Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB poll on the 2014 Euros

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB poll on the 2014 Euros

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    UKIP. No comfort to Labour.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    When is cap not a cap? When it is announced by Ed Balls...

@GdnPolitics: Ed Balls clarifies Labour position over pension spending http://bit.ly/13pFgSb
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Is 9/2 the current price for a Conservative majority at the GE 2015 feel correct ?

Reading this site does not give me that impression.

Which shows this site is not a good guide for winning any money.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    Ladbrokes match bet still looks wrong to me..

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics-and-election/uk-european-election/most-votes-match-bet

When the outright betting was 2s Ukip and 10s Cons they had Cons fav... and a 4/5 shot to beat a 6/1 shot is 4/7?
  • JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    FPT, Charles - "Do us a favour and post the link to your website can you?

That way when we don't read it it's a deliberate choice rather than just laziness

Cheers!"

You're not the target audience, Charles. Lefties need to know what really goes on at PB - people such as yourself understandably don't care, because it doesn't affect you and presumably never will.

Incidentally, many PBers do read Scot Goes Pop. My most faithful fan comes from Lombardia.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    I want to meet the person who said "Greens" and offer him/her/it 20-1 odds.

I want to meet the person who said "Greens" and offer him/her/it 20-1 odds.

I assumed Neil had been on the Pimms early...
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Ukip will win, they are borrowing a lot of voters that would otherwise be with Labour or the Lib Dems.

A year is a long time in politics, but I don't see Ukip's bubble deflating until January 2015.

people such as yourself understandably don't care, because it doesn't affect you and presumably never will.

As far as I can see it only effects people who put OGH at legal risk (IMHO he's got a conservative stance on this, but I can understand that he's risk adverse) and those individuals who are needlessly rude to others.

We all know you think you're superior to Plato for some reason. None of us really care - for most of us you are just two people who post on the same website. It's just boring to read your jibes.

Be the bigger man.
    Charles said:

Be the bigger man.

LOL

The mods will rue the day they took on JK
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    UK European Election Outrights
    View all odds
    Most Votes
    UKIP (4/5), Labour (7/4), Conservatives (7), Liberal Democrats (125)
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Labour achieved 15.7 % in the 2009 EU elections. EdM is if anything more unsound than Brown was on the european question. I expect Labour's dismal run in EU elections to continue next year.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I voted Labour, but in truth it wouldn't surprise me at this stage if it were any of Labour, UKIP and the Conservatives.
    "As far as I can see it only effects people who put OGH at legal risk (IMHO he's got a conservative stance on this, but I can understand that he's risk adverse) and those individuals who are needlessly rude to others."

The former doesn't apply to me, and as for the latter - DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. I could give you chapter and verse on the abuse I have been subjected to here, without the slightest protection from the moderators, and I'm supposed to accept that the real problem is me being beastly to that poor, delicate wee flower Plato?

Try harder, Charles. Or just stop trying.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

UKIP.

Rumour, as yet unconfirmed, that Hamilton may have a gearbox-related penalty. That would promote Bottas to 2nd and, helpfully, Webber to 4th.

Oh, and Nadal won in straight sets. Huzzah!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    IMO it's going to be very close between the LDs and Greens in the Euro election. Last time the LDs polled 13.7% and the Greens 8.1%. The Green vote stayed exactly the same as at the previous Euro election in 2004 so there must be a good chance they'll get about 8% again.
    F1: Change was to reverse gear, so Hamilton, annoyingly, has no penalty. Oh well.

"As far as I can see it only effects people who put OGH at legal risk (IMHO he's got a conservative stance on this, but I can understand that he's risk adverse) and those individuals who are needlessly rude to others."

The former doesn't apply to me, and as for the latter - DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH. I could give you chapter and verse on the abuse I have been subjected to here, without the slightest protection from the moderators, and I'm supposed to accept that the real problem is me being beastly to that poor, delicate wee flower Plato?

Why don't you post it on you blog, and I'll go and read it later ;-)
    "Why don't you post it on you blog, and I'll go and read it later ;-)"

I'm doing that as we speak. Anyone would think you're trying to slow me down.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

"Why don't you post it on you blog, and I'll go and read it later ;-)"

I'm doing that as we speak. Anyone would think you're trying to slow me down.

Very sensible James - make yourself look ridiculous on a blog with a small readership rather than a large one. But given you're so smart....I wonder at you doing it at all?

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Charles said:

Why don't you post it on you blog, and I'll go and read it later ;-)
    LOL, a waste of cyberspace .
    "Very sensible James - make yourself look ridiculous on a blog with a small readership rather than a large one. But given you're so smart....I wonder at you doing it at all?"

You don't seem to be listening, Carlotta. How unusual.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    FPT:

This is how UKIP did in the local elections when you just take the seats they contested into account. For example in Lincolnshire they polled 31% in seats contested compared to 24% overall:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDlES3BYejV2WVk1QTNldy11c2ZtSGc#gid=0
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Andy_JS said:

FPT:

This is how UKIP did in the local elections when you just take the seats they contested into account. For example in Lincolnshire they polled 31% in seats contested compared to 24% overall:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDlES3BYejV2WVk1QTNldy11c2ZtSGc#gid=0

There will of course be a reason why they didn't contest the other ones, like that they didn't expect to do well, so this shouldn't be read to mean that their "real" level of Lincs support is 31%. That doesn't mean that the stat isn't interesting - UKIP's chances of winning seats depends very much on having a non-even spread of votes. If they got 31% in some seats in the GE they'd certainly pick up a few.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dear Plato,

Now that James has sulked off, do you have any amusing cat videos for us while I cook dinner?

"Now that James has sulked off"

I haven't sulked off. I've just been busy fulfilling the promise I made to the moderators yesterday.
    Iain Banks has died.
  • What we really need are Scottish cat videos, then everyone will be happy.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Iain Banks has died.

Hugely sad. One of the best authors of the late 20th/early 21st centuries as far as I am concerned. Not only able to have wild flights of fantasy and extraordinary leaps of imagination but more importantly also able to make them seem real and possible.

Way too young to be passing. RIP
    Margo MacDonald has drawn attention to the likely infiltration of the Scottish nationalist movement by MI5. I would like to point Margo in the direction of your blog and PB comments as areas worth investigation.

• FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    FPT: For Wee-Jimmy O'Kelly.

Not much of advice, but....

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/55365/#Comment_55365

Andy_JS said:

FPT:

There will of course be a reason why they didn't contest the other ones, like that they didn't expect to do well, so this shouldn't be read to mean that their "real" level of Lincs support is 31%. That doesn't mean that the stat isn't interesting - UKIP's chances of winning seats depends very much on having a non-even spread of votes. If they got 31% in some seats in the GE they'd certainly pick up a few.
    More likely - and this was certainly the case in Lincolnshire - they lacked the local organisation on the ground to get candidates in all those constituencies.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited June 2013

Iain Banks has died.

God, that's awful. Last I heard he was zooming around the Highlands in a sports car and considering chemotherapy.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good evening:
    Patrick O'Flynn, political correspondent of the Daily Express, has joined UKIP and wants to stand as an MEP in 2014. All PBers can follow his fine example: joining, I mean. :)

What we really need are Scottish cat videos, then everyone will be happy.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/scottish-fold-kittens-being-adorable

well, at least they are ethnic Scots.

Andy_JS said:

FPT:

More likely - and this was certainly the case in Lincolnshire - they lacked the local organisation on the ground to get candidates in all those constituencies.
    Thats probably very true. Nigel confessed yesterday that he grossly underestimated the potential UKIP vote in the May locals, and thought that 60/70 seats would be doing well.
    He and the UKIP executive won't make that mistake again.

• CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I was torn between UKIP and Labour.

Very sad about Iain Banks. 'The Wasp Factory' is one of those books I not only remember reading, but where I was and where my life was at when I read it. I don't think he bettered it, but maybe it just resonated with me at the time.
    I have gone for UKIP mostly out of a wish fulfilment rather than any sense of certainty. I think it will be between Labour and UKIP but really don't have the confidence to say with any certainty one way or the other.
  • UKIP. No, Labour. No, UKIP. Or Labour. One of them, any way.
    Which shows you how irrelevant the Euros are, when either sceptic UKIP or phile Labour are both in with a shout. No one knows, or cares, who their MEP is anyway.
    Mr. Tyndall, not sure if you're being unnecessarily cautious, but I'd be very surprised if anyone but UKIP topped the poll.
    edited June 2013
    "No one knows, or cares, who their MEP is anyway."

Untrue. Farage and Dan Hannan are MEPs and are two of UK's best known politicians.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    If the Tories narrowly beat UKIP and Labour that will be a big coup for them, given even Hague won the Euros in 1999 when the Tories were massacred 2 years later I am surprised they have not scored higher!
  • davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    I have a feeling that I'm about to get a comment moderated on another website from north of the border.

No matter, I don't think I will be revisiting that one anytime soon.

By the sounds of it, the real problem is that no-one knows what the voting system is. None of us have been represented by a single MEP since 1999.
    Also RIP Iain Banks but congratulations Rafael Nadal on a historic 8th French Open win, despite the gay marriage protestors
    "I have a feeling that I'm about to get a comment moderated on another website from north of the border."

You absolutely are not going to get moderated if you've just left a comment on my blog, David. That sort of nonsense may go on here, but don't project it onto me.
    Mr. HYUFD, what do gay marriage protestors have to do with the French Open?
    In case you missed it shock Jock Alex Jones causing conspiracy theorist mayhem on Andrew Neil and shouting his head off
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22832994
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    RIP Iain Banks.

I shall raise a glass of whisky to your memory.
    Mr. HYUFD, I knew that name was familiar. Jones is the chap who was an absolute shrieking lunatic when 'talking' with Piers Morgan about gun control, and managed to make Morgan look like the most sensible and delightful of chaps.
    Morris Dancer - Indeed making Morgan look sensible is some achievement, Neil called him 'the most difficult man he had ever interviewed'

"I have a feeling that I'm about to get a comment moderated on another website from north of the border."

You absolutely are not going to get moderated if you've just left a comment on my blog, David. That sort of nonsense may go on here, but don't project it onto me.

If so, then respect to you sir.

Maybe drop the silly name calling and whatnot with you and Plato though, it's a bit er.....crap all round really.

Can we all pick on Tim Yeo instead please? I don't think he's been trashed enough today after his exposure as a hypocritical troughing pretend tree hugger. We surely can all unite in hating his guts even more now...?

Truly the embodiement of all that is wrong with our politicians today.
    MorrisDancer - They invaded the court at one point in protest at Hollande's gay marriage bill, including one wearing a mask and carrying a flame
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22833798
  • "No one knows, or cares, who their MEP is anyway."

By the sounds of it, the real problem is that no-one knows what the voting system is. None of us have been represented by a single MEP since 1999.

There you go James, I didn't know that, and more importantly, I guess the vast majority of the population don't know either.
    I get the feeling that the British public don't really know what they want from the EU, but whatever it is, it's not "this".

I think that's pretty disrespectful to Nadal and Ferrer. Thankfully it didn't alter the result.
    Grant Shapps axes any candidate from the candidate list who failed to campaign in Eastleigh
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    I seem to have missed catgate. I don't get what the big deal is, PB is not just about nuanced political debate, we discuss numerous topics every day in the comment threads. Who cares if we talk about cats, or sports etc., if you don't want to read it just skip over it.
    Morris Dancer - Indeed, but the bill has passed anyway so not likely to have much political impact, although it does underline the social conservatism in much off France
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited June 2013
    @NickPalmer

It's true that UKIP wouldn't have contested areas where they thought they weren't going to do as well, although on the other hand they would have obviously picked up some support in those divisions if they had stood, so in Lincolnshire for example they probably would have ended up with somewhere between 24% and 31% if they'd stood in every seat.

I think the method Rallings & Thrasher use when making notional calculations is to take the lowest share won by a particular party in the area in question and use that figure to fill in the missing gaps in wards/divisions where the party didn't stand.

In Lincolnshire the lowest UKIP share was 5.69% in Deeping St James (where well-known Labour candidate Phil Dilks was elected). So you'd use 5.69% for the 16 divisions where UKIP didn't stand rather than zero per-cent.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The woes of Tim Yeo are most amusing - I think pwned is teh correct interwebs expression here :^ )
    edited June 2013
    F1: Claire Williams reckons there's a 40% chance of rain during the race.

Edited extra bit: a moment later Perry asks her if she's seen a weather forecast. Pay attention!
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:

Good evening:
    Patrick O'Flynn, political correspondent of the Daily Express, has joined UKIP and wants to stand as an MEP in 2014. All PBers can follow his fine example: joining, I mean. :)

It will be helpful if joiners are paranoid as The Daily Express front pages.
    perdix said:

MikeK said:

Good evening:

It will be helpful if joiners are paranoid as The Daily Express front pages.
    You want to get a life, you sad sack.

• ProfessorDaveyProfessorDavey Posts: 64
    edited June 2013

Untrue. Farage and Dan Hannan are MEPs and are two of UK's best known politicians.

Farage is extremely well known.

Dan Hannan is completely unknown outside of the politico bubble. I very much doubt he would be recognised by more than a tiny proportion of the population when shown a picture of him. Indeed I suspect if you told people his name and asked whether they'd ever heard of him, most wouldn't have.

Andy_JS said:

@NickPalmer

It's true that UKIP wouldn't have contested areas where they thought they weren't going to do as well, although on the other hand they would have obviously picked up some support in those divisions if they had stood, so in Lincolnshire for example they probably would have ended up with somewhere between 24% and 31% if they'd stood in every seat.

What we actually need is a thread where we can all guess the size of the UKIP vote/victory in the Euros next year. Over a year ago I was predicting on here they would come top of the poll, way before the Faragasm, and there were plenty of people ready to shoot me down. Of course I still may be wrong on that, but it's becoming more likely every day....I also said the Tories would get hammered, and I stick to that. A major chunk of even normally loyal Conservative voters are going to use those elections to send a very loud and clear message......

So I reckon, and I'm being honest here:

Turnout 50-55%

UKIP - 40%
    Labour - 25%
    Tories - 15%
    Lib Dems + Greens - approx 12% between them, no idea how it will split.
    Rest - 8%

i am not prepared to bet my left testicle on this though.

• JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    MikeK said:

Good evening:

It had to happen. How long before Nigel Farrage is exclusively exposed as the mastermind of the plot to murder Princess Diana whilst simultaneously orchestrating the slump in house prices?
    I don't think the UKIP leader would approve of today's Express headline:

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/79797/sunday_express_sunday_9th_june_2013.html

Though it certainly ticks the paranoia box.
    But, first, the speech. There was nothing in it. It said that Labour would cut spending on welfare – I mean social security – by (a) getting more people into work, (b) raising wages so that they don't have to be topped up with tax credits, and (c) building more houses to cut the cost of housing benefit. Not only that, a Labour government would strengthen public support for social security by linking benefits more to contributions people make when they are in work.

In other words, once you had referred to the footnotes, nothing. Ed Balls had delivered the footnotes three days earlier, in his "iron discipline" speech, saying that Labour would not spend more than the coalition, except on capital projects. So more, better-paid jobs would be paid for from the no-money tree; and the contributory principle would be paid for by taking from those contributing for less than five years to give to those who have contributed for longer.

The most interesting thing Miliband said was after the speech, when he was asked about Labour's soliciting of "tax-efficient" donations. Thus was his sanctimony exposed. Worse than insincere, it was unwise. Do Miliband and his advisers ever think through the next question that they are going to be asked? If you condemn legal tax avoidance, then do you or your donors pay more tax than they have to? If you draw a distinction between predators and producers, then who do you mean by predators? The week before last, Miliband finally had an answer to this question, a year and a half after he invited it. In a speech to Google, a company described as "evil" by another Labour MP for failing to pay more tax than is required by law, Miliband identified Montgomery Burns, who is a cartoon character, as an example of what he meant by a predator.

And if you decide that you are going to take away the winter fuel allowance from top-rate tax-paying pensioners, surely you need to be ready for the next question, which is, "Are you going to take away free TV licences?" The social security system in this country is an inconsistent mixture of universal, means-tested and a few contributory benefits, but if you are going to propose a change it is better to invent a reason for it that will get Liam Byrne, Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, through a radio interview in one piece.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/wrong-sort-of-transparency-mr-miliband-8650710.html

Dan Hannan is completely unknown outside of the politico bubble. I very much doubt he would be recognised by more than a tiny proportion of the population when shown a picture of him. Indeed I suspect if you told people his name and asked whether they'd ever heard of him, most wouldn't have.

Dan Hannan has been seen by at least 3 million people from this speech alone ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs

To call him unknown is preposterous.
    @MonikerDiCanio That video has been seen by 100 people who have watched it at least 30,000 times each.
  • "No one knows, or cares, who their MEP is anyway."

I've just asked my wife if she knew who Hannan was. She's never heard of him, and she usually knows everything.

antifrank said:

I don't think the UKIP leader would approve of today's Express headline:

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/79797/sunday_express_sunday_9th_june_2013.html

Though it certainly ticks the paranoia box.

I think Farage has already had cancer, and would probably take the John Mortimer approach

"no pleasure is worth forgoing to gain another three years in the geriatric ward"

But that's not because they are MEPs.

I suspect that, of those of their constituents who know who they are, only a minority know that they are their MEP
  • BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

I've just asked my wife if she knew who Hannan was. She's never heard of him, and she usually knows everything.

I just asked my wife and she said: "we're not getting curry again tonight"
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Labour estimates that one in every two voters in 2010 was over 55"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/ed-balls-well-include-pensions-in-our-welfare-cap/
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I take it all back.

Tim is not the most obsessive person on this forum.
    @anotherDave

I think I made a similar estimate a few months ago. In the local elections the majority of voters would have been over 60 or even 65+ in some areas.

"Labour estimates that one in every two voters in 2010 was over 55"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/ed-balls-well-include-pensions-in-our-welfare-cap/

If that's true, why on earth do political parties chose blokes in romper suits for their leaders ? Is that in part a cause for poltical disenchantment ?
    Labour were reduced to 15.7% in the 2009 Euros. It'll be amusing if the Tories go below that next year.
    The average age of the population is 40, the average adult is about 45, the average person on the electoral roll is probably about 47. Since young people have a poor turnout record, the average voter would be close to 55.
    Poor Bono is feeling hurt that people are criticsing him for his tax dodging.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/u2-not-feeling-the-love-over-tax-29331241.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Really sad about Iain M Banks (I very much preferred his sci fi although the Crow Road was excellent). Excession, Use of Weapons, Player of Games, all truly first rank. One of the great things about his books was that he was brave enough to be funny in books that were not comedies.

I will miss him, he was a good racontuer as well.
    edited June 2013
    SeanT said:

Greetings from the terrace of my hotel in Florence.

http://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/343774943038808064/photo/1

Re Catnatgate, the only problem with prohibiting petty personal squabbles is that petty personal squabbles sometimes comprise 80% of the threads, especially on the slower news days. I fear pb might be a tad tumbleweedy without them.

Also, they can be fun. The idea of James Kelly making us rue the day we annoyed him, by reposting an old pb thread on the 98th most popular politics blog in Midlothian, is too delicious a pleasure to be lightly foregone.

Been raining then, or are the puddles the remains of Farages beer spills.

• SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/u2-not-feeling-the-love-over-tax-29331241.html

It's not Bono, it's U2. And they haven't said they're feeling "hurt" about anything. They've just asked the government if they can have a copy of what was said. That seems very reasonable.
    HYUFD said:
    Nick Griffin doesn't seem to know what a terrorist is.
    Socrates said:

It's not Bono, it's U2. And they haven't said they're feeling "hurt" about anything. They've just asked the government if they can have a copy of what was said. That seems very reasonable.
    It looks like the Irish tax authorities still haven't found what they're looking for.

edited June 2013
    Here's a cute video of some British tabbies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOytcpas7xs

I say British but, to be honest, they're probably English tabbies for all practical purposes, and Scotland isn't adequately represented among them. I blame the union.
    Floater said:

I take it all back.

He missed the irony underlying my request...

Even despite the wink at the end...
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Is Rory Kinnear the new Doctor Who? Bookmakers suspend bets on new Time Lord after 'BBC bosses offer actor the role'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2338507/Is-Rory-Kinnear-new-Doctor-Who-Bookmakers-suspend-bets-new-Time-Lord-BBC-bosses-offer-actor-role.html
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Alanbrooke,

"It looks like the Irish tax authorities still haven't found what they're looking for."

Very good!
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Floater said:

I take it all back.

James could start an argument in an empty room - then lose it.

Apparently Vettel was booed as he began to speak during the podium interview.
  • TapperTapper Posts: 14
    People used to laugh at me on here for saying UKIP would be pivotal in UK politics one day.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Socrates said:

Nick Griffin doesn't seem to know what a terrorist is.

According to his Wikipedia biog, he was the co-founder of Umkhonto we Sizwe and instigator of the armed struggle. Surely that makes him a (former) terrorist?

Nick,

With your Danish connections, do you have any perspectives on the Danish GPs strike?

It seems that 90% are threatening to leave their NHS because of harsh terms being imposed by the govt.

It was passed to me by a UK GP as an example of what may happen if GPs contracts are unilaterally changed by a govt:

http://cphpost.dk/news/politics/doctor-conflict-intensifies-gps-threaten-leave-health-service
This discussion has been closed.