Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A guessing game: name the royal baby?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A guessing game: name the royal baby?

In around a month, Britain and – at least for the time being – fifteen other states around the world will have a new third-in-line to the throne.  It’s an event for which there are several betting markets, some more practical than others.  As with most markets, correctly predicting the outcome is a combination of luck together with understanding the nature of the event, past form and the partici…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited June 2013
    First!

On-topic: Boris!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited June 2013
    Quincel - replied to you on the last thread - not of enough general interest to repost at the head of this one!

Though personally I'd rather discuss whether an independent Scotland should have AV, as illuminated by a 1973 YouGov subsample, than go anywhere near royal baby naming. We need a new site: www.hellomagazine.betting.com. (No offence, David - I can get it's a betting opportunity.)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Scrapheap would be a great name for bubba.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    My 1000/1 bet is that the royal prince/princess will be named Toddles.
    Where did you get those hats from, Marf?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If it's a boy: Leopold Alexander George Clarence Rupert Louis Daniel Wales-Cambridge-Mountbatten-Windsor

If it's a girl: Victoria Alexandrina Diana Clarissa Miranda Matilda Bernard Cambridge-Wales-Windsor-Mountbatten
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Jeffrey?
  • Options
    If it's a hermaphrodite: Squeak Bumpkinella Frogblast Hector Isabella Ploppy Marmaduke Adelaide Alberta Sydney Virginia Wales-Edinburgh-Cardiff-Belfast-Moonbeam-North-South-East-West
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    After consulting with those in the know, I hear the following names are being closely considered:

Lexie, Genevieve, Teagan, Shannon, Mischa, Tiffany, Nijella, Mercedes, Rebekkah, Tori, Charelene, Bobbi, Baylee, Holly, Dixie, Leah and Paige

And, if a boy,

tim
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Wiglaf for a boy. Brunnhilde for a girl.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,290
    edited June 2013
    One's best hope is to lure one of the Royals into an indescretion. Hereby hangs a tale, which I will tell.

When Cherie was expecting her fourth, her husband the Prime Minister Tony Blair visited Northern Island for the Peace Talks. Whilst waiting to enter a negotiating room one day, he was idly chatting to one of the local dignitaries, who enquired naturally enough about the forthcoming happy event. Blair, who could be remarkably ingenuous in his off duty moments, indicated that all was well and they were looking forward to his birth. 'Oh, it's a boy then?' the dignitary asked as innocently as he knew how. Blair saw no reason for secrecy and confirmed what he had been told. 'And do you have a name in mind?' Again, seeing nothing but natural curiosity in the question, Blair told him they intended to name the lad after TB's father, Leo. 'How nice', the dignitary responded, barely able to conceal his pleasure.

A door opened and the PM headed off into the negotiating room The dignitary waved his farewell and legged it down to nearest betting shop where he piled on at 50/1.

I think it's time we sent Mike Smithson down to the Palace to make enquiries.
  • Options
    @Loony re hermaphrodite LOL!
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Is it the 1st Christian name or just one of them? Regardless of sex the child is likely to have 3-4 of them. I would not be surprised if there is not at least one unexpected name and of course the name used and by which the child becomes known might not be its first name.
  • Options
    But seriously though, George Alexander Louis Charles or Victoria.Diana Elizabeth Alberta
  • Options
    On topic - Derek
    FPT EiT Thanks for the Vanilla tip, I will give it a whirl later.
  • Options
    Seems to be an emerging PB consensus on, shall we say, risque names. I'll go with:

Boy: General Zod
    Girl: Waynetta
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,928
    Diana's sure to be in there somewhere.

If, of course, it's a girl. Be a bit silly otherwise!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,290
    Meanwhile, just when you thought the public might be considering voting Tory in sufficient numbers to return the Party to power again, up pop a couple of their Whackjob MPs to remind voters of the reasons for their reluctance in the past.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/06/beyond-satire-tory-rights-alternative-queens-speech

The proposed ban on burkas is particularly wide of the mark. Better would have been a proposal to make it compulsory for some.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    It will be Elizabeth if it's a girl; George if it's a boy, or maybe James.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Charles Edward Louis Casimir Sylvester Severino Maria Stuart

Just a wild guess ....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Avery

"Lexie, Genevieve, Teagan, Shannon, Mischa, Tiffany, Nijella, Mercedes, Rebekkah, Tori, Charelene, Bobbi, Baylee, Holly, Dixie, Leah and Paige"

I know a Mischa a Mercedes and a Leah. As any of the them might have said 'how sad is that?'

NB. If a decision hasn't yet been made could I put in a word for 'Roger'.

Both a noun and a verb and knowing our Royal Family a name that should give headline writers decades of fun.
  • Options
    Two long shots. Albert, (Bertie) and Arthur.
  • Options
    Neo Bod Pootle Sodoff
  • Options
    Alexander Rapunzel Isambard Sebastian Tarquin Orlando Cornelius Rumpelstiltskin Aristotle Theobald
  • Options
    @Roger

Looks like a list of the nursing staff I've had the pleasure of ....

Er in a most professional capacity I'll have you know Peter the Punter !!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    @Loony: brilliant!

In all seriousness, I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys what the child is called. I just hope that (s)he is born fit and healthy, and both mother and baby are well.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Something to ponder on as you wait for summer to start I suppose. Feels like October here.

Blimey, the names I've taught. Sometimes it's hard to take a register with a straight face.
  • Options
    (OT) I have just finished reading the book "The Nehrus and the Gandhis: An Indian Dynasty" by Tariq Ali. He mentioned in the book that he had met Indira Gandhi, and that she had met the Mahatma, Mohandas K. Gandhi. Then I remembered that I met Tariq Ali (at Paul Foot's funeral).

Which means that I am 3 degrees of separation from Mahatma Gandhi.

But then I remembered that I am only 2 degrees of separation from Mahatma Gandhi: when the film "Gandhi" came out in 1982, we asked one of our elderly neighbours if he had seen "Gandhi". "Not since I locked him up in Poona in 1942," he replied.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    'But then I remembered that I am only 2 degrees of separation from Mahatma Gandhi: when the film "Gandhi" came out in 1982, we asked one of our elderly neighbours if he had seen "Gandhi". "Not since I locked him up in Poona in 1942," he replied.'

Lol.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    I have spent a frustrating half hour looking for the Spitting Image sketch about the naming of Henry.

It had the late Princess Margaret suggesting the names of all the various bottles she was drinking, "It's got to be Gordon" etc. The sketch finished with Diana saying that the child will be called Henry because all of her friends were called Henrys and the Royals shouting "Hooray its Henry".

Would have been on topic if I could have found it. Oh well.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Something to ponder on as you wait for summer to start I suppose. Feels like October here.

Blimey, the names I've taught. Sometimes it's hard to take a register with a straight face.

Always best done with a straight face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43AxOe3bhsw
  • Options
    @David Herdson

A male first born will not carry the title Earl of Strathearn as this is the Scottish title Prince William is known as in Scotland just as the Prince of Wales is known as the Duke of Rothesay.

The Queen has ordered that William and Kates children will be formally known as HRH Prince/Princess Name of Wales.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited June 2013
    I remember that sketch. Imo Spitting Image is a much missed show

EDIT Wasn't it the Queen Mother suggesting the alcohol related names?
    DavidL said:

I have spent a frustrating half hour looking for the Spitting Image sketch about the naming of Henry.

It had the late Princess Margaret suggesting the names of all the various bottles she was drinking, "It's got to be Gordon" etc. The sketch finished with Diana saying that the child will be called Henry because all of her friends were called Henrys and the Royals shouting "Hooray its Henry".

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    ED Miliband will today admit he CANNOT promise to reverse George Osborne’s new £11.5billion cuts.

The Labour leader will warn unions and party activists they have to accept the “hard reality” there is no money left.

The dramatic declaration is Mr Miliband’s latest bid to rebuild Labour’s shattered credibility on the economy.

But he risks a furious backlash from the party’s union paymasters — who have vowed to fight Coalition cutbacks.

Mr Miliband’s speech to Labour’s policy-making body comes as the Chancellor prepares to unveil cuts of £11.5billion in his spending review.

The Opposition leader will say: “We cannot reverse any cut in day-to-day current spending unless it is fully funded from cuts elsewhere or extra revenue.

“So when George Osborne stands up next week and announces his cuts, we won’t be able to promise to reverse them. It’s a hard reality. But I am clear about it and everyone in the Labour Party should be clear about it.”

Earlier this month Mr Miliband dropped his opposition to the Coalition’s £83billion cuts over the past three years.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4979565/Labour-leader-Ed-Miliband-to-admit-Labour-wont-reverse-Coalition-cuts.html#ixzz2Wvp3hK00
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

I remember that sketch. Imo Spitting Image is a much missed show

DavidL said:

I agree. Tory administrations are usually good for some high quality satire. I blame the Liberal Democrats. They are simply beyond it.

• Options
    James might be worth a few pennies.

Thus James VIII .... or James IX for those with Jacobite sympathies.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    edited June 2013
    I reckon it could be one of several of the top 10 most popular boy's names in England & Wales - but probably none of the girls:

http://www.mumsnet.com/baby-names/most-popular-baby-names-england-wales

Edit - and none of the top 10 from the US:

http://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-2012
  • Options
    JackW said:

James might be worth a few pennies.

Or Kelly if it's a girl.

Might stop the Royals being accused of endorsing the Unionist cause.

• Options
    @CarlottaVance

HRH Prince Mohamded of Wales might just carry a few column inches with it
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Philip - after the best royal ever.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So Labour to match Con spending. What is the point of rEd ?

Vote rEd same as before but no referendum.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2013
    @Pulpstar FPT

I may sound very naive here, but what does Mr Blair tell JP Morgan thats worth them paying him £2.5m a year ?

It's not his advice, it's his star dust.

I remember talking to a client a few years ago after JP had a board meeting in Brazil.

They threw a big party for about 400 clients - Tony Blair and Jamie Dimon were at the door, greeting each of them by name (they had very good briefers behind them with ear pieces!) and chatting for a couple of sentences about their business.

The clients absolutely loved it.

(And I am sure the more important clients got dinners or real face time with Blair not just a party invite)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013
    I find this rather refreshing even if many will take the pee and miss the urinal in the process. That the SoS is getting stuck in at the ground floor level is just the sort of Back-to-the-Floor attitude missing from so many organisations.

" I almost don’t recognise Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt when I meet him in A&E at University College Hospital in London because he is wearing not a suit and tie, but an open-neck blue stripy uniform top with a plastic name tag dangling from his top pocket. “Jeremy,” he says, reading it to me. “Trainee nursing assistant.” Then he adds: “Worn with pride!”

I don’t want to scare you but, if you go to hospital or the doctor, especially on a Thursday, there is a chance you will meet “Jeremy”. That is the Health Secretary’s day for doing NHS work experience. He’s made beds, answered phones, observed operating theatres (no jokes about “cuts”, please) and even, apparently, visited mortuaries. On this particular day, he’s manning the front desk at A&E.

“I was unleashed on patients,” he notes. “I was behind the desk. So when they came in, the first person they saw was me.”

Lucky them, I think. Hunt explains how it was his task to start a “book” for every patient. Afterwards, he held a round-table with top doctors and matrons (paperwork and how to control it is a major topic). Then “Jeremy” disappears for a moment, reappearing in full Health Secretary suit mode with, I note, an NHS badge on his lapel... http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article3793312.ece
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hadn't given much thought to Queen Mary's husband Philip of Spain but heck why not ?

@AveryLP

LOL.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Good morning, everyone.

Maybe with the rehabilitation/revisionism of Richard III the name could make a comeback. David and Victoria should be out.
  • Options
    What if the baby is born on Princess Diana's birthday (1st July)?
    Spencer / Diana

What if the baby is born on the day that Nelson Mandela dies?
    Nelson / Rolihlahla

What if Daddy has to do a mad dash from Anglesey to London in his helicopter to get there in time for the birth?
    Helix / Helicoptrix

What if they want to cement Commonwealth ties by choosing one place name from each of the 16 countries of which he/she will be King/Queen?

United Kingdom: Montgomery / Anglia
    Canada: Edmonton / Alberta
    Australia: Sydney / Adelaide
    New Zealand: Wellington / Rotorua
    Jamaica: Kingston / Mona
    Barbados: Hampton / Sandy
    Bahamas: Carmichael / Adelaide
    Grenada: Blaize / Levera
    Papua New Guinea: Fairfax / Popondetta
    Solomon Islands: Solomon / Isabel
    Tuvalu: Vaiaku / Fongafale
    Saint Lucia: Rodney / Floissac
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines: Pembroke / Mesopotamia
    Belize: Corozal / Dangriga
    Antigua and Barbuda: Willoughby / Penguin
    Saint Kitts and Nevis: Charleston / Brimstone

• Options
    JackW said:

@CarlottaVance

HRH Prince Mohamded of Wales might just carry a few column inches with it

Interestingly the UK counts separately the two different spellings of Mohammed (19) and Muhammed (22) - in the US they combine scores for eg Sofia and Sophia - I wonder how much further up the chart Mo(u)hammed would have come?
  • Options
    Miss Vance, there are bloody tons of alternative spellings of Mohammed, I think. Mehmet is probably the most extreme variation that might be considered the same name.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The husband of the Vice Chair of Broxtowe CLP (actually he's also a Cllr but I prefer the contort description) is running against Nick.

http://votegregmarshall.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/gregmarshall-for-broxtowe_debate.pdf

We should organize to move forces around.
  • Options
    P.S. Someone on Twitter has just pointed out to me that Tony Benn met M.K. Gandhi in 1931, so I am connected to him by 2 degrees of separation in more than one direction.
  • Options
    (OT) It is worth being slightly intellectual by reminding oneself that the word "helicopter" is not made of "heli" and "copter", but of "helico-" and "-pter".
  • Options
    If one is feeling Greco-Classical: Pterry or Ptricia
  • Options
    JohnWheatleyJohnWheatley Posts: 140
    Roger said:

Avery

"Lexie, Genevieve, Teagan, Shannon, Mischa, Tiffany, Nijella, Mercedes, Rebekkah, Tori, Charelene, Bobbi, Baylee, Holly, Dixie, Leah and Paige"

I know a Mischa a Mercedes and a Leah. As any of the them might have said 'how sad is that?'

NB. If a decision hasn't yet been made could I put in a word for 'Roger'.

Both a noun and a verb and knowing our Royal Family a name that should give headline writers decades of fun.

Big giggle at that - given recent history.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    @Andrea

He's rather too left-wing for me. Behold the revival of Tories for Palmer.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    O/T Global climate

The warm theme continues - May 2013 was the third warmest May ever recorded (records stretch back to 1880).

AGW sceptics (including a few on here) will of course brush the warming aside...

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/5
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969

The husband of the Vice Chair of Broxtowe CLP (actually he's also a Cllr but I prefer the contort description) is running against Nick.

http://votegregmarshall.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/gregmarshall-for-broxtowe_debate.pdf

We should organize to move forces around.

Sounds like an 80s throwback. I'd hope that Nick shouldn't have too much trouble in seeing him off.
  • Options
    He's part of Cllrs Against the Cuts
    JohnO said:

@Andrea

He's rather too left-wing for me. Behold the revival of Tories for Palmer.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Zerubbabel, Prince of the People.
  • Options
    @Andrea

So it comes down to Cuts vs. Cats.

All PB knows the winner here.

• Options
    Councillors against the Cuts?

Oh dearie, dearie, me. A Dave Spart of the East Midlands. Er, basically, it's, er, a crisis of capitalism....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Should Philip be chosen then eventually the child would succeed as King Philip II as Philip of Spain was King of England during Mary's reign not just as consort - a fact not often noted in the chronology of English monarchs.

• Options
    murali_s said:

The warm theme continues

Does "the warm theme" include "the coldest Spring in 50 years"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22718944
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@Andrea

So it comes down to Cuts vs. Cats.

All PB knows the winner here.

Ask Badger Boy......

• Options
    Tonight there's the final of Arab Idol.

The Palestinian guy is the supposed favourite, or at least the most talked about in Western media. He's facing 2 singers from Egypt in the final (a man and a blonde woman)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23012803#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    Mr. Loony, is that 'pter' as in 'pterodactyl'?
  • Options
    JackW said:

@David Herdson

A male first born will not carry the title Earl of Strathearn as this is the Scottish title Prince William is known as in Scotland just as the Prince of Wales is known as the Duke of Rothesay.

The Queen has ordered that William and Kates children will be formally known as HRH Prince/Princess Name of Wales.

For one brief, rather horrible, moment I read that as Streatham!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Since the weather is so delightfully wet, I thought I'd try watching the X-Files from the beginning...that's 10 series worth.

Is it as good as the hype/cult viewers thought? I can't believe its so old - the pilot is dated 1993!
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Should Philip be chosen then eventually the child would succeed as King Philip II as Philip of Spain was King of England during Mary's reign not just as consort - a fact not often noted in the chronology of English monarchs.

Not, presumably, in Scotland, though!

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Mohammed or Nigel for a boy. Destiny, Kayleigh or princess for a girl (Just for the Princess Princess gags)

I think Peter Bone and Philip Hollobone should sponsor a bill that all royal babies to be called Margaret until further notice. Especially the boys.
  • Options
    Sherwood CLP have some barely 18 (ok, he is probably in his early 20s) people seeking the nomination...
    http://www.lachlanmorrison.org.uk/
  • Options
    Mentioned this before, but it's very on-topic. Apparently Cromwell's successor (a son named Richard) was so rubbish that during his brief 'reign' he acquired the nickname Queen Dick.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I think Peter Bone and Philip Hollobone should sponsor a bill that all royal babies to be called Margaret until further notice. Especially the boys.

LOL
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I'd like to see Richard rehabilitated. Nothing wrong with Richards I and II, and Richard III's reputation is the subject of some debate. (Probably a mixture of both views would be closest to the truth.)

Also, Jack, I think we'd go with Philip I, strictly correct or not.
  • Options

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Not, presumably, in Scotland, though!
    And just as the universe was running short of things for the Nats to complain about.....

• Options
    Isn't the regnal number dictated by whichever (Scotland or England) is higher?
  • Options
    Very worried about the Lions front row and the line out.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    I think the Royal Baby should be called Sue Neil :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Come on, Indi... I mean England!!! (oops!)

:)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,473
    FPT:

New spreadsheet ranking UKIP's local election vote share by division/ward:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dFZZaXFjaVVfd1k1Sl8wa2ZMMXYydmc#gid=0
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato said:

Since the weather is so delightfully wet, I thought I'd try watching the X-Files from the beginning...that's 10 series worth.

Is it as good as the hype/cult viewers thought? I can't believe its so old - the pilot is dated 1993!

Nice sunshine here and quite warm with a southerly wind.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969

Come on, Indi... I mean England!!! (oops!)

:)

Careful! You don't want to get the wrong side of Norman.

• Options
    Financier said:

Plato said:

And here:

Easterly 3 or 4, backing northerly 5 to 7. Slight or moderate, becoming rough. Occasional rain, fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    SO,

I suspect Corbisiero will cope - I'm more worried about the NZ ref.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Plato said:

It's drying up now but it was throwing it down sideways earlier - mild but dull and breezy. I've just had a pair of crows set up nest in the trees outside my window and they're bloody noisy. Never had them in all the years I've lived here. I don't think I've ever seen a baby crow...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Andy_JS

I've tried to email you a few times recently and the emails get bounced back.

Can you let me have at mike at politicalbetting dot com an emal address that I can use.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @OldKingCole

The higher regnal number is used.

Thus next Richard IV from England and James VIII from Scotland.

@Grandiose

Precedence would determine Philip II just as William IV eventually followed the joint reign of Dutch William III and English Mary II.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

SO,

I suspect Corbisiero will cope - I'm more worried about the NZ ref.

That's half my point. The England front row got mangled by a Kiwi ref in Cardiff, as well as by the Welsh.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Isn't the regnal number dictated by whichever (Scotland or England) is higher?

Some Scots weren't happy about Elizabeth II - which caused Cunard decades of obfuscation when HM QE II ad-libbed on the day and added "the second" to the name she was supposed to have given the ship "Queen Elizabeth". Well if your gran and your mum have named ships after themselves - and they only Queens consort, why shouldn't a Queen regnant do so too?

Cunard, in an attempt to pacify (already late) Scots unions on Clydebank made up some nonsense about QE2 being named after the first "Queen Elizabeth" ship - and trapped by their own logic (and to capitalise on the fame of QE2) three and a half decades later had to name the second Queen Mary "Queen Mary Two".

Four decades on Cunard finally fessed up and named their latest ship, "Queen Elizabeth", without any spurious suffixes.....but it was built in Italy, so no fears about what Scots ship builders might fret about...

• Options
    @MikeSmithson

My Yahoo email address has stopped working, sorry about that. I've been frantically trying to get it back online but I don't think it's going to happen. I've started a new email account with Gmail.
  • Options

murali_s said:

The warm theme continues

Does "the warm theme" include "the coldest Spring in 50 years"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22718944
    Natural variation in climate - no-one said has claimed that there won't be cold spells in a warmer world - though it's quite likely the frequency of such events may decline. Anyway, did you know that globally the Spring was one of the warmest ever? Focus on the picture picture please...

Anyway, as ever, the trend is your friend - just check out the 30-year climate averages for the Cenral England Temperature (CET) - the 1981-2010 averages are warmer than the 1971-2000 avearges which are in turn warmer than the 1961-1990 averages - that should tell us something...

• Options
    Labour's highest share was in Northumberland/College where they polled 90.7%. Their lowest was in Elmbridge/West Molesey where they received 2.1%:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDZOamVtV0c1NGxVekhhaEwxVkF6LWc#gid=0
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

The warm theme continues

Does "the warm theme" include "the coldest Spring in 50 years"?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22718944
    Natural variation in climate
    Which doesn't include the "warmest May"?

So

"warm months" = further proof of AGW
    "Cold months" = natural variation in climate.

Got it!

Thanks.
  • Options
    Wow!
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    As our Prime Minister has a problem with a kaleidoscope Royal Family, maybe Surinder?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Labour's highest share was in Northumberland/College where they polled 90.7%. Their lowest was in Elmbridge/West Molesey where they received 2.1%:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDZOamVtV0c1NGxVekhhaEwxVkF6LWc#gid=0

Elmbridge is indeed THE champion Borough. Send for tim, newly appointed court correspondent of the Hersham Bugle, he should easily push that vote up to 2.5%
  • Options
    We're looking a little ragged here.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

@OldKingCole

The higher regnal number is used.

Thus next Richard IV from England and James VIII from Scotland.

@Grandiose

Precedence would determine Philip II just as William IV eventually followed the joint reign of Dutch William III and English Mary II.

I'm pretty certain James I was known as James I & VI, not just James VI.

Similarly you had James II, albeit briefly.

What's the precedent for using the higher regnal number?
  • Options
    Yeeeeeesssss!

North.

Sensational!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

The warm theme continues

Does "the warm theme" include "the coldest Spring in 50 years"?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22718944
    Natural variation in climate
    Which doesn't include the "warmest May"?

So

"warm months" = further proof of AGW
    "Cold months" = natural variation in climate.

Got it!

Thanks.
    Your point would be valid if there was a balance of warm and cold months, but the frequency of warm months (or record highs) outweigh the frequency of cold months (or record lows). Attached is analysis for the US, but a smiliar pattern exists globally.

http://disinfo.com/2013/01/demonstrating-the-explosion-of-daily-record-highs-easy-as-pie/

This discussion has been closed.