Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Labour’s conference problems Mrs May might infer Labou

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Labour’s conference problems Mrs May might infer Labour couldn’t cope with a snap general election

In the past 24 hours, Labour’s annual conference has been thrown into doubt, as Labour were snubbed by G4S, the firm Labour had been boycotting until recently. Labourlist writes

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Titter .. :smile:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Second, like Dont Know.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tories will surely wait for the new boundaries before calling an election.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FPT David L, you were fortunate. My step-daughter went to an all-girls' school in the late 90's early 00's where the teachers seem to have regarded it as one of the perks of their job to ogle the girls in the showers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Anybody seen a spare seat...its jammed packed in here today.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    The Conference debacle is such a deliciously loony-left conundrum, the reductio ad absurdum of all the bonkers policies and attitudes which the UK and the rest of the world, apart from a few sorry places like Venezuela, chucked in the bin thirty years ago.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Whilst many will say if Labour cannot organise a conference, what hope is there that they could ever run a country, but perhaps Theresa May might infer something else, Labour had a year to plan for a conference, and they are spectacularly failing, how would Labour cope if she called a snap general election?
    I'm not saying it's likely but there's a non-zero possibility that Labour might sort their shit out after they get defeated, whereas if Corbyn stays on there's no way that's happening before the next election, so the obvious thing to do is to use the full five-year term.

Also at this point her own MPs are probably a bigger risk to May than Labour, so she should probably take the time making sure the next round of selections and/or retirements work out to her advantage.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''My step-daughter went to an all-girls' school in the late 90's early 00's where the teachers seem to have regarded it as one of the perks of their job to ogle the girls in the showers.''

Teachers of which sex?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''My step-daughter went to an all-girls' school in the late 90's early 00's where the teachers seem to have regarded it as one of the perks of their job to ogle the girls in the showers.''

Teachers of which sex?

Female.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    F1: All the usual Friday caveats, but Force India have had a better day today than Ferrari.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    FPT: Corporal punishment at my school was caning across the hand. Us rebellious teenagersfreedom fighters against oppression learned to cup our hands slightly.

Worked fine, except our sadistic Chemistry teacher who insisted on fingers being stretched backwards for maximum pain.
  • Options
    On topic. Article 50 declared, boundary changes through then an election at the earliest possible date.
    2018 - 4.2 on Betfair, same price for 2019.
  • Options
    Do labour really need security at their conference?

They seem to be on pretty good terms with most organisations likely to cause trouble.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Labour on 29 has to be an overstatement.....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    AndyJS said:

Possibly, although calling the election now would almost certainly produce a more comfortable Con majority, so the risk of waiting would have to be balanced against the prize of fairer boundaries.

The provisional boundaries will be released next month before the conferences (assuming they happen), so MPs and party members will have an idea of the lie of the land.

The bigger problem with an early election, as always, is 'how?' No Confidencing yourself looks daft and the public often don't like that kind of stunt. It might also backfire with the risk that Corbyn might be invited to form a government and go into the election as PM. On the other hand, finding the 434 MPs needed to vote through an early election will be almost impossible.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A good point by @TSE in the header about a football match in the middle of the Labour conference. To say that the Merseyside Police might find themselves stretched is something of an understatement.

Any markets on the Conference not happening as scheduled?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Possibly, although calling the election now would almost certainly produce a more comfortable Con majority, so the risk of waiting would have to be balanced against the prize of fairer boundaries.

The provisional boundaries will be released next month before the conferences (assuming they happen), so MPs and party members will have an idea of the lie of the land.

The bigger problem with an early election, as always, is 'how?' No Confidencing yourself looks daft and the public often don't like that kind of stunt. It might also backfire with the risk that Corbyn might be invited to form a government and go into the election as PM. On the other hand, finding the 434 MPs needed to vote through an early election will be almost impossible.
    She has a majority in the Commons to repeal the fixed term parliament act, and would the House of Lords really deny the country an election ?

Would be a casus belli for reforming the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Burkini ban overturned in initial ruling - BBC News.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

FPT David L, you were fortunate. My step-daughter went to an all-girls' school in the late 90's early 00's where the teachers seem to have regarded it as one of the perks of their job to ogle the girls in the showers.

Mine did that in the 80s - seriously creepy. Only one member of the PE staff didn't come across as a sadistic predatory lesbian.
  • Options

The 'Best PM' score of 50-19 in favour of May looks more realistic as a predictor of the vote shares, were an election to be called tomorrow.
  • Options

Whilst many will say if Labour cannot organise a conference, what hope is there that they could ever run a country, but perhaps Theresa May might infer something else, Labour had a year to plan for a conference, and they are spectacularly failing, how would Labour cope if she called a snap general election?
    I'm not saying it's likely but there's a non-zero possibility that Labour might sort their shit out after they get defeated, whereas if Corbyn stays on there's no way that's happening before the next election, so the obvious thing to do is to use the full five-year term.

Also at this point her own MPs are probably a bigger risk to May than Labour, so she should probably take the time making sure the next round of selections and/or retirements work out to her advantage.

That is far more easily said than done in the Conservative Party. As you say, the MPs are May's biggest threat: why raise their ire by striking at their powerbase - their seat? It would take several years for her to rid herself of her awkward squad; they could remove her in a week. And many of that same awkward squad are well-respected in their own constituencies so cannot easily be removed that way.

May's best option is to win a big enough majority that she doesn't really have to listen to them.
  • Options
    taffys said:

They seem to be on pretty good terms with most organisations likely to cause trouble.

I think the security is for the infighting.
  • Options

Anybody seen a spare seat...its jammed packed in here today.

I think Harvey is occupying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfXvW2wsuQ
  • Options
    JackW said:

The full ruling is here

http://combatsdroitshomme.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2016/08/CE-26-août-2016-LDH-CCIF-402742-burkini-villeneuve-loubet.pdf

I never thought I'd say this but huzzah for the French (judiciary)
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

AndyJS said:

Provisional boundaries are likely to have as little relationship to the final proposed new boundaries as they did last time - not much
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Mine did that in the 80s - seriously creepy. Only one member of the PE staff didn't come across as a sadistic predatory lesbian.
    The two worst offenders, according to my step-daughter, were a pair of nuns who were later found to be having an affair with each other.

To be honest, when talking about schooldays, I've not encountered anyone who can't tell stories about dodgy teachers. I remember one who took a real shine to a very pretty boy in my Latin class, and used to read him Latin homosexual love poetry.
  • Options
    taffys said:

They need protection from those nutters in the Countryside Alliance - you know, always outside conference spitting and chanting 'Labour scum'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Bit cut and run if she goes for it now, not to mention no invocation of Article 50.

Better to wait for the boundaries.

Good to see the burkhini ban appears to be axed. Shame that Khan's ban on bikini ads remains in place.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

taffys said:

And imagine who else might turn up if word gets around that there's no security! Then add 55,000 p1ssed up football fans.
  • Options

JackW said:

The full ruling is here

http://combatsdroitshomme.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2016/08/CE-26-août-2016-LDH-CCIF-402742-burkini-villeneuve-loubet.pdf

I may burn my burkini to celebrate .. :smile:
  • Options

JackW said:

The full ruling is here

Will be interesting to see what Sarkozy says in response to this, given he appears to be positioning his bid as Le Pen Plus.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

taffys said:

And imagine who else might turn up if word gets around that there's no security! Then add 55,000 p1ssed up football fans.
    I am more concerned about the terrorist sympathizers....oh wait they are invited and will be addressing the audience from the stage...
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Forget a snap election it is virtually legally impossible given current legislation..
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    taffys said:

It will be red on red damage. And spare a thought for the Blairist/Tory wing. They would be left to the mercies of the lynch mob.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

The two worst offenders, according to my step-daughter, were a pair of nuns who were later found to be having an affair with each other.

To be honest, when talking about schooldays, I've not encountered anyone who can't tell stories about dodgy teachers. I remember one who took a real shine to a very pretty boy in my Latin class, and used to read him Latin homosexual love poetry.
    We'd one male teacher who spanked across his knee one of my classmates - in a girls' school. A couple at the boy's next door were notorious spankers/caressers.

I only recall one girl getting hit with a ruler across the back of her hand. The boys' school regularly had tales of ruler backsides/sticking bog roll down their pants if they thought it was likely. Throwing a board rubber was another - those chalk marks never came out of a blazer.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Sandpit said:

On topic. Article 50 declared, boundary changes through then an election at the earliest possible date.

The Conservatives would face several risks by waiting until the new boundaries are in play.
    Firstly, following heavy election defeats in May 2017 if Corbyn stays on, more Labour members would have come to accept the reality that Corbyn is an inevitable general election loser, enough to oust him in Autumn 2017.
    Second, the shine may have come off May with the passage of time.
    Third, under brand new boundaries, the incumbency effect that so helped the Conservatives in 2015 will have been diluted without allowing for some time for a sitting MP to court electors outside of their old constituency.

Granted, the first two of those may not come to pass. But May will need to take a view on whether they might in time for May 2017.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    On topic for once: the G4S role at such an event would be to provide perimeter security for the site (think airport style screening of passengers). That requires kit and people trained to use it. Merseyside Police would have neither and very little time to get them. However, if they could do so or come to some compromise such as physical body and bag searches for every person entering the site (accepting the risks not using best practice would entail), then there could be a way, if there was a will on behalf of the plod and, maybe, the Home Office.

Every police force has since 1829 a scale of charges for renting out police officers for private functions and a set of rules to go with it. Given Home Office consent, the Merseyside force could rent out its officers to do the perimeter security work and call in officers from surrounding forces to cover other duties (or do it the other way round). The other forces would charge Merseyside and they would charge the Labour Party.

There are two problems I can see with such a plan. Firstly, no chief constable in his/her right mind would accept the risks of the operation given the time he/she has to plan for it. Secondly, it would bankrupt the Labour Party.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited August 2016

That is far more easily said than done in the Conservative Party. As you say, the MPs are May's biggest threat: why raise their ire by striking at their powerbase - their seat? It would take several years for her to rid herself of her awkward squad; they could remove her in a week. And many of that same awkward squad are well-respected in their own constituencies so cannot easily be removed that way.

May's best option is to win a big enough majority that she doesn't really have to listen to them.

I wasn't thinking she'd do a purge particularly, just work on getting loyal new MPs in 2020 and let retirements and boundary changes wear down the opposition.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

JackW said:

The full ruling is here

I was very puzzled by this. surely thereis a much stronger security/sexism case for banning the burka/hijab.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, you appear to have described bankrupting Labour as a problem. Some might consider it eu thanatos, given its current state.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

taffys said:

It will be red on red damage. And spare a thought for the Blairist/Tory wing. They would be left to the mercies of the lynch mob.
    The Purge: Election Year Conference Season
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/352330.stm former head and https://theukdatabase.com/2012/06/16/john-skermer-coventry/ in my school ;p
  • Options

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

I am more concerned about the terrorist sympathizers....oh wait they are invited and will be addressing the audience from the stage...
    Ouch!
  • Options

Mr. Llama, you appear to have described bankrupting Labour as a problem. Some might consider it eu thanatos, given its current state.

Have Labour paid back all those "loans" ?
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, the niqab/burkha are already banned in France, I think.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

She has a majority in the Commons to repeal the fixed term parliament act, and would the House of Lords really deny the country an election ?

No, it wouldn't. The Lords would be perfectly entitled to block the repeal legislation, which was designed to end precisely the kind of act she'd be trying on: taking advantage of potentially short-term popularity to skew the system to the government.

There is clearly still a mindset that says it's fair game for governments to call an election when they fancy it. It's not. It's not fair to the other parties and it's not fair to the public. The FTPA wasn't a perfectly-designed piece of legislation but whether by accident or design, it's left the system better than it was before.

If there is genuinely a need for an election then the government should put down the requisite notice in the Commons, as provided for by the Act.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Sexual relationships between staff/pupils were rife in the 70s when I started teaching - the hetero ones were completely tolerated in several cases leading to marriage/pregnancy , etc later on. I always found it somewhat distasteful. Times have changed much since then - mostly for the better.
  • Options
    felix said:

JackW said:

The full ruling is here

I was very puzzled by this. surely thereis a much stronger security/sexism case for banning the burka/hijab.
    Die Welt's survey suggests that three quarters of Germans want a ban on the burqa & niqab. The hijab is fine.
  • Options
    felix said:

JackW said:

The full ruling is here

What is the security case for banning the hijab ?

Are you seeking to outlaw caps too ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Only one, that I can recall from all my schooldays. He was not my teacher, but taught at my school (in Cyprus). He suddenly disappeared mid-terms, repatriated to the UK. My dad was the NAS/UWT union rep at the time for Cyprus, and let slip the reason - too much attention to the prettiest boy in my school year.

Have to say, the teacher was known as one of the 'nice' teachers, but was always a little too unctuous a la Ricky Gervais.
  • Options
    John_M said:

taffys said:

They need protection from those nutters in the Countryside Alliance - you know, always outside conference spitting and chanting 'Labour scum'.
    It always makes me laugh that the ONLY event non-Tories can ever cite is the CA march. As if stout dog loving women that resemble Jenny Pitman, are in anyway comparable to swinging on the Cenotaph or spitting/threatening rape/assaulting Tory conf delegates on an annual basis.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Provisional boundaries are likely to have as little relationship to the final proposed new boundaries as they did last time - not much
    That depends on how sensible they are. Last time, a lot of them were nuts, not least due to the fetish that the BCE had for not splitting wards (as if wards are natural communities anyway!). You would hope that something was learned from the process.
  • Options
    OT: If Yellen does raise rates on the 21st, Carney's going to look even dafter.
  • Options

There are two problems I can see with such a plan. Firstly, no chief constable in his/her right mind would accept the risks of the operation given the time he/she has to plan for it. Secondly, it would bankrupt the Labour Party.

And they've said unofficially that they'd refuse to do it - according to a tweet yesterday.

The risk of civil disorder claims nix the whole idea IMO.

Unless ShowSec is somehow appeased, I don't see how Labour get around this. Corbyn isn't going to cross a picket line.

• Options

MTimT said:

taffys said:

Can't bring myself to watch any of that franchise, although I could make an exception for this one :)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    taffys said:

What are the security arrangements for the Momentum conference?
  • Options
    ''It always makes me laugh that the ONLY event non-Tories can ever cite is the CA march.''

If the violence meted out in 2004 had been repeated on any leftist march, labour would have been screaming for a public enquiry.

Because they were countrysiders, it was open season.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

We'd one male teacher who spanked across his knee one of my classmates - in a girls' school. A couple at the boy's next door were notorious spankers/caressers.

I only recall one girl getting hit with a ruler across the back of her hand. The boys' school regularly had tales of ruler backsides/sticking bog roll down their pants if they thought it was likely. Throwing a board rubber was another - those chalk marks never came out of a blazer.
    Yeah, we had one French teacher who loved spanking boys' bottoms.The odd thing was, everyone knew it was wrong, but it was also thought of as being very funny.

And, none of this stuff happened long ago. I have a friend whose sister got fired from her prestigious public girls' school, a few years ago, after she complained to the Head about the behaviour of one of the maths teachers towards the girls. He was obsessed with measuring their breasts, and was infatuated with one girl who he described as a "little whore" in front of the class.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

The Conference debacle is such a deliciously loony-left conundrum, the reductio ad absurdum of all the bonkers policies and attitudes which the UK and the rest of the world, apart from a few sorry places like Venezuela, chucked in the bin thirty years ago.

I was too young to remember the Looney left councils in London, did they really have an effect on the following GE, or was it a myth?

Open to all.
  • Options

Mr. Felix, the niqab/burkha are already banned in France, I think.

Oh - I didn't realise that.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

taffys said:

Can't bring myself to watch any of that franchise, although I could make an exception for this one :)
    Never seen any of them myself, but they keep advertising the latest one and it looks terrible, rather like the state of the Labour Party at the moment.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The 'Best PM' score of 50-19 in favour of May looks more realistic as a predictor of the vote shares, were an election to be called tomorrow.
    I would guess 45/25 but your point is true that Labour's polling flatters them. But Labour polling usually overstates their votes.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I was too young to remember the Looney left councils in London, did they really have an effect on the following GE, or was it a myth?

Open to all.
    The GLC were comically awful, and yes they did put people off. I'm open-minded about how I vote and not particularly tribal - I'm a managerialist if anything.

However, look what Labour have offered me in my adult years: Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock, Blair ('97/'01 vintage was fine), Brown, Milliband, Corbyn. Good God.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I note she is giving a speech from Jackson Hole today. Is that normal ?

The wilds of Wyoming are about as far from Wall St as you can get :o
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    3 cheers for the French - first time I've said that in a while. The sight of armed men surrounding a woman on her beach forcing her to remove clothing has had a real impact.

On topic, are the Tories certain of getting the boundaries through? There's no other party on board as far as I know. And why should there be, when the proposals are all about making life easier for the Tories (and Labour actually - fewer seats under FPTP just makes it harder for anyone else to get a look in.) So it's presumably relying on the Tory majority. How many MPs facing their seats being chopped up might vote against? And what if the Lords voted it down - would there be enough time to invoke the Parliament Act before the 2020 General Election?
  • Options

taffys said:

What are the security arrangements for the Momentum conference?
    None. The lack of soap would deter most sane people.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Not sure about that - and surely he can reverse the change if the circumstances change. most of the serious commentators [ even on here] think he's done a reasonable stabilising job.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

Have you been there? It's where many of the monied spend a huge amount of time...hillbilly hick land it ain't.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

Open to all.
    The Loony 80s - especially in London were ace. Nothing was too daft or ridiculous.

This is most entertaining in a grim way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COt65HZCJaA
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, does today's P2 signify anything? I guess my real question is whether Hamilton has any real incentive to score a fast qualifier. But then Rosberg does.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The Conservatives would face several risks by waiting until the new boundaries are in play.
    Firstly, following heavy election defeats in May 2017 if Corbyn stays on, more Labour members would have come to accept the reality that Corbyn is an inevitable general election loser, enough to oust him in Autumn 2017.
    Second, the shine may have come off May with the passage of time.
    Third, under brand new boundaries, the incumbency effect that so helped the Conservatives in 2015 will have been diluted without allowing for some time for a sitting MP to court electors outside of their old constituency.

Granted, the first two of those may not come to pass. But May will need to take a view on whether they might in time for May 2017.
    That's an interesting different perspective, thanks.

My thinking was:

1. Invoking A50 prevents Labour or the LDs running on a manifesto of overturning the public referendum vote, allowing campaigning only on the type of Brexit rather than the concept itself.

2. Waiting for the boundaries gifts the Tories potentially 20 seats.

3. By starting to plan now for a 2018 election, the Tory whips can get MPs in seats, identify retirees for a kick to the red benches or a big gong, accommodate redundant MEPs, identify notionally marginal seats etc etc. Meanwhile Labour will be in chaos trying to deselect existing MPs and stand 'approved' candidates on the redrawn boundaries, all in a matter of weeks.

4. If Corbyn wins this leadership vote, the takeover of the Labour Party by the hard left is pretty much complete. There's no chance they'll find a moderate to take over before 2018, and little chance of it happening before 2020. The likes of Dan Jarvis will be top of the list for deselection.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Yeah, we had one French teacher who loved spanking boys' bottoms.The odd thing was, everyone knew it was wrong, but it was also thought of as being very funny.

And, none of this stuff happened long ago. I have a friend whose sister got fired from her prestigious public girls' school, a few years ago, after she complained to the Head about the behaviour of one of the maths teachers towards the girls. He was obsessed with measuring their breasts, and was infatuated with one girl who he described as a "little whore" in front of the class.
    There is also the assumption that male teachers were worst - I would have said it was evens. One primary female teacher (young (25?) attractive and a single mum) had a queue of young chaps queuing up for kisses at her flat one summer. She was not there for the autumn term. Bizarre when I look back but still nice...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. D., I am quite indifferent to the fate of the Labour Party my preference for 2020 is, in ideal world, it should be a two way fight between the Patrick Party and the Morris Dancer Party. I notice however that neither of you have published your manifestos for some considerable time.

P.S. I refer to my earlier post which noted that on the polling Labour is still on the same level that it was at the GE. Mr. RottenBorough, gent and I think lefty of this parish, posted that he thinks Labour are really on 22%.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

There is also the assumption that male teachers were worst - I would have said it was evens. One primary female teacher (young (25?) attractive and a single mum) had a queue of young chaps queuing up for kisses at her flat one summer. She was not there for the autumn term. Bizarre when I look back but still nice...
    Certainly, when I was growing up, had a boy been seduced by a female teacher, and later complained, the general attitude would have been "You should be so lucky, son." For all I know, many people in authority might still take that view.

I remember listening to a fascinating programme on Radio 4 featuring a young man who began an affair with is teacher when he was 15, and married her after leaving school. Social services and police knew very well what was going on, but he lied repeatedly to them to protect her.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

I believe it's the Fed's annual retreat.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

taffys said:

It always makes me laugh that the ONLY event non-Tories can ever cite is the CA march. As if stout dog loving women that resemble Jenny Pitman, are in anyway comparable to swinging on the Cenotaph or spitting/threatening rape/assaulting Tory conf delegates on an annual basis.
    The CA march where they organised a bunch of students (Young Farmers?) to stay behind for an hour afterwards, to ensure that the place was cleaner when they left then when they arrived!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No, it wouldn't. The Lords would be perfectly entitled to block the repeal legislation, which was designed to end precisely the kind of act she'd be trying on: taking advantage of potentially short-term popularity to skew the system to the government.

There is clearly still a mindset that says it's fair game for governments to call an election when they fancy it. It's not. It's not fair to the other parties and it's not fair to the public. The FTPA wasn't a perfectly-designed piece of legislation but whether by accident or design, it's left the system better than it was before.

If there is genuinely a need for an election then the government should put down the requisite notice in the Commons, as provided for by the Act.
    I think you've persuaded me to write a thread on electoral and constitutional reform now.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    nunu said:

Open to all.
    IIRC, (long time ago and I haven't checked), there was a further swing to the Conservatives in London in 1987 from 1983.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    taffys said:

''It always makes me laugh that the ONLY event non-Tories can ever cite is the CA march.''

If the violence meted out in 2004 had been repeated on any leftist march, labour would have been screaming for a public enquiry.

Because they were countrysiders, it was open season.

I can remember my maths teacher (lefty, obviously) telling us that he had been in London that day and had given the CA a load of abuse.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    JohnO said:

nunu said:

Open to all.
    IIRC, (long time ago and I haven't checked), there was a further swing to the Conservatives in London in 1987 from 1983.
    Labour's vote was actually up in London in 1987 but the Tory vote was up a bit more. Loony left councils like Lambeth actually swung to Labour. But there were swings to the Tories in other London boroughs like Ealing, Brent, Hillingdon, Wandsworth.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

AndyJS said:

I have to agree with David on this one. I know there are other problems with the FTPA for some, but the biggest complaint and reason for its repeal that seems to come up is it is inconvenient when a PM wants to take advantage of short term political positions to call a snap election, and like David I don't think that's particularly fair game, even if the motivation for the act was short term political consideration of the coalition.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    edited August 2016
    Sean_F said:

A music teacher from my school was arrested for masturbating in his car as schoolgirls walked past.

He claimed he was stressed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Sorry to drag things back to the previous thread, but I just want to share an anecdote:

Overheard from a woman trying to impress a fellow holiday maker at the poolside:

"I would be a Waitrose shopper, if we had a Waitrose."
  • Options
    Mr. T, unusually, I watched a bit.

From what I gather, Red Bull and Force India look good, Ferrari look lacklustre. Hamilton might try for one fewer pit stop than others.

Bit hotter than it will be on race day, though, so that may change things.

Mr. Betting, molestation by women or against boys/men tends to get played down or ignored. A third of Rotherham victims were boys, and a majority of those staff in the Commons receiving unwanted advances (to put it mildly) from MPs were male.

Mr. Llama, alas, been busy with writing works of fiction and have not had time for updating the manifesto to face the important challenges of today.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

Sean_F said:

A music teacher from my school was arrested for masturbating in his car as schoolgirls walked past.

Is it classed the same as using a mobile phone? Are you OK if you have a hands-free kit?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I got the cane in 1990.

To my own children, it will probably seem as anachronistic and medieval as the stocks, or dunking.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Mr Dancer, does today's P2 signify anything? I guess my real question is whether Hamilton has any real incentive to score a fast qualifier. But then Rosberg does.

Hamilton will start from the back and so has no incentive to qualify high up the grid. He may also want to save the 'soft' tyres for a three-stop race. He may also run a sub-optimal low downforce setup to maximise speed on the long straights as he'll have a lot of overtaking to do.

Ferrari are a mess, they've also taken all the downforce off their car and are really struggling with the twisty bits, Force India are looking like good outside bets for a podium, they may start 4th and 5th, in front of the Ferraris but behind Rosberg and the Red Bulls.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

AndyJS said:

I think you've persuaded me to write a thread on electoral and constitutional reform now.
    Including AV?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Is it classed the same as using a mobile phone? Are you OK if you have a hands-free kit?
    :lol:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    On topic: Is there anything to suggest that Labour would do better in a planned campaign? Surely the more thinking time they have, the more chance they have to reach hitherto unimaginable levels of wrongness.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, low downforce would make the tyres work harder though. If he wants to have one fewer pit stop, high downforce makes more sense.

Agree entirely, and I'll be checking the odds on Force India top 6, unless qualifying goes wonky.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

It never seems weird at the time. Kids are innocent, naive, easily amused and still learning.

Teenagers are so pumped full of hormones they don't even think.

Later on you look back and think.. Hang on?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I got the cane in 1990.

To my own children, it will probably seem as anachronistic and medieval as the stocks, or dunking.
    Undoubtedly. I find it hard to fathom how widespread it was for so long, but like Sean F those I know who experienced it seemed to think it was in some ways funny.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm sure that was true, it is probably stressful being a pervert.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

It never seems weird at the time. Kids are innocent, naive, easily amused and still learning.

Teenagers are so pumped full of hormones they don't even think.

Later on you look back and think.. Hang on?
    Fortunately my adolescence is safely obscured in that lost idyll of pre-Internet anonymity. My guilty secrets will forever remain secret. Once I've finished bumping off all the witnesses, that is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

I'm sure that was true, it is probably stressful being a pervert.
    Playing the trombone Sir
    Ooh Sir
    Suit you Sir
  • Options
    Mr. M, it's interesting being in the generation on the crest of the internet wave. I can remember nobody having mobile phones, and it being a bit weird to shop online.

It's already changing society drastically.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, low downforce would make the tyres work harder though. If he wants to have one fewer pit stop, high downforce makes more sense.

Agree entirely, and I'll be checking the odds on Force India top 6, unless qualifying goes wonky.

But he has 20 cars to overtake, his car is already by far the fastest through the twisty sector 2 so he needs the straight line speed to avoid being stuck behind the likes of the Williams.
    He might make use of the otherwise crap medium tyre to pass the back half of the grid on a one-stop, or might start with the soft and save a set of super softs for the last 10 laps.

Should be a great race, lots of strategy options, but I think we all agree not to bet on his qualy lap tomorrow!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I got the cane in 1990.

Undoubtedly. I find it hard to fathom how widespread it was for so long, but like Sean F those I know who experienced it seemed to think it was in some ways funny.
    "It never did me any harm"
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, best way to overtake is not to overtake. Just keep going whilst everyone peels into the pits and you enjoy clear air.

Even with speed advantage, the likes of Williams, Force India and Ferrari might be tricky to pass.
This discussion has been closed.