Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of the June polling decline UKIP are still odds on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of the June polling decline UKIP are still odds on favourites to come top on votes at next year’s Euro

The 4% average poll decline experienced by UKIP last month has not impacted on the betting on next year’s Euro elections. As the chart shows they are still odds on favorite.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Tories more likely to come third than first
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    UKIP will reverse this decline and then some in the run up to the Euros. Look at the polling last time. Tbh any attention their MEPs may be given will just help them.
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited July 2013
    FPT
    Patrick said:

Grandiose

Why? WTF has it got to do with us? We've got plenty of our own issues to sort out. Why do we need to be choosing the least shitty rebel option and spending cash on them? Leave well alone.

Does the government of South Africa or Sweden or China or the Vatican or Argentina or wherever devote any time or energy to worrying how they can waste money and burn their fingers in the Middle East?

Just don't go there.

It was once said that foreign policy was like gardening; it takes time, care, and plenty of steps back. But a well developed foreign policy pays dividends. That has been the logic of two or three hundred years of British foreign policy which sees value to Britain's security and economy from influencing the affairs of other countries because of the effect this has on our relations with that country. That's what the Foreign Office is there to do - get involved; develop relationships.

Non-intervention is a policy in itself - you never leave the issue alone. As much effort and work goes into non-intervention, managing our relationships with those countries that are involved. It was the same in Spain - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-intervention_in_the_Spanish_Civil_War.

If backing Assad is considered the best policy, we should do that, or non-intervention, or backing the rebels. But it will always have something to do with us.
    edited July 2013
    2010 was C: 27.7%, U: 16.5%, La: 15.7%, LD: 13.7%.

16.5% was clearly much greater than their UK GE polling, but I still think it has room to increase. The big question will be over how many votes the Tories lose and whether the 6% lost by Labour last time round will return.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    From guido on the red on scarlet fight - this reads like tim on the PB tories... how coincidental?

A Labour source puts the boot in:

“Don’t worry. Dan’s USP of being 100 per cent wrong 100 per cent of the time is still intact. It’s nonsense to claim we have told people not to criticise Owen Jones.”
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    10/1 looks a very good bet to me and it will look even better if the tories are leading in the Westminster polling by the time the euros come around.

UKIP are a new kid on the block. Their support will be volatile and converse to the support of the government of the day ( I don't think it would be different in Ed gets in in 2015). They are the NOTA faction. Such a faction will usually do well in the euros (since we really don't care about the European Parliament) but maybe not that well.

Does Labour have a european policy at the moment? Is it still to be at the heart of Europe or did that die with the Euro? Other than supporting the team why would Labour supporters vote for the party in Europe? What are they voting for?
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    When you are the front-runner you’ve got to expect a lot more scrutiny and things like the attendance records of UKIP MEPs could be the focus for attacks.
    People may reason that if they vote UKIP, and UKIP succeed in pulling the UK out of the EU, then there will be no UK MEPs, and so zero chance of UK MEPs from any party misbehaving.

Given the all-round awful reputation that elected representatives from all parties have, UKIPs message of not paying to send a bunch to Brussels/Strasbourg might benefit from such attention.

Interesting to note that the Tory share under Cameron in 2009 was 27.7%, but when Hague was leader in 1999 the Tory share was 35.8%. Voters deserting the established parties.

In 2009, the vote share for Others [other than the top four parties] was 26.4%. Possible that this might crossover with the vote share for the party that wins the plurality?

Also worth noting that if Labour fail to win a plurality in the European poll it will be the first time that the Official Opposition have failed to do so since 1984, when the Government topped the poll. That will look very bad if it comes to pass.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Voting ukip in the euros is a risk free way of sticking 2 fingers up at the EU.

Kipper tie nailed on.
    If a candidate for the European Parliament in this area promised if elected not to go, not to claim his wages and not to claim expenses I would vote for him. Total waste of time and space.

I would like to see a European Parliament made up of elected representatives of the national Parliaments. That would give our backbenchers something to do and would be far more representative than what we get at the moment.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,532

From guido on the red on scarlet fight - this reads like tim on the PB tories... how coincidental?

A Labour source puts the boot in:

“Don’t worry. Dan’s USP of being 100 per cent wrong 100 per cent of the time is still intact. It’s nonsense to claim we have told people not to criticise Owen Jones.”

It was quite fun to see the 'I'm more working class than you' argument. To compare the two:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Danczuk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Jones_(writer)

Sorry Owen, Simon wins that one hands down.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Nah, the Tories will come at best second. What was the GEVI in 1999? Labour were well ahead but Hague won the Euros. It's a cost-free exercise in kicking the government. Frankly, 10/1 is stingy. 7/4 with Labour offers more value though is not very exciting.

Labour and UKIP should battle out the top two, the Tories will be clear third, the Greens and Lib Dems will be contending fourth and fifth. Quite how many seats the LDs will get is itself an interesting question. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they face wipeout, though I'd expect them to hold onto one in SE, East and SW. If their GEVI share is still in or near single figures though, they may not.
    With reference to Ashcroft's polling, can we have a round of "Dear Sir, could you name your MEP (any of them), please?"

I consider my politically aware but have almost no idea of the Conservative MEPs' record at Brussels.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Don't forget that in 2009 the council elections held on the same day as the Euros were in the Shire counties , next year they are in mostly Labour areas , primarily the Met districts and London . Do not see anything other than a Labour plurality next year .
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Grandiose said:

With reference to Ashcroft's polling, can we have a round of "Dear Sir, could you name your MEP (any of them), please?"

I consider my politically aware but have almost no idea of the Conservative MEPs' record at Brussels.

No one has any idea on what MEP's do or don't do, so their record is hardly going to matter. In anycase, it's likely that the entire europarliment is seem by most people as being a huge gravy-train anyway, and all MEPs are troughers anyway.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Aye, I still think UKIP will walk to victory.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    10/1 on the Conservatives is a nice bet to have. It's a bet on the Conservatives managing to smooth ruffled feathers and credibly be able to present itself as having done unpalatable but necessary things to its past and present sympathisers. That's perfectly doable. Whether it is actually done, of course, is a different matter entirely.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    DavidL said:

If a candidate for the European Parliament in this area promised if elected not to go, not to claim his wages and not to claim expenses I would vote for him. Total waste of time and space.

I would like to see a European Parliament made up of elected representatives of the national Parliaments. That would give our backbenchers something to do and would be far more representative than what we get at the moment.

It would be far better if they reverted to single-member constituencies. At least people would then stand a much better chance of knowing who their MEP was.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    It will be interesting to see how further revelations about UKIP MEPs are received - on the one hand it could be 'they're all as bad as each other' - and they get a free pass - on the other, it could be 'they're all as bad as each other - and I thought UKIP were different....'

Meanwhile, as the discussion has unaccountably moved on from burgers to 7 days...Labour have more challenges to address:

"Labour will need to find a time to make any referendum pledge that stops it from appearing panicked, panicked, panicked as well."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/07/weak-weak-weak-labour-will-have-to-avoid-looking-panicked-on-any-referendum-pledge/
  • I just noticed a photo of Karl Lagerfeld - got me wondering: Is there a more pretentious git in the world than Karl Lagerfeld? Is there another human being who suffers from a worse case of NBPE?

PB opinons or suggestions much appreciated.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    Where is the Labour candidate?

The list of candidates for the next UK parliament by-election was published yesterday, and there is no Labour party candidate.

There are 23 candidates: 2 Lib Dem, 1 UKIP, 4 Crossbench, 1 undeclared and 15 Conservative.

As the electorate is the whole House of Lords, this means over 28% of the electorate take the Labour whip. A Labour candidate could have won.

As the election is by the alternative vote system, there should be more rounds of transfers than a scottish local by-election.

Voting is on 16 July with results the day after.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/hereditary-peers-by-election-lord-reay-july-2013.pdf

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    UKIP MEPs will only come under greater scrutiny if the Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun decide to nail them. It's hard to see why any of them would want to do this. The better UKIP does, the more Euro-sceptic the Tories will become. Which is exactly what the Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun want.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Patrick said:

I just noticed a photo of Karl Lagerfeld - got me wondering: Is there a more pretentious git in the world than Karl Lagerfeld? Is there another human being who suffers from a worse case of NBPE?

PB opinons or suggestions much appreciated.

What's NBPE?
    NBPE, Mr. Patrick?
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    Patrick..I met Lagerfeld many years ago when he was a struggling artist in Palm Beach, (justified) he was a creep then and nothing seems to have changed.
  • Not Being Punched Enough

The list of candidates for the next UK parliament by-election was published yesterday, and there is no Labour party candidate.

There are 23 candidates: 2 Lib Dem, 1 UKIP, 4 Crossbench, 1 undeclared and 15 Conservative.

As the electorate is the whole House of Lords, this means over 28% of the electorate take the Labour whip. A Labour candidate could have won.

As the election is by the alternative vote system, there should be more rounds of transfers than a scottish local by-election.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/lords-information-office/2013/hereditary-peers-by-election-lord-reay-july-2013.pdf

I like the use of initials: Albermarle, E. ; Ampthill, L. Meaning Earl and Lord respectively, of course...

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

DavidL said:

It would be far better if they reverted to single-member constituencies. At least people would then stand a much better chance of knowing who their MEP was.
    I doubt that would make much difference, as apparently only 22% of people can name their FPTP MP.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22555659

Not that it particularly matters - they mostly vote on party lines, which is usually the rational way to vote.

Ultimately the Euro elections will be big, continent-wide left vs right bun-fights rather than a bunch of disconnected national races, although that'll take a couple of cycles to take root, then a couple more for the British to catch on.
    Cheers.

I am unfamiliar with this Lagerfeld fellow. Surely Ed Balls must be a contender?

DavidL said:

David, I am far more interested in politics than at least 99% of the population and I really couldn't care less.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

UKIP MEPs will only come under greater scrutiny if the Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun decide to nail them. It's hard to see why any of them would want to do this. The better UKIP does, the more Euro-sceptic the Tories will become. Which is exactly what the Telegraph, Express, Mail and Sun want.

And the Sunil?

:)
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    @DavidL

'Does Labour have a european policy at the moment?'

Yes,but subject to frequent change.

So far blank piece of paper,followed by Red refusing a referendum,soon to be followed by manifesto pledge for in/out referendum.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The candidature statements are fantastic.

• Mr Wiffle Stick

Ed Balls gets an 8 out of 10 on the NBPE scale, verging on 9. Likewise Redward.

But Lagerferld gets about 123,976 out of 10. It's hard to look without thoughts of extreme violence bubbling up.
    I know who my Westminster MP is. Jim McGovern. Claim to fame is voting against gay marriage. In England.

Why, more than 2 years into the Parliament has this not been sorted out? I find it really odd.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2013
    Mike - I really don't mean to be critical, but....

I'm not sure the oddschecker piecharts that you embed in your tweetposts actually tell us an awful lot. The pie slices are clearly not proportional to the odds - and can't be related to how much money is being bet (oddschecker won't have access to that info). Rather, it seems to be linked to the number of 'clickthroughs' oddschecker records for each selection. Which is statistical junk.

Anyway, on topic: Not tempted by the tories to win outright - at any odds. I'm maxed out on UKIP on the tory/ukip match bet. Value at anything above 1/3 IMO.
    Then I count myself fortunate to be unfamiliar with him.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    john_zims said:

@DavidL

'Does Labour have a european policy at the moment?'

Yes,but subject to frequent change.

So far blank piece of paper,followed by Red refusing a referendum,soon to be followed by manifesto pledge for in/out referendum.

None of that's relevant to the Euro elections, constitutional stuff is handled by the member states.

What matters for the purposes of these elections is that they vote with the PES.
    Pong said:

Anyway, on topic: Not tempted by the tories to win outright - at any odds. I'm maxed out on UKIP on the tory/ukip match bet. Value at anything above 1/3 IMO.

That is to say, you think there's a greater than 75% chance that UKIP will beat the Tories (is that the right way round?)?
  • He's that poncy git fashion designer who always, always wears tight black trousers, black frock coat, white puffy 17th century shirt, bleached white hair in a quiff and sunshades (indoors). Shudders! (where's my shotgun?)
    Grandiose said:

Pong said:

That is to say, you think there's a greater than 75% chance that UKIP will beat the Tories (is that the right way round?)?
    Well, maybe not greater than 75%, but certainly around that ballpark. Last time I looked, UKIP were available on the match bet at 4/7 (63.6% chance). Hence the value IMO.

I have googled him, though I must say I think Ed Balls retains his top billing on the space cannon list.
  • Fair dinkum. Lagerfeld gets a punch (or ten) and Loretta learns how to orbit the planet. Works for me!
    Mr. Patrick, I must correct you. The space cannon will propel Balls into the heart of the sun. His velocity shall be such that no orbit will be achievable.

It shall bring a new meaning to the song Great Balls of Fire.
    Pong said:

Grandiose said:

Pong said:

Well, maybe not greater than 75%, but certainly around that ballpark. Last time I looked, UKIP were available on the match bet at 4/7 (63.6% chance). Hence the value IMO.

I really just wanted to make sure I had the tenor and terminology of your post right.

F1: just a reminder about the Germany discussion thread here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/germany-early-discussion.html

In addition, Pirelli have announced they're going to strengthen the rear tyres: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23141389

Good that it's ready in time for the next race, but we'll see how things work out.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Pong said:

Grandiose said:

Pong said:

In March UKIP were 2/1 to win the Euros while the Conservatives were 10s...

The match was 4/6 Con 11/10 UKIP and I had people on here arguing with me when I said it was a ricket!

The candidature statements are fantastic.

They do have a much more interesting and diverse background than in the other place
  • Hmmm..

The earth's escape velocity is what - 9km/s? Our orbital velocity about 30km/s? In order to put Loretta into the sun you'll need to not let him go into solar orbit - so basically to stop him dead in the earth's orbital track and let the sun's gravity suck him on down to a fiery end. You'll be needing a muzzle velocity of about 40km/s. I suspect that would not deliver Balls into space so much as deliver a hazy red slodge of Balls flavoured gas into the lower atmosphere with a very loud bang. Also good.

May I respectfully request you deep freeze him in liquid nitrogen prior to launch, so as to increase the chances of the Balls projectile surviving launch intact. Also amusing in its own right.
    Greens to finish 4th?
    isam said:

Pong said:

Grandiose said:

Pong said:

In March UKIP were 2/1 to win the Euros while the Conservatives were 10s...

The match was 4/6 Con 11/10 UKIP and I had people on here arguing with me when I said it was a ricket!

Indeed, 11/10 was screaming value.
  • Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited July 2013
    Patrick said:

He's that poncy git fashion designer who always, always wears tight black trousers, black frock coat, white puffy 17th century shirt, bleached white hair in a quiff and sunshades (indoors). Shudders! (where's my shotgun?)

Are you sure you're confusing him with this guy?

Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen

Mind you he deserves to be ejected from the atmosphere as well.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    The Tories will struggle to reach 20% in my opinion.

The main battle will be between Labour and UKIP, each on about 25%.
    Mr. Patrick, you're quite correct that the Red Mist Phenomenon needs to be rectified (or not). An alternative is a strong capsule into which the ammunition can be placed for delivery into the sun.

Your liquid nitrogen suggestion is intriguing.
    edited July 2013
    Watching India vs Sri Lanka cricket on Sky, there is something lovely about the Indian/Sri Lankan/West Indian commentators use of English. I wouldn't say it is more correct than English commentators, most of whom are well spoken, maybe their phrasing is more old fashioned.

Tried to flag this as off topic but maybe you cant do that for your own posts!
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Dear me, how France has abased itself - and this time I don't mean François Hollande.

That a prosecuting magistrate in the country of Voltaire should be proposing that Marine Le Pen should face charges for these comments is horrifying:

In December 2010, during her party's internal leadership campaign, she made a speech in Lyon that denounced Muslims holding prayers in the streets – at a time when a lack of mosques in France had forced many to pray outside. She likened the outside prayers to an occupation and added: "For those who like to talk about world war two, to talk about occupation, we could talk about, for once, the occupation of our territory. There are no armoured vehicles, no soldiers, but it is an occupation all the same."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/02/marine-le-pen-immunity-lifted

Admittedly they are very silly comments. But that isn't really the point.

In any case, what about this inflammatory text? Shouldn't the author be banned from French schools?

Mais qu’un marchand de chameaux [Mohammed] excite une sédition dans sa bourgade; qu’associé à quelques malheureux coracites il leur persuade qu’il s’entretient avec l’ange Gabriel; qu’il se vante d’avoir été ravi au ciel, et d’y avoir reçu une partie de ce livre inintelligible qui fait frémir le sens commun à chaque page; que, pour faire respecter ce livre, il porte dans sa patrie le fer et la flamme; qu’il égorge les pères, qu’il ravisse les filles, qu’il donne aux vaincus le choix de sa religion ou de la mort, c’est assurément ce que nul homme ne peut excuser, à moins qu’il ne soit né Turc, et que la superstition n’étouffe en lui toute lumière naturelle.
    George Dubya (on CNN):

"Ultimately, history will judge the decisions I made. I won't be around because it's going to take awhile for the objective historians to show up"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/02/dubya_i_introduced_prism_and_i_like_it/

He can but hope.
    Mr. Nabavi, I agree. It'll backfire. Isn't there already a phenomenon of non-Establishment populism sweeping across the continent (thinking of that Grillo chap in Italy)?

Not a Le Pen supporter, but as well as her comments not being worthy of incarceration (at least she didn't say they were 'unkempt') it seems a very dubious move by the EU to decide that immunity for MEPs should be removed from one individual they dislike.
    @isam

I've been thinking that for years about the cricket commentators. Thanks for putting it down in writing though.

Dear me, how France has abased itself - and this time I don't mean François Hollande.

That a prosecuting magistrate in the country of Voltaire should be proposing that Marine Le Pen should face charges for these comments is horrifying:

In December 2010, during her party's internal leadership campaign, she made a speech in Lyon that denounced Muslims holding prayers in the streets – at a time when a lack of mosques in France had forced many to pray outside. She likened the outside prayers to an occupation and added: "For those who like to talk about world war two, to talk about occupation, we could talk about, for once, the occupation of our territory. There are no armoured vehicles, no soldiers, but it is an occupation all the same."

In any case, what about this inflammatory text? Shouldn't the author be banned from French schools?

Mais qu’un marchand de chameaux [Mohammed] excite une sédition dans sa bourgade; qu’associé à quelques malheureux coracites il leur persuade qu’il s’entretient avec l’ange Gabriel; qu’il se vante d’avoir été ravi au ciel, et d’y avoir reçu une partie de ce livre inintelligible qui fait frémir le sens commun à chaque page; que, pour faire respecter ce livre, il porte dans sa patrie le fer et la flamme; qu’il égorge les pères, qu’il ravisse les filles, qu’il donne aux vaincus le choix de sa religion ou de la mort, c’est assurément ce que nul homme ne peut excuser, à moins qu’il ne soit né Turc, et que la superstition n’étouffe en lui toute lumière naturelle.

I think this incident was the spark for a massive row between tim and Socrates a while back... Pas de repetition s'il vous plait!!
    Andy_JS said:

@isam

I've been thinking that for years about the cricket commentators. Thanks for putting it down in writing though.

Cheers!

I think it is Arun Lal & Jeff Dujon on at the moment, very nice

edited July 2013
    IIRC the Tories were genuinely expecting to poll 35-40% in both the 2004 and 2009 Euro elections and were a bit taken aback to only get 26.7% and 27.7% respectively. In 2009 in particular they thought they'd do much better. It wasn't because of UKIP doing well because their vote increased by just 0.4% from 16.1% to 16.5%.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2013
    @Morris Dancer

I would hazard to suggest that your space cannon is a one off project. The cost of making one and the force required to eject the candidate direct into the hear of the sun would be so enormous, it would likely destroy the cannon in the process. Hence the choice would be limited to one person and that person is and can only be Ed Balls.

It's a common problem in jurisdictions with prosecuting magistrates - many of whom are celebrities and/or are avowedly political or are trying to make a name for themselves before going into politics. You see it in the US, too, with prosecutors. That said, I am sure Ms Le Pen is delighted with this turn of events.

Whatever the rights and wrongs why have members of the European Parliament got immunity from anything?
    edited July 2013
    Ooh I say - sweet or salted ?

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3m
    Unite say re Falkirk  - Labour Party must not become " the exclusive preserve of a self-selected metropolitan elite"

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 4m
    Unite say they believe Falkirk row is "a political issue over the future of the Labour party."

Unite accuse Labour leadership of "the mass disenfranchisement of Unite members and other decent men and women in Falkirk"
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited July 2013
    TGOHF said:

Unite accuse Labour leadership of "the mass disenfranchisement of Unite members and other decent men and women in Falkirk"

I'm not sure that Unite have done their case any favours by pointing to the mass enfranchisement they've been involved in.
    rEd was right - DC should be more like Hollande
    zerohedge ‏@zerohedge 19s

HOLLANDE'S GOVERNMENT FIRES ENERGY MINISTER BATHO
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    I don't think that pointing out poor voting records or expenses in the EP will affect UKIP supporters to any significant degree. A UKIP vote in the Euros is a vote to stuff the EU, not to express a measured assessment of how, say, Roger Helmer is getting on.

Possibly "cast a USEFUL vote" works better, on the basios that UKIP lacks many natural allies so willa lways lose any EP vote.
    tim still sticking a big fat worm on the end of his troll fishing hook with "immigration is great" tattoo-ed on it ? Not sure you will get any biters tim after you chased away Socrates...
    @tim

The Le Pen case cited by @RichardNabavi is the same one you kicked off at Socrates about isn't it?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    TGOHF said:

Ooh I say - sweet or salted ?

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3m
    Unite say re Falkirk  - Labour Party must not become " the exclusive preserve of a self-selected metropolitan elite"

Unite say they believe Falkirk row is "a political issue over the future of the Labour party."

Labour should bring back Blair. He would crush McCluskey, Watson and Owen Jones in one swift movement and add about 10% to Labour's polling overnight.
    tim said:

People on the right beginning to recognise the significance of the last governments greatest achievement

"It is not just Germany that will begin to wither away, relinquishing economic, cultural and political clout: Italy will lose a lot of its people, as will Spain, Portugal and Greece. Russia’s decline will be extreme: from a peak of 148.6m in 1995, its population will be just above 100m by the end of the century. Demographic decline will go hand in hand with a reduction in its military and geopolitical reach.

Japan’s slide will be equally drastic: its population will slump from a high of 127.3m in 2010 to just 84.5m by the end of the century. Most shocking of all will be China’s fate, the direct result of its one-child policy: after smashing the 1bn mark for the first time in the 1980s, its population, now at around 1.39bn, will peak at 1.45bn in 2035, before plummeting by 363m to 1.085bn.

By contrast, the minority of Western countries that will grow their populations will see their influence begin to rise again. Britain won’t be alone. America’s population will shoot up from 312m in 2010 to 462m. Australia, Canada and France will also boom.

As one of the surprise winners from the great demographic shifts of the 21st century, the UK is being presented with a huge opportunity, as well as an immense challenge.

The time to prepare is now. For the sake of a new generation of children, and their future prospects and happiness, we cannot afford not to reform our economy."

@JananGanesh: "@AllisterHeath: UK's baby boom will affect economy more than anything Carney does http://t.co/1fUW7M5Vrk" and change European power balance

That should go down well in the Telegraph!

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,532

@Morris Dancer

I would hazard to suggest that your space cannon is a one off project. The cost of making one and the force required to eject the candidate direct into the hear of the sun would be so enormous, it would likely destroy the cannon in the process. Hence the choice would be limited to one person and that person is and can only be Ed Balls.

I am far from being an expert, but does the space cannon actually have to be a cannon-like device, or can some form of electromagnetic railgun be used? Coat Balls in a conductive metal, fire up the capacitors and watch the plasma form ...
    edited July 2013
    Mr. Root, never! The space cannon shall fire a great many people into the heart of the sun!

Mr. Fenster, Blair, as well as being a [MODERATED], was a very good political operator but we mustn't forget how reviled he was when he left or his low-standing now. I suspect he's more loathed than Brown by a distance.

Mr. Jessop, that's another intriguing idea. But what would happen if we coated Balls in a conductive metal, then immersed him in liquid nitrogen and *then* fired him using a railgun (railcannon?)?
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

tim still sticking a big fat worm on the end of his troll fishing hook with "immigration is great" tattoo-ed on it ? Not sure you will get any biters tim after you chased away Socrates...

It's not just about immigration, the birth rate rose across the population.

As for the rest of your post.

Interviewer to Marco Pierre White

"Did you make Gordon Ramsay cry?"

"No, he wanted to cry"
    Alas poor Gordon did not have the skills to make it at the Pantheon of soccer so he was forced to fall back on his alternative career.

The fall in Ukip support must surely prove that you were right tim about the immigration and Essex was wrong. Now back to the Labour civil war..
    @TGOHF

'tim still sticking a big fat worm on the end of his troll fishing hook with "immigration is great" tattoo-ed on it ?'

Still trying to convince himself,nobody in the real world is listening.

After 'no more boom or bust' went down the proverbial, flooding the country with 3-4 million immigrants without the housing or infrastructure to support them,is New Labour's 'greatest achievement'.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Patrick said:

He's that poncy git fashion designer who always, always wears tight black trousers, black frock coat, white puffy 17th century shirt, bleached white hair in a quiff and sunshades (indoors). Shudders! (where's my shotgun?)

Yes - for a fashion designer he is remarkably badly dressed......

Re Le Pen: I am v against any MP or MEP having immunity from prosecution. All should be subject to the law.

The subject matter of the action in France seems remarkably silly as do her comments but I expect she will make hay with the whole action and the European Parliament's inconsistent approach to the immunity question.
    edited July 2013
    @Tim

"China's population...will peak at 1.45bn in 2035"

Not according to some experts who believe the population will peak in about 2020 at 1.36 billion.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    JJ's story this morning about an American Jew denied entry at Heathrow because of alleged anti-semitism has grown legs (& arms) in the blogsphere over the day.....the comments make the Telegraph look like a retirement home for gentlefolks....

http://gatesofvienna.net/2013/07/keeping-a-little-jew-out-of-britain/#comments
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    So quite how is our economy going to grow without immigration?

On this one Tim is right and you are wrong.
    john_zims said:

@TGOHF

'tim still sticking a big fat worm on the end of his troll fishing hook with "immigration is great" tattoo-ed on it ?'

After 'no more boom or bust' went down the proverbial, flooding the country with 3-4 million immigrants without the housing or infrastructure to support them,is New Labour's 'greatest achievement'.

tim said:

People on the right beginning to recognise the significance of the last governments greatest achievement

"It is not just Germany that will begin to wither away, relinquishing economic, cultural and political clout: Italy will lose a lot of its people, as will Spain, Portugal and Greece. Russia’s decline will be extreme: from a peak of 148.6m in 1995, its population will be just above 100m by the end of the century. Demographic decline will go hand in hand with a reduction in its military and geopolitical reach.

Japan’s slide will be equally drastic: its population will slump from a high of 127.3m in 2010 to just 84.5m by the end of the century. Most shocking of all will be China’s fate, the direct result of its one-child policy: after smashing the 1bn mark for the first time in the 1980s, its population, now at around 1.39bn, will peak at 1.45bn in 2035, before plummeting by 363m to 1.085bn.

By contrast, the minority of Western countries that will grow their populations will see their influence begin to rise again. Britain won’t be alone. America’s population will shoot up from 312m in 2010 to 462m. Australia, Canada and France will also boom.

As one of the surprise winners from the great demographic shifts of the 21st century, the UK is being presented with a huge opportunity, as well as an immense challenge.

The time to prepare is now. For the sake of a new generation of children, and their future prospects and happiness, we cannot afford not to reform our economy."

@JananGanesh: "@AllisterHeath: UK's baby boom will affect economy more than anything Carney does http://t.co/1fUW7M5Vrk" and change European power balance

Somehow, Tim, I don't see Labour describing immigration 1997 - 2010 as one of their greatest achievements.

Hasn't Ed already said they were wrong about it?
    tim said:

@JohnZims
    What are the chances of you understanding the piece in the Telegraph, about the same as the Lib Dems topping the Euro poll I'd say.

I for one was disappointed with Ed Conway last night - he covered Mark Carney's first day including his perambulation to the office without any detail on what class of ticket he purchased. Shocking drop in standards.

@tIM

What are the chances of you understanding how unpopular uncontrolled mass immigration is with the electorate,about the same as UKIP forming a majority government in 2015 I'd say.

Robot butlers.

john_zims said:

@TGOHF

What do you mean Mike? As Tim himself points out, we've got a rising birth rate as well. Our economy can grow without net immigration, and certainly without the levels of net migration of the last decade - which we didn't have during previous high-growth periods.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Looking back the poor performance of the Tories in the 2009 Euros was a sign that the party would struggle to get a majority ar GE2010.

I mis-read it at the time.
    Andy_JS said:

IIRC the Tories were genuinely expecting to poll 35-40% in both the 2004 and 2009 Euro elections and were a bit taken aback to only get 26.7% and 27.7% respectively. In 2009 in particular they thought they'd do much better. It wasn't because of UKIP doing well because their vote increased by just 0.4% from 16.1% to 16.5%.

Off topic, I sold my car to a Belgian bloke last week and now am lumbered with a couple of 500 Euro notes! Nowhere will change them up, the bank wont let me pay them in (A Spanish bank!)... any ideas?
    isam said:

Off topic, I sold my car to a Belgian bloke last week and now am lumbered with a couple of 500 Euro notes! Nowhere will change them up, the bank wont let me pay them in (A Spanish bank!)... any ideas?

There was an urban myth that at one time 1/4 of all 500 Euro notes were located in the Spanish Costas due to the Ruskies.

Perhaps a gentlemen's club in Moscow will be more welcoming of your finance ?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2013

It's a common problem in jurisdictions with prosecuting magistrates - many of whom are celebrities and/or are avowedly political or are trying to make a name for themselves before going into politics. You see it in the US, too, with prosecutors. That said, I am sure Ms Le Pen is delighted with this turn of events.

If Le Pen geta a top lawyer, she should make mincemeat of this charge, especially now that Hollands government have banned the wearing of burkers and other face hiding garments.

JJ's story this morning about an American Jew denied entry at Heathrow because of alleged anti-semitism has grown legs (& arms) in the blogsphere over the day.....the comments make the Telegraph look like a retirement home for gentlefolks....

http://gatesofvienna.net/2013/07/keeping-a-little-jew-out-of-britain/#comments

A customs woman in a burqa took a photo of him!! I bet. The comments are great.

• FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Mr. Root, never! The space cannon shall fire a great many people into the heart of the sun!

Mr. Fenster, Blair, as well as being a [MODERATED], was a very good political operator but we mustn't forget how reviled he was when he left or his low-standing now. I suspect he's more loathed than Brown by a distance.

Mr. Jessop, that's another intriguing idea. But what would happen if we coated Balls in a conductive metal, then immersed him in liquid nitrogen and *then* fired him using a railgun (railcannon?)?

I doubt Blair is more unpopular than Brown among the average UK voter. But I base this on zero evidence. I just think Brown trumps most people when it comes to being viscerally dislikeable.

Blair was indeed a very good political operator. His two great (and voter-attracting) skills being his ability to define himself as a man of reason against the loony-left and also the ease with which he continually pushed the Tories to their comfort-zone on the Right.

Cameron, to some extent, is an attempt at a mirror-image, but without the media-love and the political space of a massive majority. Blair probably had a better, more experienced and more on-side top team too.

Mandelson, Campbell, Brown, Cook, Reid, Blunkett, Beckett, Jonathan Powell etc was a fairly hefty and battle hardened outfit, with a collective ideological objective to reform the Labour party as a party of the centre-ground. Whatever your political allegiances, and I'm no Labour fan, Blair was very successful at doing that.

If I were Cameron, I would invest a great deal of attention in to exploring what made Blair so popular. Was it 18 years of Tory rule and time for a change? A supremely weak opposition? A great Labour manifesto? (Did he even have one)? Or something else? Was it his acting skills, his chameleon-ability to steal the moment (the death of Princess Diana, 9/11 etc)?

I don't know what it was, but the voters loved it. Even with Iraq in flames he won with a 60-seat majority*. That's pretty impressive, and pretty hard to swallow for a Tory. Hopefully Cameron will find it easy to emulate.

*On a day when Tom Watson has attracted poor headlines, we must again give great thanks to him for replacing vote-winning Blair with voter-repellent Brown. Thank you Tom.

@Mike Smithson

'So quite how is our economy going to grow without immigration?'

Did I say no immigration?

john_zims said:

@TGOHF

Mike: Isn't the article saying that countries with growing populations are better placed to grow and take advantage of the opportunities that there will be?

So that could mean increased fertility rates and/or immigration. It doesn't mean only immigration.

Though I accept that given that women are generally having fewer babies immigration - of the right sort, with the right support and with the consent of the public (which were not matters which Labour were keen on at all) - is probably the sensible way to go.

Labour's issue is not the policy itself (necessarily) but its deception about what was going on and its failure to get public support for what it was doing and why, especially from its own supporters, plus its failure to ameliorate or deal with the negative consequences of immigration for particular communities or areas.
    isam said:

I'll buy them off you for £385 each if you want.

The post office would give you £378, spot rate is £428 [but you won't get that anywhere]
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    isam said:

The bank is probably breaking the law by not accepting them.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Are there really people celebrating the gigantic Ponzi scheme that is a high birth rate?

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 1m

Am so grateful for all the help Labour is giving us to close the gap in the polls. Love you all!!
    RobD said:

isam said:

The bank is probably breaking the law by not accepting them.
    A cash deposit, that is both significant in size and uncharacteristic behaviour for the customer, especially when made in two large denomination, used notes? I'm not surprised the bank is cautious frankly.

[NB: isam - no asperisons intended, it's just money laundering regulations]
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    @tim

A demographic time bomb would be too many people chasing after too little food/electricity/water/land...
This discussion has been closed.