Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re interested in political betting, and you’re thinking I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing about political betting, then you’ve come to right place.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,644
    I see John Paul II is getting closer to sainthood. Is it just me or are they getting dangerously close at making it too easy to become a saint? I mean, he wasn't pope that long ago, hardly enough to stand the test of time, and already on his way. Now that Popes are retiring as well, how long before one decides to jump start the canonization process while his predecessor is still alive. Only a short step then from declaring themselves living saints.

Seems a bit Roman Emperory, but then I suppose the pope is technically the Pontifex Maximus.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Link 1 from the Staggers gives 5 reasons why Labour will win in 2015 without mentioning any policy or anything nice about it's leader.

They must have seen the internal polling too.
  • Options
    I think Boris going for a third term as mayor is a good idea. He's proven people wrong before and he is popular, but becoming PM one day would still be a hard ask, and I think he'd enjoy retaining a nationally prominent position which would enable him to not rein himself in and toe some party line as rigidly as he would to be leader. It's also much more achievable.

As to why Labour don't defend their spending, it's because even if it did work, very few normal people would believe that.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    tim said:

"Privately, the PM accepts that he must force Ukip down to five per cent if he is to stand a chance"

Benedict Brogan.

A sentence the PB Tories would rather ignore, but is the most significant in any of any in those pieces.

So what happened to your apology?

I switched to eBay to find a small silver frame in which to frame it and when I returned it had gone.

Will there be a repeat?

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The story of Louis "Chip" Cantor being denied entry to the UK, allegedly "because" he is Jewish, seems to have spread on the internet just today, and when I read the story I immediately thought it was full of holes.

I am sort-of assuming that investigative journalists and web-geeks will get to the truth of the story, and will find the other side of the story, find the immigration officers involved, and work out (approximately) what happened. For example, who was the official supposedly in a burqa who took his fingerprints?

Anyway, it reminds me of the picture of the Red Shirt Man shown in the Independent nespaper a few days ago, who was mistaken for being Edward Snowden. Who was he? I had assumed that he would be found, and identified, and would become a media celebrity in the style of the Guy Goma / Guy Kewney story. Why hasn't he been found, identified, traced, and celbrityified?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited July 2013
    FPT in response to Tim:

"All parties in this country who get MPs elected have supported,and support, free movement of labour.
    There's no point complaining that Europe is such an unimportant issue to most people that they won't vote for a party that doesn't believe in free movement.

And as for not being listened to well NIMBY's never bloody stop being listened to and pandered to.
    It's the Englishmans right to buy a new house in a field and then whine about any new houses being built in the next field until the whining becomes so frigging loud that no houses get built and then NIMBY's can spend more of their time blaming immigrants for pushing house prices up."

You're being a tad disingenuous there Tim. There has been plenty of immigration from outside the EU which is in governments' control. People are entitled to expect a government to be honest with them about why - when there is significant unemployment in the country - even poorer people from outside the EU are needed and to get explicit consent for such a policy. They are also entitled to expect that government to make sure that such immigration is managed sensibly and that its effects - both good and bad - are thought about and handled well. None of that was really done by Labour and it is that dishonesty which is now causing them problems politically and pain and anger to many of their constituents.

There was quite an interesting article on precisely this issue by Janice Turner in Saturday's Times when she talked to people in Doncaster both about the effect of immigration and their sense of abandonment by Labour as old industries declined and such jobs as replaced them were taken by people that they felt had been invited in by those who did not have to suffer the consequences. That is a level of disconnect which is worrying and which political parties need to engage with properly not sneer at people because their children aren't as bright as some immigrant children.

Not all immigrants are budding geniuses and entrepreneurs. Some are downright undesirable. Labour failed until relatively late to distinguish between the two.

In a democracy, no matter how good an idea is, you have to get people to agree with it. If you want an open country where good skilled useful people from other countries want to come to live and work in, you have to persuade people here why this is good for them, not just in abstract terms but in what it means for them. And you have to properly listen to what they say not just ignore them or call them bigoted or racist or lie to them saying that they don't have the concerns they have. Labour utterly failed to do it because people like Mandelson had utter contempt for traditional and old-fashioned Labour voters who had stuck with Labour despite the condescension displayed by the people they voted for. (Why they stuck with Labour is for another post perhaps.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. kle4, I concur. On the other hand, I don't care very much.

Interesting question: does anyone know what was unique about Emperor Julian?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see John Paul II is getting closer to sainthood. Is it just me or are they getting dangerously close at making it too easy to become a saint? I mean, he wasn't pope that long ago, hardly enough to stand the test of time, and already on his way. Now that Popes are retiring as well, how long before one decides to jump start the canonization process while his predecessor is still alive. Only a short step then from declaring themselves living saints.

Seems a bit Roman Emperory, but then I suppose the pope is technically the Pontifex Maximus.

At his funeral there were chants in the crowd of "Santo subito" I'm not sure there's any sort of minimum period though. Still if you're not Catholic why would it matter?

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Rob Marchant @rob_marchant

So, economic crisis, NHS in a mess and Labour's big idea is pressuring the Sun to drop Page Three. #priorities http://labourlist.org/2013/07/why-we-should-stop-trying-to-stop-page-three/

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    @Mr_Dancer

He was a Pagan?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Egypt: The Army really steps in.

President Morsi ha been told by the military's top man to go. Reportedly interior ministry forces such as the police etc have been offered up under control of the Army by the Interior Minister on the basis they wont obey the President.

If this is so (and you haven't seen Interior Ministry forces up to much so far) Morsi has few options there than hoping for a compromise with the opposition, who scent blood now, or his support and its associated militias going to war.

Neither looks great...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

At his funeral there were chants in the crowd of "Santo subito" I'm not sure there's any sort of minimum period though. Still if you're not Catholic why would it matter?

Oh, true enough, so it's no worry to me - it just makes saints less interesting to me, especially as without decades or hundreds years of legends about a chosen saint, it makes it seem less impressive. Like Obama getting the Peace Prize so soon into his presidency.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2013
    @tim

Didn't you say this morning that the UNITE story was "overblown" . Isn't it difficult for Ed given that UNITE are accused of unfair tactics not too far removed from those which got Ed elected, to get their "place-"men"" into safe seats. It could open a can of worms..
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    edited July 2013
    @Sunil

That's hardly unique. Most of them were. He might have been the only one to hold office in the Christian church, though.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband hopes his tortoise will prevail over the David Cameron hare

The Labour leader’s calm belies an air of frustration among many MPs and supporters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10154960/Ed-Miliband-hopes-his-tortoise-will-prevail-over-the-David-Cameron-hare.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Did any other Roman emperors leave any writings behind?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Oh, true enough, so it's no worry to me - it just makes saints less interesting to me, especially as without decades or hundreds years of legends about a chosen saint, it makes it seem less impressive. Like Obama getting the Peace Prize so soon into his presidency.
    Yes the Peace Prize for Obama was idiotic. I tend to feel that a longer time is needed to assess - properly - any Pope. For instance, JPII's failure to reform the Vatican bank and to allow Marcinkus to evade justice has led to even more problems which are now slowly coming to light.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013

Good evening, everyone.

Mr. kle4, I concur. On the other hand, I don't care very much.

Interesting question: does anyone know what was unique about Emperor Julian?

Julian was the first Tory to become a 'Roman' Emperor.

He cut costs, headcount and corruption and devolved power to local authorities.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mary Riddell is the anti-Hodges.

• Options
    @antifrank

Yes, Marcus Aurelius famously did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations. And I would be surprised if others didn't - it was a literate age.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, yes... but more importantly he was a pagan *after* Christianity became the official religion and after the emperor was considered Equal of the Apostles and God's vicegerent on Earth. It's a rather odd mix (he was actually rather good).

Mr. Antifrank, I believe you're right that he left writings though I'm not sure if any are extant. Septimius Severus wrote an autobiography, I think, and Marcus Aurelius wrote his general tedious meditations. If he'd spent more time paying attention to his adulterous wife and lunatic son then perhaps the Empire might still be with us.
  • Options
    No doubt some of Labour's policies will be attractive. But the one thing I want to hear is what they will do on taxation and spending. I have no idea.
  • Options
    tim said:

@PickardJE: Mandelson warns vs blank cheque for HS2. Ed Balls now concerned about rising cost. Political consensus fragments. http://t.co/c83D7pkwaQ

That's Darling Mandelson and Balls, looks like HS2 could become a big issue if Labour shifts position.

HS2 has always seemed to me to be a silly idea. There are plenty of good infrastructure projects - a proper airport for London, for instance. Not much confidence that Labour would spend any money saved wisely.

• Options
    Didnt Marcus Aurelius feature in those Ecce Romani books you learned Latin from at school?

That was one bollocks of a subject.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

No doubt some of Labour's policies will be attractive. But the one thing I want to hear is what they will do on taxation and spending. I have no idea.

Plus energy policy - that's another big issue for me. Neither the Coalition nor Labour seem to have the faintest idea what to do.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294

Dr. Prasannan, yes... but more importantly he was a pagan *after* Christianity became the official religion and after the emperor was considered Equal of the Apostles and God's vicegerent on Earth. It's a rather odd mix (he was actually rather good).

Mr. Antifrank, I believe you're right that he left writings though I'm not sure if any are extant. Septimius Severus wrote an autobiography, I think, and Marcus Aurelius wrote his general tedious meditations. If he'd spent more time paying attention to his adulterous wife and lunatic son then perhaps the Empire might still be with us.

Yeah but without him, we wouldn't have the film Gladiator.

Even if it was as accurate as an American war film.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Since the recent moves to take Labour closer to the Conservatives on spending, and, I expect, welfare, I have this suspicion that the Tories might be left in 2015 with all the moral superiority that comes with being right, but none of the votes. We've all been there - win the argument, but have nobody give a damn. Be the Cassandra but nobody notice.
  • Options
    Mr. Y0kel, I must admit I know almost no Latin and never took it at school.

O tempora, o mores!
  • Options
    I've added a new link, number 18

Well worth reading

Anthony Wells looks at the “house effects” of each polling company, that is – the party partisan effects of each company’s methodology

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, whilst Maximus was fictional there was a reasonable level of historical accuracy (for a Hollywood film).

That said, I think Commodus' sister tried to have him killed. On the other hand, that's not unreasonable given he was an incestuous lunatic.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @cyclefree

..be in no doubt Labour will do both. with the accent on spend, and always leaving more people out of work than when they took office.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tykejohnno

'So, economic crisis, NHS in a mess and Labour's big idea is pressuring the Sun to drop Page Three'

Surely that's a policy Red can adopt? / …
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Mr. Eagles, whilst Maximus was fictional there was a reasonable level of historical accuracy (for a Hollywood film).

That said, I think Commodus' sister tried to have him killed. On the other hand, that's not unreasonable given he was an incestuous lunatic.

I never knew Commodus was from Norfolk

::Innocent face::

On my Gladiator blu ray, one of the things they wanted to have in the film, but thought the audience wouldn't believe but was historically accurate, was that the Gladiators had sponsorship deals.
  • Options
    Mr. Zims, potential slogans for E. Miliband:

Tough on boobs, tough on the causes of boobs

24 hours to cover up

Read my lips, no more tits
  • Options
    Some happy news for pb labour.

Why the odds are still on a Labour victory in 2015

The electoral system, UKIP and the strength of the Labour brand all mean that the party is still likely to be the largest after the next election even after a fall in support.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/07/why-odds-are-still-labour-victory-2015
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Ed Miliband hopes his tortoise will prevail over the David Cameron hare

The Labour leader’s calm belies an air of frustration among many MPs and supporters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10154960/Ed-Miliband-hopes-his-tortoise-will-prevail-over-the-David-Cameron-hare.html

'Miliband allies are aghast at the scandal involving Labour’s biggest financial backer. “It’s a real mess,” says one.'

Fools.

Don't they know a good thing when they see it.

It's a carefully honed and crafted Masterstroke.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I cannot be the only one interested in Emma from Croydon's opinion on the Greek debt crisis.

Though perhaps if it was the news in a Burka, rather than the news in briefs, it may be less appealing

john_zims said:

@Tykejohnno

'So, economic crisis, NHS in a mess and Labour's big idea is pressuring the Sun to drop Page Three'

Surely that's a policy Red can adopt? / …

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

• Options
    @Tim

'That's Darling Mandelson and Balls, looks like HS2 could become a big issue if Labour shifts position.'

A big issue based on the views of two clapped out politicians and one economic illiterate?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's funny when reality seems unrealistic. In a future book there's a region that's got one or two Cornish thingummyjigs, but I can't use the names Ventongimps or Mousehole (even though they're real places) because they just sound so made up.

I didn't know the sponsorship fact, but if you want to read up on gladiators I can heartily recommend the informative and amusing Unofficial Manual by Philip Matyszak. For a more sombre and in-depth look, Fik Meijer wrote an excellent book (Gladiators: History's Most Deadly Sport, or suchlike).
  • Options
    FPT, if Labour don't win the Euros next year, Ed Miliband will join Neil Kinnock as the only opposition leader not to win a Euro election held in a non GE year.
  • Options
    @Morris

I am not sure Christianity became the official religion until Theodosius. Contantine the Great promoted Christianity, and banned persecution of Christians, but still tolerated pagan religions, for example he was identified with Sol Invictus on coinage, and included pagan ceremonies in the consecration of Constantinople.
  • Options
    The left and right of politics on front of independent and express papers.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/81211/daily_express_wednesday_3rd_july_2013.html
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, good to see you on.

Being official and being mandatory/banning other forms of worship are not necessarily the same thing. Didn't Theodosius come up with the term catholic (as in universal) church?
  • Options
    F1: Pirelli makes a statement on the tyres:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23155008
  • Options

F1: Pirelli makes a statement on the tyres:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23155008

Did you know Pirelli is Latin for "Tyres designed by Hannibal"
  • Options

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

'Sine' means tits?
  • Options
    @tim

You must be torn. Heathrow could be used to house 100,000 new immigrants if a new airport was built somewhere more sensible.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Tim

If you were smarter you would realize how ridiculous Labour looks every time it does a u-turn,austerity,welfare,cuts,education the list is endless.
  • Options
    @Morris

According to Wikipedia the term dates from the 2nd century, but in 380 Theodosius in the Edict of Thessalonica decreed that all citizens of the Empire should follow Nicene (ie catholic) Christianity.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the exploded tyres were still in better shape than the Roman army of 80,000 after Cannae.

And with that flawless victory, I bid you goodnight.
  • Options
    What a bunch of wusses Labourlist are 'Your comment is awaiting moderation' Pah!
  • Options
    From Jeremy Heywood: "“There is a very, very long way to go. We were reminded only last week that the economy as a whole remains about 4 per cent below the size that it was in 2008.
    “Five years on from the bottom of the recession we have still not even near recovered all the output we lost in that terribly deep recession that we suffered in 2007-08.

“Those are really daunting numbers that just show the size of the challenge; there is no alternative.”

Labour's legacy.......

• Options
    @Tykejohnno

Hilarious Red's frightened of a kid.

'“…just about the only person who hasn’t properly felt Jones’s progressive wrath is Ed Miliband himself. And Labour’s leader wants things to stay that way. In particular, he’s desperate to keep him onside over his stance – or non-stance – on welfare. “Ed’s terrified of being attacked on welfare,” said one MP. “At the last PLP meeting he did a presentation of polling on the key battleground issues. There was no polling on welfare. Nothing. Ed just doesn’t want it seen as a battleground issue.”"
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @john_zims Hilarious Red's frightened of a kid.

It seems so ,lol,a good line the tories should be using ;-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HS2 is becoming a joke ! Of course, it will never be built. A quarter of that money can be spent upgrading our railways. OK it will take 15 mnutes longer to go to Birmingham from London.

Regarding regeneration of the North: I am not entirely convinced that HS2 will help the North anymore than it would help London. It is the price tag that comes with it.

Direct investment in the North is much better.

Regarding Heathrow, Labour should come fully and unequivocally in support. Labour is the party of employment. It cannot be against the expansion of Heathrow. Let the Tories and the Lib Dems oppose it. There should be a clear choice available to the voters.
  • Options
    tim said:

@tim

You must be torn. Heathrow could be used to house 100,000 new immigrants if a new airport was built somewhere more sensible.

I assume that the people who oppose a runway would also oppose new housing.
    Unlike planes, Houses don't tend to make much noise as they land/take-off :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    More great news for Ed

@DJack_Journo
    Labour has seized control of 14 constituency parties over attempts to manipulate selections & exert unfair influence - @thetimes splash
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited July 2013

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

'Sine' means tits?
    " Seno " means bosom . Is that what you're asking ?

• Options
    If wanting to stimulate the economy of the North and Midlands with an infrastructure project, then it would be better to build a new pair of Runways at Birmingham or Manchester.

Drop the green taxes for longhaul flights to these airports for five years introductory period, and a very large number of airlines would transfer.

New airport, jobs in the Midlands and North. Job done.

Makes much more sense than HS2 to me.
    surbiton said:

HS2 is becoming a joke ! Of course, it will never be built. A quarter of that money can be spent upgrading our railways. OK it will take 15 mnutes longer to go to Birmingham from London.

Regarding regeneration of the North: I am not entirely convinced that HS2 will help the North anymore than it would help London. It is the price tag that comes with it.

Direct investment in the North is much better.

Regarding Heathrow, Labour should come fully and unequivocally in support. Labour is the party of employment. It cannot be against the expansion of Heathrow. Let the Tories and the Lib Dems oppose it. There should be a clear choice available to the voters.

• Options

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

'Sine' means tits?

Is that modern Italian? I think "sine" derives from Latin "Sinus", probably also the root of "seno".
  • Options
    @Scott_P

Unite led Labour party?
  • Options
    Egypt: Morsi says no.

Reportedly President Morsi has reiterated again this evening that he is going nowhere and the army can forget their ultimatums.

Whether is an absolute no, or a a case of cant be seen as retreating in the face of such a threat but will sort something out is unclear.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

'Sine' means tits?

"Sinus" can also mean "bosom", but I can't see "sine" being a case of that.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

From Jeremy Heywood: "“There is a very, very long way to go. We were reminded only last week that the economy as a whole remains about 4 per cent below the size that it was in 2008.
    “Five years on from the bottom of the recession we have still not even near recovered all the output we lost in that terribly deep recession that we suffered in 2007-08.

“Those are really daunting numbers that just show the size of the challenge; there is no alternative.”

Labour's legacy.......

Osborne is in charge. USA flying already, well above 2008. All we want is growth ...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @tim

Want to form a union to take over Labour through entryist tactics? It cant be that hard.

On HS2 I think you'll find the monumental mistake happened under Labour so we should keep quiet about that.
  • Options
    Yes, Ed is really sticking it to Len

@PickardJE
    Seems 27/56 Labour candidates selected for 2015 have Unite links. Comes as Miliband urged to publish Falkirk report. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06c14a8e-e338-11e2-bd87-00144feabdc0.html

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

Absolutely right! They should massively expand Ringo Starr Airport in Liverpool (plenty of northern characters seem keen enough on the noise, the upheaval and the pollution when it's down south) and give us Berkshire residents a few minutes peace throughout the day. Personally I'd see Heathrow raised to the ground and salt sown in the ashes - ghastly, ugly, filthy thing that it is!
  • Options
    Mail front ,Qatada'To be booted out by sunday'

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/81213/the_daily_mail_wednesday_3rd_july_2013.html

If true,What a great home secretary Theresa may turning out to be.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Grandiose said:

24 hours to cover up

No more boobs and bust.

'Sine' means tits?

"Sinus" can also mean "bosom", but I can't see "sine" being a case of that.
    According to Wiki:

Etymologically, the word sine derives from the Sanskrit word for chord, jiva*(jya being its more popular synonym). This was transliterated in Arabic as jiba جــيــب, abbreviated jb جــــب . Since Arabic is written without short vowels, "jb" was interpreted as the word jaib جــيــب, which means "bosom", when the Arabic text was translated in the 12th century into Latin by Gerard of Cremona. The translator used the Latin equivalent for "bosom", sinus (which means "bosom" or "bay" or "fold") [7][8] The English form sine was introduced in the 1590s.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Y0kel said:

Egypt: The Army really steps in.

President Morsi ha been told by the military's top man to go. Reportedly interior ministry forces such as the police etc have been offered up under control of the Army by the Interior Minister on the basis they wont obey the President.

If this is so (and you haven't seen Interior Ministry forces up to much so far) Morsi has few options there than hoping for a compromise with the opposition, who scent blood now, or his support and its associated militias going to war.

Neither looks great...

IMO the least worst option for Egypt would be if Morsi just calls new elections. Sadly he won't do it because he knows he won't win. My guess is he'd actually prefer a Coup - that way the MB can play the victim & keep the Qutbian narrative pure.

Interesting (and dangerous) times.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The left and right of politics on front of independent and express papers.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/81211/daily_express_wednesday_3rd_july_2013.html

FPT - for Mr Dancer

Patrick's favourite, a Mr. Lagerfeld, is on the front page of the independent as well
  • Options
    Jim Pickard @PickardJE

Seems 27/56 Labour candidates selected for 2015 have Unite links. Comes as Miliband urged to publish Falkirk report. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06c14a8e-e338-11e2-bd87-00144feabdc0.html

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Birmingham and Manchester are both keen to have more international flights, and have the air corridors to serve them, without building an Island.

Manchester airport would be a better bet, with a very high number of people within 90 minutes drive.

Heathrow is horrible, and has so many delays at peak periods, in part because there is no spare capacity.

Absolutely right! They should massively expand Ringo Starr Airport in Liverpool (plenty of northern characters seem keen enough on the noise, the upheaval and the pollution when it's down south) and give us Berkshire residents a few minutes peace throughout the day. Personally I'd see Heathrow raised to the ground and salt sown in the ashes - ghastly, ugly, filthy thing that it is!
  • Options
    How much better for Ed can his failure to stand up to Len get?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/06c14a8e-e338-11e2-bd87-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2XvUcUe3l
    one Labour MP said the situation was “bad for the party”.

“Ed talks about a new ‘open politics’ but this is going on behind the scenes,” he said. “Falkirk may be the most graphic example but this is going on across the country. The public don’t like it and you can’t fix the public.”
  • Options
    Pong said:

IMO the least worst option for Egypt would be if Morsi just calls new elections.

Why should he call elections? He won a free and fair ballot one year ago. I find it extraordinary how little attachment some pbc-ers have to democracy when it comes to potential coups in Turkey and Egypt and the like.
  • Options
    Most aircraft accidents happen on approach to landing. The prevailing wind at Heathrow is westerly and therefore most aircraft approach over the enormous London built-up area and the City itself. Watch the people currently supporting an expansion of Heathrow run for cover and claim they supported a 'Boris Island' to the east when the first Jumbo or A380 smacks down into the built up area. Remember the hysteria when a small helicopter hit a crane recently, and think on what the risk was when the recent BA own-goal circled back on one engine (which was also damaged) and came in over the city again rather than divert to Luton or Stanstead over open country...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    'Expanding regional airports is irrelevant to that decision.'

Turn Manchester or Birmingham into a hub. Or build on another site in the Midlands or further North.

What's the problem?

I'm sure the locals would welcome an airport the size of Heathrow with open arms.
  • Options
    tim said:

Sorry wrong link

@suttonnick: Wednesday's FT front page - "‘Monumental mistake’ fears shatter consensus on HS2" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/sFLXDRSZLL

Tim,how long have labour been in favour of the HS2 project ? wouldn't that be looked on as cynical or desperate from the opposition/labour if they went against HS2 ,I kept hearing from labour MP's that the HS2 would be good for the northern economy.

Mind you,I think it's a waste of money ;-)

• Options
    27/56 Labour candidates selected for 2015 have Unite links

Why should this surprise anyone? Labour is the political wing of the unions after all.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    edited July 2013
    Useless fact:

I am having a walk around Manchester city centre at the moment.

Looks like the tram system is being renovated and extended.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cyclefree said:

Labour's legacy.......

Osborne's legacy. Austerity isn't working. Paul Krugman was right. Ed Balls was right. History was right. We are falling behind the Americans because Osborne chose austerity which, as predicted, has paradoxically cost even more.

• Options

Labour is the political wing of the unions after all.

Shhh. Ed doesn't want people to know that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Shhh. Ed doesn't want people to know that.

Ed cant stop people having a clue, Scott!
  • Options
    PoliticsHome @politicshome

Wednesday's Times front page: Labour forced to step in as union takes over key seats http://polho.me/11etkGG

• Options
    Oh yes, Ed really sticking it to the unions
    The party was forced to admit that 14 Labour constituency parties are under “special measures”, a status that requires extra vetting of new members and central control of selection contests. The mechanism was introduced to prevent a return to the militant movement of the 1980s, which saw hostile takeovers of constituency parties and local councils.

Falkirk is the only constituency on the list, connected to union malpractice.
    Oh, wait...

• Options
    Neil said:

Pong said:

IMO the least worst option for Egypt would be if Morsi just calls new elections.

Why should he call elections? He won a free and fair ballot one year ago. I find it extraordinary how little attachment some pbc-ers have to democracy when it comes to potential coups in Turkey and Egypt and the like.
    Indeed. Obviously I have no real sense if Morsi is as bad as his critics say, but when his supporters say he won fairly and has only been in place a year so what did people expect in a year, there is certainly at the least an element of truth there, which makes one think about the other issues with more doubt, rightfully or not.
  • Options
    I do not understand why the Brummy turned merseysider is so against infrastructure developments in the North, where there is both the space and the desire to expand the existing excellent air ports.

There is plenty of potential for a second hub, and the investment in the North would be both direct and also indirect.

Why would a Chinese tycoon build an office in Manchester if he can only fly to/from Heathrow?

If there are direct flights to Manchester, and with good access to the motorways, most of the rest of the North, then the investment there will be much more.

I live about equidistant between Manchester and Heathrow, and vastly prefer flying from Manchester if possible. I am not the only one as the flights get booked up quickly.

The political advantages to the coalition are also vast:

A Heathrow expansion, or Boris Island, would lose votes and seats in the South East, but expanding the Manchester (or Bham, or both) airport would prove that the coalition has faith and belief in the resurection of the North as Britains economic powerhouse. It is very likely to command considerale support in the region.

The depiction of the Tories as a London/South East party would be much harder.

tim said:

Birmingham and Manchester are both keen to have more international flights, and have the air corridors to serve them, without building an Island.

Manchester airport would be a better bet, with a very high number of people within 90 minutes drive.

Heathrow is horrible, and has so many delays at peak periods, in part because there is no spare capacity.

The country need a hub airport and aheathrow need expanding, or closing and building somewhere else.
    Expanding regional airports is irrelevant to that decision.
  • Options
    Just to recap Ed's big fight with the unions for our slower readers

14 constituencies are in special measures, 1 due to union activity

meanwhile of the candidates declared for 2015, half are linked to Unite

I bet Len is quaking now. Maybe he should be standing at the despatch box tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    john_zims said:

@Tim

If you were smarter you would realize how ridiculous Labour looks every time it does a u-turn,austerity,welfare,cuts,education the list is endless.

Labour are hardly alone in making frequent u-turns, so if it makes them look ridiculous, that applies across the board. Since I like to think I give the government a reasonable chance when they make one, I find I have to with Labour too.
  • Options
    Blofelds_CatBlofelds_Cat Posts: 154
    john_zims said:

@Tim

Mr Zims, if tim was smarter, he wouldn't be posting 24/7 on a blog
  • Options
    To serve the new runway?

You heard it here first!
    Andy_JS said:

Useless fact:

Andy_JS said:

Useless fact:

• Options
    Democracy, Labour style
    The majority of the cases relate to local attempts to influence party politics orchestrated by prospective candidates or others with a vested interest. The most recent is in Slough, which was taken under central control in July last year after 400 people were signed up illegitimately in an attempt to depose local councillors and sway the outcome of a planning decision. Party sources admitted that it was a year after concerns were raised before the arrangement was introduced.

Others include a string of seats in Birmingham, a clutch in East and West London and two in Oldham. Many of them have been under special measures for more than a decade.
    paywall
  • Options
    A new runway would be an excellent stimulus in Manchester!

;-)
    tim said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour's legacy.......

Osborne's legacy. Austerity isn't working. Paul Krugman was right. Ed Balls was right. History was right. We are falling behind the Americans because Osborne chose austerity which, as predicted, has paradoxically cost even more.

Osbornes boasts about austerity reducing the deficit while he criticised US stimulus look very silly now.
    Even the PB Tories have surely recognised that now.
    Although they seem to always find someone else to blame for Osborne having to find £245 Billion extra to fund current spending after his experiment failed.
  • Options
    tim said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour's legacy.......

Although they seem to always find someone else to blame for Osborne having to find £245 Billion extra to fund current spending after his experiment failed.
    True enough, though I don't blame them for that- I cannot forget seeing the Tories being blamed for things 13 years into a Labour government (only just transitioning into 'so fear what they will do if they get in'), so I think for their first (and only in all probability) term, I think the government essentially has a free pass to cock up and still pin it on Labour, while the effects of the last government are at least fresh in the memory.

• Options
    edited July 2013

I do not understand why the Brummy turned merseysider is so against infrastructure developments in the North, where there is both the space and the desire to expand the existing excellent air ports.

There is plenty of potential for a second hub, and the investment in the North would be both direct and also indirect.

Why would a Chinese tycoon build an office in Manchester if he can only fly to/from Heathrow?

If there are direct flights to Manchester, and with good access to the motorways, most of the rest of the North, then the investment there will be much more.

I live about equidistant between Manchester and Heathrow, and vastly prefer flying from Manchester if possible. I am not the only one as the flights get booked up quickly.

The political advantages to the coalition are also vast:

A Heathrow expansion, or Boris Island, would lose votes and seats in the South East, but expanding the Manchester (or Bham, or both) airport would prove that the coalition has faith and belief in the resurection of the North as Britains economic powerhouse. It is very likely to command considerale support in the region.

The depiction of the Tories as a London/South East party would be much harder.

tim said:

The country need a hub airport and aheathrow need expanding, or closing and building somewhere else.
    Expanding regional airports is irrelevant to that decision.
    Media City Salford is good enough for the BBC.

I'm sure the Peel Group would jump at the chance to tarmac over one of their landbank sites in the North, and build a hub on the 33,000 acres that they own.

'Its long-term aim is to make the North West of England the leading economic region in the United Kingdom.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_Group

They already own Liverpool Airport.

Perfect.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

Labour are hardly alone in making frequent u-turns, so if it makes them look ridiculous, that applies across the board. Since I like to think I give the government a reasonable chance when they make one, I find I have to with Labour too.
    and when the coalition do make a U-turn,labour jump on the bandwagon of attacks,so when labour are u-turning on nearly every policy,it's reasonable we and the tories jump on that passing wagon of criticism ;-)

• Options
    edited July 2013

kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

and when the coalition do make a U-turn,labour jump on the bandwagon of attacks,so when labour are u-turning on nearly every policy,it's reasonable we and the tories jump on that passing wagon of criticism ;-)

Yes, but it means neither can claim the high ground. Which is fine, but of course when jumping on the bandwagon one has to pretend to not realize neither has the high ground. All in good fun though - there are few things as amusing as a politician explaining why a u-turn is not a u-turn.

Night all.
This discussion has been closed.