Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In praise of Jeremy Corbyn

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In praise of Jeremy Corbyn

Outside of the Corbynites, the idée reçue amongst most of us is that Jeremy Corbyn leading Labour at a general election is going to lead Labour to experiencing an extinction level electoral defeat. On my most charitable days I’ll say Jeremy Corbyn has only two flaws, everything he says, and everything he does, but I’m going to challenge that perception and defend Jeremy Corbyn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    First like Erminy Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    PB Tories 4 Corbyn: just rejoice at this thread!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    A Classic Comedy Corbyn Thread.

Well done TSE .... :smiley:
  • Options
    #rattled
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    That picture's surely a Photoshop? I'd bet good money JC has never been seen in either a bow tie or a Bentley.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Sandpit said:

That picture's surely a Photoshop? I'd bet good money JC has never been seen in either a bow tie or a Bentley.

No, it's real!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2016
    This piece prompts me to wonder whether TSE might not wear his hair/wig thick so as to hide two little nubbins that a Devil's Advocate might have.
  • Options
    My phones not working 100pct here but is there a link in this piece to 'that' sion Simon piece as well as available reference too. Plus a scrotum analogy.

If so that is peak TSE craftsmanship.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

My phones not working 100pct here but is there a link in this piece to 'that' sion Simon piece as well as available reference too. Plus a scrotum analogy.

This one?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    Yes, that's the reference from a former Labour MP.
  • Options

Bloody phone.

Should be "an AV" reference....
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Nice try, and provocative but wrong on all counts.

1. "I’ll say Jeremy Corbyn has only two flaws, everything he says, and everything he does"

You've missed everything he doesn't say and do too. No-one has missed opportunities like Corbyn.

2. Jeremy Corbyn – A very thick skinned politician.

True, but only a virtue in moderation. An tin ear to reading people and situations and responding to them is the outcome of his thick skin.

3. Jeremy Corbyn – A man who has re-enegrised the left wing movement, why not the country?

Because the country doesn't agree with him, his values and his policies, nor does it respect him as a leader.

4. Jeremy Corbyn – A man underestimated in the polls

Labour perhaps overperformed the polls precisely because it wasn't voting for a government in which Corbyn was an option. It was therefore safe to vote Labour in local elections in a way it wouldn't in a General.

5. Jeremy Corbyn – A man ahead of his time (and principle)

Even were this true - and he's been wrong more often than he's been right - the best he'll get is a nod from posterity. There is no credit now for being out of step with the public even if you're proved right later.

6. Jeremy Corbyn – The master tactician

I think this is confusing luck with good judgement. He won in 2015 because he happened to be the right man in the right place at the right time. The right time being the first election after Labour opened themselves up to infiltration from the far left. Similarly, his Euroscepticism combined with his thick skin might have been in tune with the public in a stopped-clock way but has caused him no end of internal trouble for little wider credit. Perhaps his inaction in the EURef was a determining factor in the result but if so it was more accident than design. Master tacticians choose between options and pick the best one to suit their needs; Corbyn simply does what he believes in.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I just woke up and switched on PB.. I must be in an alternative universe.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I disagree about the EU. I think had Labour been led by Burnham or Cooper, Leave would have won by even more.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Thanks for the laughs on my first morning back at work after my holiday.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    tlg86 said:

I disagree about the EU. I think had Labour been led by Burnham or Cooper, Leave would have won by even more.

An interesting counterfactual. As an aside, I think you're wrong. There was no Labour case for Remain. There was an excellent Labour case made for Leave; indeed, I'd argue Labour Leave was the best of the campaigns. If Cooper or Burnham had stood beside Cameron and that funny looking chap whose name I've forgotten, it might well have boosted the Remain share.

But. Would it have added 2% to it? I doubt it. I think it would probably have narrowed the gap somewhat. And 50.5:49.5 would have made for a very exciting evening.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in "well, you've been in charge" news...

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/770475335494369283
  • Options
    The important bit to remember is that Corbyn is not a politician in the normal sense of the word. He is not interested in winning power for his party, he does not believe in Parliament as an instrument of change, he will never seek to change voters' minds by actively engaging with them. All that can take you to the top of a demoralised, disorganised, unfocused Labour party for a time. But it can take you no further.
  • Options

Gordon is a moron. He should SFTU.. He nearly ruined the country.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Genuine. Here's the original clip.

https://youtu.be/H3pacMThWVE
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,224
    Thick skinned? After his tantrum about people asking him the wrong questions?

Thick I will grant you.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,822
    May's results were less poor for Labour than expected, but still poor. Labour's vote share in Wales, Scotland, and London was lower than in 2015.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Well done TSE, a true magnum opus that covers just about everything from geriatrics to genitals. - Still looking for the 80s pop song reference, but I’m sure it’s in there…
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited August 2016
    FPT @MyBurningEars

Yes, all your points are theoretically accurate. However, they all mean dealing with the Stupid Loan Company and its coterie of liars, morons, crooks and thugs for another 14 years. And I really can't face it.

Moreover, with interest rates on savings so low it does actually make financial sense to clear the debt rather than have the cash sitting in the bank. It would be a gain of around £100 a month for the loss of approximately £200 a year.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2016

Dave's idiotic referendum and appalling campaign has done far worse damage than Brown ever did.

Brown has as much right as everyone else to express an opinion on the constitution. The current parliamentary system is clearly creaking.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Genuine. Here's the original clip.

https://youtu.be/H3pacMThWVE
    LOL! So it was a spoof done for a comedy show. Fair play to him for engaging though, most unexpected.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Agree that Corbyn is underestimated and chances of winning the next general election are better than experts think however articles like this are downplaying his dubious moral back background.
    It was always fashionable to oppose the Iraq war but opponents like Corbyn always avoid answering what exactly they would do to stop brutal dictators like Saddam
    Anybody only needs to look at old photos of Corbyn laughing with Gerry Adams shortly after the Brighton bombing to know Corbyn did not mix with the IRA as part of some `peace process`.Corbyn is trying to re-invent history.He supported the IRA and ignored the pro-peace SDLP.
    Corbyn has attended many Anti-Israel rallies that stink of anti-Semitism and turned a blind eye to it
    Since becoming leader dozens of his MP`s have been personally intimidated by Corbyn`s supporters.Corbyn has done little to stop them
  • Options

Morning all.

Well done TSE, a true magnum opus that covers just about everything from geriatrics to genitals. - Still looking for the 80s pop song reference, but I’m sure it’s in there…

Dignity by Deacon Blue. But that might be the 90s.

• Options
    On topic;

As TSE promised, in praise of Corbyn with reference to AV.

But actually, Corbyn isn't much good at elections. His campaign for this one has been an absolute joke. He wins by default, not by skill. Will that be enough in a national election? I very much doubt it.

It is worth remembering that William Hague won the European elections by a big margin at a time when Labour had ten-point poll leads overall. Differential turnout in minor elections counts for a lot, and we should not forget that Corbyn is under pressure because of his lacklustre Remain campaign.

The problem is not so much however that I don't agree with these statements, but that Corbyn's acolytes will. They are increasingly resembling Creationists, Christ Mythicists or Holocaust Deniers in their wilful refusal to engage with reality.
  • Options

Dave's idiotic referendum and appalling campaign has done far worse damage than Brown ever did.

Brown has as much right as everyone else to express an opinion on the constitution. The current parliamentary system is clearly creaking.

Brown has a right to express his view, but he shouldn't express it. He is a moron who thought he saved the world. He should never have been PM, he was unsuited to the job and Labour MP's knew it, but they let it happen.
    Brown has done more to damage Labour's future with his "dark arts" than anyone else in the history of the Party.

As I said.... he should STFU>
  • Options

Morning all.

I went for a 70s pop music reference. Status Quo and Rocking All Over The World
  • Options

Wow, asking the people. How idiotic.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    DavidL said:

Thick I will grant you.

Can anyone explain the difference between "having a thick skin" and "being a stubborn bastard"?
  • Options

The referendum destroyed Cameron's career. It did no other damage that I can tell.
  • Options

Brown has a right to express his view, but he shouldn't express it. He is a moron who thought he saved the world. He should never have been PM, he was unsuited to the job and Labour MP's knew it, but they let it happen.
    Brown has done more to damage Labour's future with his "dark arts" than anyone else in the history of the Party.

As I said.... he should STFU>
    Square Root, why so generous to him? There are those of us who feel that a man who throws the office stationery at senior Cabinet Ministers, hands out money he hasn't got to the tune of £50 billion a year causing a crash which he is too cowardly to accept partial responsibility for and who misleads the House of Commons is unfit to hold any form of public office and indeed should probably be held under restraint for his own and others' safety.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sean_F said:

May's results were less poor for Labour than expected, but still poor. Labour's vote share in Wales, Scotland, and London was lower than in 2015.

That's the nub of the problem really. The membership of the party may well be as many as the other parties combined but are these members in places that will win seats? Boundary changes to even out the bias and FPTP are but two challenges to overcome but as has been said here many times, stacking up votes in already rock solid Labour areas will not win the seats to gain No 10.

That is Labours problem, the chance they will win the popular vote share but which they are spectacularly unable to then turn into bums on seats at Westminster. More likely is that Jez will not be there anyway come 2020 and the Labour Party as a result of internal fighting will be in an entirely different form ( if not two forms) than it is today.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The referendum destroyed Cameron's career. It did no other damage that I can tell.
    There might be those who argue that wasn't exactly damage either. Theresa May for a start!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

No it didn't. Dave was going anyway . We need the benefit of hindsight to see whether BREXIT damages or enhances the UK.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Nice effort and something to give knee-jerk anti-Cotbynites a little pause.

I'd add one point. His "new politics" style is, despite derision here and elsewhere, quite widely respected. I have several normally Tory friends who think him the most attractive Labour politician, because they see that he maintains a serious, issue-focused manner when the default in politics is a sound-bite and an attack on someone else. At a personal level that engenders loyalty (example: me) and at a wider level it engenders curiosity and some respect. The fact that he has some supporters who are far from nice is taken (rightly IMO) as pretty inevitable in any large party.

As we're seeing in other countries, people don't always vote on a predictable left-right scale, and sometimes they vote for a style instead. I think he'll find it difficult to win a majority, but he has a style USP that his opponents generally lack which will make him do better than expected.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sean_F said:

That's the nub of the problem really. The membership of the party may well be as many as the other parties combined but are these members in places that will win seats? Boundary changes to even out the bias and FPTP are but two challenges to overcome but as has been said here many times, stacking up votes in already rock solid Labour areas will not win the seats to gain No 10.

That is Labours problem, the chance they will win the popular vote share but which they are spectacularly unable to then turn into bums on seats at Westminster. More likely is that Jez will not be there anyway come 2020 and the Labour Party as a result of internal fighting will be in an entirely different form ( if not two forms) than it is today.
    I don't think Labour under Corbyn can win the popular vote.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Nice try TSE, but I remain convinced he is a disaster for Labour.
  • Options
    Even if Labour support does increase nationally before the next General Election it will stack up in the Metropolitan areas where Labour is already likely to win most of it's seats. I cannot see Corbyn overcoming the FPTP electoral system where swathes of England will never support him, no matter what.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    DavidL said:

Thick I will grant you.

I tripped up on that too - there are ways of deflecting unwanted questions "I know you're fascinated by train seats, but the voters I talk to are more interested in the NHS" - at a minimum he should have been prepared for the inevitable questions- which points to his woeful media "organization" (sic)....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sean_F said:

Moses_ said:

Sean_F said:

I don't think Labour under Corbyn can win the popular vote.
    No probably not but I did say a chance only. Personally if this Parliament runs its course then I feel it will be May versus someone else in Labour with Jeremy in the " others" pile.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Thick I will grant you.

Can anyone explain the difference between "having a thick skin" and "being a stubborn bastard"?
    There is also a thin line between appearing to have a thick skin and a 'couldn't careless" attitude. Jezza come across to me as someone who couldn't care less about winning an election and taking power.
  • Options

I'd add one point. His "new politics" style is, despite derision here and elsewhere, quite widely respected. I have several normally Tory friends who think him the most attractive Labour politician, because they see that he maintains a serious, issue-focused manner when the default in politics is a sound-bite and an attack on someone else.

Nick, I have many Tory friends who are beyond thrilled with his New Politics, but that isn't a sign of respect - more like elation.

The problem is that Corbyn is all spin, indeed in that way alone he resembles the old USSR which made people poor and miserable while convincing them they were rich and happy. He calls for a kinder, gentler politics, and then praises activists who make violent threats, including rape, to activists from other parties. He poses as an anti-racist, and condones Holocaust Denial and personal attacks on Jews, even among his own MPs. He says he is a pacifist, but then endorses Fascist juntas and chums up with IRA terrorists.

If he actually meant some of the things he said, I would say that he'd be worth listening to even when I don't agree with him. But he doesn't. He says whatever he thinks is politically right-on at the time to make people feel he is sound. The tragedy is that he gets away with it.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I'd add one point. His "new politics" style is, despite derision here and elsewhere, quite widely respected. I have several normally Tory friends who think him the most attractive Labour politician, because they see that he maintains a serious, issue-focused manner when the default in politics is a sound-bite and an attack on someone else. At a personal level that engenders loyalty (example: me) and at a wider level it engenders curiosity and some respect. The fact that he has some supporters who are far from nice is taken (rightly IMO) as pretty inevitable in any large party.

As we're seeing in other countries, people don't always vote on a predictable left-right scale, and sometimes they vote for a style instead. I think he'll find it difficult to win a majority, but he has a style USP that his opponents generally lack which will make him do better than expected.

Good morning all.

I prefer Corbyn to Smith, and not simply because Smith is overtly pro-EU (unlike some, the EU is not a personal bogeyman). Corbyn may be wrong, but he's sincerely wrong. He's ineffectual, but says the right things regarding abuse in the party. He mostly keeps his cool even when under the most ridiculous attacks (e.g. accusations of racism. Anti-semite perhaps, racist no).
  • Options
    What is the context of the bow tie and bentley sketch?

Personally I think it is quite cool that he has an allotment (as I do) and makes Jam.

A refreshing antidote to the fake glitz and spin. I might not agree with most of his policies but I do like someone who has a bit of seriousness about him and does what he believes even if it won't get him favourable headlines in tomorrows newspaper.

And importantly, in the context of this leadership election - he is not a eurosausage loving, toadie, remoaner conspiring to undermine the will of the British people in Junes referendum.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

None of my Labour voting friends like Corbyn or will vote for him if he remains leader. On Friday someone came up to me in the local swimming pool asking advice on what to do, she was very upset.

This does not feel like the path to power or renewal.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    A good thread. It is always of value to express an unfashionable view, so it can be learned from or dismissed as appropriate. And it is good to be reminded that calling someone "principled" and "obstinate" can be two sides of the same coin, the difference being largely luck.

Nevertheless, I don't agree. As others have pointed out, Corbyn's strengths are those of a leader of a protest movement. His weaknesses, above all his past statements and his utter refusal to be pragmatic, are exactly those that will prevent him from winning the only election that really matters in this country. And while public opinion has moved towards him on some issues, that's probably the stopped clock syndrome at work. It has moved much further away from him on many issues, in particular on the need for state intervention in the economy, since he started in politics in the 70s.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    On topic, a good premise to the thread for @TSE to try and see the position of the other side, it's a very useful skill, especially on subjects where opinions are polarised.

University debating societies used to do the occasional 'defend the other side' debate, although in today's atmosphere of safe spaces and social media waiting to quote people out of context, I'd be surprised if they still happen. We once had a memorable debate on abortion, with the Christian Union in favour of it and the Women's Society against!
  • Options
    John_M said:

Good morning all.

I prefer Corbyn to Smith, and not simply because Smith is overtly pro-EU (unlike some, the EU is not a personal bogeyman). Corbyn may be wrong, but he's sincerely wrong. He's ineffectual, but says the right things regarding abuse in the party. He mostly keeps his cool even when under the most ridiculous attacks (e.g. accusations of racism. Anti-semite perhaps, racist no).
    That's like saying he might be a square but he isn't a rectangle.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

None of my Labour voting friends like Corbyn or will vote for him if he remains leader. On Friday someone came up to me in the local swimming pool asking advice on what to do, she was very upset.

That is my experience as well. None of the Labour supporters I know have any time for Corbyn. Curiously the only one that did is a Liberal Democrat who admired his principles!

I have to accept though, given he is going to win this party election comfortably enough, that the Labour supporters I know are not typical of Labour party members. Older, wealthier, just Tories really.
  • Options

Yes, the Tories absolutely love Jeremy. That's one of the problems! They believe his support for the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah, as well as his desire to wind-up NATO, are glorious gifts that ensure their continued presence in government no matter what.

He leaves the personal (and physical) attacks to others, of course. But they are all done in his name and he stands by as they happen. Not once has he stepped in - during debates or rallies - to ask his supporters to stop booing and defaming fellow members of the Labour party.

And Corbyn is so respected his personal polling is the worst of any Labour leader ever.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

DUEMA.

At a time when people are worried by rising (if increasingly unreported) terrorism and borders/migration, a self-declared unilateralist friend of Hamas who thinks we should have open borders may not necessarily go down well.
  • Options

John_M said:

Good morning all.

Look, I don't have a lot to work with here.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

On topic, a good premise to the thread for @TSE to try and see the position of the other side, it's a very useful skill, especially on subjects where opinions are polarised.

University debating societies used to do the occasional 'defend the other side' debate, although in today's atmosphere of safe spaces and social media waiting to quote people out of context, I'd be surprised if they still happen. We once had a memorable debate on abortion, with the Christian Union in favour of it and the Women's Society against!

Its a good exercise. I remember doing a contribution on here on why being in the EU was a good thing. By that time I was already committed to leave but it was a good discipline and brought home that there are few topics where the answer is black or white. Corbyn may prove an exception to that rule of course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

That is my experience as well. None of the Labour supporters I know have any time for Corbyn. Curiously the only one that did is a Liberal Democrat who admired his principles!

I have to accept though, given he is going to win this party election comfortably enough, that the Labour supporters I know are not typical of Labour party members. Older, wealthier, just Tories really.

Most Labour members are older and wealthier, including - I suspect - mist who post on here (certainly me and NickP). A lot of these Labour ABC1s are very happy with having principles that they know will never end up being acted on. They get the best of both worlds that way.

• Options

DavidL said:

Thick I will grant you.

One is a subset of the other. It is possible to have a thick skin without being a stubborn bastard; the reverse isn't.

Thickskinnedness is a personal characteristic; that of having the ability to withstand attacks and not letting it show (whether or not they're felt). Stubbornness is a behavioural choice as to how to act when up against significant opposition.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Its a good exercise. I remember doing a contribution on here on why being in the EU was a good thing. By that time I was already committed to leave but it was a good discipline and brought home that there are few topics where the answer is black or white. Corbyn may prove an exception to that rule of course.
    A man after my own heart. If you can't make the case for the other side, you've not thought your position through comprehensively.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

Good morning all.

Corbyn looks the other way when his supporters abuse and defame fellow Labour members. At the last hustings Smith told his supporters in the audience directly to stop booing Corbyn. Our great leader did not reciprocate or say anything when Kezia Dugdale's name was booed. Then there was his behavoiur at the launch of the Chakrabati report, which was contemptible.

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/video-corbyn-jokes-with-smeeth-heckler-after-chakrabarti-report/

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    ydoethur said:

FPT @MyBurningEars

Yes, all your points are theoretically accurate. However, they all mean dealing with the Stupid Loan Company and its coterie of liars, morons, crooks and thugs for another 14 years. And I really can't face it.

Moreover, with interest rates on savings so low it does actually make financial sense to clear the debt rather than have the cash sitting in the bank. It would be a gain of around £100 a month for the loss of approximately £200 a year.

I'm in a similar situation, albeit with fewer years left to go. It's hard to have confidence in an organisation which almost 5 months after the end of the financial year still hasn't set out my annual statement.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    GO Jezzzzzzza!!!!!!
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

FPT @MyBurningEars

I'm in a similar situation, albeit with fewer years left to go. It's hard to have confidence in an organisation which almost 5 months after the end of the financial year still hasn't set out my annual statement.
    The student loans company exists to make the banks and utilities look good.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Great paean from the Tories 4 Jezza.

Fraid I'm with Joff on this - he is a constitutional problem that needs to be solved. I hope he beats Smith, because of his extreme weathervaneness; but something needs to be done. The Labour Party becoming the third party is probably the best solution...
  • Options
    British man who tried to save the woman attacked by an Islamist terrorist has died:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37216792

Good luck finding any mention of that in the report, though.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Good morning all.

One of the markers for him possibly being an antisemite himself (as opposed to just tolerating them in his party) is that he doesn't see it as racism. He always talks about "antisemitism and all forms of racism" not "all other forms".

It's not conclusive in itself, of course, but it's a factor.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I actually think one of the reasons that the remain camp lost is because they didn't do this exercise, or if they did then they didn't take seriously the findings. I do hope the Tories are conducting opposition research and are coming up with arguments against Jeremy Corbyn. Whatever you or I think of him doesn't really matter, we're going to vote Conservative anyway. From a certain point of view Corbyn offers exactly what people want and hopefully the government can see that and not do what the remain camp did by telling people with little or nothing to lose that they would lose out from leaving the EU. Telling those same people that they will lose out from a Corbyn premiership might not be the best idea, if those rarely vote types can be mobilised for Corbyn then it becomes a real fight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    In the local elections opposition parties should be well ahead, in his first local elections Corbyn did worse than Ed Miliband, Howard and IDS none of whom became PM
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

LibDem support for 'Jeremy' is a real thing.

The secret of the Labour party was amongst the rhetoric, it contained a group of people who knew what it takes to put things into practice.

Labour was a party of government in it's DNA. It wasn't a left-right thing. Just a pragmatic, stoical attitude underpinning everything that got things done. Often trade unionists or local govt leaders led the way.

'Jeremy' favours protest over this kind of politics.
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

Good morning all.

One of the markers for him possibly being an antisemite himself (as opposed to just tolerating them in his party) is that he doesn't see it as racism. He always talks about "antisemitism and all forms of racism" not "all other forms".

Hence my 'perhaps'.
  • Options

Yes, the Tories absolutely love Jeremy. That's one of the problems! They believe his support for the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah, as well as his desire to wind-up NATO, are glorious gifts that ensure their continued presence in government no matter what.

He leaves the personal (and physical) attacks to others, of course. But they are all done in his name and he stands by as they happen. Not once has he stepped in - during debates or rallies - to ask his supporters to stop booing and defaming fellow members of the Labour party.

And Corbyn is so respected his personal polling is the worst of any Labour leader ever.

And this is before the five week GE election campaign (when it comes, 2017 or 2020). As I've said before he will be annihilated during the actual campaign as his 1970s ideas fall apart under the scrutiny, the like of which he has never had to endure, while his cack-handed team run around organizing rallies in safe seat areas like Liverpool to prove he is winning.

Pass the popcorn.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I agree, but it's worth noting that Corbyn wants open borders and his past (and present) attitude towards terrorism isn't going to win him friends amongst those of us with hands rather than hooks.

Mr. Mortimer, ideally, I'd agree. But it's hard to see how that could happen. UKIP is throwing away a golden opportunity by eating its own head with its own leadership woes, the Lib Dems have been crushed and Farron's too leftish (and Corbyn has that sort of vote sewn up), and the SNP are geographically limited.

The Lib Dems and UKIP should make gains, but it's difficult to see them supplanting Labour unless Corbyn's still there in 2025.
  • Options

It's a nice effort and a fine attempt to make us question our assumptions but no, I'm not convinced on any point. He's professionally inept and politically out-of-tune. Most anti-Corbynites are not 'knee-jerk' against him but simply see a loser. I wonder whether Nick's Tory friends view him as 'attractive' because of a respect for his way of doing politics or because he's delivering at least one and possible more election victories to the Tories on a plate. I must admit, I'm in two minds myself. I would like to see better opposition for the sake of the country but, on the other hand, it's difficult not to indulge in partisan enjoyment.

Corbyn's far-from-nice supporters are a bug, not a feature. He's sought out radical causes to support. He's aligned with terrorists who were at the time attacking Britain. He denounces violent abuse but does little to stop it while his chief ally and deputy eggs them on. Judge a man by his actions.

I accept that Corbyn is a courteous man, one with a sense of humour - not always on show but given the attacks on him, that's not too surprising - a relatively humble individual who is still in many ways the never-grown-up student 1970s activist he always was, despite his office, title and income. But attractive or endearing those qualities might be, they're far from sufficient to make a prime minister.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Excellent trolling TSE.

The worry is that you could have written a similar article about Hitler* in his rise to power.

* I thought we'd get Godwin out the way early for today.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, just by researching properly the arguments being made by the other side, one should be able to better articulate and defend their own position.

Corbyn has proved the exception to lots of rules, but if he goes into the election still supporting Hamas and the IRA, thinks we should accept unlimited refugees while unilaterally disarming ourselves, thinks that the number one problem in the world is Palestine, that we should give the Falklands back to Argentina and Gibraltar back to Spain - then surely he's toast. Surely?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

An interesting counterfactual. As an aside, I think you're wrong. There was no Labour case for Remain. There was an excellent Labour case made for Leave; indeed, I'd argue Labour Leave was the best of the campaigns. If Cooper or Burnham had stood beside Cameron and that funny looking chap whose name I've forgotten, it might well have boosted the Remain share.

But. Would it have added 2% to it? I doubt it. I think it would probably have narrowed the gap somewhat. And 50.5:49.5 would have made for a very exciting evening.
    I think Corbyn gets a hard time from the Remain side. I think he put the socialist case for a reformed EU and would have garnered a fair amount of support for the EU. The question is, to what extent did those Labour voters who don't really care about the EU take the referendum as an opportunity to kick Cameron? Would a Cooper or Burnham on a platform have convinced enough of them that this really was bigger than party politics and that they should vote Remain? And would enough have voted to Remain to make up for the those on the Left who would have been furious to see a Labour leader campaigning with a Tory PM?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I accept that Corbyn is a courteous man, one with a sense of humour - not always on show but given the attacks on him, that's not too surprising - a relatively humble individual who is still in many ways the never-grown-up student 1970s activist he always was, despite his office, title and income. But attractive or endearing those qualities might be, they're far from sufficient to make a prime minister.

Really? I think his blanking of Cameron was not courteous. He redeemed himself slightly at Dave's last PMQs. But 'Jeremy' can let his politics override basic politeness. He does nothing to stop his mob.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I actually think one of the reasons that the remain camp lost is because they didn't do this exercise, or if they did then they didn't take seriously the findings. I do hope the Tories are conducting opposition research and are coming up with arguments against Jeremy Corbyn. Whatever you or I think of him doesn't really matter, we're going to vote Conservative anyway. From a certain point of view Corbyn offers exactly what people want and hopefully the government can see that and not do what the remain camp did by telling people with little or nothing to lose that they would lose out from leaving the EU. Telling those same people that they will lose out from a Corbyn premiership might not be the best idea, if those rarely vote types can be mobilised for Corbyn then it becomes a real fight.
    Many of those who vote for Corbyn would think that it proved their altruism if you persuaded them that a Corbyn premiership would be bad for them personally.

It is a concern that no matter how ridiculous and pathetic Corbyn has been Labour only rarely dip below 30% in the polls. Fatally poor for an opposition as we approach mid term of course but a bed rock of support no matter what. The Labour brand remains worth fighting for.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

It is a calumny.

Jezza photoshopped onto James Bond in Casino Royale.

No way should Jezza be associated with the patrician lackey of the establishment and persecutor of the freedom fighters of SPECTRE.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,950

I'd add one point. His "new politics" style is, despite derision here and elsewhere, quite widely respected. I have several normally Tory friends who think him the most attractive Labour politician, because they see that he maintains a serious, issue-focused manner when the default in politics is a sound-bite and an attack on someone else. (Snip)

You are joking, right?

The whole train mess was because he was trying to get a soundbite out, and it turned out he couldn't even do that without lying. Then when it gets messy, his little (both intellectually and morally) minion McDonnell attacks Branson personally.

His politics is nothing but attacking other people, and he does much to encourage his 'followers' who go further. As someone notes below, the Chakrabati (sp?) report, and his behaviour regarding it, was a new low for Labour.

There was a certain "cult of Maggie" during the 1980s amongst some of her supporters. Major, Brown and Cameron had no such cult, and Blair had it to a lesser extent.

Corbyn is a massive cult, and many of his supporters (though not all) are cultists. He can do no wrong. He is the Messiah. Anyone questioning his word should be attacked, whether they are right or wrong.

There are signs of this all over my FB feed (yes, I know). It's quite sad.

The Cult of Corbyn.
  • Options

British man who tried to save the woman attacked by an Islamist terrorist has died:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37216792

Good luck finding any mention of that in the report, though.

I think that's because he wasn't an Islamic terrorist...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/29/mother-of-murdered-british-backpacker-says-claims-alleged-killer-an-islamist-are-nonsense
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

Good morning all.

Hence my 'perhaps'.
    You appear to be missing my point.

Antisemitism is racism, therefore an antisemite is a racist.

And therefore "he might be an antisemite but he definitely isn't a racist" is logically invalid.

It has to be, as otherwise a person could validly say "I'm not racist, I just hate the Jews", which I hope we'd all agree was absurd.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    I wandered back to Sunday's discussion on areas for Plato to buy a house in and noticed someone mentioned Bishop Auckland. Having spent yesterday at Auckland Castle I would whole-heartedly recommend the place as by the time the Castle reopens and the new Spanish Museum it will definitely be up and coming...

As for rsc1000's comments regarding stamp duty being inappropriate for main house prices the other solution is capital gains tax on all non-indexed profits.. Sadly that's one of those things you can't do from here.
  • Options

I'd add one point. His "new politics" style is, despite derision here and elsewhere, quite widely respected. I have several normally Tory friends who think him the most attractive Labour politician, because they see that he maintains a serious, issue-focused manner when the default in politics is a sound-bite and an attack on someone else. (Snip)

You are joking, right?

The whole train mess was because he was trying to get a soundbite out, and it turned out he couldn't even do that without lying. Then when it gets messy, his little (both intellectually and morally) minion McDonnell attacks Branson personally.

His politics is nothing but attacking other people, and he does much to encourage his 'followers' who go further. As someone notes below, the Chakrabati (sp?) report, and his behaviour regarding it, was a new low for Labour.

There was a certain "cult of Maggie" during the 1980s amongst some of her supporters. Major, Brown and Cameron had no such cult, and Blair had it to a lesser extent.

Corbyn is a massive cult, and many of his supporters (though not all) are cultists. He can do no wrong. He is the Messiah. Anyone questioning his word should be attacked, whether they are right or wrong.

The Cult of Corbyn.
    "Corbyn is a massive cult"

Is there a typo in there somewhere?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Many of those who vote for Corbyn would think that it proved their altruism if you persuaded them that a Corbyn premiership would be bad for them personally.

It is a concern that no matter how ridiculous and pathetic Corbyn has been Labour only rarely dip below 30% in the polls. Fatally poor for an opposition as we approach mid term of course but a bed rock of support no matter what. The Labour brand remains worth fighting for.

I think what should worry the Cons more is people who have nothing to lose essentially taking a punt on something different. That's one of the key factors of the leave victory. Those 1.7m "rarely vote" types seem to have done exactly that and persuading someone who is struggling to find meaningful employment, barely surviving on a mixture of low wages and state handouts that they have something to lose is not easy, Osborne tried it with the punishment budget nonsense but that was kicked into touch an hour after it was revealed by Tory MPs who had just threatened to vote down their own benefit cuts a few weeks earlier.

Showing people treasury or IFS reports which say that Corbyn will have to cut £Xbn because "Y" policy will result in slower growth isn't enough either. Hopefully the government has learned that lesson as well.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, did he not shout "Allahu Akbar"?

[If he did not, of course I'll retract that comment. But this is another problem with just not reporting terrorist killings accurately].
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I got the GE in 2015 really wrong in Scotland because I thought the same thing: that there would be people who had voted Labour all their lives, and would never vote anything else. The brand was everything, and there would be some swingback from their dire position in the polls. I said as such on here (thus proving my lack of political nous).

But I was wrong, and Labour got annihilated in Scotand. And it was not as if Labour voters sat on their hands: turnout was up a lot.

The Labour brand is worth fighting for as long as it does not become poisoned, as Scottish Labour did for a number of reasons; most notably Falkirk.
  • Options

You are joking, right?

The Cult of Corbyn.

Either works well IMO.
  • Options

I got the GE in 2015 really wrong in Scotland because I thought the same thing: that there would be people who had voted Labour all their lives, and would never vote anything else. The brand was everything, and there would be some swingback from their dire position in the polls. I said as such on here (thus proving my lack of political nous).

But I was wrong, and Labour got annihilated in Scotand. And it was not as if Labour voters sat on their hands: turnout was up a lot.

The Labour brand is worth fighting for as long as it does not become poisoned, as Scottish Labour did for a number of reasons; most notably Falkirk.

That really only works when there is a receptacle for Labour voters or Labour types to vote for. So far neither the Lib Dems nor UKIP are making any headway and obviously the Greens may as well declare for Corbyn. I doubt the Tories would be able to offer enough to previous Labour supporters such as SouthamObserver or Jonathon, both of whom will be looking for new homes if Corbyn holds on until 2020.
  • Options

Mr. Root, did he not shout "Allahu Akbar"?

[If he did not, of course I'll retract that comment. But this is another problem with just not reporting terrorist killings accurately].

He may well have done, but just because he might have or even did does not make him a terrorist. No evidence has come out to that effect, and he didn't apparently attend mosque.

its far too easy to brand Muslim and terrorist together.even if the person said ""Allahu Akbar"

Its very dangerous to do so and the BBC in this instance are right to take extreme caution as the fist step. asnd until events prove otherwise.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I think what should worry the Cons more is people who have nothing to lose essentially taking a punt on something different. That's one of the key factors of the leave victory. Those 1.7m "rarely vote" types seem to have done exactly that and persuading someone who is struggling to find meaningful employment, barely surviving on a mixture of low wages and state handouts that they have something to lose is not easy, Osborne tried it with the punishment budget nonsense but that was kicked into touch an hour after it was revealed by Tory MPs who had just threatened to vote down their own benefit cuts a few weeks earlier.

Showing people treasury or IFS reports which say that Corbyn will have to cut £Xbn because "Y" policy will result in slower growth isn't enough either. Hopefully the government has learned that lesson as well.
    I guess Corbyn will say that the 2% of GDP (£35bn?) that currently goes on Defence of the Realm will be much better spent elsewhere?

But good point about the disaffected. It drove Brexit and it's driving Trump in the US. May and the Tories need to be careful about it, possibly even hope that UKIP can take that space rather than Corbyn. A good UKIP showing could let a few Tories in through the middle in marginals, and maybe a few MPs of their own taken from Labour.
  • Options

You are joking, right?

The Cult of Corbyn.

LOL :D
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Sandpit said:

You are joking, right?

The Cult of Corbyn.

LOL :D
    :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I guess Corbyn will say that the 2% of GDP (£35bn?) that currently goes on Defence of the Realm will be much better spent elsewhere?
    "We spend £7bn on nuclear weapons and submarines every year, let's fund the NHS instead"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That really only works when there is a receptacle for Labour voters or Labour types to vote for. So far neither the Lib Dems nor UKIP are making any headway and obviously the Greens may as well declare for Corbyn. I doubt the Tories would be able to offer enough to previous Labour supporters such as SouthamObserver or Jonathon, both of whom will be looking for new homes if Corbyn holds on until 2020.
    Indeed. But there is another alternative: that they sit on their hands. Corbyn needs to appeal to 'traditional' Labour voters - not just his cultists supporters to get out and vote.

IMO that's where Labour will be hurt at the GE compared to the polling. His appeal is far too narrow.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - PPP

Clinton 48 .. Trump 43

Note - 97% of black voters have an unfavourable opinion of Trump and prefer bed bugs, middle seats on planes and the bubonic plague to the Donald .... :smiley:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Really? I think his blanking of Cameron was not courteous. He redeemed himself slightly at Dave's last PMQs. But 'Jeremy' can let his politics override basic politeness. He does nothing to stop his mob.
    I agree that he lets politics override his politeness and far too easily allows political disagreements to frame his personal interaction - I very much doubt he does smalltalk well unless on a subject he's interested in - and those are fatal flaws for someone who is in a position where it's essential to be able to work with people who will oppose you on policy grounds and who are after your job. It's even more fatal in someone who aspires to be a PM, where the national interests require adhering to the norms of diplomacy.

But his preferred form of aggression is - as with the Cameron example you cite - avoidance or the act of not engaging if circumstances require. But where he is forced into it, his manner generally remains polite even if his words are sarcastic.

Re your point on his unwillingness to restrain his mob, I get the impression that he thinks that denouncing the act is of itself sufficient, without the need to reference specific examples. But again I agree, he seems to have a strange disconnect between denouncing aggressive behaviour and failing to address it where he has the power to do so.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Excellent trolling TSE.

The worry is that you could have written a similar article about Hitler* in his rise to power.

* I thought we'd get Godwin out the way early for today.

:lol:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

"We spend £7bn on nuclear weapons and submarines every year, let's fund the NHS instead"
    In tribute to Anthony Jay:

Hacker: how many starving African children could be saved if Britain abandoned its nuclear weapons programme?

Humphrey: The answer is none. They'd spend all the money on conventional weapons instead,
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

There was also an alternative readily available in Scotland to lifelong Labour voters; one which was both effective (wouldn't let Tories in either locally or nationally), and left-wing. Indeed, one which trumpeted its anti-Toryness from the SIndyRef (even if that hugely oversimplified a complex situation).

In England, there isn't as yet an alternative that could do the same. UKIP appeals to social conservatives but if it had 50 seats in a hung parliament, who would it back? Likewise, the Lib Dems remain distrusted. The Greens are threatened more by Corbyn than the other way round, while a breakaway SDP2 faces all the same problems (and more) that did for SDP1.
This discussion has been closed.