Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Ed Miliband compares to his predecessors

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Ed Miliband compares to his predecessors

Now that we’re just a little under two years from the General Election, I thought it might be useful to see how Dave and Ed compare to the predecessors as Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition, and used their net approval ratings with Ipsos-Mori

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    First!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    In the next few days, I’ll do a couple of threads comparing David Cameron’s and the Government’s approval and VI ratings to their predecessors two years from a General Election.

Well, that [should] could cut down many of the arguments in this thread I would foresee appearing.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Ah, but under FPTP, Miliband can still lose the election yet win most seats...!

(the most likely scenario, imho)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    Miliband is still within MOE of all bar Hague, Kinnock and Cameron/Blair.

At the time Kinnock was on -6 Thatcher was on -54 (Cameron today is on -21).

We've a looong two years ahead of us.....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Swedish riots now spreading throughout the country:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22656657

Is there anything we could do to offer help, considering our experiences stamping out the riots?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Looks like Government is pushing ahead with Gay Marriage Bill as quickly as possible.

Lords 2nd Reading is on 3 June - first day back.

First two days of Committee stage are on 17 and 19 June.

Not sure how many Committee days there will be (there were 7 days in the Commons). But looks as if the plan is to proceed as fast as possible.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    These numbers in isolation are meaningless. What 's important is how the leader of the opposition is doing relative to the leader of the government. Thatcher might have been unattractive to the majoritory in 1977 but she was up against Jim Callaghan ,who was even less appealing .

EdM is clearly generally disliked but is he more unpopular than Cameron ?
  • Options
    @MikeL
    There are already 75 Peers down to speak in the Second Reading debate...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    edited May 2013
    Rightwing extremist reactions to muslim extremist terrorism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22664835
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

These numbers in isolation are meaningless. What 's important is how the leader of the opposition is doing relative to the leader of the government. Thatcher might have been unattractive to the majoritory in 1977 but she was up against Jim Callaghan ,who was even less appealing .

EdM is clearly generally disliked but is he more unpopular than Cameron ?

That is simply false , Callaghan's approval ratings were better than Thatcher's throughout 1977 and 1978 but were slightly inferior after the winter of discontent in 1979 . They indicate that Thatcher would not have won an autumn 1978 GE .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited May 2013
    I've updated the thread with how David Cameron compares with his predecessors.

and

How much of a lead the PM enjoys (or doesn't enjoy) over the Leader of the opposition two years before a general election.

Now back to the cricket.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

All it needed was for you to spend a bit of time looking with an open mind rather than trying to make stuff up to support your bigotry. You missed the fact that they only asked the question about stoning of those who had already said they supported Sharia law. It makes rather a big difference to the numbers.

Turkey

you said 9% ( and got all shocked about it) Actual number 3%

Indonesia (The country with the largest number of muslims in the world)

You said 42% Actual number 34%

Bangladesh

You said 54% Actual number 44%

Kyrgyzstan

You said 26% Actual number 13%

In only 5 of the countries where the question was asked about stoning (out of 20) did the majority of the muslim population agree with it.

That is a very long way from your ludicrous claims.

If I turn out to be wrong, I'm happy to be corrected, but I still think you are the one that is wrong. I believe the stoning question was asked of all Muslims. On page 54, they do list the numbers who support sharia that believe in stoning for adultery, and get numbers like 29% for Turkey:

http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/Topics/Religious_Affiliation/Muslim/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

However, I was instead getting the numbers from page 221, which get much lower numbers, like 9% for Turkey. This was, I believe, because it was asked of all Muslims, including the moderates who do not support sharia.

Where does your 3% number come from?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Not sure if its just because viewing it on a mobile device but I find the line graphs for the PMs quite confusing compared to the really clear bar graphs for the opposition leaders.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RodCrosby said:

Ah, but under FPTP, Miliband can still lose the election yet win most seats...!

(the most likely scenario, imho)

Nothing to do with FPTP at all, the same can happy under AV too. See the Australian 1998 election.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    So we want Milliband to do a Thatcher...
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall

I also note on the previous thread you accuse me of both not bothering to read the report properly to understand the numbers, and also of deliberately lying about the numbers in order to "stir up hatred". Surely the two accusations are mutually exclusive? Which one do you believe?

Frankly, you have made some rather nasty allegations on that thread. Other than the matters of fact, which I accept I may always be incorrect about - and will apologise for if I turn out to be - may I ask which phrases were the "bigotry" and the "stirring up of hatred"?

Although I think you have gone off the cliff a bit in this debate, I do think you are a man of principle and intellectual honesty, so I think you will be capable of either substantiating your claims or acknowledging you have been wrong.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Socrates said:

If I turn out to be wrong, I'm happy to be corrected, but I still think you are the one that is wrong. I believe the stoning question was asked of all Muslims. On page 54, they do list the numbers who support sharia that believe in stoning for adultery, and get numbers like 29% for Turkey:

http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedFiles/Topics/Religious_Affiliation/Muslim/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

However, I was instead getting the numbers from page 221, which get much lower numbers, like 9% for Turkey. This was, I believe, because it was asked of all Muslims, including the moderates who do not support sharia.

29% of those muslims who want sharia law agree with stoning. But if you look at the numbers on page 15 then only 12% of muslims in Turkey want sharia law in the first place.

12% of 29% is 3%
  • Options
    @Socrates
    29% of those Muslims in Turkey who think Sharia should be the law of the land think that the punishment for adultery should be stoning (p. 54). In Turkey, 12% Muslims favour making Sharia the law of the land (p. 46). Ergo the percentage of Turkish Muslims who favour stoning as a punishment for adultery is 3.4% (0.29*0.12).
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Socrates said:

29% of those muslims who want sharia law agree with stoning. But if you look at the numbers on page 15 then only 12% of muslims in Turkey want sharia law in the first place.

12% of 29% is 3%
    What you are failing to appreciate is that there may be individuals that oppose Sharia law yet still support stoning. The numbers for the overall population are depicted on page 221. The number here is 9%. The number I correctly cited.
  • Options
    We must remember, David Caneron didn't go on to win the election. So, Tony Blair was the only opposition leader at this point in the cycle who went on to win. Maybe the question should be, has any party that was in power as a minority govt. or as part of a coalition gone on to win the next election outright? The answer is no.
  • Options
    'Nothing to do with FPTP at all'

OK, pedant.

"Under the single-member constituency system, Miliband can still lose the election yet win most seats."

And last time I looked, that's going to be FPTP, not AV...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My guess is Miliband will secure a Kinnock-esque swing of around 2%.

Labour gaining around 40 seats.

Tories easily having the most votes (perhaps a million more than Labour).
    Labour the most seats, and EdM in pole position for Downing Street...
  • Options
    Looking at the various leaders and remembering the attitudes to them at the time it seems to me that voters decide they've had enough of the governing party and take a pig in a poke and vote in the opposition irrespective of leaders.

I remember Thatcher being a national joke before she became PM but then popular Uncle Jim couldn't sort out the strikes and............ the nightmare began......
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

12% of 29% is 3%
    What you are failing to appreciate is that there may be individuals that oppose Sharia law yet still support stoning. The numbers for the overall population are depicted on page 221. The number here is 9%. The number I correctly cited.
    In that case your whole argument goes out of the window. I wonder how many non muslims also favour stoning for adultery. It then becomes a socio-economic rather than a religious question.

Your original contention was that the majority of muslims in the world are extremists. The Pew report shows that to be absolutely untrue. Indeed they ask the very question about the type of event that sparked this discussion and found that in every region a vast majority disagreed with suicide bombings and other forms of attacks on civilians.

• Options
    Socrates said:

@Richard_Tyndall

I also note on the previous thread you accuse me of both not bothering to read the report properly to understand the numbers, and also of deliberately lying about the numbers in order to "stir up hatred". Surely the two accusations are mutually exclusive? Which one do you believe?

Frankly, you have made some rather nasty allegations on that thread. Other than the matters of fact, which I accept I may always be incorrect about - and will apologise for if I turn out to be - may I ask which phrases were the "bigotry" and the "stirring up of hatred"?

Although I think you have gone off the cliff a bit in this debate, I do think you are a man of principle and intellectual honesty, so I think you will be capable of either substantiating your claims or acknowledging you have been wrong.

I do not accept I have been wrong at all and I am pretty disgusted with your whole attitude to this issue.

Painting the majority of an entire religion as being extremist, particularly in the current climate, and then trying to support that with false and selective data is very clearly going to stir up hatred. It is the very thing that parties like the BNP and the white supremacists in America do all the time.

I think your behaviour on here regarding this issue has been shameful and it has radically changed the way I view you.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2013
    @Richard_Tyndall
    The point about socio-economic development is one I put to @Socrates earlier and he asked me to find some evidence. There is another, albeit not directly comparable Pew Poll for African countries, which can be found here. The findings for Christians are interesting. 70% of those in Ghana, 77% of those in Zambia, 63% of those in Liberia and 66% of those in South Africa support the view that the Bible should be the law of the land (p. 285). It seems that @Socrates' base prejudice against Muslims is behind his arguments once again.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Does it matter how Miliband rates at this point?

I'm not sure it does. The situation on the blue side of the house at this point is such that Ed can be a donkey, as long as he's relatively uncontroversial, and Labour should still come out ahead.

If the economy shows a genuine sign of recovery, one that people can see, and the Tories as a party can focus on what they should focus upon, that is winning elections and getting power then Miliband 's merits (or lack of) become way more relevant and way more of a weapon.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited May 2013
    So we're saying unless the country literally loses its mind like it did in January 1979 Miliband's *$£(*% ?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    FPT Why Ireland and developing countries should have a low corporate tax rate

"As you know there's much ventilating going on about corporate tax rates about the place. Special venom is reserved for Ireland's low rate and various development charities are turning the air blue with complaints about taxes in the developing countries. The thing is though, a small and open economy like Ireland should have a low corporation tax rate: and developing countries should probably have one of zero."

"The reason is that thing called tax incidence. Companies don't pay corporation tax: it's some combination of the shareholders and the workers who do. This is not a point in argument: the only argument is about what the portions are, not the fact that the burden falls upon these two groups. We also know what it is that influences which group: it's how large the economy is in relation to the world economy and how open it is to capital movement. The smaller and more mobile, the more the workers get it in the neck."

Read the rest here, and why lefties' hand-wringing about corporate tax is actually harmful to people they claim to want to help...

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/tax-spending/why-ireland-and-developing-countries-should-have-a-low-corporate-tax-rate
  • Options
    AndypetAndypet Posts: 36
    MikeL said:

Looks like Government is pushing ahead with Gay Marriage Bill as quickly as possible.

Lords 2nd Reading is on 3 June - first day back.

First two days of Committee stage are on 17 and 19 June.

Not sure how many Committee days there will be (there were 7 days in the Commons). But looks as if the plan is to proceed as fast as possible.

Unless Lord Dear is successful with his fatal amendment on the 3rd i.e. that the Lords decline
    to read the Bill a second time. It's likely that it will be voted on late in the day, so he's hoping to catch supporters of the bill out. If he succeeds then it could cause an indefinite delay.
  • Options
    @Andypet
    It's dubious that the reasoned amendment to the Second Reading will be approved, and even if it is, you can bet the Bill will be passed under the provisions of section 2 of the Parliament Act 1911, given the level of cross-party support in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Fascinating sideline. Adultery is still a criminal offence in 23 US states. In five of those states it is a felony offence.

Edit. Even more interesting only one of those 5 states is in the south.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Fascinating sideline. Adultery is still a criminal offence in 23 US states. In five of those states it is a felony offence.

Quick! Let's ban immigration from the United States. On the other hand, surely those statutes are unenforceable after the decision of the Supreme Court in Lawrence v Texas 539 US 558?

• Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

12% of 29% is 3%
    In that case your whole argument goes out of the window. I wonder how many non muslims also favour stoning for adultery. It then becomes a socio-economic rather than a religious question.

Your original contention was that the majority of muslims in the world are extremists. The Pew report shows that to be absolutely untrue. Indeed they ask the very question about the type of event that sparked this discussion and found that in every region a vast majority disagreed with suicide bombings and other forms of attacks on civilians.

Richard,

You have really disappointed me here in your lack of good faith. I am simply describing the factual reality, however politically inconvenient, and that is something very different from stirring up hatred. Just because unpleasant people use the same facts for other ends does not make me the same as them. I very much follow Christopher Hitchens advice that one should make their arguments as if one was writing posthumously: you should not feel bound by common political wisdom or how others may react.

I do not believe the majority of Muslims support terrorism. However, support for terrorism is only one form of extremism. Most Muslims believe in the rule of law rather than extrajudicial action. It's just that they believe in an extreme type of law. If you believe that people should be stoned for things like adultery, you hold an extreme view and you are an extremist.

From the best data we have available, it seems like the majority of Muslims in the world support stoning for at least one sort of crime. You have claimed I have lied about this data, and you have been shown to be utterly mistaken. I expected someone like yourself to be able to admit when they have been wrong about something, but unfortunately you haven't been able to this. I hope that when you go away, calm down and think this over you would be able to do so.

It is tiresome to have to do this over and over, but I will make clear my overall views about Islam and Muslims once again. I believe only a small minority support terrorism. I believe a majority worldwide, and a large minority in the West, have extremist views of one kind or the other. I believe a large minority worldwide, and a majority in the West have views that can broadly fit in with Western democracy, although are questionable in some areas like freedom of speech. I believe there is a small minority whose views one can appropriately describe as properly classical liberal. I believe such Muslims are admirable and I am glad to have them as part of British society.

I believe Muslims are perfectly capable of shaping a form of Islam that is consistent with liberal democracy and I would dearly like such a movement to become mainstream. I would like Muslims in Britain to integrate fully as I believe one can be British and liberal democratic regardless of religion. I believe there are Muslim organisations, like Quilliam, that are fully aligned with this goal and I strongly support and admire them.

If you really think such views are bigoted, I find that very sad.
  • Options
    And, for the record, what on Earth do you think the numbers on page 221 represent?!?
  • Options

Quick! Let's ban immigration from the United States. On the other hand, surely those statutes are unenforceable after the decision of the Supreme Court in Lawrence v Texas 539 US 558?

Apparently in Michigan it is a felony which is punishable by life imprisonment!!!

And if you want to divorce your adulterous spouse then do it in South Carolina since the divorce laws codified at South Carolina Code Section 20-3-60(A) deny alimony to the adulterous spouse.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

12% of 29% is 3%

Richard,

You have really disappointed me here in your lack of good faith. I am simply describing the factual reality, however politically inconvenient, and that is something very different from stirring up hatred. Just because unpleasant people use the same facts for other ends does not make me the same as them. I very much follow Christopher Hitchens advice that one should make their arguments as if one was writing posthumously: you should not feel bound by common political wisdom or how others may react.

I do not believe the majority of Muslims support terrorism. However, support for terrorism is only one form of extremism. Most Muslims believe in the rule of law rather than extrajudicial action. It's just that they believe in an extreme type of law. If you believe that people should be stoned for things like adultery, you hold an extreme view and you are an extremist.

From the best data we have available, it seems like the majority of Muslims in the world support stoning for at least one sort of crime. You have claimed I have lied about this data, and you have been shown to be utterly mistaken. I expected someone like yourself to be able to admit when they have been wrong about something, but unfortunately you haven't been able to this. I hope that when you go away, calm down and think this over you would be able to do so.

It is tiresome to have to do this over and over, but I will make clear my overall views about Islam and Muslims once again. I believe only a small minority support terrorism. I believe a majority worldwide, and a large minority in the West, have extremist views of one kind or the other. I believe a large minority worldwide, and a majority in the West have views that can broadly fit in with Western democracy, although are questionable in some areas like freedom of speech. I believe there is a small minority whose views one can appropriately describe as properly classical liberal. I believe such Muslims are admirable and I am glad to have them as part of British society.

I believe Muslims are perfectly capable of shaping a form of Islam that is consistent with liberal democracy and I would dearly like such a movement to become mainstream. I would like Muslims in Britain to integrate fully as I believe one can be British and liberal democratic regardless of religion. I believe there are Muslim organisations, like Quilliam, that are fully aligned with this goal and I strongly support and admire them.

If you really think such views are bigoted, I find that very sad.
    No matter how often you repeat a falsehood that does not make it true. You have no where shown that the majority of muslims are extremists even by your own terms since that relies upon manipulated, partial and false data.

Your whole contention is false and, I repeat, bigoted. More than that it is a position which provides support to the extremists in Britain who want to use terrorist attacks as a justification for attacking the whole Muslim community here.

I am an atheist. I pretty much detest religion of all kinds. But to try and paint one very large section of the world's population as extremist based on no evidence at all is downright wrong.

I suspect from the comments posted by others you are in a very small minority which at least is some comfort. But I am afraid your contentions here today have done huge damage to my opinion of you.
  • Options

@Richard_Tyndall
    The point about socio-economic development is one I put to @Socrates earlier and he asked me to find some evidence. There is another, albeit not directly comparable Pew Poll for African countries, which can be found here. The findings for Christians are interesting. 70% of those in Ghana, 77% of those in Zambia, 63% of those in Liberia and 66% of those in South Africa support the view that the Bible should be the law of the land (p. 285). It seems that @Socrates' base prejudice against Muslims is behind his arguments once again.

Firstly, the Christian population of Africa is only a small share of Christians worldwide. While many Christians in Africa do have extreme views, they are massively dwarfed by the Christian populations of Europe and the Americas, which are much more moderate.

Secondly, you are correct when you say it is not directly comparable. I do not believe Muslims that support sharia law, or Christians that support biblical law, are necessarily extremists as there are multiple interpretations of both types of law. It is fairly common for religious types to simply find an interpretation, however tenuous, that ignores the unpleasant bits of their religion. In regards to the direct issue of stoning, it is worth bearing in mind that the last word in the Bible on this was Jesus of Nazareth stating "let he who is without sin cast the first stone", a clear teaching against the practice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We're definetely seeing a big improvement in our business (small construction firm) this spring.

We actually had our first major roof repair for about six years come in last week.

Perhaps, just perhaps, things are starting to get better?
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall

"No matter how often you repeat a falsehood that does not make it true. You have no where shown that the majority of muslims are extremists even by your own terms since that relies upon manipulated, partial and false data."

Your claims of manipulation and false data were shown up entirely by the data on page 221, which you haven't been able to respond to. Your entire argument rests on this fundamental falsity.

I agree the data is partial, but I believe the estimations by using nearby countries' data is broadly reasonable. If we get data from those countries which show my estimates were too high, and this changes the overall outcome, I am happy to withdraw the claim. However, ultimately whether it's a narrow majority or a narrow minority it doesn't really matter. The reality is that around 600m Muslims or so have extremist views.

I am sorry that pointing out this fact upsets people so much.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    As well as looking at polls, you have to use political judgement in order to get a good estimate of how things might change over the next couple of years.

I think it's fair to say that there's little likelihood of Ed Miliband's ratings improving as voters take a closer look. He's not the disaster which many on here and elsewhere were saying in 2011, but he's not very good. He might be good enough to become the next PM by default, especially since the Tories seem to have rediscovered their old habit of wanting to lose elections.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Firstly, the Christian population of Africa is only a small share of Christians worldwide.

The point is that where Christians are found in underdeveloped countries, they tend to support superstition and have a far lower commitment to Western secularism, just as the secular Western democracies of today supported what you would desribe as "extremism" when they were at similar levels of socio-economic development. Yes, there are many readings of the Bible, but I know for a fact I sure as hell wouldn't like to live in a country where it was the law of the land.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Random news you could potentially find interesting

- Labour selected Margaret Greenwood in Wirral West.

- The Tories apparently ditched Edgbaston in favour of Northfield as top target in Birmingham

- Usual round of deselections for Labour in Redbridge. Dropped Cllrs switching to Independents

- Plaid Euro list: 1) Jill Evans MEP 2) Marc Jones 3) Stephen Cornelius 4) Ioan Bellin

- Conservatives have announced shortlists of candidates to be ranked by membership for some Euro regions (London, North West, South West) but as incumbents have been re-selected at the top there, newcomers don't have a real chance of being elected (assuming Con won't gain seats next year). If you are interested in some of these regions, I can go and search for the names again (they are somewhere on ConHome)
  • Options
    Deuteronomy

21"18 If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, 19 then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his home town. 20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 "Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear of it and fear,"

22 "20 But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you,"

This is from the holiest book in the Christian faith. Our children are encouraged to read this book to this very day.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@Richard_Tyndall

"No matter how often you repeat a falsehood that does not make it true. You have no where shown that the majority of muslims are extremists even by your own terms since that relies upon manipulated, partial and false data."

Your claims of manipulation and false data were shown up entirely by the data on page 221, which you haven't been able to respond to. Your entire argument rests on this fundamental falsity.

I agree the data is partial, but I believe the estimations by using nearby countries' data is broadly reasonable. If we get data from those countries which show my estimates were too high, and this changes the overall outcome, I am happy to withdraw the claim. However, ultimately whether it's a narrow majority or a narrow minority it doesn't really matter. The reality is that around 600m Muslims or so have extremist views.

I am sorry that pointing out this fact upsets people so much.

They are not facts. They are your bigoted interpretation of them.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Firstly, the Christian population of Africa is only a small share of Christians worldwide.

The point is that where Christians are found in underdeveloped countries, they tend to support superstition and have a far lower commitment to Western secularism, just as the secular Western democracies of today supported what you would desribe as "extremism" when they were at similar levels of socio-economic development. Yes, there are many readings of the Bible, but I know for a fact I sure as hell wouldn't like to live in a country where it was the law of the land.
    I don't disagree with any of your points. But none of them change the fact that you have not provided evidence of equally widespread extremism, on the level of supporting stoning adulterers, in the Christian world. Or even the developing Christian world.
  • Options

As well as looking at polls, you have to use political judgement in order to get a good estimate of how things might change over the next couple of years.

I think it's fair to say that there's little likelihood of Ed Miliband's ratings improving as voters take a closer look. He's not the disaster which many on here and elsewhere were saying in 2011, but he's not very good.

You mean Dan Hodges criticism of Ed The Red might actually be a bit OTT? :O

If Rod Crosby is right and Miliband becomes PM after losing the election, the 2015-2020 parliament should certainly be "interesting" in light of that fact and Ed having to make cuts while his voters will be expecting business as usual. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    "They are not facts. They are your bigoted interpretation of them."

You're not even using arguments any more!

A simple question - have the intellectual honesty to respond: does the data on page 221 cover the entire Muslim population of each country or not?

On Deuteronomy, yes, it's disgusting. However, most Christians believe that such law has been replaced by the teachings of the Gospels, or don't even know that passages exist.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

He might be good enough to become the next PM by default, especially since the Tories seem to have rediscovered their old habit of wanting to lose elections.

I'm not sure the Tories want to lose the election, just panicking a bit because of the opinion polls.

Some say divided parties go down in the polls, but equally the party may be divided because they are down in the polls.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Interesting graphs, thanks TSE. It's quite difficult to draw conclusions from any sample as small as this since there are so many intervening factors. For instance, a Martian inspecting them might suppose that Foot must have done much better than Hague, but not so. All one can really say is that neither leader rating suggests a decisive advantage, so the election will probably be won or lost on other factors, mainly perhaps the default deciding factor of perceived government competence. Agent Cameron is doing a good job for us there.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Agent Cameron is doing a good job for us there.

Richard Nabavi said Cameron's the best Prime Minister for half a century. :O

• Options
    WilliamOWilliamO Posts: 16
    On General Election day 7th May 2015 people will take one look at posters of Milliband - a student that looks like he has lost his text book and say "No thanks"!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Out of interest, are there any bets available that the Tories will win the Popular Vote?

There's a guy who analysed the local elections for 40 years, and concluded on Labour's performance in 2012 that there was an 86% chance (IIRC) that the Tories would win the PV in 2015.

And Labour did worse relatively this year than last...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    If laws they be I'm sure nobody takes a blind bit of notice.

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/forever/oddlaws.htm

I've (been) driven through Ohio and it seemed normal to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Richard_Tyndall
    Michigan Penal Code, Chapter 750, section 32:
    'If any persons after being divorced from the bonds of matrimony for any cause whatever, shall cohabit together, they shall be liable to all the penalties provided by law against adultery.'
    So if you get divorced in South Carolina, don't move to Michigan!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    Socrates said:

22% according to Wiki, not that small.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Although there's a LD target list on UKPR, I'm still working on my own target list at the moment because it'll have the same kind of extra information that was included on my Con and Lab target lists.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good evening, everyone.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC. Will have a quick look at the odds and see how things stack up.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If Rod Crosby is right and Miliband becomes PM after losing the election...

I look forward to his biography...

Title: The Unwanted Prime Minister... perhaps...?
  • Options

Socrates said:

22% according to Wiki, not that small.
    It is pretty small. It's only a third of the combined Christian population of the Americas and Europe, who will have much more moderate views.

I'm quite happy to admit that there is a large minority, at least, of African Christians that have extremist views. The Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill, for instance, initially included a clause for the death penalty for gay acts. That wouldn't have happened without widespread support in the country. Such views are a widespread problem and I wouldn't want people supporting them immigrating to the UK.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Laying Munich in 90 mins at 1.80 seems fair value.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2013
    Christianity didn't exist when the old testament was written:
    John 8:1 to 8:11

8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t - new poll in Ireland shows FG slipping back relative to FF again:

FG - 26%
    FF - 26%
    SF - 16%
    Lab - 11%
  • Options
    Sky: soldier stabbed in Paris by "man of North African appearance"....
  • Options
    Hmm. Unusual quandary. I could actually lay both my Rosberg and Hamilton to win bets and end up green whatever happens.

But I didn't tip those bets and I wouldn't make those bets if I hadn't already backed the drivers to win. Hmm.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Neil said:

o/t - new poll in Ireland shows FG slipping back relative to FF again:

FG - 26%
    FF - 26%
    SF - 16%
    Lab - 11%

So what ? CDU/CSU , SPD and FDP are the important polling numbers for Eire.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @AndyJS
    Do you have a link to your list of Conservative targets please? I have already bookmarked the Labour ones on my main computer.
    AndyJS said:

Although there's a LD target list on UKPR, I'm still working on my own target list at the moment because it'll have the same kind of extra information that was included on my Con and Lab target lists.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Bought the Adonis '5 Days in May' today - anyone read it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RodCrosby said:

My guess is Miliband will secure a Kinnock-esque swing of around 2%.

Labour gaining around 40 seats.

Tories easily having the most votes (perhaps a million more than Labour).
    Labour the most seats, and EdM in pole position for Downing Street...

Interesting conundrum for a party believing passionately in PR.

Support the party with far more votes, or the party with more seats in (they believe) an illegitimate system.

Oh...sorry....durrr... It's the LibDems. They'll just mouth some pieties and then do what is in their party political interest.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited May 2013
    amazing if depressingly predictable that people seem determined to follow the instructions of a murderous madman by "going to war" in the UK.
  • Options
    as for EdM, when was the last time a non-media-perfect-PM-type was voted in by the public (I don't mean switched in mid-term like Major, Brown)? EdM is certainly not media-perfect.
  • Options

Deuteronomy

21"18 If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, 19 then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his home town. 20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 "Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear of it and fear,"

22 "20 But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you,"

This is from the holiest book in the Christian faith. Our children are encouraged to read this book to this very day.

Richard, if you had studied Christianity a little more rather than just dismissing all religions you'd understand that the New Covenant had entirely replaced the Old Covenant. Deuteronomy is only interesting as a historical record of the Jewish law at a point in time 2000 years ago
  • Options
    Charles said:

Perhaps they just go with the party that comes closest to offering PR.

Actually, they would have a pretty strong hand if the election produces a wrong winner...

What would Labour's answer be to the fairness question?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Charles said:

What would Labour's answer be to the fairness question?
    Where are the keys? Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Charles
    It is perfectly true that the Old Testament does not bind gentiles. Yet Christianity has historically been fundamentally and violently intolerant. Aquinas strongly supported the execution of relapsed heretics, and vigorous crusading against Jews and Infidels who threatened to institute dominium over Christians
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Charles said:

Interesting scenario (and imho, the most likely)

The LDs could say we're not going to enter into coalition with a party which has lost the election, unless they agree to change the system to prevent a re-occurrence.

The public would probably back that, so Labour would be left to limp on in a minority situation, if they dared, or they might simply decline to take office...
  • Options

@AndyJS
    Do you have a link to your list of Conservative targets please? I have already bookmarked the Labour ones on my main computer.

AndyJS said:

Conservative targets (for swings of up to 10%):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dEk1TlVqMHhNUXFBWlhSNU1hd0FYSHc#gid=0

Labour targets for anyone who's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDRiT1FSRTF2bjVYRThSTnRaNzFXMlE#gid=0
  • Options
    Adrian Chiles is never going to grow into a good anchor.
  • Options
    Considering Raikkonen at 17.5. I'm not quite sure if that's mental or inspired. I suspect it's mental.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

So what ? CDU/CSU , SPD and FDP are the important polling numbers for Eire.

Really? What policy differences that might affect Ireland have you detected between them?
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been posted before but Germany voted the most popular country in the world is really extraordinary. I'd have voted for them because they are the best and most professional country to work for by quite a distance. To live in it has to be France for their taste culture and sunshine but nontheless extraordinary turn around for Germany

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/germany-worlds-most-popular-country/story-fni0xqll-1226649635537
  • Options
    Four new selections added to the list today: Labour in Wirral West, and UKIP in Cheltenham, Epping Forest and Surrey East:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dFkzTjFrRmJRN3F6ODBTTEs4NGFhcUE#gid=0
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm sure this has been posted before but Germany voted the most popular country in the world is really extraordinary. I'd have voted for them because they are the best and most professional country to work for by quite a distance. To live in it has to be France for their taste culture and sunshine but nontheless extraordinary turn around for Germany

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/germany-worlds-most-popular-country/story-fni0xqll-1226649635537

All very well but there's not a good restaurant to be had for love nor money in Frankfurt.
  • Options
    Mr. T, those are fine odds indeed. Hope you made a pretty penny from your punting.
  • Options
    According to Sky News one of the Woolwich suspects was "a regular fixture on the pavement next to the Cutty Sark."

Makes one wonder whether he might have allegedly had anything to do with the fire that almost destroyed the ship in 2007:

http://news.sky.com/story/1095577/woolwich-murder-suspect-held-two-months-ago
  • Options
    wow - 86,000 Borussia Dortmund's regular home gate. We are amateurs in so many ways here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Topping

"All very well but there's not a good restaurant to be had for love nor money in Frankfurt."

Move to Hamburg or Berlin. But I take your point and they are getting better
  • Options
    Many congratulations to the Guardian on choosing a photo of the most gormless-looking EDL supporter for this report:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/25/woolwich-attack-islam
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,798

Deuteronomy

This is from the holiest book in the Christian faith. Our children are encouraged to read this book to this very day. </

It sounds very reasonable to me.

• Options
    SeanT said:

@Charles
    It is perfectly true that the Old Testament does not bind gentiles. Yet Christianity has historically been fundamentally and violently intolerant. Aquinas strongly supported the execution of relapsed heretics, and vigorous crusading against Jews and Infidels who threatened to institute dominium over Christians

Indeed. Dante's Inferno is famously intolerant: Dante meets the Prophet Mohammed in one of the nastier circles - Mohammed's entrails are hanging between his legs, and his entire body is almost split in two, as he pitifully displays his own viscera in his hands.
    Seriously? You would never have guessed from the way he shepherded the ball out of danger and upfield to Robben.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

@Charles

Crusading was more about solving the political problem of what do you do with the well-trained and violent second sons of the nobility in a system built on primogeniture.

The simple answer is: support them to take land from someone else. The next problem is how do you facilitate that in a complex society where many noble families were interrelated across national boundaries. The answer: find someone who is outside that network. Next, how do you justify it: find moral purpose (originally abuse of pilgrims) to give legitimacy.

Very little to do with Christianity per se.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Charles said:

Interesting scenario (and imho, the most likely)

The LDs could say we're not going to enter into coalition with a party which has lost the election, unless they agree to change the system to prevent a re-occurrence.

The public would probably back that, so Labour would be left to limp on in a minority situation, if they dared, or they might simply decline to take office...
    Personally I think the LDs would benefit from time in opposition in this scenario. They either get to prop up a Labour government that has (presumably) espoused fundamentally different economic positions to the last government - they risk annoying their right-leaning support and not gaining the trust of their former lefties. Alternatively they can recut a deal with the Tories - any risk a perception that they are one sided. And I suspect the negotiation would be a whole lot tougher this time round.

(and by the way - the Adonis "offer" to the LibDems was silly. It gave them no economic post. They won't accept that.)

• Options
    Actually, the intentions behind the First Crusade were entirely reasonable ones; to defend the Byzantine Empire against the Turkish onslaught, and they were pretty successful in so doing.
  • Options
    Mr. F, they rather forgot about that by the time of the Fourth, though...
  • Options
    @Charles
    It is interesting that you appear to support the materialist, and for that matter neo-Marxian interpretation of the origins of the Crusades. It is a view which has been increasingly rejected in the historiography, where ideological and religious motivations have been stressed as paramount. I would recommend you read the works of J.S.C. Riley-Smith, I.S. Robinson, and C. Hillenbrand before commenting further.
  • Options
    And Outremer itself was actually pretty religiously tolerant by the standards of its time.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

"They are not facts. They are your bigoted interpretation of them."

You're not even using arguments any more!

A simple question - have the intellectual honesty to respond: does the data on page 221 cover the entire Muslim population of each country or not?

On Deuteronomy, yes, it's disgusting. However, most Christians believe that such law has been replaced by the teachings of the Gospels, or don't even know that passages exist.

Been out for a meal and a drink to clear my head. Came back and reread the argument from the start in the hope I would be able to find some common ground with you.

Trouble is I can't. Your original contention was false and you have tried to support it in a way I find totally dishonest.

On the specific of Turkey there is clearly a problem with the two sets of data we are using even though they are from the same source. I find it unconvincing that those who do not support Sharia law would still agree with the most extreme element of that law for reasons of religious belief. So we return to the point that both I and others have made which is that there is clearly a socio-economic element in the findings. Of course you won't accept this because you are so desperate for this to be all about muslim extremism and nothing else will be considered but that bigoted view.

Even so, your desperate attempts to make the numbers add up to a majority of muslims by filling in the gaps to suit your argument show that in truth you do not have a reasoned argument to present.

You want the majority of muslims to be extremists even though the survey you are relying on itself says that the evidence is exactly the opposite.

As I said before it is very sad as until now I thought you far far better than that. Providing the BNP and EDL with the (false) intellectual basis for their arguments is nothing to be proud of.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

No12 in the Olympic Medal table last year and now this, Time for Yorkshire to cast off the underperforming UK rump, and fulfill our destiny
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Roger said:

Indeed. The Federal Republic has been an enormous success. Huge credit should go to men like Roosevelt, Churchill and Adenauer. Their efforts made a liberal state with a liberal minded people out of the wreckage of one of the most horrific regimes of all times, and from a population where support for liberalism had been very thin. If such a feat is possible for Germany, it is possible for every nation on Earth. It is wonderful to see the black, red and gold flag of the 1848ers, that was so ruthlessly crushed at the time, now flying so strongly.
This discussion has been closed.