Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s Daily Mail front page is one of the most controvers

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s Daily Mail front page is one of the most controversial in a long time

Where the Daily Mail is different is that it seeks to put at least part of the blame onto “Welfare UK” and in doing so, I’d suggest, minimises what Philpott did.

Read the full story here

Comments

• asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    What we have here is a tragedy. Trying to score political points off it is vile.

• SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “Man who bred 17 babies by five women to milk benefits system is guilty of killing 6 of them”

Personally I do not think the Daily Mail seeks to excuse this vile couple by proportioning some blame on “Welfare UK” – What it does do imo, is expose the underbelly of welfare dependence and illustrates perfectly the point that for some, ‘welfare’ is not a safety net, but a career option. – If the Liberal Left finds that uncomfortable to accept, unlucky..!
  • redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited April 2013

What we have here is a tragedy. Trying to score political points off it is vile.

This story is crass generalising on something which is very specific. He is a bad guy whether on or off welfare. A tv drama series on him, a sort of "Shameless plus" would be construed as fantasy and not believeable. Sadly it is all true.

As for whether it works, we can see what the power of the media is in North Korea, where everyone speaks with one voice as that is what they have read and learned.

I think many of the daily mail readership will agree that 17 kids to 5 women and being paid welfare allowing him to live comfortably is a disgrace, and the nuances Mike alludes to about the story being contrived may be missed in a vox pop barrage of disquiet against all those less fortunate and that the blame therefore lies primarily with the poor.

I do genealogy and not many people on the census' of 100 years ago are not working, but welfare beneficiaries initially through no fault of their own start a downward spiral from one generation to another of expectation for financial support for doing nothing, and choosing to do so. That aspect is the one that hits the jackpot here for the Daily Mail; the expectation that this chap has produced offspring who have no hope and never will have.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    On topic, the Mail are pursuing a deep-rooted internet practice called "trolling". Knock it if you like, but it's making them one of the most successful newspaper websites in the world.

I don't suppose there's any point in asking people to stop feeding them?
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2013
    For me this diminishes the killing of the children; it makes them seem less human, just welfare babies
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Please note

Philpott was convicted on manslughter not murder.
  • "The electoral question is whether the Mail approach will resonate and help Osborne or whether it comes over as being too contrived. My view is that it is the latter."

Mike Smithson in shock criticism of Daily Mail - will the luvvies ever forgive him? Tim, BenM, Pork Tec to boycott site:).... PLEASE!
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2013
    It's the Mail. If you don't know what Dacre is and how he operates then you deserve to be fed on a diet of his excrement.

If it gets the far right nutcases furiously w*nking then it's served it's purpose almost as much as "Hurrah for the blackshirts!" Which, as everyone knows, is not only fully representative of every Mail story ever but every newspaper story too. Since that's how Mail 'logic' works.

Speaking of which,
    michael girling ‏@mikejgirling 6h

You will all remember the same Daily Mail headline vilifying the wealthy middle class when this happened right? http://metro.co.uk/2008/09/02/millionaire-killed-his-family-and-himself-456923/
    "The electoral question is whether the Mail approach will resonate and help Osborne"

We'll find out if any enterprising journalist asks him Cammie or IDS whether they think the welfare system turns people into child killers. Would even any of his lot seriously answer "yes"?
    Quite. Not a very good idea unless Cammie really does want the tories to be the nasty party again and somehow thinks that's going to help his electoral chances.

Clegg may even have to emerge from his slumber to distance himself and his party from this since the lib dem voters they have left are somewhat unlikely to approve of these kind of extremist lunatic 'tactics'.

Even on a tabloid level it's a failure because apart from the clunkingly obvious controversy aspect every other tabloid knew enough that it's Philpott who is the story and used him and his actions directly to get readers past the front page if they want all the details on the tragedy. Crass and imbecilic political posturing obscures the crime and criminal as well as creating bogus justification and excuses for what Philpott did.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,519
    A comment (either made by, or attributed to) the police after the verdict made a link between their actions in starting the fire and the desire to get more benefits.

As for the link between Philpott and welfare: was the way he lived his life good for his wife and mistresses, society and even more importantly, his children? If you think it was not, then you should accept that he was manipulating the welfare system for as much as he could, and the welfare system allowed it.

Witness the way he had been trying to get a larger house.

In his case the welfare system was not a safety net: it was a lifestyle.
    edited April 2013

A comment (either made by, or attributed to) the police after the verdict made a link between their actions in starting the fire and the desire to get more benefits.

This 'comment', did it justify blaming the welfare system for his actions?
    If a detective had mentioned he was catholic or jewish and somehow felt this crime was 'god's will' would that then have justified the Mail blaming either of those religions for the crime?

"As for the link between Philpott and welfare: was the way he lived his life good for his wife and mistresses, society and even more importantly, his children?"

Do you seriously believe his 'lifestyle' is anything other than a product of his own twisted motivations and despicable intent? Do you think every criminal insurance fire that results in deaths and tragedy are the fault of the insurance system, the criminal justice system or the perpetrator?

"and the welfare system allowed it."

The welfare system is policed and sends people to jail for fraud when it is uncovered. You cannot extrapolate one tragic case to millions unless you have had the kind of colossal IQ failure the Mail displays.

This Mail story is very revealing but not in the way those praising or justifying it seem think. That they cannot see how is hardly surprising.

• FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

More LDs than Cons support the Coalition (70/64).
    More Cons than LDs oppose the Coalition (31/26)

Signs of growing dissatisfaction leading to more division?
  • @Mick pork "The welfare system is policed and sends people to jail for fraud when it is uncovered. You cannot extrapolate one tragic case to millions unless you have had the kind of colossal IQ failure the Mail displays."

Why is it necessary to insult those with a different view to your own? Since when do you need a high IQ TO express acceptable opinions?
    scampi said:

Why is it necessary to insult those with a different view to your own? Since when do you need a high IQ TO express acceptable opinions?

I'm insulting the 'logic' that thinks it's acceptable to extrapolate this one tragic case perpetrated by an evil bastard to millions who have self-evidently not done as he did simply because they are in receipt of welfare.

Hardly a surprise you still don't understand. Stick to the Mail, it's certainly aimed at your level.

• I see Hollande's ex budget minister admits 'reordering' €600000 in offshore bank account. However, this one example of hypocracy among leftie politicians can in no way be seen as typical of the 'do as I say not as I do' brigade.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Good luck to any political party that seeks to use the depraved actions of a child killer as a stick with which to beat the welfare state. My guess is that for any politician seeking to get into government this would be a step too far. Most voters will see Philpott for what he is. The Mail has a very specific agenda and a certain kind of readership.
  • @Mick pork
    "Hardly a surprise you still don't understand. Stick to the Mail, it's certainly aimed at your level."

QED. Tackle the man not the argument.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: RT @TelegraphNews: The market trader who challenged Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week is receiving three times that amount himself http://soa.li/Aq11zNK
    scampi said:

@Mick pork "The welfare system is policed and sends people to jail for fraud when it is uncovered. You cannot extrapolate one tragic case to millions unless you have had the kind of colossal IQ failure the Mail displays."

You don't. It's not a matter of IQ, it's a matter of judgement. Blaming the deaths of those six children on the welfare state may exhibit a lack of judgement and political antennae.

Good luck to any political party that seeks to use the depraved actions of a child killer as a stick with which to beat the welfare state.

QED. Those excusing this cretinous bile seem intent on ignoring the argument and deflecting from the obvious stupidity of it because they know they cannot defend it credibly.

@Mick

"Do you seriously believe his 'lifestyle' is anything other than a product of his own twisted motivations and despicable intent? Do you think every criminal insurance fire that results in deaths and tragedy are the fault of the insurance system, the criminal justice system or the perpetrator?"

He could not have lived that lifestyle if the welfare system had not enabled it. His wife and mistresses worked, but he did not. And the comparison in your last sentence is ridiculous.

I think the 'evil' angle being used by some people is worse than the welfare angle. The three did a stupid thing that had evil consequences. But they intended to rescue the children - that is why they were tried for manslaughter, not murder. In my mind they are not evil, just incredibly self-centred and stupid.

"The welfare system is policed and sends people to jail for fraud when it is uncovered. You cannot extrapolate one tragic case to millions unless you have had the kind of colossal IQ failure the Mail displays."

That is an important question: how widespread are such abuses of the system? Is Philpott a one-off, or are many such people milking the system to various degrees? We do not know. Philpott is an extreme, but there could well be many people living less extreme, but equally odious, lifestyles off the state.

And this was evidently not seen as being fraudulent - it was allowed under the system.

Another thing that needs mentioning is that apparently the children were not considered at risk. Which makes the incredible levels of stupidity by the three people convicted yesterday even more staggering.
  • @SouthamObserver

" The Mail has a very specific agenda and a certain kind of readership."

I try to read all the main broadsheets and tabloids - I think your statement is true of most of them - one important difference being that the Mail is more popular than most of the others. Does not make it right but may make it more significant.
  • IHWIHW Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes

@OwenJones84 You are in denial - in Court it was explicitly stated that he wanted the kids he had with ex under his roof for the benefits.

@hblondon He was evil, however his motivation - as stated in Court - was to regain the £1,000 in benefits lost when his ex took her kids.
    edited April 2013

It's not a matter of IQ, it's a matter of judgement. Blaming the deaths of those six children on the welfare state may exhibit a lack of judgement and political antennae.

Actually it's both since you self-evidently need the requisite intelligence to understand why it's a massive failure of judgement and political antennae.

I feel very comfortable calling the 'justifications' and blaming millions for one depraved man's actions idiotic since it quite clearly is and simply doesn't stand up to any sort of serious scrutiny.

• davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    edited April 2013
    As in so many tragic cases including one human being killing others, the core issue is falling by the wayside. This man is a truly evil pile of filth who had previously tried to viciously kill an ex girlfriend. He got 7 years for that. The fact that he then regained his freedom meant he was able to commit another even more horrendous and devastating act of violence, this time killing six innocent children.

You can all moan (or not), about the causes, his lifestyle, the benefits he recieved, the vileness of the Jeremy Kyle show, whatever? The basic fact is he should have remained locked up for the remainder of his life after the first attack. There are too many second chances for scum like this. Now six kids are dead, for that I blame a liberal and extremely weak justice system that refuses to protect society from those who are truly evil and a pure danger to others. Stuff rehabilitation for such lowlives, if you commit evil acts then you should go away for good. May he be let into the general prison population this time and face the consequences, he has no place on this Earth now.

I would say nothing different if he was rich, poor, black, brown, white, gay, straight, male, female....whoever. I am an atheist, but I hope I am proved wrong and there is a hell for him. In fact, society should be sending him there by a direct route.
  • " Actually it's both since you self-evidently need the requisite intelligence to understand why it's a massive failure of judgement and political antennae."

Lol clearly we should act quickly to amend the electoral system and only allow the vote to the clever dicks!
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Take a family with two children. One girl, 9 , the other a boy 7. 3 bedrooms. One too many the government says. They have to pay £14 a week in "bedroom tax".

What are they supposed to do ? Move to a new accomodation for one year with all its attendant costs and hassle ? Because next year they would not have to pay the tax.

I think this is indeed a tax. Realistically, I can see what else they can do. What if they can't find a 3 bedroomed house/flat the following year.

This will bite back once the stories get round. Precisely, at the time millionaires are getting a huge cut in their taxes !

• redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited April 2013
    Philpott clearly thought that without that house he would get a bigger one.

One cannot blame the welfare state per se for the childrens deaths, but at a simplistic level one can blame the false expectation that a succesful player of the welfare system believed he could get away with.

Having got away with silly games for years the tightening required from the authorities for common sense to kick in never came as Philpott genuinely believed he could pull off another scam.

With 17 kids and 5 women and a track record of violence, the fact this guy was not even monitored does to me apportion some blame in their direction.
    @afneil: Not seen Daily Mail but is it really true that back in Blighty you can have 17 kids by 5 women, not do a day's work and send the bill to us?
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Perfectly fair headline by The Mail. Had this character been employed to the heights of his abilities - i.e. apprentice sh*t shoveller - then he'd have had neither the opportunities nor the energies to plot and orchestrate his hideous deeds. It was the state-sponsored life of leisure that allowed this man to run amok. One sees it all the time around grotty town centres - bored kids who have nothing to do with their time other than cause havoc, and the State is paying them to do it. The underclass needs a full day's work before going to bed comfortably tired. Anti-social behaviour would vanish in a trice!
    Mick_Pork said:

It's not a matter of IQ, it's a matter of judgement. Blaming the deaths of those six children on the welfare state may exhibit a lack of judgement and political antennae.

Actually it's both since you self-evidently need the requisite intelligence to understand why it's a massive failure of judgement and political antennae.

I feel very comfortable calling the 'justifications' and blaming millions for one depraved man's actions idiotic since it quite clearly is and simply doesn't stand up to any sort of serious scrutiny.

I don't thnk Dacre has a low IQ, I think he has an agenda. I'd agree that any politician aspiring to office who takes up his line would be exhibiting a level of stupidity so severe that it would raise serious questions about his/her basic levels of intelligence.

• Ot. Interestingly at least 2 other tabloids have a similar take on Philpott to the Mail - suggesting the message - right or wrong - will reach a very wide audience.

Perfectly fair headline by The Mail. Had this character been employed to the heights of his abilities - i.e. apprentice sh*t shoveller - then he'd have had neither the opportunities nor the energies to plot and orchestrate his hideous deeds. It was the state-sponsored life of leisure that allowed this man to run amok. One sees it all the time around grotty town centres - bored kids who have nothing to do with their time other than cause havoc, and the State is paying them to do it. The underclass needs a full day's work before going to bed comfortably tired. Anti-social behaviour would vanish in a trice!

It's true. In Britain before the welfare state violent crime and generally anti-social behaviour was unknown. You only have to read accounts of Victorian and Georgian England to know that is the case.

And the left are out yet again trying to argue with the Oxford English dictionary. There is no 'bedroom tax', except in your thick uneducated jellyfish brains. It is not a tax, moan about the benefit changes all you want but try to stop spreading lies and smears for once. Actually, don't bother, it's all you've got to work with.
    edited April 2013

And the comparison in your last sentence is ridiculous.

Seriously? A Mail story that seeks to blame millions and the entire welfare system for one man's shocking and depraved actions isn't the ridiculous comparison? If you say so.

I think the 'evil' angle being used by some people is worse than the welfare angle. The three did a stupid thing that had evil consequences.

I'm sure you do. You don't think directly and deliberately endangering the lives of children for the selfish and twisted 'reasons' Philpott did does not merit the word 'evil'? Your choice. Even if you don't think it was despicable or 'evil' thing to do then blaming millions on welfare instead of the perpetrator and his own actions is spectacularly and deliberately missing the point.

But they intended to rescue the children - that is why they were tried for manslaughter, not murder. In my mind they are not evil, just incredibly self-centred and stupid.

No. It was not their intent or plan to kill the children but they were found guilty of manslaughter because their despicable actions did.

That is an important question: how widespread are such abuses of the system? Is Philpott a one-off, or are many such people milking the system to various degrees? We do not know.

Yes we most certainly DO know. If Philpott was in any way representative of the millions on receipt of welfare then why aren't there millions of cases like this?

Philpott is an extreme

Did the Mail caveat it's headline with such a qualifier? No. So try again.

And this was evidently not seen as being fraudulent - it was allowed under the system. Another thing that needs mentioning is that apparently the children were not considered at risk. Which makes the incredible levels of stupidity by the three people convicted yesterday even more staggering.

Philpott was a manipulating control freak and bully who used fear and the threat of violence to intimidate and fool those he could when he could. Wife beaters can also sadly escape detection for the same reasons. You are still confusing one man's actions with the welfare/criminal justice system. Neither of which can ever totally mitigate or prevent the actions of depraved individuals. If there were failures they should be corrected but they never excuse or justify the perpetrator's actions. The criminal justice system can however act when it is then in full receipt of the facts, as it just has done.

Speaking of far right lunatics and public opinion.
    Gaipajama ‏@Gaipajama

In 24 hours the #IDS petition has got 275k more signatures than that odious Paul Staines managed in a year for his bring back hanging one.
    I was a welfare recipient. I claimed the dole when I was unemployed, we got milk vouchers for our eldest child. And the state met our mortgage payments. I had free school meals when I was a kid when both my parents were unemployed. I got a full grant to go to university. I am now a top rate taxpayer and helped to start a company that as well as paying a decent chunk of Corporation Tax also employs around 20 other taxpayers. Without the welfare state, I doubt I could have got to where I am today. When on welfare I did not feel the need to abuse the system. I suspect that most of those who receive welfare aspire to my kind of life than the one led by Philpott the childkiller.
    scampi said:

Lol clearly we should act quickly to amend the electoral system and only allow the vote to the clever dicks!

Are you feeling okay? Because you sound just as shrill and hysterical as the Mail.

• The left leaning posters on here are incensed by the Mail. Will the Mail's benefits line have resonance?

Some facts. "Ben Page, Ipsos MORI ‏- 78% say want some people to have benefits cut, 72% say politicians should bring benefits bill down"

The Mail has the most popular online presence of the UK newspapers.

I was a welfare recipient. I claimed the dole when I was unemployed, we got milk vouchers for our eldest child. And the state met our mortgage payments. I had free school meals when I was a kid when both my parents were unemployed. I got a full grant to go to university

When did your criminal reign of terror begin?
    It's only a matter of time if the Mail and it's 'acolytes' are to be believed.

• MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I'd love to know the circumstances in which Philpott grew up. Probably even worse that those in which his poor kids found themselves.
    I'm sorry, did someone who should know better suggest these scum were not 'evil', just 'self-centered and stupid'?

Really? Just self-centered and stupid? Well, that's alright then. Sounds like we need a couple of years in low security and some rehab and all will be well and out they come. Maybe they can rebuild their family and have another 6 kids? (I'm sure nobody expects them to be that self-centered and stupid again. No risk at all).

May I just put forward a slightly different position. The evil manipulating scum should die a slow painful agonising death. May he rot.. May all three of them rot.
    @Mick_Pork

As usual, your reply lies about what someone said. I said 'many', not 'millions'. And I said that, in my opinion, Philpott et al were not evil. But I did not say that I thought they were not despicable.

To make it clear: in my mind their acts were despicable (in the 'worthy of contempt' sense of the word), but not evil. Others will disagree, because the concept of 'evil' is very much in the eye of the beholder.
    Millsy said:

I'd love to know the circumstances in which Philpott grew up. Probably even worse that those in which his poor kids found themselves.

What? Do you feel sorry for him? Is that an excuse? Crawl back under your rock from whence you came.

• @mickpork

" Are you feeling okay? Because you sound just as shrill and hysterical as the Mail."

I'm fine. The only hysteria I've noticed today has come from those ranting about people with low IQs who dare to read the Mail. Hyperbole in political debate can be seen across the press - I think the Guardian on Monday over the benefit reforms was a good example.
  • tim said:

@TCPoliticalBetting
    Of course there's support for cutting the benefit bill, unfortunately for you the incompetent Osborne has increased it.

I am not a supporter of Osborne. Something I have said many many times. But the main reason the working age benefit bill has increased is not a growth in unemployment but the decisions to increase it in line with inflation. Something the Lib Dems fought for.
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2013
    We had on Monday the Guardian, Mirror, Charities, BBC and other socialists all whining about these "cuts". Today we wake up to the left leaning posters on here etc etc .... Remember the 78%!
    tim said:

@TCPoliticalBetting

Of course there's support for cutting the benefit bill, unfortunately for you the incompetent Osborne has increased it.
    And faced with the choice between maintaining child benefit for the tenth child and cutting working tax credits for people with smaller families returning to work he chose to cut the latter and maintain the former.

As opposed to cutting nothing, anywhere, ever, for anybody? Bitch at the small print all you want, the Labour version just says 'goodies for all, come and get it', and at the end.......bankruptcy. Anon.

But do carry on whinging. Maybe you could introduce a benefit for it?

I was a welfare recipient. I claimed the dole when I was unemployed, we got milk vouchers for our eldest child. And the state met our mortgage payments. I had free school meals when I was a kid when both my parents were unemployed. I got a full grant to go to university. I am now a top rate taxpayer and helped to start a company that as well as paying a decent chunk of Corporation Tax also employs around 20 other taxpayers. Without the welfare state, I doubt I could have got to where I am today. When on welfare I did not feel the need to abuse the system. I suspect that most of those who receive welfare aspire to my kind of life than the one led by Philpott the childkiller.

Well said, Southam ! Hear, hear !!

edited April 2013

Some facts. "Ben Page, Ipsos MORI ‏- 78% say want some people to have benefits cut, 72% say politicians should bring benefits bill down"

No. These are the real facts.
    As the debate on child benefits and welfare heats up, Channel 4 News looks at the findings of a Yougov poll revealing the difference between public perceptions of benefit claimants - and the reality.

http://www.channel4.com/news/state-handouts-are-benefits-too-generous

What you are talking about is the completely false perception perpetrated by the lunatic bile Dacre and sad his little helpers adore.

The more scrutiny and focus there is on welfare the less easy it will be to lie about it.
    If Cammie will praises the Mail's headline then he will reap the nasty party reward. I somehow don't think he will be very eager to, but he may be further down the imbecility of dog whistle politics than we think.

The Mail has the most popular online presence of the UK newspapers.

Which has little to do with it's print edition. It followed the 'celeb gossip and nipslip' model perfectly and did so faster and more efficiently than any of the other tabloids who are belatedly trying to copy it.

By the way, did the incompetent Chancellor give a speech yesterday. There is hardly any coverage today.
    The "clock" in my Vanilla didn't change by itself. How do you do it then ?
  • davidthecon, can anyone please list all the benefit cuts that Ed Milliband,
    1. Says he would introduce.
    2. Says he would remove when elected PM.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,192
    Vile and no more than I would expect from this poisonous newspaper and its nasty little excuse for an editor.

There have been plenty of criminals who were gainfully employed. Peter Sutcliffe for one. to paint this horrible philpott creature as representative of all on welfare is disgusting.
    edited April 2013
    surbiton said:

I think the problem is the benefit systen doesn't encourage enough people to aspire to your kind of life. Even though we are on different sides of a political fence Mr Observer, many of our views are quite similar. Probably running ones own business does that. In common sense land I think we both agree that a welfare system is a safety net that should help those in it to achieve more in life. The system needs changing though to better achieve that aim. How that is done is where we differ I suspect.

There is a middle ground between scrap it all and everyone for themselves, and everyone should get money from the government so we are all recipients.

• Lol. Apparently the Mail is both vile and no-one reads it - come on lefties make your minds up. Otherwise the thread is pointless:)
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Well I did say yesterday that this would be the benefits story that would be talked about for the next day or so. The Daily Mail's take was entirely predictable.
    @JosiasJessop

As usual you seek to divert attention away from the facts because you clearly don't have a credible argument or justification for Dacre and the Mail's actions. Not that there is one of course. Those who appear to be seeking to demonise the welfare system (which self-evidently serves millions) off the back of one depraved individuals actions, should perhaps consider the irony of them then complaining about how their own words depict them, lest this get any more ridiculous.

• @duration. Mine has although it took a day or so.
  • "surbiton">The "clock" in my Vanilla didn't change by itself. How do you do it then ?<

Mine has though it took a day or so.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    @Mick_Pork

What you must understand is that the Mail is employing a common tactic whereby they set out, deliberately, an extreme position. They are too smart not to know this but are creating a mood, some filtered down version of which they hope will inculcate itself into the popular consciousness.

It’s as little use raging at the DM for doing this as it is to rage at, say, Polly. Or even Tim, of this Parish. Both of whom do the same thing.

surbiton said:

I think the problem is the benefit systen doesn't encourage enough people to aspire to your kind of life. Even though we are on different sides of a political fence Mr Observer, many of our views are quite similar. Probably running ones own business does that. In common sense land I think we both agree that a welfare system is a safety net that should help those in it to achieve more in life. The system needs changing though to better achieve that aim. How that is done is where we differ I suspect.

There is a middle ground between scrap it all and everyone for themselves, and everyone should get money from the government so we are all recipients.

There are definitely problems with people abusing the welfare system. The issue is whether you tackle these by penalising everyone who uses the system, or whether you go hard after the abusers. And, of course, there are also issues around affordability. But these are not going to be tackled if you avoid addressing the people who take up most welfare expenditure - the elderly.

tim said:

@davidthecon

"cuts" that increase spending aren't cuts.

Osbornes projected housing benefit increases show his "cuts" up for what they are, increases in spending because his policies are wrong.

So no cuts from your side then? None? Not needed at all? Because Ed Balls will reduce VAT by 5% and the economy will grow at 10% a year due to the resulting imports of Chinese tat? Or have we moved on from that yet? Anyway, no cuts from Labour folks, not even the attempt of any. Balls first budget: 'Nothing to see here, move along please..'

Do the IMF still do 70's style bailouts? I assume you've checked? Not sure I'd want my grandkids owing trillions of quid worth of debt to wonga.com at their interest rates.

Labour's blank piece of paper isn't even a piece of paper anymore. It's just a void, a vast emptyness in space where some policies should be.
    Mick_Pork said:

@JosiasJessop
    As usual you seek to divert attention away from the facts because you clearly don't have a credible argument or justification for Dacre and the Mail's actions. Not that there is one of course. Those who appear to be seeking to demonise the welfare system (which self-evidently serves millions) off the back of one depraved individuals actions, should perhaps consider the irony of them then complaining about how their own words depict them, lest this get any more ridiculous.

When have I defended the Mail? When have I even mentioned the Mail?

Have you learnt the difference between 'many' and 'millions' yet?
  • I think where the Mail is OTT is to conflate welfarism with criminality.

But where they are spot on is to conflate welfarism (or at least welfare as a lifestyle and abuse of a system intended as a safety net not a lifestyle) with the economic and moral decline of our country. To have 17 kids and an income of over 60k paid all paid for by others is indeed an outrage. Philpott is a parasite and there are far too many like him.

The left will absolutely detest the direction the welfare debate is taking because it pits the working poor against the idle poor. And the larger and much more righteous group of the working poor are not welfarism fans AT ALL. Cutting welfare for the idle poor is very popular with them. 'Fop' Osborne's speech yesterday was very well received. That does not compute inside Polly's head or at Islington dinner parties. But it is where the large majority of Middle England lies.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Millsy said:

The Daily Mail has Philpott's family background here. It doesn't sound as if he had a particularly deprived childhood, his father was a bus conductor, his mother devoted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303086/Inside-Mick-Philpotts-house-depravity-Giant-TVs-snooker-room-children-barely-fed.html
    TOPPING said:

@Mick_Pork

What you must understand is that the Mail is employing a common tactic whereby they set out, deliberately, an extreme position.

I not only understand it I know of cases where such 'tactics' were hastily shelved at the last minute. For reasons other than 'taste'.
    TOPPING said:

They are too smart not to know this but are creating a mood, some filtered down version of which they hope will inculcate itself into the popular consciousness.

There is a difference between supposed low cunning and being 'smart'. Ask the Sun how 'smart' their Hillsborough headlines were in retrospect. This won't be that but doing so while the Mail is trying to justify keeping the likes of Dacre on the PCC is curious to say the least.
    TOPPING said:

It’s as little use raging at the DM for doing this as it is to rage at, say, Polly. Or even Tim, of this Parish. Both of whom do the same thing.

I'm not raging at it it. I'm pointing out the stupidity of it's headline and supposed 'reasoning'.
    If that upsets some on here then I'll just have to live with that burden.
    tim said:

@davidthecon.

You cut benefits by building houses and paying wages that people can live on.

Osborne has not understood that so he has inevitably increased the benefit bill.
    Along with ring fencing payments for retired people as the centrepiece of his electoral strategy that is why his rhetoric is at odds with his failure to cut any spending

And that's the next Labour manifesto then? Build houses like mad....(please see Labour government 1997-2010 for our previous achievements in that field). And pay people a living wage? So, what, raise the minimum wage? Or something creative and abstract like pay those in the public sector loads more by er....taxing and borrowing more? I mean, what the feck? Really. Just stick to your 'everything the Tories do is crap line', it needs less thought.
    edited April 2013

When have I defended the Mail? When have I even mentioned the Mail?

Maybe you should actually read Mike's piece before continuing or are you seriously pretending you are commenting on some other story and it's depiction? Very weak stuff.

Have you learnt the difference between 'many' and 'millions' yet?

I have, have you?
    The welfare system serves millions not 'many' and the Mails depiction did not specify either but chose to scapegoat the entire welfare system for one man's abhorrent actions.

Patrick said:

I think where the Mail is OTT is to conflate welfarism with criminality.

But where they are spot on is to conflate welfarism (or at least welfare as a lifestyle and abuse of a system intended as a safety net not a lifestyle) with the economic and moral decline of our country. To have 17 kids and an income of over 60k paid all paid for by others is indeed an outrage. Philpott is a parasite and there are far too many like him.

The left will absolutely detest the direction the welfare debate is taking because it pits the working poor against the idle poor. And the larger and much more righteous group of the working poor are not welfarism fans AT ALL. Cutting welfare for the idle poor is very popular with them. 'Fop' Osborne's speech yesterday was very well received. That does not compute inside Polly's head or at Islington dinner parties. But it is where the large majority of Middle England lies.

The problem is that welfare is not just being cut for the idle poor. The majority of those affected by Osborne's changes are in work. Have you any proof at all that working people on benefits want to have them taken away?

@Mick_Pork

If you accept the tactic then you will agree that the headline isn't _supposed_ to be reasoned. It is a primary colour extreme position, of which even a diluted version will nevertheless be nudging the appropriate (in this case anti-extreme welfere benefit) reaction.

For Tim it is the Tories' "gender gap" (hi @Tim) which Anthony West in the article he referenced, called "small but consistent"; being "small", Tim must employ DM tactics to create the mood that it is a significant issue.
    TOPPING said:

@Mick_Pork

If you accept the tactic then you will agree that the headline isn't _supposed_ to be reasoned. It is a primary colour extreme position, of which even a diluted version will nevertheless be nudging the appropriate (in this case anti-extreme welfere benefit) reaction.

For Tim it is the Tories' "gender gap" (hi @Tim) which Anthony West in the article he referenced, called "small but consistent"; being "small", Tim must employ DM tactics to create the mood that it is a significant issue.

The Mail headline will resonate with many Mail readers. But Mail readers will not decide the next election, except to the extent they abandon the Tories for UKIP. There was a reason that Cameron wanted to detoxify the Conservative Party.

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349

I don't buy the Daily Mail but I've picked up odd copies on the train or bus. It has a populist slant but I'm not sure why it evokes such hysteria.

We Catholics used to have an Index Liborum Prohibitorum - a list of banned book, necessary to prevent the hoi- polio from reading and thus falling into error. Obviously the clergy could read them without being affected but the innocent and the gullible were a different matter.

We formally scrapped it half a century ago although it had already withered away.

It seems some posters on here would like to revive it for the Mail. They know better than the general population what is good for them.

When I 've seen the Jeremy Kyle show, which seems to be popular, you have generally idle, drug-taking members of the benefit population giving a bad impression, but no one has suggested banning it. Come on, you moaners, be consistent.

And don't forget that the Catholic clergy did it with the best of intentions.
    @SouthamObserver

"The Mail headline will resonate with many Mail readers."

sorry to bang on about this but that isn't the point. It will surely resonate with many Mail readers and many others will think to themselves "what rubbish." But a seed will have been planted and the result is that the overall impression will come to be seen that "welfare" is in some way a problem.

Some would argue, what with the various poll findings (where not all of the respondents are DM readers), that the Mail has been spectacularly successful in this. Non-DM readers are now "on board" with the idea that welfare is a problem.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

@JosiasJessop

Both women worked, Philpott was a violent control freak who forced them to hand over their wages.

The focus on benefits and the crime is more to do with Dacres mind than the facts of the case

I suspect Philipott was an evil man. The welfare system provided the opportunity not the motive and if it hadn't existed then his natural tendencies would have found some other way to express themselves.

A fair response would be to look at the system in the light of this case and see if/why/how it enabled Philpott to maintain an approach to life that was far from what the system intends. There may be valid reforms that should be made. That's not the same as blaming the system for Philpott. He was what he was.

As for Dacre, I doubt he is running a political campaign. He doesn't really care about politics. He just wants to sell newspapers (something he is very good at). Fear sells, as does scandal. Mike is giving him a bunch of free advertising as will, I assume, the BBC and Sky press reviews: I assume he thinks he will get more sales as a result
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The Mail might be doing the Conservative Party a favour by drowning out Osborne's attack on the bishops: a repeat of his omnishambles budget error with VAT on church repairs because away from the metropolitan elite, pews are occupied by Conservative voters.
    @CD13

It's a useful yardstick for the PB Leftards when the Catholic Clergy look sensible in comparison
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Mail might be doing the Conservative Party a favour by (as OGH's OP has it) drowning out Osborne's attack on the bishops: a repeat of his omnishambles budget error with VAT on church repairs because away from the metropolitan elite, pews are occupied by Conservative voters.

The Comrade Blimps of the infantile left are screaming this morning at the Mail’s frontpage splash.
    @GuidoFawkes: Welfare State Was Evil Philpott’s Accomplice http://guyfawk.es/13Qri0y

I was a welfare recipient. .... I suspect that most of those who receive welfare aspire to my kind of life than the one led by Philpott the childkiller.

And, SO, that is a great result and exactly what the welfare state was intended to provide: a safety net that enables people to get back on their feet after a stumble and go on to become productive members of society.

The problem is that the welfare state as it exists today (and IIRC your experiences were some time ago) has grown beyond all proportion and envelops people, trapping them in a life of dependency. That is why IDS's reforms are so important: it is trying to make it easier for people to escape the system in a positive direction.

That said, the failure of the education system over the last 30 years, has resulted in a segment of society who lack certain basic capabilities. That is the fundamental problem for the country that our politicians have created for us.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    New guide to class on BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

I am "elite" it seems, though then it goes on to say that many in this group went to private school and like classical music, not true of me. The last slice of the pie was near empty, I seem to be the prole elite.
    TOPPING said:

@SouthamObserver

"The Mail headline will resonate with many Mail readers."

sorry to bang on about this but that isn't the point. It will surely resonate with many Mail readers and many others will think to themselves "what rubbish." But a seed will have been planted and the result is that the overall impression will come to be seen that "welfare" is in some way a problem.

Some would argue, what with the various poll findings (where not all of the respondents are DM readers), that the Mail has been spectacularly successful in this. Non-DM readers are now "on board" with the idea that welfare is a problem

Welfare most certainly is a problem and an ongoing challenge. The issue is how you deal with it. Blaming welfare for the actions of childkillers, and labelling all its recipients scroungers and/or shirkers while making them even poorer and more vulnerable is not the ideal approach in my view.

edited April 2013
    TOPPING said:

@Mick_Pork

If you accept the tactic

I don't accept the tactic. However much the Mail or it's helpers want to avoid the validity of their central allegation it's still complete bullshit. As such it won't help the case against welfare since it's so obviously complete and utter nonsense perpetrated by someone like Dacre. Even those who are content to read the Mail will hardly all be oblivious to the idiocy conflating a child killer to the entire welfare system.

If you use extreme controversy as an online click magnet and self perpetuating circle for comment then you always run the danger of misjudging it. The Mail has done so before with belated apologies and it will do so again. The core Mail readership may well lap it up but they and the other papers print editions are diminishing in their influence and will continue to do so. Tactics such as this are desperate which is why they always look desperate.

The reasoning that says any story that depicts welfare as inherently bad or 'evil' always helps anti-welfare hysteria misses the point that if the story is blatantly not true then the case is diminished. Cammie, Osbrowne and IDS will not want to say that they approve of this headline, unless they have completely lost the plot.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    "And smart Tories have worked out the living wage angle to cutting benefits"

That only works if everyone else is then prepared to pay more for goods and services produced by British people.

If everyone else instead prefers to buy cheaper imports or prefers cheaper foreign holidays then it fails.

It also fails if higher pay levels in this country leads to even higher numbers of low skilled economic migrants.

So it fails twice.

Basically the low skilled service economy which Labour created isn't compatible with high earnings.

For high earnings you need a corresponding high productivity and high value added workforce.

I'd like to see that but I don't see it happening.

So we're stuck in being a high cost, high tax, high regulation economy which is steadily being overtaken by lower cost, lower tax and lower regulation economies which are 'hungrier'.
    @toadmeister: The NUT has passed a motion demanding that teachers should work no more than 20 hours a week. You couldn't make it up http://m.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/apr/02/limit-teaching-four-hours-a-day-union
    CD13 said:

I don't buy the Daily Mail but I've picked up odd copies on the train or bus. It has a populist slant but I'm not sure why it evokes such hysteria.

Because the Dacre theory is that hysterical headlines sell papers no matter how ridiculous.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    They're both to blame. Philpott is guilty - and so is the welfare state. They're not mutually exclusive as explanations.
  • @Foxinsox

I am Technical Middle Class. I scored very highly on money and education / social but am apparently a cultural desert. :-)

I will become elite when I learn to love opera and stately homes.

Tossers.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    If the Philpott case verdict hadn't been delivered on the same day as the changes to the benefit system kicked in, The Mail is likely to have run with the story in a similar way.

Is the guy part of the lumpen proletariat so despised by Marx?
  • RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    It's amusing to see the left incandescent with indignation at the discovery that the Mail is similar to the Guardian in using individual cases to push a political agenda, vilify whole groups, and pander to the prejudices of its readers. Polly Toynbee does it every week.

Obviously Labour are particularly rattled by this particular Mail headline. It's hardly the first newspaper to use a contentious headline (the article itself is a bit less over the top), but the reason it has received so much attention is precisely because there is enough of a grain of truth in it to strike at the heart of the Islington left 'give them money and hope they go away' mentality. Can anyone, anyone at all, claim that the benefits system acted properly in the interests of the family, let alone society or the taxpayer, in this case?

The point is not - as our left-leaning friends here are trying to spin it - that the Mail is claiming the welfare system led to the tragic deaths of these children, but that Philpott's depraved lifestyle was enabled, encouraged, and financed by a system which is clearly severely broken. This is of course an extreme case, but sometimes it takes an extreme case to get the attention needed to improve things.
    @Mick_Pork

"I don't accept the tactic"

I meant as in "as you accept that the tactic exists" whether you like it or not. Polemic is a tried and trusted method to introduce a political agenda. The DM uses it, The Guardian uses it, Polly uses it, Tim uses it, etc, etc.

It seems fairly non-controversial (that it is used, not what proponents do or say). I am surprised that it has the capacity, especially on this forum, to be shocking. Or that people rage at it (I take your point that you don't). One might as well rage at the rain (I've done a lot of that lately).
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    "So far in this parliament Osborne has increased the benefits of the "idle poor" while cutting working tax credits."

True, but politically irrelevant.

Labour weren't protesting when benefits were increased by over 5% while the minimum wage was increased by under 2%.

But Labour are now complaining about 'cuts' to welfare - in reality increases below inflation, which is what most workers are getting, especially in the private sector.

The 'Labour supports layabouts' meme is widespread.

In fact if Avery is around perhaps he could pass along the phrase 'Labour supports layabouts' to his controllers. Afterwards we can discuss a suitable financial gratuity ;-)
    Patrick said:

@Foxinsox

I will become elite when I learn to love opera and stately homes.

Tossers.

And I suspect that very few of the "elite" actually go to stately homes in the sense that the survey means (i.e. National Trust homes).

They may go as guests, however... ;-)
    edited April 2013
    AN Wilson in the Daily Mail:
    "Michael Philpott is a perfect parable for our age: His story shows the pervasiveness of evil born out of welfare dependency":
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2303071/Michael-Philpott-perfect-parable-age.html
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

I don't thnk Dacre has a low IQ, I think he has an agenda. I'd agree that any politician aspiring to office who takes up his line would be exhibiting a level of stupidity so severe that it would raise serious questions about his/her basic levels of intelligence.

There is an interesting article on stupidity in this week's New Scientist. It is claimed that there is no correlation between IQ and stupidity.

Test: David is looking at Mary and Mary is looking at George. David is married but George is unmarried. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person? Possible answers - Yes, No, or Undetermined.
    edited April 2013
    Is it the same people complaining about the Mail story who were happy to use the example of Anders Breivik for their own purposes?
  • IHWIHW Posts: 8
    I have a thought:

When benefits are too low (ie insufficient to provide a tolerable life) recipients will resort to crime (benefit fraud; claiming Disability Allowances; drug dealing; theft) and /or join the Black Economy to provide a life-style with which they are comfortable.
    This is bad.

My own feeling is that the Black Economy is both much bigger, and growing much more quickly, than the OBR/Treasury acknowledge, which explains the disparity between employment numbers and economic growth

When benefits are too high (ie provide for luxuries, as well as bare essentials) then recipients opt to stay on them as a whole-of-life-style choice, and/or opt to retire as soon as they can, and then live at others' expense for 20, 30 years or more.

When benefits are certain (pension, JSA, HB, CB) then there is little or no incentive to make one's own provision for life's down-sides (sickness, injury, divorce, unemployment) because the certainty of State provision means that the money that would otherwise have been put aside 'for a rainy day' is spent today.

Indeed, the relentless advertising and MSM bemoaning of 'the lack of growth in the economy' both help to feed this view.

So, this government - any government - is caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to Welfare: whatever they offer, it will affect millions, yet provide perverse incentives too.

I suppose heavy-handed inspection and monitoring of every recipients life-style, bank accounts and actions would solve some of these problems, but who would want that?

I offer no solution, only seek to expose the problem(s) when the whole population is encouraged to feel that the State will care for them when things go wrong in their lives (ie they can abdicate all personal responsibility for long-term hardship funding)

A side-effect is that saving is positively discouraged (QE's lowering of savers' interest rates does this too), whilst consumption is encouraged - just when we have a massive balance of payments deficit and are no longer manufacturing much of what consumers spend money on.

Any one else have any thoughts?
  • I suspect tomorrow's Daily Mail front page will be about the sentences handed out today.
  • AslawAslaw Posts: 6
    If there is one paper Philpott is likely to read it would be the Mail. Both seek attention and are frauds.
    Sadly, during a recent holiday I was stunned by the number of fellow travellers who shared and supported the Mail's thinking - xenophobic, fascist and selfish. No wonder UKIP support is rising.
    AndyJS said:

Is it the same people complaining about the Mail story who were happy to use the example of Anders Breivik for their own purposes?

The same people complaining are the ones who have been shroud waving about the "Bedroom Tax" for weeks

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Welfare is now a negative word. Huge problem for the left.
This discussion has been closed.