Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big hope for Trump now is that there will be a polling fai

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big hope for Trump now is that there will be a polling fail as large as in the UK at GE2015

Twelve days to go before the US elects Barack Obama’s successor and so far at least the polling both national and in the key swing states suggests a return to the White House after a gap of 16 years for Hillary Clinton. This time, of course, as President not as First Lady.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited October 2016
    Donald Trump = Monty Brewster
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    FPT :

A couple of little nuggets :

1. Mike Pence having been dispatched yesterday to shore up Utah is today off to Omaha to fend off Clinton in NE CD02.

2. Clinton campaign moving resources from Nevada to Arizona as it considers the former is moving comfortably into their column.
  • Options
    If only we had the same data available at our general elections.

I'd love to see ward by ward breakdowns here.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    We all like a horse race, especially a close one. It is possible to scrape around to find reasons why it might be close but in our hearts we know it won't be. Trump is just unelectable. Labour in particular should look on and reflect. Deeply.
  • Options
    Looking back at that chart, the race narrowed when Secretary Clinton stumbled, so she needs to remain upright for the next twelve days.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    paging Scott

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 13m13 minutes ago
    0.5% q3 GDP is exactly what OBR predicted at Budget, significantly above the -0.1 in Treasury Brexit impact assessment

• Options
    Jim Newell of "Slate" reports on a mostly GOP leaning focus group in North Carolina - Conclusion - They dislike both candidates and more will vote Clinton as the least worst candidate :

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/who_the_hell_is_an_undecided_voter.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Eagles, 'stumbled' is underplaying it. She couldn't stand on her own two feet.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited October 2016
    TGOHF said:

paging Scott

0.5% q3 GDP is exactly what OBR predicted at Budget, significantly above the -0.1 in Treasury Brexit impact assessment

Huzzah for the strong and resilient economy George Osborne created.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The level of detail available on USA voting is astronomical. As I said, in NC you can get a name, address, age, gender, race and exact day voted of the early voting data.

Mind boggling. A side with a good GOTV operation must be in hog heaven.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

paging Scott

@Rehabspice: @faisalislam we haven't left yet though, or triggered article 50. Was Treasury Impact report assuming article 50 triggered on Jun 24?

@faisalislam: It did, the Chancellor says and the document implies, but would be difficult to presume that's worth 0.6% of GDP twitter.com/rehabspice/sta…
  • Options
    It's pretty clear that Trump himself has given up on the race. He's spending time opening hotels and promoting golf courses rather than campaigning, he's stopped fundraising, and he obviously isn't flushing more of his own money down the drain either.
  • Options
    It must be time for a thread about the economic chaos that Brexit has brought down on the UK? #GDP
    :innocent:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We all like a horse race, especially a close one. It is possible to scrape around to find reasons why it might be close but in our hearts we know it won't be. Trump is just unelectable. Labour in particular should look on and reflect. Deeply.

I like a horse race where the horse I have backed is miles in the front.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

paging Scott

Its almost like Brexit hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    JackW said:

Jim Newell of "Slate" reports on a mostly GOP leaning focus group in North Carolina - Conclusion - They dislike both candidates and more will vote Clinton as the least worst candidate :

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/who_the_hell_is_an_undecided_voter.html

I think that's it. Everyone talks about a Shy Trump Vote, but I think there is a larger Shy Clinton vote.

We forget as non-americans that in republican circles, voting for Clinton is very much frowned upon. So I could see a lot of republicans doing the same as that group and voting for Clinton over an objectively terrible Trump.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The level of detail available on USA voting is astronomical. As I said, in NC you can get a name, address, age, gender, race and exact day voted of the early voting data.

a GOTV operation doesn't compare to Rallys or how many Halloween masks are sold...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

LOL. Very good.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

It's pretty clear that Trump himself has given up on the race. He's spending time opening hotels and promoting golf courses rather than campaigning, he's stopped fundraising, and he obviously isn't flushing more of his own money down the drain either.

Mike, that's really terrible despair trolling :lol:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

LOL. Very good.
    My horse looks to be so far ahead it's actually stopped and is helping out horses on other race tracks for a bit.

I'm hoping there isnt going to be a tortoise and hare thing going on.
  • Options
    Guido Fawkes ✔ @GuidoFawkes
    Only economic shock was how shockingly bad the HM Treasury forecast was...
    View image on Twitter
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

LOL. Very good.
    My horse looks to be so far ahead it's actually stopped and is helping out horses on other race tracks for a bit.

Isn't the Tortoise thoughtful and intelligent comapred to the Hare?
  • Options
    Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil
    Case for Bank of England cutting interest rates 2nd time has probably evaporated. Not clear it was necessary they did it post-June 23rd
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If you can get all those details how is that a secret ballot?

My 0.6% prediction might still be right when the first revision of Q3 GDP comes in. Ones thing for sure, the masses will never believe economists ever again. That's if they believed them in the first place.
  • Options

Trump's a whirlwind of activity while Hillary's largely invisible presumed bedridden.
  • Options

View image on Twitter

BREXIT HASN'T HAPPENED YET
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

paging Scott

Lol - is that how business works then ? Not many straws left to clutch.

• Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

paging Scott

Its almost like we voted to REMAIN. 0.5% q3 GDP
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

LOL. Very good.

I think McCain will hold on in Arizona but Clinton must be hoping/expecting to win the State now for herself. Helping others in these scenarios is very often helping herself. And the difference between Dems keen to have Clinton with them and GOPs keeping their distance from Trump is itself quite a telling motif.
  • Options
    JackW said:

FPT :

1. Mike Pence having been dispatched yesterday to shore up Utah is today off to Omaha to fend off Clinton in NE CD02.

2. Clinton campaign moving resources from Nevada to Arizona as it considers the former is moving comfortably into their column.

With another poll showing him only 3% ahead, Mike should forget Omaha and get down to Texas.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    619 said:

JackW said:

I think that's it. Everyone talks about a Shy Trump Vote, but I think there is a larger Shy Clinton vote.

We forget as non-americans that in republican circles, voting for Clinton is very much frowned upon. So I could see a lot of republicans doing the same as that group and voting for Clinton over an objectively terrible Trump.
    Certainly, we can't rule either out.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    619 said:

View image on Twitter

But sentiment about the prospect of Brexit is priced in to these figures.

Please don't shout, but well done for your first ever post which says anything other than YEBBUT TRUMP.
  • Options
    619 said:

View image on Twitter

This has to be the most hilarious excuse yet - no doubt share prices don't react to results until the dividend cheques clear :D
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    619 said:

View image on Twitter

The Treasury Forecast was predicated ONLY on a 'No' vote and was between -0.1% and -1.0% for Q3
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    The better the GDP is over the next 2 years the nastier the negotiations are going to be.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

I like backing both horses 8)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/791561245128294400

Brexiteers. This is great news.

Remoaners. This is terrible.

Take your pick...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil
    Case for Bank of England cutting interest rates 2nd time has probably evaporated. Not clear it was necessary they did it post-June 23rd

He was saying "look we've got this covered". Much worse not to have cut, signalled that the BoE was in the slipstream rather than in control, and then any economic shock would have required a catching-up.

The quantum of cut was such that it was neither here nor there, but it said "we're all over this".
  • Options
    Spreadex have finally got out of bed. Their mid-spread numbers favour Hillary by 5 ECVs compared with Sporting's current quotes:

Cinton ...... 336 ECVs

Trump ...... 200 ECVs
  • Options
    wasd said:

The better the GDP is over the next 2 years the nastier the negotiations are going to be.

For Brussels.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

paging Scott

Agreed. The truth is that the UK economy is a pretty big beast with a lot of internal momentum. If there is an adverse effect on our trade (and we haven't seen it yet) then it will be a percentage of a percentage of our overall business and something for those who get excited about decimal points to worry about. Any effect is likely to get lost in the noise of a volatile international economy.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Economy increasingly reliant on service sector which has grown by 9.7% since 2013.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Economy increasingly reliant on service sector which has grown by 9.7% since 2013.

March of the makers. :D
  • Options
    wasd said:

Conversely , the better the figures the more BMWs and Mercs we will be buying from the Germans - who run the EU.

• Options

Trump's a whirlwind of activity while Hillary's largely invisible presumed bedridden.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha

She has had public campaign events in the swing states for the last week.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    619 said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Normal service has now resumed.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_P said:

Take your pick...

As someone in one of the creative 'professions' which are apparently leading the success in the services sectorI I can tell you with regard to Brexit nothing much has changed.

When it is implimented and the UK stops being the centre for pan european advertising as it might things could change very fast. Advertising has always been a bellwether.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    TGOHF said:

wasd said:

Conversely , the better the figures the more BMWs and Mercs we will be buying from the Germans - who run the EU.

The noise we appear to be getting is that we cannot be seen to win from Brexit. And while some of it is *just* noise there will also be some who actually believe that.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Four left in at Betfair:

Clinton 1.215
    Trump 5.75
    Sanders 360
    Pence 865

Trump has been holding his ground in the betting market for 2.5 weeks. If I were advising him, I'd say make some news, delivering preferably at least two punches - in connection say with foreign policy towards the Middle East and Russia - and look strong. Before the election, things may get hairy in the eastern Mediterranean, and there are ongoing land battles for Aleppo, Kirkuk and Mosul. Mosul especially, where US soldiers are engaged, looks like money for the self-assured man with the tremendous assets. Don't whinge about the media; play judo with them. With his mental problems, is he going to understand that? Never mind whether someone says you have short fingers. The media can be like a juggernaut or oil tanker. They may report some more about what Trump does to young non-consenting women with his hands or even his willy, but they're not going to stop reporting the Russian aircraft carrier. Look strong. He's quite good at that, but he needs to tweak his act. He's not going to "be like water" like Bruce Lee, but he needs to avoid looking all the time like a posturing Mussolini with his chin jutting out. Mussolini only won an election after he was already in office.

Helmut Norpoth, who predicts a Trump win, says his model would have picked the winner every time since 1912 except 1960, year of the famous Kennedy-Nixon TV debate, but maybe the debates this year make 2016 like 1960. The inputs into his model are performance in the primaries relative to rival candidates in the same party - especially in New Hampshire - and the number of terms the sitting president has been in the White House, but I don't know how he calculates probabilities. It's kind of refreshing for someone not to be crunching polls, even if the model's accuracy with past results is probably an artefact. (Though it's probably not as bad as saying that no horse with a 'D' in its name has ever won this race on a Tuesday.)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Take your pick...

Mr Conway should know better than to focus on a single Q and to overlook revisions particularly to construction.

However this is a chap who spent his entire prebudget interview with a recent CoTE talking about whether he travelled 1st or 2nd class on a train so well..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

paging Scott

Agreed. The truth is that the UK economy is a pretty big beast with a lot of internal momentum. If there is an adverse effect on our trade (and we haven't seen it yet) then it will be a percentage of a percentage of our overall business and something for those who get excited about decimal points to worry about. Any effect is likely to get lost in the noise of a volatile international economy.
    The reality is that in 1000s of businesses which trade with EU they have no idea what is going to happen in a year or two.

It seems to me that the Treasury stuff was based on the idea that there would be an immediate psychological chill in people's economic activity. Clearly there hasn't been - doesn't mean when the real trouble with trade, custom's paperwork etc etc starts there won't be a dip.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), we'll discover who runs the EU (nation states or Brussels bureaucracy) when we negotiate after triggering Article 50.
  • Options
    nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

With another poll showing him only 3% ahead, Mike should forget Omaha and get down to Texas.
    I expect Trump to hold Texas by 5+. That said a visit by a Clinton surrogate will raise an eyebrow.

Pence having to campaign in Utah and Omaha speaks volumes. You don't send your Veep pick and one of your few competent surrogates there unless there's trouble.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

He was saying "look we've got this covered". Much worse not to have cut, signalled that the BoE was in the slipstream rather than in control, and then any economic shock would have required a catching-up.

The quantum of cut was such that it was neither here nor there, but it said "we're all over this".
    Nah, it was a mistake and probably contributed to the fall in sterling. While that is welcome that is not the sort of thing central banks should be encouraging in a time of uncertainty.

But it was a small mistake in the overall scheme of things which will hopefully be reversed quite soon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited October 2016
    Interesting comparison but the Tories led most final election 2015 polls, BREXIT is the better comparison as Remain led most final polls in EU ref. Remain also led by 10 points in one poll and Labour never led by that much. Demographically too the Tory vote was closer to the Remain and Hillary vote as graduates voted Tory as did the rich, both groups are for Hillary. It was the white working class, including UKIP and Labour voters who won it for Leave and it is that demographic which backs Trump. Early voting is interesting but not a cast iron prediction, the Democrats had comfortable double digit early voting leads in Iowa and North Carolina in 2012 for instance and the result was closer and Romney won North Carolina
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Come on Texas. Go blue!!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

Nah, it was a mistake and probably contributed to the fall in sterling. While that is welcome that is not the sort of thing central banks should be encouraging in a time of uncertainty.

But it was a small mistake in the overall scheme of things which will hopefully be reversed quite soon.
    In our current global near-zero and negative interest rate environment a small cut in rates sent sterling down by 10%? Not 100% sure that flies. "Contributed to"? Perhaps. Not much though.
  • Options
    Mr. L, we'll see. I largely agree, but I think a hold is the best we can hope for, though a rate rise is more sensible.
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Shy African American Trump voters more likely than shy Republican Clinton voters, the latter more likely to vote Johnson
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

619 said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

I mentioned some cumulative rally numbers the other day - since August Hillary's got about 31.5k audience - Trump 516k. He clocked another 20kish in Tallahassee and he's doing three events a day. I've no idea how he's the energy to do this and fit in media appearances on talk shows as well. He's been on Hannity and Rush plus others in the last couple of days.

Hillary hasn't been on O'Reilly Factor once - he's been on 43x apparently.

The blind-eyeing of the media to Hillary's low profile/green screen speeches is amazing. She did another one with graphics worthy of 80s Dr Who - and no one is pointing them out.
  • Options

He is often doing more events than Hillary and he opened the new hotel in Florida, a key swing state
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

I expect Trump to hold Texas by 5+. That said a visit by a Clinton surrogate will raise an eyebrow.

Pence having to campaign in Utah and Omaha speaks volumes. You don't send your Veep pick and one of your few competent surrogates there unless there's trouble.
    Tim Kaine, Mrs Clinton's incompetent surrogate, has been spreading the boredom in Pennsylvania. Trouble brewing.
    http://6abc.com/politics/tim-kaine-campaigns-in-bucks-county-allentown/1574677/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    DavidL said:

First poll this morning from LA Times has Trump ahead, no poll has Corbyn ahead
  • Options
    edited October 2016

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

paging Scott

The reality is that in 1000s of businesses which trade with EU they have no idea what is going to happen in a year or two.

It seems to me that the Treasury stuff was based on the idea that there would be an immediate psychological chill in people's economic activity. Clearly there hasn't been - doesn't mean when the real trouble with trade, custom's paperwork etc etc starts there won't be a dip.
    I don't dispute that. But the vast majority of our businesses only trade in the domestic market. That is what I mean by the internal momentum.

And right now sterling is down by more than WTO tariffs against the Euro so UK competitiveness in terms of selling into Europe is unlikely to be significantly affected. What will be a bigger problem is the regulation of services when we leave the single market. Hence all the focus on passporting etc.

I will be genuinely surprised if we do not end up with tariff free trade in goods but I accept that there will be consequences of not being in the customs union and in our ability to provide international services from here with local regulation being sufficient.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ishmael_X said:

619 said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

I mentioned some cumulative rally numbers the other day - since August Hillary's got about 31.5k audience - Trump 516k. He clocked another 20kish in Tallahassee and he's doing three events a day. I've no idea how he's the energy to do this and fit in media appearances on talk shows as well. He's been on Hannity and Rush plus others in the last couple of days.

The blind-eyeing of the media to Hillary's low profile/green screen speeches is amazing. She did another one with graphics worthy of 80s Dr Who - and no one is pointing them out.
    He's been on Fox news 43 times. Wow. Really trying to get those swing voters.
  • Options

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Tim Kaine, Mrs Clinton's incompetent surrogate, has been spreading the boredom in Pennsylvania. Trouble brewing.
    Pennsylvania is a swing state with Senate races too. Utah and NE CD02 should be completely off the table if Trump had a sniff of winning.
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), we'll discover who runs the EU (nation states or Brussels bureaucracy) when we negotiate after triggering Article 50.

Nation states? Bureaucracy? Big business runs the EU. For a non-financial grouping, look at the European Round Table of Industrialists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He is often doing more events than Hillary and he opened the new hotel in Florida, a key swing state
    The hotel opening was a deliberate advertorial - he's demonstrating a top quality venue with prestige label job creation. It's a direct evidence example of MAGA. It's Branson era stuff with knobs on when he was battling with BA.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Pennsylvania is a swing state with Senate races too. Utah and NE CD02 should be completely off the table if Trump had a sniff of winning.
    Yeah, i think if Pen was in trouble, Biden or the Obamas would be there.
  • Options
    nunu said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ishmael_X said:

619 said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

He's been on Fox news 43 times. Wow. Really trying to get those swing voters.
    Really doing the tough, hard hitting interviews.

From all his sniffing during the debates, we know where he is getting his energy.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Pennsylvania's the key. Hillary's Stalingrad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The hotel opening yesterday was in DC - that well known Trump safe area with vast number of black and WWC voters chaffing at the bit to vote for Donald ....

Hhmmm .....
  • Options

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Kaine is vying with Owen Thingy for a lack of rally enthusiasm - he'd about 50ish audience yesterday. Maybe he needed an ice cream van to boost his numbers.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I agree that most of the effects are yet to happen, and if anything things are more uncertain than they were immediately after the vote. But surely that uncertainty and today's figures emphasise what a load of fatuous guff long term economic forecasts are?

The truth is nobody knows whether or not we will be better off in or out in the long term, nor is it knowable as we can't compare the future outcome with the path that will not be taken. The only thing we could do is look at relative performance against the EU countries, but even there there so many other factors than come into play that attributing relative success or failure to EU membership would be extremely difficult.

I'll say it again, we should spend our time looking at UK productivity as it has the potential to be more fruitful than any outcome of our EU exit negotiations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

First poll this morning from LA Times has Trump ahead, no poll has Corbyn ahead
    I do like your persistence with the least respected poll this cycle.

• Options

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Come on Texas. Go blue!!
    Next race i reckon, especially if the Republicans go racist again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

JackW said:

619 said:

JackW said:

Shy African American Trump voters more likely than shy Republican Clinton voters, the latter more likely to vote Johnson
    Those AA Trump voters must be REALLY shy then.

Maybe they won't vote for an out and out racist like Trump?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    nunu said:
    lol.

That election was much more of a toss-up compared to Trump/Clinton.

Just taking a simple average of the polls - then betting on it - really isn't a stupid strategy in these presidential election thingys.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

Demographically too the Tory vote was closer to the Remain and Hillary vote as graduates voted Tory as did the rich, both groups are for Hillary.

Going by bumper stickers, my source in Florida says it's the owners of the expensive flash cars and the beat-up trucks who are for Trump, and those who drive more middling cars who are for Hillary.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    When do we get #PMI data?
  • Options

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

His idea to ban Papists was interesting

http://spinzon.com/tim-kaine-catholic-church-will-change-sex-marriage-stance-will-banned-u-s/

"The United States of America, more precisely, the future President of the United States of America, Hillary Clinton, will state an ultimatum. And that ultimatum will be to either change its stance on same-sex marriage or pack its bags and get out of America"
  • Options
    619 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

Yeah, i think if Pen was in trouble, Biden or the Obamas would be there.
    I think the Obama's Biden and Clinton will go to PA. She is already pivoting to assist Senate and House races. The other factor is that her campaign has a large number of top line surrogates to visit swing states regularly, whereas Trump doesn't.
  • Options
    Allison Pearson
    In more Brexit Bad News, Dutch bank IMG just created 400 new jobs in... the City of London. Don't they know the exodus is about to start?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I guess Americans are less shy (more brazen) about supporting right wing candidates than the British?

However, there's never been a candidate like Trump so I still think it's questioning how many people would actually admit to voting for him.

Personally I think there will be a shy Trump factor but not enough to stop the Clintons.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

In our current global near-zero and negative interest rate environment a small cut in rates sent sterling down by 10%? Not 100% sure that flies. "Contributed to"? Perhaps. Not much though.
    It was a signal from the BoE that they saw trouble ahead and were negative on the UK economy as a result of the vote. That is what contributed to the fall. It was the wrong message and the wrong assessment of where we were. But, as I said, it was a small mistake and easily rectified.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, could be wrong but I think someone here posted that there's no early UK PMI data anymore, so we don't have it despite other countries having theirs.
  • Options

Mr. Gin, could be wrong but I think someone here posted that there's no early UK PMI data anymore, so we don't have it despite other countries having theirs.

Oh! :(
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

http://spinzon.com/tim-kaine-catholic-church-will-change-sex-marriage-stance-will-banned-u-s/

"The United States of America, more precisely, the future President of the United States of America, Hillary Clinton, will state an ultimatum. And that ultimatum will be to either change its stance on same-sex marriage or pack its bags and get out of America"
    Hillary must have looked long and hard to find a less attractive Veep candidate than herself. Kaine isn't as nice as he looks.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I guess Americans are less shy (more brazen) about supporting right wing candidates than the British?
    I think there's a few things going on - that resemble the Brexit behaviours.

- Shy Trumpers won't know others who feel the same - despite possibly knowing a few who are equally shy.

- Vocal Trumpers who live in areas where Trumpers are in the majority

- Those who feel their workplace or livelihood could be damaged by saying they'd vote Trump [public sector et al]

- People who don't like Trump per se, but want MAGA rather than Continuity Obama/Hillary

- People who don't vote or haven't for decades and now are - impossible to track

I honestly don't take much notice of the polling - I just glance at the internals and mostly laugh at the skewed samples - like Brexit, they're making the news not reflecting it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Trump will be either be president or gone from the GOP in just under 2 weeks.

Corbyn OTOH..
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @DavidL

"What will be a bigger problem is the regulation of services when we leave the single market. Hence all the focus on passporting etc. "

Mr. L., I remember reading a while back a seemingly authoritative article which suggested the loss of passporting could lose the City business worth as much as £10bn a year. It sounds a lot but in terms of the overall worth of the City's business it is a very small proportion and in terms of tax take it will be a rounding error. The point made up-thread about percentage of a percentage is, I think, very valid.

@glw
    "I'll say it again, we should spend our time looking at UK productivity as it has the potential to be more fruitful than any outcome of our EU exit negotiations."

Yup, the UK's productivity is, as noted on here many times, pretty crap and we are not going to become more wealthy as a nation until that is sorted. It is I think a complicated problem but on of the causes is surely the ever increasing population which enables firms to exist by using cheap, taxpayer subsidised, labour rather than investing in new methods, plant and training.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Trump will be either be president or gone from the GOP in just under 2 weeks.

Corbyn OTOH..
    Well technically he wouldn't be President until January but yes. Not sure that the damage done to the GOP will be so short lived though. Or Labour come to that.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

JackW said:

FPT :

'Pavlov's Prod'
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    TGOHF said:

That's a fake quote.

Which isn't to say the Society of Jesus, whom Kaine plays for, hasn't got form playing both sides of the street. Kaine will probably be president some day.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Clinton wins it will be quite a milestone.

The Democrats have not held the Whitehouse for more than 8 unbroken years since the 22nd amendment.
This discussion has been closed.