Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : August 25th 2016

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : August 25th 2016

The Lochs (Non Party Independent defence) on Fife
Result of council at last election (2012): Labour 35, Scottish National Party 26, Liberal Democrats 10, Conservatives 3, Independents 3, Non Party Independent 1 (No Overall Control, Labour short by 5)
Result of ward at last election (2012) :

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2016
    First like the Tories.

Where has the rumour about Rees-Mogg being tipped as future speaker come from?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

A quick Google search reveals a few old articles on it from a year or so ago.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    This debate is just so much lolz
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

I'd support the Moggster as Speaker if he wore the the birkini .... with full wig and stockings ....

Just saying .... :smile:
  • Options
    Labour's choice is the devil or the deep blue sea
  • Options
    JackW said:

MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

I'd support the Moggster as Speaker if he wore the the birkini .... with full wig and stockings ....

Don't forget the shoes!
  • Options
    From the Telegraph

The Information Commissioner's Office yesterday said it was probing Virgin Trains's decision to release the CCTV amid claims they may have broken data protection rules.

Anyone want to guess what data protection rules have been broken?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Things not going to plan for West Ham in the UEFA league:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/football/event?id=27891816
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

Don't forget the shoes!
    I'd let TSE choose the shoes .... :smile:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

Rees-Mogg would be a fun Speaker. I bet he'd return to the full "regalia" including the Wig and tights, LOL! :smiley:
  • Options
    Sorry I am late to the thread, I was making jam.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Are you now jam-packed?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    This is the only by-election in the country? Then at least throw up a surprise, The Lochs.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

I'd never read the rumour until tonight, but I can see it making some sense. He's been described as the youngest dinosaur in parliament, and after a 'reforming' speaker (part of which may have been good, but part of which involved trying to recruit someone patently unsuitable for the job of Clerk on the basis that they wouldn't agree to split the role) an old fashioned sort might be attractive, he seems reasonably bright and has a sense of humour, and is known to be his own man.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited August 2016
    Following Labour Leadership hustings in Scotland this evening - Lots of 'progressive' types on my Twitter who were very pro-Corbyn are now cross that he's not wanting to talk to the SNP (I'm not sure the SNP wanted to talk to him, to be fair to them).

(Also, Kezia Dugdale was described in glowing terms by Owen Smith and the assembled crowd laughed. Poor Kez. Expect Alex Rowley/Anas Sarwar to start a leadership challenge as soon as the other unseemliness is over).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2016

Are you now jam-packed?

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment. ASK ME A QUESTION ON THE NHS DAMN YOU...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This is the only by-election in the country? Then at least throw up a surprise, The Lochs.

I can tell you right now, the result will be a triumph for the SNP.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    GIN1138 said:

MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

Rees-Mogg would be a fun Speaker. I bet he'd return to the full "regalia" including the Wig and tights, LOL! :smiley:
    About time too, it's no coincidence the quality of speakers has declined in tandem with the dress code.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Great news for John McCain .... :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Are you now jam-packed?

He's definitely not ram-packed.
  • Options
    Man, 21, who 'battered Muslim preacher to death' is shown performing 'ISIS salute' as he drapes extremists' flag over Rochdale road sign

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3758367/Pictured-Man-21-battered-Muslim-preacher-death-shown-performing-ISIS-salute-drapes-extremists-flag-Rochdale-road-sign-doctored-say-WAR-ZONE.html
  • Options
    RobD said:

From the Telegraph

The Information Commissioner's Office yesterday said it was probing Virgin Trains's decision to release the CCTV amid claims they may have broken data protection rules.

I'll leave it to a lawyer, but I'd argue showing Corbyn up as a liar was in the public interest.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

It is the third inevitability of life. Death, Taxes, and anything that happens is a triumph for the SNP.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    dodrade said:

GIN1138 said:

MP_SE said:

First like the Tories.

About time too, it's no coincidence the quality of speakers has declined in tandem with the dress code.
    Boothroyd was great though!
  • Options

Are you now jam-packed?

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment. ASK ME A QUESTION ON THE NHS DAMN YOU...
    AND START TALKING ABOUT PARISH COUNCILS!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So have we done the whole Republicans failed to correctly file paperwork so Trump isn't on the ballot in Minnesota? But now he is due to rule bending/ignoring.

I know our system has peculiarities, inanities, and is also open to abuse, but stuff like that really makes it seem so stupid at times.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Are you now jam-packed?

AND START TALKING ABOUT PARISH COUNCILS!
    Have the Lib Dems been doing well at those too? titters...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    There was a previous by election in this ward in May this year . It was an easy Labour hold
    Lab 2042 SNP 753 UKIP 162 Con 143
    The deceased Independent was the last of the Fife Communists , Willie Clarke although since Party Registration he has stood and been elected as an Independent
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

So have we done the whole Republicans failed to correctly file paperwork so Trump isn't on the ballot in Minnesota? But now he is due to rule bending/ignoring.

I know our system has peculiarities, inanities, and is also open to abuse, but stuff like that really makes it seem so stupid at times.
    In 2012 Romney failed to qualify for the ballot in Washington and Obama in Texas.
    The rules where ignored back then.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Only from an identifiable third party. Pics of Corbyn who had already put his side of the story in the public domain is fair game and in the public interest. Train is a private rather than public place.
  • Options

There was a previous by election in this ward in May this year . It was an easy Labour hold
    The deceased Independent was the last of the Fife Communists , Willie Clarke although since Party Registration he has stood and been elected as an Independent

Fife Communists ?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Speedy said:

Fife Communists ?
    There were many elected in the 1960/1970s in the Fife mining villages
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/768878114390810629

Another summing up of the performance of the turd sandwich.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Speedy said:

Fife Communists ?
    They're mostly ex-Goldman bankers with a sense of humour.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    watch bbc two now.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

watch bbc two now.

That guy got naked with Scarlett Johansson for Under The Skin. Amazing film.
  • Options
    I quite like this:

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

Implying there is nothing in the middle. Hardly a lottery.
  • Options
    rather have the epileptic fits then facial disfigurement tbh.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    West Ham's performance tonight was sub optimal for our coefficient.
  • Options
    Racism against hairy people! :lol:
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    tlg86 said:

Did West Ham lose.. What larks.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

Why not just require young women, regardless of creed, to wear military uniforms?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Well if Trump 'wins' Minnesota then he should already have won the election.

Last post on 538 is Clinton +6 in Michigan - again a state that if Trump wins it will nearly be a landslide.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

implying people will have reason to complain no matter what.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Things not going to plan for West Ham in the UEFA league:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/football/event?id=27891816

Oh well there's always the Premiership :(
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

A lot of people pretend we're living in a binary world, when it is, of course, more subtle than that.
  • Options
    John_M said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

A lot of people pretend we're living in a binary world, when it is, of course, more subtle than that.
    Well, 50% think we live in a binary world, and 50% don't.

#obvious joke
  • Options
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

#obvious joke
    No, it's "1 out of 10" people think we live in a binary world :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

#obvious joke
    There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    Goddammit PB, stop being so you.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    RobD said:

From the Telegraph

Virgin will get off on public interest grounds.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

#obvious joke
    isn't it there are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who think it's binary .... ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

John_M said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

I quite like this:

#obvious joke
    isn't it there are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who think it's binary .... ?
    I didn't want to be too obvious now
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    weejonnie said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Last post on 538 is Clinton +6 in Michigan - again a state that if Trump wins it will nearly be a landslide.
    I dont agree. I think Trump can win without Michigan, but winning Michigan does nto imply a landslide. It will go blue before California and New England.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Corbyn and his bag take up two seats on a Virgin Train, and he can't find his ticket when the inspector comes round:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3758167/Happy-Jeremy-Corbyn-smiles-DEFINITELY-getting-seat-Virgin-train-wake-bitter-row-Sir-Richard-Branson.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn and his bag take up two seats on a Virgin Train, and he can't find his ticket when the inspector comes round:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3758167/Happy-Jeremy-Corbyn-smiles-DEFINITELY-getting-seat-Virgin-train-wake-bitter-row-Sir-Richard-Branson.html

"his bag"...that no way to talk about the wife aka the invisible woman.
  • Options
    Anyone got a picture/link to Boris/Vote Leave promising to send the £350m a week to the NHS instead.

Need it for an upcoming thread
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited August 2016
    Just watching this awful footage of masked, armed and aggressive people smugglers blocking motorways on Calais. Why the hell are the French not doing anything. If this was happening in Kent they would be tasered, surely?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Anyone got a picture/link to Boris/Vote Leave promising to send the £350m a week to the NHS instead.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/secondary/Boris-Johnson-574738.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mortimer said:

Just watching this awful footage of masked, armed and aggressive people smugglers blocking motorways on Calais. Why the hell are the French not doing anything. If this was happening in Kent they would be tweeted, surely?

The French approach has been the same for years...just hoping it goes away. Ignorant illegal immigrants that they know where they are, they know they are breaking the law etc etc etc & they do nothing.

I label all those in the jungle as illegal immigrants because they have repeatedly been offered the opportunity to claim asylum and they reject it.
  • Options

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/secondary/Boris-Johnson-574738.jpg
    Thanks
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Just watching this awful footage of masked, armed and aggressive people smugglers blocking motorways on Calais. Why the hell are the French not doing anything. If this was happening in Kent they would be tweeted, surely?

The French approach has been the same for years...just hoping it goes away.
    Disgusting. We should send a strongly worded letter/gunboat...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Wel I wish the guardian \ bbc that bang on about mistreatment & appalling conditions in the jungle laid the blame squarely with the individuals & the French government rather than constantly claiming the UK government are a disgrace.
  • Options
    @Mortimer, FrancisUrquat: It's funny isn't it: Switzerland has open borders, zero unemployment, and the world's highest wages.

It also has essentially zero illegal immigration.

Why? Because the incentives have been setup to make being an illegal immigrant extremely unattractive. I particularly like the way that - if you're an illegal, and you shop the guy who's employing you, he goes to prison and you get residency. Brilliant: it basically outsources enforcement to illegal immigrants who are incentivised to report citizen transgressors. And you will go to jail if you employ an illegal immigrant.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Wel I wish the guardian \ bbc that bang on about mistreatment & appalling conditions in the jungle laid the blame squarely with the individuals & the French government rather than constantly claiming the UK government are a disgrace.
    It would be a good start. But presumably less satisfying than handwringing...

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Mortimer, FrancisUrquat: It's funny isn't it: Switzerland has open borders, zero unemployment, and the world's highest wages.

Why? Because the incentives have been setup to make being an illegal immigrant extremely unattractive. I particularly like the way that - if you're an illegal, and you shop the guy who's employing you, he goes to prison and you get residency. Brilliant: it basically outsources enforcement to illegal immigrants who are incentivised to report citizen transgressors. And you will go to jail if you employ an illegal immigrant.

In this country you get a hate campaign against you if you even play ball with the authorities if they find you unwittingly employ illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hear, hear.

But I fear changing our rules would still not work whilst the French police basically allow the pas de Calais to be almost lawless come nightfall..
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Well quite. It's a French problem in France, not anything to do with the UK other than the disruption caused to the cross-Channel traffic by the inability of the French govt to sort out the problem.
  • Options
    Nigel is a tool.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited August 2016
    Hillary Clinton goes on the attack against Farage who she says 'stoked anti-immigrant sentiments" to win June's Brexit referendum.

"Farage has called for a ban on the children of legal immigrants from public schools and health services," she continued, "has said women are quote 'worth less' than men, and supports scrapping laws that prevent employers from discriminating based on race - that's who Trump wants by his side."

"Farage has appeared regularly on Russian propaganda programmes," she added.
    "Now he's standing on the same stage as the Republican nominee."

Farage responds "Mrs Clinton was "running scared".

"Her attacks on me are completely baseless," he said. "She sounds rather like Bob Geldof and can't accept Brexit.

"Perhaps Mrs Clinton should spend more time speaking to normal, working people in her country than trying to attack me using dodgy half-quotes."
    http://news.sky.com/story/hillary-clinton-links-donald-trump-with-alt-right-movement-10551709?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Looks like someone has hit a nerve
  • Options
    Watching a hilariously OTT Brit Horror film "Evil Aliens" on Horror Channel

Not for the faint hearted :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Switzerland does have a very high rate of legal immigration though, with over twenty % of the population born elsewhere. I think only Australia is higher - and another country that we are encouraged to model our policies on.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Switzerland does have a very high rate of legal immigration though, with over twenty % of the population born elsewhere. I think only Australia is higher - and another country that we are encouraged to model our policies on.

I agree. And you'd struggle to find someone more pro-immigration than me.

But I also think that everyone should obey the rules. Respecting the law should be the default option.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Switzerland is a tiddler. The Australian immigration system is like the US medical system - often misunderstood by Brits. The UK has a complex economy. It requires a complex immigration system.
  • Options
    Serious Question PBers:

I'm flying to Australia on Saturday morning (and back on Wednesday). I need video game, book, and movie recommendations for the flight.

There are a couple of books about ancient Rome, plus Stephen King's The Green Mile on my list. But I need suggestions, guys.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I'm flying to Australia on Saturday morning (and back on Wednesday). I need video game, book, and movie recommendations for the flight.

There are a couple of books about ancient Rome, plus Stephen King's The Green Mile on my list. But I need suggestions, guys.

Mulholland drive ;-)

The Prestige is a very under rated movie imo. It seemed to pass a lot of people by.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635

"Margaret" is on True Movies 1 (channel 321). It's beautifully cast, although I still think Patricia Hodge should have played Thatcher instead of Lindsay Duncan, and Kevin McNally is brilliant as Ken Clarke...well actually everybody is good in it. It improves with age.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Seen Halt and Catch Fire? 3rd season just out..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Films: Deadpool, Zootopia, Mad Max (Sorry, I'm relentlessly low-brow on film). Books, apart from Stiglitz, I'm mostly re-reading classics from my bookshelf - Flashman and the Great Game, Accelerando, Red Storm Rising, Reamde.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Ohh good call...season 2 definitely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But I also think that everyone should obey the rules. Respecting the law should be the default option.
    Yes, and I was interested to see that some European politicians have recently been to Nauru to visit the australian facility there:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37171750?client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb

There needs to be zero toleration of illegal immigration, and deportation/detention enforcement for overstayers if we want the rules to be obeyed.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Margaret" is on True Movies 1 (channel 321). It's beautifully cast, although I still think Patricia Hodge should have played Thatcher instead of Lindsay Duncan, and Kevin McNally is brilliant as Ken Clarke...well actually everybody is good in it. It improves with age.
    Pan's Labyrinth next....
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I refer you to the conversation of last week...

Max Hastings: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Hastings/e/B001I9RQMM
    Niall Ferguson: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Niall-Ferguson/e/B000APQ8G0
    Anthony Beevor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antony-Beevor/e/B000APGKKE
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone crime movie
    Chinatown - Neo noir mystery movie
    LA Confidential - Neo noir crime movie
  • Options

weejonnie said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I dont agree. I think Trump can win without Michigan, but winning Michigan does nto imply a landslide. It will go blue before California and New England.
    I said 'nearly' - If California goes red then the USA MSM will go into melt-down. I'll reduce it to "very comfortable win".
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    tlg86 said:

Inevitable consequence of Brexit
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, if we'd voted Remain, you'd have lost by more.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I refer you to the conversation of last week...

Max Hastings: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Hastings/e/B001I9RQMM
    Niall Ferguson: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Niall-Ferguson/e/B000APQ8G0
    Anthony Beevor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antony-Beevor/e/B000APGKKE
    I've read most of the things written by those three!

Although I've not read Ferguson's Kissinger biography. Thanks.
  • Options
    On immigration:

This week I was interviewing candidates for some of the vacancies in our junior doctor rotations left by Hunt's bodged contract.

There were some good candidates. None were UK or EU graduates, and all were dusky and Muslim. About half were legal to employ as on dependent spouse visas of postgraduate students, the other half will need tier 2 visas to take up their jobs.

It will be interesting to see if the government decides to turn these down to meet its immigration targets.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

The Prestige is a very under rated movie imo. It seemed to pass a lot of people by.
    Thank you. Downloading now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, and I was interested to see that some European politicians have recently been to Nauru to visit the australian facility there:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37171750?client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb

There needs to be zero toleration of illegal immigration, and deportation/detention enforcement for overstayers if we want the rules to be obeyed.
    If we can identify Footballers under the age of 17 due to bone growth, why can't we identify Somalian '13 year olds' who are 6' tall?
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

tlg86 said:

West Ham have implemented Brexit ahead of other parts of the country. Kippers should be proud!
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Films: Deadpool, Zootopia, Mad Max (Sorry, I'm relentlessly low-brow on film). Books, apart from Stiglitz, I'm mostly re-reading classics from my bookshelf - Flashman and the Great Game, Accelerando, Red Storm Rising, Reamde.
    Deadpool is awesome, I've watched it twice already. I've also been forced to watch Zootopia with the children.

Mad Max: an excellent idea.

And I love all the early Tom Clancy's and have read them all.

Question: what was the last decent Clancy? Executive Orders?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

I have not. Good idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Mulholland drive ;-)

Seconded on The Prestige. One of my favourites. Edge of Tomorrow also springs to mind, very under rated. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. Oh, and Sicario, best thriller of 2015 imo.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If we can identify Footballers under the age of 17 due to bone growth, why can't we identify Somalian '13 year olds' who are 6' tall?
    We actually can't ...they recently found a load of Nigerian footballers were older than they said based on these scans ...now I am sure most of them were, the one problem was they identified one who had been born and lived whole life in US & absolutely no doubt they were the age they claime, but the scan based test said he was much older .
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Cos that would be racist, innit?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

Serious Question PBers:

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone crime movie
    Chinatown - Neo noir mystery movie
    LA Confidential - Neo noir crime movie
    All excellent suggestions, albeit things I've seen before :)

(Which tells you our tastes are similar.)
This discussion has been closed.