Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s guide to the Aberdeen, Donside Scottish Pa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s guide to the Aberdeen, Donside Scottish Parliamentary By-Election

Aberdeen, Donside is only the seventh constituency by-election to the Scottish Parliament since it was re-founded back in 1999 and in that time only one seat (Ayr in 2000) has changed hands.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    First? So soon a new thread?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,007
    edited June 2013
    'six months later both Jean Urquhart MSP and John Finnie MSP (SNP, Highlands and the Islands) resigned the SNP whip over the party’s change in its policy towards NATO. This means that the SNP have 64 seats at the moment and an SNP loss in Donside would see the SNP lose their overall majority (but still able to pass leglisation with the help of Margo McDonald MSP (Ind, Lothians) and the two Green MSP’s).'

There's no realistic issue on which Finnie and Urquhart wouldn't vote with the SNP (and if there was, Margo & the Greens would be just as likely to bail on it).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Based on today's yougov, UKIP and the LDs are tied on 5%, if UKIP overtake the LDs in Scotland too that would be a big coup for them!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2013
    I was left in the previous thread....

Salford-Weaste and Seedley

Lab 785 UKIP 401 Con 260 Green 80 BNP 74 Ind 64 LD 58 TUSC 30 Ind 15
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Hello Sunil!

Well what a past 30 hours on the financial markets it has been - commodities down, bonds down (yields up), stocks down, and the US Dollar UP UP UP. Its been a long while for this dynamic to establish itself, like the chaos of Autumn 2008.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-20/charting-king-dollars-creeping-attempt-takeover-world

We've had some very interesting developments in China:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-19/china-interbank-market-freezes-overnight-repo-explodes-25

And note well the goings on of China Everbright Bank - it will be the first of many many missed debt payments:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-13/market-would-have-collapsed-had-pboc-drained-chinese-liquidity-shortage-hits-all-tim

Its no surprise that the interbank lending market freezed up quickly after that.

And Greece refuses to go away:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-20/stocks-plunge-imf-tells-greece-plug-holes-or-it-pulls-plug

Its a very canny game that Greece is playing, at a time when Merkel can't afford for anything to go wrong before September. Well that election will be 3 months too late for her. I saw AFD were doing well in a recent poll, it will be fascinating to see if they can gain more traction in the run up to the election. And just when there needed no more reminding of declining social mood, the protests in Brazil and their stockmarket, the Bovespa at a 4 year low.

Once we've got this weekend out of the way, I'm pretty bullish on US markets into around late July, and then finally the greatest financial implosion of all can begin. Its been a long long wait, much longer than I thought possible a few years ago. 2008 will be a tiny footnote in history compared to the financial hurricane lying in wait right now.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2013

First? So soon a new thread?

It was so OGH could avoid answering this question, FPT... ;-)

Perhaps OGH can give us a local perspective on why this is such a bad thing? It sounds rather positive to me.

So how to smash this system? The model can be found in a Bedford secondary located in one of the nation’s most deprived wards – yet its reputation is such that it steals pupils from nearby private schools. Not that it’s colonised by the rich: a fifth of its intake are poor enough to qualify for free school meals. The children of the wealthy and less fortunate sit together in identical uniforms, knowing little about each other’s circumstances and caring less. The Bedford Free School ought to be a pin-up for anyone who cares about social cohesion. Yet this week, the Labour Party made clear it would strangle this experiment at birth.

Stephen Twigg, the shadow education secretary, didn’t mention the Bedford Free School by name, but he didn’t need to. It was set up by Mark Lehain, a former teacher, in the teeth of opposition from the council, which ran seven other schools of varying quality. There is no need for an eighth, the council said, as some of these schools still have vacancies. But Mr Lehain took a different view: parents should decide if a new school was needed. He has now filled all 200 of his places, leaving his furious rivals to nurse more “surplus” spaces than ever.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10132323/The-Tories-are-fighting-for-the-people-Labour-has-abandoned.html
  • Options
    My brother and his wife live in Gilmerton and Liberton where there has been a local election today - have just texted them to see if they voted or not, they're hardly the most political animals around so I think rather not!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    hunchman said:

Once we've got this weekend out of the way, I'm pretty bullish on US markets into around late July, and then finally the greatest financial implosion of all can begin. Its been a long long wait, much longer than I thought possible a few years ago. 2008 will be a tiny footnote in history compared to the financial hurricane lying in wait right now.

You'd have more credibility if you were here more often rather than just posting own the down days in the market.
  • Options
    Labour win Glenrothes North, Leslie & Markinch
  • Options
    Charles said:

hunchman said:

You'd have more credibility if you were here more often rather than just posting own the down days in the market.
    Sheesh, I've just told you there that I'm no permabear - in fact I've made money on the long side this year, and will do hopefully again over the next month. And when the great implosion gets underway, there'll be days where the market will be up over 5% with violent short covering rallies - when markets overall crash that's when you get the biggest single day up movements amongst them eg Nasdaq crash from 2000-2002, 2008 and 1930-1932, and I'll be around here to comment on them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Salford pass notes: UKIP a fair second, good result, Labour a comfortable win but lower %, OK result, Tories down and third, weak result, :LibDems 7th, LOL result.
  • Options
    Greek coalition on the verge of collapse, where have we heard that before?!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-20/greek-coalition-verge-collapse-snap-elections-scenario-returns
  • Options
    No hiding places ........ apart from US Dollar cash. Well said Mish, I'm not the only one saying it!

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/no-hiding-places.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Good Glenrothes gain for Labour in a split ward where they had the weakest of the 3 seats.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Verification stage completed in Donside.
    38% turnout
  • Options

Salford pass notes: UKIP a fair second, good result, Labour a comfortable win but lower %, OK result, Tories down and third, weak result, :LibDems 7th, LOL result.

Nick - how is the renomination campaign going in Broxtowe? When's the date of the final selection? Good luck - parliament needs more MP's like you, whatever one's political persuasion.

• Options
    The turnout in Salford was 19.91%
  • Options

Verification stage completed in Donside

Any news on when Liberton & Gilmerton will declare?
  • Options
    @Hunchman

Liberton and Gilmerton will apparently count tomorrow morning!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Good Glenrothes gain for Labour in a split ward where they had the weakest of the 3 seats.

It is actually a Labour hold but should have been a SNP gain based on the total votes in 2012

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Good Glenrothes gain for Labour

I hope they dont lose the marked register ;)
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Hello Sunil!

Well what a past 30 hours on the financial markets it has been - commodities down, bonds down (yields up), stocks down, and the US Dollar UP UP UP. Its been a long while for this dynamic to establish itself, like the chaos of Autumn 2008.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-20/charting-king-dollars-creeping-attempt-takeover-world

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-19/china-interbank-market-freezes-overnight-repo-explodes-25

And note well the goings on of China Everbright Bank - it will be the first of many many missed debt payments:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-13/market-would-have-collapsed-had-pboc-drained-chinese-liquidity-shortage-hits-all-tim

Its no surprise that the interbank lending market freezed up quickly after that.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-20/stocks-plunge-imf-tells-greece-plug-holes-or-it-pulls-plug

Its a very canny game that Greece is playing, at a time when Merkel can't afford for anything to go wrong before September. Well that election will be 3 months too late for her. I saw AFD were doing well in a recent poll, it will be fascinating to see if they can gain more traction in the run up to the election. And just when there needed no more reminding of declining social mood, the protests in Brazil and their stockmarket, the Bovespa at a 4 year low.

Hi Hunchman, surely the most important market-related story is Max Keiser was just on BBC This Week!
  • Options

surely the most important market-related story is Max Keiser was just on BBC This Week!

Has Andrew Neil not had his fill of weirdy conspiracy theorists?!
  • Options

@Hunchman

Thanks for that, I await it with interest. It was amazing that the SNP polled highest there, admittedly in their high noon of 2011, when you think that it is wholly contained within the outer wedge part of Edinburgh South where they're a poor 4th in the Westminster election just 12 months earlier.
  • Options

I was left in the previous thread....

Salford-Weaste and Seedley

Lab 785 UKIP 401 Con 260 Green 80 BNP 74 Ind 64 LD 58 TUSC 30 Ind 15

POLDWAS!
  • Options

hunchman said:

Hello Sunil!

Hi Hunchman, surely the most important market-related story is Max Keiser was just on BBC This Week!
    You're right - that is the most important story, and I missed it! Oh well, I'll catch up with it on IPlayer tomorrow now!
  • Options
    Neil said:

surely the most important market-related story is Max Keiser was just on BBC This Week!

Has Andrew Neil not had his fill of weirdy conspiracy theorists?!
    He's highly entertaining though!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Glenrothers First Prefs
    Lab 1896 SNP 1711 Con 272 UKIP 176 Lib Dems 83
    Turnout 29.21%
  • Options
    I see the Cybernats are conspicuous by their absence!

:)
  • Options

His wife didnt marry him for his looks!
  • Options

Glenrothers First Prefs
    Turnout 29.21%

UKIP the 4th party of Scotland?

• Options
    What a shot by Forlan! Are we to have another cracker tonight after Japan's performance last night?
  • Options
    More news on the convulsions in China. All those bulls on that country have got a mighty hammer blow coming their way:

http://www.acting-man.com/?p=24258

Meanwhile Hollande and co are engaging in tyrannical financial repression measures, which anybody with a grain of sense could tell you will be 100% counter-productive:

http://www.acting-man.com/?p=24253
  • Options

Glenrothers First Prefs
    Turnout 29.21%

UKIP the 4th party of Scotland?

Strangely the Lib Dem vote was up in Glenrothes by just 1 vote ( the only party who contested the seat in 2012 to do so ) LOL

• Options
    On STV they are saying SNP expected to be at around 40% in Donside
  • Options

On STV they are saying SNP expected to be at around 40% in Donside

Must watch the last episode of Road to Referendum - the first couple of parts were extremely good on STV.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

@Hunchman

Thanks for that, I await it with interest. It was amazing that the SNP polled highest there, admittedly in their high noon of 2011, when you think that it is wholly contained within the outer wedge part of Edinburgh South where they're a poor 4th in the Westminster election just 12 months earlier.
    SNP did not poll the highest vote the total votes were Labour 3,709 SNP 2,864 with 2 Labour and 1 SNP councillor elected . Should therefore be a Labour gain as SNP are defending .
  • Options
    Neil said:

His wife didnt marry him for his looks!
    Stacey Herbert's good too!
  • Options

hunchman said:

@Hunchman

SNP did not poll the highest vote the total votes were Labour 3,709 SNP 2,864 with 2 Labour and 1 SNP councillor elected . Should therefore be a Labour gain as SNP are defending .
    Sorry about that, my memory playing tricks with me.
  • Options
    STV calling for an SNP hold with an unspecified reduced majority. What a shock! :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    STV predicts 40 to 30%.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "I see the Cybernats are conspicuous by their absence!"

Wrong again, Sunil. I was put at my ease about an hour and a half ago when the sainted Kezia claimed that "anything less than 50%" would be an unmitigated disaster for the SNP.

Labour do seem to be suffering from an ambition deficit in Scotland. As the thread-header points out, this is solid Labour territory at Westminster level, and the SNP are in mid-term. Labour really should be winning.
  • Options
    Maybe UKIP saved the deposit according to STV
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lord Monckton out of his depth on STV....it appears he just said Salmond has been expelled from Labour once...and there has been a famous Stirling by-election....
  • Options
    "Lord Monckton out of his depth on STV....it appears he just said Salmond has been expelled from Labour once...during the Stirling by-election...."

Oh damn, I'm watching the wrong channel. This "Stirling by-election" business seems to be developing into a fully-fledged mythology over at UKIP HQ. There'll be leprichauns involved before too long.
  • Options
    @James

Sorry, I got confused..Salmond has been expelled...and there has been the famous Stirling by-election...but the 2 things are unrelated also on UKIP mind!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Maybe UKIP saved the deposit according to STV

A good result for Farage.

But is there really room for two independence parties in Scotland?

• Options
    Lord Monckton now on the BBC, whingeing about the horrid Nats giving UKIP a bad reception on the doorsteps. The swines!
  • Options
    UKIP are the "most pro-European of the Scottish parties".

I think my head hurts.
  • Options
    "Welfare applies very much in this constituency."

Really?
  • Options
    Lab candidate arrived at the count
  • Options
    Curtice is suggesting that the SNP's lead on the provisional figures is roughly the same as in the 2012 local elections.
  • Options
    SNP candidate arrived too now
  • Options

Curtice is suggesting that the SNP's lead on the provisional figures is roughly the same as in the 2012 local elections.

I recall to have added the local votes one month ago but I can't recall what the result was now.

• Options
    "I recall to have added the local votes one month ago but I can't recall what the result was now."

According to Curtice it was roughly SNP 38%, Labour 32%, so if that's true the SNP might even be slightly exceeding that.
  • Options
    Seems fairly clear that the Conservatives have slipped from third to fourth. Which means...

*puts on Canadian accent*

It's another terrrr-ible night for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks. As I said earlier, STV was saying SNP 40 Lab 30 which is not far from Curtice's figures.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Glenrothes North, Leslie & Markinch changes on first preferences
    Lab +4.9 SNP -6.2 Con +0.8 UKIP 4.3 from nowhere LD +0.5
  • Options
    LibDems third, Con 4th, UKIP 5th according to STV
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    BBC showing very funny archive footage of Vincent Hanna covering the Hillhead by-election. It started with Roy Jenkins (as Plato might say) creepily stalking people outside a bingo hall, plaintively asking them "Where do you live?", but only finding one actual Hillhead voter (who was planning to vote Labour).
  • Options

Seems fairly clear that the Conservatives have slipped from third to fourth. Which means...

*puts on Canadian accent*

It's another terrrr-ible night for the Conservatives.

LOL. Just finished watching Road to Referendum. Great result for the SNP in mid-term. Can't wait for September next year. After the convulsions in Spring next year, which will dwarf autumn 2008, its very much up for grabs. There really will be very little to lose for Scotland by quitting a union that will be morally and economically bust in every sense of the word. And in that light, I think Scotland will break 307 years of union. Without a major economic collapse, it wouldn't be possible ie economic collapse is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for Scotland to vote yes next year.

Good night all.
  • Options
    Curtice : Labour only up 1 or 2% on 2011, not up at all on 2007.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Curtice : Labour only up 1 or 2% on 2011, not up at all on 2007.

it's SNP who is down 15 points compared to 2011

Labour candidate was out of his depth. On the defensive and that's when he could answer a question.

SNP basically run the campaign as they were voting for Aberdeen council elections (run by Lab-Con) which is a sensible idea in mid term (like Labour turning Glenrothes parliamentary elections into a referendum on the SNP led council).

So the outcome is more or less what you could have expected 1 month ago. A reduced majority but nothing threatening.

A better Labour candidate could have gave them more a run for their money trying to turn their table on them. Maybe.

• Options
    "it's SNP who is down 15 points compared to 2011"

What else would you expect in the face of the UKIP surge, Andrea?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That's what a Green activist wrote on another place on 7 May:

"Willie Young is the candidate. Makes me feel like they're not going all out to win."

On May 8th, he started his campaign with this gem
    http://news.stv.tv/north/224503-labours-willie-young-refuses-to-say-party-would-reverse-college-cuts/
  • Options
    Just been reading the Twitter feed from when the Monckton interview was on STV. I'm trying to recover my composure.
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 1m
    When @thesnp got a 9% swing in Inverclyde by-election, Labour said 'the SNP bandwagon had ground to a halt'!
  • Options

"I see the Cybernats are conspicuous by their absence!"

Wrong again, Sunil. I was put at my ease about an hour and a half ago when the sainted Kezia claimed that "anything less than 50%" would be an unmitigated disaster for the SNP.

Labour do seem to be suffering from an ambition deficit in Scotland. As the thread-header points out, this is solid Labour territory at Westminster level, and the SNP are in mid-term. Labour really should be winning.

Oh, hi James! I was just talking about you :)
  • Options
    Result coming now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited June 2013
    SNP hold, LD third quite good for them? UKIP beat the Greens convincingly but lose deposit by 0.2%. Night all
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SNP 41.97
    Lab 33.31
    LD 8.29
    Con 7.66
    UKIP 4.8
    Greens 1.7
    National Front 1
    Christians 0.9
    SDA 0.14

good night
  • Options
    I make it UKIP just lost deposit
  • Options
    Night Andrea. Marginally better for both SNP and Labour than the earlier suggestions. I presume that means UKIP have in fact lost their deposit.
  • Options
    Confirmed that UKIP lost their deposit. The great Scottish breakthrough thwarted again.
  • Options
    Kezia : "We never expected to win tonight".

What?
  • Options
    Richard Lucas ‏@RichardLucas3
    Anas says it's a great result for #SLab, but sounds like his dog just died.
  • Options
    Elizabeth Lloyd ‏@eliz_lloyd
    Labour's psychology - they say they never expected to win tonight. Contrast with @theSNP approach in 07 or Glasgow East.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Forecast: Labour to do relatively badly in Scotland in GE 2015. In a reversal of trend, possible swing to the Tories?

Shadsy: I keep suggesting interesting markets. Where are you? Are you frit?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Stewart Maxwell reveals results of canvassing on independence in Donside constituency -

Yes 34%
    No 29%
  • Options
    Me_Me_ Posts: 66
    Totally O/T - Rio de Janeiro is at war. I mean it...
  • Options
    The now-legendary Monckton interview in its full glory. Watch. Marvel.

http://news.stv.tv/politics/230185-ukips-christopher-monckton-in-alex-salmond-expelled-from-labour-gaffe/
This discussion has been closed.