Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview

In the annals of electoral history, nowhere screams louder than Basildon. 1992’s Conservative HOLD of the Basildon constituency was the clearest sign that the Conservatives had won the general election and ever since it has held an almost mythical reverence in Conservative party circles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited June 2013
    This is a local election for local people! There's nothing for you here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p006vm6j
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The Primrose vacancy is due to our Emma Double Surname resigning after becoming an MP
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Stourport is a cracker - 4 parties between 21-27% :)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Evening all. I am next to London Bridge watching the dirty old river rolling into the night, thinking this is the greatest city in the world. A slow raining is falling, taxi lights shining so bright. Bona nit a tots xxxx
  • Options
    O/T but amusing summary of how the German newspapers have reacted to the Irish banking tapes

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ruthdudleyedwards/100223732/the-germans-have-fallen-out-of-love-with-the-irish/

"Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung has fallen out of love with the Irish.

Former executives of the Anglo-Irish Bank should, it suggests, be piled into a big sack along with all shareholders, creditors, members of the last Irish government and relevant members of the Irish Central Bank and Irish and European regulatory authorities.

“Then one hits the sack with a club until the screams of pain are unbearable,” it recommended."
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    Daily Mirror ‏@DailyMirror 58m

Nick Clegg reveals he does not “knowingly” feed his kids GM food http://mirr.im/122Wt1s
    Oh dear.

Is Cammie going to have to feed Osbrowne a GM beefburger in front of the cameras in a Gummer like PR stunt? Perhaps a GM pasty would be more to the incompetent fops liking?
    Maybe chicken then?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Anthony Weiner (remember him?) is currently leading in the polls for the next mayor of NYC. Get your puns ready. "Weiner thrusts ahead" was the headline in a NYC paper today. "Weiner on a roll" said another.

His wife is holding a 'Women for Anthony' function this evening with, yes, cocktails.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Is little Danny trying to be the most unpopular lib dem ever? (apart from Calamity Clegg obviously)

Being Osbrowne's nodding dog for the CSR, privatising student loans, what else could anger the lib dem grass roots?
    Nuclear News ‏@nuclearnewsbot

Danny Alexander announces £10bn of guarantees for nuclear power station - The… http://goo.gl/fb/g9uMK #nuclear
    That should do it. ;)
  • Options
    RichardBRichardB Posts: 4
    I think that there must be a good chance Labour will win the Newtown ward by-election in Dartford. As it happens, I was once a Labour councillor for that very ward and the Labour candidate was one of my colleagues, on the council for 20 years until he lost in 2011.

He's a good guy and will put the work in so unless the Tories are very organised and still extremely strong in central Dartford, he and Labour really should win.

The ward is on the east side of the town, about 15 mins walk from the town centre. A Tory hold would be very good news for them.

I now live in Plymouth and send a long distance "good luck" to Dave Baker.

Southway in Plymouth should be a Labour gain too though a former Tory Councillor for the ward is standing as the UKIP candidate so that might lead to an interesting upset.

Labour is working very hard in Southway and has a good candidate (OK, I am biased) so that really should do the job.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Having now seen the same photo for this thread for several weeks (not a complaint, I quite like it) my curiosity has gotten the better of me. Does anyone know where the photo is from? Which election, where and when?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    tim said:

@MickPork

What are the chances that those Tories who attacked Blair for refusing to talk about his sons MMR will defend Daves decision not to talk about whether he feeds his children GM food?

The one thing I really like about Farage is that he tells anyone asking about his kids to f off.

"But the biggest public health disaster of all – which everyone misses – was a sweet little baby called Leo. In December 2001 the Blairs were asked if their infant son had been given the MMR vaccine, and refused to answer, on the grounds that this would invade their child’s right to privacy. This stance was not entirely unreasonable, but its validity was somewhat undermined by Cherie Blair when she chose to reveal Leo’s vaccination history, in the process of promoting her autobiography, and also described the specific act of sexual intercourse which conceived him.

And while most other politicians were happy to clarify whether their children had had the vaccine, you could see how people might believe the Blairs were the kind of family not to have their children immunised: essentially, they had surrounded themselves with health cranks. There was Cherie Blair’s closest friend and aide, Carole Caplin, a new age guru and “life coach”. Cherie was reported to visit Carole’s mum, Sylvia Caplin, a spiritual guru who was viciously anti-MMR (“for a tiny child, the MMR is a ridiculous thing to do. It has definitely caused autism,” she told the Mail)."

http://www.badscience.net/2008/08/the-medias-mmr-hoax/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Tim

The chances are they'll ignore it like so much of their hypocrisy.

But a political leader is not some helpless bystander when it comes to decisions about his family. Farage is not the only one who drew the line and it's an option open to every politician to cut the media off at the knees and make it clear they are not part of the package.

Where the problems begin is if you mean it then no PR shoots, no leaflets with happy families, no 'speaking as a parent' or they'll have you in a second. It means complete media blackout and it doesn't guarantee no intrusion with a press that often doesn't give a monkeys. If you make it a two way street then one day they'll be waiting at the bottom of your street with a telephoto lens and it will be your family they are after not you.

Brown got it by and large right to be fair (not always but mostly) hence the surprise when his children appeared as he left Downing Street.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Mick_Pork FPT

We've avoided professional involvement with the royals since the days of Queen Anne. Difficult to enforce repayment, you see ;-)
  • Options
    tim said:

@Carlotta

So you are arguing Cameron must tell us if he feeds his kids GM food?

which of GM and MMR is a health crisis leading to deaths?

• Options
    edited June 2013

tim said:

@Carlotta

Irrelevant. Clegg just made it about possible health concerns.

"Why don't you knowingly feed your family GM Mr Clegg, don't you think it is safe?"

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Irrelevant
    Deaths are irrelevant?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Irrelevant
    Deaths are irrelevant?
    Your specious distinction for blatantly partisan reasons is irrelevant. Health concerns matter and Clegg just raised the bar. Now it gets flung over to the scientists who have to sort the mess out, just like on MMR.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    The big issues continue to dominate the minds of the left (MODERATED) Clegg's kids packed lunch.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Oh right so you just define the subject so Blair is wrong in refusing to talk about his kids and Cameron is right.
    So you don't see any difference whatsoever between a health crisis leading to deaths and cheaper food in supermarkets?

And the comments on the Blairs were Ben Goldacre's - who I thought you would have had time for - not mine.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Kippers may want to watch Ketton in Rutland.

Just a week or so ago three councillors there moved to UKIP from being independent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-22995205

Ketton is an interesting village, Rutland being one of the wealthiest postcodes in the country, I think the wealthiest outside the South East. Ketton though is best known for its cement factory, so it is an island of industry in a bucollic little county.

http://www.heidelbergcement.com/uk/en/hanson/products/cements/works_and_depots/kettonworks_.htm

Rutland has also been quite heavily hit by defence cuts.

If UKIP cannot make progress here...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MODERATED
    Even more classy than Scott_P.

You just can't help yourselves can you?

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Irrelevant
    Deaths are irrelevant?
    Your specious distinction for blatantly partisan reasons
    How many people have died from eating GM crops and how many from failure to vaccinate with MMR?

Who is the one with blatantly partisan specious reasons?

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

Oh right so you just define the subject so Blair is wrong in refusing to talk about his kids and Cameron is right.
    So you don't see any difference whatsoever between a health crisis leading to deaths and cheaper food in supermarkets?

And the comments on the Blairs were Ben Goldacre's - who I thought you would have had time for - not mine.
    Pointless you making any arguments if that's your level of ignorance.
    How many deaths from eating GM food?

• Options
    edited June 2013

tim said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

I read Goldacre's excellent account long ago and you might point the hapless Jeremy Hunt to his superb articles on homeopathy.

Drawing the line right now over GM safety just as Clegg has blurred it misses the point entirely. He will cause health concerns and the reason we get food/health 'scares' is that these things take off and feed on each other. Some have no merit but some do and the distinction gets lost amid hysteria. That means all health concerns/scares matter. Not just the ones you want to talk about for partisan reasons.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

That means all health concerns/scares matter. Not just the ones you want to talk about for partisan reasons.
    Yes - and the ones leading to deaths more than most. MMR was particularly pernicious because the decline in herd immunity not only threatened the children of the parents who fell for the poor reporting - but also children who could not be vaccinated. If Clegg's children do or do not eat GM foods it does not have an impact on the health of other parents children - and that's a scientific - not partisan - difference.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

tim said:

@Carlotta

That means all health concerns/scares matter. Not just the ones you want to talk about for partisan reasons.
    Yes - and the ones leading to deaths more than most.
    Which was a quantitative scientific judgement made long, long after the scare began. The full scale of the damage the MMR scare would do was an unknown when it broke which is the point.

If Clegg's children do or do not eat GM foods it does not have an impact on the health of other parents children - and that's a scientific - not partisan - difference.

He is an opinion former and his actions could easily lead to other parents boycotting GM as well as the newspapers (who are notorious for running with these things) and media getting caught up in it. Would boycotting GM have any adverse affects? Almost certainly not but we simply don't know where a scare story goes or what effect it could have at the outset.

A health scare over GM will linger in the public mind and do damage just by feeding distrust as MMR so clearly did. That cannot be dismissed.

That the MMR scare has now been proved to have such a pernicious and deadly effect does not excuse a willful partisan blindness over a possible GM scare just because Cammie could be involved in the political ramifications. Your motivation is crystal clear. As always.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I would have thought the idea that PM's should be obligated to use their own children to argue a case is so ridiculous that it shouldn't even warrant a discussion.

There are no circumstances when they should even have the right to do it let alone the obligation.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Spain beat Italy 7-6 on penalties in Confederations cup semi-final. Will play Brazil in the final.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Rhun ap Iorwerth selected by Plaid for Ynys Mon. He presents Newyddion9 programme on S4C channel.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Your motivation is crystal clear

As is the lefts to absolve St Tony in his (no doubt unintentional) role in the MMR saga...

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

As is the lefts to absolve St Tony in his (no doubt unintentional) role in the MMR saga...

That you didn't understand was clear from the outset but thanks for confirming it yet again.
  • Options
    Paul Mason says falling support for paying more in benefits is "frightening"

Not to me Paul.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Your criticism of a politician for failing to offer up his family's health records to the media is odious.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

I would have thought the idea that PM's should be obligated to use their own children to argue a case is so ridiculous that it shouldn't even warrant a discussion.

There are no circumstances when they should even have the right to do it let alone the obligation.

You still haven't told us why you, a TV man from the 70s and 80s, are so weirdly keen to disbelieve victims of rape and grooming from that time, and to exonerate the rapists, such that you called the abused boy victim of Savile, "an obvious liar".

What is your personal knowledge here? Why do you loathe the victims?
    Roger's probably still trying to find the 1977 Lancaster House Conference and the 1978 Zimbabwe elections.....

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Sometimes you have to wonder if even Fraser Nelson believes what he writes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10145995/Our-tantric-Chancellor-doesnt-realise-hes-winning-the-debate.html

George Osborne doesn't know he is winning the debate he says.

Oh I think he does. If he got any more smug about how things are going right now he would be in serious danger from sharp objects, if not spherical ones.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    DavidL said:

If he got any more smug about how things are going right now he would be in serious danger from sharp objects, if not spherical ones.

I fear his smugness may reach critical levels once we see his next set of no doubt stratospheric approval ratings. Otherwise there will be a great deal of pie on a great many faces for Osbrowne to make some amusing tweetpics of.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Your criticism of a politician for failing to offer up his family's health records to the media is odious.
    it was not my criticism - it was an observation by Ben Goldacre of the impact of a choice the Blairs made in an evolving health crisis. Had Cherie not then gone on to discuss the conception of said child and his vaccination history when promoting her book, then such criticism might have greater strength...
  • Options
    tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

So transparent.
    As was your smearing at the time - Hutchings ignorance on MMR followed the mainstream media reporting - and was not repeated after Wakefield was discredited. But you forget that. Always.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Laurie Penny on Newsnight reading from the same script as tim - eyeopening..
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Oh dear.- Laboursham.

Rob Marchant ‏@rob_marchant 12m
    Mandy's faint praise rapier: [McCluskey] "Fresh from winning the endorsement of 9.7% of Unite’s 1.5m members". Ouch. http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2013/06/27/no-more-falkirk-wests

Tom Newton Dunn Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 12m
    EXCL: Too far, too fast, too often? @edballsmp is convicted of yet another traffic offence – running a red light. See tomorrow's Sun.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Laurie Penny on Newsnight reading from the same script as tim - eyeopening..

She blamed the twenty year slide in support for welfare benefits on Osborne, Despite it carrying on throughout the Labour years.

She moaned about the 140 000 public sector jobs to be eliminated, and ignored the million private sector jobs created.

Penny and Owen remind me of my own days in student politics. Idealistic, passionate and wrong.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

If he got any more smug about how things are going right now he would be in serious danger from sharp objects, if not spherical ones.

I fear his smugness may reach critical levels once we see his next set of no doubt stratospheric approval ratings. Otherwise there will be a great deal of pie on a great many faces for Osbrowne to make some amusing tweetpics of.
    The people of this country don't like politicians Mick. Any politicians really but especially Chancellors.

But I would be very surprised if the gap between Cameron/Osborne and Miliband/Balls on economic competence does not widen after this week. This may be temporary of course but Labour have had a bad week.

The most legitimate criticisms of Osborne come from those such as Alanbrooke who say he is too obsessed with the politics and not enough with the economics. This is why the premise behind Nelson's latest column is so risible.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There are few things more boring than pb chuntering on about MMR. FFS. STFU.

We could always talk about NMR instead?
    :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance
  • Options
    Perhaps they are related : a Tim Penny - banging on and on :)
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

So transparent.
    As was your smearing at the time - Hutchings ignorance on MMR followed the mainstream media reporting - and was not repeated after Wakefield was discredited. But you forget that. Always.

Wakefields "research" was discredited before Hutchings had to be restrained during the 2005 election.
    June 2006
    The GMC announce that Wakefield is under investigation for professional misconduct, along with two other authors of the paper.

28 January 2010
    GMC conclude a two and a half year hearing and Wakefield was found to have acted
    unethically, dishonestly and irresponsibly.

Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    SeanT said:

No.

• Options
    tim said:

SeanT said:

It was about GM food and politicians using or not using their children until Carlotta tried to distract the argument for transparent reasons
    I think you'll find you mentioned Blair first.....
  • Options
    Perhaps Ed was fetching a Bargain Bucket for his boss?

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1m
    sun reports ed balls has been done for jumping a red light. BBC understands it happened in dec last year. shad chancellor got a fine.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Now here's a funny thing. I thought I'd amuse myself with a visit to Scot Goes Pop! to see how the indignation is going (very strongly, since you ask).

But the previous article, on escort agencies and disabled punters, is actually rather interesting:

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/rhoda-grant-and-entitlement.html
  • Options
    with fries please ed.

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 1m
    ...don't think we're going to be hearing "too far, too fast" from Ed B any more...

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @RichardNabavi Now that we've found out that the union is killing Scots, perhaps the next step is to find out that independence would give Scots more fulfilling relationships.
  • Options
    @tim Goldacre:

"Because in 2006, at exactly the same time as they were unanimously refusing even to mention these studies, they were covering an identical claim, using identical experimental methodology: “US scientists back autism link to MMR” said the Telegraph. “Scientists fear MMR link to autism” squealed the Mail."
  • Options
    I wonder what hand gestures Ed B will be facing in future in the commons

A straight palm - wait
    A rotating grip to suggest revving of motorbike engine
    Writing a cheque squiggle as when asking a waiter for a bill

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited June 2013
    Laurie Penny is always entertaining. She's one of those public school girl Jewish princesses, like Luciana Berger. (That's not an insult, by the way, but a compliment).
  • Options
    Looks like France is going to have a rather more serious bout of austerity than anything yet seen in this country: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/10147219/Tempers-fray-in-France-as-drastic-cuts-loom.html

The temptation to schadenfreude is great but actually this is another demonstration of the absurdity of the EZ and the EU. Having inherited the economy from a conservative government France has a far smaller deficit than we do but is under enormous pressure to cut far more drastically to meet some notional target that seems to have been dreamed up from a similar location to the figures provided by the directors of Allied Irish.

Given they already have higher unemployment and an even greater need for supply side reforms coated with the sugar of a little extra spending this is almost the worst possible medicine for a sick patient.

Thank goodness our leadership fully understand that Hollande is on the wrong path.

Oh.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

So transparent.

Wakefields "research" was discredited before Hutchings had to be restrained during the 2005 election.

http://www.drtribe.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:mmr-scandal-the-timeline&catid=46:general-medical-news&Itemid=182

Neil and Mick Pork, neither Blair supporters have nailed your position on GM/MMR/Cameron/Blair quite nicely.
    It's a complex area because once a scare starts there is very little time to either nip it in the bud or get precautions in place because not all scares are baseless. That BSE was nowhere near as deadly as was once feared did not stop it being fatal in many cases and cause incredible suffering as it did so. Gummer got it wrong, but was it just his fault? There are scientific advisors for this very reason and the likes of Clegg , Cammie and Blair have easy access to them so ignorance is no excuse.

What Clegg actually said was more nuanced than the headline makes out (as always) yet he knows what Cammie's line was so it is inconceivable he was not aware that he was creating a dividing line on a still very contentious issue for many.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    South Tyneside - Cleadon & E Boldon

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

• Options
    Liz Kendal!
  • Options

Mandy's faint praise rapier: [McCluskey] "Fresh from winning the endorsement of 9.7% of Unite’s 1.5m members". Ouch.

Tbf that's more people than voted for Mandy for anything, ever.
  • Options

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

UKIP gift the seat to Labour then?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 14m
    ...don't think we're going to be hearing "too far, too fast" from Ed B any more...

Could have been worse, he might have been photographed eating a posh burger and fries
  • Options
    edited June 2013

DavidL said:

The people of this country don't like politicians. Any politicians really but especially Chancellors.

There's your election slogan for 2015.

Good luck with that.

DavidL said:

he is too obsessed with the politics and not enough with the economics.

Hence Osbrowne.
  • Options
    Con win Rutland
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

So transparent.

http://www.drtribe.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:mmr-scandal-the-timeline&catid=46:general-medical-news&Itemid=182

Neil and Mick Pork, neither Blair supporters have nailed your position on GM/MMR/Cameron/Blair quite nicely.
    What Clegg actually said was more nuanced than the headline makes out .
    Indeed:

"“If you don’t grow the stuff in the first place you can hardly feed it to your children."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gm-food-nick-clegg-not-2004582#ixzz2XSUvAN1B
  • Options
    Cleadon percentages:

Lab 39
    Con 35
    UKIP 26

changes on 2012

Lab -7
    Con -19 (!)
    UKIP +26
  • Options
    Anybody else think Chris Huhne might be at home reading about Ed Balls and thinking to himself, "I should have just done that"?
  • Options

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

With the mark of the beast too!

• Options
    Cleadon & East Boldon is in South Shields constituency.

The deceased Cllr was elected as Conservative but later defected to UKIP.
  • Options
    South Tyneside - Primerose

Lab 755
    UKIP 520
    BNP 146
    CON 80

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Foxy

"Penny and Owen remind me of my own days in student politics. Idealistic, passionate and wrong."

What a depressing post. I don't suppose living in Birmingham helps.
  • Options

Liz Kendal!

Leicesters own....
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

So transparent.

What Clegg actually said was more nuanced than the headline makes out .
    Indeed:

"“If you don’t grow the stuff in the first place you can hardly feed it to your children."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gm-food-nick-clegg-not-2004582#ixzz2XSUvAN1B
    Yet he still said

“I don’t knowingly feed my children GM food."

and

“To be honest I can’t ever knowlingly remember picking up anything in the supermarket, does this say whether it is GM or not. It is not the basis on which we feed our children."

Which is catnip to a tabloid.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    O/T - Hearing that the reshuffle may be next week.

What are the odds on Lansley being fired - Uncle John's fickle finger of fate is pointing at him.
  • Options

Cleadon & East Boldon is in South Shields constituency.

The deceased Cllr was elected as Conservative but later defected to UKIP.

Tragic case - died very young - but clearly had his troubles

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/65318/death-at-30-of-alcoholic-ukip-south-tyneside-councillor-david
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Uncle John's fickle finger of fate is pointing at him.

Oo-er missus!!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2013

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

UKIP considers both Labour and Tories to be equally repugnant. I make it about 26% for UKIP. not bad for a labour heartland.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Lab 755
    UKIP 520
    BNP 146
    CON 80

Another good result for UKIP in a labour stronghold. JohnO should be worried. ;)

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeK said:

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

UKIP considers both Labour and Tories to be equally repugnant. I make it about 26% for UKIP.,
    not bad for a labour heartland

Hardly a Labour heartland , in the South of England this ward would have a Conservative majority as large as many in Surrey .
  • Options
    JohnO said:

This could mean that Lansley is for the chop ... or that he's going to end up in Bournemouth by accident ;)

• Options
    edited June 2013

Lab 755
    UKIP 520
    BNP 146
    CON 80

Percentages Primrose:

Lab 50
    UKIP 35
    BNP 10
    Con 5 (!!!)

changes on 2012

Lab -25 (!!!)
    UKIP +35 (!!!)
    BNP -3
    Con -6
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Con hold in Billericay East
    Labour gain Southway-Plymouth
  • Options

MikeK said:

Lab 991
    Con 899
    UKIP 666

UKIP considers both Labour and Tories to be equally repugnant. I make it about 26% for UKIP.,
    not bad for a labour heartland

Hardly a Labour heartland , in the South of England this ward would have a Conservative majority as large as many in Surrey .
    Apologies for calling it Labour land, Mark. Still, we cannot tell the difference.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

O/T - Hearing that the reshuffle may be next week.

What are the odds on Lansley being fired - Uncle John's fickle finger of fate is pointing at him.

He was semi fired last time so there's no odds on him, there's an ante room full of undead semi cabinet ministers who are in limbo due to Cameron's inability to get rid of them.
    What ARE you drivelling about now? Go to bed and don't reappear until I give you permission.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    OT: Any pianists on here? I'm thinking of getting a digital piano in the £500-600 range. I know Yamaha used to be the gold standard but I'm tempted by the new model Casio PX-350. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Lab 755
    UKIP 520
    BNP 146
    CON 80

Share:
    Lab: 50 (-25)
    UKIP 34 (+34)
    BNP 10 (-3)
    Con 5 (-6)
  • Options
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

This could mean that Lansley is for the chop ... or that he's going to end up in Bournemouth by accident ;)

I declare you the naughtiest pbTory that ever did live.

• Options
    Health Concern gain from UKIP in Wyre Forest
  • Options
    @JohnO

I've done much, much worse. I've just been careful not to admit to it on here ;)

We must win some more bets to pay for the next cocktail party!
  • Options

Lab 755
    UKIP 520
    BNP 146
    CON 80

Share:
    Lab: 50 (-25)
    UKIP 34 (+34)
    BNP 10 (-3)
    Con 5 (-6)
    UKIP 35, Carlotta!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

Question for pb-ers.

What do Charlene Downes, Mary Ann Leneghan, Gavin Hopley, Christopher Yates have in common?

Nobody knows their names.
  • Options
    Labour win in Dartford and Plymouth.

Newtown, Dartford result

Lab 536, UKIP 376, Con 268 - Turnout 23.01. Lab gain from Con

Awaiting full Plymouth figures
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Billericay East Result

Andrew Peter Schrader Conservative 790 51%
    Terry Gandy UKIP Local Residents 464 30%
    Lauren Emma Brown Labour 170 11%
    Nigel John Horn Liberal Democrat 128 8%
    Thomas Frank Beaney National Front 3 0%
  • Options
    Sorry I was a bit quick there. Con 376, UKIP 268 in Dartford - Tories second.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Anybody else think Chris Huhne might be at home reading about Ed Balls and thinking to himself, "I should have just done that"?

Well he better be. Is he not still on a curfew?

• Options
    SeanT said:

Question for pb-ers.

What do Charlene Downes, Mary Ann Leneghan, Gavin Hopley, Christopher Yates have in common?

You read about them all on stormfront?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Neil - Alas all my remaining bets with tim don't mature until 2015, and though he's going to lose them all, the misanthropic bugger is refusing to accept my more than generous offer of a 10% discount if he coughs up earlier.

• Options
    UKIP are getting results percentages in all these by elections, far different from YouGov polls.
    Perhaps they should look at their methodology or go out of buisiness.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Now here's a funny thing. I thought I'd amuse myself with a visit to Scot Goes Pop! to see how the indignation is going (very strongly, since you ask).

But the previous article, on escort agencies and disabled punters, is actually rather interesting:

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/rhoda-grant-and-entitlement.html

Richard, did you leave a comment when you visited the 14th most popular blog in Scotland?

I have just done so.
This discussion has been closed.