Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov poll finds the SNP regaining their majority at Holyr

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov poll finds the SNP regaining their majority at Holyrood but Scots don’t want a second indyref or to leave the UK

The survey also looks at Holyrood voting intention for the first time since the Scottish Parliament elections in May, which provides better news for the SNP. At 52%, the party can boast a five point improvement on the 2016 Holyrood elections. The Conservative party has firmly secured its position as the second place party in Scotland, now standing five points ahead of the Labour party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First like the Tories.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Second like Diane James.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Third like Labour in 2020
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    FPT:

We have had four continuous years of constitutional wrangling in Scotland. I think most people will want to move on to other things now. So no short term risk of a break in the Union, but Brexit does, I think, store up problems for the future. Brexit will be an exercise in damage limitation and spin. Theresa May might be able to present whatever comes out as a success in E&W, but it won't play in Scotland where people voted against in large numbers.

The SNP's position as the Fianna Fail of Scotland is assured. It will be the dominant party pitching to rightwingers like our Malcolm as well as unreconstructed communists with a vague pro-Scottishness. It won't have any policies because any particular policy will upset one faction of the Party or the other. In any case they are not really interested. As with Fianna Fail, the SNP is likely to lapse into cronyism - that environment will encourage it. The opposition will be limited to trying to deny the SNP a majority and at some point scratching together a coalition.
  • From those graphics we can also see that it is only the Tories who have achieved any level of support from outside of their base.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2016
    The contempt of Scottish Tories for Sturgeon is striking ( neg 70 ), while SNP voters are neutral on Davidson.
  • Contempt? It's a simple does well/badly figure.
    She should take heart though, the Tories don't think she's doing as badly as Corbyn is.
  • Contempt? It's a simple does well/badly figure.
    She should take heart though, the Tories don't think she's doing as badly as Corbyn is.

Neg 70 from the productive social element is damning.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: Caroline Lucas and Jonathan Bartley have been elected as joint co-leaders of the Green Party
    @sherls: The Green Party now has more leaders than elected MPs.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

The contempt of Scottish Tories for Sturgeon is striking ( neg 70 ), while SNP voters are neutral on Davidson.

Sturgeon is very much a Thatcher figure. No-one is neutral. Where some people see her as standing up for Middle Scotland and as "one of them" others see her as aggressive and destructive.

• Scottish Labour voters prefer Ruth and May over Kezia and Corbyn. Wow ...
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Why the Remainers are still clinging on to dreams of overturning Brexit...and how they hope to do it"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/02/why-the-remainers-are-still-clinging-on-to-dreams-of-overturning/
  • Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016
    I see there is a coronation street waycism scandal on twitter with much foaming at tbe mouth and outrage over basically er nothing.

Basically one of the characters looked at her hair and said she had more roots than the lead character of a 70s TV series set in the days of slavery who I had never heard of which was apparently called Roots.

All sorts of racism investigations are going on, 300 complaints to Ofcom and there is a pious article in the Guardian warning how we Brits have so much to learn about Race.

Of course this sort of thing is rife in the USA too. Then people wonder why when someone wealthy and rather right wing says vote for me and I will strip the clothes from this bogus emperor he is within striking distance of the presidency.

Trump, as Brexit did here, is showing that there is a yawning chasm between the views and values of the metropolitan elite and the ordinary working people.
  • Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Caroline Lucas and Jonathan Bartley have been elected as joint co-leaders of the Green Party

Poor choice from the Greens. They have tried shared leaderships in the past and it didn't work for them. The potential for misunderstandings and lack of clear message is just too great.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I see there is a coronation street waycism scandal on twitter with much foaming at tbe mouth and outrage over basically er nothing.

Basically one of the characters looked at her hair and said she had more roots than the lead character of a 70s TV series set in the days of slavery who I had never heard of which was apparently called Roots.

All sorts of racism investigations are going on, 300 complaints to Ofcom and there is a pious article in the Guardian warning how we Brits have so much to learn about Race.

Of course this sort of thing is rife in the USA too. Then people wonder why when someone wealthy and rather right wing says vote for me and I will strip the clothes from this bogus emperor he is within striking distance of the presidency.

Trump, as Brexit did here, is showing that there is a yawning chasm between the views and values of the metropolitan elite and the ordinary working people.

Everyone wants to take offence if at all possible these days.. Its American culture that is to blame
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    A long term Project maybe, but the Tories will ultimately convince the Scots of the error of their ways in deserting the Party.....
  • I see there is a coronation street waycism scandal on twitter with much foaming at tbe mouth and outrage over basically er nothing.

Everyone wants to take offence if at all possible these days.. Its American culture that is to blame
    Look at what is happening on YouTube.

Long-standing content makers are finding their videos being de-monetized (awful word, I know) because they are not 'advertiser friendly' - and the channels being targeted for this are those that are primarily critical of the SJW mindset.

Thought police writ large.

Then you look at what is happening at major US universities - with Brown actively considering giving preferential treatment to people who can show descent from slaves and Harvard banning the use of the word 'Master' as it is a reference to slave owners (when it absolutely isn't)

The world has gone mad. Well significant chunks of it.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

FPT: Mr. Jessop, that's very credible, although some think Perez may go to Williams.
    edited September 2016

No its those that have legislated to the effect that offending someone has become a civil tort matter or even a criminal matter that are to blame.

In this country principally the EU and the Labour Party. They fed the troll.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited September 2016
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Why the Remainers are still clinging on to dreams of overturning Brexit...and how they hope to do it"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/02/why-the-remainers-are-still-clinging-on-to-dreams-of-overturning/

Brexit means Brexit. We are going to trigger Article 50 come hell or high water just as soon as we have a cast-iron guarantee that we will have a better deal outside which should be in around 2099.

Britain is leaving the European Union, and Sweden is joining the Euro.
  • If only if Cleggy had been in government, he could have stopped this. Oh wait....

Clegg: Osborne casually cut welfare for poorest to boost Tory popularity

Exclusive: Former deputy PM says ‘cynical’ ex-chancellor was not bothered about human consequences

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/02/nick-clegg-george-osborne-cut-welfare-poorest-boost-tory-popularity?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Then you look at what is happening at major US universities - with Brown actively considering giving preferential treatment to people who can show descent from slaves and Harvard banning the use of the word 'Master' as it is a reference to slave owners (when it absolutely isn't)''

And then look at Breitbart. Thirty one million unique hits, according to them.

And look at the demise of the Indie, and maybe soon the Guardian. That latter is working through that cash pile at a rate of knots.
  • Mr. Simon, I've read of the Youtube changes, which are somewhat alarming. However, it also opens a gap on the market. If another firm offers 'old Youtube' with broader permissible terms for monetised [clunky indeed] that's easy money for the new firm.

Incidentally, Explorations: Through the Wormhole, the sci-fi anthology including my story [Dead Weight], is now out:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Explorations-Through-Wormhole-Ralph-Kern-ebook/dp/B01LC0JZD4/
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

AndyJS said:

O/T

Brexit means Brexit. We are going to trigger Article 50 come hell or high water just as soon as we have a cast-iron guarantee that we will have a better deal outside which should be in around 2099.

You don't think it will be triggered next year?
  • On universities: worth noting Chicago has taken a much better stance on safe spaces.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So, in short, it's all going tickety-boo for Labour in Scotland.
  • RobD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean when Mr Brexit rolls into town as President of the USA and starts telling Theresa May to get on with it?
  • F1: saw much of P2. Bloody astounded by McLaren. Ok, it's only second practice, but they should be atrocious at Monza. It's all about engine power. And their engine is the worst, but they were impressive.
    The Harvard thing is interesting.

Matthew Parker's very readable 'Sugar Barons' book suggests that some very nice bits of certain Oxford colleges owe their construction to the West Indies plantation trade.

Hashtag awkward...

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

You mean when Mr Brexit rolls into town as President of the USA and starts telling Theresa May to get on with it?
    What?

On universities: worth noting Chicago has taken a much better stance on safe spaces.

And will get better graduates and more employer interest as a result. These things select themselves out, over the long term.
  • Jonathan said:

So, in short, it's all going tickety-boo for Labour in Scotland.

Boo, yes; not sure about the tickety bit.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

If only if Cleggy had been in government, he could have stopped this. Oh wait....

Exclusive: Former deputy PM says ‘cynical’ ex-chancellor was not bothered about human consequences

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/02/nick-clegg-george-osborne-cut-welfare-poorest-boost-tory-popularity?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The problem was the Conservative line was always that expenditure cuts were the key to bringing the public finances back under control rather than revenue increases - as I recall, the "balance" was 80% Cuts and 20% tax rises.

Given the parlous state of the public finances in 2010, "something had to be done" - I would argue the public finances are still in a mess in 2016 but no one seems that bothered anymore.

I suspect Clegg's line had an element of quid pro quo about it (it was a coalition after all) and the raising of personal allowances did help the poorest tax payers (while the freezing of them didn't help other tax payers).

To be fair, it's never been my impression Conservatives ever want to hurt those genuinely and acutely in need though the "system" they lead politically is labyrinthine and replete with unintended consequences but that's another story. That there has been created an impression of a large underclass of "scroungers", i.e: people who prefer to live off benefits rather than work, is also undeniable.

The truth is there are individuals who choose to live that way and there are pockets of relative poverty which remain stubbornly resistant to improvement. The former is one issue, the latter has been recognised as a problem by successive Governments but solutions are much harder to find.

• On universities: worth noting Chicago has taken a much better stance on safe spaces.

Absolutely - and compare to Missouri who have seen a massive drop in applications and donations following their failure to uphold free speech on campus.

But it will take a lot more to start seeing proper academic freedoms and standards becoming the norm again in US institutions.

Even Oxford has fallen into the SJW trap with students being given trigger warnings in Criminal Law lectures. FFS if you are doing law, you have to deal with the bad stuff in life - that is really rather the point of it!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

F1: saw much of P2. Bloody astounded by McLaren. Ok, it's only second practice, but they should be atrocious at Monza. It's all about engine power. And their engine is the worst, but they were impressive.

There's an element of sand bagging from Force India, but that still puts McLaren's pace in the top 5. Impressive turnaround.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

If only if Cleggy had been in government, he could have stopped this. Oh wait....

And former cynical ex-LibDem leader not bothered about human consequences of his cynical "promises" to the poorest students made to boost his short-term electoral chances?
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

And former cynical ex-LibDem leader not bothered about human consequences of his cynical "promises" to the poorest students made to boost his short-term electoral chances?
    Who is Nick Clegg?

No its those that have legislated to the effect that offending someone has become a civil tort matter or even a criminal matter that are to blame.

I would simply ask this - if we have Freedom of Speech, I have been told by many that implies a right to offend.

Presumably, it must also involve a right to be offended.

I find it hard to justify legislation against "hate speech" not because I condone in any way what is being said but because if I only want to hear what I want to hear, I am implicitly and explicitly closing my mind.

To hear what is painful, unpleasant and personally offensive is, I would argue, my right. I don't want the State or society or anyone else telling me where my lines are or should be.

• Mr. Simon, indeed, it's demented.

If crime scares you, don't train to be a criminal lawyer...

Mr. Max, indeed (just written some of the pre-qualifying piece and mentioned Force India are a shade slower than expected).
    edited September 2016

You voted for Cleggy in 2015 I believe?

:smiley:
  • Mr. Simon, I've read of the Youtube changes, which are somewhat alarming. However, it also opens a gap on the market. If another firm offers 'old Youtube' with broader permissible terms for monetised [clunky indeed] that's easy money for the new firm.

Incidentally, Explorations: Through the Wormhole, the sci-fi anthology including my story [Dead Weight], is now out:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Explorations-Through-Wormhole-Ralph-Kern-ebook/dp/B01LC0JZD4/

Breitube?
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    " I would argue the public finances are still in a mess in 2016 but no one seems that bothered anymore."

Mr. Stodge, is that no one is bothered or is it that running a £70bn p.a. structural deficit is seen as the best option at the moment?

Breitube?
    Who owns Vimeo? That is, I think, the main competitor to YouTube and seems to be more relaxed - but does it have the numbers to be really attractive to advertisers?
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

What?
    http://time.com/4457246/donald-trump-brexit-tweet/
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    stodge said:

I would simply ask this - if we have Freedom of Speech, I have been told by many that implies a right to offend.

I find it hard to justify legislation against "hate speech" not because I condone in any way what is being said but because if I only want to hear what I want to hear, I am implicitly and explicitly closing my mind.

To hear what is painful, unpleasant and personally offensive is, I would argue, my right. I don't want the State or society or anyone else telling me where my lines are or should be.
    The test for "speech" with regards to the state should be fundamentally one relating to inciting 'violence', rather than 'hate' methinks.
    Websites, forums (Such as this and youtube) are not state controlled media, and the rules (For what can be said, and what can be paid to say) can be set by whoever is in charge whether it is Jeff Bezos or OGH :)
  • <
    taffys said:

Matthew Parker's very readable 'Sugar Barons' book suggests that some very nice bits of certain Oxford colleges owe their construction to the West Indies plantation trade.

Hashtag awkward...

The pyramids were built with slave labour, probably Jewish slaves. Should they be boycotted - or even reduced to rubble?
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    If Brexit goes wrong (which it still might) then 46% is a good position to be starting from.
  • Mr. Simon/Mr. Bedfordshire, if it's easy to make the shift and the choice is massively altering your content to get ad revenues or moving platform, a significant number may move.

Some think this is designed to try and encourage more Red Tube (or whatever subscription Youtube is called) channels.

Patreon means some may prefer to try and replace ad revenue with direct donations/subscriptions.

F1: saw much of P2. Bloody astounded by McLaren. Ok, it's only second practice, but they should be atrocious at Monza. It's all about engine power. And their engine is the worst, but they were impressive.

A great session from McLaren, but I fear they were alone in having the engine turned up to 11 on Friday, will fall back tomorrow as others use all their available power in qualifying.
  • <

taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

The pyramids were built with slave labour, probably Jewish slaves. Should they be boycotted - or even reduced to rubble?
    Didn't Michele Obama say the White House was built by slaves in a speech the other day? I don't recall her asking for it to be knocked down, but that the nation should marvel at how far history had moved on.

Mr. Simon/Mr. Bedfordshire, if it's easy to make the shift and the choice is massively altering your content to get ad revenues or moving platform, a significant number may move.

Some think this is designed to try and encourage more Red Tube (or whatever subscription Youtube is called) channels.

Patreon means some may prefer to try and replace ad revenue with direct donations/subscriptions.

Mr Dancer, RedTube is something *very* different ;)

<

taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

Some of the stately homes in England were also built with fortunes made from the sugar trade. Should they be knocked down?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

It's not awkward at all, it's just run-of-the-mill history.
  • Mr. Sandpit, one wouldn't know, being pure and virtuous, but there is a paid side to Youtube, and that's what I meant.

On F1: McLaren may go down the order, but it's still better than expected. I wonder how Wehrlein might do.
  • Politico: "Advisers to Hillary Clinton’s campaign have identified so many paths to an Election Day victory they are now focusing not only on the one or two battlegrounds that would ensure a win but on opening up the possibility of an Electoral College landslide."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clintons-advisers-tell-her-to-prep-for-a-landslide-227659#ixzz4J6pbmn2m

Fill your boots at 1.37 on BF. Better than the bank rate (isn't everything?).

'Red Tube' has rather more relaxed policies on certain content.
  • <

taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

Didn't Michele Obama say the White House was built by slaves in a speech the other day? I don't recall her asking for it to be knocked down, but that the nation should marvel at how far history had moved on.
    We have to acknowledge our past not try to erase it.

We cannot change our shared history. It would be good if we can learn from it - but trying to pretend it didn't happen is just infantile thinking.

There should also be some honesty in the debate - not all slave masters/traders were white (a fact that gets ignored all too often)
  • If only if Cleggy had been in government, he could have stopped this. Oh wait....

No, I voted Tory. The day I was going to cast my postal vote Clegg implied he'd go into coalition with Ed and the Nats

Politico: "Advisers to Hillary Clinton’s campaign have identified so many paths to an Election Day victory they are now focusing not only on the one or two battlegrounds that would ensure a win but on opening up the possibility of an Electoral College landslide."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clintons-advisers-tell-her-to-prep-for-a-landslide-227659#ixzz4J6pbmn2m

Decent chance of a default though.
  • AndyJS said:

taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

It's not awkward at all, it's just run-of-the-mill history.
    The awkward truth is that it was only due to the discovery of the steam engine and similar devices in the agricultural revolution enabling labour to be replaced with machines that slavery has been abolished.

If it still required huge resources of labour for the very wealthy to maintain their lifestyle slavery (certainly in its wider sense eg domestic servants working 100 hour weeks for a pittance) would still be with us.

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

What?
    OK but that doesn't answer my question.
  • Mr. Simon/Mr. Bedfordshire, if it's easy to make the shift and the choice is massively altering your content to get ad revenues or moving platform, a significant number may move.

Don't visit Redtube it is a niche website, a bit like that hamster website I've heard so much about.

No, I voted Tory. The day I was going to cast my postal vote Clegg implied he'd go into coalition with Ed and the Nats
    A scholar and a gent.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    edited September 2016

On universities: worth noting Chicago has taken a much better stance on safe spaces.

Absolutely - and compare to Missouri who have seen a massive drop in applications and donations following their failure to uphold free speech on campus.

But it will take a lot more to start seeing proper academic freedoms and standards becoming the norm again in US institutions.

Even Oxford has fallen into the SJW trap with students being given trigger warnings in Criminal Law lectures. FFS if you are doing law, you have to deal with the bad stuff in life - that is really rather the point of it!
    What is this 'even'?

Oxford Uni in its various guises were the moral cowards who gave currency to Rhodes Must Fall.
  • Pulpstar said:

Not least the appearance of pink tubes on its screens......
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Politico: "Advisers to Hillary Clinton’s campaign have identified so many paths to an Election Day victory they are now focusing not only on the one or two battlegrounds that would ensure a win but on opening up the possibility of an Electoral College landslide."

Weren't the defence chiefs lambasting intelligence because they only gave Clinton what she wanted to hear?

Mr. Simon/Mr. Bedfordshire, if it's easy to make the shift and the choice is massively altering your content to get ad revenues or moving platform, a significant number may move.

It all seems very odd to me, Mr. Dancer. One chap whose channel I watch quite regularly has been running for years, he basically financed his way through university with it, has now been told it must be de-monetised. He creates videos of play-throughs of games and flight-sims. Naturally there is a certain amount of bad language in his commentary, not excessively so and not gratuitously but as any gamer will know there are moments of frustration which would cause a saint on valium to swear. That occasional bad language has apparently caused him to be put on YouTube's naughty step. He says he will give up on YouTube.

Pulpstar said:

Not least the appearance of pink tubes on its screens......
    titter.... oops!
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

What?
    OK but that doesn't answer my question.
    My answer to your original question is that there's less than a 50% chance that it will be triggered next year, and having President Trump decreases the chances.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    edited September 2016

It all seems very odd to me, Mr. Dancer. One chap whose channel I watch quite regularly has been running for years, he basically financed his way through university with it, has now been told it must be de-monetised. He creates videos of play-throughs of games and flight-sims. Naturally there is a certain amount of bad language in his commentary, not excessively so and not gratuitously but as any gamer will know there are moments of frustration which would cause a saint on valium to swear. That occasional bad language has apparently caused him to be put on YouTube's naughty step. He says he will give up on YouTube.
    Red Tube is (I learn from feminists complaining about it) a rather extreme porn site.

Is he moving to Twitch ?
  • weejonnie said:

Weren't the defence chiefs lambasting intelligence because they only gave Clinton what she wanted to hear?
    I've increased my exposure for Hillary. No sign on 538 that Trump has any way to the electoral college. Labour Day is upon us and that's when minds turn to the election and are made up. We'll see whether there is some great change in polls in next week or so, but I doubt it and I've put my eggs in the basket now.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Currently she's ahead by 3/4%, so it seems somewhat hubristic to be talking about a landslide victory.
    Sean_F said:

Currently she's ahead by 3/4%, so it seems somewhat hubristic to be talking about a landslide victory.
    Hold on... She may have an awesome ground game :D
  • RobD said:

A scholar and a gent.
    If I was of ensuring a continuation of the coalition I would have voted for Cleggy.

I just didn't want to take the risk of voting for Clegg to go into coalition with Ed and the Nats.

I would have felt sicker than a cyclist with piles.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited September 2016
    Mr. Llama, that's rather sad. I'm not fully up to speed with the situation [don't have a channel so it's not my business, literally] but that might be something against which he could appeal*.

There's always the Battlestar Galactica/Farscape option of inventing words where the meaning is obvious but they aren't actually proper swear words. [I had to do this with Dead Weight. It's pretty obvious where I initially had all the F-words].

*Edited extra bit: I might be wrong, but I think I read some of the new stupid policy applies to titles [ie effectively front matter, but for video] and maybe channel name, rather than the whole video.
  • weejonnie said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/2798661/David-Cameron-heading-for-election-landslide.html.

Torygraph 11th September 2008:

'David Cameron is heading for a landslide election victory after a new opinion poll shows a dramatic 12 per cent shift to the Conservatives in the key marginals'
    MattW said:

Red Tube is (I learn from feminists complaining about it) a rather extreme porn site.
    Subtle edit, sir!
  • Three British men through to the third round of American Open Tennis for first time since 1968.

<

taffys said:

Hashtag awkward...

Jewish slaves eh? in 2500 BC? I doubt it.

• stodge said:

The Conservatives have been just as authoritarian on free speech as New Labour, IMHO.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

weejonnie said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/2798661/David-Cameron-heading-for-election-landslide.html.

'David Cameron is heading for a landslide election victory after a new opinion poll shows a dramatic 12 per cent shift to the Conservatives in the key marginals'
    Andrew Cooper thought that Remain were heading for a landslide victory as well.
  • Sean_F said:

The national polls are pretty irrelevant. It's winning states that counts and a landslide in the electoral college: FL, OH, PA, Nevada.
    Pulpstar said:

Is he moving to Twitch ?
    Yes I think he is. He already does some stuff there.
  • Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

Yes, polls can be wrong. So bet accordingly. I don't think they are this time, but DYOR.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

The poorest students, Mr Mark, got a far better deal out of the Coalition Government than they are getting out of this backward-looking Tory one.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    AP
    NBC News chief anchor Lester Holt will moderate the first scheduled presidential debate on Sept. 26: https://t.co/Be3bbvzPjA

The Conservatives have been just as authoritarian on free speech as New Labour, IMHO.

Indeed, but the majority of posts (as distinct from posters) seem to put all the blame on Labour and "lefties".

This is why I could never support either the Conservatives or Labour, my friend. In many ways, they are two sides of the same coin.

• Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

We have a lot to thank Andrew Cooper for in the Leave camp.
  • Politico: "Advisers to Hillary Clinton’s campaign have identified so many paths to an Election Day victory they are now focusing not only on the one or two battlegrounds that would ensure a win but on opening up the possibility of an Electoral College landslide."

Certainly not.

British reading of the dynamics of American politics is woeful, and far too coloured by the spin our media puts on it.

I think Hillary will win but I certainly won't bet the farm on it.
  • The RCP (I know, I know..) 'no-toss-ups' electoral map currently shows Hillary scooping 362 electoral votes, and only 0.3% behind in Georgia, which would take her up to 378. So she's certainly within spitting distance of something of a landslide, as things stand. Of course, it wouldn't take much of a shift in the other direction to show a quite different picture.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited September 2016
    This is so shocking, go to about 20mins in. In middle class Chester!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2fN6OIw30

Sean_F said:

weejonnie said:

We have a lot to thank Andrew Cooper for in the Leave camp.
    We shouldn't also forget to thank all the other members of the fantastic team that won the 2015 GE for the Tories and were bound to win the EU referendum as well.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2016
    runnymede said:

We shouldn't also forget to thank all the other members of the fantastic team that won the 2015 GE for the Tories and were bound to win the EU referendum as well.

They did win the EU referendum.
    @patrick_kidd: Am on Virgin train. War with Corbyn endures. Guard just said: "For those moaning they have to sit on floor there are 132 empty seats today."

@patrick_kidd: Virgin guard goes on: "If you can't find an empty seat, may I suggest you try walking through more than one carriage before complaining"
  • PlatoSaid said:

AP
    NBC News chief anchor Lester Holt will moderate the first scheduled presidential debate on Sept. 26: https://t.co/Be3bbvzPjA

Weird. I initially read "will moderate" in the sense of an online blog - i.e. moderates what Trump is allowed to say...

This discussion has been closed.