Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ConHome’s Paul Goodman says the Tories should unilaterally

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ConHome’s Paul Goodman says the Tories should unilaterally end the coalition in Sept 2014

The @paulgoodmanch call for the Tories to end coalition in Sept 2014. goo.gl/1X8bz twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/st…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The coalition will last until to the very end, both parties will want to partake in the budget of March 2015
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Just an observation:

TSE (a Tory) makes a fair comment that could be right or wrong

tim (not a Tory) immediately chooses to equate Tory backbenchers with the mentally ill

What conclusions can we draw from this?
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    Watched Ross Kemp looking at homeless in Glasgow.

I guess it could have been anywhere. Knew it was bad for those without support but it appears to be truly awful. 9 year olds injected with heroin and then abused....this is scandalous.

Every government and council is guilty for doing little or nothing to end these issues.
  • Options
    In more interesting news, tomorrow is International Topless Jihad day.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    Paul Goodman is often a perceptive commentator, but this is a rather strange article - especially the third paragraph, where he seems to think Cameron gets to choose who should be LibDem leader. More importantly, he doesn't really make the case as to what advantage there would be in a unilateral break; it sounds to me like a high-risk throw of the dice for little tangible advantage. I'm certainly not convinced by his suggestion that ministers should bring in a series of bills knowing they would be defeated; that sounds barmy.

I rather think TSE has got it right: it's the 2015 Budget which is key. If the economy is doing well, both parties will want to grab the credit. If it's not, they'll both be hoping something will turn up. Either way, rocking the boat over six months early would be a gamble too far.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "@MSmithsonPB Suppose neither of us will be around to see the play in 2053 - about the shambles of the Coalition's last 6 months..."

That's optimistic. A GE campaign usually takes up those six months up so I think a little more preparation time will be required on both sides.

The cold hard truth is that unless something changes radically then neither the lib dems or the tories will have any appetite to go to the electorate early so the govt. will stay in whatever ramshackle form even if either party hits eject. Be it minority, confidence and supply or plain old zombie autopilot.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    edited April 2013
    @Mick_Pork

That's why it's a good idea to read a different newspaper each day, or several everyday, time permitting, including those you tend to disagree with.

I guess in 2013 that would mean following people on twitter who don't share your opinion. It's why I can't understand people using a widget that ignores certain posters on here, it can surely only lead to narrow mindedness?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2013
    I don't know about the coalition, but someone should end this seemingly endless winter!

I'm freezing!
  • Options
    tim said:

@Charles

That there are 100 Tory backbenchers who are de facto "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists"*

*David Cameron

Cameron made that comment in, what, 2006? When the UKIP support was much smaller and much less mainstream than it is today.

But that still doesn't make it an appropriate thing to say. Any more than some of the more unpleasant comments about Brown were appropriate.
  • Options
    sam said:

@Mick_Pork

That's why it's a good idea to read a different newspaper each day, or several everyday including the ones you usually disagree with.

Indeed.
    I tend to look more at the process of the papers but that still requires you look at them all.
    sam said:

I guess in 2013 that would mean following people on twitter that you disagree with.

Weeell, sort of. Twitter excels at instant bite sized info and shone during the US election night as everyone struggled to catch up. Not least the BBC who were godawful that night. But you can tell from the tone of certain sources what is happening too. So yes again.
    sam said:

It's why I can't understand people using a widget that ignores certain posters on here, it can surely only lead to narrow mindedness?

How right you are.
    If I was comfortable only hearing views I agreed with I wouldn't be here at all now would I? ;^)

• Options
    The other thing, the September 2014 date that Paul Goodman has chosen.

It is possible in September 2014, Scotland may well vote to leave the Union, which could cause huge problems for Labour as potentially 40 Labour MPs are removed.

I can't see that being the ideal time to the end the coalition.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Charles

He reiterated it last November

No, he just didn't withdraw it. PMs shouldn't spend their life withdrawing and reiterating comments (or apologising for things they had no control over). They have better things to do with their time
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    On topic, if the Tories look like losing they might be sensible to roll the dice. And on current trends, they'll look like losing.

Do right-wing Tories want to see this happen? For the Tories to pull out unilaterally would be a bit of a hostage to fortune; They'd own any instability, either political or in the markets. And the LibDems would be able to turn instability on wherever they liked it. But if they can persuade the LibDems to leave of their own accord they could blame instability on the Hung Parliament, and tell voters they needed to give them a majority to fix it.

The obvious way to get the LibDems to leave would be to promote Clegg to the EU Commission. Is that a price the Tory right would be willing to pay in exchange for their minority government?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited April 2013

On topic, if the Tories look like losing they might be sensible to roll the dice. And on current trends, they'll look like losing.

Do right-wing Tories want to see this happen? For the Tories to pull out unilaterally would be a bit of a hostage to fortune; They'd own any instability, either political or in the markets. And the LibDems would be able to turn instability on wherever they liked it. But if they can persuade the LibDems to leave of their own accord they could blame instability on the Hung Parliament, and tell voters they needed to give them a majority to fix it.

The obvious way to get the LibDems to leave would be to promote Clegg to the EU Commission. Is that a price the Tory right would be willing to pay in exchange for their minority government?

This would be an incredibly foolish thing to do. Clegg is a very capable political actor and putting a capable opponent in a position of power in a policy area that's very dear to them would be a huge mistake. Particularly as he'd remain in power long after they left government.
  • Options
    Something else:
    It may be my suspicious mind, but isn't there something funny in the way Mandela's latest illness is being reported? He has not been seen in public for weeks. His hospital is a government secret: who are also giving encouraging but enigmatic accounts of his progress almost daily.
    I wonder...................?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-22015026
  • Options
    edited April 2013

And the LibDems would be able to turn instability on wherever they liked it.

Chaos has a way of getting out of hand so no matter the imperative for either party to get in as much distance as possible they can't totally abandon ship. A modicum of order will have to be kept even amid any party turmoil from the lid dems perhaps choosing a new leader or tory backbenchers trying to make one last push to get their way on shaping policy and the direction of the campaign.

The end of the coalition was always the thing Clegg and Cammie were least comfortable going into depth about, for obvious reasons. It throws up huge problems for both sides and should give the voters something to think about too. The manner of it's ending could be even more important than it's formation.

Little Ed won't have it all his own way either since a GE campaign is not something he has experienced before as leader. The training wheels will be well and truly off and as Brown found out that is a test that can lead to many unforced errors.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Something else:
    It may be my suspicious mind, but isn't there something funny in the way Mandela's latest illness is being reported? He has not been seen in public for weeks. His hospital is a government secret: who are also giving encouraging but enigmatic accounts of his progress almost daily.

What do you wonder?

That it is surprising a 94 year old has a few health conditions, particularly a 94 year old who experienced 27 years of hard labour, or that to stop his hospital becoming a shrine/being swamped with well wishers, the government have decided to keep his location a secret
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MikeK said:

Something else:

All a bit 'Chavez', isn't it.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/39457/Local_authority_housing_statistics_2011_12_v4.pdf

The above details the current LA housing stock. It shows that there are currently just about as many bedsits and one bedroom flats as there are three bedroom properties and there are more two bedroom properties than anything else. Each local authority and RSL have their own mutual exchange register and the national homeswappers scheme has more than 290,000 properties for swap, the vast majority of which are people in overcrowded accommodation wanting to move to larger accommodation..

So can we put to rest the nonsense displayed on here and in the media that there are not properties available for people in under crowded accommodation to move to. All they have to do is swap! (or take advantage of the tenants incentive scheme where they are paid to move.)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @TSE
    What do you wonder?

That it is surprising a 94 year old has a few health conditions, particularly a 94 year old who experienced 27 years of hard labour, or that to stop his hospital becoming a shrine/being swamped with well wishers, the government have decided to keep his location a secret

What you say may be the absolute truth of the matter. However the news of his illness has all the hallmarks of the old soviet agitprop.
  • Options
    currystar said:

All they have to do is swap! (or take advantage of the tenants incentive scheme where they are paid to move.)

It certainly sounds simple enough. What could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I doubt there will be much meaningful policies being driven through between Sep 14 and March 15 anyway.

Would need some sort of "confidence and supply" only deal.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Socrates said:

[Making Clegg an EU Commissioner] would be an incredibly foolish thing to do. Clegg is a very capable political actor and putting a capable opponent in a position of power in a policy area that's very dear to them would be a huge mistake. Particularly as he'd remain in power long after they left government.

Clegg isn't really an opponent of the British Conservatives on anything he'd conceivably have power over. They may disagree on constitutional issues about what the EU should and shouldn't be able to do, but those things are decided by the member states, not the Commission. (Even there, it's not really clear what substantive changes the Conservatives actually want that the LibDems disagree with, beyond minor stuff like the Social Chapter and a generally grumpy tone.)

On competition policy, or farming policy, or almost any other area a Commissioner could have influence over, there would be very little distance between what Clegg would want and what any non-bonkers Tory they might pick would want. He would be an ally, not an opponent.

Obviously I don't expect Tory backbenchers to see things that way, which is why I'm wondering how much they want their year of minority government.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I think the far more realistic option is that the coalition winds down over the Christmas break (because the Union vote, on which the parties are agreed, is September) although it will continue in name until the election. A Troy minority government wouldn't get anything passed anyway, nor do I expect this coalition in name only. It would allow the Liberal Democrats and Conservatives to campaign independently with no expectation of support from the other party of government.
  • Options
    I'm also quite sure the LDs want to leave the coalition so they can come out with some fantasy sandal policies for their manifesto. All of which will be ditched when they jump into bed with Labour or Con after the election.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited April 2013
    for goodness sake @currystar

Please don't withdraw the key memes that contribute so vitally to the hustle and bustle of PB.

Next you'll be saying that the Tories' problem with women is "small but consistent" which would remove a key policy plank from some commenting on here.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited April 2013
    I've always thought it like the coalition would "de-couple" in late 2014 or early 2015.

There;s no reason the final months of a minority Tory government should be a "shambles" as OGH predicts. Most governments don't do much in their final six months anyway - The final stages of the 74-79 administration was an exceptional period thanks to the Unions taking complete and total leave of their sense's. Its very unlikely we'd see a repeat in early 2015.

It will bascially be a "winding down" period but crucially it will give both parties the chance to set out their seperate identities and make changes to their leaderships should they wish.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Something else:

What do you wonder?

Careful - tim will be whining that you are obsessed with Mandela for pointing out a careful media management strategy regarding a camera unfriendly pensioner.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The SA govt. clearly fears the consequences of Mandela's passing when that sadly occurs.
    That is hardly a surprise considering his stature and they will be hard pressed to keep order in places as it could spark unrest and discord as well as national mourning. While it is not unreasonable to keep Mandelas location from becoming a shrine and magnet for the world media they have to be careful not to give the impression that the SA public are being kept in the dark as that would spark rumour and baseless speculation that could prove even more disruptive.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Surely it will depend on the economy by the end of 2014? If there is good news the tories might want to try hogging it all for themselves but the LibDems would be reluctant to walk away just as the good news is coming through.

On the other hand if the news is bad, why do Paul Goodman and others think the tories will ditch the Lib Dems? They need someone to dilute the blame.

The real worry should be what will the tories do if the Lib Dems ditch them first and try and heap all the economic blame onto the tories?

Bev.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    I don't think that the March 2015 Budget will be useful to the LibDems - either things can be successfully presented as going splendidly, in which case the Tories will benefit because it's their Chancellor, or, more likely, they'll be seen to be a mixed bag, and the themes will be "Things are getting better, let us finish the job" vs "things are still a mess, time for a new team". Neither theme works for a junior governing partner.

As recent months have shown, the LibDems start to recover some of their support when they turn into awkward sods. Ending the coalition before the election is the logical conclusion. It's less obvious that it's in the Tory interest.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The SA govt. clearly fears the consequences of Mandela's passing when that sadly occurs.
    That is hardly a surprise considering his stature and they will be hard pressed to keep order in places as it could spark unrest and discord as well as national mourning. While it is not unreasonable to keep Mandelas location from becoming a shrine and magnet for the world media they have to be careful not to give the impression that the SA public are being kept in the dark as that would spark rumour and baseless speculation that could prove even more disruptive.

Blimey! I'm agreeing with Mick_Pork about something. ;)
  • Options
    Sentencing of Mick and Mairead Philpott and Paul Mosley has been adjourned until 10.30am tomorrow
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Another reason there will need to be a parting of ways is that the Conservatives will want to get Tory people into the positions currently occupied by Lib-Dems and the Lib-Dems will likewise need to the get Lib-Dem politicians into positions currently occuped by Tories (Vince for treasury spokesman etc..)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    MikeK said:

I don't know about the coalition, but someone should end this seemingly endless winter!

I'm freezing!

It is lovely here in God's country , windows all open and sun splitting the sky.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MikeK said:

I'm freezing!

It is lovely here in God's country , windows all open and sun splitting the sky.
    You're in Yorkshire? Lucky you.
  • Options
    Following in from Edmund's post yesterday

Obama the antichrist? Global warming a myth? Lizard people controlling the world?

New conspiracy theory research reveals the bizarre beliefs prevalent in the United States
    Public Policy Polling research finds 37 per cent of Americans think global warming is a hoax, while 11 per cent of the population believe the US government allowed September 11 to happen

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-the-antichrist-global-warming-a-myth-lizard-people-controlling-the-world-new-conspiracy-theory-research-reveals-the-bizarre-beliefs-prevalent-in-the-united-states-8558384.html
  • Options
    @malcolmg
    Where are you malcolmg?
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Ending the coalition before the election is the logical conclusion. It's less obvious that it's in the Tory interest.

It would be if the lib dems took Osborne with them. ;)

What does appear to be getting forgotten is that the coalition has been at each others throat quite a few times now. The only thing really keeping them together is fear of going to the electorate early since that would be a disaster for both parties right now. The tories killed lords reform and the lib dems killled boundary changes. Slice the blame up how you like but that is how it is perceived for both sides. The mutual respect has long since eroded between Clegg and Cammie and though they put up a good front it is highly unlikely they truly trust each other totally any more. They do however know the consequences of coalition collapse and that will likely keep them going just long enough to dream up some sort of decoupling.

Whether that goes smoothly remains to be seen. I somehow doubt it. Scores will be settled as both parties prepare to fight each other in all those lib dem tory seats. If there is a leadership challenge or election in the lib dems too then that's just going to add fuel to the flames.

You can be certain that the lib dems and the tories will think things would have gone far smoother and better if only they had gotten their own way more. Nor will either side be shy in saying so in the GE campaign.
  • Options

Socrates said:

[Making Clegg an EU Commissioner] would be an incredibly foolish thing to do. Clegg is a very capable political actor and putting a capable opponent in a position of power in a policy area that's very dear to them would be a huge mistake. Particularly as he'd remain in power long after they left government.

Clegg isn't really an opponent of the British Conservatives on anything he'd conceivably have power over. They may disagree on constitutional issues about what the EU should and shouldn't be able to do, but those things are decided by the member states, not the Commission. (Even there, it's not really clear what substantive changes the Conservatives actually want that the LibDems disagree with, beyond minor stuff like the Social Chapter and a generally grumpy tone.)

On competition policy, or farming policy, or almost any other area a Commissioner could have influence over, there would be very little distance between what Clegg would want and what any non-bonkers Tory they might pick would want. He would be an ally, not an opponent.

Obviously I don't expect Tory backbenchers to see things that way, which is why I'm wondering how much they want their year of minority government.
    The Commission is always coming up with new initiatives that increase the EU's area of influence over member states. I'm sure once Nick Clegg is free of a UK electorate he'd be happy to go along with those and even lead one or two of his own. It also makes it much harder for the UK government to resist encroachment on UK powers when France and Germany are saying "Even the UK Commissioner backs this proposal!"

• Options
    hughphughp Posts: 11
    The downside for the Lib Dems, if they have already left the Coalition by the time of the 2015 budget, is that George Osborne will have free range to deliver a populist budget just before the election, full of the sort of proposals dear to the conservative right which the Lib Dems have been resisting throughout the current parliament. I would judge therefore that their better bet will be to remain in government, ensure that the budgetary proposals are (in their eyes) sensible and moderate, and claim credit for them during the ensuing election campaign.
  • Options

Public Policy Polling research finds 37 per cent of Americans think global warming is a hoax, while 11 per cent of the population believe the US government allowed September 11 to happen

The impressive thing about this is that they're getting decent numbers for quite a wide range of conspiracy theories from left and right, so they've almost definitely got a majority of Americans believing something seriously nuts. And that's before we even start on the traditional, accepted invisible-super-hero-related bonkers.
  • Options

The impressive thing about this is that they're getting decent numbers for quite a wide range of conspiracy theories from left and right, so they've almost definitely got a majority of Americans believing something seriously nuts. And that's before we even start on the traditional, accepted invisible-super-hero-related bonkers.
    I think my favourite conspiracy theory was 9/11 was allowed to happen, as all that debris from the twin towers would have an effect on the environment, so allow Climate Change beleives to say look the planet really did happen.
  • Options
    This is the centrist view of what happened on 9/11:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/semicontrolled_demolition.png
  • Options
    Scottish independence: Sun newspaper says 'far too early' to choose yes or no

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22014293
  • Options
    I love the way the Independent reports this as if its just a US thing, when half the UK believes in horoscopes or ghosts or other bollocks.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Mick_Pork said:

You can be certain that the lib dems and the tories will think things would have gone far smoother and better if only they had gotten their own way more. Nor will either side be shy in saying so in the GE campaign.

Yes. The Lib Dems will say that the Tories wanted to go even further with tax cuts for the rich, squeezing the poor & middle class by cutting benefits and tax credits, privatising the health service etc etc. This poses a problem for the Tories because that is exactly what many of them really do want to do. It will be much harder for the Tories to gain traction by blaming the Lib Dems for blocking things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923
    @Socrates

"Clegg is a very capable political actor"

You could have fooled me. Or, come to mention it, the electorate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates

I think he's done very well in extraordinarily hard circumstances.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    It will be perceived as a move to the right (“lurch” in MSM-ese). The upside would be to pick up the UKIP vote that wouldn’t naturally have returned. But that vote is lost; the more rightwards they move the more UKIP will be emboldened; if they don’t move rightwards at all then UKIP will be provoked. So whether they move right or not core-UKIP stays where it is.

It will also be breaking a promise and, although common these days, it will be one of the more notable ones of recent political times and in recent enough memory come GE time. Plus, people like it when everyone gets on. They like to see eg. Cameron and Milliband chatting at the Cenotaph, people like harmony and dislike discord and here the Tories will be creating discord.

Policy/economy-wise, none of us know what the state of the nation six months before the 2015 budget will be so it’s difficult to say whether it will be a good budget either to be associated with, distanced from or want to be jointly culpable for.

If everything is going swimmingly and on the up there will be enough of a perception that the coalition has succeeded and to fix something that isn’t broken will attract opprobrium. If it’s all going t**s-up then making a break might mean the Tories take all the blame themselves.

Not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hughp said:

is that George Osborne will have free range to deliver a populist budget just before the election

He could be free to be the first chancellor on the moon but that's not going to happen either. You do know of whom you speak? Good luck with that populism as Osbrowne hides from the cameras during the campaign again.

As has been said there will be little to no big changes or policy in the run up nor will the budget likely be very different. There just isn't the fiscal room anyway for big changes. It's going to be damage control and safety first on active policy as election day looms while both parties rearrange themselves to 'surprise' the voters that they were tories and lib dems all along.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    It would be ironic if the coalition did fall before May 2015 given the haste to legislate for fixed term parliaments.

The kind of shenanigans the electorate will not easily forgive or forget I think.

That said, this government has made such a hash of absolutely everything. Getting rid of the coalition early accelerates the day Britain confronts its actual problems, rather than appease an hysterical rightwing paranoia.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Socrates said:

Given that all actors are required to do is stay sober, look plausible and say the lines they are given, he hasn't done too badly. Unfortunately due to squabbles between his scriptwriters, and his own tendency to launch into ill-judged ad libs, he now looks an untrustworthy pillock totally unfit for high, or indeed any, office.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Given that all actors are required to do is stay sober, look plausible and say the lines they are given, he hasn't done too badly. Unfortunately due to squabbles between his scriptwriters, and his own tendency to launch into ill-judged ad libs, he now looks an untrustworthy pillock totally unfit for high, or indeed any, office.
    You're being very harsh.

Remember the Cleggasm?

Women wanted to be with him, and men wanted to be him.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'd have thought that it was in both parties' interests to be seen to have finished what they started. Breaking up the coalition 6 months early would look pretty transparent whoever did it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates

Actually he's hit the nail on the head.

That's why Clegg was elected leader. (albeit by a whisker) He was always the most accomplished of the Blair speaking style leaders. He's still far better at the natural speaking act than either Cammie or little Ed and his tragedy is it doesn't matter one bit.
    It didn't matter at the GE because the Clegg debating bounce melted away at the ballot box, and it doesn't matter now because the voters made up their minds long ago on Clegg after the first months of coalition.

He was and still is great at speaking in an informal fluent manner but the voter doesn't care.
    What he wasn't great at is tactics and strategy since there he has made some calls which will likely haunt the lib dems for quite some time to come.

• Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    BenM said:

Getting rid of the coalition early accelerates the day Britain confronts its actual problems, rather than appease an hysterical rightwing paranoia.

Go on then Ben, list your top two "actual problems" and give us the gist of the "actual solutions" that will ensue.

• Options
    Via my Mancunian friends

TSEPB ‏@TSEofPB

This BBC Class Calculator thing just seems too simplistic.

pic.twitter.com/obRnbgkuz3
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I've only just caught up with the end of the Sun editorial on the Philpotts (as circulated on the net), which makes the Mail's front page look like a model of restraint:

http://twitter.yfrog.com/2i0ec7j

Though it's worded slightly differently online:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/sun_says/4508014/The-Sun-says-Building-for-the-future.html

Can anyone confirm whether the original version pictured above is genuine?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    antifrank said:

I'd have thought that it was in both parties' interests to be seen to have finished what they started. Breaking up the coalition 6 months early would look pretty transparent whoever did it.

I suspect the assumption was that AV would pass and that the parties wouldn't be fighting each other the way they will be in fact in 2015!

However I've also always expected that the coalition would break up shortly after Christmas 2014, in time for independent campaigning during early 2015.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    antifrank said:

I've only just caught up with the end of the Sun editorial on the Philpotts (as circulated on the net), which makes the Mail's front page look like a model of restraint:

http://twitter.yfrog.com/2i0ec7j

Though it's worded slightly differently online:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/sun_says/4508014/The-Sun-says-Building-for-the-future.html

Can anyone confirm whether the original version pictured above is genuine?

Hope he doesn't win an appeal. Could turn out very nasty. And expensive.
  • Options
    @antifrank, I shall be passing a newsagents in a bit, I'll buy a copy of the Sun for the editorial and post a pic of said editorial
  • Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    edited April 2013
    @antifrank

Apparently one is the first edition. It was changed for the later edition.
  • Options
    glassfet said:

@antifrank

Apparently one is the first edition. It was changed for the later edition.

I bet it was. They just never learn.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    There's a clip on youtube of a recent mugging of a 56 year old woman in NYC. It really does give the reality of the sort of crime that probably wouldn't even get a prison sentence in the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JgY3NDoshHo
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited April 2013
    Socrates said:

There's a clip on youtube of a recent mugging of a 56 year old woman in NYC. It really does give the reality of the sort of crime that probably wouldn't even get a prison sentence in the UK:

Oh really

A MUGGER told police he had "a daft moment" when he snatched an elderly woman's handbag containing her pension money.

Shaun Bate struck as the 77-year-old walked home from the post office and shops in Hartlepool, Teesside Crown Court heard.

He was yesterday jailed for 16 months by a judge who told him: "I would be failing in my duty if I did not send you away."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/crime/10321180.Mugger_jailed_for_snatching_elderly_woman_s_handbag/

or

Police in Bradford have vowed they will not tolerate violent robberies after a gang of muggers were locked up for a total of more than 20 years.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/localbrad/10115542.Violent_gang_of_muggers_jailed_for_20_years_for_vicious_street_attack_in_Bradford/

or

Masked mugger jailed over knifepoint robbery attempt in Burnley

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/burnleypendlerossendale/10313529.Masked_mugger_jailed_over_knifepoint_robbery_attempt_in_Burnley/
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't get this indignation about the Mail and Sun coverage of Philpott.

Surely it is no different in principle from this famous depiction of broken society - which helped lead to sensible reforms?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_image.aspx?image=ps318789.jpg&retpage=21828
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

BenM said:

Getting rid of the coalition early accelerates the day Britain confronts its actual problems, rather than appease an hysterical rightwing paranoia.

Go on then Ben, list your top two "actual problems" and give us the gist of the "actual solutions" that will ensue.

Issue 1 - The economy at this point will only be sorted by Government spending.

Issue 2 - Global Warming will only be sorted by Government action.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Good grief.

"Labour blogger Rob Marchant has been reported to the police for making apparent “death threats” after joking on Twitter. Marchant was chatting on Twitter with some other Labour Tweeters about the possible return of controversial directly elected mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, who quit the party and ran as an independent candidate.

The tweets were picked up by Rahman’s team, who have been at war with some Labour activists, and reported to the police.

The Labour Tweeters were worried that Rahman might win again in 2016 or even seek readmission to the Labour party. One tweet joked “makes mental note to keep revolver well cleaned and oiled” while another went ”I will load the revolver and we can all take turns”.

As Marchant explains on his blog the tweets were meant to be jokes about self harm rather than assassination:

"In the spirit of the conversation, I joked that if that readmission were to happen, we would all have to shoot ourselves. This, as you can imagine, is going to turn into one of those “imagine my surprise when” pieces.

Read more: http://wallblog.co.uk/2013/04/03/tweets-get-labour-blogger-reported-for-death-threat/#ixzz2PPTZrBYU
    Follow us: @thewalluk on Twitter
  • Options
    BenM said:

Rexel56 said:

BenM said:

Getting rid of the coalition early accelerates the day Britain confronts its actual problems, rather than appease a0n hysterical rightwing paranoia.

Bravo Ben. Given that Labour did 1 for 13 years and made things worse and rEd did nothing much about 2 apart from cry at Copenhagen - what do you think will be different this time ?

• Options
    @BenM - Ed Miliband is going to sort out Global Warming?

Wow.

What about his second term? Eradicate world poverty, sort out the Israel/Palestine issue, bring democracy to North Korea, and eradicate corruption in Africa?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, probably it would be a good idea to declare the innings in the Autumn of 2014. At least it will prevent a break-up cause by either (a) disgruntled Lib Dem ex-councillors bouncing their party leadership into an untenable position at their conference or (b) Tory backbenchers remembering why their grouping is called the 1922 Committee and acting on its inspiration. Nothing of significance ever gets done in the last six months of a parliament anyway and what is passed is too often unscrutinised and half-baked.
  • Options

@BenM - Ed Miliband is going to sort out Global Warming?

Wow.

What about his second term? Eradicate world poverty, sort out the Israel/Palestine issue, bring democracy to North Korea, and eradicate corruption in Africa?

Indeed!

Within 4 years the UK will be a Utopia of sunlit uplands, of children dancing in meadows, butterflies flapping in the endless British summer, some fluffy bunnies hopping to and fro, and above all joyous citizens beaming ear to ear!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2013
    Does the Sun and Mail want to stop child benefit which is a reasonable or do they want to limit the number of children per family? I think for a paper to write headlines and articles like they've done they should at least make their position clear.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Within 4 years the UK will be a Utopia of sunlit uplands, of children dancing in meadows, butterflies flapping in the endless British summer, some fluffy bunnies hopping to and fro, and above all joyous citizens beaming ear to ear!

Sounds like global warming has been accelerated !

• Options
    news sense non story alert

http://order-order.com/2013/04/03/after-merkozy-whatever-happened-to-hollibande/

"As is plain for all to see, Hollande’s “different way forward” is dragging his country to its knees. Even Ed knows this, notice how he doesn’t seem to talk about his old pal François so much any more. France should serve as a warning to us all of what would happen under Monsieur Millibande…"
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

Young robbers using minimal force against their victims need not be given custodial sentences under new guidelines published today by the Sentencing Guidelines Council (SGC)...

...minimal force, which is defined as “causing bruising/pain and discomfort”....

http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/node/2974

The woman in this mugging, for all her trauma, only sustained bruising.
  • Options
    check out the filename of this pic of Owen Jones before it's changed :D

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cristinaodone/100210285/why-bbc-lefties-hate-being-middle-class/

• Options
    You never do get it, do you Richard? Always the Cameroon.

Hogarth went after everyone and didn't leave out those at the top.
    As a satirist he would be more likely to do an amusing grotesque of Dacre right now.
    Not that he would be tasked overmuch by portraying him that way. Dacre's journos do it behind his back quite frequently after all. Hogarth does run to far more mastery of his craft than merely drawing a comedy cock it has to be said.

The companion for Gin Lane is of course Beer Street where everyone is portrayed happy, healthy and jolly, binging away on good old fashioned british beer. Not his best work to choose to justify incompetent ignorant editorial bias like Dacre's then, is it?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

I don't get this indignation about the Mail and Sun coverage of Philpott.

Surely it is no different in principle from this famous depiction of broken society - which helped lead to sensible reforms?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_image.aspx?image=ps318789.jpg&retpage=21828

You need a lot of zooming to really appreciate it, but the Worship of Bacchus is quite something.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/cruikshank-the-worship-of-bacchus-n00795
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Incidentally, according to the BBC's 7 class system I am not middle class. The calculator is clearly fundamentally flawed.
  • Options
    Anti frank

Got a copy of the Sun from the WHSmiths in Manchester Pic train station.

Yup it is true

http://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/319459975728603136/photo/1
  • Options
    Socrates that isn't the only aggravating factor they take into account.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    BenM said:

Rexel56 said:

BenM said:

Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability...

• Options
    edited April 2013

Dan Hodges with some home truths as ever:

Unspoofable. As ever.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I've said this before, but what the left need to do is come up with an anti-philpott, a genuine honest person or people who is suffering real hardship whilst on benefits, and is set to suffer more after the cuts. They need to personalise the debate.

If the left's analysis of welfare is correct they should be spoilt for choice. But they can't seem to find anybody.

• Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    edited April 2013
    "Unspoofable. As ever."

From the words "as ever" it was clear that Hodges was bound to be as offensively, stupidly wrong as ever.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    taffys said:

I've said this before, but what the left need to do is come up with an anti-philpott, a genuine honest person or people who is suffering real hardship whilst on benefits, and is set to suffer more after the cuts. They need to personalise the debate.

If the left's analysis of welfare is correct they should be spoilt for choice. But they can't seem to find anybody.

Then you're not really listening. That personalising policies into stories works better communication-wise is long known and pulled out in politics very regularly. I think in one of the election debates it got farcical of the counter-stories of "someone I've met" piling up on each other.

Albeit 'hard-working person needs benefits to help them' is a less interesting media story than 'state subisdised massacre of children'
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    I have managed to fool the BBC into believing I am a member of the "Elite".

It was socialising with my cleaner and listening to classical music wot did it.

Pork should note that professing a knowledge of William Hogarth doesn't affect your rating. You might as well just pass through the roundabout.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    To back up my point on personalisation, I've just read an article on the real lives of people on benefits in the Guardian.

Its astonishing light on the detail of how the cuts are really affecting the lives of people. All names are changed. Yet look at the detail of the Philpott story. Everything in minute detail.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    taffys said:

So you're saying the 'left' need to find a poor person to parade on TV and get turned over by the likes of Dacre and the Sun in the press to 'prove' to right wingers that poor people or the working class on welfare aren't all child killers.

Okaaaay.

Sounds reasonable enough.

Gracious, is that the time? I fear I may not see the conclusion to this PB tory epic.
    Sadly I'll just have to imagine the wonderful and curious comments to come.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

From the words "as ever" it was clear that Hodges was bound to be as offensively, stupidly wrong as ever.

I'm not going to defend Atos, here, but the belief that a major, money-saving change should leave no one - not one single person - in a worse position that before is facile, absurd and laughable. A moment's consideration will tell you that there will always, always be winners and losers when a major policy change is made. The challenge is to minimise the damage done - and there will be damage - while not letting implementation costs and complexity spiral out of control.

This obsession of the hand-wringing, liberal left to exhume every example of a loser to portray the government as cruel and uncaring is infuriating and intellectually dishonest (this is also a fair definition of politics in action).

Rant over.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Anorak, if you really think the impact of Atos has been marginal, and just a case of the odd 'winner and loser' here and there, then you're living on a different planet. I've already characterised the true effect of the Atos evil, but my words were deleted.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

"Unspoofable. As ever."

He is the comedy Blairite cuckoo with a reputation to keep remember. Should he ever accidently stumble on anything meaningful or remotely accurate his column fee may take a substantial hit. He's certainly not hired for that.

• Options
    Just caught up with a thread from yesterday where I commented that it was a bit daft to judge whether IDS can live on £57pw by his expenses claims to find some idiot called Mick Pork responded

"so you are another one who thinks all benefit claimants are child killers"

Seriously, WTF is that all about?? Just about the strawiest of straw men arguments in history. What an idiotic comment.

Is there an 'ignore' button anywhere on this blog?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    OT I loved this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/artvideo/9969256/Cultured-flashmob-recreates-Rembrandts-The-Night-Watch.html

"This video, which was posted on YouTube, shows performers taking part in a large-scale flashmob recreation of Rembrandt's famous painting "The Night Watch".

The stunt was organised to coincide with the return of the painting, considered one of the Dutch artist's greatest works, to Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum.

The museum will reopen on April 13 after a decade-long renovation project.

"The Night Watch," which was completed in 1642, is one of the most famous paintings in the world.
  • Options

Just caught up with a thread from yesterday where I commented that it was a bit daft to judge whether IDS can live on £57pw by his expenses claims to find some idiot called Mick Pork responded

"so you are another one who thinks all benefit claimants are child killers"

Seriously, WTF is that all about?? Just about the strawiest of straw men arguments in history. What an idiotic comment.

First rule of Pork club is that nobody understands Pork club.

It's a stream of Romneyshambles jargon and in jokes about the CoTE channeling Prince Joffrey that can be understood by single person - Porky paper hater himself.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

I have managed to fool the BBC into believing I am a member of the "Elite".

You disappoint me Seth O Logue.

Surely in your attempts at comedy you would have been more fruitful saying that the elite would never take part in something as gauche as a BBC online test. They would hire servants for that kind of menial IT work.

This discussion has been closed.