Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The curtain lifted a little this week on Labour’s civil war

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The curtain lifted a little this week on Labour’s civil war and it’s not pretty

Power struggles are the nature of politics. Usually, the public gets to glimpse only a fraction of the battles waged behind closed doors in what were once smoke-filled rooms. Outsiders end up having to engage in their own form of Kremlinology to work out what’s really going on:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016
    First!

And I even warned you RobD :smiley:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Blast - second!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    edited August 2016
    Thirst!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

First!

You win this round Dr!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Now the Conference is on, it is hard to see it being anything other than a pitched battle between the two factions; I cannot see the losing side in the leadership election keeping quiet all week, whichever it is. Labour's week is likely to make the DNC ructions seem mild, and surely a week of negative press isn't going to help them any? They've gone so far that the rebels are likely to see lower poll ratings and being slated in the press as some kind of vindication.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Now the Conference is on, it is hard to see it being anything other than a pitched battle between the two factions; I cannot see the losing side in the leadership election keeping quiet all week, whichever it is. Labour's week is likely to make the DNC ructions seem mild, and surely a week of negative press isn't going to help them any? They've gone so far that the rebels are likely to see lower poll ratings and being slated in the press as some kind of vindication.

Yes, the conference will be the most critical in years, more like those of the early eighties. It needs a kinnock '86 like speech, but I think unlikely to get one. It is likely to overshadow the LibDems the week before, and to contrast strongly with the Tories the following week.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited August 2016
    IanB2 said:

Agree; memory isn’t always reliable of course, but to someone who was around and politically active in the 80’s this seems far worse, and far more damaging. While the insurrectionists were strong then they were challenging; it seems now that, with Corbyn as Leader the position is, if not quite, almost, reversed. There wasn’t the almost revivalist fervour about the Left either; Benn, although a much more able man, didn’t seem to inspire the sort of feeling Corbyn does. Nor the dislike, either!
    Benn of course had been a Minister, and a reasonably competent one at that. Corbyn does seem to be a permanent revolutionary, and for me, the most damning critique is that he was apparently totally unable to run useful Shadow Cabinet meetings. There’s little more disheartening for an organisation than an incompetent Chairman!
    In the 80’s too there were some significant and able figures activce on the "other side"; can’t see Owen Smith as a Roy Jenkins or a Denis Healey!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Corbyn increasingly seems to be just the puppet if his own shadow Chancellor who wants to ride roughshod over all opposition. This is because old McD is so overly aggressive he knows he cannot lead himself, so uses Corbyn as a front.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited August 2016
    HaroldO said:

Corbyn increasingly seems to be just the puppet if his own shadow Chancellor who wants to ride roughshod over all opposition. This is because old McD is so overly aggressive he knows he cannot yet lead himself, so uses Corbyn as a front.

Important qualification added. If as seems likely Corbyn goes within three years, McDonnell is starting to look like his only possible successor.

Labour are in the worst imaginable mess of their own making since Ambrose Everett Burnside ordered his men to blow a mine that would create a trench into the enemy camp, only to find that it had been dug deeper instead of shallower at the far end and they were completely trapped.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

Corbyn increasingly seems to be just the puppet if his own shadow Chancellor who wants to ride roughshod over all opposition. This is because old McD is so overly aggressive he knows he cannot yet lead himself, so uses Corbyn as a front.

Important qualification added. If as seems likely Corbyn goes within three years, McDonnell is starting to look like his only possible successor.

Labour are in the worst imaginable mess of their own making since Ambrose Everett Burnside ordered his men to blow a mine that would create a trench into the enemy camp, only to find that it had been dug deeper instead of shallower at the far end and they were completely trapped.
    McDonnell cannot be a successor unless the leadership nomination rules are changed. For as long as the PLP have a nominating veto on the hard left, Corbynism is linked physically to the person of Corbyn.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Excellent article David.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Excellent article David.

Just one little thing wrong. JC will want a female General Secretary.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

At this rate, it'll end up like the first episode of Red Dwarf.

"Everybody's dead, Dave."
  • Options
    This Labour party situation is just delicious and funny and heartwarming and brilliant and popcorny. Let's hope they go and we get a morally decent new centre left party.
  • Options
    Off topic: I see in today's Telegraph that the PM will trigger Article 50 herself, without a vote in parliament. I'm beginning to think T. May is a very good egg. No wonder the Tories are a gajillion points ahead in the polls.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

McDonnell cannot be a successor unless the leadership nomination rules are changed. For as long as the PLP have a nominating veto on the hard left, Corbynism is linked physically to the person of Corbyn.
    I imagine a memo from a CLP to an MP who has no strong ideological convictions but likes the idea of being important and earning 64k for doing nothing:

'Nominate McDonnell or we deselect you.'

It would only take five to cave in.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Excellent article, Mr Herdson.

As succinct and informative as ever
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Morning Mr.Wifflestick. There is something very 'Life of Brian' like about the Labour party these days is there not?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Good morning, everyone.

Morning Mr.Wifflestick. There is something very 'Life of Brian' like about the Labour party these days is there not?
    PJF (splitters) or JPF (suicide squad)?
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, there are similarities, although it's worth noting Brian never wanted to be the Messiah.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I did think about making an analogy to the Thirty Years War but I doubt that even Labour could make their troubles last three million years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Patrick said:

Good morning, everyone.

PJF (splitters) or JPF (suicide squad)?
    Looking much more JPF I'd have thought.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Found this amusing...

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Labour's woes would rival Lost - the entire six seasons... Some poor sod is in the bunker - can they resist pressing the button...
  • Options
    Miss Plato, to be fair, it's more entertaining than Lost was.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I think we're currently on S4 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)#Season_4

No one has a clue who's right.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,291
    My mother in law (80), who has been a Labour party member since she left school and whose late husband was a Labour councillor for many years, said this week that she does not think she is going to shuffle off her mortal coil as a member of the party. She is disgusted by all of this and laments the lack of any leaders of any substance in the party compared with 30 years ago.

She finds it genuinely upsetting, something she deeply valued has died. I cannot believe that she is even close to being alone in that view.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

tlg86 said:

Excellent article David.

Quite right too. You need a girlie as a secretary.
    Make the tea, organise taxis, etc.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, think I finally lost patience [and I watched the whole damned series of Outcasts...] in the third series.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Patrick said:

This Labour party situation is just delicious and funny and heartwarming and brilliant and popcorny. Let's hope they go and we get a morally decent new centre left party.

I saw a documentary yesterday about the Looney left councils, the situation back then seems it was not to be a laugh but out right dangerous. I wonder if there is a danger of far left take overs on these councils now? At least back then most of them had a strong number of Tory opposition Cllrs. The Tories have been all but wiped out on the council now.
  • Options
    The nagging of the hounds has become unbearable and I must therefore get my butt and theirs off into the forest. Hasta mas tarde.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

Also don't forget that in one way the rules will have changed - after Article 50 takes effect, the number of nominations required drops from 15% of 251 (37) to 15% of likely 231 (35) - which may on its own be just enough.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Morning all :)

How surprising - a piece written by a Conservative activist having a jolly good poke at Labour's open wounds. Yes, civil wars aren't pretty - look at the one the Conservatives have had for a generation over Europe.

Gloating at Labour's misfortunes may be the fashion for summer 2016 but we have the far more serious (and much less talked about) of Messrs Johnson, Davis and Fox (aka the Three Stooges) negotiating this country's economic and political future with the EU and the rest of the world while fighting their own turf war and massaging their own egos.

Whether or not Jeremy Corbyn can find a seat on a train will seem the most trivial nonsense once we let Curly, Mo and Larry loose on the Article 50 negotiations. It is to be hoped there will be a serious team of capable officials behind him to do the actual work and clear up the mess and smooth the ruffled feathers.

At the same time, the Prime Minister, whose sole achievements so far have been to go for a walk with her husband and say "Brexit means Brexit" will begin to realise that managing everyone's hopes and expectations for what Brexit actually means won't be that easy whether it's the City with financial passporting or those people who want to see the Channel Tunnel bricked up to stop further economic migration.

• Options
    nunu said:

Patrick said:

I saw a documentary yesterday about the Looney left councils, the situation back then seems it was not to be a laugh but out right dangerous. I wonder if there is a danger of far left take overs on these councils now? At least back then most of them had a strong number of Tory opposition Cllrs. The Tories have been all but wiped out on the council now.
    Councils have much less power now than they did then.
  • Options

Miss Plato, think I finally lost patience [and I watched the whole damned series of Outcasts...] in the third series.

I marathoned the whole thing - it was one of those Never Seen StarWars series that I felt needed crossing off. I did the same with X-Files and Buffy.

Michael Emerson was brilliant as sinister Ben. I'll miss Person of Interest now that's done too. Just looked on IMDB but nothing new listed for him yet. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0256237/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

Also don't forget that in one way the rules will have changed - after Article 50 takes effect, the number of nominations required drops from 15% of 251 (37) to 15% of likely 231 (35) - which may on its own be just enough.
    That'll be after Brexit, surely? Won't British MEPs stay in situ for as long as the UK is an EU member?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    DavidL said:

My mother in law (80), who has been a Labour party member since she left school and whose late husband was a Labour councillor for many years, said this week that she does not think she is going to shuffle off her mortal coil as a member of the party. She is disgusted by all of this and laments the lack of any leaders of any substance in the party compared with 30 years ago.

She finds it genuinely upsetting, something she deeply valued has died. I cannot believe that she is even close to being alone in that view.

"The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."
    Gramsci
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Morning all. Very good article @david_herdson, the conference security problems are indeed a symptom of the much bigger infighting. Not sure about no splits yet though, there must be a few exasperated MPs from the sensible wing who will jump before they're pushed if Corbyn is re-elected?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Patrick said:

Dominic Sandbrook's series on the Eighties?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07n7grm

I did not think it as good as his series on the Seventies. Sandbrook is too much of a transparent Thatcher worshipper to provide balance. So much was missing because it did not fit his theme of consumerism. The Eighties had a very strong counter-cultural movement that contradicts his thesis.

It is also worth noting that much of what was considered "Looney Left" back then is now mainstream, and even Conservative party policy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

That'll be after Brexit, surely? Won't British MEPs stay in situ for as long as the UK is an EU member?
    Yes, which seems likely to be at the start of 2019.

Edit - it is of course uncertain what happens with the next Euro elections in 2018 - it is just possible albeit unlikely there may be no British MEPs after that.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT medical advice from the BBC's guide to footballers' fitness tests

Energy drinks can replenish your glucose levels but can be very high in sugar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zx4sp39

... which is true, I suppose.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    stodge said:

How surprising - a piece written by a Conservative activist having a jolly good poke at Labour's open wounds. Yes, civil wars aren't pretty - look at the one the Conservatives have had for a generation over Europe.

Gloating at Labour's misfortunes may be the fashion for summer 2016 but we have the far more serious (and much less talked about) of Messrs Johnson, Davis and Fox (aka the Three Stooges) negotiating this country's economic and political future with the EU and the rest of the world while fighting their own turf war and massaging their own egos.

Whether or not Jeremy Corbyn can find a seat on a train will seem the most trivial nonsense once we let Curly, Mo and Larry loose on the Article 50 negotiations. It is to be hoped there will be a serious team of capable officials behind him to do the actual work and clear up the mess and smooth the ruffled feathers.

At the same time, the Prime Minister, whose sole achievements so far have been to go for a walk with her husband and say "Brexit means Brexit" will begin to realise that managing everyone's hopes and expectations for what Brexit actually means won't be that easy whether it's the City with financial passporting or those people who want to see the Channel Tunnel bricked up to stop further economic migration.

Near everyone said the train business was trivial. It was noteworthy for being amusing, for showing Jeremy spins the truth and is not a plain speaker, and also that currently they are suffering from lack of capable officials, and leaders.

You are quite right that may has an impossible job to please everyone in front of her, that does offer some hope even to a distracted labour, since if Brexit goes crap enough their divisions will reemerge. It's not unreasonable it is less talked of less since Labour's problems are much more acute. The question is how chronic they will be. Not as much as David thinks, I believe. Maybe both think they can win now, but if smith loses that side will no they cannot win for years and will stop fighting. The alternative would undermine the party without the justification of internal victory to aim for. No more than a handful will dare.
  • Options

nunu said:

Patrick said:

Councils have much less power now than they did then.
    Though its been policy of government (stated at least) in recent years to return power to local areas. That could be stopped dead or reversed if loony councils return.
  • Options

Love that show. Couldn't believe how butt hurt people got over unanswered questions when either they were given people just didn't like them, it was supposed to be mysterious or it wasn't necessary.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

tlg86 said:

Excellent article David.

Quite right too. You need a girlie as a secretary.
    Make the tea, organise taxis, etc.
    Is this the most childish post of 2016?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Near everyone said the train business was trivial. It was noteworthy for being amusing, for showing Jeremy spins the truth and is not a plain speaker, and also that currently they are suffering from lack of capable officials, and leaders.

You are quite right that may has an impossible job to please everyone in front of her, that does offer some hope even to a distracted labour, since if Brexit goes crap enough their divisions will reemerge. It's not unreasonable it is less talked of less since Labour's problems are much more acute. The question is how chronic they will be. Not as much as David thinks, I believe. Maybe both think they can win now, but if smith loses that side will no they cannot win for years and will stop fighting. The alternative would undermine the party without the justification of internal victory to aim for. No more than a handful will dare.
    I don't think the train incident is trivial. Much of the cult of Corbyn is centred around his alleged saintliness and integrity. A refreshing change, or so we are told, from mendacious spinning politicians of the left such as Brown and Blair.

If it is clear that in fact Corbyn is a spinner and teller of falsehoods in order to make a political point then he is no different from the rest and his usp is shot to pieces.
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    edited August 2016
    Deleted
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. Very good article @david_herdson, the conference security problems are indeed a symptom of the much bigger infighting. Not sure about no splits yet though, there must be a few exasperated MPs from the sensible wing who will jump before they're pushed if Corbyn is re-elected?

Jump where? To Indy perhaps. Unless you're not planning to stand again, who's going to risk that? They'll hope something comes up, that Corbyn is magnanimous, that they have enough backing in their local party, or they will just accept it happening without a fight, by and large, I suspect, before they jump anywhere.

That the division is over who is doing what is best for the labour brand, with not a whisper of any wondering if, the way the membership now is, that the LDs or God forbid the Tories or UKIP really are closer to their ideals, and given the difficulty of creating a new party and desperate theories of splitting in parliament without really splitting the party, shows that they are still looking to avoid confronting the possibility they cannot win, and therefore the party is not for them. They'll retire or try to sit it out and play the long game.

Jumping just means a few years of relative peace before finding a new job.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HaroldO said:

Would that point towards an A50 declaration early next year, as the exit from the EU in the spring of 2019 would fit well with the EU Parliamentary timetable? That timing might be in our favour for the negotiations, as we won't be leaving in the middle of the cycle.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

kle4 said:

stodge said:

I don't think the train incident is trivial. Much of the cult of Corbyn is centred around his alleged saintliness and integrity. A refreshing change, or so we are told, from mendacious spinning politicians of the left such as Brown and Blair.

If it is clear that in fact Corbyn is a spinner and teller of falsehoods in order to make a political point then he is no different from the rest and his usp is shot to pieces.
    And this can strengthen Corbyn by showing that when he does listen to the spinners, it all goes wrong, so he must discard Blairite advice and return to the one true path.
  • Options

kle4 said:

stodge said:

How surprising - a piece written by a Conservative activist having a jolly good poke at Labour's open wounds. Yes, civil wars aren'tDavis and Fox (aka the Three Stooges) negotiating this country's economic and political future with the EU and the rest of the world while fighting their own turf war and massaging their own egos.

At the sameon't be that easy whether it's the City with financial passporting or those people who want to see the Channel Tunnel bricked up to stop further economic migration.

It is definitely more significant for Corbyn for the reasons you say, but what I meant was it is just part of the larger array of problems he faces, adding to the cumulative weight. When someone dismisses it in the basis people will forget it because it was trivial they miss the point that it is small and spinning is usually unremarkable, but it did have an effect and that's what matters. It wasn't the sort if thing which will bring him down right away, so in that sense it's trivial, but it wasn't nothing, the same way the EdStone was.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, it was all skirt and no thigh, plenty of promise and no payoff.

I don't mind teasing things out, but it just bored me in the end.

Mr. L, that reminds me: the demented move to give men and women the same advised weekly alcohol guidelines have come under attack (read in yesterday's Mail) for the rather obvious problem that they suggest men and women have equal alcohol tolerance.

It's politically correct but, alas, not in line with biological science.
  • Options

I don't mind teasing things out, but it just bored me in the end.

Mr. L, that reminds me: the demented move to give men and women the same advised weekly alcohol guidelines have come under attack (read in yesterday's Mail) for the rather obvious problem that they suggest men and women have equal alcohol tolerance.

You're saying most men can handle their drink better than most women? Sexist! What's next, suggesting men are on average taller?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That'd depend on Corbyn's margin of victory. From the campaign so far, he's not had it his own way and if he does win (which I expect) then it's likely to be with a smaller share than last time - and in a two-way race, that'd be a much narrower margin than in 2015. In that case, I think that his opponents would feel that it was still game on. If, by contrast, the opposition just turns out to have been noisier rather than broader, then we could well be looking at a split soon.
  • Options

You have clearly not got your priorities sorted out and require further programming. Did biological science matter in respect of car insurance or annuities? Of course not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,090
    DavidL said:

Let's hope your mil isn't a big Foo Fighters fan, or she may not have a choice over her Lab membership.

• Options

nunu said:

Patrick said:

I did not think it as good as his series on the Seventies. Sandbrook is too much of a transparent Thatcher worshipper to provide balance. So much was missing because it did not fit his theme of consumerism. The Eighties had a very strong counter-cultural movement that contradicts his thesis.

It is also worth noting that much of what was considered "Looney Left" back then is now mainstream, and even Conservative party policy.
    Indeed. Liberalism stands triumphant, socially and economically.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited August 2016
    "Is this the most childish post of 2016?"

Sadly so. You need a full grown woman to handle these important tasks.

PS Re ethanol intake. It should be related to body weight, and to sex, but then, it gets too complicated (they think) for the plebs.

And if they recommend a small intake (scientifically valid), the plebs will take that to mean more = better.

They don't have much respect for the plebs' intelligence.
  • Options

nunu said:

Patrick said:

Well, in many parts of them at least. There seems quite the backlash on tolerance of certain things.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, really?

Where was freedom of speech with the Danish cartoons? Or Jesus and Mo, when Newsnight attacked an atheist for having the temerity to draw a cartoon not in accordance with Islamic rules? Or the ban on bikini ads on the Tube? Or 'cultural sensitivities' forestalling action in Rotherham for a decade and a half? Or the pretence by a cretinous media that terrorism is mental illness committed by men called Dave?

Mr. L, well, quite.

Mr. kle4, one is a bastion of scientific authority.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

If Smith loses then Corbyn is still leader and opposition will continue because Corbyn will still be incapable and to a large degree unwilling to do the job.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Let's hope your mil isn't a big Foo Fighters fan, or she may not have a choice over her Lab membership.
    Someone suffering at the hands of the compliance unit was it? I do wonder how fun that job might be.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Amazingly enough it has never come up! I don't think she is too greatly at risk in that respect.

Reflecting on it her socialism and activism in the party was strongly correlated with her activism in the church which still continues. She was a classic Christian Socialist driven to help the disadvantaged both by Christian acts and by trying to create the sort of society that actually cares. It was a strong strand in Labour in the past. Not so obvious it will survive into whatever future the party may have.
  • Options
    To be honest, the one thing that has surprised me from all this Labour in-fighting is the degree of bottle exhibited by Corbyn. Having originally viewed him as a rather insignificant little man, I am truly surprised that he has stayed the course, a least so far. Lesser beings would have thrown in the towel ages ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Near everyone said the train business was trivial. It was noteworthy for beingnot a plain speaker, and also that currently they are suffering from lack of capable officials, and leaders.

If Smith loses then Corbyn is still leader and opposition will continue because Corbyn will still be incapable and to a large degree unwilling to do the job.
    I think the opposition will hibernate, frankly. They have no willingness to split, so it is a question of it Corbyn moves against them and how hard they fight that, as until an event which makes them think they can beat him, like an electoral disaster, I cannot see them doing more than grumbling, and plenty just giving up. They have the guts after being beaten again to say the members were wrong again and try refuse to give him another chance as the members want for the sake of party unity?
  • Options
    I don't have a dog in the Labour race - I've never voted Labour - but I don't wish the party ill in any way. The country urgently needs a non-socialist centre or centre-left alternative.

The main problem is the centre, centre-left, progressive or whatever you want to call it has failed to come up with a coherent economic alternative to the policies followed since the 2008 financial crash.

Oddly enough, we even see the proponents of austerity now admitting the policy has failed and heading off to a reflationary utopia predicated on eternally low interest rates fueled by the financial methadone known as QE.

Perversely, the way is clear for a fiscally sensible centre-left party to trumpet the virtues of a normal monetary policy helping savers and prudent financial management aimed at reducing public debt and deficit rather than tax cuts.
  • Options
    F1: P3 is from 10-11am. No idea if I'll offer a tip. Perhaps unlikely as Hamilton will have a pure race set-up and may sit out most of the session, given his penalties.

There'll still be a pre-qualifying piece overflowing with riveting insight, of course.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845

Mr. Herdson, really?

Where was freedom of speech with the Danish cartoons? Or Jesus and Mo, when Newsnight attacked an atheist for having the temerity to draw a cartoon not in accordance with Islamic rules? Or the ban on bikini ads on the Tube? Or 'cultural sensitivities' forestalling action in Rotherham for a decade and a half? Or the pretence by a cretinous media that terrorism is mental illness committed by men called Dave?

Mr. L, well, quite.

Some people who believe themselves to be liberals disapprove of freedom of speech.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

F1: P3 is from 10-11am. No idea if I'll offer a tip. Perhaps unlikely as Hamilton will have a pure race set-up and may sit out most of the session, given his penalties.

There'll still be a pre-qualifying piece overflowing with riveting insight, of course.

When I bet on Alonso at 100/1 I did not realise it was 100 penalty points...
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, what does "... and prudent financial management aimed at reducing public debt and deficit rather than tax cuts." mean? Higher taxes? Lower spending?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845

nunu said:

Patrick said:

Brexit was a big defeat for modern liberalism.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Someone suffering at the hands of the compliance unit was it? I do wonder how fun that job might be.
    Yup, rather mystifyingly.

http://tinyurl.com/gvgs5te

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jeremy Corbyn's week...

Monday It’s a quiet day, so I’ve taken all of my supporters in the Parliamentary Labour Party to the cinema to see Swallows and Amazons. Unfortunately, there aren’t enough seats.

“Yes there are,” says the usher, shining his torch.

Not if we all want to sit together, I explain.

“But there are over 40 of you,” says the usher. “And you didn’t book.”

This is precisely the problem with a privatised cinema industry. We’ll have to sit on the floor.

“You can’t,” says the usher.

Seumas, my press guy, is hovering, unhappily. He hates the cinema, on account of it being an instrument of false consciousness, but he says the usher has a point. It’s simply not plausible to expect that my entire parliamentary support could all sit together in a place as small as this.

“Unless you come back in a year!” says Tom Watson, brightly.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f9216ff8-6ba6-11e6-998d-9617c077f056
  • Options
    Mr. P, on the bright side, if that bet comes off it'll be a cracking race.

Mr. F, wrong sort of free speech. Like women should be free to choose to wear what they want. Unless it's bikinis in an advert on the Tube. Then it should be banned.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mr. Herdson, really?

Mr. L, well, quite.

Some people who believe themselves to be liberals disapprove of freedom of speech.
    Indeed. The right to not be offended, however unreasonably, is the key right for many.

I see GOD himself has said we might possibly remain in a looser EU despite the Brexit vote on the basis it will be bloody difficult to untangle it completely. I'm a little surprised he doesn't see the flaw that even if politically May could do that even if she wanted, the eu has every reason to make it impossible. Letting us pull lose but not actually leave woukd be their nightmare,
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes. We shall shortly see whether the Tory civil war over Europe is truly over, or just beginning.

How the Brexit team is built will be interesting:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21702229-bureaucratic-marathon-lies-ahead-does-britain-have-enough-pen-pushers-building-brexit

Oliver Letwin using a team where our 30 or so trade negotiators who have gone native in Brussells are now negotiating with their old mates in the EU team may well not be to the taste of the three Brexiteers. Indeed I can see trouble there spreading into further aspects of public life. The Bitter Enders are not going to shut up if there seems to be backsliding.

My view is that we should go for Hard Brexit asap and then negotiate on WTO terms with the EU.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    I think the main danger is to a few PBers' bank balances actually :p
  • Options
    stodge said:

I don't have a dog in the Labour race - I've never voted Labour - but I don't wish the party ill in any way. The country urgently needs a non-socialist centre or centre-left alternative.

The main problem is the centre, centre-left, progressive or whatever you want to call it has failed to come up with a coherent economic alternative to the policies followed since the 2008 financial crash.

Oddly enough, we even see the proponents of austerity now admitting the policy has failed and heading off to a reflationary utopia predicated on eternally low interest rates fueled by the financial methadone known as QE.

Perversely, the way is clear for a fiscally sensible centre-left party to trumpet the virtues of a normal monetary policy helping savers and prudent financial management aimed at reducing public debt and deficit rather than tax cuts.

I agree with that. Although the left have generally been all at sea since 2008 whether in power (France) or out of it the truth is that the right have not got much of a clue either. Osborne managed with some skill to keep our economy growing and people in work but at a terrible cost of very high borrowing and a pretty much static real terms government expenditure. QE was then used to avoid the penalty that that high borrowing should have imposed by buying up government debt and not paying interest on it.

Once you accept that and demonstrate that it works (up to some yet to be ascertained point) then having a logical argument against policies such as Owen Smith's Peoples QE or printing to invest in actual infrastructure becomes more difficult. Doesn't mean such policies would work of course (see Japan) but the reality is that it is not just the left that is blundering around in the hope that we can get ourselves out of this debt trap (public and private) that we and most of the west fell into in the last 20 years. We are in a real mess and good ideas from anywhere on the spectrum would be welcome.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, really?

Mr. L, well, quite.

Sure, it's not universal but society is considerably more liberal now that it ever was in the past in any number of ways. Even the PC prescription on free speech seems under attack.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That'd depend on Corbyn's margin of victory. From the campaign so far, he's not had it his own way and if he does win (which I expect) then it's likely to be with a smaller share than last time - and in a two-way race, that'd be a much narrower margin than in 2015. In that case, I think that his opponents would feel that it was still game on. If, by contrast, the opposition just turns out to have been noisier rather than broader, then we could well be looking at a split soon.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Time for the old liberal party to reform. Maybe it's their time again.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, since 2005 it's become less liberal. Which politician defended free speech over the Danish or Jesus and Mo cartoons?

You paint it as a good thing that a backlash is necessary against politically correct fools who hold cultural sensitivity so sacred they let almost one and a half thousand children be sexually abused rather than call out the criminals.

It's not. In the same way the backlash against migration is because it's been too high for too long, the backlash, by some, against the rancid political correctness (now infecting even medical guidelines*) is because things are so badly wrong.

*If women get the message they can drink the same amount as men, implicit in the new guidelines, it'll at best have no affect and, more likely, lead to higher alcohol poisoning amongst women. Still, women ruining their livers and dying is a small price to pay for 'equality', according to a few over-promoted clowns.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, point of order: the Liberals are still around, just in a very diminished state.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

kle4 said:

stodge said:

And this can strengthen Corbyn by showing that when he does listen to the spinners, it all goes wrong, so he must discard Blairite advice and return to the one true path.
    Another member of justin's small straws society?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Amazingly enough it has never come up! I don't think she is too greatly at risk in that respect.

Reflecting on it her socialism and activism in the party was strongly correlated with her activism in the church which still continues. She was a classic Christian Socialist driven to help the disadvantaged both by Christian acts and by trying to create the sort of society that actually cares. It was a strong strand in Labour in the past. Not so obvious it will survive into whatever future the party may have.
    Well, there's certainly a certain kind of religiosity abroad in Labour at the moment.

I'd imagine for people like your mother in law tangible results would be very much part of their activism, and Labour's current occupation of the land of theory must be galling.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The reality is that liberals are now subsumed by the Tory party.

I'm currently working on a piece about modern liberalism. I look around and don't see much of it embraced by my peers, and this worries me.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

The reality is that liberals are now subsumed by the Tory party.

I'm currently working on a piece about modern liberalism. I look around and don't see much of it embraced by my peers, and this worries me.
    Doesn't the Liberal Party still exist in West Yorkshire?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

You are quite right that may has an impossible job to please everyone in front of her, that does offer some hope even to a distracted labour, since if Brexit goes crap enough their divisions will reemerge. It's not unreasonable it is less talked of less since Labour's problems are much more acute. The question is how chroniculd undermine the party without the justification of internal victory to aim for. No more than a handful will dare.
    I don't think thelair.

It is probably true his supporters will interpret it his way. Rather than show he spins and always has, it'll be his advisers and now the mean old media are after him. Going after the Kings advisers is a very traditional tactic for defenders of an incompetent King and opponents not ready to take on the King. Until they finally challenged Jeremy plenty of his blunders were blamed on his advisers.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

stodge said:

Yes. We shall shortly see whether the Tory civil war over Europe is truly over, or just beginning.

How the Brexit team is built will be interesting:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21702229-bureaucratic-marathon-lies-ahead-does-britain-have-enough-pen-pushers-building-brexit

Oliver Letwin using a team where our 30 or so trade negotiators who have gone native in Brussells are now negotiating with their old mates in the EU team may well not be to the taste of the three Brexiteers. Indeed I can see trouble there spreading into further aspects of public life. The Bitter Enders are not going to shut up if there seems to be backsliding.

My view is that we should go for Hard Brexit asap and then negotiate on WTO terms with the EU.
    The wiliest strategy might be to poach trade negotiators from the European Commission itself. Some 32 Britons work within its Directorate General for Trade. Recruiting them may be easier for the fact that Brexit is likely to stall Britons’ progress up the Commission’s career ladder. Yet Eurocrats enjoy reduced-tax salaries and have put down roots in Brussels. Still, says Miriam Gonazález Durántez, a lawyer and former EU trade negotiator, it is their doors that Britain should be knocking on.

Ha, so Mrs Clegg things we should use Brits who work in the EU to negotiate against them! What could possibly go wrong there?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Parking her tanks all over Labour lawns.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37194207
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

You are quite right that may has an impossible job to please everyone in front of her, that does offer some hope even to a distracted labour, since if Brexit goes crap enough their divisions will reemerge. It's not unreasonable it is less talked of less since Labour's problems are much more acute. The question is how chroniculd undermine the party without the justification of internal victory to aim for. No more than a handful will dare.
    I don't think thelair.

It is probably true his supporters will interpret it his way. Rather than show he spins and always has, it'll be his advisers and now the mean old media are after him. Going after the Kings advisers is a very traditional tactic for defenders of an incompetent King and opponents not ready to take on the King. Until they finally challenged Jeremy plenty of his blunders were blamed on his advisers.
    Fundamental misunderstanding of medieval history there I'm afraid - one attacked the King's advisors because it was a proxy for the otherwise treasonous activity of questioning the King's decisions.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,970
    CD13 said:

"Is this the most childish post of 2016?"

Sadly so. You need a full grown woman to handle these important tasks.

PS Re ethanol intake. It should be related to body weight, and to sex, but then, it gets too complicated (they think) for the plebs.

And if they recommend a small intake (scientifically valid), the plebs will take that to mean more = better.

They don't have much respect for the plebs' intelligence.

ESpecially give the amount of lies they have fed us in the past on the subject and that other countries use the same data and give totally different information and higher limits to their citizens.
    Best to ignore anything teh chancers tell you or even better do the opposite, it will nearly always be the best option.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, since 2005 it's become less liberal. Which politician defended free speech over the Danish or Jesus and Mo cartoons?

You paint it as a good thing that a backlash is necessary against politically correct fools who hold cultural sensitivity so sacred they let almost one and a half thousand children be sexually abused rather than call out the criminals.

It's not. In the same way the backlash against migration is because it's been too high for too long, the backlash, by some, against the rancid political correctness (now infecting even medical guidelines*) is because things are so badly wrong.

*If women get the message they can drink the same amount as men, implicit in the new guidelines, it'll at best have no affect and, more likely, lead to higher alcohol poisoning amongst women. Still, women ruining their livers and dying is a small price to pay for 'equality', according to a few over-promoted clowns.

It all depends on what you mean by liberal.

What I meant was that social attitudes associated with the "Looney Left" in the eighties are now mainstream.

There are obvious things to this in how the Tory party party explicitly tries to have ethnic and gender diversity, with an openly lesbian leader in Scotland; that gay marriages are no longer remarkeable and that Paralympic sport has equal status with Olympics in many ways.

Sure, there is a flipside to this (though there are more than a few things that I would take issue with in your list) but that is a seperate issue. The point is that these things are now mainstream, to the point that we have a Tory PM who sees a place for sharia law in the UK. That would have been considered "Looney Leftism" in the Eighties.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It seems Gus O Donnell is in a continuing state of denial about Brexit.

It means Brexit.

Get over ii.

And incidentally, didn't ex Cab Secs and ex PMs used to keep quiet about policy? Major was a weak leader of the Tory party (because he was too pro-FO and pro-EU) but a gentleman who retired and watched a lot of cricket.

Judging by his pretty ineffective interventions in the EU ref, he ought to have stayed out of politics altogether.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Mr. Stodge, what does "... and prudent financial management aimed at reducing public debt and deficit rather than tax cuts." mean? Higher taxes? Lower spending?

Yes, probably both if I'm honest. If you want to clear down the deficit and start cutting into the debt, you can either a) grow your way out b) hyper inflate your way out or c) seek to remedy both sides of the balance sheet. That means higher taxes and lower spending until we get the finances back into order which for me means running a small surplus and gradually reducing our debt.

The problem is Conservatives won't raise taxes and Labour won't cut spending so the problem never gets resolved.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,970
    nunu said:

Parking her tanks all over Labour lawns.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37194207

Have these halfwits not got some important stuff to do , are they so f&&&&ng useless this is the best they can come up with as the country goes down the pan.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, probably both if I'm honest. If you want to clear down the deficit and start cutting into the debt, you can either a) grow your way out b) hyper inflate your way out or c) seek to remedy both sides of the balance sheet. That means higher taxes and lower spending until we get the finances back into order which for me means running a small surplus and gradually reducing our debt.

The problem is Conservatives won't raise taxes and Labour won't cut spending so the problem never gets resolved.

I don't think it is just a political problem.

That particular policy cocktail would cause serious economic harm. Almost immediately.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

I don't think thelair.

Fundamental misunderstanding of medieval history there I'm afraid - one attacked the King's advisors because it was a proxy for the otherwise treasonous activity of questioning the King's decisions.
    Quite. To question the King's advisors was fair game, but to question the King himself would see your head and body part ways in short order!
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, really?

Mr. L, well, quite.

Sure, it's not universal but society is considerably more liberal now that it ever was in the past in any number of ways. Even the PC prescription on free speech seems under attack.
    It's very wierd that those who now call themselves "liberal" are those most favour of restricting freedom of speech.
This discussion has been closed.