Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Palmer on What next if Corbyn sweeps the board?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Palmer on What next if Corbyn sweeps the board?

First, the YouGov poll is just one poll, which as we know could be quite wrong. But it fits with CLP nominations, widespread anecdotal evidence and the implications of the increase in membership. This article, for the sake of argument, will assume that the poll is correct. What happens next?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Chortle .. :smile:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    JackW said:

Second, even with advanced warning! :(
  • Options
    Only the true Messiah denies His divinity!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Second, even with advanced warning! :(
    I condole .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Betting Post

FPT:

F1: put a tiny sum on Vettel, and even less on Raikkonen [to equalise profit] on them to win each way at 17 and 29 respectively [Ladbrokes]. That's top 2.

In the races so far, Mercedes have a surprisingly low three occasions of 1-2 finishes. Vettel has been 2nd three times (thirteen races so far). Monza should be better for Ferrari, and they were basically a match for Red Bull at Spa, so they should be directly behind Mercedes in case anything goes wrong.

My main concern is that Vettel's been rubbish at wheel-to-wheel stuff at the start. Against that, Mercedes have started a bit ropily too.

Anyway, tiny sums, do at your own risk, etc and so forth. Won't count in my weekly records, of course. Unless I also tip it in the weekend articles.
    Flag Quote · Off Topic
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,281
    wrt Apple, I think a bit of lateral thinking/channeling Aesop is required here.

The EU should fine Ireland $13bn and then leave it up to them whether they ask Apple to reimburse them.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"If Labour wins"

NP, you actually really seriously considering that?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

The EU should fine Ireland $13bn and then leave it up to them whether they ask Apple to reimburse them.

That'd go down well :D
  • Options
    Thanks Nick
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2016
    ''The EU should fine Ireland $13bn and then leave it up to them whether they ask Apple to reimburse them. ''

If the EU's prepared to do this to Ireland's economy, (which it merely doesn;t care about), imagine what it would have done to the City (which it mightily detests).
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2016
    I think Nick is broadly right on this. To put it more succinctly, sensible Labour MPs (and activists, and voters) are stuffed whatever they do.

What's more, I don't see that they would be any less stuffed if by some miracle Owen Smith were to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. The Corbynistas and their fellow travellers are still going to be there, and angry. They might even split off themselves, achieving similar effects to those Nick describes for SDP Mk II. And Smith has not exactly dazzled us with the brilliance of his debating, campaigning, leadership, policy development, or organisational skills. He might even be worse than Corbyn.

Those sane Labour MPs and party members who don't drift off in disgust and frustration will just have to lie low for a few years, until something else turns up.

Edit: More positively, at least they have Sadiq Khan, and potentially other Labour mayors coming along, to act as a rallying-point.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The option(s) ignored by Nick are that Corbyn stays, Labour is annihilated in 2020, and the remnant of MPs merge with LibDems.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,950
    Good article until the last paragraph. Given that we have boundary changes about to be announced and with it a reduction in seats exactly how many Labour MPs have a safe seat that another Labour MP won't also desire and have at least a partial claim to.....

As the reduction in seats mean that many MPs are going to be up for reselection in a newly created constituency I don't think an MP can keep suitable invisible to remain safe...
  • Options

Those sane Labour MPs and party members who don't drift off in disgust and frustration will just have to lie low for a few years, until something else turns up.

But it might not. What is the point of the Labour party in a globalised, Brexited, 'there is no money left' world? What's it selling? There may be no redemption around the corner. If May is pushing the Tories towards a One Nation, Competitive, Proud, Trading, sound money, centre ground / centre right outlook what is the vision for Labour? Right now the country to emulate appears to be Venezuela.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    It may not have been the intention of the article, but it is a damning criticism of our voting system in so many ways.

The bit of comedy 'if Labour wins' was a nice touch...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nearly Headless Nick's head will slip off his shoulders easily if a Corbyn tainted labour slides into Trotskyist land, which it looks like doing. Poor chap; who often complained that Boris was a buffoon. Look who the real buffoons are now!
  • Options

I think Nick is broadly right on this. To put it more succinctly, sensible Labour MPs (and activists, and voters) are stuffed whatever they do.

What's more, I don't see that they would be any less stuffed if by some miracle Owen Smith were to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. The Corbynistas and their fellow travellers are still going to be there, and angry. They might even split off themselves, achieving similar effects to those Nick describes for SDP Mk II. And Smith has not exactly dazzled us with the brilliance of his debating, campaigning, leadership, policy development, or organisational skills. He might even be worse than Corbyn.

Edit: More positively, at least they have Sadiq Khan, and potentially other Labour mayors coming along, to act as a rallying-point.

But when was the last time that these 'sensible' 'sane' Labour MPs did anything either sensible or sane?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Cheers for the article and yes, this is how things might well work out. However, Corbyn is still Corbyn. He started off with goodwill last year and look how it ended up. Nothing about putting past divisions behind us will prevent grumbling at the next traingate - and there will be many traingates because Corbyn isn't interested in the discipline that's needed to lead a broad-church party, nor does he have the skills to do it even were he so inclined.

I'd also take issue with the assertion that "dramatic change comes a little less quickly and cleanly than one might expect". I'd phrase it as "dramatic change comes a little less often or cleanly than the commentariat expects". But I'd add the rider that when dramatic change does come, like buses it comes in groups. The logic says that Labour and SDP2 would both be damaged by a split but then the logic also says that Labour will be damaged by re-electing Corbyn.

I don't know whether Nick really is blind to the scale of the trouble that Labour's in or whether he's just not admitting it but Corbyn and the PLP cannot cohabit for another three years if he carries on as he has done. Something has to go, whether it be him, his way of working, or them. I do expect a split of some nature if Corbyn stays to 2020 but at the moment, I'd say it's more likely to be half-a-dozen than a hundred MPs and end in irrelevance. I wouldn't rule out the hundred-scenario though.

There is another point that Nick touches on. Waiting until 2020 will probably not just mean accepting Corbyn, his policies, a very changed membership and a successor leader from the left, it's likely to mean changed rules and central personnel as well. If you are on the Progress wing and looking at 2030 before getting a sniff of power, do you really see your future as being in Labour?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the article Nick.

What it ignores is that the majority of the PLP simply disagree with Jezza on critical policy issues. It will be difficult for a refilled cabinet to get on with the job when, for example, they disagree with the Leader (and the Leader disagrees with Labour Party policy) on eg. Trident, some of the barmier nationalisations, the armed forces, etc, etc, etc.

What you describe indeed will likely be the case but Lab will remain a dysfunctional and hugely ineffective opposition. The tragedy is not that Jezza doesn't see that, but that he doesn't seem to care.

Oh and of course a Jezza-led Lab will be destroyed in 2020.

Far better for him to split together with his leftist MPs, they all form a new left party, hold elections if they want to do the honourable thing, and do a UKIP. ie bide their time until the country is ready for a hard left government.

That would be the honourable thing to do.
  • Options
    I expect Momentum to go after some of the London MPs for deselection. I can see Stella Creasy and Heidi Alexander being particular targets
  • Options
    The question that many former shadow ministers are asking: How would we have any credibility if we go back?

They resigned expressing no confidence in Corbyn, many with different and detailed tales of how disfunctional things were. They voted no confidence in Corbyn. Yet to have a fully staffed shadow government many of them will need to go back - and if not them then other MPs who voted no confidence.

How do they handle John Humphries? "Yes shadow minister what you've just said is interesting. But you resigned having no confidence in your leader. Now you sit here saying not only do you have confidence in him but voters should as well. What changed?"

Politically this was why I thought the resignations would finish Him. And why even now it probably will still finish Him. His team have no confidence in him. Who would vote for a government where the ministers don't trust the PM?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    IanB2 said:

It may not have been the intention of the article, but it is a damning criticism of our voting system in so many ways.

Well in 2020 they either win or lose.

Nick is not wrong :)
  • Options

The question that many former shadow ministers are asking: How would we have any credibility if we go back?

Pay close attention to Smith's concession speech. "Now it is time to get behind Jeremy" - NAILED ON.
  • Options

They resigned expressing no confidence in Corbyn, many with different and detailed tales of how disfunctional things were. They voted no confidence in Corbyn. Yet to have a fully staffed shadow government many of them will need to go back - and if not them then other MPs who voted no confidence.

How do they handle John Humphries? "Yes shadow minister what you've just said is interesting. But you resigned having no confidence in your leader. Now you sit here saying not only do you have confidence in him but voters should as well. What changed?"

Politically this was why I thought the resignations would finish Him. And why even now it probably will still finish Him. His team have no confidence in him. Who would vote for a government where the ministers don't trust the PM?

Exactement. They can't "get on with the job" when there remain poisonous divisions.
  • Options

I expect Momentum to go after some of the London MPs for deselection. I can see Stella Creasy and Heidi Alexander being particular targets

The effort and damage in toppling someone as highly regarded as Creasy would make this a foolish place to start. Far better to target a chunk of the rebel non-entities of whom no-one has heard.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But when was the last time that these 'sensible' 'sane' Labour MPs did anything either sensible or sane?
    To be fair, after accidentally installing Corbyn as leader, they've done all they reasonably could to get rid - though they've dithered too much at times and it was a mistake to go with Smith rather than, for example, a woman.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Patrick said:

But it might not. What is the point of the Labour party in a globalised, Brexited, 'there is no money left' world? What's it selling? There may be no redemption around the corner. If May is pushing the Tories towards a One Nation, Competitive, Proud, Trading, sound money, centre ground / centre right outlook what is the vision for Labour? Right now the country to emulate appears to be Venezuela.
    We do not know whether the boundaries will be approved. Parliament will not vote until Autumn 2018.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,492
    WRT to the Moltex nuclear power discussion in the previous thread, molten salt itself is now a relatively proven technology since the commissioning of the Andasol solar thermal plant in Spain. The £30m Moltex are asking for in order to clear regulatory hurdles is minute in the context of the many billions cost of (the also currently unproven tech. of) Hinckley C.

There's some interesting detail (which I was unable to find elsewhere) of what they think are their key advantages in the comments section here:
    http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/2016/08/11/dont-worry-british-nuclear-doesnt-have-all-its-eggs-in-one-basket/

It may not prove successful, but it represents a far smaller gamble, with a far greater potential upside, than does Hinckley, IMO.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I don't see why. The merit of our voting system is that it forces parties to assemble a coherent and credible coalition before putting themselves forward for election, if they want to be in government. That's a feature, not a bug. It's hardly the fault of the voting system that, in defiance of all electoral logic, Labour has decided to do the opposite.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. B, welcome to pb.com. Interesting post too.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

To be fair, after accidentally installing Corbyn as leader, they've done all they reasonably could to get rid - though they've dithered too much at times and it was a mistake to go with Smith rather than, for example, a woman.
    I think Corbyn hasn't been in long enough for Labour to "learn any lessons" yet. Corbyn in place till 2020, and Labour out of power till 2035. I think that is the punishment to fit the crime as it were.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Plenty of other alternatives. Do not exist. Don't participate. Tie.

None very likely, so win or lose represents the likely outcomes.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

IanB2 said:

I don't agree. They could have done some work on a credible policy platform to address some of the difficult questions facing the left (their backing for Smith and his identikit Corbyn platform is pitiful, in the circumstances). They could have found someone who is actually a credible leader to actually lead. They could have been a bit more courageous than spreading non-attributable dirt about their own party to the press. They might have come up with a more considered strategy than resigning one at a time over three days and then having not the slightest idea what to do next. They could even have sorted out who from Eagle and Smith would make the initial challenge before they pushed over the first domino. Or given a second or two to think about some plan Bs if their plan A, such as it was, didn't work.

Indeed it is hard to see anything that they have done right IMHO.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Patrick said:

We do not know whether the boundaries will be approved. Parliament will not vote until Autumn 2018.
    As they are a manifesto commitment how can they not be implemented....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Nigelb said:

WRT to the Moltex nuclear power discussion in the previous thread, molten salt itself is now a relatively proven technology since the commissioning of the Andasol solar thermal plant in Spain. The £30m Moltex are asking for in order to clear regulatory hurdles is minute in the context of the many billions cost of (the also currently unproven tech. of) Hinckley C.

There's some interesting detail (which I was unable to find elsewhere) of what they think are their key advantages in the comments section here:
    http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/2016/08/11/dont-worry-british-nuclear-doesnt-have-all-its-eggs-in-one-basket/

It may not prove successful, but it represents a far smaller gamble, with a far greater potential upside, than does Hinckley, IMO.

The price comparison is probably not fair, since clearing regulatory hurdles and building a reactor are two very different things.

Also, I'm not sure how the solar plant makes a molten salt nuclear reactor proven.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Pulpstar said:

Pay close attention to Smith's concession speech. "Now it is time to get behind Jeremy" - NAILED ON.
    No-one will believe anyone who says that.

You can't spend 10 months saying how awful he is and then do a complete flipflop and say that you will serve under him.

We have seen that the policy-making systems under Corbyn are not fit for purpose. We have seen that bullying and violence are seemingly embedded into the thinking of his supporters.

How can anyone with any moral compass sign up to that?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Quick responses:

To eeek: MPs with an interest in 40% of a new constituency are considered by Labour to be sitting MPs with the advantages related to that. So the cases where two MPs collide are those constituencies where two MPs both have more than 40% of the new patch. I don't have an exact analysis (indeed we can't until we see the recommendations), but it's likely to be a small number.

To the people who ask derisively if I'm serious that Labour could win: the article doesn't express a view and isn't about that. But it's unwise to assume anything for certain in politics.

To IanB2: yes, FPTP sucks in the modern world. A fair reflection of the modern range of opinion desperately needs PR.

To Topping: I think you overestimate the degree to which the divisions are policy-driven. Sure, there's Trident, but Corbyn has essentially said MPs must vote as they think fit on that, and on other issues like NATO and the monarchy he's deferred to the balance of opinion against change. On austerity, conversely, most Labour MPs now seem basically to accept the left's position that it was excessive before and is certainly not appropriate now. MPs are worried about winning, not about the fine points of the potential manifesto.

To David H: I think there will be some effort from both sides to bridge the gap, but it doesn't take very much for discontented marriages to muddle on - basically that neither side goes out of its way to start a new fight.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,608
    TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

At its root, the Commission’s case is not about how much Apple pays in taxes. It is about which government collects the money

http://reaction.life/?p=788?ts
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Nearly Headless Nick's head will slip off his shoulders easily if a Corbyn tainted labour slides into Trotskyist land, which it looks like doing. Poor chap; who often complained that Boris was a buffoon. Look who the real buffoons are now!

"Trotskyism is a tool of the capitalists!"

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

At its root, the Commission’s case is not about how much Apple pays in taxes. It is about which government collects the money

Then why are they asking for more?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The effort and damage in toppling someone as highly regarded as Creasy would make this a foolish place to start. Far better to target a chunk of the rebel non-entities of whom no-one has heard.
    Nick mentions Danczuk in that regard, which is a good call. Apart from anything else, he'd be a candidate for deslection simply based on his erratic behaviour.
  • Options

Quick responses:
    MPs are worried about winning, not about the fine points of the potential manifesto.

Thanks Nick. Not what we had been lead to believe about New Old Labour.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

Plenty of other alternatives. Do not exist. Don't participate. Tie.

None very likely, so win or lose represents the likely outcomes.
    Tying is not an option, and repeats the error that the winner of an election is the one with most seats. It isn't. It's the one who gets their nominee into No 10.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nick mentions Danczuk in that regard, which is a good call. Apart from anything else, he'd be a candidate for deslection simply based on his erratic behaviour.
    Yes, Labour's Lembit would also be a good place to start
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No-one will believe anyone who says that.
    Just watch :)
  • Options

MPs are worried about winning, not about the fine points of the potential manifesto.

Are they worried about their chances of winning or the consequences to the economy if Labour did win....

• Options
    edited August 2016
    eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Because there will be Tory rebels - as was the case when this came to a vote in the last Parliament. Moreover , by Autumn 2018 the Government's majority may have been eroded to - say - 8 or 6.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Fancy our Sunil quoting CPGP Leaflet which is full of stalinist bollocks anyway. Could it be that Sunil is a secret KGB member? ;)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

"In politics, as in the rest of life, dramatic change comes a little less quickly and cleanly than one might expect."

Nick Palmer

Miliband to loony left ... in the blink of an eye.

• Options

"In politics, as in the rest of life, dramatic change comes a little less quickly and cleanly than one might expect."

Nick Palmer

Miliband to loony left ... in the blink of an eye.

They are not much different from one another: Mad Miliband to Crazy Corbyn.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Because there will be Tory rebels - as was the case when this came to a vote in the last Parliament. Moreover , by Autumn 2018 the Government's majority may have been eroded to - say - 8 or 6.
    true but given that its a manifesto promise its probably wiser to assume it will be implemented rather than it won't be and plan on that basis.

Nick answered the question though so it may not be that much of an issue...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Fancy our Sunil quoting CPGP Leaflet which is full of stalinist bollocks anyway. Could it be that Sunil is a secret KGB member? ;)
    No @MikeK - don't shoot the messenger!

Just pointing out that many on the left see Trotskyism as "counter-revolutionary"!

viz.
    If we wish to liberate our world from imperialist exploitation and oppression, we must first rid our movement of all pro-imperialist, social-democratic ideology, not least the r-r-revolutionary garbage of Trotskyism.

• Options
    NPXMP: In politics, as in the rest of life, dramatic change comes a little less quickly and cleanly than one might expect.

Yes - it was a very quiet summer politically.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Great post.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Four of them, one now a cabinet minister who would have to abstain or be fired.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, Labour's Lembit would also be a good place to start
    And if this was the poster seat for deselection with 2 Labourish candidates, then I wonder what state the Rochdale Lib Dem party is in - LD seat until 2010.
  • Options
    Nick you need to address the credibility issue. Politically I can't see how any of the 172 MPs voting no confidence can then serve in his shadow team.

I have no confidence in the leader. What is the excuse why they now have confidence? His mandate? Which will have changed how?

For me this is what makes this whole fandango so absurd - it truly is anti-politics. Jezbollah keep insisting everything has changed. But human psychology hasn't. The way people get political information and make decisions hasn't. The electoral system hasn't. Nor is it really new politics - Traingate demonstrates that Team Corbyn participate in the old politics (spin) but are utterly shit at it.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2016
    Nick "Widespread deselections are unlikely ..."
    :smile::smiley:
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

Have to disagree David. Just about everything they have done has had the effect of strengthening his support amongst the very people they need to win over, to vote him out.

They went after him too heavy, too soon. Jamie Reed resigned within minutes of Corbyn being elected leader and ever since then there have been numerous Labour MP's briefing against him in the media. All this has served to do is to provide Corbyn with the perfect defence in their eyes of his adoring supporters.

He was never given a chance and has been attacked and undermined by the majority of the PLP who seem more interested in attacking their own leader than attacking the government. Of course polling figures for both Corbyn and Labour are going to be poor if the PLP has declared war on its own leader. These are the things that most Corbyn supporters will say.

However, if the PLP rebels believe their own hype, that Corbyn is unelectable, then the better way to have approached it would have been to show tepid support and loyalty to him and let the polling figures tell their own story. If Labour had been polling 27% at the moment and there had been no Parliamentary revolt, then Corbyn would be losing his supporters in large enough numbers to allow a challenger to depose him.

Every step of the way, every attack and criticism that has been instigated by his own MP's, has bolstered Corbyn's support amongst the more recently joining members and there are a lot more of them than there are pre 2015 members.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    An interesting piece from Mr Palmer. But I feel that he is excessively optimistic in his assessment of the prospects of "SDP2" Labour MPs.

"They could reasonably hope not to have Lib Dem opposition" eh? I wonder where that comes from.

The original SDP was set up with the encouragement of the leadership of the Liberal Party. So far, I have seen no sign that the leadership of the Lib Dems is encouraging the rudderless Labour MPs to form a separate party.

If they take a step back and look dispassionately at the current state of Labour, and then at what the Lib Dems stand for, and decide that at heart they identify with the Lib Dems, that is another matter entirely. I think that, in that case, they would be welcome.

But not if they keep their authoritarian Labour characteristics. In that case they would feel much more at home in the party of Mrs May. Or Corbinite Labour, of course.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Except that would mean the $13bn ends up net in the EU's coffers when it should have been in Ireland's coffers. That would be nothing other than a dirty money grab.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Others abstained and last time it was widely expected that the changes would be blocked . Apparently Tory MPs with serious doubts felt safe to vote for them in that knowledge. Tory MPs from Wales are not likely to be happy.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    eek said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

true but given that its a manifesto promise its probably wiser to assume it will be implemented rather than it won't be and plan on that basis.

Nick answered the question though so it may not be that much of an issue...
    If it does get through the Commons, would the Labour / Lib Dem parties veto in the Lords? Would be very poor form to kill a manifesto commitment in that way, but it's such an existential threat to both parties they might feel they have nothing to lose (and the Lib Dems would have fewer qualms about provoking Lords reform.)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,407
    Nick, none of the scenario you outline above seems unreasonable. But can I just ask you to clarify something? At the end of point 2 above where you suggest quite a few retire - are we looking at applications for the Chiltern Hundreds? Or just waiting out this parliament? I would expect a lot of the former - there must be Labour MPs for whom this is all pretty horrible and could do reasonably easily find something more fulfilling to do than soldier on in the current circumstances.
    Not that that would have any particularly interesting long-term implications - you would expect Labour to hold most by-elections while in opposition, even when riding low in the polls.
  • Options
    Very good piece, Nick. The only thing missing, so far as I can see, is the strong overlap between "oppositionism" and socialism or leftism of any sort. To most left activists, your time in Parliament produced "Labour men and Tory measures" and they have no desire to repeat that.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I'm expecting them to fall back in line and maybe try again in a year or two but unless the whole setup and rules of the party change I don't see how they can depose him until he decides to walk away himself in 2020 when Labour lose.

I still think they should split, if you have no faith whatsoever in the leader or the direction the party is going in then you should do something. There is nothing stopping the party splitting and then maybe merging again further down the line when Corbyn and his Momentum nutters have buggered off. If they don't leave then you position this new party in the centre left ground that Corbyn's Labour has surrendered and kill Corbyn's party off.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Cough.. You know Nick Palmer never says anything on here he knows not to be true ;)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    BudG said:

Have to disagree David. Just about everything they have done has had the effect of strengthening his support amongst the very people they need to win over, to vote him out.

They went after him too heavy, too soon. Jamie Reed resigned within minutes of Corbyn being elected leader and ever since then there have been numerous Labour MP's briefing against him in the media. All this has served to do is to provide Corbyn with the perfect defence in their eyes of his adoring supporters.

He was never given a chance and has been attacked and undermined by the majority of the PLP who seem more interested in attacking their own leader than attacking the government. Of course polling figures for both Corbyn and Labour are going to be poor if the PLP has declared war on its own leader. These are the things that most Corbyn supporters will say.

However, if the PLP rebels believe their own hype, that Corbyn is unelectable, then the better way to have approached it would have been to show tepid support and loyalty to him and let the polling figures tell their own story. If Labour had been polling 27% at the moment and there had been no Parliamentary revolt, then Corbyn would be losing his supporters in large enough numbers to allow a challenger to depose him.

Every step of the way, every attack and criticism that has been instigated by his own MP's, has bolstered Corbyn's support amongst the more recently joining members and there are a lot more of them than there are pre 2015 members.

I have to disagree with you on that. It was clear from his first days when he took forever to assemble his first shadow team that he was failing from the very outset.

It should have been clear to him that he was the likely winner last September and he should have been better prepared. But he wasn't.

He took days and days to bring together a Shadow Cabinet - appointing people he had never spoken to in the past, giving Angela Eagle a special title when it became clear that he hadn't appointed a woman to a senior position and so forth.

That set the tone and things went downhill from there.

As a serial rebel, he was never going to be able to inspire others to be loyal to him when it was clear he was never loyal to anyone in the past.

This was further highlighted with the big split over supporting military action against ISIS. He was upstaged by Hilary Benn and that diminished him further.

If he had made a confident start, perhaps things might not have got so bad, so quickly. But he failed his first test as leader and the rest is history.
  • Options
    FPT

@RobD
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I thought the polls were typically good for remain?

They were at the end, but the an average of the polls around 10 days out were astoundingly good for Brexit:

I did an analysis of the implied probability and Brexit peaked at ~87% about a week out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AQoI3SjmZta2KL1wMSHWrUozrFiXGfrqRq1U7fGhyAU/edit?usp=sharing

The graph remains even though the huffpost data it was based on is gone.

Note how dead in the water Brexit looked about a month out from the vote, and also the sharp swing back to Remain... (Populus 'polls' in play maybe..)#

A month out, Brexit looked dead.
    3 weeks out the tide began to turn - Brexit was ahead looking from 3 weeks to 1 week out

1 week to polling day the polls swung back to remain,
    The final polling analysis suggested remain, but the volatility was such that Brexit was value on the betting front.
  • Options
    BudG said:

Jamie Reed resigning is nothing to be criticised, he recognised he couldn't and shouldn't serve under Corbyn. Fair enough. Corbyn and McDonnell couldn't and didn't serve under Blair so its not exactly unique. Reed's resignation terminated Reed's shadow ministerial career it wasn't an attempt to terminate Corbyn's leadership.

Where the PLP rebels have been absurdly stupid was in using Brexit rather than eg poor local election results in 2017 as the trigger for mass resignations and a challenge. Corbyn's lukewarm ambivalent support for the EU was far more in tune with the nation than Smith's rabid Europhilia. It was moronic to launch a coup claiming "we are more in tune with the nation because the nation just rejected what we wanted".
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

If you read The Commission's case, this doesn't seem to be true:
    Under the agreed method, most profits were internally allocated away from Ireland to a "head office" within Apple Sales International. This "head office" was not based in any country and did not have any employees or own premises. Its activities consisted solely of occasional board meetings. Only a fraction of the profits of Apple Sales International were allocated to its Irish branch and subject to tax in Ireland. The remaining vast majority of profits were allocated to the "head office", where they remained untaxed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

TOPPING said:

Except that would mean the $13bn ends up net in the EU's coffers when it should have been in Ireland's coffers. That would be nothing other than a dirty money grab.
    Ireland evidently didn't want the money. ;)

Apple deserves to gets hurt by this, both financially and in PR terms. Sadly, I doubt they will be.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Possibly, but the DUP can probably be "accommodated" with something or other and they are not exactly in the market for doing a Labour Party led by J Corbyn of all people any favours are they? So there's 8. 4/5 Sinn Fein don't turn up, and I'm sure Tory HQ have a lovely list of Lordships, Caribbean island governorships, and plum jobs in other international organisations (Nato/UN/Commonwealth - hey that might get a shot of life now) just itching to be given out "for all the good work you've done over the years". Correcting this manifest unfairness has dragged on way too long anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

The Irish aren't asking for more......
  • Options
    Going to sit out this thread...only so many ways to say Jezza isn't the Messiah and besides I have jam to make.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Apple deserves to gets hurt by this, both financially and in PR terms. Sadly, I doubt they will be.
    I fail to see why Apple deserves to be hurt by following both the letter and spirit of the law, set by and according to the government of the nation they're based in.

If the government of Ireland was siding against Apple you may have a point.
  • Options
    Cheers @Pulpstar
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

The price comparison is probably not fair, since clearing regulatory hurdles and building a reactor are two very different things.

Also, I'm not sure how the solar plant makes a molten salt nuclear reactor proven.

It's not a price comparison. The point is that should we proceed with Hinckley, we commit now to spending the many billions, with no guarantee that it will be running in time to replace the obsolete existing reactors. The money for Moltex is not for a commercial reactor, but to give them some chance to prove the tech.
    If they eventually build them, the plants will be much smaller, so the individual risk is an order of magnitude less.

The solar plant proves the large scale use of molten salt as a heat store/heat exchanger. It's been running for several years now.

As far as the running costs are concerned, if their claims are correct, then they are plausible. It's a big 'if', but no bigger than the Hinckley 'if' - and a lot cheaper.
    Again, if it works, it will dispose of a great deal of our high level nuclear waste.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cheers @Pulpstar

As I said previously I'll be trying the same analysis for POTUS.
  • Options

Nick you need to address the credibility issue. Politically I can't see how any of the 172 MPs voting no confidence can then serve in his shadow team.

I have no confidence in the leader. What is the excuse why they now have confidence? His mandate? Which will have changed how?

For me this is what makes this whole fandango so absurd - it truly is anti-politics. Jezbollah keep insisting everything has changed. But human psychology hasn't. The way people get political information and make decisions hasn't. The electoral system hasn't. Nor is it really new politics - Traingate demonstrates that Team Corbyn participate in the old politics (spin) but are utterly shit at it.

With apologies to former BR - "the wrong type of spin!"
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

I'm expecting them to fall back in line and maybe try again in a year or two but unless the whole setup and rules of the party change I don't see how they can depose him until he decides to walk away himself in 2020 when Labour lose.

They *can't* fall back in line. Half the shadow ministerial team will be people who publicly have no confidence in the man. They can't express positive views about him or his policies without looking like gratuitous hypocrites which means they can't be credible shadow ministers. Whether they are appointed as such or not.

This is the point that Jezbollah either have failed to comprehend or are wilfully ignoring. They simply expect that the Radiance of Corbyn will be enough to convert all the doubters once the traitors in the party and the media stop misrepresenting Him. Its laughable.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,468

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

Under the agreed method, most profits were internally allocated away from Ireland to a "head office" within Apple Sales International. This "head office" was not based in any country and did not have any employees or own premises. Its activities consisted solely of occasional board meetings. Only a fraction of the profits of Apple Sales International were allocated to its Irish branch and subject to tax in Ireland. The remaining vast majority of profits were allocated to the "head office", where they remained untaxed.
    Yes it is imo.

Should other countries adjust their rules in accordance with Commission Diktat they will claim a section of the allegedly misallocated money.

I wonder how much Ireland would get to keep given that eg the UK sales, if the same per pop,. would be around 13x bigger?
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

The Irish aren't asking for more......
    But the EU are?
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

I have to disagree with you on that. It was clear from his first days when he took forever to assemble his first shadow team that he was failing from the very outset.

It should have been clear to him that he was the likely winner last September and he should have been better prepared. But he wasn't.

He took days and days to bring together a Shadow Cabinet - appointing people he had never spoken to in the past, giving Angela Eagle a special title when it became clear that he hadn't appointed a woman to a senior position and so forth.

That set the tone and things went downhill from there.

As a serial rebel, he was never going to be able to inspire others to be loyal to him when it was clear he was never loyal to anyone in the past.

This was further highlighted with the big split over supporting military action against ISIS. He was upstaged by Hilary Benn and that diminished him further.

If he had made a confident start, perhaps things might not have got so bad, so quickly. But he failed his first test as leader and the rest is history.

I agree, his failings were there for all to see. My point was that by attacking him so viciously in media briefings the manner of the orchestrated resignations and the vote of no confidence, it simply created sympathy for him and a ready made defence for falling poll ratings. If he had failed despite having his MP's showing support for their leader, the membership would have been more likely to remove him.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    More responses:

PClipp - you might be right that the prospects of an SDP Mk II are even slimmer than I thought. If it merely introduced a new split between different kinds of centrist, it would really be counter-productive.

Rochdale Pioneer: the reality is that the rebel MPs wanted a change in leadership and thought the letter of no confidence was the way to achieve it. It didn't, so it's a dead letter.

Most MPs are perfectly capable of saying "that was then, this is now", or, more explicitly "I felt that in the chaotic situation we had in the spring I couldn't have confidence in the leader, but now that he has a fresh mandate from the party I think we should respect that and I'm glad to serve as Shadow X Minister", and decline to elaborate further. Every practising politician has said far more awkward things than that. As for the Tories throwing it at candidates, I can't see them bothering - "Four years ago you said...but three years ago you said..." - far too arcane to interest voters.

BudG: I agree. Passive, lukewarm cooperation in the first year would have been far more sensible from their viewpoint, ideally using the time to develop an interesting and coherent alternative, which with all due respect to Smith I don't think has really been done yet.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Possibly, but the DUP can probably be "accommodated" with something or other and they are not exactly in the market for doing a Labour Party led by J Corbyn of all people any favours are they? So there's 8. 4/5 Sinn Fein don't turn up, and I'm sure Tory HQ have a lovely list of Lordships, Caribbean island governorships, and plum jobs in other international organisations (Nato/UN/Commonwealth - hey that might get a shot of life now) just itching to be given out "for all the good work you've done over the years". Correcting this manifest unfairness has dragged on way too long anyway.
    The DUP were not helpful when this arose in the last Parliament.It is far from obvious they wish to see a reduction in the number of Northern Ireland MPs.
  • Options

The option(s) ignored by Nick are that Corbyn stays, Labour is annihilated in 2020, and the remnant of MPs merge with LibDems.

Two taxis instead of one? :lol:
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited August 2016
    MattW said:

Yes it is imo.

Should other countries adjust their rules in accordance with Commission Diktat they will claim a section of the allegedly misallocated money.

I wonder how much Ireland would get to keep given that eg the UK sales, if the same per pop,. would be around 13x bigger?

This is true, but it's not what the Commission's bitching about.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Patrick said:

NPXMP: In politics, as in the rest of life, dramatic change comes a little less quickly and cleanly than one might expect.

Yes - it was a very quiet summer politically.

Indeed.

Without PB, I'd never have noticed Labour's little local difficulties.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

Patrick said:

Others abstained and last time it was widely expected that the changes would be blocked . Apparently Tory MPs with serious doubts felt safe to vote for them in that knowledge. Tory MPs from Wales are not likely to be happy.
    We shall see. I believe there were some efforts to get the DUP on side last time, which would undoubtedly be done again. Also if they knew they were going to lose the vote, the whips would have not been holding people's feet to the fire, so it goes both ways.
  • Options
    Agree with a lot of this. Mass deselections look very unlikely and the process for choosing candidates once the new boundaries are in place has already been handed to Rosie Winterton. If mass deselections did occur, Corbynistas would de facto be creating a new centre left party and one that may end up as the official opposition.

What is noticeable about the YouGov poll is how many Labour members recognise Corbyn is incompetent and is not going to win in 2020 - including many of those who will vote for him. Throw in another twelve months of dire opinion poll ratings, PR cock-ups, further revelations about JC's views and friends, and lack of engagement with the PLP and anyone else who does not agree with him, and a new leadership challenge may occur - especially as it is clear that Corbyn's closest advisers (McDonnell, Milne etc) are spoiling for a fight. And if it is not next year it will almost certainly be in 2018.

This one is going to run and run. And either just before the next GE or just after it the hard left will lose definitively.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Let's all be friends...
  • Options
    "At its root, the Commission’s case is not about how much Apple pays in taxes. It is about which government collects the money"

Apple is being a little economical with its use of collect. If they want to frame it that way, then the choice is between a European government collecting tax now, and a hypothetical future when Apple might or might not return the cash to the US (& if it doesn't, then pay no tax at all).

In contrast, I though that the commission put its arguments pretty well (irrespective of whether or not one agrees with them):
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

Oh, and cheers, Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

1 week to polling day the polls swung back to remain,
    The final polling analysis suggested remain, but the volatility was such that Brexit was value on the betting front.

Wasn't part of that apparent swing back an artefact of the pollsters changing their methodologies every five minutes? If they'd actually believed what their figures were showing them, they'd have done better.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

TOPPING said:

I fail to see why Apple deserves to be hurt by following both the letter and spirit of the law, set by and according to the government of the nation they're based in.

If the government of Ireland was siding against Apple you may have a point.
    The accusation is that they're not based in Ireland in any meaningful sense; they're based in cyberspace.

A question for those who have looked into this more deeply: how secret was this deal? Was it common knowledge?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    I think Nick is right in how Corbyn will approach a victory. He still gets what he wants by being less aggressive, and with less chance of provoking immediate last stands and the like.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Apple Statement:

Thanks - thats a very clearly written summary of the case - one Apple does not address in its response........
  • Options
    Southam - they love it. Its an existential battle for Labour's soul. If doing things right means Iraq and PFI then what does it matter that mistakes are made its the PRINCIPLE that matters. Thats what people vote on, PRINCIPLE.

Nick - thanks for your response. Can I refer you to Ann Widdecombe's description of Mad Frankie Howerd as having "something of the night about him" - it was referred to continually and plagued his time as leader. "Are you thinking what we're thinking?" was answered "ewww no". And these MPs will have your dead letter hung round their necks like a Widdiquote. They'll be a laughing stock. And they know it...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2016
    @ Justin124

No doubt but I'm sure there's something that will float to the top of their "to do list" that might persuade them to see matters differently. Going back to 1979 I seem to recall (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) at around the time of the no confidence vote that did for Callaghan the then Labour govt promising piping (the then new) N Sea gas to N Ireland to benefit Ulster folk, and Welsh slate miners getting better compensation for a lung disease which apparently brought P Cymru into the govt lobby. If they really want to pull the stops out on this one (and I suspect they will given Clegg held it all to ransom once before) there is plenty of ammo, not least the prospect of "PM Corbyn".

Anyway, I thought it was going to happen at the end of 2018 unless there was something that actively stopped it? I thought that was the effect of the Lib Dems last time rather than stopping it dead (presumably they, like the rest of us, not forecasting May 2015's outcome). Or maybe I'm mistaken there?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

jonny83 said:

They *can't* fall back in line. Half the shadow ministerial team will be people who publicly have no confidence in the man. They can't express positive views about him or his policies without looking like gratuitous hypocrites which means they can't be credible shadow ministers. Whether they are appointed as such or not.

This is the point that Jezbollah either have failed to comprehend or are wilfully ignoring. They simply expect that the Radiance of Corbyn will be enough to convert all the doubters once the traitors in the party and the media stop misrepresenting Him. Its laughable.

As Nick says, they can fall back in line despite previous statements. It will be very stupid given the nature of their complaints which in no way been resolved, but politicians manage these things, they make bold claims with tenuous logic often, and sound confident doing so.

If it avoids a split, I can see plenty grabbing ankle no matter how undignified.
This discussion has been closed.