Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » August Local By-Election Summary and Important Notice

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » August Local By-Election Summary and Important Notice

The Lochs (Non Party Independent defence) on Fife
Result: Labour 1,318 (47% +1%), Scottish National Party 1,079 (39% +20%), Conservative 270 (10% +7%), Communist 86 (3%, no candidate in 2012), Green Party 45 (2%, no candidate in 2012)
Labour GAIN from Non Party Independent on the fourth count with a lead of 239 (8%) on a swing of 9.5% from Lab to SNP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Another First? Good Luck to Harry.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    A herculean task! Good luck, and good luck to the brave soul who reports to us on what are likely to be the most important elections in the realm on those nights. :D
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Thank you HH .... PB's tally man par excellence .... :smile:
  • Options
    First after DQs.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Walks past the first 4 empty slots to post from the floor by the toilets...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Much thanks to Harry. Regrettably, and despite evidence to the contrary, I doubt I have time to pitch in myself. Though the way I'd profile them is to highlight the seats with the most entertaining names and speculating what lies behind it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Walks past the first 4 empty slots to post from the floor by the toilets...

What about the wife?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Fckn hell.

Did anyone watch the Lisa Duffy interview on C4?

I know I'm not in the UKIP demographic, but...

Fckn hell.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

What about the wife?

Where is she? Have you seen her?
  • Options
    On the previous thread - there are four reasons why TM should go to the country sooner rather than later:

1. Strike while the blood hasn't dried on the Lab leadership contest and we might win some really unexpected seats where Momentum stand IndyLab Corbynite candidates against Blairite incumbants and vice versa. Potential for split votes and shock Tory gains amidst all the bad blood on the left.

2. Create an even bigger problem for Lab following the boundary review. Fewer successor seat incumbancies for them to fight over, and ideally some messy contests as per the above still fresh in the memory.

3. Get in before the LibDem comeback materialises. This will probably happen before 2020, and it will be far less affected by the boundary review because those Southern rural seats tend to be fairly large, with growing electorates. So return all those Tories who won in 2015, ideally with an incumbancy bounce and increased majority, while the LD numbers are still in the doldrums.

4. Give some of the old guard one more full term so that they can stand down when it matters - e.g. in the following election once the new boundaries take effect and there are fewer seats to fight for, making things easier for the new intake next time around.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Seems a good opportunity to add my voice to the chorus of thanks to Harry for his work in doing the Thursday evening threads these last I-don't -know-how-many years - always nice to delve a bit into the local minutiae (sp?). Thanks Harry!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

Lisa is the Islamophobe's Islamophobe.
  • Options
    SirBen - interesting thoughts.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

Dangerous to political assumptions at the moment, but surely she hasn't a chance?
  • Options

John_M said:

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

Dangerous to political assumptions at the moment, but surely she hasn't a chance?
    Despite what people may like to think, there are insufficient racists, even within UKIP. She is backed by Suzanne Evans, though given UKIP's bizarre internal politics that's as much impediment as it is endorsement.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

John_M said:

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

So I shouldn't vote for her then? :D
  • Options
    Oh god Eddie spheroids is not only on strictly he has a book out which he calls his midlife crisis.
  • Options
    The UKIP leadership contenders, collectively, are not a patch on Farage.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Harry, the collective brains at http://vote-2012.proboards.com/ will be doing the same...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Paid a cheque in at the bank today and was surprised to find I didn't need to enter my pin-code with my card. Isn't that a bit of a security risk?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Paid a cheque in at the bank today and was surprised to find I didn't need to enter my pin-code with my card. Isn't that a bit of a security risk?

For all those nefarious payer-inners....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Thanks Harry ,
    The problem with doing any calculations on the Electoral Commissions first provisional boundaries is that in many cases on past performance bear little relationship to the final proposals after at least 1 and probably 2 sets of public consultation .
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    John_M said:

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

But will it give her enough support to win?

A 5 way contest with FPTP and no precedent can be quite unpredictable.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Good luck with the new constituency tallying task Harry, a big but important job.
    Unfortunately I can't help too much unless you'd like details of elections in Jumeira, Al Wasl and Umm Sequeim ;).
  • Options
    Thanks Harry - a worthy endeavour!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm surprised he didn't call the book Ed Balls...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

If you wanted to launder cash using someone else's forgotten bank account, it would be very useful. Just get hold of their card. Don't need the pin, at least not for a few years.

Reminds me a bit of the main point of the Jurassic Park novel. The computer programme was designed to alert people if the number of dinosaurs was less than expected, but didn't tell people if the number was more than expected because no-one thought that would be important.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:
    Poor old Ed, the cover of his book announcing he is now merely EAKING OUT a living......
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

If you wanted to launder cash using someone else's forgotten bank account, it would be very useful. Just get hold of their card. Don't need the pin, at least not for a few years.
    Hadn't thought of that, but surely not very likely.... How would fraudster know the account was not active? Very risky.

I think with a giro form one can still credit another's account anyway, can't one?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Reminds me a bit of the main point of the Jurassic Park novel. The computer programme was designed to alert people if the number of dinosaurs was less than expected, but didn't tell people if the number was more than expected because no-one thought that would be important.
    When there was that kerfuffle a few months ago with the hacking of bank accounts (talktalk?) I called my bank to ask if I was at risk. The guy paused to consider and then told me that with that information it would be possible for the fraudster to transfer money into my account...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

I can send you a bank card if you want to carry on with my account :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

Scott_P said:

ttps://twitter.com/h_l_thompson/status/769272966643343365

Poor old Ed, the cover of his book announcing he is now merely EAKING OUT a living......
    A decade of two Ministerial salaries reduced to one backbench MP’s and an intern's.

Will no one think about the children + the mortgage...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/theresa-may-will-trigger-brexit-negotiations-without-commons-vot/

Just waiting for the inevitable squealing from those lawyers :p

Also this makes my dream of a holographic May appearing before the Council to execute Article 50 is one step closer... :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/theresa-may-will-trigger-brexit-negotiations-without-commons-vot/

Also this makes my dream of a holographic May appearing before the Council to execute Article 50 is one step closer... :D

Sense has prevailed.

Incidentally, when did Blair lose his one strong ability to gauge the views of the British people. He seems so way off now...
  • Options
    RobD said:

I miss your old avatar! It was very coy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Not really, the banks have checks and alerts in place when people make large/regular cash deposits (for money laundering/VAT fraud/people using personal accounts for business use)

One of the reasons my parents left HSBC after banking with them for nearly 40 years was they refused to take an above normal cash deposit (around 3k) because my Mother didn't have a receipt for where the cash from, because a fortnight earlier my Dad had deposited £300 in cash for selling his phone to CEX.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

The Alien one? Can't beat a bit of resplendent May though!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

The smiling May one!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Not really, the banks have checks and alerts in place when people make large/regular cash deposits (for money laundering/VAT fraud/people using personal accounts for business use)

One of the reasons my parents left HSBC after banking with them for nearly 40 years was they refused to take an above normal cash deposit (around 3k) because my Mother didn't have a receipt for where the cash from, because a fortnight earlier my Dad had deposited £300 in cash for selling his phone to CEX.
    They are fine with money whizzing round between different accounts though.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

The smiling May one!
    I think that one got people a bit hot and bothered. Maybe more bothered than hot though :D
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

She should have taken the 3k to the bookies ;)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Yup, because they can trace/route those to their original sources.

Where the real money laundering/proceeds of low level crime is happening these days is via the prepaid top up debit cards.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Hah, my Mother starts tutting if I place more than a fiver on the grand national.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Yup, because they can trace/route those to their original sources.

Where the real money laundering/proceeds of low level crime is happening these days is via the prepaid top up debit cards.
    Are they not long for this world, then?

I remember someone once explaining carousel VAT fraud to me. My first thought was: if you can come up with that, can't you come up with a legitimate business concern?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Hadn't thought of that, but surely not very likely.... How would fraudster know the account was not active? Very risky.

I think with a giro form one can still credit another's account anyway, can't one?

What's a cheque?
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Hah, my Mother starts tutting if I place more than a fiver on the grand national.
    :) My mother was chuffed to bits when I told her my winnings on Leave.

She'd faint if I told her the stake....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

If I explained Spread Betting to my mother, and the potential losses on that, she'd need sedating.
  • Options
    You'd have to have a heart of stone....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37195836
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

If I explained Spread Betting to my mother, and the potential losses on that, she'd need sedating.
    Quite. Som things are best left to Tory activists :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Just watched the force awakens which is the premier on Sky. It was terrible, unbelievably bad. Why was I not warned on PB? Nearly 2 hours I am never getting back.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DavidL said:

Just watched the force awakens which is the premier on Sky. It was terrible, unbelievably bad. Why was I not warned on PB? Nearly 2 hours I am never getting back.

I think you're mistaking this place with whatnottowatch .com ....although that said last night it was whattowatchreadandplay .com
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    DavidL said:

It seems that at least 110 minutes of that must be down to you!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

You could always tell her that it's like buying a house with a mortgage, only the charges are less and it's a bit quicker.
  • Options
    The new Labour Councillor is a supporter of Scottish independence. Could this be Scottish Labour's new strategy for winning elections?
  • Options

< class="Quote" rel="DavidL">Just watched the force awakens which is the premier on Sky. It was terrible, unbelievably bad. Why was I not warned on PB? Nearly 2 hours I am never getting back.

It seems that at least 110 minutes of that must be down to you!

Family viewing allegedly. God, it was bad.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I watched The Force Awakens 11 times at the cinema, including the midnight showing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I watched The Force Awakens 11 times at the cinema, including the midnight showing.
    Your mental. I will never watch it again.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited August 2016

You could always tell her that it's like buying a house with a mortgage, only the charges are less and it's a bit quicker.
    For the sake of all concerned it is best if

i) My mother isn't aware of the existence of spread betting

or

ii) The level of my potential exposures in spread betting
  • Options

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

What's a cheque?
    What the Americans call a check.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

What's a cheque?
    What the Americans call a check.
    ... that ditzy waitresses present you with at the end of the meal?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The flirty woman from Breakfast is presenting Newsnight tonight. Can't remember her name. (No offence).
  • Options

or

Fear not, you can rely on the PB omerta.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    DavidL said:

I very much enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema. When I tried to watch it at home, I was bored senseless.

That being said, Rogue One looks AWESOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    DavidL said:

The film is a mess. Thankfully I have almost forgotten about it.
  • Options

or

Fear not, you can rely on the PB omerta.
    This is a woman who thought I had a gambling addiction because I bought 5 pounds worth of lottery tickets for one draw. I think it was a mega rollover.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"Your mental"?
  • Options
    So, Billions. Yes or no?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

I very much enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema. When I tried to watch it at home, I was bored senseless.

That being said, Rogue One looks AWESOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY
    I remember becoming incredibly bored after the main characters conveniently bumped into Han Solo. I just could not get into it no matter how much I wanted to. I debated whether to go to sleep until the end but for some reason stuck it out.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

So, Billions. Yes or no?

The TV show? Absolutely loved it, and it does have a reference to Robert in it.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

So, Billions. Yes or no?

Damn. Now I am going to have to watch it. Was all keen and then saw the Amazon Prime trailer and it actually put me off.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

So, Billions. Yes or no?

I haven't seen it... do tell :)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

So, Billions. Yes or no?

Damn. Now I am going to have to watch it. Was all keen and then saw the Amazon Prime trailer and it actually put me off.
    https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/769291290014023684
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

So, Billions. Yes or no?

I haven't seen it... do tell :)
    See the post/tweet at 10.52pm

Billions is about a supposedly amoral Hedge Fund Manager Bobby Axelrod, and in his office he has a book by Robert Smithson
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    DavidL said:

It made $2.068 billion at the box office so I am afraid I doubt Lucasfilm and Walt Disney will be too concerned it did not live up to your expectations this evening!
  • Options
    The Remoaners are going to have a fit when they see tomorrow's Telegraph:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/769276404278198294
  • Options

This is a woman who thought I had a gambling addiction because I bought 5 pounds worth of lottery tickets for one draw. I think it was a mega rollover.

Some years ago I once tried to explain to my mother my annual (relatively modest) NET PROFIT from gambling/poker.

Her reply:

'But what about all the times you lost? The trouble with you gamblers is that you always remember when you win and forget all the occasions when you lose'.

Since then I haven't bothered raising the topic...
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AndyJS said:
    I love how some comments still manage to blame immigrants. Ffs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

"Your mental"?
    I blame the phone. Ahem.
  • Options
    TSE's comment recently inspired me to take my first ride on the Transpennine Express today - between Manchester and Leeds via Huddersfield.

Been six years since I last visited Leeds, when I arrived via the East Coast Line via Doncaster.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

However that also means she avoids any problems from the Tory awkward squad if Brexit is not the hard Brexit they want
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/769276404278198294

However that also means she avoids any problems from the Tory awkward squad if Brexit is not the hard Brexit they want
    Won't that happen after Article 50 though?
  • Options

John_M said:

Fckn hell.

Fckn hell.

I'm afraid after all the ukip big guns weren't allowed to stand, I feel she has as good a chance as the rest.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    Yay.
  • Options

DavidL said:

That beats my little brother's (he's 35 now!) nine watchings of the Phantom Menace in 1999 :lol:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OK, not a classic like the 1970s/80s trilogy but a huge, huge improvement on the 1990s/2000s prequel trilogy!

My only whinge is that Luke didn't say a thing upon seeing Rey for the first time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Lets see what "brexit means brexit" actualy means anyone gets excited.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Imagine if he was still Shadow Chancellor during E.U ref....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

If she goes ahead and triggers BREXIT and its terms without consulting parliament, the Tory rebels will not have a chance to force her to agree BREXIT only on their own terms
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    ' And it was only when I properly researched the subject for my latest novel that I realised the epic, terrifying scale of Cornwall’s metal-mining past, and the way it poignantly intertwines with my immediate family.

I am Cornish, and I grew up surrounded by the faded memories of Cornish industry: uncles who knew all about metallurgy, great aunts who could talk knowledgeably of ‘the deads’ or spoil from a Cornish mine.

For an industry which only closed in the Seventies — when the last Cornish mines yielded to competition from Malaysia and Australia — the tale of Cornish mining goes back all the way to the Bronze Age. '

Sean's 'proper research' didn't extend as far as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Cornwall_and_Devon#Later_modern_period

' The collapse of the world tin cartel in 1986 was the end for Cornish and Devonian tin mining. The most recent mine in Devon to produce tin ore was Hemerdon Mine near Plympton in the 1980s. The last Cornish tin mine in production at South Crofty closed in 1998. Work enabled the re-opening of the Hemerdon tungsten and tin mine in south-west Devon as Drakelands Mine in 2015. '

And a very early BBC website article on the 1998 closure of the last Cornish tin mine:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/53614.stm

He is right though about it being health destroying work.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Almost certainly some single market access for some controlled free movement ie a fudge
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

If she goes ahead and triggers BREXIT and its terms without consulting parliament, the Tory rebels will not have a chance to force her to agree BREXIT only on their own terms
    Yes but they won't know what type it is at the time of the vote.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Sense has prevailed.

Incidentally, when did Blair lose his one strong ability to gauge the views of the British people. He seems so way off now...
    We forget Blair won elections on falling turnouts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Almost certainly some single market access for some controlled free movement ie a fudge
    I fear you are correct, though hopefully IDS, the Dr and Davis will hold her toes to the fire.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They only want one type, exit from the single market and no free movement, a parliamentary vote would have given them the chance to force May's hand
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

They only want one type, exit from the single market and no free movement, a parliamentary vote would have given them the chance to force May's hand
    How exactly would it have forced her hand?
  • Options
    Would never have predicted that Trump's doctor might look like this.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/769293280945246208

• Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

Article 50'is a trigger for leaving.
    Very distinct from the actual structure of what that leaving means.
    For me we need that trigger asap...before the paddy pantsdown of this world get a head of steam up for another referendum. If the economy turns down, which i have to say seems increasingly unlikely.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

NoEasyDay said:

HYUFD said:

MP_SE said:

I fear you are correct, though hopefully IDS, the Dr and Davis will hold her toes to the fire.
    They may try but it is May who decides and she said she wanted 'controlled free movement' in the leadership campaign for a reason, in contrast Leadsom said she wanted an end to free movement
This discussion has been closed.