Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do the size of ministers’ majorities matter?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do the size of ministers’ majorities matter?

One of the charms of the Westminster system is that Cabinet ministers still have contact with the electorate through their surgeries and case work. It’s a reality check. In other electoral systems Ministers are not constituency MPs. However the make-up the voters that have the ear of Cabinet and Shadow ministers matters and they’re not always representative.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    It would be funny beyond belief if Ed Balls fell in 2015.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Patrick said:

His constituency is ripe for UKIP IMO
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Patrick said:

Unlikely .. werent the local Tories finding it difficult to even select a candidate recently? And the timing of that selection gave away how few members they have locally. And Ed has a large, soft Lib Dem vote to squeeze now.

It's Lib Dem Ministers who are most likely to lose their seats. I dont think they're performing any the better for it.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    "In other electoral systems Ministers are not constituency MPs."

Not many places do national lists without constituencies, do they? I guess there's the US model where the executive isn't made up of MPs at all.

The government front-bench will tend to have bigger majorities than the opposition front-bench, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

According to the local paper this week, the big news is that there's oodles more shale gas under Lancashire/Cheshire/Merseyside and North Wales than expected. It's a bonanza.

The coal mines may have gone. but this new resource is waiting to be exploited.

They did have a quote from Natalie Bennett along the lines of "we'll all die" but she would say that, wouldn't she?

Scotland can only look on in envy.
  • Options
    isam said:

Nothing would secure his position more than UKIP splitting the opposition.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    the
    isam said:

Patrick said:

The Tories should screw up getting their electoral papers in on time ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    UKIP should mount a big campaign against Ed Balls, might have a sniff - 20-1 against or thereabouts. If they could get BNP and CON voters behind it..

Also Lib Dems in the seat, would they vote tactically - if a Lib-Lab coalition comes up better to have Balls out, after all he was one of the chief wreckers of the 2010 votes, plus more leverage for Cable.
  • Options
    What'll keep Ed Balls in place are two things though. CON won't soft-pedal the seat enough, the line will be 'only a thousand behind' so on the target list.

Lib Dems love to vote Labour if theres a danger from the 'Tories'.

CON voters will still vote CON.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,371
    In Morely and Outwood in 2010 UKIP polled 3.1% which is what they polled nationwide.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Agreed. How about a UKIP endorsed tory sceptic and no UKIP candidate?

Nah I reckon ballsie would still scrape home...
  • Options

In Morely and Outwood in 2010 UKIP polled 3.1% which is what they polled nationwide.

and Balls scraped home with about 1.5% - go figure
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I'd stick the house on them beating that this time ;)

In 2010 UKIP was a tactically awful vote for an Anti-Balls vote. In 2015 it is the best option.
  • Options

Well done UKIP, I mean that.

I mean, we all know how crap Dave and in particular George are, but thanks to Ed Balls, they still manage to outpoll the two Eds on the economic front.
  • Options
    UKIP were even outpolled by the BNP in the seat.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    tim said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I see tim is referring to the elderly as "coffin dodgers" now. How pleasant.

I don't get what anyone gains by using terms like that, we all must have elderly friends/relatives

Yes it was a deadly serious post.
    I genuinely think they smell of humbugs and Nigel Farage puts his tongue down their throats.

Is there anything worse than a sensitive Kipper.

Love this. Imagine if someone on here referred to Muslim women as "bin bag wearers" or Sikh men as "towel heads", and then when people objected saying "oh it obviously wasn't serious!", thinking that the comic nature of the insult made it ok. The moderators would, rightly, ban that person instantly and there would be a general outcry. Yet when it is done to the elderly, who are as vulnerable and marginalised as any of the above groups, the moderators do nothing and the left-wing posters stay silent in their hypocrisy.

tim is at the obnoxious heart of New Labour, along with people like Derek Draper and Damian McBride.
  • Options
    So far as my Ed Balls next chancellor bet goes this is way way way way down the list of worries for it coming in

I have
    #1 David Cameron being usurped so of course GO goes with him
    #2 George Osborne getting shuffled (V unlikely if DC is still in charge)
    #3 Labour not getting a majority and LDs insisting VC is chancellor to do a deal
    #4 Balls being reshuffled by Labour.

Balls losing his seat against national swing is a very very distant 5th contingency to my mind anyway.
  • Options

I mean, we all know how crap Dave and in particular George are, but thanks to Ed Balls, they still manage to outpoll the two Eds on the economic front.
    I must admit I'm in 2 minds about this, Short term I'd like nothing better than Balls off the airwaves but Balls is a permanent reminder of just how atrocious Labour's economic management has been.

" we ran a surplus, we ran a surplus, we ran a surplus - ok it was a 5.2% deficit"

You can tell how bad he is by how good he makes Osborne look.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

I answered your question re gay marriage & Inter racial marriage on the last thread, would you like to answer mine on civil partnerships? Are they equal for all people? Are you angry at the lack of equality?

And if you want to bet on this seat make me a price on UKIP winning it in 2015...putting your money where your mouth is always helps to see how confident people are in their opinions
  • Options
    Socrates said:

tim said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

I see tim is referring to the elderly as "coffin dodgers" now. How pleasant.

I don't get what anyone gains by using terms like that, we all must have elderly friends/relatives

Yes it was a deadly serious post.
    I genuinely think they smell of humbugs and Nigel Farage puts his tongue down their throats.

Is there anything worse than a sensitive Kipper.

Love this. Imagine if someone on here referred to Muslim women as "bin bag wearers" or Sikh men as "towel heads", and then when people objected saying "oh it obviously wasn't serious!", thinking that the comic nature of the insult made it ok. The moderators would, rightly, ban that person instantly and there would be a general outcry. Yet when it is done to the elderly, who are as vulnerable and marginalised as any of the above groups, the moderators do nothing and the left-wing posters stay silent in their hypocrisy.

tim is at the obnoxious heart of New Labour, along with people like Derek Draper and Damian McBride.
    Incredible lack of self awareness

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Although the Tories fell short of a majority, they did poll something like 7% of the vote more than Labour, so they're bound to have more MPs with large majorities.

If Labour win the next election then it is very likely that all the MPs you mention will have much larger majorities. All the Labour MPs in marginals will most likely have only just won their seats from Conservative opponents, and aren't likely to go straight into Cabinet.
  • Options
    isam said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I answered your question re gay marriage & Inter racial marriage on the last thread, would you like to answer mine on civil partnerships? Are they equal for all people? Are you angry at the lack of equality?

And if you want to bet on this seat make me a price on UKIP winning it in 2015...putting your money where your mouth is always helps to see how confident people are in their opinions

Re Civil partnerships, no I'm not happy with them at all.

Second point, I've not analysed this seat fully to price it up, yet.

• Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Btw Neil, would like to hear some more from you on your defence of Paul Elliott. He seems a complete hypocrite to me, and if this is true, he is a horrible liar as well

http://oldco.coplandroad.org/444641#!
  • Options

I must admit I'm in 2 minds about this, Short term I'd like nothing better than Balls off the airwaves but Balls is a permanent reminder of just how atrocious Labour's economic management has been.

" we ran a surplus, we ran a surplus, we ran a surplus - ok it was a 5.2% deficit"

You can tell how bad he is by how good he makes Osborne look.
    I suspect the two Eds will be like Varro and Paullus, and thus make Cameron look like Hannibal at the next election.

The irony of it is, Labour tried to spin Black Wednesday as all being Dave's fault when he was Norman Lamont's bag carrier.

But Labour don't like it when you point out Balls was Gordon's Advisor in the treasury for nearly a decade, and Ed Miliband was appointed Chairman of HM Treasury's Council of Economic Advisers as a replacement for Ed Balls, with specific responsibility for directing the UK's long-term economic planning.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes have a great market up

To be spotted at the Grove Hotel, Watford during the Bilderberg conference

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Politics/Bilderberg-Specials-N-1z141lkZ1z0t4iw/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    The reason why most Tory cabinet ministers have large majorities is that the great majority of Conservative MPs with sub-5k majorities were gains in the 2010 election and those MPs haven't had time to be promoted to the cabinet, particularly with the restrictions that the coalition places on the PM's patronage. That's not to say that those marginal-seat MPs can't make their voices heard but they do need to find a willing ear too. There may be a few examples though of longer-serving Tories with non-Labour opposition who didn't gain a goodly sized swing in 2010, and boundary reviews could also leave some with smaller majorities. They'll be the exception though.

The reverse is also true. Few, if any (?), of Labour's 1997 cabinet will have had a small majority as they'd have all received a huge boost from their 1992 scores, however after seeing reverses in 2005 and 2010, it's not surprising that several of the shadow cabinet are now nursing closely-fought seats.

Does it matter? Not of itself, providing that those at the top keep their ear to the ground, one way or another. After all, nearly all PMs will have had safe seats otherwise they'd probably have lost at some time on the way up. If anything, the problem with the gay marriage issue was that it went down badly with core Tory voters rather than centrist swing ones, so those with large numbers of Conservative voters should have been all the more aware of the likely response.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited June 2013
    Tennis: I see Djokovich made the mistake of winning a set. Nadal is now 5-0 up in the 3rd set. Don't make him angry. You wont like him when he's angry.

Inverted Snobbery: Anyone understand the point of this article: An awkward brush with the Dubai expat vodka set. Other than to make the [sneering, twattish] writer feel superior, I mean.
  • Options
    Maybe it's not a great idea to allow people to hide their faces in public:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22811466
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Socrates said:

Is this going to turn into yet another anti-motorcyclist thread?
  • Options
    Anorak, I read that article too. I've been working in Qatar for the last year (looking forward to coming home soon!) and generally found the ex-pats a fairly decent bunch. There is a line in that article about an ex-pat not seeing the poverty that exists in Dubai, I find it hard to believe that line was spoken. Everyone working anywhere in the Middle East is acutely aware of the poverty that exists, it's very, very visible.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22811466

Looks like the only Muslim involved was the bloke who stopped them...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4958872/Armed-robbery-at-Selfridges.html
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Ladbrokes have a great market up

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Politics/Bilderberg-Specials-N-1z141lkZ1z0t4iw/

Who's Wayner Rooney?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Anorak Such journalism is cheap. It's a poor return on generous hospitality, even if the hosts lack the understated refinement that the BBC expects of the wealthy.
  • Options

I wonder if UKIP missed a trick by not targeting/picketing Bilderberg. It storms into their narrative of us being ruled by a remote and self perpetuating elite class who are 'all the same'.

may Nige is hoping for an invite...
  • Options

Socrates said:

Is this going to turn into yet another anti-motorcyclist thread?
    Motorcyclists should remove helmets when entering a public building.

Also I don't plan on dieing any time soon, looks expensive.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4958641/Burial-and-cremation-fees-hit-5000-in-London.html
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Had to smile at a featured article on the Guardian site.

Amidst all the class warriors manning the barricades in support of the workers, we have a winsome piece on 'how to buy your perfect coffee machine'

It really is grim up North London.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Anorak Such journalism is cheap. It's a poor return on generous hospitality, even if the hosts lack the understated refinement that the BBC expects of the wealthy.

He also penned this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21185791
  • Options
    France has ossified. It is intellectually, morally, politically and increasingly actually bankrupt. They rage aginst the globalised world with as much chance of putting it back in its box as I do of being the next Queen of England. A true horror story of lefty statism run riot over a prolonged period. The Germans are starting to give up on them:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/economic-decline-in-france-the-failed-leadership-of-hollande-a-903732.html
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    taffys said:

Had to smile at a featured article on the Guardian site.

Amidst all the class warriors manning the barricades in support of the workers, we have a winsome piece on 'how to buy your perfect coffee machine'

It really is grim up North London.

Tbf, it's probably about as compatible with the views of the comrades as the endless hagiographies of Clegg. The Graun's only a left wing paper below the line these days.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    taffys said:

I wonder if UKIP missed a trick by not targeting/picketing Bilderberg. It storms into their narrative of us being ruled by a remote and self perpetuating elite class who are 'all the same'.

It also plays into the narrative of them being tin-foil-hat wearing loonies so probably not a good tactic.
  • Options
    Nespresso machines are the "quiet life" option. They're dead easy but you're limited in the coffees you can get by the range of pods put on by Nespresso. I would not recommend any of the pods from other manufacturers that are currently on the market. The milk frother that goes with Nespresso machines is the easiest to use and best milk frother I have ever had.

Siemens machines have always been temperamental for me. Given their price, I don't think they're worth the money.

Gaggia are the option if money is no object. Their bean-to-cup machines are second-to-none.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

France has ossified. It is intellectually, morally, politically and increasingly actually bankrupt. They rage aginst the globalised world with as much chance of putting it back in its box as I do of being the next Queen of England. A true horror story of lefty statism run riot over a prolonged period. The Germans are starting to give up on them:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/economic-decline-in-france-the-failed-leadership-of-hollande-a-903732.html

Their struggles over gay marriage really still shock me. I've seen people pepper sprayed in the street. Far more open antagonism of police and passers by and the other night, a mate of a mate got killed 2 nights ago, presumably because he said the wrong thing to the wrong people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22798876
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327
    Cabinet Ministers tend to get there rung by rung, so if MPs have a seat marginal enough to fall off in bad years, they generally don't make it. But it's an interesting article - one reason John Denham's advice is worth hearing is that his seat is more typical of marginals than most.

Broxtowe selection now open - it'll be on August 3, probably one of the last before the holiday. We should have all the marginals wrapped up by the end of September.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    2 sets all in the Final in all but name at Roland Garros
    And Djoko has broken !

Edit: How did these two end up in the same side of the draw btw ? Surely they are the two big pre tourney favourites - Some voodoo with the rankings due to Nadal's lack of play ?
  • Options
    One for tim - Germany throws open its doors to Romanians and Bulgarians......oh wait

"If you are working here illegally -- no matter how -- then please go back to where you came from!"

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-interior-minister-expell-eastern-european-poverty-immigrants-a-904415.html
  • Options
    @BoredInParis

You wait until the deficit spending splurge ends and the French state is obliged to live within its means. The rioting will make the Battle of Stalingrad look like a Morris dancing festival.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

@BoredInParis

You wait until the deficit spending splurge ends and the French state is obliged to live within its means. The rioting will make the Battle of Stalingrad look like a Morris dancing festival.

The last riot they had (PSG winning the league) was right next to where I was doing circuit training. I though the class were crying because it was a tough session.
  • Options
    We feel your pain antifrank. Wont somebody please think of the lawyers?!
  • Options
    Neil said:

I'd imagine Antifrank will be just fine, young graduates looking for training contracts however - well this is where the sharp end will hit.
  • Options
    Mind you - the riots when PM Redward has to meet debt and deficit reality will be pretty ugly too. June 2015 might be a good time to hit the gym for a surreptitious weep!
  • Options
    @antifrank What do the internals of the article say or do I really not want to know based on our messages ?
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited June 2013
    Although Labour Most Shadow Cabinet members have very large majorities – a significant number don’t. Ed Balls has a majority of 1,101. Sadiq Khan 2,524, Ivan Lewis 3,292, Mary Creagh 1,613, Vernon Coaker 1,859 and Owen Smith 2,785. Now if you asked any of them if they’d prefer to add 10,000 to their majority they’d bite your arm off.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but other than Vernon Coaker's (Gedling does seem to be an inherently marginal seat) all the other seats of these Shadow Ministers had a 10,000 Labour majority at some point since 1997. All of those candidates have lost significant majorities which in itself suggests that they have hardly performed well in their constituency. Even new boy Owen Smith saw the formely safe seat of Pontypridd (Kim Howells - 13,000 majority) turn into a marginal under his candidacy. So do these politicians have their finger on the pulse of local concerns? It hardly seems so. Clearly it has made little or no difference previously as they lost enormous majorities.

Rather than provide an advantage, I think this article just demonstrates the ebb & flow of politics more generally. In which case the only advice to Tory ministers is "Brace Yourself"!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pls explain Paul Elliott remarks!!!

• Options
    Was Sarko being smart or just cowardly to leave France unreformed during his stint? Leaving the mess for the socialist Hollande to inherit is delicious. No way they can just bugger on for 4 more years. It will hit the fan on the lefty watch. I'm buying popcorn.

Maybe Dave is more cunning than we think....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,217
    edited June 2013
    Even net trade is making a modest contribution to growth now although the underlying picture is less happy with imports falling faster than exports being the basis of the improvement: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10105470/UK-trade-position-improves-in-April.html

What I find really interesting is the change in trade between the EU and the rest of the world. The Coalition's policy does seem to be bearing fruit there and the rate of change is remarkable. They quote the office of National Statistics which says:

"The positions are now reversed. The volume of exports to the EU has gone down since 2011 by around 5pc, while they have risen to the rest of the world [by] 7pc. Conversely, imports from the EU have risen slightly over this period while they have been flatter from the rest of the world.”

These are really rapid changes in the world of trade. It will be of interest and political importance how far our share of trade going to the EU has fallen by the end of the year, let alone 2017.
  • Options
    Wow, the UK government has been collecting UK citizens' phone call information, despite the fact that a law to do so was withdrawn, by getting the US government to collect it through US companies and then pass the information on to the UK government:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/07/uk-gathering-secret-intelligence-nsa-prism
  • Options
    @Pulpstar The main point of the article was:

"The UK’s largest 100 law firms by revenue nudged up their fee income by an average of only 2.6 per cent in the 2012-13 fiscal year, less than half the median rate of 6.6 per cent seen in the preceding 12 months, according to new research by Deloitte."

Partners will feel some of the pain, though they have the most upholstering. There will be a continuing reduction in partner headcounts, increased use of paralegals and technology and much more brutal career development paths for all lawyers.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited June 2013
    A decade of "austerity"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/spending-review/10106288/Britain-faces-decade-of-austerity-influential-think-tanks-warn.html

Only if you define austerity as less public spending I guess - if so it is austerity for ever. We wont return to the Brown levels of public sector workers for 20-50 years.
  • Options
    Hmm Each Nadal service game an epic fist pumping struggle, each Djoko game an easy hold.

No title number 8 at RG for Nadal methinks.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Patrick said:

Was Sarko being smart or just cowardly to leave France unreformed during his stint? Leaving the mess for the socialist Hollande to inherit is delicious. No way they can just bugger on for 4 more years. It will hit the fan on the lefty watch. I'm buying popcorn.

Maybe Dave is more cunning than we think....

He was being cowardly. He expected to win, and given the Socialists ability to throw away elections that look like open goals, probably with some justification.

Cameron on the other hand has placed himself a little between a rock and a hard place; not doing enough to really fix the problem but doing enough for real pain to be felt. That said, not doing enough may well have enabled growth to surge ahead in time for the election. How he's going to balance that against more retrenchment is an interesting question, but then given that Labour's nominally signed up to austerity now, perhaps that doesn't matter as much.
  • Options
    There has been a new wave of redundancies in Scottish Commercial law firms in the last month with 30 announced from MacLays this week. Not big numbers by London standards but sore enough to hurt in a smaller profession.

The driving force is a chronic lack of deals involving the buying or selling of UK companies. The market has been moribund for so long the wish to hold onto good staff is no longer enough.

The lack of commercial activity is hurting the bar too. People are just not entering enough contracts to generate the disputes. Insolvency is starting to feature a lot more which is a late recession scenario.

There will be a long tail to this recession even when this is over.
  • Options
    I want to know when UK austrity is going to start. For all the buzz spending is still going up.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I want to know when UK austrity is going to start. For all the buzz spending is still going up.

Yes but the shares are changing which is enough to produce whining losers - mostly public sector workers.

Also interest payments are a hefty £44Bn + per annum - not easy to cut those down without a surplus.
  • Options
    @DavidL The Scottish market is consolidating rapidly in response to the current market conditions. I expect to see plenty more mergers, the flight of good partners to financially stronger practices, the enforced transfer of weaker partners to weaker practices and further redundancies at many firms.

Disclaimer: I do have a commercial interest in this process.
  • Options
    @TGOHF

We're running a 6% deficit. And even a super growth number will be a fair bit lower than that. This is not sustainable.

Maybe I'm being harsh and Ozzy is pushing a Goldilocks zone where spending falls at a rate just slow enough not to kill confidence. In which case the increase in debt will not level off for many years. Years to be followed by an extended surplus or 'growth exceeds deficit' zone. Either way public sector largesse is dead for a long long time.

My own view is we could push spending cuts quite a bit harder and offer some tax breaks for small business too. The relative pain of adjustment is not yet falling enough in the public sector and growth stimulus not enough in the private sector.

How about a fiscally neutral sharp cut in total benefits (the 'cap' - which is very popular) and a sharp cut in employers' NIC (also popular, esp for the jobless)?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

"The UK’s largest 100 law firms by revenue nudged up their fee income by an average of only 2.6 per cent in the 2012-13 fiscal year, less than half the median rate of 6.6 per cent seen in the preceding 12 months, according to new research by Deloitte."

Partners will feel some of the pain, though they have the most upholstering. There will be a continuing reduction in partner headcounts, increased use of paralegals and technology and much more brutal career development paths for all lawyers.

Pain? More brutal career development? What does that mean? Having to look for another very well compensated job?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

@TGOHF

We're running a 6% deficit. And even a super growth number will be a fair bit lower than that. This is not sustainable.

Maybe I'm being harsh and Ozzy is pushing a Goldilocks zone where spending falls at a rate just slow enough not to kill confidence. In which case the increase in debt will not level off for many years. Years to be followed by an extended surplus or 'growth exceeds deficit' zone. Either way public sector largesse is dead for a long long time.

My own view is we could push spending cuts quite a bit harder and offer some tax breaks for small business too. The relative pain of adjustment is not yet falling enough in the public sector and growth stimulus not enough in the private sector.

How about a fiscally neutral sharp cut in total benefits (the 'cap' - which is very popular) and a sharp cut in employers' NIC (also popular, esp for the jobless)?

A freeze in benefits until 2015 is the best that GO can get from the Limp Dems I suspect.

• Options

One for tim - Germany throws open its doors to Romanians and Bulgarians......oh wait

"If you are working here illegally -- no matter how -- then please go back to where you came from!"

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-interior-minister-expell-eastern-european-poverty-immigrants-a-904415.html

If someone in the UK said that there'd be in danger of getting arrested for incitement to racial hatred.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@DavidL The Scottish market is consolidating rapidly in response to the current market conditions. I expect to see plenty more mergers, the flight of good partners to financially stronger practices, the enforced transfer of weaker partners to weaker practices and further redundancies at many firms.

Disclaimer: I do have a commercial interest in this process.

Yep.The absorbtion of McGrigors, historically one of Scotland's largest commercial firms, by Pinsent Mason (who probably barely noticed) last year set a trend that has a long way to go. It is more than a little ironic that at a time Scotland is supposedly thinking about Independence its' historically indepedent and proud legal profession is being gobbled up by England like never before.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

A freeze in benefits until 2015 is the best that GO can get from the Limp Dems I suspect.

It's been well reported that the Lib Dems wont agree to further welfare cuts until the Tories agree to drop the protection of certain pensioner benefits. Stalemate but one that the Tories are equally to blame for (if your goal is to further restrict benefit payments).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Pain? More brutal career development? What does that mean? Having to look for another very well compensated job?
    It means not becoming a solicitor due to not getting a training contract. And redundancies from £16k a year legal help jobs. Thats err what it means.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

It's been well reported that the Lib Dems wont agree to further welfare cuts until the Tories agree to drop the protection of certain pensioner benefits. Stalemate but one that the Tories are equally to blame for (if your goal is to further restrict benefit payments).
    Is that a LD agreement in an AV vote for boundary repeal kind of way ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Yes but the shares are changing which is enough to produce whining losers - mostly public sector workers.

Also interest payments are a hefty £44Bn + per annum - not easy to cut those down without a surplus.
    What hardship in the public sector would that be exactly? The most interesting thing about this article from the end of last year was the failure to find a convincing answer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20561444

370K off the public wage bill but a 2% rise in the wage bill in the same timescale equivalent to an average increase in earnings for those in the public sector of 9% in 2 years when wages for the majority in the private sector were not rising at all (April 2010 to April 2012).

A major reason for "austerity" not cutting the deficit or public spending is how difficult it has proven in practice to restrict public sector wage increases. The contractual entitlements built into their employment under the last government have proven extremely difficult to resist.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

What hardship in the public sector would that be exactly? The most interesting thing about this article from the end of last year was the failure to find a convincing answer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20561444

370K off the public wage bill but a 2% rise in the wage bill in the same timescale equivalent to an average increase in earnings for those in the public sector of 9% in 2 years when wages for the majority in the private sector were not rising at all (April 2010 to April 2012).

A major reason for "austerity" not cutting the deficit or public spending is how difficult it has proven in practice to restrict public sector wage increases. The contractual entitlements built into their employment under the last government have proven extremely difficult to resist.
    The best way to save cash therefore is to have a lot less of them...
  • Options
    Anyway back on topic, No not particularly if you are a Labour Minister.

I'll tell you a minister who could do with another 10,000 majority to his seat - Danny Alexander - current majority 8765. At a guess I'd say he would be likely to lose it next GE though. Probably Evens to hold, 5/6 to lose it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

And we do. The number employed by the state has fallen for 13 consecutive quarters: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pse/public-sector-employment/q4-2012/index.html

The cumulative effect is remarkable and demonstrates vividly how out of control things got under new Labour. Has anyone noticed any of our public services falling apart with over 400,000 fewer workers? What on earth did they all do?

• Options
    Nadal's record at Roland Garros is going to go down in the history books as one of the greatest dominances ever. Just beaten Djoko 9-7 in the 5th.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

And we do. The number employed by the state has fallen for 13 consecutive quarters: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pse/public-sector-employment/q4-2012/index.html

The cumulative effect is remarkable and demonstrates vividly how out of control things got under new Labour. Has anyone noticed any of our public services falling apart with over 400,000 fewer workers? What on earth did they all do?
    Well there is the small matter of A&E departments that are apparently reaching crisis point, though I don't know whether that is due to cuts in headcount.

You also won't necessarily notice the drop in armed forces numbers until you wish to use them in a war somewhere.

You also have to be wary of living in the filter bubble. Just because you haven't noticed public services falling apart, doesn't mean that it isn't happening. It depends how reliant you are on those services, as to whether you would notice, and whether you discount stories about problems in the public service as whining from producer interests, etc.

There are some bits of the public sector that have had sod all pay rises since Brown introduced his 2% pay cap, back when he was still Chancellor. It's all down to how strong your union is, and what sort of pay system you have. It's a long way from being as homogeneous as people make out is the public sector. I reckon Plato would agree - she used to take the Government's shilling, if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    I thought passing a gay marriage law by June was decided on and ordered by a bunch of unelected EU officials in some secret vote somewhere? Unless that's just an internet myth why is everyone talking like it wasn't an EU directive our pretend government had to go along with?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    AndyJS said:
    Thanks AndyJS for the list. It looks like the Lib Dems might be getting their act together on the gender balance - the problem of course is getting elected!

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Well there is the small matter of A&E departments that are apparently reaching crisis point, though I don't know whether that is due to cuts in headcount.

You also won't necessarily notice the drop in armed forces numbers until you wish to use them in a war somewhere.

You also have to be wary of living in the filter bubble. Just because you haven't noticed public services falling apart, doesn't mean that it isn't happening. It depends how reliant you are on those services, as to whether you would notice, and whether you discount stories about problems in the public service as whining from producer interests, etc.

There are some bits of the public sector that have had sod all pay rises since Brown introduced his 2% pay cap, back when he was still Chancellor. It's all down to how strong your union is, and what sort of pay system you have. It's a long way from being as homogeneous as people make out is the public sector. I reckon Plato would agree - she used to take the Government's shilling, if I recall correctly.
    Anyone who has to deal with HMRC for a living will tell you that the cuts in staffing have had an impact. Just to give one example, on many matters where you could previously call your Inspector to get an answer/documentation/notification etc you now have to speak to a contact centre staffed with people who don't know the answers to any but the simplest questions. If (when) they can't answer, you get told that someone who can answer will call you back within 48 hours. It's generally 47 hours, no less. And if you miss the call, the best you get is a message telling you to call the contact centre once more, meaning that you have to wait another 47 hours for another call back. So if you're paying your tax adviser by the hour, it's likely that your cost of doing business has increased as a result of this particular cut.

Another example is on the planning side - many councils have terribly understaffed planning departments; a case I've dealt with lately took 3 months longer for a response than was expected and cost me about £500 more in architects' fees than it should have done/would have done 5 years ago.

There's a legitimate argument that these costs should fall on the service user, but in these (and I imagine many other) cases, it's hard to see how one could argue that staffing cuts have been consequence-free.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    On-topic and away from the half-baked and poorly-quoted nonsense about cutting public sector workers (half the loss is down to the re-classification of workers in colleges).

Good grief, it's bad enough that most people on here have to run off and quote someone else because they're incapable of forming an argument themselves but then to completely misunderstand the information you're using to support your own argument.

I mean, mouth meet foot - please get better acquainted.

Sorr, on-topic, and almost the only response worth reading as most of the early discussion descended into a rant about Ed Balls came, as might be expected, from David Herdson. I recall one of the problems Conservatives after 1997 and Labour after 1979 had was the sense among the survivors that they were untouchable.

If all that you represent is the heartland that's the voice you'll be listening to. I would argue the limited improvement in Conservative fortunes in 2005 and the election of 30-35 new MPs allowed Cameron and all he stood for to gain the upper hand. In the same way, I think Blair gained from the influx of Labour MPs elected in 1992.

The mauling of 1997 carried away experience - what was left were the backwoodspeople often without any prospect of Ministerial advancement who suddenly found themselves having to shadow Ministers for which they were almost completely unprepared.

I suspect that short of a landslide in 2015, the Conservative Opposition frontbench will be a much stronger outfit than recent Governments have faced and once having coalesced around a new leader and seen off UKIP (love-bombing anyone?), they will be a formidable force.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Wow, the UK government has been collecting UK citizens' phone call information, despite the fact that a law to do so was withdrawn, by getting the US government to collect it through US companies and then pass the information on to the UK government:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/07/uk-gathering-secret-intelligence-nsa-prism

Anything to stop terrorism - except controlling the borders and deporting the sort of preachers responsible for radicalizing people.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Three new German polls out in the last few days, all putting Merkel's party on 41-42%:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    AndyJS said:

Three new German polls out in the last few days, all putting Merkel's party on 41-42%:

But the FDP are stubbornly below the 5% threshold, which I think is needed to continue the current coalition.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Saw the end of the Nadal-Djokovic match. It was rather good. One suspects Wimbledon could be very good, especially if the top 4 reach the semis.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    F1: Thai Grand Prix could well be off after legislation bans racing in the historic quarter:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/109939.html

Good news. The last thing we need is another city centre street circuit, like Singapore.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Pain for partners = less money, in some cases a lot less money. Or losing their jobs.

More brutal career development = less tolerance of plodders, more average lawyers losing their jobs.

There will be fewer jobs for lawyers all round, which means that many lawyers will have no jobs, very well compensated or otherwise.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Patrick said:

@Patrick

Thanks for that link. Although I was aware of it I have never really followed Speigel's coverge of Franco-German relations. Half an hour's train reading was really illuminating (and prejudice-confirming). How will la belle France get out of the mire? I do hope they do, and become a more positive influence on World events.

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Patrick said:

http://www.spiegel.de/international
    Their struggles over gay marriage really still shock me. I've seen people pepper sprayed in the street. Far more open antagonism of police and passers by and the other night, a mate of a mate got killed 2 nights ago, presumably because he said the wrong thing to the wrong people.

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Genuinely shocked. Gay marriage opponents was it?
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

@Patrick

Thanks for that link. Although I was aware of it I have never really followed Speigel's coverge of Franco-German relations. Half an hour's train reading was really illuminating (and prejudice-confirming). How will la belle France get out of the mire? I do hope they do, and become a more positive influence on World events.

Anyone with access to the times ?

Benedict Brogan ‏@benedictbrogan 1h

France's political and economic crisis latest: military talk of a coup (h/t @timothy_stanley) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3783614.ece

"Charles Bremner Paris
    Published at 12:01AM, June 6 2013

Sections of the French military have called for a coup to save the country, it emerged yesterday.

The Defence Ministry was taking seriously appeals from royalist, ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups on the internet and in a magazine for a “coup de force” as criticism of François Hollande grows.

The plotters claim that France is threatened by decadence, symbolised by the legalisation last month of gay marriage."
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Quiz competiion: Fill-in the missing word....
    An ??????? terror group plotted to bomb the EDL for “blasphemy” because they were bored and not very intelligent, a court heard today.
    The answer can be found here....

:awaits-low-viz-punishment:
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    A straw in the economic wind: our big annual conference is in Boston starting Sunday. It is a complete sell out with people offering us over the odds to get in. It's always been popular, but never to this extent. All very exciting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2013
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

But the FDP are stubbornly below the 5% threshold, which I think is needed to continue the current coalition.
    They're only one percentage point below the threshold. The chances are enough CDU/CSU voters will vote tactically to push them above 5%. We saw that in Lower Saxony at the start of the year, where the FDP polled 10% compared to 5% in most polls.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    There really needs to be a shorthand for 'News story that is not really news'

Two influential think tanks have warned that austerity measures in the UK could still be in place when the 2020 election takes place.

No kidding! And I was so convinced that it would end in 2017 after being pushed back 2 years, and then that it would end in 2018 after being pushed back another year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22819843
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 10
    On topic. Isn't this an argument for Single Transferable Vote, because I keep reading instances in Ireland where Cabinet Ministers there having to break off from international summits to attend some constituency event for fear of losing their seat?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

pbr2013 said:

Patrick said:

@Patrick

Anyone with access to the times ?

Benedict Brogan ‏@benedictbrogan 1h

France's political and economic crisis latest: military talk of a coup (h/t @timothy_stanley) http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article3783614.ece

"Charles Bremner Paris
    Published at 12:01AM, June 6 2013

Sections of the French military have called for a coup to save the country, it emerged yesterday.

The Defence Ministry was taking seriously appeals from royalist, ultra-traditionalist Catholic groups on the internet and in a magazine for a “coup de force” as criticism of François Hollande grows.

The plotters claim that France is threatened by decadence, symbolised by the legalisation last month of gay marriage."
    Awesome. I haven't watched the BBC's pretend news for ages, have they been covering the massive French aggro over the gay marriage law their pretend government was ordered to pass by the EU as well?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Quiz competiion: Fill-in the missing word....

An ??????? terror group plotted to bomb the EDL for “blasphemy” because they were bored and not very intelligent, a court heard today.
    The answer can be found here....

:awaits-low-viz-punishment:

A great defence: my client is really stupid!

Mind you under Labours workfare scheme these plotters would be in the workfare scheme. perhaps as class room assistants or as helpers in old folks homes, rather than creating economic growth and employment in the criminal justice sector of the economy.
This discussion has been closed.