Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dramatic developments in the White House Race as FBI announces

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Dramatic developments in the White House Race as FBI announces new on Clinton’s emails

The FBI has launched a new investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server https://t.co/ExbTlmtWRq pic.twitter.com/HdRBRHLFTT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    First like Trump?
  • Options
    Chuffing hell I wanted a quite Friday night and not to worry about betting nor politics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Choo choo!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Clinton more skeletons than an ossuary.
  • Options
    It's huge news. It's a gift to Trump and, understandably, the GOP is spinning it for all its worth. Whether what has actually happened justifies the hysteria is another matter, but the story is out there, the headlines have been written and Hillary's campaign is suddenly in deep trouble.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    dr_spyn said:

Clinton has more skeletons than a graveyard.
  • Options

Our next Prime Minister

Which party is she from?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    That £600k bet is significant.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I've laid off Trump a smidgen at 4.5, not as much as @Pong mind.

Narrow Trump win still my best result.
  • Options
    A less hysterical take:
    https://thinkprogress.org/the-fbi-directors-letter-about-the-clinton-emails-says-a-lot-less-than-the-media-wants-you-to-aa61e81e5a97#.4bp93pcpp
    But it doesn't matter. It's the coverage that counts. Hillary could just have lost this now.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    From the previous thread, thanks to Malmesbury for a really erudite and considered summary.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited October 2016
    Phooqing awful news for those who sold Trump on the ECV spreads.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Won't lots of people just think it's a continuation of the same story that's been around for ages already.

If people weren't interested / bothered by "Clinton emails" before, are they suddenly likely to take a different view now?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Pong said:

That £600k bet is significant.

Do you know why it didn't move the price?
  • Options
    FBI. Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity. Words never associated with la familia Clinton.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    FPT

Sandpit said:

From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

Is she about to get arrested, or is Comey about to resign?
    The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
    I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
    I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.

Looking at the story in the Guardian, Comey says:

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
    The FBI's reputation is now on the line. They're effectively saying Mrs Clinton is unfit for office.
    What took them so long?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Our next Prime Minister

Which party is she from?
    The dinner party.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    err Hilary - want to talk about the elephant in the room?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited October 2016

It's huge news. It's a gift to Trump and, understandably, the GOP is spinning it for all its worth. Whether what has actually happened justifies the hysteria is another matter, but the story is out there, the headlines have been written and Hillary's campaign is suddenly in deep trouble.

The timing is awful.

That just makes me wonder if this was too big to bury until after the election.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I sold Trump, but also sold Hillary 250ups.

@Richard_Nabavi also chose a good point to sell Hillary ups today !
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

A less hysterical take:
    https://thinkprogress.org/the-fbi-directors-letter-about-the-clinton-emails-says-a-lot-less-than-the-media-wants-you-to-aa61e81e5a97#.4bp93pcpp
    But it doesn't matter. It's the coverage that counts. Hillary could just have lost this now.

I am pretty certain that she will manage to avoid charges again - the optics of Obama pardoning everyone in sight might be a bit much though
  • Options

FBI. Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity. Words never associated with la familia Clinton.

Integrity, honesty, good hair, half your age plus seven, words never associated with Trump.

You stake your money and.
  • Options
    Actually the timing such as it is is ideal for Clinton, just imagine if this had come out before the final debate.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    matt said:

From the previous thread, thanks to Malmesbury for a really erudite and considered summary.

It's just my opinion... but... the problem Hillary has is that many, many of *her supporters* think it is the truth. It is the reason she hasn't crushed Trump the way any decent candidate should have done. Imagine Bernie Sanders, 20 years younger and a few less on the loony positions. He would have be on 65% by now.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    MikeL said:

Won't lots of people just think it's a continuation of the same story that's been around for ages already.

If people weren't interested / bothered by "Clinton emails" before, are they suddenly likely to take a different view now?

If Clinton was using a separate, private server that she didn't disclose.....one not mentioned before....and there is even the remotest hint of government business in it.......then she is real trouble. I mean Nixon kind of trouble...maybe worse....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering whether Trump will manage to screw up this opportunity or whether another tape will emerge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited October 2016
    Pulpstar said:

I sold Trump, but also sold Hillary 250ups.

@Richard_Nabavi also chose a good point to sell Hillary ups today !
    What a bizarre election.

We've talked about Hillary taking Texas and the GOP candidate losing Utah and he could still become POTUS
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

Trump supporters chanting 'lock her up, lock her up'

In future years there will be a whole masters course on 'politics 2015-2016'
  • Options
    Just seen that 600k bet highlighted, genuine or a data bug? A real bet that size would surely have moved the prices by miles?
  • Options

Actually the timing such as it is is ideal for Clinton, just imagine if this had come out before the final debate.

Yes ideal. 100 % ideal timing, couldn't have been better for the crooked crone.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    That'll be the best tip ever if she wins. What's her name? I need to get on!
  • Options
    tyson said:

MikeL said:

If Clinton was using a separate, private server that she didn't disclose.....one not mentioned before....and there is even the remotest hint of government business in it.......then she is real trouble. I mean Nixon kind of trouble...maybe worse....
    The most probable trajectory will be... investigate, investigate, investigate. A report saying someone did a bad thing, but didn't mean it. And it wasn't Clinton anyway. Plus, look - a squirrel....
  • Options

Disagree. In a debate she will come across as more presidential 9 times out of 10. This is the worst possible timing because she has no set pieces left to reframe the campaign, and doesn't have any way to change the news cycle.
  • Options

Not sure about that - I think Trump would have bellowed about it and put many people off with his demeanour, and then people got slightly bored with the issue. By this coming out on a Friday, it means it will dominate the Sunday shows.
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

I am pretty certain that she will manage to avoid charges again - the optics of Obama pardoning everyone in sight might be a bit much though
    Can Congress not still impeach her though, irrespective of what the outgoing president tries to pardon?
  • Options

matt said:

It's just my opinion... but... the problem Hillary has is that many, many of *her supporters* think it is the truth. It is the reason she hasn't crushed Trump the way any decent candidate should have done. Imagine Bernie Sanders, 20 years younger and a few less on the loony positions. He would have be on 65% by now.
    Imagine Obama up against him. Hell, even Dukakis would be in the right place.
  • Options
    It's not matched by dilated pupils....it strikes me as a very sober kind of gurn; not even a hint of the Peruvian marching powder, or the Mitzi's happy pills....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The irony is not lost on me. There are accusations of corruption by Trumpers V Clinton and vice versa... the Americans as a whole think Putin is corrupt..

God help us all. Is there anyone sane in the superpowers.
  • Options

tyson said:

MikeL said:

The most probable trajectory will be... investigate, investigate, investigate. A report saying someone did a bad thing, but didn't mean it. And it wasn't Clinton anyway. Plus, look - a squirrel....
    In two weeks - if this sticks who knows what will happen
  • Options
    This could fire up the Trump leaning undecideds and make a few more Clinton waiverers stay at home. In a close election that could be critical.
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

Is there a masters on 1848? Crisis and the recovery of authority perhaps.
  • Options

The irony is not lost on me. There are accusations of corruption by Trumpers V Clinton and vice versa... the Americans as a whole think Putin is corrupt..

Theresa May
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This could fire up the Trump leaning undecideds and make a few more Clinton waiverers stay at home. In a close election that could be critical.

Yes, it's got to neutralise a large part of her GOTV advantage. How do you get people out to vote for a crook?
  • Options

tyson said:

MikeL said:

There is no way the investigation can be finished before the election. It will just rumble on in the background as a big distraction for Hillary.
  • Options
    Well interesting stuff from across the pond isn't it? I don't know what to make of this but surely the prospect of another Clinton administration mired in investigations, and presumably potential impeachment, will put off some voters? I'm guessing a President can still be impeached for a misdemeanour alleged prior to taking office?

Good threads on here today pb.com: well done Mike if you're around. I was a touch critical the other day so praise is due today.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited October 2016
    I see pb.com is overreacting again. Any other GOP candidate would be able to capitalise on this story, but trump will mess even this up.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Can Congress not still impeach her though, irrespective of what the outgoing president tries to pardon?
    That's my understanding.

Two impeached Clinton Presidents :D Is there a market?!!!!!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Which is possibly where the FBI played a bit of politics IMO.
  • Options

Theresa May
    Dull and sane are not synonyms.
  • Options

Theresa May
    If Theresa May has the skill, intelligence, temperament and ability to chart the choppy waters ahead I will be amazed......my tip is that she will fall faster than a whore's drawers when it all comes to crap, but I may be wrong....

I could be wrong though

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's got to neutralise a large part of her GOTV advantage. How do you get people out to vote for a crook?
    "Vote for the Crook - not the Lunatic. It's important."

Hence everyone turning out in French Presidential elections for the second round, to vote for some crook, fool or loony to avoid the current Le Pen getting in.
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

This and TSE's below re. the most bizarre election: it really is the most extraordinary election.

2016: the most extraordinary year in US-UK politics ever?
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

MikeL said:

If, big if, that turns out to be the case, and they show that between now and Nov 8th, then she's finished.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I see pb.com is overreacting again. Any other GOP candidate would be able to capitalise on this story, but trump will mess even this up.

LOL. But yes, they should put Pence front and centre for the next 24 hours, and take Donald's Twitter account off him! This is the best chance they're gonna get, they can't afford to F it up.
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

This and TSE's below re. the most bizarre election: it really is the most extraordinary election.

1812-1815 might be more extraordinary.

We set the White House on fire.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'If Theresa May has the skill, intelligence, temperament and ability to chart the choppy waters ahead I will be amazed......my tip is that she will fall faster than a whore's drawers when it all comes to crap, but I may be wrong....

I could be wrong though'

You usually are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

MikeL said:

There is no way the investigation can be finished before the election. It will just rumble on in the background as a big distraction for Hillary.
    Quite. My expectation is that Obama will pardon everyone. The investigation will wander around for a while and then quietly die.
  • Options
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    Does anyone still think Trump isn't in with a chance? He's even donned a tie that's similar to an Old Etonian one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpKuUKHNoE
    tyson said:

If Theresa May has the skill, intelligence, temperament and ability to chart the choppy waters ahead I will be amazed......my tip is that she will fall faster than a whore's drawers when it all comes to crap, but I may be wrong....

She and Johnson will be gone by the end of next year at the latest. They will be a footnote: "remember the crazy year when that pair were in office and some people even thought they were competent?"

• Options
    In the sense that Clinton is not going to jail - yes. This will be (90% probability) yet another chapter in the... interesting story that is Clinton and the law.

The only interesting bit is how it will get swept under the carpet this time.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Theresa May

I could be wrong though

Well at least we have a degree of stability with our new PM. The US channels are going off the scale of hysteria over Clinton's e mails.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    dr_spyn said:
    Look - Squirrel! Does it matter where the evidence comes from or Why the FBI have re-opened it?
  • Options

A less hysterical take:

I was at school with a boy whose family still had silverware from the Whitehouse. He claimed they used the teaspoons once when the US Ambassador was visiting....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu said:

Video of Clinton comatose being dragged into a van. Dynamite - should have won Trump the election .

News that Clinton has emails. Damp squid. So far.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

A less hysterical take:

1776 might be a relevant date....

The hyperbole ( regardless of historical ignorance) is extraordinary....
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Pulpstar

'This could fire up the Trump leaning undecideds and make a few more Clinton waiverers stay at home. In a close election that could be critical.'

Looks like the crooked Hillary label could stick.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

dr_spyn said:

Clinton has more skeletons than a graveyard.
    The trouble is that they (the skeletons) will still vote for her.
  • Options

"Is there anyone sane in the superpowers."

thinks...

No, actually, there isn't.

Do you remember when people complained about George Herbert Walker Bush not being a great president? Then compare him to the last decade or 2....
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

nunu said:

Video of Clinton comatose being dragged into a van. Dynamite - should have won Trump the election .

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

Sorry, it's a bugbare of mine.

;)
  • Options

FPT

Sandpit said:

From 3,500 miles away, this re-opening of the enquiry into Hillary's email activities just 10 days prior to the POTUS elections looks to me like pure unadulterated politics and I'm hardly what you would describe as one of her greatest fans.

Clearly, but what's behind the reopening? Up until now, their critics would say that the FBI have gone out of their way to exonerate Clinton, in a way they wouldn't have done for anyone else. There must have been something come to light that makes all the other stuff look insignificant.

Is she about to get arrested, or is Comey about to resign?
    The FBI had better have some pretty damning new evidence, or this represents a terrifying intrusion into politics.
    I'm sure the FBI is well aware of the gravity of this intervention. Whatever it is must be utterly damning for Crooked Hillary.
    I haven't been following the email investigation so closely as it seemed like a storm in a teacup.

Looking at the story in the Guardian, Comey says:

“Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant and I cannot predict how long it will take to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.”

So he's not claiming a smoking gun. In God's name then, why ten days before an election? He should have taken emergency holiday leave.
    The FBI's reputation is now on the line. They're effectively saying Mrs Clinton is unfit for office.
    What took them so long?
    Possibly internal politics - maybe the FBI were trying to buy off the agents unhappy about the original FBI investigation and wanting to spill the beans - and couldn't do it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2016

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't

Edit: goodnight. The white house was named for the whitewash used to cover the smoke damage. Technically we set fire to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. /pedant
  • Options
    Charles said:

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't
    Inside job? :D
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

Sorry, it's a bugbare of mine. ;)
    Surely all squid are damp?
  • Options

"Is there anyone sane in the superpowers."

thinks...

No, actually, there isn't.

Do you remember when people complained about George Herbert Walker Bush not being a great president? Then compare him to the last decade or 2....
    They've had a good run from Reagan to today. It's next year that's the problem....
  • Options
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

Stupid autocorrect.
  • Options
    Always best to wait and see on these stories. So much spin takes time to wade through.

• Options

tyson said:

Theresa May

I could be wrong though

Well at least we have a degree of stability with our new PM. The US channels are going off the scale of hysteria over Clinton's e mails.
    Don't get me wrong....I actually like Theresa May.I do. She's not from my political standpoint, but I like the way she conducts herself. I'm not a bitterite like TSE (god bless his cotton socks), but I'm from a different party, and can be more subjective.

I was trying to think of a UK politician for my reply who was up to the challenges that May faces. I couldn't think of one. Maybe Tim Farron (joking....honestly)..... I think being PM at this moment is a thankless task..... doomed...... I tell you doomed to failure. And the job is pretty much nailed on doomed at the best of circumstances.

So, if she is left standing in 3 years time and wins a GE election and guides the UK through these choppy waters, fair play to the gal. She deserves to buy herself a few treats.....
  • Options

Pong said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

Surely all squid are damp?
    Put em under a grill.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    How amusing. Sexual predator Anthony Weiner's inability to control his disgusting urges could torpedo Clinton's chances at becoming president.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/792082223461695488
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    From the previous thread Tyson said:
    " Brexit was a vote against elites, and oh yes....that vote has directly led to dramatically enriching the elite through enhancing their portfolios.

I looked at my holdings yesterday because I'm starting the dreaded tax return. I haven't looked at them since this time last year. I'm ashamed to be honest about how much money I have made by doing sweet FA.

It doesn't seem fair that things are just so stacked up for the rich. Once you acquire assets, the money just keeps rolling in. If you lose one way (exchange rates) you gain in another. "

So it says in the Bible, and probably further back. But then there was a practice called tithing.
    That's the solution, or even double tithing.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

How amusing. Sexual predator Anthony Weiner's inability to control his disgusting urges could torpedo Clinton's chances at becoming president.

A chance for Trump to reprise one of his funniest moments of the campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sm-Cf5MG4
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't
    See my edit
  • Options
    The FBI apparantly have a backup copy of all e-mails that Clinton had on her server as she used a commercial cloud backup-system (Datto).

Two weeks ago they were served with a FOI request to release all the information. I suspect that they had two weeks to reply - which has now run out.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Charles said:

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't

Edit: goodnight. The white house was named for the whitewash used to cover the smoke damage. Technically we set fire to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. /pedant
    We set the Presidential Mansion on fire. Or is it a different hair that you're splitting?

Edit: I see you've acknowledged the hairs....
  • Options
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

;)
    Bugbear surely while you are correcting Pong.......

But squid is rather yummy when its moist and not rubbery. I eat seafood and squid is one of my luxuries.....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    So, emails not written by Clinton, discovered in the Weiner case.

How does this damage Clinton directly? Maybe one of the aides gets charged?
  • Options
    If you look at Kurt's tweets, he is not the most unbiased source.

Again, do not think this changes the partisans on either side. But it does fire up his base and could depress hers - not great when your strategy is reliant on a GOTV-early campaign.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pong said:

Alistair said:

nunu said:

SQUIB

DAMP SQUIB.

;)
    Bugbear surely while you are correcting Pong.......

But squid is rather yummy when its moist and not rubbery. I eat seafood and squid is one of my luxuries.....
    The vegetarian who tucks into an animal with 3 hearts and 1000 chromosones :o !
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't
    See my edit
    That was extremely pedantic. Very good!
  • Options
    matt said:

Charles said:

A less hysterical take:

No we didn't

We set the Presidential Mansion on fire. Or is it a different hair that you're splitting?
    You must be a newbie

Hair-splitting pedantry is a time-honoured pb tradition
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Pulpstar said:

"Vote for the Crook - not the Lunatic. It's important."

Hence everyone turning out in French Presidential elections for the second round, to vote for some crook, fool or loony to avoid the current Le Pen getting in.
    Quite soon some Democrats will probably say it's time to dump Clinton.

MP_SE said:

A chance for Trump to reprise one of his funniest moments of the campaign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sm-Cf5MG4
    Trump is a brilliant speaker, at least a class above the competition.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Does anyone still think Trump isn't in with a chance? He's even donned a tie that's similar to an Old Etonian one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpKuUKHNoE

tyson said:

She and Johnson will be gone by the end of next year at the latest. They will be a footnote: "remember the crazy year when that pair were in office and some people even thought they were competent?"

You are just being silly and prejudiced.

Interesting that in Northern Ireland today the Courts ruled that TM can invoke A50 under perogative. powers. It is being appealed and of course there are cases going through in the UK but by Xmas it is more than likely that TM will be given the all clear to serve A50 by the end of March 2017 as she has said
This discussion has been closed.