Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour and the economy

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour and the economy

That nearly half of all voters (46.8%) believe that Labour “cannot be trusted with the economy”. Less than one-third (30.1%) believe that Labour can be trusted with the nation’s finances.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Prudent move by Balls on ending benefits for wealthy pensioners, something Osborne should have done ages ago. Not so prudent to cut free schools and police commissioners, a genuinely positive Coalition reform
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    George Eaton has written three good articles on Balls' speech in the News Statesman (which, incidentally, is a much better journal of the left than the increasingly wretched Guardian). In the latest, he spots another major U-turn ahead:

Balls also signalled that, with growth finally returning, he would soon abandon his expensive pledge to introduce a temporary VAT cut (which Ed Miliband had such trouble defending in his infamous World At One interview)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/balls-sharpens-his-axe-where-labour-would-cut-2015

But the main thing Balls doing is, in Eaton's words: Balls has embarked on a gigantic softening-up exercise [of Labour supporters]. It's a bid to say 'Actually, Osborne was right and we can't reverse any savings, in fact there will be more savings in the next parliament.'

Expect fireworks as the unions and other vested interests get lobbying.
  • Options
    ranierranier Posts: 10
    Coming out of long lurk mode..

I swear before the 2010 elections there were a lot of posts about how Cameron/Osborne were less trusted than Brown/Darling, but it didn't matter because at the 1997 election the Conservatives were more trusted than Blair/Brown.

The increase in blame for Labour for cuts is not good for them though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Labour might get some credit for finally admitting they are going to help clean up their mess.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Much as I enjoy PB guest Tory slots, it's getting a bit overkill now and I'm looking forward to Mike coming back.

For what it's worth, if voters feel that all parties are crap on the economy (and they do indeed think the Tories are crap) then other issues might become the deciding factor.

And the Tories will be even less keen for "other issues" to be decisive than they are to have their economic record front and centre.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    I'm afraid EdM and EdB will forevever be Brown's boys and Brown is a latter day Herbert Hoover.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Balls by name, Balls by nature?

:)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I support the move to remove benefits from better-off people. Makes absolute sense.

The wife and me both work and both do okay and we still get (although much reduced) benefits for the kids. God knows why we get handouts when there are people literally starving out there. It's barking.

Also, with regard to Balls being the spawn of Brown. I think Balls will forever be associated with Brown and as a 'Brownite' but he is a much more rounded, clever, mendacious and smart politician than one who will simply dance to the tune of a Brownite core, or the Unions, or anyone for that matter. He shouldn't be underestimated.

He is one politician of few out there who will attempt to make people dance to his tune. A definite signpost of a politician. He spent years being hugely unpopular with many within the Labour party as Brown's guard dog, an outspoken and sometimes rude layer down of the law. He won't worry too much about making more enemies in a bid to win a majority for Labour. The Tories should beware.

As I've said many times before, how Balls squares the circle of cuts and austerity with the demands of the unions (Serwotka and McCluskey particularly) will be crucial to whether or not Labour look ready to run the economy.
  • Options
    Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) has died at the age of 89 of viral pneumonia, The Bergen Record reported Monday, citing the senator’s office.
    Lautenberg had struggled with health issues earlier this year, missing more than six weeks in the Senate while in recovery.
    Earlier this year, Lautenberg announced that he would not seek reelection.
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) will fill the vacant Senate seat.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Fenster said:

how Balls squares the circle of cuts and austerity with the demands of the unions (Serwotka and McCluskey particularly) will be crucial to whether or not Labour look ready to run the economy.

Balls will never get Serwotka onside as Serwotka is a trot. Balls wont have to worry about McCluskey because he will want to beat the Tories as much as Balls does.
  • Options
    Michael Bloomberg on why UK lawmakers should back gay marriage
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/02/gay-marriage-democracy-equal-rights
  • Options
    Obama has abandoned progressive principles, such as stopping drone attacks and shutting down Guantanamo, because he is afraid of being assassinated, telling friends, "Don’t you remember what happened to Martin Luther King Jr.?" retired CIA analyst Ray McGovern said today.

He’s afraid of what happened to Martin Luther King Jr. And I know from a good friend who was there when it happened, that at a small dinner with progressive supporters – after these progressive supporters were banging on Obama before the election, Why don’t you do the things we thought you stood for? Obama turned sharply and said, "Don’t you remember what happened to Martin Luther King Jr.?" That’s a quote, and that’s a very revealing quote.

McGovern spoke on WBAI's show Law and Disorder this morning. He was talking about his recent article calling Obama "a wuss" and speculated that Obama had also placed John Brennan as head of the CIA out of fear that the CIA might turn on him, as it had on John Kennedy.

I’m pretty convinced the President of the United States is afraid of the CIA. That’s why he got John Brennan in place. He thinks John Brennan owes more personal loyalty to him than all those other thugs out there who did the torture and so forth. That’s a questionable thing. But Obama thinks that. And that’s why he fought so hard so that Brennan would be in place.

During his CIA career, Ray McGovern prepared daily briefings for the president and chaired the National Intelligence Estimates. He is now a leading antiwar activist.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    HYUFD said:

Obama has abandoned progressive principles, such as stopping drone attacks and shutting down Guantanamo, because he is afraid of being assassinated, telling friends, "Don’t you remember what happened to Martin Luther King Jr.?" retired CIA analyst Ray McGovern said today.

He’s afraid of what happened to Martin Luther King Jr. And I know from a good friend who was there when it happened, that at a small dinner with progressive supporters – after these progressive supporters were banging on Obama before the election, Why don’t you do the things we thought you stood for? Obama turned sharply and said, "Don’t you remember what happened to Martin Luther King Jr.?" That’s a quote, and that’s a very revealing quote.

McGovern spoke on WBAI's show Law and Disorder this morning. He was talking about his recent article calling Obama "a wuss" and speculated that Obama had also placed John Brennan as head of the CIA out of fear that the CIA might turn on him, as it had on John Kennedy.

I’m pretty convinced the President of the United States is afraid of the CIA. That’s why he got John Brennan in place. He thinks John Brennan owes more personal loyalty to him than all those other thugs out there who did the torture and so forth. That’s a questionable thing. But Obama thinks that. And that’s why he fought so hard so that Brennan would be in place.

During his CIA career, Ray McGovern prepared daily briefings for the president and chaired the National Intelligence Estimates. He is now a leading antiwar activist.

Good report here ofthe declining Obama presence:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324412604578519482313147400.html
  • Options
    Thanks MikeK, interesting article
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Some advice for @Ed_Miliband from @DPJHodges: Tell the country the truth http://soa.li/af5AxAa
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Latest UKPollingReport polling average:

Lab 37%
    Con 28%
    LD 10%

Changes since 2010 GE:

Lab +7.3%
    Con -9.0%
    LD -13.6%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Interesting that only a third of the combined Con/LD decline has gone to to Labour.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.

Even if about half distrust Labour on the economy, they've still got every chance, being the sole nationwide opposition, of getting enough seats to form a majority government. It's undoubtedly an issue for them, though.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'I've told you that for years, the VAT policy will be dropped and focus shifted to housebuilding, growth and benefit reduction in comparison to Osbornes addiction to taxpayer subsidised housing and rent inflation/housing benefit increases'

Osborne's taxpayer funded housing to be replaced by....Balls taxpayer funded housing..
    Pure comedy.

Ball's now holds the record for the number of u-turns performed in a day.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Some advice for @Ed_Miliband from @DPJHodges: Tell the country the truth http://soa.li/af5AxAa

Some advice to DPJHodges: Shut up !
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    FPTP and a above 10% UKIP score means Labour can probably nab a majority on 32%.
  • Options
  • Options
    "DEAR readers, I am moving to London in July. I'm quite excited about this. Last week I traveled to London with my wife to search for a place to live. We were successful; there is now a lovely little house awaiting us at a rent that is within our budget. But the experience reinforced the absurdity of Britain's ongoing economic doldrums.

London is extraordinarily expensive. It's the kind of expensive where even when you are accustomed to relatively expensive real estate (Washington is not the cheapest place to live) and know that London is far worse you are floored by how expensive it is. To rent a property roughly the same size, quality, and commute distance to work as the one we now occupy in Washington would have meant paying between two and three times as much in rent.

That London is expensive is the sort of thing people tend to take for granted. London property costs a lot, that's how it is, deal with it. But its high cost is actually a direct result of the interplay of supply and demand. Demand to live in London is sky high, for good reason. Weather aside, the consumption amenities in the city are very nearly unrivalled. And the city is also extremely productive, in financial services of course but in other businesses as well. London's cost is down in part to what people are willing to pay to live there. More accurately, the price of living in London rises as high as it must to clear the property market: to make sure that there are only roughly as many people obtaining London property as there is property for them to obtain.

Which brings us to supply. Construction costs in London are higher than in some places but not remarkably so. The marginal unit in London will be in a building that is shorter than the marginal unit in New York, for instance, and taller buildings are more expensive to build. Topographically speaking, London is far, far less constrained than New York or San Francisco. London's big supply problem is almost entirely due to extremely tight land-use restrictions. It's quite simply very difficult to get permission to build."
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/06/london-house-prices
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Lib Dems not impressed with Ball's.

'The Lib Dems have now responded to the Ed Balls speech. This is from Susan Kramer, a Lib Dem Treasury spokesperson.

Three years into this parliament and Labour still has no credible economic policies. Ed Balls’ proposed savings are a drop in the ocean. And he still refuses to acknowledge it was his party’s chronic mismanagement that got us into this mess.

The idea Labour can demonstrate ‘iron discipline’ on spending is laughable. They oppose every cut but refuse to admit what their alternative would amount to – more spending, more borrowing and more debt.'
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SeanT was telling us the other day how a provincial city like Birmingham could do better but would obviously never be able to rival London.

Amazingly, it turns out Birmingham did rival London in the 1950s:
    ""Birmingham itself was second only to London for the creation of new jobs between 1951 and 1961. Unemployment in Birmingham between 1948 and 1966 rarely exceeded 1%, and only exceeded 2% in one year. By 1961 household incomes in the West Midlands were 13% above the national average, exceeding even than those of London and the South East."
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2013/05/birmingham
  • Options
    tim said:

SeanT said:

If Balls didn't have the backstory he does, he would make an excellent Labour leader: much more ruthless and persuasive than the Milibands (D or E). Also more pubbable.

But he is what he is, Gordon Brown's bag carrier. I doubt he will ever get over this.

Thought you'd be in favor, after all he was opposed to the ERM when Cameron was locked in a cubicle at the treasury working for Lamont and kept Britain out of the Euro.

Anyhow we've seen the divide opening today.

The Tories are going to fight on a low wage-high housing costs-high benefit spend economy.
    Labour are going to propose the opposite
    Balls also created the 5 tests precisely because all of them could not be passed and UK would stay out of the Euro.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2013
    Key excerpts from Ed Balls's speech on the UK economy

So today I am going to have to disappoint my opponents and my colleagues.

I am going to disappoint the Tories – we will not set out our plans for 2015-16 this year, however much you want us to, in order to divert political attention from your own abject economic failure.

And you can see the new political game – to set out deep cuts to policing, defence, local government, social care or early years funding or in support for children and the disabled – all for after the General Election – and challenge Labour to make a decision now to reject his plans two years ahead.

We will not play that game – when we do not know the economic circumstances two months ahead, let alone two years.

But that also means I am going to disappoint my Labour colleagues too.

A disappointment all round, by his own admission.

Ed Balls has been totally outmanoeuvred and destroyed by George Osborne.

Time for Ed Miliband to get Darling back in the Shadow Chancellor's seat.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    If voters still distrust Labour over the economy, it is because Balls and Ed M were both part of Brown's Treasury team which screwed things up so badly from 2002.

Trying to find evidence of Balls and Ed M defending Prudence is about as rare as finding rocking horseshonet.
  • Options
    A MagLev line between London and Birmingham would cut the journey time to about 20 minutes, which would effectively make the place a suburb of the capital. I don't know why the idea doesn't have more support.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If voters still distrust Labour over the economy, it is because Balls and Ed M were both part of Brown's Treasury team which screwed things up so badly from 2002.

Trying to find evidence of Balls and Ed M defending Prudence is about as rare as finding rocking horseshonet.

Which party was leading on "trust over the economy" on the eve of the 1997 election ?

Which party won ?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Just wanted to say what a sterling fort-holding job that TSE has been doing. Are you waiting for the reinforcements to come in?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The only reliable promise made in Ed Balls's speech

So we support the IMF’s call**, consistent with medium-term fiscal consolidation, for the Government to act to boost capital spending over the next two years – financed by a temporary rise in borrowing as Labour has also urged – to build our way to a stronger recovery.

Ed Balls criticises Osborne for not reducing the deficit fast enough.

His remedy.

Borrow more.

His lie: such borrowing will be "temporary".

There has been no change in Labour's position on the economy since Brown splurged "investment" money like there was no tomorrow.

And there nearly was "no tomorrow". National Debt rose by over 500% between 2002 and 2010.

And now Balls is arguing for the same Brownian solutions.

Balls, like his mentor Brown, is yesterday's man.

** Note the IMF called for extra capital spending but not additional government borrowing.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    @Surbiton

Labour still trying to pretend that their mistakes from 2002 don't matter today. Still trying to run away from their fiscal incontinence, and still attempting to forget that Balls and Miliband did little to restrain Brown's economic meltdown.

Look at cutting winter fuel payments, a fraction of 1% just to gain a headline.
  • Options
    Mr. Ears, I agree. Apart from Mr. Eagles' signal failure to appreciate the genius of Hannibal his stewardship has again been quite splendid.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

So we support the IMF’s call**, consistent with medium-term fiscal consolidation, for the Government to act to boost capital spending over the next two years – financed by a temporary rise in borrowing as Labour has also urged – to build our way to a stronger recovery.

His remedy.

Borrow more.

There has been no change in Labour's position on the economy since Brown splurged "investment" money like there was no tomorrow.

And there nearly was "no tomorrow". National Debt rose by over 500% between 2002 and 2010.

** Note the IMF called for extra capital spending but not additional government borrowing.

"And there nearly was "no tomorrow". National Debt rose by over 500% between 2002 and 2010".

What was the Debt / GDP ratio in March 2008 ? Was it higher or lower than what the Tories left behind in 1997 ?

• Options
    WilliamOWilliamO Posts: 16
    Most of what Labour have to say on the economy is "A load of Balls!"
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited June 2013
    AveryLP said:

His remedy.

Borrow more.

One for you Avery (and Whovians perhaps...):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/cartoon/

And Matt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    AndyJS said:

A MagLev line between London and Birmingham would cut the journey time to about 20 minutes, which would effectively make the place a suburb of the capital. I don't know why the idea doesn't have more support.

The idea does not have support because the technology is not there for largescale deployment, and will not be in the immediate future. The German test Maglev has shut down and is being demolished several years after causing 23 deaths in an 'impossible' crash. (1)

The longest Maglev currently in use is just 19 miles, in Shanghai. Japan has plans for a long line, but they are going a (very) iterative approach and it is many years before a useful line evolves. Indeed, some planned Maglev lines in China are being re-planned as conventional high-speed rail.

Proponents of the system should ask themselves why, over sixty years after Prof. Laithwaite invented the linear induction motor, Maglevs have not replaced 'ordinary' trains.

(1): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lathen_maglev_train_accident
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

His remedy.

Borrow more.

"And there nearly was "no tomorrow". National Debt rose by over 500% between 2002 and 2010".

What was the Debt / GDP ratio in March 2008 ? Was it higher or lower than what the Tories left behind in 1997 ?

There you go, Surby.

The Public Sector Net Debt to GDP ratio for the years 2002-2012.
           PSND
    %GDP
    -----------
    2002 29.8
    2003 30.9
    2004 32.2
    2005 33.9
    2006 35.1
    2007 35.8
    2008 43.0
    2009 150.4
    2010 153.5
    2011 149.3
    2012 141.2
    Gordon Brown managed a 515% increase between 2002 and 2010.
    George Osborne managed an 8% decrease in the following two years.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    Lib Dem MP Mike Hancock has resigned from the Parliamentary Party, rather than have the whip withdrawn after a disciplinary meeting
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 28s

Lib Dem statement: "Mike Hancock has chosen to resign the party whip while he defends himself against v serious allegations."
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, is the consensus that a by-election in Hancock's constituency (Plymouth?) is unlikely?
  • Options

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 28s

Lib Dem statement: "Mike Hancock has chosen to resign the party whip while he defends himself against v serious allegations."

Making a statement soon apparently.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, is the consensus that a by-election in Hancock's constituency (Plymouth?) is unlikely?

Portsmouth, yes, he seems unlikely to resign it.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    AveryLP said:

surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

His remedy.

Borrow more.

There you go, Surby.

The Public Sector Net Debt to GDP ratio for the years 1997-2012.
           PSND
    %GDP
    -----------
    1997 42.1
    1998 40.4
    1999 38.2
    2000 35.7
    2001 30.8
    2002 29.8
    2003 30.9
    2004 32.2
    2005 33.9
    2006 35.1
    2007 35.8
    2008 43.0
    2009 150.4
    2010 153.5
    2011 149.3
    2012 141.2
    Gordon Brown managed a 515% increase between 2002 and 2010.
    George Osborne managed an 8% decrease in the following two years.
    Surby

My apologies.

The answer to your specific question about PSND:GDP % in 1997 is that it was 42.1%, 27.4% of Gordon's masterful achievement at the end of his term in office.

Edit: Updated the table for you.

• Options
    Cheers. Is it me, or have we had tons of by-elections this Parliament?
  • Options

Cheers. Is it me, or have we had tons of by-elections this Parliament?

I think we've had several interesting by-elections this parliament.
  • Options
    Carola said:

AveryLP said:

His remedy.

Borrow more.

One for you Avery (and Whovians perhaps...):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/cartoon/

And Matt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
    Well that first cartoon is silly, Ed Balls as popular as the Fourth Doctor?

Unlikely.
  • Options
    Bloody Southerners, ruining the North, I've spent far too much time at the science musuem

Manchester’s most popular visitor attraction could close in order to keep the London Science Museum open.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Mosi) – which welcomes thousands of families each year – could be shut down under plans being considered by the national Science Museum Group.

The shocking announcement also puts in jeopardy the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Rail Museum in York.

The three northern visitor attractions, which are all part of the London-based museum group, have been put on the chopping block because of funding cuts.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchesters-museum-science-industry-faces-4044896
  • Options
    'Mike Hancock 'has chosen to resign from the party'. Right. And my name is Olaf von Cobblers' shippers
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

The idea does not have support because the technology is not there for largescale deployment, and will not be in the immediate future. The German test Maglev has shut down and is being demolished several years after causing 23 deaths in an 'impossible' crash. (1)

The longest Maglev currently in use is just 19 miles, in Shanghai. Japan has plans for a long line, but they are going a (very) iterative approach and it is many years before a useful line evolves. Indeed, some planned Maglev lines in China are being re-planned as conventional high-speed rail.

Proponents of the system should ask themselves why, over sixty years after Prof. Laithwaite invented the linear induction motor, Maglevs have not replaced 'ordinary' trains.

Yet there is something to be said for it.

The more I travel, the more I realise that Britain's comparative smallness is actually a significant advantage. This relatively tiny island, off the northwest coast of Europe, has everything you want within a day's drive of everywhere else, MAXIMUM, and much of it is way way closer together than that.

e.g. our greatest universities, London, Oxford, and Cambridge, are all within less than 100 miles of each other. Contrast Harvard, UCLA, Yale, UT.

Our capital city is the diplomatic, political, financial, cultural, religious, retail, media, artistic metropolis for the whole nation. Contrast with Germany, where everything is scattered - Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Munich.

And so on and so forth. Britain is exquisitely easy to get around BECAUSE IT IS SO SMALL. Even Japan seems tediously big, in comparison.

Now factor in Maglev trains or something similar. The entire country could become one big prosperous Surrey to the mighty engine of wealth that is London, as people are able to commute from Brum in 20 minutes and Glasgow in 90. Result!

I guess the worry is that people will then be able to commute from Nice in 100 minutes, but hey.
    Maglev? No thanks.

All those Northern burglars heading south for the richer pickings of the Home Counties.

• Options
    Carola said:

'Mike Hancock 'has chosen to resign from the party'. Right. And my name is Olaf von Cobblers' shippers

Isn't it one of those irregular verbs.

I have chosen to resign

He was sacked.

They were fired.
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    UKIP are the last party to talk about cleaning up politics.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    tim said:

I wonder why Cameron is so desperate to avoid a recall bill

And if he'd announced one, you'd be posting non-stop variations of 'panicked responses', 'redfaces' and 'ill thought out legislation from the clueless posh boys'.

'Dr' Clarke's lost your Mojo since his series of unfortunate apologies.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Yet there is something to be said for it.

The more I travel, the more I realise that Britain's comparative smallness is actually a significant advantage. This relatively tiny island, off the northwest coast of Europe, has everything you want within a day's drive of everywhere else, MAXIMUM, and much of it is way way closer together than that.

e.g. our greatest universities, London, Oxford, and Cambridge, are all within less than 100 miles of each other. Contrast Harvard, UCLA, Yale, UT.

Our capital city is the diplomatic, political, financial, cultural, religious, retail, media, artistic metropolis for the whole nation. Contrast with Germany, where everything is scattered - Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Munich.

And so on and so forth. Britain is exquisitely easy to get around BECAUSE IT IS SO SMALL. Even Japan seems tediously big, in comparison.

Now factor in Maglev trains or something similar. The entire country could become one big prosperous Surrey to the mighty engine of wealth that is London, as people are able to commute from Brum in 20 minutes and Glasgow in 90. Result!

I guess the worry is that people will then be able to commute from Nice in 100 minutes, but hey.
    Oh, I'd love them to be practical, in the same way I'd love production fusion reactors to be available in the next five years, or spaceplanes to allow London->Sydney in a couple of hours. All of these are theoretically possible; but the theory is simple compared to the engineering to do them.

Sadly, the above are waiting for new advances in engineering, particularly materials engineering (which is a little-acknowledged area of science that is of massive importance to society).

Perversely, Britain's smallness acts against high-speed transport projects. On a 1,000 km line, doubling maximum speed from 100 km/h to 200 km/h saves about five hours. On a 200km line it saves just one hour. Cost/benefit ratios and the like count against shorter lines.

We also have massive problems starting even absolute no-brainer projects, like reinstating the Oxford to Cambridge railway line to connect the two university cities. Everyone wants it, but progress is glacially slow.

I have yet to discover the reason why Maglev construction is not going ahead. It must be down to cost; the tracks are far more expensive than conventional high-speed rail, but running costs are alleged to be cheaper. So why are they not being built?

(As I've mentioned on here before, my dad's company built parts of the civ eng of the first ever Maglev track at British Rail Engineering in Derby).
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Never mind EU referendums, Avery's inane numerical soup and TSE's Doctor Who fetish. WHY DOES THIS SITE STILL NOT WORK? I have to reset my password every day and I can't even read part of Sean's post below because it is blocked by an ad, floating in the middle of nowhere, seemingly permanently affixed to the word 'commute'.

This is the new normal on here.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    MikeK said:
    Didn't the Cameroons mention a recall law once upon a time? If they'd actually done it and it was used to get rid of Mercer, Handycock etc Cameron would have got some brownie points.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Never mind EU referendums, Avery's inane numerical soup and TSE's Doctor Who fetish. WHY DOES THIS SITE STILL NOT WORK? I have to reset my password every day and I can't even read part of Sean's post below because it is blocked by an ad, floating in the middle of nowhere, seemingly permanently affixed to the word 'commute'.

Are you viewing the site on an iPhone or iPad?
  • Options

I have chosen to resign

He was sacked.

They were fired.

Isn't it:

"I have chosen to resign.

You jumped before you were pushed.

He was fired."

Craig Brown is a master of the irregular verb, he definitely uses 1st, 2nd and 3rd person singular, and tries to keep a significant shade-of-meaning's difference between the 2nd and 3rd person forms.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    No answer yet from tim, I see.

tim: why is it right that the the "soft money" support that the unions give to Labour not be counted towards the overall cap on election spending?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    MrJones said:

Didn't the Cameroons mention a recall law once upon a time?

Indeed. Not only was it specifically included in the coalition agreement, but a draft bill was put forward on 13 December 2011. It was abandoned in committee June 2012.

parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05089

• Options
    Bless Peter Hain - an mp for all of New Labour's term and he still thinks Labour was a party of universal benefits. Wasnt he even Pensions Secretary for a time?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

MrJones said:

Didn't the Cameroons mention a recall law once upon a time?

Indeed. Not only was it specifically included in the coalition agreement, but a draft bill was put forward on 13 December 2011. It was abandoned in committee June 2012.

parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05089

They're so rotten it's a wonder they don't collapse in a high wind.
  • Options

I have chosen to resign

He was sacked.

They were fired.

Isn't it:

"I have chosen to resign.

You jumped before you were pushed.

He was fired."

Craig Brown is a master of the irregular verb, he definitely uses 1st, 2nd and 3rd person singular, and tries to keep a significant shade-of-meaning's difference between the 2nd and 3rd person forms.
    Yes Minister did it best

It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it: I have an independent mind; you are an eccentric; he is round the twist.

and

I give confidential press briefings; you leak; he's being charged under section 2A of the Official Secrets Act.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Bless Peter Hain - an mp for all of New Labour's term and he still thinks Labour was a party of universal benefits. Wasnt he even Pensions Secretary for a time?

I thought he was Secretary of State for looking liked a newly creosoted fence?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Hunchman has been in deep hibernation recently.

As for Mr Balls - £100 million of so called cuts, well with the government borrowing £330 million everyday, that's enough to sort out a wonderful 7 hours of borroing! Go back to the drawing board sir! Newsnight now LOL!!!!

The Turkey riots are fascinating - it seems to be mainly liberal, mainly secular and mainly middle class. All the libertarians of the world unite! Much less reported were the riots in Stockholm last week and riots in Switzerland of all places - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHRzayNdw4 If we're getting riots in Switzerland, that shows what a bind the whole of Europe is in. Makes our riots in 2011 look pretty feeble by comparison. Note how the Beeb, Sky and all the mass media were wholly absent in reporting all of this - its an absolute scandal if you ask me.

As for the financial markets, things are getting decidedly interesting. I'm on board with these comments: http://www.pretzelcharts.com/2013/06/spx-update-theres-breakdown-what-next.html I think its a nasty shakeout on US markets before one final move higher now into late July. Japan and the Nikkei are not so far off being officially in a bear market - already down around 18% from the 16,000 high. As the old saying goes, bull markets take the steps up, bear markets take the escalator down. We're finally seeing much increased volatility in the government bond market - 5 year yields have alread gone from around 0.13% to nearly 0.5% and 10 year yields have risen from a low of 0.43% up to around 0.9% - it doesn't sound much at all, but these are massive movements in such a short time. I still think Japan will be alright for a short time yet, USDJPY seems to have confirmed a top in the 103 area which was higher than I was looking for around the 101 area, and now we should finally get a decent retracement. Howver, when the next leg starts up, everyone should watch out because it should be much stronger than the first leg up from the 77 area up to 103, and it should be one of the opportunities of a lifetime to hitch a ride aboard. On the US markets, I expected the 1597 area on the S&P to hold, but once that went, it was signalling a move into the high 1600's (indeed 1687 happened), and I still think we may have a trip into the low 1720's eventually for the final top.

Everything continues to build for the greatest ever financial crisis: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-03/18-signs-massive-economic-problems-are-erupting-everywhere ... but I still think we've got to wait until late July / early August before the greatest implosion of them all can finally occur. Funnily enough I was talking to some friends over the past week and told them that the Cypriot stockmarket topped out at 5,500 in late 2007, and asked them how low it had sunk recently. 1,000 they typically said first......lower......500? ...... lower..........200?.......lower.....100....no, it put in a bottom at 83...and that might not be the last. That would be the equivalent of the FTSE trading around 110, or the Dow trading around 250. That would be a rather different world wouldn't it?!
  • Options

Bobajob said:

iPhone. I still have the reset problem on the desktop though, just not the visual soup.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

iPhone. I still have the reset problem on the desktop though, just not the visual soup.
    There's a definite occasional issue for those of using apple devices.

I've flagged an issue with vanilla, I'm hoping for a reply soon
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    UKIP MEP Derek Clark (East Midlands) to stand down next year. Not particularly surprising given he was born in 1933.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have to hand the excellent compendium This Is Craig Brown, there are a couple of gems in the chapter "Political Conjugations". Better than my previous effort anyhow; I think TSE's "Yes Minister" ones may trump them.

Mine was an error of judgement.
    Yours was a Greek tragedy.
    His was a disgraceful episode.

I am much loved.
    You are part of the furniture.
    Isn't he dead?

I am helpful.
    You are available.
    He is rent-a-quote.

I have a colourful home life.
    You have a complicated home life.
    He forgot to use a condom.

I say what I mean.
    You are outspoken.
    He is a loose cannon.

I speak up for the silent majority.
    You play to the gallery.
    He descends to the gutter.

I continue to support the Government from the backbenches.
    You look after your constituents' interests.
    He is still very bitter.

The book is still great fun, although a lot of the material feels very 90s, Wallace Arnold is either extinct or in terminal decline, and I suspect if Bel Littlejohn were still alive (The Guardian published her obituary back in 2001) she'd be found writing for the Huff Post rather than at Kings Cross.
  • Options
    Robert_EveRobert_Eve Posts: 31
    Labour can be trusted on nothing at all.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

As for Mr Balls - £100 million of so called cuts, well with the government borrowing £330 million everyday, that's enough to sort out a wonderful 7 hours of borroing! Go back to the drawing board sir! Newsnight now LOL!!!!

The Turkey riots are fascinating - it seems to be mainly liberal, mainly secular and mainly middle class. All the libertarians of the world unite! Much less reported were the riots in Stockholm last week and riots in Switzerland of all places - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHRzayNdw4 If we're getting riots in Switzerland, that shows what a bind the whole of Europe is in. Makes our riots in 2011 look pretty feeble by comparison. Note how the Beeb, Sky and all the mass media were wholly absent in reporting all of this - its an absolute scandal if you ask me.

As for the financial markets, things are getting decidedly interesting. I'm on board with these comments: http://www.pretzelcharts.com/2013/06/spx-update-theres-breakdown-what-next.html I think its a nasty shakeout on US markets before one final move higher now into late July. Japan and the Nikkei are not so far off being officially in a bear market - already down around 18% from the 16,000 high. As the old saying goes, bull markets take the steps up, bear markets take the escalator down. We're finally seeing much increased volatility in the government bond market - 5 year yields have alread gone from around 0.13% to nearly 0.5% and 10 year yields have risen from a low of 0.43% up to around 0.9% - it doesn't sound much at all, but these are massive movements in such a short time. I still think Japan will be alright for a short time yet, USDJPY seems to have confirmed a top in the 103 area which was higher than I was looking for around the 101 area, and now we should finally get a decent retracement. Howver, when the next leg starts up, everyone should watch out because it should be much stronger than the first leg up from the 77 area up to 103, and it should be one of the opportunities of a lifetime to hitch a ride aboard. On the US markets, I expected the 1597 area on the S&P to hold, but once that went, it was signalling a move into the high 1600's (indeed 1687 happened), and I still think we may have a trip into the low 1720's eventually for the final top.

Everything continues to build for the greatest ever financial crisis: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-03/18-signs-massive-economic-problems-are-erupting-everywhere ... but I still think we've got to wait until late July / early August before the greatest implosion of them all can finally occur. Funnily enough I was talking to some friends over the past week and told them that the Cypriot stockmarket topped out at 5,500 in late 2007, and asked them how low it had sunk recently. 1,000 they typically said first......lower......500? ...... lower..........200?.......lower.....100....no, it put in a bottom at 83...and that might not be the last. That would be the equivalent of the FTSE trading around 110, or the Dow trading around 250. That would be a rather different world wouldn't it?!

Blimey. Read about the Swedish riots online but not a peep about the Swiss ones.
  • Options
    3 great articles currently on Mish's website:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/

The best one in my opinion is: "The International Monetary Fund lamented Friday that Swedish households pay their mortgages so slowly that they are planning to do an average of 140 years."

Scandinavian banks have the highest loan to deposit ratios in the world - some are pushing on towards 200%. These are just simply staggering numbers - if anyone still believes that all that mortgage debt is ever going to be paid off, then they're as likely to believe that my beloved Crewe Alexandra will win the premiership in the next 5 years. Pigs do indeed fly it seems!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Having just watch Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares USA I turned over and saw a few minutes of Paxman v Balls.

I don't know which was the more pitiful display.

Is Ed Balls really the best Labour can find ?

He makes Osborne look likeable and competant.
  • Options
    "Blimey. Read about the Swedish riots online but not a peep about the Swiss ones. "

It just goes to show in my opinion how good Russia Today are. And they gave Sunil and me another great gift - Max Keiser and On the Edge.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2013
    @tim

How much of what was in Labour Manifesto's 1997-2010 was not implemented or if implemented failed to work? How much was not in the manifestos that was implemented and failed to work?.

You have a fixation about Manifesto's, if you held your own party to account to the same degree... one might have some sympathy.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    tim said:

The Funding for Lending Scheme and Help to Buy scheme are among the stupidest policies ever devised in Whitehall

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/amol-rajan-george-osborne-is-playing-a-low-political-trick-with-housing-8642043.html

Ah yes, I saw that article in the printed edition.

I rather lost interest at the author's policy suggestion, worthy of a demented four-year old: "Forcibly deport all nimbys".
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

There's a definite occasional issue for those of using apple devices.

I've flagged an issue with vanilla, I'm hoping for a reply soon
    Thanks TSE - your reply very much appreciated.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    hunchman said:

And they gave Sunil and me another great gift - Max Keiser and On the Edge.

Sometimes I worry that you dont always watch him for the comedy value though ;)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @Another Richard

If you are predisposed to watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA, I suggest you seek help at the earliest possible opportunity ;)
  • Options
    From making quite a lot of visits to friends of all ages around different parts of the country over the past month, I've found it fascinating to hear other people's take on our current predicament. One strong impression I come away with is how the older generation (55+) still rely on the mainstream print media - none of the friends of my age (late 30's) or lower would dream of going out any buying a paper! Cue a wonderfully bright future for the print media! Talking to people of my own age, I've found far more disparate opinions - I guess its mainly a function of the online media sites that you tend to read and then they reinforce your opinion. Its still good to read online websites with a completely different polemic from your own - Krugman is a good one for me, and some of the hyperinflationists out there.
  • Options
    Neil said:

hunchman said:

That's the great thing about Keiser and his sidekick Ms Herbert - they combine hilarious comedy moments, with a deadly underlying serious message - it takes a special talent to be able to do both those things simultaneously!
  • Options
    isam said:
    I had a text message from a payday loan company encouraging me to consolidate all my loans into 1 repayment - needless to say I've never been remotely near any of them! This whole scatter gun texting approach should be banned, and companies banged to rights if found adopting such an approach. The PPI industry has been a terrible offender in that regard. Is there the equivalent of a TPS service for unwanted mobile phone calls?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076

@Another Richard

If you are predisposed to watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA, I suggest you seek help at the earliest possible opportunity ;)

I only watch it because its so dredfully fake.

I guess I'm displaying postmodern irony in watching it, or something equally pretentious.

• Options
    @hunchman

Whenever I tune into RT it always makes me think about whether the UK has minimum standards for "news" output and how on earth RT can be meeting them.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Neil said:

hunchman said:

That's the great thing about Keiser and his sidekick Ms Herbert - they combine hilarious comedy moments, with a deadly underlying serious message - it takes a special talent to be able to do both those things simultaneously!
    Hello hunchman - always entertaining, but Stacey is more than just a side-kick, they were married late last year!
  • Options
    Neil said:

@hunchman

Whenever I tune into RT it always makes me think about whether the UK has minimum standards for "news" output and how on earth RT can be meeting them.

RT is unconventional, and not afraid to broach controversy, in a way that the Beeb, Sky, CNN etc could never do. Lauren Lyster with Capital Account was also great on there, until she got poached by Yahoo finance.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Neil said:

hunchman said:

Hello hunchman - always entertaining, but Stacey is more than just a side-kick, they were married late last year!
    You're quite right Sunil - I doff my cap to Mrs Stacey Keiser! Freudian slip me calling her Ms Herbert still!!!!
  • Options
    Neil said:

@hunchman

RT or RTE?

:)
  • Options
    This is a fantastic YouTube channel which I strongly recommend to all PBers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SunilP2?feature=watch
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Neil said:

hunchman said:

You're quite right Sunil - I doff my cap to Mrs Stacey Keiser! Freudian slip me calling her Ms Herbert still!!!!
    Well Max still calls her Stacey Herbert, so you're not alone!!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This is a fantastic YouTube channel which I strongly recommend to all PBers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SunilP2?feature=watch

Glad you liked it!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2013
    Obtaining some interesting results with (10,000) Monte Carlo simulations from the PM approval model...

Taking the median three-month PM adjusted approval (47.8%) we have:-

Central forecast
    Tory Popular Vote lead 2.3% (implied swing 2.5% to Labour)
    Labour seat lead 22 seats

Chance Tories will lead in votes 99.1%
    Chance Tories will lead in seats 12.4%

Chance of Labour majority (LDs 40 seats) 0.5%
    Chance of Labour majority (LDs 30 seats) 2.1%
    Chance of Tory majority (LDs 40 seats) 0.0%
    Chance of Tory majority (LDs 30 seats) 0.03%

Chance of a Hung Parliament >97%
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2013
    I'd say two years from an election that is not a bad place for the Tories to be?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Some interesting links there...

So major disruption due to the US economy in the next 40 days? How do you see this affecting the forex markets?
This discussion has been closed.