Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Methinks that George should have put economics before the p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Methinks that George should have put economics before the politics

The thing that struck me most about Osborne’s spending review statement was how little it had to do with the economics and how much it was about setting the political backcloth for GE2015.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348921/More-100-000-dole-claimants-warned-lose-benefits-refuse-learn-English-level-9-year-old.html

looks like you are right, Mike, if the gleeful comments at the bottom of this are correct....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    An excellent post Mike.

If Labour has bought into Osborne's demonisation of those who have just been made unemployed in order to avoid being on what they consider to be the wrong side of a notional dividing line, then shame on them. I hope that is not the case, but would not be surprised if it is.

Politics does not have to be like this. But when you have the treasurer of the JCR debating with his predecessor, undergraduate politicking is what you tend to get. It's all very depressing.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    I have to say it seems to have gone down like a fart in a lift with everyone I have read blog on it(including Conhome). It was more to do with dog whistling than actual economics. Not that Gideon can do economics.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Does anyone know where the DCMS budget cuts are being made?

BBC says DCMS cut 35% from 2010 to 2014/15 and then another 15% in 2015/16 (see link).

Yet big chunk is funding free TV licences for over 75s (not cut one single penny) and cuts to arts organisations seem very modest indeed.

So how on earth is DCMS making cuts of a total of approx 50% over this 6 year period?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23065106
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

I have to say it seems to have gone down like a fart in a lift with everyone I have read blog on it(including Conhome). It was more to do with dog whistling than actual economics. Not that Gideon can do economics.

The whole exercise was one long dog whistle. That was the whole point of it. Osborne wanted to make Ed Balls uncomfortable. The economy was very much a secondary consideration. Oh to have a few grown-ups in charge.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    "attacks on Labour’s and Ed Balls’s record which we’ve heard so many times before that they are starting to lose their potency"

Not if you believe YouGov's 'who is to blame for the cuts' - its been pretty flat - and firmly Labour - for two years now......at the last year's rate of change the parties will cross over ±2022........
  • Options
    taffys said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348921/More-100-000-dole-claimants-warned-lose-benefits-refuse-learn-English-level-9-year-old.html

looks like you are right, Mike, if the gleeful comments at the bottom of this are correct....

I think it would be fair to say the comments are broadly supportive of the Chancellor....who, if the more excitable posters were to be believed, had been hounded from office because of the 'Huge Backlash' over the spare room subsidy...yet mysteriously is still there.....But Labour ARE going to reverse it, aren't they.......?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    MikeL said:

Does anyone know where the DCMS budget cuts are being made?

BBC says DCMS cut 35% from 2010 to 2014/15 and then another 15% in 2015/16 (see link).

Yet big chunk is funding free TV licences for over 75s (not cut one single penny) and cuts to arts organisations seem very modest indeed.

So how on earth is DCMS making cuts of a total of approx 50% over this 6 year period?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23065106

And the grant of a free TV licence to me was adminstered very efficiently earlier this year. Including a repayment for the amount I'd already paid. (TV licence due in February, so I paid. Qualifying birthday in May, so, after notification, they paid me the amount I'd overpaid within a couple of days!)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    We face a pretty damn serious situation as a country, borrowing vast sums of money by having the Bank of England print the stuff for us, and Osborne turns up with a policy designed to fit a soundbite for one news cycle.

It's no comfort that Ed Balls will be even worse if he ever becomes Chancellor. That just means the chances of ever having a grown-up in charge are as remote as seant going a week without insulting someone.
  • Options
    Politics does not have to be like this.

Surely, all it would take for politics 'not to be like this' would be for labour to say they will immediately reinstate certain benefits if they get into office.

Why don;t they?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Thread misses the point - GO and DC banging on about the need for austerity has changed the voters minds over last 3 years from it being "frightful" to "required".

He is totally right to keep banging on about the wreck Labour left - voter support is required in 2015 to complete the job.

OGH really means : "I don't like being coalition with the Cons - and am dreading 5 more years".

In my opinion of course.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    @ OGH

good summary. The problem the UK faces is we have had political CoEs since 1997 and we really need a reforming one. 16 years of the economy second and it shows.
  • Options
    If you missed it earlier - here's the statement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS6JDXpvxM&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    It is helpful for a Government to set out its plans three years ahead. It helps provide more medium term certainty, particularly if the main opposition say they'll broadly follow.

The way the plans have been put across by Danny Alexander will also help settle nerves within the Lib Dems, as will the emphasis on capital spending. This pulls Alexander (and Clegg) back from being seen to have done a deal on spending for the whole of the next Parliament.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Politics does not have to be like this.

Surely, all it would take for politics 'not to be like this' would be for labour to say they will immediately reinstate certain benefits if they get into office.

Why don;t they?

This isn't really a matter of Labour vs Tory. There's little difference between them in terms of infantile point-scoring.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @tim - and you'd be better looking at 'who's to blame for the cuts' from YouGov....
  • Options
    How do we know that there are more than 100,00 foreigners currently on JSA who cannot speak English to the level of a nine year old?
  • Options
    But Labour ARE going to reverse it, aren't they.......?

That's what mystifies me about labour's critique. They portray the government as victorian mill owners yet want to keep most of the measures they are bringing in.

How can they revile people and agree with their policies at the same time? its absurd.
  • Options
    Full text of statement - including the cheeky Waterloo bit:

"And while we’re at it, we’ll make sure the site of the Battle of Waterloo is restored in time for the 200th anniversary, to commemorate those who died there and to celebrate a great victory of coalition forces over a discredited former regime that had impoverished millions."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/george-osbornes-spending-round-2013-speech/
  • Options
    There's little difference between them in terms of infantile point-scoring.

Agreed, so why do labour pretend there is? They aren't the the poor oppressed masses in mufflers and hobnail boots, and the tories aren't a bunch of Mr Bounderby mill owners.
  • Options
    tim said:

How do we know that there are more than 100,00 foreigners currently on JSA who cannot speak English to the level of a nine year old?

The Daily Mail made that up.

How many primarily Welsh and Gaelic speakers will be affected?
  • Options
    tim said:

The Daily Mail made that up.

Whoever would have thought it?

It will be interesting to know how this is going to work. Will all JSA applicants now have to do a written and spoken English test? If not, it will look very discriminatory and the EU will get involved. That may well be the point, of course.

• Options

"And while we’re at it, we’ll make sure the site of the Battle of Waterloo is restored in time for the 200th anniversary, to commemorate those who died there and to celebrate a great victory of coalition forces over a discredited former regime that had impoverished millions."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/george-osbornes-spending-round-2013-speech/

He didn't seriously say that did he? Christ that is pathetic.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ynys Mon Welsh Assembly by election date announced August 1st
  • Options

Almost as pathetic as the outrage from the left on the comment. Its a silly little joke, no more, no less.

• Options
    tim said:

@tim - and you'd be better looking at 'who's to blame for the cuts' from YouGov....

There haven't been any cuts.
    That's not Labour's line - or is another U-turn in the offing?

• Options
    taffys said:

But Labour ARE going to reverse it, aren't they.......?

That's what mystifies me about labour's critique. They portray the government as victorian mill owners yet want to keep most of the measures they are bringing in.

How can they revile people and agree with their policies at the same time? its absurd.

There are Labour politicians and Labour people, and the two are not the same.

Reminds me of the farcical discussion I had on the doorstep with a Labour canvasser before the 2005 general election. I gave him both barrels about PFI, Iraq, etc, and the poor chap could only agree with me, but argued that "at least it wasn't the Tories".
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    "Firstly there was no need to have a statement at all at this stage. It could have waited at least a year"

So major cuts should have been sprung on departments only 9-12 months before they had to be implemented? That doesn't seem very economically sensible.

Also a spending review less than a year before an election and in a coalition government would have dissolved into a dogfight.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Actually the politician that Osbo most reminds me of is Harold Wilson - all gimmicks and no strategy.

• Options

Wasn't that when some sort of German army pulled our chestnuts out the fire?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Again Twitter reveals Labour's problem. 4 days after Ed said "we will match Tory cuts" Labour MPs fan out to attack Tory cuts
  • Options

Almost as pathetic as the outrage from the left on the comment. Its a silly little joke, no more, no less.

Who is outraged? It is just pathetic. No point in getting outraged over Osborne being all undergraduate, is there? It's what he does. And if it cheers up a few right wing inadequates along the way, so be it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The shocking bit of this chart is the third column from the right:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/349926978125713408/photo/1

Protecting the second richest quintile the most is indefensible (and has only been done because that's where journalists in the main sit).
  • Options

Who is outraged? It is just pathetic.
    Tell Labour List 'Osborne compared Labour to a mass murderer'......

• Options
    Mike. you support a party for whom everything is political. I would hate to accuse our benign host of being hypocritical, so I will merely suggest that age is creeping up on your memory.
  • Options

Wellington's army was about one third british, the rest were dutch or german.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

There haven't been any cuts.
    That's not Labour's line - or is another U-turn in the offing?

Cuts makes Osborne appear competent, which he clearly hasn't been.
    You chaps really need to get your message straight:

Balls in HoC:

"More cuts to the police, more cuts to our defence budgets, more cuts to our local services."
  • Options

Well, anything that compliments the Germans & the Dutch & pisses off the French can't be all bad.....

• Options

Actually the politician that Osbo most reminds me of is Harold Wilson - all gimmicks and no strategy.

Harold Wilson

a) Was ultimately responsible for setting up the OU (I know it wasn't his idea)

b) Kept us out of the Vietnam War, although he and Johnson (in particular) saw eye to eye on many things.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

You chaps really need to get your message straight:

The Labour message is simple.

The cuts, which have not happened, have been cruel and unusual, and we will keep all of them.

The borrowing, which is too high, will be increased.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Well, anything that compliments the Germans & the Dutch & pisses off the French can't be all bad.....

Wasn't the battle won on the playing fields of Eton?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Protecting the second richest quintile the most is indefensible (and has only been done because that's where journalists in the main sit).

Danny Alexander's defence on the DP Special was that this equates spending with outcomes - if the spending cuts have not fed through to front line services, (the greatest impact on the lower quintiles), then its not as bad as it looks. However, it does nail Labour's lie about the richest paying less tax - they are the only ones to pay more tax.....

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

I thought it consisted of Sharpe and co and a few hangers on :-)
  • Options

Be careful what you wish for - the old fraud 'white heat of this revolution' won three elections.....

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    So, if you are from an EEA country and do not speak English, if you come here you get a subsistence allowance, plus HB costs and free tuition to learn one of the most popular second languages in the world?

What is Polish for "Learn English for free and get paid for it"?
    taffys said:

• Options

antifrank said:

Danny Alexander's defence on the DP Special was that this equates spending with outcomes - if the spending cuts have not fed through to front line services, (the greatest impact on the lower quintiles), then its not as bad as it looks. However, it does nail Labour's lie about the richest paying less tax - they are the only ones to pay more tax.....
    I think if you strip out the public spending part of that chart then the basic shape stays the same - the 2nd richest quintile have done best, while only the richest quintile have done worse than the poorest quintile.

Indeed, the 2nd richest quintile have gained more in tax cuts than they have lost from cuts in tax credits and benefits. This is incongruous at a time of supposed austerity.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    "But does politics have to be like this?"

My thoughts exactly. Thought we had passed a milestone with the Sesame St and Rainbow gags today. A good gag is great, but sometimes we need gravitas. Today was one of those occasions and nowhere was it to be seen on the front benches.

When Darling and Tyrie spoke it was a relief.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Highly gifted intelligent individuals bore easily. They often need to be set multiple challenges to keep up their motivation.

Most politicians faced with the Herculean task of cleaning up the economic mess left by Labour would have been content to announce their results to Parliament quietly. The plaudits of party and public alike would have been sufficient reward.

Not so for Danny Alexander. The Comprehensive Spending Review was all his own work, but announcing it to the House was simply not enough to keep him interested.

This is why he and George conspired to swap roles this week, so each could take on the additional challenge of knocking out their political opponents.

It might all seem a little odd to us mere mortals but it has served the important task of keeping the twin geniuses of the Treasury fully occupied.

Let us not complain. Just relax and enjoy the show.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

I thought it consisted of Sharpe and co and a few hangers on :-)
    lol

I guess that was about the size of the english contingent, most of the brits were irish or scots.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I think if you strip out the public spending part of that chart then the basic shape stays the same - the 2nd richest quintile have done best, while only the richest quintile have done worse than the poorest quintile.

Indeed, the 2nd richest quintile have gained more in tax cuts than they have lost from cuts in tax credits and benefits. This is incongruous at a time of supposed austerity.
    And not that you would guess it from the squealing. The poor lambs have to pay for their children's piano lessons now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Ps Contrasted with the Australian shenanigans. Despite the chaos, either Gillard or Rudd cut a more substantial figure.

Utter tragedy for the ALP that these two could not make it work together.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hilarious to see this lefty gnashing of teeth at the awful politicisation of a speech in the HoC.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Can't pretend to have paid full attention but i'd have thought the seven day thing would have gone down very badly but maybe outweighed by the language thing as printing forms in dozens of languages is such an obvious waste of money and has been annoying people for years.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A bit of wry humour perhaps - and certainly no worse that George, Jeffrey and Bungle...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Jonathan - True, the events in Oz today were extraordinary, to put it into a UK context it was like Ted Heath ousting Maggie Thatcher as PM after she had ousted him in 1975. The election will now move from a certain Coalition landslide to a tight race, the last poll had it 50-50 for a Rudd ALP v Abbott's Coalition.
  • Options
    Quite by coincidence, one of my Hungarian friends spontaneously brought up at the weekend that she thought it was bizarre that anyone would move to a country and not learn the language, and that if anyone was to expect any state help, they should have to learn the language. And she was talking about Britain rather than Hungary.
  • Options

No - Wellington hated his time at Eton & there weren't any playing fields there at the time anyway.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited June 2013
    Of course there was no need to have a statement at all at this stage. Osborne could have done what previous governments have done and left everything to the last possible moment, thus making it impossible for departments to plan properly. The result of that would be the usual inefficient panic cuts (and/or inefficient panic spending as departments discover they've got a bit more in their budget than they'd expected). Politicians are universally accused of being too short-term, and now Osborne is being attacked for not being short-term enough.

As for the politics, of course this matters too. Labour have been getting away with murder, and the election is less than two years away. Voters need to start thinking about real choices, not burying their heads in the sand and pretending those nasty cuts are going to go away. Osborne has very successfully got the two Eds to admit that their position of paying lip-service to financial sanity, whilst opposing virtually every measure required to achieve it, is ludicrous. (In fact, if anything, they've now gone absurdly far in the opposite direction - rushing to embrace every cut Osborne mentions, in full and with indecent haste. It took just three and a half hours for them to accept the 7-day delay on unemployment benefits). As a result, we can now move the debate onto talking about reality, not fairy-dust. That's not like Gordon Brown - who famously flunked a spending review when things got tough - at all.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Any new Aussie poll ?
  • Options
    Fact Check reads a bit much into Osborne's statement on English lessons and criticises Osborne for an inference it draws itself:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-osbornes-english-lessons-are-no-threat/13776?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"By threatening to take away the benefits of anyone refusing to learn English, George Osborne inferred that there are a slew of people out there who don’t want to speak English, but are happy to live off benefits."

(and gets implied vs inferred wrong too....)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Godfrey Bloom ‏@Goddersukip 30m

Is it cos Osborne's in charge of Treasury and Tory election machine that he can't do sums? And they wonder why UKIP's on the rise
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Congrats to our British Tennis ace Andy Murray, through to the Third Round after beating Lu of Taiwan in straight sets!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Surbiton - It is about 4am in OZ, so clearly not! Here are the last Nielsen numbers a week ago with Rudd figures

The latest Nielsen poll, conducted for Fairfax from a sample of 1400, has the Coalition’s lead blowing out to 57-43 after a relatively mild 54-46 last month. The primary votes are 29% for Labor (down three) and 47% for the Coalition (up three). That becomes 50-50 under a Kevin Rudd leadership scenario, with primary votes of 40% for Labor and 42% for the Coalition. The poll also finds Julia Gillard crashing on preferred prime minister from 46-46 to 50-41 in Tony Abbott’s favour.
  • Options

...Voters need to start thinking about real choices, not burying their heads in the sand and pretending those nasty cuts are going to go away...

Delaying JSA claims by a week is a real choice?

It looks like a great big distraction from the real choices.

Osborne doesn't want people to talk about the real choices, the tens of billions of pounds of real choices. He wants to distract them with gimmicks. Very much like Brown.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Charles said:

No - Wellington hated his time at Eton & there weren't any playing fields there at the time anyway.
    Well there were certainly fields on which games were played.

They are referred to in Thomas Gray's poem "Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College" written in 1742.

Here is the relevant verse:

Say, Father Thames, for thou hast seen
    Full many a sprightly race
    Disporting on thy margent green
    The paths of pleasure trace,
    Who foremost now delight to cleave
    With pliant arm thy glassy wave?
    The captive linnet which enthrall?
    What idle progeny succeed
    To chase the rolling circle's speed,
    Or urge the flying ball?

Scholars have argued whether Gray was recounting from memory of his own time at Eton or whether he had derived his poetic scene from a contemporary painting.

Phelps for example glossed the last line as "Referring to school sports: swimming, bird-snaring, hoop-rolling, and trap-ball. Bentley's Print is my authority for swimming instead of rowing, and for trap-ball instead of cricket."

The poem is of course most familiar for its final couplet:

...where ignorance is bliss.
    'tis folly to be wise.

• Options
    Andy JS - Last thread, the difference between Major in '97 and Brown in '10 and Gillard in '13 was that Kevin Rudd was neck and neck in the polls with Abbott, whereas there were no polls showing Heseltine and Portillo similarly neck and neck with Blair, or D Miliband and Johnson neck and neck with Cameron!
  • Options
    Still can't understand why Osborne hasn't banned sardine imports.
  • Options
    Does anyone know which part of the budget our 18 BILLION GBP per annum contribution to the EU comes under?
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

Sure you aren't confusing it with Long Eaton, on the Derbyshire-Berkshire border.
    Where the famous Longbowmen at Agincourt came from?
    No. But I thought a lot of the longbowmen at Agincourt were Welsh.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

...Voters need to start thinking about real choices, not burying their heads in the sand and pretending those nasty cuts are going to go away...

Osborne doesn't want people to talk about the real choices, the tens of billions of pounds of real choices. He wants to distract them with gimmicks. Very much like Brown.
    Well, if you choose to look at just one minor measure out of a huge package, then of course it looks like a gimmick.

What he has done is planned for an annual saving of £11.5 bn in one year, on top of all the other savings already made, and detailed exactly where that saving comes from. Where's the gimmick in that? It's real money.

Anyone who thinks he's got it wrong can propose a different set of measures, or a different total. The silence, though, is deafening, except from those who want him to cut more.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    This Stakhovsky fellow's playing well against Federer.
  • Options

Still can't understand why Osborne hasn't banned sardine imports.

Only Ed is brave enough to do that...

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    If any Chancellor made a cold and purely truthful economic statement he'd be voted out of political office by the morning.

Telling the truth about the state of the finances and making policy to fit would lead to revolt.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Of course there was no need to have a statement at all at this stage. Osborne could have done what previous governments have done and left everything to the last possible moment, thus making it impossible for departments to plan properly. The result of that would be the usual inefficient panic cuts (and/or inefficient panic spending as departments discover they've got a bit more in their budget than they'd expected). Politicians are universally accused of being too short-term, and now Osborne is being attacked for not being short-term enough.

As for the politics, of course this matters too. Labour have been getting away with murder, and the election is less than two years away. Voters need to start thinking about real choices, not burying their heads in the sand and pretending those nasty cuts are going to go away. Osborne has very successfully got the two Eds to admit that their position of paying lip-service to financial sanity, whilst opposing virtually every measure required to achieve it, is ludicrous. (In fact, if anything, they've now gone absurdly far in the opposite direction - rushing to embrace every cut Osborne mentions, in full and with indecent haste. It took just three and a half hours for them to accept the 7-day delay on unemployment benefits). As a result, we can now move the debate onto talking about reality, not fairy-dust. That's not like Gordon Brown - who famously flunked a spending review when things got tough - at all.

Well done for mentioning Brown's famously non-political spending review. The really important one in 2009 when we were in the midst of the deep stuff. The one he avoided making at all.

One big difference between the political Osborne and the political Brown is that Osborne has the guts to get up there and give one.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan - True, the events in Oz today were extraordinary, to put it into a UK context it was like Ted Heath ousting Maggie Thatcher as PM after she had ousted him in 1975. The election will now move from a certain Coalition landslide to a tight race, the last poll had it 50-50 for a Rudd ALP v Abbott's Coalition.

I don't think it would be 50-50 in the first poll. But Labor will bounce back big time in Q'land. In Victoria, they weren't doing too badly compared to 2010 - so actually might do better.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @HYUFD

Good to see you about - I thought of your tip to back Labor as this mornings events were transpiring. Great entertainment!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

Michael Savage ‏@michaelsavage
    So £5bn out of £11.5bn coming from "efficiency savings". Sounds heroic. Difficult to check. #SR2013

They've already achieved more savings in departmental spending than they said they would in 2010, so not really very heroic. And they've got plenty of time to figure out how to do it, now they know their departmental budgets up to April 2016.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Fact Check reads a bit much into Osborne's statement on English lessons and criticises Osborne for an inference it draws itself:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-osbornes-english-lessons-are-no-threat/13776?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"By threatening to take away the benefits of anyone refusing to learn English, George Osborne inferred that there are a slew of people out there who don’t want to speak English, but are happy to live off benefits."

(and gets implied vs inferred wrong too....)

I can see the language thing saving money in the long-term by reducing the demand for translators, printing forms in different languages etc but not sure what the short-term effect would be.

I think (for anecdotal reasons) most of the people effected will be in a few particular categories and i don't don't think language lessons would stop them claiming as long as it's only a few hours a week.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    A good post Mike, and you are spot on.

The difference is that Brown, on top of his game, was infuriatingly good at this sort of nonsense.

Osbrowne (don't mind do you, Mr Pork?) has always been rubbish. An IHT / non-election one-hit-wonder, who for some reason thinks he's a genius.

I'd be tempted to say he should stick to running the economy, but he's an even worse Chancellor than strategist.
  • Options
    tim said:

Well, if you choose to look at just one minor measure out of a huge package, then of course it looks like a gimmick.

What he has done is planned for an annual saving of £11.5 bn in one year, on top of all the other savings already made, and detailed exactly where that saving comes from.

So £5bn out of £11.5bn coming from "efficiency savings". Sounds heroic. Difficult to check. #SR2013
    Basically, bollocks ! 3 years talk of austerity and all the cuts will be in the next Parliament.

Apparently, it is an elephant trap ! Such a trap that it is visible from outer space !
  • Options
    carl said:

A good post Mike, and you are spot on.

The difference is that Brown, on top of his game, was infuriatingly good at this sort of nonsense.

Osbrowne (don't mind do you, Mr Pork?) has always been rubbish. An IHT / non-election one-hit-wonder, who for some reason thinks he's a genius.

I'd be tempted to say he should stick to running the economy, but he's an even worse Chancellor than strategist.

Brown on top of his game

Riiight, the fact that he was the worse chancellor in living memory is just immaterial then ?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    "He’s becoming more like Gordon Brown at every turn"

Hence Osbrowne.

The vital difference is that the public and a party don't mind a political chancellor in the good times but if you're just as sh*t at the political master strategies as the economics then you get found out very quickly indeed during the hard times.

Brown kept the illusion going well enough for labour to win three general elections with him as chancellor.

Osbrowne had to be hid and kept away from the cameras as much as possible in 2010 while master strategising the tories failing to win a majority.

His status as a toxic liability has hardly improved since then.

Osbrowne's omnishambles gifted little Ed and labour their lead while his master strategy of banging on about Europe and immigration has gifted the kippers their poll surges.

Meanwhile economically he misses his own AAA targets and has nothing to offer but seemingly endless austerity.

Being up against the likes of Balls should be a tory chancellor's dream come true and it would be if it was anyone but Osbrowne.

The most crucial thing of all however is that he's Cammie's chum and in the chumocracy it really doesn't matter how sh*t you are as long as you are Cammie's chum.

• Options

tim said:

They've already achieved more savings in departmental spending than they said they would in 2010, so not really very heroic. And they've got plenty of time to figure out how to do it, now they know their departmental budgets up to April 2016.
    Very economical with the truth ! So, let's do some simple arithmetic.

If Osborne has achieved more savings in departmental savings than was envisaged in 2010, but the overall borrowing has been a lot higher, whatever happened to the tax receipts ? And, why ?

He has f**ked the growth, that's why !
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited June 2013
    Two things on power and energy that come out tomorrow:

UK shale gas lovers: rumour has it that the British Geological Survey is going to release an estimate of UK shale gas potential, with particularly detailed data for the Bowland field. My guess is that they'll confirm the enormous potential, but will also have a laundry list of things the government needs to do to speed up accessing this resource.

DECC is due to release a paper on the structure of the UK electricity market, and - in particular - will focus on capacity payments. This will be a system to 'pay' people so they don't mothball their plants. I would expect that we'll see proposed a system a little like the US's capacity payments scheme, where 'on demand' power (i.e. not renewables) get an annual fee for hanging around just in case. The most interesting question to me is whether they'll allow nuclear power plants to bid for capacity, given the relatively low uptime of the UK nukes.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

They've already achieved more savings in departmental spending than they said they would in 2010, so not really very heroic.

And borrowed £245 Billion more than they said in 2010, and spent more than Labour were.
    Bring on the efficiency savings!

tim

Do please stop this nonsense about Osborne spending more than Labour.

It is like saying Osborne spent more this year than Harold Wilson did in 1975, when public spending was 49.7 % of GDP.

Any meaningful comparison of annual spending has to be adjusted for inflation.

Quote me any reliable source which shows that Osborne has spent more than Brown in real terms.

Otherwise withdraw your bogus claims.
  • Options
    Evening all,
    How long would a claimant be given to learn English? Or do they have to achieve a minimum standard before they can claim. I agree with posters who say that this is only a gimmick.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Neil - Yes I am glad I put a small bet on the ALP at the weekend as their odds are now bound to shorten. Am a bit busy at the moment but caught the result on the train, I now think this could be a great election and were Rudd to win it would make Keating's 'sweetest victory of all' and Howard's 'greatest comeback since Lazarus' look like almost nothing!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I hope you all realise that 11.5 billion GBP is far less than our annual contribution (18 billion GBP) to the EU, right?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

tim said:

They've already achieved more savings in departmental spending than they said they would in 2010, so not really very heroic.

And borrowed £245 Billion more than they said in 2010, and spent more than Labour were.
    Bring on the efficiency savings!

tim

Do please stop this nonsense about Osborne spending more than Labour.

It is like saying Osborne spent more this year than Harold Wilson did in 1975, when public spending was 49.7 % of GDP.

Any meaningful comparison of annual spending has to be adjusted for inflation.

Quote me any reliable source which shows that Osborne has spent more than Brown in real terms.

Otherwise withdraw your bogus claims.
    AveryLP: actually, I suspect that - adjusted for inflation - Osborne is spending around the same as Darling was at the end of his tenure. If you go to Trading Economics (http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/government-spending) you can see the raw numbers. Having slightly higher than anticipated unemployment and weaker than expected economic growth will account for pretty much the entire issue, I would guess.

By the way, if you (as in tim or anyone else) wants to see what *real* austerity looks like, then check out the following government spending charts:

Ireland is genuinely astonishing:
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/government-spending

Spain is also going through some savage cuts:
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/government-spending

As is Portugal:
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/portugal/government-spending

And even the US is seeing real reductions in spend:
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/government-spending
  • Options

I hope you all realise that 11.5 billion is far less than our annual contribution (18 billion) to the EU, right?

What's that in Bitcoins?
  • Options
    Surbiton - Indeed, it could well be a few Queensland gains (Rudd's home turf) which scrapes him over the line, this could be an Oz 1992, Kinnock had a huge lead over Thatcher after the Poll Tax etc, but once she had gone the focus turned to whether voters wanted Kinnock, they decided they would rather not after all, the same could happen to Abbott!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rcs1000 said:

I hope you all realise that 11.5 billion is far less than our annual contribution (18 billion) to the EU, right?

What's that in Bitcoins?
    We could save 18 billion GBP a year if we leave Europe?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    LOL

Channel 4 News using Osbrowne's toecurllingly embarrassing 'fop burger' staged phototweet.

Another day another PR master strategy.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Correction, there has been a snap Morgan poll Morgan has sprung into action with a “snap” SMS poll of 2530 respondents, showing a Coalition lead of just 50.5-49.5 from primary votes of 38% for Labor, 43% for the Coalition and 8.5% for the Greens. For what it’s worth, a Morgan poll conducted by the same method on the day of the 2010 election turned in a highly accurate result.

A result that tight will all depend on the marginals (eg in 1998 Howard won but lost the popular vote very narrowly)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

What's that in Bitcoins?
    We could save 18 billion a year if we leave Europe?
    18 billion bitcoins??? Or are you using some fiat currency for your figures?
  • Options
    Is it true the Aussies use the US spelling for "Labor"?

Looks so foreign :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

What's that in Bitcoins?
    We could save 18 billion a year if we leave Europe?
    18 billion bitcoins??? Or are you using some fiat currency for your figures?
    Er, 18 billion pounds sterling of course! And wasn't the "Fiat" currency the Lira replaced by the Euro?

:)
  • Options
    Sunil - Indeed
  • Options
    tim said:

Fop Burger with Trust Fund Dressing photo alert on C4.

Yep.....that's about the strength of the Left's critique of the CSR.....short of "we agree and will do the same...."

• Options
    tim said:

Fop Burger with Trust Fund Dressing photo alert on C4.

Fop Burger? Is that something new at McDeath? Or is it Burger King?

:)
This discussion has been closed.