Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some sobering polling for the Corbynites

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some sobering polling for the Corbynites

Our polling average update: Tories lead by eleven points, more than Cameron ever achieved against Miliband/Corbyn. pic.twitter.com/8kZu2c6YBx

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First, like the Blues!
  • A Syrian refugee in Germany who tried to kill his wife by setting her on fire using barbecue lighter fluid ended up dying in the flames.

The 45-year-old stormed a house the town of Ruedesheim, west of Frankfurt, and started dousing his spouse with the flammable liquid on Thursday.

When he tried to burn her alive, the flames engulfed him and the would-be killer died of his injuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3769330/Syrian-refugee-Germany-dies-flames-engulf-trying-set-fire-wife-using-barbecue-lighter-fluid.html
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Damn discussion ID!
  • 5...4...3....2...1....Justin124 tells us it ain't that bad for Labour.
    Apologies for derailing a thread (when will we get Lib Dem - Ukip crossover?), but I received my Ukip leadership election ballot paper this evening. The pack includes leaflets from each of the five candidates. Here's a summary of what they say:

Elizabeth Jones: Elected to the NEC last year, she has been a member of Ukip for six years contesting a number of elections including Westminster in 2010 and 2015. Would like to repeal the 1973 (Oops!) European Communities Act, though doesn't mention whether this would be instead of or in addition to triggering Article 50. Wants to make the NEC more transparent and presents a number of Ukippy policies such as getting rid of the Human Rights Act. 80-1, will probably come last.

Bill Etheridge: Wants to reform the party structure to give full representation by elected politician (e.g. Assembly Member) and geographic regions. Wants a more professional structure operating under a Party Director. Provides a quote from Paul Nuttall on his work as an MEP/Policy Committee member. Wants to ban the burka in places like banks and schools, cut the cost of a pint and "a return to the days when prison was a punishment rather than a means of rehabilitation." 25-1.

Lisa Duffy: Makes a big play of her electoral success. She "know[s] about winning First Past the Post elections" having been elected as Ukip's first ever Mayor in Ramsey in Cambridgeshire. Also makes out she is confident media performer. The next leader "can't simply be 'another Nigel'" and has endorsements from Suzanne Evans, Paul Nuttall(!), Louise Bours, Gerard Batten (he says "because she advocated repealing the 1972 (better) European Communities Act as a first step to leaving the EU") and Patrick O'Flynn. Only mention of Islam is on the front page saying she will "challenge Radical Islam". 6-1, in with a chance.

Part 2 to follow
  • Mersea Island's unofficial gold postbox repainted red

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37246421

Should have said it was a Banksy.
    Ukip Leadership Contest Part 2

Phillip Broughton: A "young, passionate, norther, working class guy", Phillip is the only candidate to make reference to Steven Woolfe who he says is "a phenomenal political talent" and "I very much see Steven making a very large contribution to UKIP's future success." He talks about what Ukip needs to become post-Brexit and talks about three themes - Freedom, Fairness and Opportunity. Furthermore, he says Ukip needs to fully analyse the 2015 election to work out their target seats - "The campaign doesn't start in 4 years it starts now". His final page has a picture of him shaking hands with Farage (Jones is the only other candidate to have a picture of Nigel) and makes a big thing of thanking Farage for everything he's done for the party. 80-1, a slim chance.

Diane James: A rather dour, pictureless (except for herself in the header) leaflet. A lot platitudes such as "Make your choice for the leadership the right one and indeed the one that will ensure that Ukip realizes its fullest potential, against a currently stagnant UK political backdrop" and "Party leadership is not for the faint hearted." She says the party needs to be ready for a May 2017 general election and that she wants to make full use of the grassroots. Absolutely nothing on policy.1-5, probably shouldn't be this short.

I was 90% certain before I received this material that I was going to vote for James. She is a competent media performer and seems sensible. The only other candidate that I'd come across is Duffy and most of that was about her quite strong views on Islam (which is why I thought it interesting that Islam hardly came up in her piece). On what I've read this evening the candidate I think should win is Broughton. He seems to get that if Ukip is to have a point in the future it needs to work out what it is for post-Brexit. I don't know enough about the membership to quite know how people feel about Farage. Certainly making a big thing of thanking Farage will win him some support and it does feel like he's positioning himself as the candidate you should vote for if you wanted Woolfe. Can he win? Probably not, and I should say that my votes in the NEC election last year were mostly wasted on no hopers.

However, I really wouldn't be backing Diane James at odds on. Her leaflet really is awful. She should hope that no one reads these things! I would probably prefer her to Duffy or Etheridge and I might regret voting for Broughton (if only we had AV!), but I don't care enough to give James my vote.
    Anyone with any doubt that Brexit was a good thing can read this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/victory-for-the-entente-cordiale-winston-churchills-favourite-fr/

:D
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    We have the anomaly of the May honeymoon but for mid termish this is very grim for Labour, very grim indeed.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sobering? I doubt it.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    You get the impression that England were somewhat below par today but still far too good for a Pakistan team struggling to qualify for the World Cup next year.
  • Odd that peak Labour was in April, then all downhill since then. – What happened other than Livingstone’s remarks about Hitler?
  • RobD said:

Anyone with any doubt that Brexit was a good thing can read this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/victory-for-the-entente-cordiale-winston-churchills-favourite-fr/

:D

The Meeks of the world will never understand how reading something like that (even though Ive never heard of that brand and only drink champagne at wedding receptions and the like) really cheers the heart.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,772
    FPT Feersum, your argument is that because nationalism sometimes is bad it is therefore always bad.
  • Just stuck in tonight's by election summary as well
    edited September 2016
    I thought there were seven (even eight?) by elections tonight?

From Slade's comment last thread:

Bournemouth UA, Kinson North, Con defence
    Cornwall UA, Four Lanes, UKIP defence
    Dorset CC, Ferndown, Con defence
    East Dorset DC, Parley, Con defence
    Stockton on Tees UA, Grangefield, Lab defence
    Otley TC, Ashfield, LDx2 defence
    Lymington and Pennington TC, Pennington, Con defence.

Oh.. Town Council elections...!
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    A round up of tonight's local by-elections are well set out in Andrew Teale's blog http://election-data.co.uk/by-election-previews-1-9-16. It also includes maps so you can see the ward boundaries.
  • Sorry to whinge, but the bar under "Our latest polling average" would have been more informative if the parties had been ordered by their position on the political spectrum!
  • Your own countrymen are more than able to fill the void and ensure our government continues to be conducted in a way that enrages you.

I can't put it better than Sean T already has:

"Life will not be perfect outside the EU. By any means. But from now on me and my fellow Britons can elect and dismiss the people who make these laws, and get them reversed if we so decide. We are a self governing nation again.

Joy."
    And what if they don't? What if your fellow Britons reelect the establishment and you don't have the comfort blanket of believing that the modern world is some nefarious imposition from an outside power. You'll have to live with a constant sense of estrangement from your fellow countrymen.

Just stuck in tonight's by election summary as well

What's gone on in Dorset? Is it me or have there been by-elections in that part of the world quite recently?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088

Odd that peak Labour was in April, then all downhill since then. – What happened other than Livingstone’s remarks about Hitler?

The fallout from Osbo's budget fiasco became old news and so Labour's temporary bounce started to unwind?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Theresa May looking very Thatcherite tonight vs junior doctors.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FPT

Miss Plato, True Lies was one of the best films I have ever seen. It came out at a time when I was doing a lot of overseas travel for work and every aeroplane I got on had it on the movie channel. Consequently I saw it a lot more that four times. A cracking film, and in places very funny.
  • Not only did UK-based IP addresses work, but an overseas one too, meaning that foreign users who aren’t eligible to buy a license might also gain access to the service. Indeed, properly licensed UK viewers can also view from a foreign IP address which might initially appear unlicensed.

https://torrentfreak.com/new-bbc-iplayer-rules-easily-defeated-especially-via-vpn-160901/

A round up of tonight's local by-elections are well set out in Andrew Teale's blog http://election-data.co.uk/by-election-previews-1-9-16. It also includes maps so you can see the ward boundaries.

Very useful, thank you.

Not only did UK-based IP addresses work, but an overseas one too, meaning that foreign users who aren’t eligible to buy a license might also gain access to the service. Indeed, properly licensed UK viewers can also view from a foreign IP address which might initially appear unlicensed.

https://torrentfreak.com/new-bbc-iplayer-rules-easily-defeated-especially-via-vpn-160901/

*innocent face*
    tlg86 said:

Very useful, thank you.
    Andrew also posts regularly on the Vote2012 discussion forum.
  • AndyJS said:

Not difficult to look impressive when you are up against a bunch of whining money-grabbers.

There is no point going back to the negotiating table with a group that will accept and recommend your proposals and then fail to sell them to their agitated membership.

The public are going to look at the offer of 10%+ pay increase with nearly 40% premium for night work and think - wow, I should be lucky.

Yes, doctors do vital work - but they are rewarded for it.

AndyJS said:

Not difficult to look impressive when you are up against a bunch of whining money-grabbers.

There is no point going back to the negotiating table with a group that will accept and recommend your proposals and then fail to sell them to their agitated membership.

The public are going to look at the offer of 10%+ pay increase with nearly 40% premium for night work and think - wow, I should be lucky.

Watch their support dwindle to zero....
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

AndyJS said:

Wait until the public get affected by the junior doctors refusal to work. Its about time the world fell out of love with Doctors, they've used it since time immemorial, and its just a mirage.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Bit of local background for non Dorset residents. North Kinson is suburban B, C1 and 2 manual labour and retail workers. Parley and Ferndown are solid A/B and C1. Ferndown will have the oldest demographic of the three. All should be safe Tory holds.
    Fpt:
    Mortimer said:

Interesting to see a May intervention about the Docs strikes on telly - I wonder if she has seen at first hand how Cameron (and Blair) overdid the PR 'trust me to resolve this' peice to camera and realised that it works better the less it is used.

Interesting to see that even the BBC are highlighting the significance of the five day strike..

• http://reaction.life/bank-england-may-just-set-off-mother-control-monetary-booms/?ts

" In the three months to July 2016 — so, including the first month and a half after the referendum — the UK’s broad money supply (on the Bank of England’s preferred “M4ex” measure) grew at an annualised rate of 14.7%. I’m going to write that again: 14.7%!
    ..... 14.7% is out-of-the-park bigger than any previous recording in this series since it began in 2009. " "in the three months to July 2016 the UK’s money supply grew faster than it was growing at the peak of the UK’s financial market madness of the mid-2000s."
    Andrew Lillico
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    tlg86 said:

Apologies for derailing a thread (when will we get Lib Dem - Ukip crossover?), but I received my Ukip leadership election ballot paper this evening. The pack includes leaflets from each of the five candidates. Here's a summary of what they say:

Elizabeth Jones: Elected to the NEC last year, she has been a member of Ukip for six years contesting a number of elections including Westminster in 2010 and 2015. Would like to repeal the 1973 (Oops!) European Communities Act, though doesn't mention whether this would be instead of or in addition to triggering Article 50. Wants to make the NEC more transparent and presents a number of Ukippy policies such as getting rid of the Human Rights Act. 80-1, will probably come last.

Bill Etheridge: Wants to reform the party structure to give full representation by elected politician (e.g. Assembly Member) and geographic regions. Wants a more professional structure operating under a Party Director. Provides a quote from Paul Nuttall on his work as an MEP/Policy Committee member. Wants to ban the burka in places like banks and schools, cut the cost of a pint and "a return to the days when prison was a punishment rather than a means of rehabilitation." 25-1.

Lisa Duffy: Makes a big play of her electoral success. She "know[s] about winning First Past the Post elections" having been elected as Ukip's first ever Mayor in Ramsey in Cambridgeshire. Also makes out she is confident media performer. The next leader "can't simply be 'another Nigel'" and has endorsements from Suzanne Evans, Paul Nuttall(!), Louise Bours, Gerard Batten (he says "because she advocated repealing the 1972 (better) European Communities Act as a first step to leaving the EU") and Patrick O'Flynn. Only mention of Islam is on the front page saying she will "challenge Radical Islam". 6-1, in with a chance.

Part 2 to follow

Boring stuff.

• PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

FPT

Miss Plato, True Lies was one of the best films I have ever seen. It came out at a time when I was doing a lot of overseas travel for work and every aeroplane I got on had it on the movie channel. Consequently I saw it a lot more that four times. A cracking film, and in places very funny.

I think I've watched it two dozen times on DVD too - it's got absolutely everything.

Bill Paxton as oily car salesman and Tom Arnold as his partner - just perfect casting.

And who can beat Jamie Lee Curtis being sexy? She's a superb comedy actress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhMM4Pq0R1Y
  • FPT

I was just a youngun when this came out. The striptease scene got a lot of watches.
    "Britain could stay in EU if public opinion shifts, says Tony Blair

Former PM says remain supporters should continue to warn voters about consequences of Brexit"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/01/britain-stay-eu-public-opinion-shifts-brexit-tony-blair
    AndyJS said:

Former PM says remain supporters should continue to warn voters about consequences of Brexit"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/01/britain-stay-eu-public-opinion-shifts-brexit-tony-blair

Hahahahahahahaha!

• tysontyson Posts: 6,049

AndyJS said:

My nephew is currently on Night Shifts at A&E in a SE Town, responsible for overseeing 60-100 patients during a shift. He gets 24k a year.

It's not the money to be honest which is completely fucking shit for the stuff they have to do. It is the totally desperate position we put these young people in who have barely come out of Med School.
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

My nephew is currently on Night Shifts at A&E in a SE Town, responsible for overseeing 60-100 patients during a shift. He gets 24k a year.

It's not the money to be honest which is completely fucking shit for the stuff they have to do. It is the totally desperate position we put these young people in who have barely come out of Med School.
    Fair enough, but perhaps they shouldn't have spent all last year saying "it wasn't about the money" when it so obviously was/is.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    AndyJS said:

I would really love it if, in a few years time, the recollected Leave votes vastly outnumber the actual Leave votes.
  • Mortimer said:

Fpt:

Mortimer said:

Interesting to see a May intervention about the Docs strikes on telly - I wonder if she has seen at first hand how Cameron (and Blair) overdid the PR 'trust me to resolve this' peice to camera and realised that it works better the less it is used.

Interesting to see that even the BBC are highlighting the significance of the five day strike..

Headlines in the papers are bad for the doctors with even the Guardian expressing concern and highlighting how the doctors are at war with each other.

Irrespective of the dispute how can any doctor agree to such recklessness with peoples lives. My wife is furious with them and cannot even start to comprehend how callous they have become.

I am waiting for surgery on a bilateral hernia and am unlikely to receive treatment for six months here in Wales and understand that NHS Wales are using the private sector to try to stem the lengthening waiting lists.

This is not going to end well for the doctors if they do not call off this ill advised and highly political action
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    FPT @HurstLlama

No, I have never played Backgammon. A quick google - seems complicated.

I learned to play Mahjong solitaire quite recently though.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I would really love it if, in a few years time, the recollected Leave votes vastly outnumber the actual Leave votes.
    I'm sure the same effect will apply if Brexit goes belly up. Human nature, I suppose.
    edited September 2016
    tyson said:

AndyJS said:

It's not great for the patients either, and they're not paid to be there.

But seriously, the career trajectory for a Doc in the NHS is tremendous. Many of my mates are Docs. Sadly some of them seem to think winning is getting the contract thrown out. This is not how industrial disputes work when there is basically a monopoly employer. Compromise was the best they would get. It was offered, the BMA junior doc representative recommended accepting, and it was turned down.

Public opinion will desert them now. I wasn't 100% sure until Tyson piped up to defend them; now I am sure.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    AndyJS said:

Didn't he want to take us into the Euro (the refusal to agree was Gordo's finest hour - he only had one but credit where credit's due he did us all a huge favour there)? Frankly nuff said.
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

They've entirely overplayed their hand. My dear old mum is a bellwether, and she said basically "sack them".

Not good for the doctors.
    Especially as they had an agreement a few months ago, and have gone back on it.

FPT

I was just a youngun when this came out. The striptease scene got a lot of watches.
    I'd be very hard pushed to pick a favourite - the Dobermans, the torture scene... so many to choose from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhJP0lERFek
    I know I'm way behind the curve on this, but: Black Swan - worth reading, fully, skimming, or not?
    AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I know. These people's entire world view seems to have been cut from under them and they really are in denial grief. It's just too much for Blair to admit he's been talking bollocks for decades on Europe isn't it?
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'My nephew is currently on Night Shifts at A&E in a SE Town, responsible for overseeing 60-100 patients during a shift. He gets 24k a year.

It's not the money to be honest which is completely fucking shit for the stuff they have to do. It is the totally desperate position we put these young people in who have barely come out of Med School.'

How can anyone believe these scumbags when they keep on saying it's not about money but patient care and then they go on strike,lets be honest they clearly don't give a shit about patient care.

As the leaked BMA documents showed in May this strike was only ever about money please save the crap.

'Leak reveals junior doctors' plot to 'draw out' contract dispute for 18 ...
    www.telegraph.co.uk › News

26 May 2016 - Leaked messages by JDC chair Johann Malawana appear at odds with .... BMA Junior Doctors Committee, which was communicated publicly.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    PlatoSaid said:

FPT

I think I've watched it two dozen times on DVD too - it's got absolutely everything.

Bill Paxton as oily car salesman and Tom Arnold as his partner - just perfect casting.

I completely forgot about the car salesman character. "I got a little dick, its pathetic". Cracks me up every time.

Tom Arnold was great in True Lies. I haven't seen him in a great deal since.
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

FPT

I completely forgot about the car salesman character. "I got a little dick, its pathetic". Cracks me up every time.

Tom Arnold was great in True Lies. I haven't seen him in a great deal since.
    Art Malik as crazy Arab terrorist was fantastic - I think I first saw him in Far Pavilions or Raj Quartet back in the 80s.
  • tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, the base pay for a first year junior doctor is £24k - before all the overtime, extras etc.

By year 2, that is over £30k plus the extras

They do important, vital work and have trained long and hard for it.

But they had an agreement. The BMA was happy with it. They recommended it.

The government is imposing what was agreed - a huge pay increase and many of the extras protected or enhanced.

The public are seeing this now.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Mortimer said:

But seriously, the career trajectory for a Doc in the NHS is tremendous. Many of my mates are Docs. Sadly some of them seem to think winning is getting the contract thrown out. This is not how industrial disputes work when there is basically a monopoly employer. Compromise was the best they would get. It was offered, the BMA junior doc representative recommended accepting, and it was turned down.

Public opinion will desert them now. I wasn't 100% sure until Tyson piped up to defend them; now I am sure.

Monopsony employer, if I'm to be petty about it.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited September 2016

http://reaction.life/bank-england-may-just-set-off-mother-control-monetary-booms/?ts

" In the three months to July 2016 — so, including the first month and a half after the referendum — the UK’s broad money supply (on the Bank of England’s preferred “M4ex” measure) grew at an annualised rate of 14.7%. I’m going to write that again: 14.7%!
    ..... 14.7% is out-of-the-park bigger than any previous recording in this series since it began in 2009. " "in the three months to July 2016 the UK’s money supply grew faster than it was growing at the peak of the UK’s financial market madness of the mid-2000s."
    Andrew Lillico

This is a measure of the stock of broad money, to be interpreted as the demand for money (money for transactions purposes). It confirms the early reports we're seeing about increasing consumer spending. There is an incipient boom, and the BoE will put up interest rates before long.

edited supplement: almost surely what is behind the £ strengthening today
    Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

Good point. And what is the point of PB if not to be pedantic! :)
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

Ukip Leadership Contest Part 2

Phillip Broughton: A "young, passionate, norther, working class guy", Phillip is the only candidate to make reference to Steven Woolfe who he says is "a phenomenal 80-1, a slim chance.

Diane James: A rather dour, 1-5, probably shouldn't be this short.

I was 90% certain before I received this material that I was going to vote for James. She is a competent media performer and seems sensible. The only other candidate that I'd come across is Duffy and most of that was about her quite strong views on Islam (which is why I thought it interesting that Islam hardly came up in her piece). On what I've read this evening the candidate I think should win is Broughton. He seems to get that if Ukip is to have a point in the future it needs to work out what it is for post-Brexit. I don't know enough about the membership to quite know how people feel about Farage. Certainly making a big thing of thanking Farage will win him some support and it does feel like he's positioning himself as the candidate you should vote for if you wanted Woolfe. Can he win? Probably not, and I should say that my votes in the NEC election last year were mostly wasted on no hopers.

However, I really wouldn't be backing Diane James at odds on. Her leaflet really is awful. She should hope that no one reads these things! I would probably prefer her to Duffy or Etheridge and I might regret voting for Broughton (if only we had AV!), but I don't care enough to give James my vote.

Thanks for this: I hope it gets reposted as a header.

I listened to all the candidates speaking on 5Live shortly after the list was decided. I agree that Broughton is the dark horse. His vision of the party looked most credible, and he was one of the most successful of the UKIP PPC's.

I am all green on this market, having laid Woolfe early on. In a 5 way FPTP battle with an unknown electorate I can see it all set for a surprise result. James is far too short.
    welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I know. These people's entire world view seems to have been cut from under them and they really are in denial grief. It's just too much for Blair to admit he's been talking bollocks for decades on Europe isn't it?
    Between 1997 and 2000 Blair could have done whatever he'd wanted, he was so popular. For example if he'd called a referendum on joining the Euro, the British electorate would have voted Yes by a healthy majority. He probably wishes he'd overruled Brown and done so because it would have been difficult to leave the EU after joining the Euro.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2016
    DavidL said:

We have the anomaly of the May honeymoon but for mid termish this is very grim for Labour, very grim indeed.

Although it's still on the same level as Brown's polling at this stage of his premiership (and that was much deeper into the mid-term of the parliament).
    geoffw said:

http://reaction.life/bank-england-may-just-set-off-mother-control-monetary-booms/?ts

Andrew Lillico

This is a measure of the stock of broad money, to be interpreted as the demand for money (money for transactions purposes). It confirms the early reports we're seeing about increasing consumer spending. There is an incipient boom, and the BoE will put up interest rates before long.
    Ooh interest rate rises. You tease. When, when? Pretty please? Does that mean we might get it before we deport Carney back to branch banking in Medicine Hat Saskatchewan or Moose Jaw, Manitoba? Sorry - being cynical
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited September 2016
    AndyJS said:

"Speaking to the French radio station Europe 1, Blair said it was probable that the UK would leave the EU but possible it could stay in.

Negative economic consequences such as a fall in the value of sterling, damage to the financial services industry, weaker car manufacturing or a reduction in foreign investment in the UK could shift the debate, he suggested.

“At the moment, today, it is not probable, but the debate continues and I believe it is possible,” Blair said, adding that there was no reason why remain supporters should simply accept the result of the referendum, in which 52% of people voted to leave and 48% wanted to stay in.

“Who made a rule that we have to stop the debate now?” he said. Asked whether the campaign to stay in the EU could continue and British people could still change their minds, he said: “We have the right.”

Blair said the prime minister, Theresa May, had to stick to her position that “Brexit means Brexit” in order to preserve the unity of the Conservative party, but added: “For the rest of us, we are free to have a debate.

....He added: “There will come a moment when we have had the negotiations and we can see the terms we are being offered by the rest of Europe and we will be able to say that it is a good idea or perhaps that it is a bad idea with major consequences.”

He has a point, the terms of BREXIT are now the key and the consequences, BREXIT will certainly happen but given a majority of the electorate (including around half of Leave voters) want to stay in the Single Market if we did end up with full hard BREXIT and no tariff-free access to it at all and that hit the economy voters may start having second thoughts. I think it will be softish BREXIT so that will not be an issue but if it were who knows what could happen
    AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Between 1997 and 2000 Blair could have done whatever he'd wanted, he was so popular. For example if he'd called a referendum on joining the Euro, the British electorate would have voted Yes by a healthy majority. He probably wishes he'd overruled Brown and done so because it would have been difficult to leave the EU after joining the Euro.
    The polls were heavily against joining the Euro. I doubt even Blair could have turned that around.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited September 2016
    Mortimer said:

Essexit said:

Mortimer said:

Good point. And what is the point of PB if not to be pedantic! :)
    The risk with pedantry on PB is that some bigger nerd smarter person may come along and correct you as well.
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

The polls were heavily against joining the Euro. I doubt even Blair could have turned that around.
    I'm sure they were in favour around 1998 for a time but I may be mistaken.
    Main headline in Die Welt — "Merkel's popularity crashes to five-year low":

http://www.welt.de/
    edited September 2016
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I'm sure they were in favour around 1998 for a time but I may be mistaken.
    Figure 1

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2094/UK-General-Public-Still-Opposed-to-EMU-But-Hostility-to-EMU-Well-Down-From-Last-Year.aspx

(admittedly only one company!)
    AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Had the Tories elected Clarke as leader rather than Hague in 1997 we would almost certainly have joined the Euro
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Had the Tories elected Clarke as leader rather than Hague in 1997 we would almost certainly have joined the Euro
    Thank heavens that didn't happen then!
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Thank heavens that didn't happen then!
    Yes, Hague's victory was not great for the Tories but certainly was good news for the country
  • tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, the base pay for a first year junior doctor is £24k - before all the overtime, extras etc.

The government is imposing what was agreed - a huge pay increase and many of the extras protected or enhanced.

What is in this for the government, aside from bragging rights for Jeremy Hunt? For the Conservative Party, considered separately, it probably means a generation of doctors who would normally vote Tory, won't.
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think so, not so soon after the ERM debacle and with our economy so out of sync with mainland Europe.

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

What is in this for the government, aside from bragging rights for Jeremy Hunt? For the Conservative Party, considered separately, it probably means a generation of doctors who would normally vote Tory, won't.
    Don't worry, as they grow up and get richer they will ;)
    edited September 2016
    Four Lanes (Cornwall) result:
    LDEM: 34.7% (+34.7)
    IND: 16.6% (+16.6)
    CON: 14.8% (-5.8)
    LAB: 14.5% (-5.7)
    MK: 12.8% (-0.9)
    UKIP: 6.6% (-21.9)

LD surge!
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/771468282616541184

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Fulfilling a manifesto pledge.

More importantly, reforming public services. They are not to be run for the providers, but for the consumers.
  • RobD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Quite so. Blair's best chance was probably post his GE2001 (when I was truly terrified we might actually join) and that contributed in no small way to Clarke's defeat that year.

"It was least popular in November 2000, when 71% were opposed to it and just 18% were in favour.

At its most popular in January 2002, 31% of people said they would vote "yes" to joining, while 56% opted for "no"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7806936.stm
  • Trrruuuh Lieeezzzh.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Cornwall Four Lanes Lib Dem gain from UKIP UKIP 1st to 6th
    LD 300
    Ind 144
    Con 128
    Lab 125
    Meb K 111
    UKIP 57
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited September 2016
    Over 600 comments on my Osborne is the modern day Churchill thread.

It is true, the thread headers that are pure clickbait cum trolling insightful commentary get the most comments

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think so, not so soon after the ERM debacle and with our economy so out of sync with mainland Europe.
    Oh it would have done, with the main opposition party led by a Euro supporter and Blair's ratings in the stratosphere (he having beaten Major who was responsible for the ERM debacle) he would have taken us in, our economy was also closer to that of Germany's than, say, Greece or Italy's
    HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Surges are easy when you don't stand in the previous election!
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think so. Voters have long memories.

The stupidest bit about imposition is that our hospital HR departments do not know what they are supposed to be implementing. Our juniors have been working a month without knowing what they will be paid, which shifts they will be doing or where they will rotate to next. Imposition is a shambles already.
    edited September 2016

Trrruuuh Lieeezzzh.

I'm watching the whole movie again now.

Forgot about Charlton Heston as big boss guy too. It's beyond fab.

The whole horse vs motorcycle elevator stunt! I haven't stopped giggling for for almost an hour

Full movie on YouTube.

• Mortimer said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

More importantly, reforming public services. They are not to be run for the providers, but for the consumers.
    It's not a manifesto pledge. This has sod all to do with the seven day NHS.
  • I hope this isn't the future of UK politics.

'A F*****G TRAITOR' Counter terror cops hunt foul-mouthed Jeremy Corbyn supporter who launched a vile tirade threatening to HANG moderate Labour MP Ruth Smeeth

Stoke-on-Trent MP Ruth Smeeth is receiving special protection from cops after the foul-mouthed death threat

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1712291/counter-terror-cops-hunt-foul-mouthed-jeremy-corbyn-supporter-who-launched-a-vile-tirade-threatening-to-hang-moderate-labour-mp-ruth-smeeth/

RobD said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think so. Voters have long memories.

The stupidest bit about imposition is that our hospital HR departments do not know what they are supposed to be implementing. Our juniors have been working a month without knowing what they will be paid, which shifts they will be doing or where they will rotate to next. Imposition is a shambles already.
    Junior doctors apparently don't since this whole thing is supposed to be about patient safety.
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Only partially true . Paul Holmes did stand in the previous election as a Liberal but not Lib Dem . He came 4th .
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Took a lot of votes off the kippers by the look of it.

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Quite so. Blair's best chance was probably post his GE2001 (when I was truly terrified we might actually join) and that contributed in no small way to Clarke's defeat that year.

"It was least popular in November 2000, when 71% were opposed to it and just 18% were in favour.

At its most popular in January 2002, 31% of people said they would vote "yes" to joining, while 56% opted for "no"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7806936.stm
    If he was going to do it he would have done it in 1998, the year before the Euro was adopted, cementing the UK in it from the start. With Clarke leading the Tories and Blair's personal approval ratings sky high he would have been able to get it through Parliament with little opposition, he would not even have risked a referendum on it

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!
    twitter.com/britainelects/status/771468282616541184

A very odd transfer, I think you'll agree!
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Not that easy, Mr D. If you don`t stand in one election, your organisation and campaigning capacity go to pot. But it certainly looks as though the Lib Dems are on the way back in Cornwall.

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

What is it to do with then?

Do you think you have rumbled a secret plan to privatise the NHS. Another one? So soon? *innocent face*
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Not that easy, Mr D. If you don`t stand in one election, your organisation and campaigning capacity go to pot. But it certainly looks as though the Lib Dems are on the way back in Cornwall.
    Apparently the LD candidate stood as a Liberal in the last election, so some foundation there.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!
    twitter.com/britainelects/status/771468282616541184

A very odd transfer, I think you'll agree!
    Heaven has a place for a sinner who repents ;-)
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Whilst a latter day Trot or similar is the leader of the Labour Party, it will stay blue in Westminster elections.
  • Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Do you think you have rumbled a secret plan to privatise the NHS. Another one? So soon? *innocent face*
    What is it to do with? That was my question. On its own merits, it makes no sense.
    John T Biggs
    This was Liverpool Vs West Ham in 1972 . https://t.co/s5LtqrX1Zd

:smiley:
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

LD surge!

Apparently the LD candidate stood as a Liberal in the last election, so some foundation there.
    No , not the same candidate , Paul Holmes has been well known in Cornwall for many years as an old fashioned Liberal

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

What is it to do with? That was my question. On its own merits, it makes no sense.
    Yet you don't accept the obvious rational conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.