Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No promotion and the backbenchers are restless

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No promotion and the backbenchers are restless

The stability that coalition has brought to government is in many ways a good thing, allowing ministers to settle in post, become fully acquainted with their brief, see legislation through from design to statute, and reduce uncertainty. Almost certainly, there will be just the one significant reshuffle – that carried out last summer – with any casual vacancies filled with minimum disruption.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    Good morning, everyone.

'tis another lovely day. On leadership, the Conservatives would be muppets to remove Cameron likewise Labour Miliband. There's potentially something for the Lib Dems to gain by axing Clegg (depends on whether he's giving a commissioner gig, which would be ideal for them). If they want to do that they need to get a bloody move on, though.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2013

Good morning, everyone. 'tis another lovely day.

Good morning Mr. Dancer. The sun is shining and it is indeed.

I agree, the die is cast for the two main parties now. This is probably how we will go into the General Election as regards leadership. Of the fringe parties the same except perhaps the LDs. Clegg would be a fool to bet his house on a move to the EU as his retirement package. There are many people eager to see him come a cropper and find him left with nothing.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,921
    The Nasty Party's stats fib strategy is clear:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/31/ministers-misuse-statistics-resign

Make something up, get it out via the right wing press and let it percolate; all in the knowledge that when the official rebuke from stats people is issued this will be given very little coverage. It really is wonderfully cynical stuff and if vulnerable people and whole professions are stigmatised as a result, well who really cares? After all, they are not "one of us".
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2013
    @SO
    Its not as though Labour didn't misuse statistics. Just think back to Brown and the Golden rule, or Labour announcing and then re-announcing and re-announcing again spending to make it look as tho there was an endless pot of gold..
    When you think about damage, just remember what Brown did to the Country.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

@SO
    Its not as though Labour didn't misuse statistics. Just think back to Brown and the Golden rule, or Labour announcing and then re-announcing and re-announcing again spending to make it look as tho there was an endless pot of gold..

That both parties are guilty of misusing statistics is all the more reason for us to consider what we can do to prevent it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    @so

're stats - your labelling 'nasty party' about what all political parties do all the time implying it is uniquely a Conservative trait simply betrays your own prejudice. As for stigmatising professions I'm unclear who you mean. The fact is that most professional associations lobby shamelessly against the govt of the day with little care for accuracy or often even honesty.
  • Options

@SO

"Labour did it too" is not a justification, I'm afraid; especially for mistruths which stigmatise very vulnerable people.

However, my post was more about what looks to be a deliberate strategy. It may be completely dishonest, but it is very effective. Whoever dreamed it up is very clever, as well as extremely cynical, of course.

Tories who moan about the right wing press might usefully reflect on what an asset it remains for their party - from Mr Men to one million incapacity benefit malingerers they can be relied on to unquestioningly follow the line and so set the agenda. And when the rebuke comes and the fib is exposed they can also be relied on to ignore that. Job done.

• Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @GroomB: Councils cut exposure to Co-op Bank. via @PickardJE. http://on.ft.com/138UDzQ
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

@SO

"Labour did it too" is not a justification, I'm afraid; especially for mistruths which stigmatise very vulnerable people.

However, my post was more about what looks to be a deliberate strategy. It may be completely dishonest, but it is very effective. Whoever dreamed it up is very clever, as well as extremely cynical, of course.

Tories who moan about the right wing press might usefully reflect on what an asset it remains for their party - from Mr Men to one million incapacity benefit malingerers they can be relied on to unquestioningly follow the line and so set the agenda. And when the rebuke comes and the fib is exposed they can also be relied on to ignore that. Job done.

It was a Labour govt that devised the disability tests and gave the contract to administer it to Atos, who by astonishing coincidence sponsored events at the Labour conference and New Statesmen events. Their are many similar links between Labour Politicians and private companies interested in govt healthcare contracts, such as Patricia Hewitt and Boots and Cinvin.

So spare us your outrage, and ask Labour whether they repudiate this period of office or plan to reverse it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2013
    Clever of Labour to narrowly win the most votes in Broxtowe despite only winning one of the seven county council divisions...
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    Nigel Evans back in the news with more allegations against him. I'm wondering where the Rennard-gate style media firestorm is right now? Where are the front pages from the Mail and Telegraph? Double standards, much?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,598
    Miliband and Balls prepare to talk tough on spending
    Ed Miliband and Ed Balls will set out to prove that Labour is not soft on benefit claimants, or profligate with taxpayers’ money, in speeches next week."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10092877/Miliband-and-Balls-prepare-to-talk-tough-on-spending.html
  • Options
    @Tim

Hypocrisy hypocrisy hypocrisy - hilarious hilarious hilarious!!!
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Double standards, much?

No, not at all you partisan moaner. It's been all over the papers and the story spent enough time filling Sky's rolling news to become tediously repetitive.

• Options
    tim said:

@SO

It was a Labour govt that devised the disability tests and gave the contract to administer it to Atos, who by astonishing coincidence sponsored events at the Labour conference and New Statesmen events. Their are many similar links between Labour Politicians and private companies interested in govt healthcare contracts, such as Patricia Hewitt and Boots and Cinvin.

So spare us your outrage, and ask Labour whether they repudiate this period of office or plan to reverse it.
    How does any of that explain the campaign of lies by Shapps and IDS?

It doesnt, and I did not claim that it did.

It just demonstrates the hypocracy of the Labour party on the issue.

Anyone expecting a chango of policy on the issue with a change to a Milliband govt is deluded.

To quote George Galloway: the coalition and Labour are two cheeks on the same arse; a sentiment that Farage would agree with but perhaps not quite so colourfully.
  • Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    @PickardJE: Guardian: "Labour pledge to cap structural welfare spending, not including extra cash paid due to recession": sounds too clever by half
  • Options

@SO

Not sure what any of that has to do with misrepresenting statistics to present a distorted picture of the truth for political purposes.

• Options

@SO

Not sure what any of that has to do with misrepresenting statistics to present a distorted picture of the truth for political purposes.

Yeah. That never happened under spin free Labour.

45 minutes ring any bells?
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Nigel Evans back in the news with more allegations against him. I'm wondering where the Rennard-gate style media firestorm is right now? Where are the front pages from the Mail and Telegraph? Double standards, much?

"The former intern said he had just finished a stint in the House of Commons and was in the bar with his parents – he was showing them around parliament and had stopped off for a drink – when the alleged incident occurred. Evans, it is claimed, stood with his back to the former intern and groped his bottom for around a minute.

A spokesman for Evans said on Friday: "Mr Evans is unaware of the complaint and vigorously denies any wrongdoing."'

Allies of Evans added that it was "beyond credibility" to suggest that the deputy speaker would fondle an intern in a bar in the presence of his parents."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/31/nigel-evans-sexual-assault-allegations

I guess what's missing is the bit about how the intern complained to the party, it's leadership, several MPs - and no action was taken......
  • Options

MBoy said:

"The former intern said he had just finished a stint in the House of Commons and was in the bar with his parents – he was showing them around parliament and had stopped off for a drink – when the alleged incident occurred. Evans, it is claimed, stood with his back to the former intern and groped his bottom for around a minute.

A spokesman for Evans said on Friday: "Mr Evans is unaware of the complaint and vigorously denies any wrongdoing."'

Allies of Evans added that it was "beyond credibility" to suggest that the deputy speaker would fondle an intern in a bar in the presence of his parents."

I guess what's missing is the bit about how the intern complained to the party, it's leadership, several MPs - and no action was taken......
    It is a very odd claim. A minute is quite a long time. Easy enough to move away even if not assertive to confront Evans.

Very odd indeed. One wonders what his motivation in coming forward now with this claim of assault is.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Just catching up with the allegations re Mr Mercer - if accurate, he really needs to take a long look at himself when it comes to throwing rocks at others.

I read James Kirkup's piece when the story broke and it struck me as very odd in tone - simultaneously sad, angry and disappointed. It came across as if he'd thought quite highly of Mr Mercer until now. I must say - I never expected him to get involved in anything like this.

"Not all MPs are scum. Many MPs work hard for their constituents, doing their job to the best of their ability and sometimes even do some good.

So, much as it saddens me say so, here’s the worst thing Mr Mercer has done: he’s given voters another reason to write off all MPs as being as weak and greedy as him." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100219601/patrick-mercer-another-disaster-for-parliament/
  • Options

MBoy said:

It is a very odd claim. A minute is quite a long time. Easy enough to move away even if not assertive to confront Evans.

Very odd indeed. One wonders what his motivation in coming forward now with this claim of assault is.
    Publicity over alleged sexual assaults often brings forward other complainants - what's slightly curious about this one is that the complainant has not yet been to the police:

"This week police contacted the former intern, who now has a full-time job away from parliament, and asked for a statement."
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2013
    Good morning all.
    I mentioned the Turkey protests in Istanbul in my final post, last night.
    However the situation has now worsened. Trust a government to make things worse by violent crackdown. Many secular Turks are getting fed up with their muslimist government.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22739423
  • Options
    tim said:

On the Mercer case, Cameron promised a recall bill, bottled it, promised funding for open primaries,bottled it,promised a lobbyist register,bottled it.

Is he planning to do some more furrowed brow promising?
    He's had to stop the monthly press conferences he also promised to do, so it'll be on a sofa somewhere I guess

I would favour all these things. Are they yet written on Ed Millibands sheet of paper?

Would a register of Lobbyists cover activities like the support that Atos gave the Labour conference before they got the contract for assessing disability benefits?
  • Options

tim said:

On the Mercer case, Cameron promised a recall bill, bottled it, promised funding for open primaries,bottled it,promised a lobbyist register,bottled it.

Is he planning to do some more furrowed brow promising?
    He's had to stop the monthly press conferences he also promised to do, so it'll be on a sofa somewhere I guess

I would favour all these things. Are they yet written on Ed Millibands sheet of paper?

Would a register of Lobbyists cover activities like the support that Atos gave the Labour conference before they got the contract for assessing disability benefits?
    It's worth noting that no lobbying firms have actually been involved - they were all fake ones conjured up by journalists. Lobbying is about bending ears to your side of the argument - having a list of them won't make any difference - all we can do is make the transactions transparent and be vigilant.
  • Options
    Interesting test case coming up of what happens when a 'trading-but-out-of -the-EU' country - Switzerland - seeks to limit free movement of labour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22738774

Quotas on the number of EU citizens working in Switzerland have come into effect for one year.

Switzerland, which is not an EU member, says immigration has reached unacceptable levels, with foreigners making up a quarter of the population.
  • Options

To quote George Galloway: the coalition and Labour are two cheeks on the same arse; a sentiment that Farage would agree with but perhaps not quite so colourfully.

...and quite a substantial proportion of the public.

The obvious downside of fixed-term governments is that you inevitably have lame-duck leaders who can't keep the troops on their toes.

The UKIP-esque party within the Tory party is going to have a field day once the Euro-issue bandwagon starts picking up speed as it approaches the next few stops... Mediterrean bailout defaults... Romanians & Bulgarians... and the Euro elections next May.

I suppose Labour might see a benefit in keeping schtum about Europe, and allowing some panicking Europhiles to flee to the LibDems, as it would give impetus to forces tearing at the seams of the coalition.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    Tim, that guy is so sad.
  • Options
    tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

And we thought this guy was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuNuqIev8M

Get off your high horse tim. Muslimist is not a new word I've coined (though I wish it were). In fact muslimists appear not to be so fanatical in their religion:
    http://aayjay.wordpress.com/tag/muslimist/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    edited June 2013
    Good article - I'm sure it's an accurate reflection of what many backbenchers think.

What puzzles me is the absence of defections to UKIP (probably from the Tories though you never know). It doesn't seem to be due to a shortage of MPs who largely agree with them. Nor is the PCP notable for passionate personal loyalty to Cameron. These days, it doesn't necessarily mean losing the seat at the next election (if the MP wants to stand again, and many don't) - indeed, for a Tory in a marginal it could be a survival strategy. A defection guarantees much more limelight and potential influence on public debate than being the MP for Sleepyshire.

The only explanation I've come up with is social loyalty - MPs don't want to disappoint their constituency associations. But I'd think a defector could take a chunk of the association with them. So what's really holding them back, and will it persist?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Get off your high horse tim. Muslimist is not a new word I've coined (though I wish it were). In fact muslimists appear not to be so fanatical in their religion:
    It is quite an interesting neoligism. It suits those who are not too adherent to their professed religion, such as drinking alcohol and fornicating, but aggressive when their religion is slighted.

Mind you, this is a fairly universal phenomenon. It is fine for me to slag off our country and government, but woe betide the Frenchman or yank that does the same!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

perhaps he found it rather funny/sad and didn't want to make a scene in front of his parents so he ignored it at the time;
    - he now sees the opportunity to use it to damage Evans and the Tories politically so he has decided to go public.

This is of course assuming that it ever happened in the first place. It could easily be a bandwagon-jumping political smear attempt.
    I think we should extend to this complainant the same courtesy as to those who complained about Rennard.

At least in this case - so far - it does not appear that multiple complaints to the party hierarchy were effectively ignored or swept under the carpet.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

Good article - I'm sure it's an accurate reflection of what many backbenchers think.

What puzzles me is the absence of defections to UKIP (probably from the Tories though you never know). It doesn't seem to be due to a shortage of MPs who largely agree with them. Nor is the PCP notable for passionate personal loyalty to Cameron. These days, it doesn't necessarily mean losing the seat at the next election (if the MP wants to stand again, and many don't) - indeed, for a Tory in a marginal it could be a survival strategy. A defection guarantees much more limelight and potential influence on public debate than being the MP for Sleepyshire.

The only explanation I've come up with is social loyalty - MPs don't want to disappoint their constituency associations. But I'd think a defector could take a chunk of the association with them. So what's really holding them back, and will it persist?

If I was in that position it I think I'd wait a bit. You don't want to jump only to see UKIP fizzle. And you'd be more use to them closer to the general election, say a few months after the Euros when their profile is starting to fade.
  • Options
    tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Whatever you think that "piece" is saying it certainly bears no relation to the Turkish Govt.

Yep! The Turkish government is Christian to the core.
  • Options
    tim said:

GeoffM said:

perhaps he found it rather funny/sad and didn't want to make a scene in front of his parents so he ignored it at the time;
    - he now sees the opportunity to use it to damage Evans and the Tories politically so he has decided to go public.

This is of course assuming that it ever happened in the first place. It could easily be a bandwagon-jumping political smear attempt.
    I think we should extend to this complainant the same courtesy as to those who complained about Rennard.

At least in this case - so far - it does not appear that multiple complaints to the party hierarchy were effectively ignored or swept under the carpet.
    Nobody knows do they?
    Given one was a Back Bench MP, the other close friend of the Leader, Director of Campaigns and Chief Executive of the Party, with responsibility for recruiting more female candidates, and about whom there had been several complaints, I think the lack of curiosity is more explicable in the former than the latter.....
  • Options
    MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Whatever you think that "piece" is saying it certainly bears no relation to the Turkish Govt.

The area of modern Turkey is now more than 99% Muslim and oppression of Christians there puts into perspective "Islamophobia" in the UK.

http://barnabasfund.org/UK/News/Archives/Praying-for-the-Persecuted-Church-in-Lent-Turkey.html

One advantage of Turkey entering the EU would be the ending of legal discrimination against Christians and other minorities. It is quite possible that with wealthy Germans buying up the Anatolian coast to retire, and expelled Anatolian Greeks reclaiming areas that they were expelled from in 1923 that we may see a significantly more multicultural Turkey in the future. Right of movement works in both directions ;-)
  • Options

I think we should extend to this complainant the same courtesy as to those who complained about Rennard. At least in this case - so far - it does not appear that multiple complaints to the party hierarchy were effectively ignored or swept under the carpet.

I thought that there was a certain amount of witch-hunt in the Rennard situation too. Once the ball is rolling in a scenario like Rennard then anyone he's once made a slightly risque joke to is tempted to crawl out of the woodwork for their 15 minutes.

Agree wholeheartedly with you that the disregard followed by a coverup is always the killer in any scandal. And it's missing in the Evans case, hence the issues are not as comparable as MBoy would like them to be.

• Options
    The example of Bob Spink, the last (and indeed only) Tory MP to defect to UKIP so far, is not one to encourage others.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

LOL well perhaps at one level; it's what a DUP government would look like. When islamists are banging on it's always best to dub them with a Ballymena accent - it keeps the "progressives" happy.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

Nobody knows do they?
    Given one was a Back Bench MP, the other close friend of the Leader, Director of Campaigns and Chief Executive of the Party, with responsibility for recruiting more female candidates, and about whom there had been several complaints, I think the lack of curiosity is more explicable in the former than the latter.....
    Meaning you were certainly more interested in the former than the latter for obvious reasons.
    Meaning you can't tell the difference between a Back bench MP and the Chief Executive of a Party, responsible for female candidate recruitment. For obvious reasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/9891352/Nick-Clegg-admits-he-knew-of-Lord-Rennard-rumours-for-years.html

"Nick Clegg admits his office knew of Lord Rennard rumours for five years
    Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has been forced to admit his office knew for years of claims that a senior party figure might be sexually molesting volunteers and staff"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    GeoffM said:

Agree wholeheartedly with you that the disregard followed by a coverup is always the killer in any scandal. And it's missing in the Evans case, hence the issues are not as comparable as MBoy would like them to be.

Except that the allegations include rape, rather than brushing someone's leg. Obviously you don't consider that to be very serious, and neither does the rest of the Tory press. Others do.

As it happens I think the media has handled the Evans case pretty sensibly. I'm just disappointed they don't offer that behaviour to others.

Btw, Evans is not a "backbench" MP - he is Deputy Speaker, which is quite an important post.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

And spend the next 2 years working in and HoC where hlaf of them think you're an idiot and the other half think you're a traitor? Doesn't sound much fun.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Off-topic:

Has anyone read this week's Charlemange? If so, considering the last paragraph, maybe 'Spreadsheet' Hammond could be off-to-pastures-new in the near future.... :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:
    Interestingly, nobody in the media seemed interested in following up that specific lead. There was no interest at all. In fact, still no one has followed it up, months later. How bizarre? With Rennard, when Clegg's office stupidly hesitated in their response, the media pack went over them with a fine-toothed comb and let them have it with innuendo for days.
  • Options
    Charles said:

And spend the next 2 years working in and HoC where half of them think you're an idiot and the other half think you're a traitor? Doesn't sound much fun.

George Galloway manages it...

• Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

Nobody knows do they?
    Meaning you were certainly more interested in the former than the latter for obvious reasons.
    Meaning you can't tell the difference between a Back bench MP and the Chief Executive of a Party, responsible for female candidate recruitment. For obvious reasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/9891352/Nick-Clegg-admits-he-knew-of-Lord-Rennard-rumours-for-years.html

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has been forced to admit his office knew for years of claims that a senior party figure might be sexually molesting volunteers and staff"
    Let's see what the various investigations reveal.
    But your Rennard posting Pre Eastleigh were clearly related to your barrage of posts trying to show that the Tory candidate in the by election wasn't an imbecile.
    My postings were related to the LibDems postings that 'this wasn't a story' and others who were posting that it was 'a got up Tory smear' - like Ch4 are Tory tools!

As you say, the police are now investigating both and we shall see what the outcome is in due course.

But one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chief Executive of a Party - that's not going away, however inconvenient.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

If I was in that position it I think I'd wait a bit. You don't want to jump only to see UKIP fizzle. And you'd be more use to them closer to the general election, say a few months after the Euros when their profile is starting to fade.
    I think OldKingCole has it right on this. Any UKIP sympathising MP who is hoping to get re-elected at the next GE will be looking at the possibilities of doing that under the UKIP banner and will, I suspect, be deciding the odds are not good. The example of Bob Spink is not a happy one and no one has any faith yet that the local election success and the good showing in polls and by-elections can be translated into an actual seat.

Even the Euros may not change this perception because everyone knows the track record of the (non) relationship between Euro success and GE success.

I suspect that we will not see defections of any MPs who still want to have a future at Westminster until after UKIP have actually won seats outright themselves. Once that happens then defections may well be a lot more common.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MBoy said:

tim said:

Nobody knows do they?

Downing Street refused to say whether David Cameron was made aware of the allegations at the time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10039340/Nigel-Evans-Deputy-Speaker-accused-of-rape-was-interviewed-four-years-ago-about-inappropriate-sexual-behaviour.html

There was no interest at all. In fact, still no one has followed it up, months later. How bizarre? With Rennard, when Clegg's office stupidly hesitated in their response, the media pack went over them with a fine-toothed comb and let them have it with innuendo for days.
    Because one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chief Executive of a Party?

The Lib Dems contributed magnificently to their own misfortune - with their 'evolving' narrative then playing the victim claiming this was an Eastleigh stitch up.....

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    NO MORE PERSONAL INSULTS PLEASE
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

Nobody knows do they?

But your Rennard posting Pre Eastleigh were clearly related to your barrage of posts trying to show that the Tory candidate in the by election wasn't an imbecile.
    My postings were related to the LibDems postings that 'this wasn't a story' and others who were posting that it was 'a got up Tory smear' - like Ch4 are Tory tools!

As you say, the police are now investigating both and we shall see what the outcome is in due course.

But one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chairman of a Party - that's not going away, however inconvenient.

Or one was a Deputy Speaker and the other wasn't Chairman of A Party, depending on the point you are trying to make and the desired accuracy of your post.
    Evans was a Back Bench MP at the time of the story you linked to. Rennard was ChairmanChief Executive of the Party at the time of the complaints.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    OT but related to yesterday.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but if the Telegraph revelations are true (and it seems an open and shut case to me based on the evidence they present) I find it increasingly difficult to believe that Mercer can survive as an MP. Surely allegedly offering to sell HoC passes has got to be something the police have to get involved with?
  • Options

I think OldKingCole has it right on this. Any UKIP sympathising MP who is hoping to get re-elected at the next GE will be looking at the possibilities of doing that under the UKIP banner and will, I suspect, be deciding the odds are not good. The example of Bob Spink is not a happy one and no one has any faith yet that the local election success and the good showing in polls and by-elections can be translated into an actual seat.

Even the Euros may not change this perception because everyone knows the track record of the (non) relationship between Euro success and GE success.

I suspect that we will not see defections of any MPs who still want to have a future at Westminster until after UKIP have actually won seats outright themselves. Once that happens then defections may well be a lot more common.
    I guess the trick would be to take most of the local association with you so that Tories don't have a decent hope of putting up a decent challenge. Assuming you can pull that off, it's another reason to leave it until close to the election: If you're able to take the party infrastructure with you, you don't want to give the Tories enough time to rebuild their own.
  • Options

Plus we'll have the usual cries from the jilted party (never the party you are going to, oddly) that a by-election is needed. Resign and stand again under your new banner, is the predictable demand.

Mind you, doing that and timing a by-election for the same day as the EU elections could well see a UKIP candidate over the line.

• Options

Because one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chairman of a Party?

The Lib Dems contributed magnificently to their own misfortune - with their 'evolving' narrative then playing the victim claiming this was an Eastleigh stitch up.....

Actually, one was Deputy Speaker while the other was a backbencher in the Lords.

But you're right about the problem of the "evolving" narrative. The Tories have avoided this problem by simply saying "no comment", and amazingly the press have responded by saying "Oh, okay then. We just wondered if you had anything to say about this, or knew anything about it when it happened, or asked any questions, or if anyone mentioned anything to you. But since you've said that you have no comment we'll just go back home and do some gardening instead".

LOL. You lot are hilarious.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

Nobody knows do they?

But one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chairman of a Party - that's not going away, however inconvenient.

Or one was a Deputy Speaker and the other wasn't Chairman of A Party, depending on the point you are trying to make and the desired accuracy of your post.
    Evans was a Back Bench MP at the time of the story you linked to. Rennard was Chairman Chief Executive of the Party at the time of the complaints.

I think you probably mean Chief Exec
    Thx - fixed.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Edmundintokyo, my understanding, and I was active in local affairs in that constituency for a long time, and still have contacts there, is that Spink took a considerable amount of the local association with him, although Charles is also right in that many others in the LA regarded him as a traitor.
    And, sometimes at least, as a fruitcake!

That not everyone, by any means, went with Spink did give the rump time to rebuild.
  • Options
    MBoy said:

GeoffM said:

Except that the allegations include rape, rather than brushing someone's leg. Obviously you don't consider that to be very serious, and neither does the rest of the Tory press. Others do.

As it happens I think the media has handled the Evans case pretty sensibly. I'm just disappointed they don't offer that behaviour to others.

Btw, Evans is not a "backbench" MP - he is Deputy Speaker, which is quite an important post.
    They are also the subject of a police investigation for (presumably) criminal charges. IIRC, at the time the newspaper storm was at its height, the police went involved in the Rennard case.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

And spend the next 2 years working in and HoC where half of them think you're an idiot and the other half think you're a traitor? Doesn't sound much fun.

George Galloway manages it...

And there are few like him

(thank goodness!)
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Because one was a Back Bench MP, the other Chairman of a Party?

Actually, one was Deputy Speaker while the other was a backbencher in the Lords.
    Nope.

At the time of the initial complaint about Evans, which tim linked to (2009) Evans was a Back Bench MP, and was elected Deputy Speaker in June 2010.

At the time of the (it would appear largely ignored/brushed under the carpet - but the Lib Dems have got two investigations into it) complaints about Rennard he was Chief Executive of the Lib Dems, tasked with recruiting more female candidates.

• Options
    I know I should get out more, but what is it about Newark constituency? First the sad case of Fiona Jones, now this.
  • Options
    Excellent and thoughtful article DH,

There was a very large number of new MPs in 2010, both because of Conservative gains, and also the unusual number of retirements in 2010 from fallout of the expenses scandal. I think near 50%. Few novice MPs would expect to go straight into government, but 3 years later some must be feeling a little held back in their ambitions. Some like Louise Mensch may feel a little disillusioned by the life on the back benches, but others may be starting to get restive. A relatively small reshuffle this summer/autumn may be in order, to bring on a few fresh faces, and perhaps prune out a few duds, but mostly at sub-cabinet level.

I suspect that the absence of UKIP defections is more due to the uncertainty of how much of the UKIP phenomenon is a bubble, and how much is real. The anti-party feelings that I expressed down thread goes from Galloway to Farage, and getting it to cohere into an ordered manifesto is not easy.

If Cameron wins the next election, it would be the end for a defector, and if he loses it would be the end of Cameron. The end of Cameron would almost certainly lead to a much more Eurosceptic- even europhobic- leadership. It would seem sensible to therefore not defect to UKIP, and if in a safe seat, sit tight, and if in a marginal seat then cater to the potholes and Nimbys to keep the best chance of staying in post.

Remember how many Labour to SDP defectors lost their seats in 1983? including some who believed that they would take their voters with them. It is a very high risk move.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The Nasty Party's stats fib strategy is clear:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/31/ministers-misuse-statistics-resign

Make something up, get it out via the right wing press and let it percolate; all in the knowledge that when the official rebuke from stats people is issued this will be given very little coverage. It really is wonderfully cynical stuff and if vulnerable people and whole professions are stigmatised as a result, well who really cares? After all, they are not "one of us".

Can you really have forgotten the last Labour government so quickly?

Or just turning a blind eye?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

The area of modern Turkey is now more than 99% Muslim and oppression of Christians there puts into perspective "Islamophobia" in the UK.

http://barnabasfund.org/UK/News/Archives/Praying-for-the-Persecuted-Church-in-Lent-Turkey.html

One advantage of Turkey entering the EU would be the ending of legal discrimination against Christians and other minorities. It is quite possible that with wealthy Germans buying up the Anatolian coast to retire, and expelled Anatolian Greeks reclaiming areas that they were expelled from in 1923 that we may see a significantly more multicultural Turkey in the future. Right of movement works in both directions ;-)
    I can't see Turkey ever joining the EU. The major British parties might be stupid enough to think giving free movement for another 70m poor people to come here, but Germany isn't.
  • Options
    Excellent point, foxinsoxuk!

It links, too, with the comments that have been made earlier about the importance of the local association, and the point frequently made in other threads about the strength of the LibDems in many at least of the seats that they do hold, as demonstrated at the recent locals.

IIRC, in many of the seats lost by defectors in 1983, most of the Labour local party stayed loyal to Labour, which left the SDP-ers with no door-knockers etc.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,807
    The attitude of opposition MPs is, of course, just the opposite. With only one real chance of obtaining office in 2015 they are more compliant than usual, not daring to espouse anything that could remotely be seen as a policy.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "@UKIP are neck and neck with the Tories and Labour in the latest Donside poll. "

https://twitter.com/OttoInglis/status/340511761226661888

Anyone know what poll this is?
  • Options

"@UKIP are neck and neck with the Tories and Labour in the latest Donside poll. "

https://twitter.com/OttoInglis/status/340511761226661888

Anyone know what poll this is?

Yes, we discussed it last night. It's a local newspaper voodoo poll with 90 respondents, or something like that.

• Options
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

I can't see Turkey ever joining the EU. The major British parties might be stupid enough to think giving free movement for another 70m poor people to come here, but Germany isn't.
    None of that matters while Greece and Cyprus have vetos
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Foxinsoxuk:
    Remember how many Labour to SDP defectors lost their seats in 1983? including some who believed that they would take their voters with them. It is a very high risk move.
    -----------------------
    You have a point there. the difference being that in UKIP we have the making of a mass movement, which the SDP clearly wasn't. However if I were an MP and leaned towards the UKIP position, I would wait until after the EU elections next year unless a new Black Swan moment arrived out of the blue.

Now I must away, with wife, for a bit of culture at the V&A. See yers later.;)
  • Options

OT but related to yesterday.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but if the Telegraph revelations are true (and it seems an open and shut case to me based on the evidence they present) I find it increasingly difficult to believe that Mercer can survive as an MP. Surely allegedly offering to sell HoC passes has got to be something the police have to get involved with?

MPs have some Commons passes for assistants which they generally need, but MPs in safe seats sometimes tell an NGO, say the Campaign for Bigger Stamp Collections, that they've got one they don't use and they wouldn't mind using it have an assistant whose main task is looking after the all-party group on stamp-collecting for the MP. I'm not sure this particular allegation goes beyond that. It all gets messy when it's part of a larger deal for which money is involved, obviously, and I'd hesitate to speculate until we've heard both sides.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

I think it unlikely that Turkey would be allowed in, with German, Austrian and Balkan countries all not being very keen, even if pretending to support it.. Unemployment of Ethnic Turks in Germany is double that of ethnic Germans, so if they cannot find work, and subsist on benefits there would seem to be little need for a large influx of new migrants.

It would require Turkey to change considerably, and in effect become secular in law to a much greater degree than it is at present. The reconquista may not be over!

I cannot see any major country joining the EU for a while, though some bits of old Yugoslavia may do so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11283616

In the future I could see Ukraine and the Caucasian republics being serious applicants, and It has been espoused by Ukranian politicians as a desire.

On a related note, I recruited my first Romanian doctor this week, the first of many I expect. There were no UK trained applicants for the post, which has a track record of getting to substantive consultant posts in the UK after a year or so. Her description of life as a doctor in Romania was very telling. She earned £400 pounds a month, and the people were too poor to pay for the treatments she was prescribing. It was not just the salary (she will earn ten times that in Leicester) that attracted her, but the prospect of professional development, and to treat patients to a much higher level. I am looking forward to working with her, and the language skills will be useful when we develop a bigger Romanian community next year.

• Options
    tim said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

I think it unlikely that Turkey would be allowed in, with German, Austrian and Balkan countries all not being very keen, even if pretending to support it.. Unemployment of Ethnic Turks in Germany is double that of ethnic Germans, so if they cannot find work, and subsist on benefits there would seem to be little need for a large influx of new migrants.

It would require Turkey to change considerably, and in effect become secular in law to a much greater degree than it is at present. The reconquista may not be over!

I cannot see any major country joining the EU for a while, though some bits of old Yugoslavia may do so.

In the future I could see Ukraine and the Caucasian republics being serious applicants, and It has been espoused by Ukranian politicians as a desire.

On a related note, I recruited my first Romanian doctor this week, the first of many I expect. There were no UK trained applicants for the post, which has a track record of getting to substantive consultant posts in the UK after a year or so. Her description of life as a doctor in Romania was very telling. She earned £400 pounds a month, and the people were too poor to pay for the treatments she was prescribing. It was not just the salary (she will earn ten times that in Leicester) that attracted her, but the prospect of professional development, and to treat patients to a much higher level. I am looking forward to working with her, and the language skills will be useful when we develop a bigger Romanian community next year.

Oh no, those damn Romanian doctors are going to be over here doctoring and medicining and treating and operating and everything.
    Like I said, the first of many!

Remember our little bet? you owe me a pint if more than 50 000 Romanians and Bulgarians come in the first year after the movement retrictions end.

I may want a pint of Ursus, I am sure that soon pubs will want to stock it to keep up with demand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursus_(beer)
  • Options
    JohnWheatleyJohnWheatley Posts: 140
    Just a quick thank you to TSE for the really interesting collection of web articles on the Nighthawks intro. In particular the stuff by Ford and Goodwin on UKIP should send shiffers down Labour spines - key points I gleaned

1. If they are right, from now on, the more the UKIP vote grows the more it affects Labour.
    2. The much neglected white working class is most drawn to UKIP
    3. The "like for like" rise in UKIP support year on year is around 11%. Much of the total rise year on year was down to having more candidates
    4. Don't argue with UKIP on their ground - it merely feeds the beast. Either ignore it, or steal its clothing.
    5. Yes their support is male and elderly and not funky and fashionably young and female. And......
    6. While they link UKIP to far right radical parties in Europe, which are authoritarian in outlook, I'd have thought Farage himself is intuitively libertarian. In fact I could see him coming into conflict with his party because of it in the future

Labour has to look at it's historic base - the white working class, and also do it with enthusiasm, rather than looking like they are merely responding to polling data and covering off a base.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293
    Charles said:

MBoy said:

GeoffM said:

They are also the subject of a police investigation for (presumably) criminal charges. IIRC, at the time the newspaper storm was at its height, the police went involved in the Rennard case.
    The Rennard case only achieved the prominence it did because of the Eastleigh by-election. As soon as the election was over, it disappeared out of sight.

The Daily Mail, loyal as ever, did what it could to blow the matter up - "Fury Of The LIB Dem Women" was one classic headline - but it didn't do the trick and even Paul Dacre must have realised his organ was in danger of looking ridiculous, so it dropped the campaign.

Evans is a different gether altothing. If there is any substance in the charges, he will have to resign, and present UKIPpers with the by-election opportunity they have been aching for.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293

MBoy said:

That's hialrious, Carlotta!

A minute is a hell of a time to put up with that if he wasn't enjoying it. I think if it hd happened to me, I would have let him continue - not in the hope of a bum-bashing but just to see how far he would go.

Anyway, we have to wait to see what charges may follow. If we are in by-election territory, it's a gift for UKIP - but there may nothing in it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Rentoul on TV debates:

Nigel Farage has got himself some more oxygen by saying UKIP will take legal action if it is excluded from the TV debates at the next general election. The Independent’s report this morning has a panel by me (scroll down) on the party leader’s strengths and weaknesses in that format.

All good clean fun, but the important thing about the TV debates is that they are not going to happen in the 2015 election.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/06/01/tv-debates-not-going-to-happen/

Also interesting work on how Miliband comes across:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-warns-let-ukip-into-studio-for-tv-election-debates-or-ill-take-you-to-court-8640326.html?origin=internalSearch

Focus groups conducted by the Tories are understood to have re-enforced the arguments of those in Downing Street who say they could give Ed Miliband an electoral advantage.

Party strategists showed short clips of Mr Miliband taken from news programmes and asked voters to rate the Labour leader. The groups were then shown longer videos of his speeches and question-and-answer sessions and asked whether it had changed their views.

Sources said that voters in the focus groups had an overwhelmingly more positive view of Mr Miliband when shown the longer films.

A Downing Street insider said: “If you only watch Miliband for a couple of minutes the first thing you think is that he looks a bit odd and sounds a bit odd and you don’t really listen to what he says.

“But when you see him for longer you start listening properly and he tends to have a more positive response.”
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Oh no, those damn Romanian doctors are going to be over here doctoring and medicining and treating and operating and everything.
    Hope I lose, it'll be a sign of economic recovery.
    I dont think it would be a sign of recovery. The Poles and Baltics came in the midnoughties during the Brown boom. Unless Romania and Bulgaria suddenly sprough growth rates that would lead the world even austerity Britain would have streets paved with gold.

It is worth pointing out that my new recruit is permitted under existing rules, not needing the Jan relaxation. That only applies to those without firm job offers. She is the sort of well qualified migrant with excellent English who will integrate well, and applied for a job that no UK graduate wanted.

Very different to Labour's open door policy.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

tim said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

I dont think it would be a sign of recovery. The Poles and Baltics came in the midnoughties during the Brown boom. Unless Romania and Bulgaria suddenly sprough growth rates that would lead the world even austerity Britain would have streets paved with gold.

It is worth pointing out that my new recruit is permitted under existing rules, not needing the Jan relaxation. That only applies to those without firm job offers. She is the sort of well qualified migrant with excellent English who will integrate well, and applied for a job that no UK graduate wanted.

Foxinsoxuk, as someone who knows what's going on the the world of medicine, any idea WHY this post apparently appealed to no British graduate? Every other university discipline seems to be increasing it's "production"; is this the case in medicine.
    Genuine question.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

As long as the TV stations get two leaders, they should just announce they're going ahead and will leave empty chairs for anyone else. The US stations do this all the time, and eventually the politicians buckle.
  • Options
    Chinese woman on dateline claiming that China doesn't interfere in internal politics. This is just a complete lie as has been shown by Zambian politics in recent years. Why is it that no journalist ever calls them out on this crap?
  • Options
    @Socrates

Loved Rentoul's description of the pluses and minuses of each leader - here's Farage:

Nigel Farage:

Plus Engaging plausibility of a cheeky uncle. Everyone agrees with Ukip policies to spend more, cut taxes and pay off the national debt.

Minus Like a pub bore, you suddenly realise after the third drink that you have nothing in common with him at all.
  • Options
    Oh dear it looks like Cameron's flaccid "Wet Willie's" latest idea is a load of cobblers

Why William Hague’s ‘red card’ plan won’t work

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/why-william-hagues-red-card-plan-wont-work/
  • Options
    tim said:

Socrates said:

@CarlottaVance

As long as the TV stations get two leaders, they should just announce they're going ahead and will leave empty chairs for anyone else. The US stations do this all the time, and eventually the politicians buckle.

It'll only be Cameron who bottles it.
    He's cancelled his monthly press conference for almost two years, gets parliament to rise on a Tuesday to avoid PMQs, is trying to wriggle out of the debates for a number of reasons.

If possible he'll try and stick to selected photo ops with world leaders and his "As a father"/ Dave's Date Nights act as far as possible
    An empty chair labelled David Cameron would add some light relief to the "debates".
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

The example of Bob Spink, the last (and indeed only) Tory MP to defect to UKIP so far, is not one to encourage others.

Bob Spink was MP for Castle Point.

Interestingly, Castle Point was one of the constituencies UKIP "won" at the county council elections in May.

http://survation.com/2013/05/ukip-won-in-8-westminster-constituencies-last-thursday/
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    @Carlotta

While I think the debates are not a good thing I think the one thing we can guarantee is the debates will happen. The power to hold them now the precedent is in place lies firmly in the hands of the tv companies.

It is my understanding that as long as the leaders of the lib dems,labour, and conservatives are invited to take part then the show can go on even if one or more refuses. The invite I would have though fulfils the rules for lack of bias.

If a major party refused to provide party political broadcasts to fill the offered slots in the run up to an election you certainly wouldn't see the tv companies telling the other parties this meant that their ppb's couldn't be shown either.

If Cameron for instance refuses and Sky goes fine well there will be an empty chair and we will ensure it has equal air time in the debates, feel free to change your mind I am not sure there is a lot that could be done about it and he would end up having to take part.

For this reason I would also expect Farage to be included as the TV companies have the whip hand and it will make for a better tv experience
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Afternoon all :)

Given the events of 2010, I can understand David Cameron's caution when it comes to the televised debate format. It's entirely credible to argue the 60-minute setpiece interview will play better for Cameron who will be able to defend in depth rather than to Miliband who will be forced to explain in depth.

It's entirely credible to argue that since only the Conservative and Labour Party leaders are likely to be the next Prime Minister, then they alone should take part in debates and interviews. The problem with that is the possibility of another Parliament with no majority for any single party. It therefore becomes important to know what other parties might be saying as prospective Government partners or supporters. Indeed, the non-Tory and non-Labour represents a third of the electorate so it seems curious that they should be completely excluded.

It seems wholly appropriate for those considering voting Liberal Democrat, UKIP, Green or whatever to understand the proposed position of their party vis-a-vis the two main parties in the event of a Parliament with no overall majority for any one party and indeed wholly appropriate for those considering voting Conservative or Labour to understand what they intend to do in the same situation.

On that basis alone, NIgel Farage deserves a seat at the table but he needs to be considered not as a potential Prime Minister (which he manifestly isn't) but as a potential supporter of a future Conservative or Labour-led Government or indeed to justify supporting neither if that's the line he wishes to take.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Foxinsoxuk, as someone who knows what's going on the the world of medicine, any idea WHY this post apparently appealed to no British graduate? Every other university discipline seems to be increasing it's "production"; is this the case in medicine.
    Genuine question.

I do wonder myself! We have a reputation for providing excellent training, and being a congenial department. As I am sure you are aware British doctors are paid good salaries, though some more than this as the post has no on call payments. As there is no on call, the hours are quite compatible with family life. Previous postholders have progressed to substantive Consultant jobs both in house and elsewhere in the country.

It is a slightly unfashionable speciality (part of the reason for the good prospects of promotion) and the Midlands are nor for everyones taste.

I think in large part we are seeing the fallout of Labours disastrous MMC changes to medical training. We lost over ten thousand doctors in that shake up andthe manpower planning was very poor. British graduates canot get posts to train to the entry level for this post.
    In addition British grads are unwilling or unable to move.

Around 30% of Foundation graduates (ie 2 years post qualification) are not practicing medicine in the UK. We have astonishingly achieved the both medical unemployment and a medical staffing crisis similtaneously. It is very difficult to recruit in some specialities such as GPs in urban areas, Psychiatry (where 93% of trainees are now from outside the UK) andfor Senior Training posts in Emergency medicine (Casualty) there were 98 applicants for 200 posts nationally, and many of those were lacklustre. You can see how undesireable many of these posts are if despite the pay and prospects people prefer to leave medicine. I hate Patricia Hewitt for what she did more than any other politician of my lifetime.

Rant over. That lawn wont cut itself!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    OT for TV watchers - just finishing Supernatural S2 and what a huge improvement it is on S1 - its got some light touches, not shot in the dark and isn't some dad/sons/rivalry cliched storyline.

Highly recommend it if you're into this genre - the alias in-jokes are most amusing too. So far, I've counted 6 actors from Warehouse13 and Eureka in the cast playing other roles...
  • Options
    stodge said:

Given the events of 2010, I can understand David Cameron's caution when it comes to the televised debate format. It's entirely credible to argue the 60-minute setpiece interview will play better for Cameron who will be able to defend in depth rather than to Miliband who will be forced to explain in depth.

It's entirely credible to argue that since only the Conservative and Labour Party leaders are likely to be the next Prime Minister, then they alone should take part in debates and interviews. The problem with that is the possibility of another Parliament with no majority for any single party. It therefore becomes important to know what other parties might be saying as prospective Government partners or supporters. Indeed, the non-Tory and non-Labour represents a third of the electorate so it seems curious that they should be completely excluded.

It seems wholly appropriate for those considering voting Liberal Democrat, UKIP, Green or whatever to understand the proposed position of their party vis-a-vis the two main parties in the event of a Parliament with no overall majority for any one party and indeed wholly appropriate for those considering voting Conservative or Labour to understand what they intend to do in the same situation.

On that basis alone, NIgel Farage deserves a seat at the table but he needs to be considered not as a potential Prime Minister (which he manifestly isn't) but as a potential supporter of a future Conservative or Labour-led Government or indeed to justify supporting neither if that's the line he wishes to take.

That is a false premise. We are not voting for a Prime Minister (who can be replaced at their party's insistence at any time e.g. Tony Bliar) we are choosing the party which we believe will form the next government. To that end any party should be included that contests sufficient seats to theoretically form a government in its own right whether or not there is any likelihood of them actually receiving sufficient votes to form that government.
  • Options
    Blair not 'Bliar' doh typo!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited June 2013
    Ed must be praying that if the debates go ahead Farage won't be participating.

'Such concerns are wrapped in a serious loss of trust. In 2012, trust among the "white working class" in government stood at 23%, equalling the worst figures under New Labour. But when working-class voters were asked who would make the best prime minister, only 22% said Ed Miliband, while 42% said they did not know. This means that for every one (white) working-class voter who supports Miliband's bid for the premiership, there are two who reject all three mainstream leaders. Some may link this to ignorance, but the figures have worsened since 2010, as Miliband has become more widely known.

There are some inside Labour who see the Ukip army assembling on the hills. The MP John Mann argues that Labour must "wake up and get real on immigration", while Blue Labour types hope to translate intellectual debate into genuine connections with workers. But recognising a problem is always easier than solving it. The resentments fuelling Ukip run deep, and have built up over two decades of marginalisation and neglect. Apologies are a start. But there will be no quick fix.'
  • Options
    This is outrageous:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22739736

Marine Le Pen clearly says some very unpleasant things, but criminal prosecution for speech that isn't encouraging anyone to do anything violent is outrageous. Where does this end? Would comparing Muslims praying in the street to the Taliban also result in racism charges? What about saying a particular black guy looks like Robert Mugabe?

This sort of stuff just shows what a crock of shit the European project is. It's whole justification is supposed to be to stand up for democratic values, yet they're quite happy to trample all over free speech, one of democracy's most fundamental values. It's such a screwed up thing that Britain's former colonies in America still hold up the great Whig principles developed here, while the UK is sacrificing her constitution to an institution that doesn't give a damn about them. John Locke must be turning over in his grave.
  • Options
    @stodge It's not likely that David Cameron will be Prime Minister after 2015.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

stodge said:

That is a false premise. We are not voting for a Prime Minister (who can be replaced at their party's insistence at any time e.g. Tony Bliar) we are choosing the party which we believe will form the next government. To that end any party should be included that contests sufficient seats to theoretically form a government in its own right whether or not there is any likelihood of them actually receiving sufficient votes to form that government.
    So basically anyone who wants a seat at the table simply has to fund candidates in 326 seats so from that we can work out the cost of democracy is £326,000. I suspect there would be a number of wealthy takers who for the opportunity to have national exposure for their own views would fork out the money.

That seems an odd way to proceed. I'm far more interested to know what UKIP supporters think their party should do were they to be in a position to help form or influence the next Government and on that Nigel Farage has been strangely reticent.

We've seen for example UKIP Councillors in Norfolk joining forces with Labour and the Liberal Democrats to form an anti-Conservative administration - I've not heard or seen a comment from Nigel Farage on this either.
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

MikeK said:

tim said:

@MikeK

"muslimist"

Genuine question.

I do wonder myself! We have a reputation for providing excellent training, and being a congenial department. As I am sure you are aware British doctors are paid good salaries, though some more than this as the post has no on call payments. As there is no on call, the hours are quite compatible with family life. Previous postholders have progressed to substantive Consultant jobs both in house and elsewhere in the country.

It is a slightly unfashionable speciality (part of the reason for the good prospects of promotion) and the Midlands are nor for everyones taste.

I think in large part we are seeing the fallout of Labours disastrous MMC changes to medical training. We lost over ten thousand doctors in that shake up andthe manpower planning was very poor. British graduates canot get posts to train to the entry level for this post.
    In addition British grads are unwilling or unable to move.

Around 30% of Foundation graduates (ie 2 years post qualification) are not practicing medicine in the UK. We have astonishingly achieved the both medical unemployment and a medical staffing crisis similtaneously. It is very difficult to recruit in some specialities such as GPs in urban areas, Psychiatry (where 93% of trainees are now from outside the UK) andfor Senior Training posts in Emergency medicine (Casualty) there were 98 applicants for 200 posts nationally, and many of those were lacklustre. You can see how undesireable many of these posts are if despite the pay and prospects people prefer to leave medicine. I hate Patricia Hewitt for what she did more than any other politician of my lifetime.

Rant over. That lawn wont cut itself!

To make an analogy: we needed to appoint a trained plumber for specialist work, part supervised. In 2006 the government halved the number of UK apprentice plumbers appointed, and the half that were appointed were really better suited to hairdressing. As such we could not find a British plumber so recruited our Romanian. Unemployed Brits look on jealously.

In medicine we are really just paralleling what has happened in other artisan trades. Our politicians are to blame, and I see why more people are flocking to any alternative, even the chimera that is UKIP.
  • Options

@Socrates

Loved Rentoul's description of the pluses and minuses of each leader - here's Farage:

Nigel Farage:

Plus Engaging plausibility of a cheeky uncle. Everyone agrees with Ukip policies to spend more, cut taxes and pay off the national debt.

Minus Like a pub bore, you suddenly realise after the third drink that you have nothing in common with him at all.

I think that says more about John Rentoul than it does about Nigel Farage. For those of us that aren't ex-Oxbridge liberal media types, we do feel we have a fair amount in common with him.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

This is outrageous:

Marine Le Pen clearly says some very unpleasant things, but criminal prosecution for speech that isn't encouraging anyone to do anything violent is outrageous. Where does this end? Would comparing Muslims praying in the street to the Taliban also result in racism charges? What about saying a particular black guy looks like Robert Mugabe?

This sort of stuff just shows what a crock of shit the European project is. It's whole justification is supposed to be to stand up for democratic values, yet they're quite happy to trample all over free speech, one of democracy's most fundamental values. It's such a screwed up thing that Britain's former colonies in America still hold up the great Whig principles developed here, while the UK is sacrificing her constitution to an institution that doesn't give a damn about them. John Locke must be turning over in his grave.

It sounds like a dumb (potential) prosecution judging by the BBC write-up, but what's it got to do with the European project, whatever that is? All the EU Parliament is doing is lifting parliamentary immunity from prosecution. A lot of countries don't even _have_ parliamentary immunity from prosecution. (Rightly IMHO, unless they have very politicized judiciaries.)
  • Options
    tim said:

Socrates said:

This is outrageous:

What have the charges to do with the EU?

Your position seems to be that EU MPs should be legally immune, I thought you were opposed the the EU project, why are you arguing the MEPs should not be subject to French law?
    I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in European courts set up to protect human rights that will intervene to make sure we have to give marriage visas to 18 year olds just sit on their hands when free speech is trampled upon. I'm sure it's entirely unrelated to the fact that Marine is anti-EU.
This discussion has been closed.