Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly the high rollers get attracted by the #IndyRef bet

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly the high rollers get attracted by the #IndyRef betting

Now Ladbrokes report that a shop in Scotland took a £200k bet on the #IndyRef outcome being NO
Hills took similar bet earlier in week

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited June 2013
    This BBC article is really annoying because it doesn't bother to give the voting figures of the Scottish Parliament re. 16 and 17 year olds getting the vote in the independence referendum, which was the main thing I wanted to know:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23074572
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    No, I haven't been in Scotland all week.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    @JackW - But surely you have lackeys to carry out this kind of grubby transaction?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Fantastic news for those ever-so-confident Nats, who can now make an absolute pile of cash when the YES vote triumphs.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,665
    It's a Victory for Eck!

Meanwhile, more great news on EU accession for Scotland:

"Scotland's independent membership of the EU could be blocked by eastern European countries seeking greater farm subsidies and other states with internal secessionist movements, according to UK Europe Minister David Lidington."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/uk-europe-minister-independent-scotlands-eu-membership-could-be-blocked.1372342167
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    It's Labrokes PR bullsh*t isn't it? Anything to get gullible punters in the shop.

Just like their £10,000 claim for the novelty bet on 'Jeffrey' that was trumpeted on here.

Just like this in fact as tim kindly pointed out.
    Remember that tiara bet?

£6k to take out £72k

COMPLAINT:

Mr Jon Samuel complained to the Press Complaints Commission that the newspaper had published an inaccurate story on its website that an individual had placed a £6,000 bet with Ladbrokes that the Duchess of Cambridge would wear the George III Tiara. The complainant contended that given the stringent bet limits imposed by bookmakers it was inconceivable that a bet of £6,000 would have been accepted by any bookmaker on what was a 'novelty' betting market.

RESOLUTION:

Following confirmation from Ladbrokes that the bet had been declined, the PCC negotiated the addition of the following statement to the online article:

Correction: Since this story was first posted it has been confirmed that although this bet was requested it was in fact declined by Ladbrokes. All bookmakers have a prerogative to decline requested bets.

DATE PUBLISHED: 12/09/2011
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, everyone.

I wonder whether the possible Catalan referendum might be held (or attempted to be held) before or after the Scottish one. After would make sense, as the debate, whilst grumpy, is likely to be far more civil than that in Spain, allowing the Catalonians to point at the UK as an example how such a thing can happen.
  • Options
    @RichardNabavi

Indeed but Peter the Punter will not get out of bed anymore for less than a complete new designer outfit from Matalan and Mike Smithson spends more time on holiday than the average MP !!

I thought I'd ask Nick Palmer now his chance of winning back Broxtowe has envaporated but I fear minimum wage and all the pies he can eat might just not be tempting enough ?!?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm in Glasgow today. But if I were to bet £200,000 on anything and my other half found out, I would be wearing my cullions as earrings.

Yes is starting to look interesting as a bet. It seems hard to imagine that it will be as long as 4/1 all the way to the date of the referendum.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT @alanbrooke

As I've said before the blues have chosen an ordinary chancellor for extraordinary times. I found Avery's post the other night surprising - he argued that although they'd sent a boy to do a man's job, the boy was growing up fast. It sort of begs the question why the best available person for the job wasn't in it from day one.

Not quite what I argued, Mr. Brooke.

But I accept that Cameron had a choice between Ken Clarke and George Osborne, the former having experience of both ministerial office in general and the Treasury.

I guess you would have preferred Ken but Cameron needed a Chancellor with a little bit more steel; who was not divisive on the EU issue; who could present a new face to the public; who was a political strategist at the core of the 'new' party; and. last but not least, who was a personal supporter in whom he could place complete confidence.

George fitted the bill and, in the long term, will prove to have been a better choice than Ken.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    There are cheaper ways to fund the new Jacobite uprising, surely?
  • Options

It's a Victory for Eck!

How big a scottish tory surge are you predicting then Carlotta? Your other scottish tory chums seemed quite confident it would be HUGE. :)

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

It seems hard to imagine that it will be as long as 4/1 all the way to the date of the referendum.

Could be longer
  • Options
    The 'Andy Murray Tracker' - Scottish or British?

After winning gold for Team GB at London 2012 and round one at Wimbledon, Britons still see Andy Murray as more Scottish than British

New YouGov research reveals Murray is still Scottish rather than British in the eyes of 53% of the British public. The polling took place after Murray won his first round match at Wimbledon against Germany’s Benjamin Becker in straight sets.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/06/27/andy-murray-scottish-after-all/#sthash.D1FDI403.dpuf
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It's a Victory for Eck!

How big a scottish tory surge are you predicting then Carlotta? Your other scottish tory chums seemed quite confident it would be HUGE. :)
    How big a YES win are you predicting? You must have bet a fortune at these odds!

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    AveryLP said:

FPT @alanbrooke

As I've said before the blues have chosen an ordinary chancellor for extraordinary times. I found Avery's post the other night surprising - he argued that although they'd sent a boy to do a man's job, the boy was growing up fast. It sort of begs the question why the best available person for the job wasn't in it from day one.

But I accept that Cameron had a choice between Ken Clarke and George Osborne, the former having experience of both ministerial office in general and the Treasury.

I guess you would have preferred Ken but Cameron needed a Chancellor with a little bit more steel; who was not divisive on the EU issue; who could present a new face to the public; who was a political strategist at the core of the 'new' party; and. last but not least, who was a personal supporter in whom he could place complete confidence.

George fitted the bill and, in the long term, will prove to have been a better choice than Ken.

if I understood you correctly Avery your comment was that moving into a great department of state was an intimidating prospect and it takes time for anyone new to it to find their feet and impose their will on wily old timers who know how to play the game. While you praised GO as now getting more valuable by the day as his experience grows, I'm afraid for me it highlighted why someone used to handling big organisations wasn't put there day one a Clarke or a Hammond. Time is money I'm afraid.
  • Options
    tim said:

antifrank said:

I'm in Glasgow today. But if I were to bet £200,000 on anything and my other half found out, I would be wearing my cullions as earrings.

Yes is starting to look interesting as a bet. It seems hard to imagine that it will be as long as 4/1 all the way to the date of the referendum.

It'll go to 8/1 on the day before, maybe longer if the polls stay as they are
    I thought putting £200,000 on in a shop was laughably implausable?

It certainly makes this sound like public relations twaddle.

Now Ladbrokes report that a shop in Scotland took a £200k bet on the #IndyRef outcome being NO Hills took similar bet earlier in week

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

It's a Victory for Eck!

How big a YES win are you predicting? You must have bet a fortune at these odds!

Mr Smithson made enough cash out of betting on the SNP winning the 2011 elections. :)

• Options
    RobD said:

There are cheaper ways to fund the new Jacobite uprising, surely?

Indeed so.

Fundraising races ahead. My new head of monetary affairs assures me a few U turns on financial matters, some creative accounting and flogging all our hidden gold for $400 an ounce will ensure no more boom and bust for the Jacobite economic cause. Seems like a fine fellow this Ed Balls chap.

What could possibly go wrong ?!?

• Options
    SeanT said:

If the Nats have cullions as big as their mouths, then they must be minting it as the price on Yes widens, given that they assure us Yes is going to win.

Are they?

TUD keeps offering bets but the swivel-eyed loons keep chickening out. Funny that isn't it?

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

AveryLP said:

FPT @alanbrooke

if I understood you correctly Avery your comment was that moving into a great department of state was an intimidating prospect and it takes time for anyone new to it to find their feet and impose their will on wily old timers who know how to play the game. While you praised GO as now getting more valuable by the day as his experience grows, I'm afraid for me it highlighted why someone used to handling big organisations wasn't put there day one a Clarke or a Hammond. Time is money I'm afraid.
    OMG, Jeremy Clarkson or "The Hamster" Top Gear gone mad! :-)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Andy Murray's definitely British so far this week :)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

I don't believe for one moment that an unknown punter walked into a shop with cash and got £200k on

They are used to taking bigger bets from financier though.
  • Options
    tim said:

I don't believe for one moment that an unknown punter walked into a shop with cash and got £200k on

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/your-role/assess-risk.htm

They were cash bets?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2013
    MODERATED... but following up immediately with a thread on Scottish independence is surely the unkindest cut of all.

FPT. Of all the lines written on the last thread this little grouping made me laugh most

(Tim) "It wasn't a hit by the Sun, Scott, it was a tweet by the fop."
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

AveryLP said:

FPT @alanbrooke

OMG, Jeremy Clarkson or "The Hamster" Top Gear gone mad! :-)
    LOL

I should have added May ( Theresa ) and got a full house.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2013

AveryLP said:

FPT @alanbrooke

Yes, you have summarised my argument well. But Hammond running a property company would not have overcome the barriers: only Ken had the relevant experience. And even if Cameron had bought that early advantage it could have been negated by a play on divisions between No 10 and No 11, which, as we saw with the Blair regime, has the potential to completely destroy good governance.

I am sure Cameron would have given Osborne the benefit of Clarke's experience in the relevant Cabinet committees.

• Options
    tim said:

RobD said:

tim said:

They were cash bets?

Why else would you go into a shop?

Maybe an old timer without a computer? ;)
  • Options
    "THE fact that the SNP are ordering all of their MSPs onto Scotland’s streets full-time for the last four weeks of the referendum campaign in 2014 is not a sign that they’re panicking. No sir, they’re doing it in the interests of democracy....

......But if they are using taxpayers’ cash to fund their political ends, namely the end of the 300-year-old Union, shouldn’t that money count against the limits set by the Electoral Commission? The parties have already agreed strict spending limits for the referendum with the Commission but with 65 MSPs, at £5,000 a time, the SNP is proposing to shell out a further £325,000.

Shouldn’t that be counted as part of their overall total? If you agree, why not complain to the the Electoral Commission at their Scottish office: Lothian Chambers, 59-63 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1RN."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10146070/Campaigning-Nats-should-have-their-pay-docked.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @SeanT

"If the Nats have cullions as big as their mouths, then they must be minting it......"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3879480/Man-with-giant-testicles-needs-1million-op.html
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps the PB tories could tell us what SLAB and Lamont's position on the cuts and the bedroom tax are since they now profess such a deep and abiding wisdom about scottish politics?

LOL
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

FPT @alanbrooke

Yes, you have summarised my argument well. But Hammond running a property company would not have overcome the barriers: only Ken had the relevant experience. And even if Cameron had bought that early advantage it could have been negated by a play on divisions between No 10 and No 11, which as we saw with the Blair regime, have the potential to completely destroy good governance.

I am sure Cameron would have given Osborne the benefit of Clarke's experience in the relevant Cabinet committees.

I understand the point but don't agree with the analysis. Accepting the difficulties of coalition it would make more sense to have an experienced bod in HMT even if as a Spad\non-exec. Since I'm from the "it's the economy stupid" school sending a guy in with L plates almost makes sense of Brown's no time for a novice. Furthermore, what use is the eventual experience if all he does is lose an election ?
  • Options
    @SeanT I am on the record as seeing the par result as being a 2:1 victory for No. I remain of that view. But I also believe that the Yes camp will at some point look as though it has some momentum. They can't be this crap all the way to the autumn of 2014 - can they?

NB There has been much talk about the impact of the anniversary of Bannockburn in the run-up to the referendum. There is another very significant anniversary next year which will also have an impact on public thought, though I can't see which side it will favour in this referendum, which is the outbreak of World War One. I've seen no discussion about how that might affect public debate.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There has been much talk about the impact of the anniversary of Bannockburn in the run-up to the referendum.

There is also the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with lots of Saltire waving, which may have greater impact:

http://www.glasgow2014.com
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Perhaps Scotland should implement Gove's history curriculum - then pupils might actually have heard of Bannockburn.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

"THE fact that the SNP are ordering all of their MSPs onto Scotland’s streets full-time for the last four weeks of the referendum campaign in 2014 is not a sign that they’re panicking. No sir, they’re doing it in the interests of democracy....

Surely as a scottish tory you would know that on the ground there have already plenty of initial instances of ground campaigning?

I know it's not as powerful as PB tory anecdote always is on matters scottish, but I've been involved in it myself and while there is limited interest this far out there is certainly no overt hostility nonetheless.

Maybe you should take your head out of Lamont and scottish labour's arsenal of spin for a change. :)

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Perhaps Scotland should implement Gove's history curriculum - then pupils might actually have heard of Bannockburn.

Don't worry, they'll have heard of Bannockburn....if little else:

History lessons north of the border are to be revamped in a bid to downplay the British Empire and promote Scottish Nationalism.
    In an assault on the SNP’s new Curriculum for Excellence (CfE), senior history teachers said Government ‘tinkering’ would lead to a further slide in standards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146719/Anger-SNP-rewrite-history-New-school-curriculum-downplays-role-British-Empire.html#ixzz2XR7rKlJF
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What on earth is Mr Dale implying??
    Iain Dale ‏@IainDale 23m

Just interviewed Michael Gove. Me: I hear you're partial to a whopper..." I'll post his reply on Audioboo shortly... :)
    ;^ )
  • Options
    @Mick_Pork - so if Westminster parties send MPs to campaign on tax payer's money you'll have no objection? Or should MSP's salaries be counted towards the overall spending?
  • Options

antifrank said:

There has been much talk about the impact of the anniversary of Bannockburn in the run-up to the referendum.

There is also the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with lots of Saltire waving, which may have greater impact:

followed by WW1 centenary in August and 75 years of WW2 in September. All those Union Jacks and spitfires and fighting U boats from the Clyde and Scapa.
  • Options
    Wasn't the Scottish Parliament schedule worked such that the same number of weeks are worked, they have just been re-jigged to have a month off during the campaign?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

@Mick_Pork - so if Westminster parties send MPs to campaign on tax payer's money you'll have no objection? Or should MSP's salaries be counted towards the overall spending?

The same rules apply to everyone or you end up looking like a hypocritical tw+t.
    Didn't you know that petal? ;)

I know it's hard to believe but there are actually scottish labour lib dem and green MSPs as well as your own scottish tories. It would seem your scottish tory surge hasn't wiped out everyone yet.

Cochs is just as much of a joke as Dan Hodges that only the truly desperate would reach for.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

antifrank said:

followed by WW1 centenary in August and 75 years of WW2 in September. All those Union Jacks and spitfires and fighting U boats from the Clyde and Scapa.
    Soldiers wounded and maimed from Iraq and Afghanistan will be playing a very prominent role so I understand. Just as it should be.

• Options
    antifrank said:

They can't be this crap all the way to the autumn of 2014 - can they?

I think you are seeing them at their best right now.

And the SNP implosion will look like a slick, well-oiled machine compared to the Twin Eds
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Mick_Pork said:

Surely as a scottish tory you would know that on the ground there have already plenty of initial instances of ground campaigning?

I know it's not as powerful as PB tory anecdote always is on matter scottish, but I've been involved in it myself and while there is limited interest this far out there is certainly no overt hostility nonetheless.

Maybe you should take your head out of Lamont and scottish labour's arsenal of spin for a change. :)

Is Carlotta a Scots Tory too ? How many do they have ? Fitalass, Easterross, Jack W, Scott. My, my there could be a Tory landslide next time !!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Scott_P said:

antifrank said:

They can't be this crap all the way to the autumn of 2014 - can they?

I think you are seeing them at their best right now.

And the SNP implosion will look like a slick, well-oiled machine compared to the Twin Eds
    How well did that work out for your scottish tories last year?

No need to ask Carlotta, I have it here.
    The Conservatives had lost 20 per cent of their councillors, saw their vote fall to 13.31 per cent and local representation cut dramatically or even wiped out in some areas.

Not quite the surge you were looking for, was it? Ah well, there's always next time.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Ah well, there's always next time.

Not an option for Eck

He is going to squander the only chance for a generation.

Numpty
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    surbiton said:

Mick_Pork said:

I know it's not as powerful as PB tory anecdote always is on matter scottish, but I've been involved in it myself and while there is limited interest this far out there is certainly no overt hostility nonetheless.

Is Carlotta a Scots Tory too ? How many do they have ? Fitalass, Easterross, Jack W, Scott. My, my there could be a Tory landslide next time !!!
  • Options
    Could Sunil join the Scottish tories ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    http://www.roymorgan.com/

Large swing to the ALP in post-Rudd Australia.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yorkcity said:

You would have to ask him if he's a kipper or a tory this week. I'm afraid it changes frequently.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    tim said:

RobD said:

tim said:

They were cash bets?

Maybe a card payment?

I think these bets being laid is more plausible than Ladbrokes losing £10k on the Jeffrey bet myself.
    They are just having £33k on Yes at 6s, which isn't the worst bet in the world. And it's a straight up market that can't be manipulated.

Laying to lose £10k on a market that could be so easily bent as the Jeffrey one is crackers
  • Options
    Nice to know there are no cuts to the monarchy.

It is about time the SNP got a backbone and said they would support an elected head of state.

That would be the first step to true independence.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Scott_P said:

Yorkcity said:

MODERATED
    Classy stuff Scott.
    Good to see the right wingers are maintaining the dignity of PB as expected.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

maintaining the dignity of PB

Micky Mouse posting about dignity. What's the word?

Unspoofable.
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

RobD said:

tim said:

They were cash bets?

Maybe a card payment?

I think these bets being laid is more plausible than Ladbrokes losing £10k on the Jeffrey bet myself.
    They are just having £33k on Yes at 6s, which isn't the worst bet in the world. And it's a straight up market that can't be manipulated.

Laying to lose £10k on a market that could be so easily bent as the Jeffrey one is crackers

You think one £33,000 bet could be made in a betting shop as easily as that? You know best I suppose.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mick_Pork said:

maintaining the dignity of PB

Micky Mouse posting about dignity. What's the word?

Unspoofable.

Perfect. :)
  • Options
    Ugh.. I find these constant updates on Mandela's health in the telegraph to be somewhat morbid. He was "trying to open his eyes" earlier, and now he is "responding to touch". Talk about over the top.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @RobD

I couldn't agree more.

Why do we have to keep hearing about Mandela's condition? He's almost 95 years old — it's to be expected that he's not in the best of health. I think the media should shut up while he's still alive.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If he is worse than fitalass the bookies must love him.

He copies lots of tweets though.
    tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

Scott_P said:

Yorkcity said:

MODERATED
    Classy stuff Scott.
    Good to see the right wingers are maintaining the dignity of PB as expected.
    MODERATED

From the only man on here who's proven to be worse at election predictions than the awesome fitalass as well.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Stan James closed my account for winning too much
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ugh.. I find these constant updates on Mandela's health in the telegraph to be somewhat morbid. He was "trying to open his eyes" earlier, and now he is "responding to touch". Talk about over the top.

As well as being one of the most famous and widely praised politicians in the world his death could trigger widescale unrest in SA. So it's hardly over the top to monitor his condition. How different papers do that is up to them.

• Options
    "Ecuador breaks US trade pact to thwart 'blackmail' over Edward Snowden

Government renounces Andean Trade Preference Act even as Snowden's prospects of reaching Ecuador from Moscow dimmed":
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/27/ecuador-us-trade-pact-edward-snowden
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

It is about time the SNP got a backbone and said they would support an elected head of state.

Yes, President Blair, he wouldn't ask for more money would he ?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814
    TGOHF said:

Over here in the West of Scotland, I've never seen 1314 graffiti-ed on a wall, but I have seen 1690 and 1916 loads of times.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Yes is the good value loser in this equation.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

tim said:

RobD said:

tim said:

They were cash bets?

Maybe a card payment?

You think one £33,000 bet could be made in a betting shop as easily as that? You know best I suppose.
    I'm just guessing really, but based on experience the Jeffrey one seems mad

I meant laying the £200,000 at 1/6 bet is the equivalent of the bookies having £33k on yes at 6s, they can only do £33k, so it sounds bigger than it is really
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Over here in the West of Scotland, I've never seen 1314 graffiti-ed on a wall, but I have seen 1690 and 1916 loads of times.
    just how far west are you ? do they offer you whiskey instead of whisky ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Given how Wimbledon has been this week, worth noting that Reynolds is currently 27/1 to beat Djokovic going into a first set tiebreak?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

No President Boris? He'll be disappointed. ;)

• Options

Given how Wimbledon has been this week, worth noting that Reynolds is currently 27/1 to beat Djokovic going into a first set tiebreak?

Lol. In the time it took to write that post, Djokovic went 4-0 up in the tie break. Still, there shouldn't have been enough time for anyone to get a bet on!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Yorkcity said:

No President Boris? He'll be disappointed. ;)

I started life favouring a republic and the more I see the shower of failed politicians we'd be stuck with the more I've become a monarchist.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    His death could trigger widescale unrest in SA.

Think so? his hand's been off the tiller, so to speak, for a long while now.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

just how far west are you ? do they offer you whiskey instead of whisky ?

@LittleLostLad: Is it Whisky or Whiskey? I'm doing a job application and I have to put what I had for breakfast, but I don't want to look like an idiot.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    In the cash economy, betting shops are very useful for certain families to legitimise their revenue.
  • Options

I started life favouring a republic and the more I see the shower of failed politicians we'd be stuck with the more I've become a monarchist.

You have to catch more of Michael D. Higgins then - a great advertisement for republicanism. He writes poetry, is the subject of rock songs, is President of my local (temporarily defunct) football team. The guy couldnt be any more awesome. Well, maybe if he was grew to be taller than an munchkin.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    SCOTT P

LEFTARD IS UNACCEPTABLE
    NO MORE PLEASE
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The truth is that the calibre of almost all South African politicians since Mandela stood down has been utterly dreadful, so I suppose his passing could trigger widespread unrest.
  • Options
    Today has not been pb's finest day.
  • Options
    Scott if that is true very well done.

That must be gambling on more than just politics ?
    Scott_P said:

Yorkcity said:

Stan James closed my account for winning too much
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MODERATOR:PLEASE JUST OBLIGE
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

That must be gambling on more than just politics ?

That was primarily the ponies.
  • Options
    taffys said:

His death could trigger widescale unrest in SA.

Think so? his hand's been off the tiller, so to speak, for a long while now.

He's an icon and there are worries about whether Zuma could maintain order.
    It's certainly not inevitable but the way they have tightly controlled information about his condition is an indicator that they are far from sanguine about what could happen.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/15/18955271-south-africans-fret-about-post-mandela-civil-strife?lite
  • Options
    Jack W!

Re; Jacobitte fundraising, consider possibilities of cajoling/subourning Miss FLORA MACDOALD to appear on Maury Povich show demanding that Bonney Price Charlie take battery of DNA & lie-decector tests on syndicated TV?
  • Options
    You can vote a president out , and only allow them two terms 8 years maximum as in the USA.

To defend Born to be head of state has no place in this or the last century.

Yorkcity said:

• Options
    Salmond defends his plan to undercut UK Corporation Tax by 3%:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/scotland-23072845

I can see the attraction for Scotland - if not the rest of the "Sterling Zone"!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Oops! Well done Ed...

French PM Acknowledges 2013 Deficit May Be Higher Than Expected

PARIS--France's Prime Minister acknowledged Thursday that the country's deficit may come in higher than expected this year, a few hours after the nation's auditor warned the government against a slippage in its public accounts.

"For 2013, unfortunately, because of the lack of growth, what the Cour des Comptes says is true," French President Francois Hollande had pledged during last year's election campaign to cut the country's deficit to 3% this year. But when it became clear that the pledge could not be met, Paris obtained from the European Commission an extra two years to bring its public deficit below the 3% ceiling.

The French economy is likely to stutter out of recession this year after posting two consecutive quarters of economic contraction at the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013.

Statistics agency Insee said it expects there was a return to growth in the second quarter of this year, technically lifting the country's economy from recession. But the recovery will continue weakly with a stagnation in the third quarter and only a slight expansion at the end of year, resulting in a 0.1% contraction for the whole of 2013.
  • Options
    The question of how you should choose the head of state is subsidiary to what you want the head of state to do. If the head of state is to be ceremonial, the selection process should be very different from that of an executive head of state.
  • Options
    Speaking of adversting, much more interesting than watching Chance of Excheq eating a gormet burger, is the self-defenstration of Paula Deane. Who is no doubt rushing to repair damanage she's inflicted on herself in past week . . . by preparing some comfort food for the geek currently straded at the Moscow airport . . .
  • Options
    @tim

You seem to be referring to ScottP and his posts at least as much as MTF ever commented on yours. How things change!
  • Options
    Here is Seattle's answer to Paula . . .

In Which Peter Steinbrueck Performs in Blackvoice
    Posted by Goldy on Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM [The Stranger]

Last night eight of the nine mayoral candidates showed up at the downtown Seattle Public Library to read from their favorite books. Mayor Mike McGinn read from Joseph Heller's Catch 22, Bruce Harrell from Doris Kearns Goodwin's Lincoln bio Team of Rivals, and Ed Murray from Thomas Merton's essay "Letter to an Innocent Bystander" (which, I should note, is not actually a book).

But by far the most talked about reading of the evening was by Peter Steinbrueck, who chose an excerpt from Charles Chesnutt's 1899 collection of short stories The Conjure Woman:

"I dunno ez hit's wuf w'ile ter tell you dis," he said, at length. "I doan ha'dly 'spec' fer you ter b'lieve it. Does you 'member dat club-footed man w'at hilt de hoss fer you de yuther day w'en you was gittin' out'n de rockaway down ter Mars Archie McMillan's sto'?"

"Yes, I believe I do remember seeing a club-footed man there."

"Did you eber see a club-footed nigger befo' er sence?"

"No, I can't remember that I ever saw a club-footed colored man," I replied, after a moment's reflection.

"You en Mis' Annie would n' wanter b'lieve me, ef I wuz ter 'low dat dat man was oncet a mule?"

But more talked about than his choice of material was Steinbrueck's choice to perform it in full blackvoice, with the exception of one modest edit. KUOW's The Conversation has a clip up online. You can skip to the seven-minute mark and listen to it for yourself. (The Seattle Channel says they'll have video of the full event up online sometime tomorrow.)

So... um... discuss!

• Options
    Neil said:

You seem to be referring to ScottP and his posts

The creepy man crush is getting worse. It is just sad.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If the head of state is to be ceremonial, the selection process should be very different from that of an executive head of state.

An election can work equally well for both though.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@tim

You seem to be referring to ScottP and his posts at least as much as MTF ever commented on yours. How things change!

Though not quite as much as you refer to green issues to be fair Neil, but then who does? ;)

• Options
    @Neil It can, but if there's an existing system that produces a ceremonial head of state that is hugely popular and widely selected, is there any compelling need to change it?
  • Options
    @antifrank - I only post to say that an election every few years would present greater political betting opportunities ;)
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

"The myth of increasingly lenient sentences is exposed once again."

The political class did everything they possibly could to prevent these crimes coming to trial at all let alone sentencing. These sentences are the result of being caught out and are evidence of the exact opposite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348870/Members-Oxford-sex-ring-threatened-cut-face-victims.html

"Members of Oxford sex ring 'threatened to cut off the face one of their victims and decapitate her baby after she tried to tell police about years of abuse'"

Reminds me of that question time where the panel were talking about how the victims were perfectly happy selling themselves for a bag of crisps.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    Off-topic:
    Sometimes in all the partisan stuff on here, it is easy to forget that it is the people that matter. Therefore this story should be of interest:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23028078

It is an area where successive governments have utterly failed.The Conservatives did not help them. Labour did not help them. The coalition did not help them. Promise after promise broken.

This is not an area populated with workshy or lazy people - it is an area populated with people who have been let down by the system. Any laziness will be down to a lack of hope, a knowledge that their community is dying. I have seen this in areas of my native Derbyshire, where the problems were nowhere near as pronounced.

Sadly, I have no answers.

Even further off-topic:
    My ex-gf used to work at these premises, when it housed a different company (the premises were searched in the hunt for the missing girls from Soham). Bang!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-23085513
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

You can vote a president out , and only allow them two terms 8 years maximum as in the USA.

To defend Born to be head of state has no place in this or the last century.

Yorkcity said:

It is certainly possible to get rid of a bad monarch one way or another, as has been proven many times over the centuries.
  • Options
    tim said:

C4 News have the IFS ripping Danny Alexander's infrastructure hyperbole apart

Whatever the substance of this CSR (of which there's been precious little) - I do think the coalition have played a blinder - should put to bed talk of early splits...
This discussion has been closed.