Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : October 27th 2016 and October Summ

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Results : October 27th 2016 and October Summary

Rhyl West on Denbighshire (Lab defence) Result: Lab 199 (48% +5% on 2012), Con 93 (22% -3% on 2012), Ind (Shone) 55 (13%), Ind (Webster) 42 (10%), Lib Dem 26 (6%, no candidate in 2012) Labour HOLD with a majority of 106 (26%) on a swing of 4% from Con to Lab Total Independent vote: 97 (23% +6% on 2012)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for useful info and analysis as always
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Thanks for useful info and analysis as always

seconded!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Thirded!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    "Biden rules out secretary of state job"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37801564

I guess it is time for Joe to make some serious money, rather than doing a proper job.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    6 Labour losses versus 4 Tories, one UKIP.

2 LibDem gains, 2 Tory, 2 Independents, 1 Local Residents, 1 Labour, 1 UKIP, 1 Plaid Cymru, 1 SNP.

Net position: Labour down 5, Tories down 2, UKIP a wash, LibDems up 2.

Seems to me the story is that Labour are the losers....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I wonder how many of the 20 million people who have already turned up at polling stations and voted wish they could change their vote in view of today's events.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I wonder how many of the 20 million people who have already turned up at polling stations and voted wish they could change their vote in view of today's events.

Beyond all the spin what has actually happened?

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited October 2016
    Tim_B said:

The first indication will be Florida's daily statistics, I would think. https://countyballotfiles.elections.myflorida.com/FVRSCountyBallotReports/AbsenteeEarlyVotingReports/PublicStats

If the Democrat lead in the early voting fails to increase we will have some indication.

May be some effect tomorrow, but 1st day will be on Sunday. (assuming you can vote during the weekend).

Polls will take 3 days or so to get up to date (except for the weekly trackers which will take 7 days but a trend may become noticeable.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Hillary has gone from someone who is untarnished legally to someone who is now under renewed FBI investigation.
  • Options

6 Labour losses versus 4 Tories, one UKIP.

2 LibDem gains, 2 Tory, 2 Independents, 1 Local Residents, 1 Labour, 1 UKIP, 1 Plaid Cymru, 1 SNP.

Net position: Labour down 5, Tories down 2, UKIP a wash, LibDems up 2.

Seems to me the story is that Labour are the losers....

Half of those local elections will have turned on opposition to housing estate developments, lack of action against gypsy infestations or a sudden critical mass of dog fouling and broken paving slabs.

I'd guess you are probably right that only the Labour number is statistically significant.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

That question holds true for about 95% of everything ever.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Hillary has gone from someone who is untarnished legally to someone who is now under renewed FBI investigation.

No, that hasn't happened.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Has Ms. Plato commented on Hilary's travails yet? ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    'Dickileaks'?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

From Comey's letter to Chaffetz:

"In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation … I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation."
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

'Dickileaks'?

#Dickileaks
  • Options
    weejonnie said:
    In its genre, that is excellent. Up there with the best from the British red-tops.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

"In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation … I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation."

Yep, Hillary is not under renewed FBI investigation.

• Options
    In other news, we need some rain.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Ah so that is why the Democrats are running around in circles - because there's nothing to see.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

They are reviewing Abedin's emails to see if she sent or received classified info.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

Ah so that is why the Democrats are running around in circles - because there's nothing to see.

It's terrible for Hillary. She's lost control of the news cycle and is being comprehensively outspun.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

weejonnie said:

Tim_B said:

The Hillary/FBI/Email stuff has repeatedly (and instantly) moved the market (<<Sanders, <Trump, >>Hillary) throughout the year.

Previously punters have been rather overenthusiastic about the impact similar stories would have.

That was my hunch when I laid trump @ 3/1 once I'd confirmed that;

a ) Hilary was alive and well.
    b ) The story didn't appear to have much substance to it and there was unlikely to be anything further before polling day.
    c ) there wasn't any other news in the public domain that was affecting her campaign.

I expect the resulting media cycle will knock a point or two off Hillary's vote - which only really matters in ohio & Florida. It may make Utah even more interesting - I think it's more likely that the egg mcmuffin rather than the Donald will benefit from a further decline in Hillary's vote there.

I'll reassess my position when we have some actual data early next week. He seems to have stabilized @ 7/2 for now. I'd probably reback him if he drifts out to 9/2 as I think that would represent fair value.

Caveat; I could be wrong. I am quite often wrong. I'm generally more right than wrong though ;)
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

weejonnie said:
    In its genre, that is excellent. Up there with the best from the British red-tops.
    Can a newspaper actually print "dickileaks" on a front page?! Seems a bit much. Won't somebody think of the children?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Shit is going down in South Korea! It's like a plot from terrible fiction.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

What max?
  • Options

In other news, we need some rain.

I think you said that once or twice before.

ps - I had to do a double take the other day as I got an e mail from you re your day job.

Usually my mails from your company are from other people.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Has Ms. Plato commented on Hilary's travails yet? ;)

Has she posted on the Election then?

((innocent face))
  • Options

twitter.com/maitlis/status/791705679648137216

Rather endearing story from Emily Maitlis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37799779

A good Jewish matana m'elohim girl corrupted by marrying a Catholic.
    Tragic.
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?
    President Park has made a public apology because there seems to be a shadow government behind her who approve all of her speeches and policies. She may also have been brainwashed by a cult in her twenties, the cult leader is in the shadow government, of course.

They are trying to palm it off as leaked documents but it goes a lot deeper apparently. I think she will have to resign.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?
    President Park has made a public apology because there seems to be a shadow government behind her who approve all of her speeches and policies. She may also have been brainwashed by a cult in her twenties, the cult leader is in the shadow government, of course.

They are trying to palm it off as leaked documents but it goes a lot deeper apparently. I think she will have to resign.
    Is there a bloke with a white cat involved? *g
  • Options
    The BBC story has additional data. An educated lesbian in South Carolina for Trump, and a tie in Florida.

The RCP average should be updated.
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

8 women, apparently. They have had journalists, politicians and ordinary people locked up if any mention of their existence is made to the media. The probably have cats.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

Seems to be just that a friend called Choi Soon-sil has too much influence and access. At first glance it reminded me more of Alastair Campbell.
  • Options
    Clinton live on Fox

spin baby spin
  • Options
    summary - nothing to see here
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

8 women, apparently. They have had journalists, politicians and ordinary people locked up if any mention of their existence is made to the media. The probably have cats.
    Ok, it gets weirder... :)
  • Options
    The Asian sex grooming scandal in Rotherham continues: Now a court has given lifetime anonymity to four men who preyed on a vulnerable girl for years. What IS going on?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3884026/The-Asian-sex-grooming-scandal-Rotherham-continues-court-given-lifetime-anonymity-four-men-preyed-vulnerable-girl-years-going-on.html
  • Options
    She is looking a tad uncomfortable.

FFS - he couldn't snatch this could he......

Disclaimer I made a bet with my wife and one of my sons yesterday that Trump will never be president...... I will never live it down.....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

Seems to be just that a friend called Choi Soon-sil has too much influence and access. At first glance it reminded me more of Alastair Campbell.
    Or Carole Caplin and her showers with Cherie Blair.
  • Options
    Hillary: "We've heard these rumours. We don't know what the FBI is talking about. It's incumbent upon them to tell us the facts."
  • Options
    Very quick appearance and off she goes
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Floater said:

Disclaimer I made a bet with my wife and one of my sons yesterday that Trump will never be president...... I will never live it down.....

Why did you make such a prediction when Trump is only 4-5% behind in the polls?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Hillary: "We've heard these rumours. We don't know what the FBI is talking about. It's incumbent upon them to tell us the facts."

Be careful what you wish for...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

Or Carole Caplin and her showers with Cherie Blair.
    I dont know whether to be intrigued or appalled :-)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:

Because I couldn't see him winning perhaps?
  • Options
    Seems Donald likes the FBI now.... what changed his mind :-)

Mind you that hashtag "crooked Hilary" is going to get a real work out for next 48 hours
  • Options
    I think DNC and RNC should reopen nominations....350 million people and they got a giant racist douche and a lying turd sandwich to choose from.
  • Options
    Emily shouldn't worry about her phone bill - doubtless the BBC (i.e. you and me) will be picking up the tab.
  • Options

I think DNC and RNC should reopen nominations....350 million people and they got a giant racist douche and a lying turd sandwich to choose from.

Perhaps the 'natural born citizen' requirement is the problem?

We could have Arnie vs Arianna Huffington instead.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

The Park-Choi affair - sounds quite tasty...
    :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

What max?

The Park-Choi affair - sounds quite tasty...
    :-)
    That's very good. Have a "Like".
  • Options
    Oh well - it's off to bed. No doubt when I wake up Bangladesh will be 120-3 and things will be back to Normal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

All that might well be true, but if nothing is determined before the election, which seems entirely possible, this has at least some potential to bolster the flagging Trump campaign.
    Disturbing.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:

Because 4 to 5% is a statistically significant winning margin.

https://xkcd.com/1131/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Indeed. To think how much better it could have been had the nominees been Cruz v Sanders.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Someone sent me a link to a petition calling on Clinton to be replaced as the Democratic candidate, but it's had very few signatures:

https://www.change.org/p/democratic-national-committee-hillary-clinton-must-be-replaced-as-the-democratic-nominee-for-president
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    AndyJS said:

Floater said:

It's nowhere near as daft as it sounds. Although Hillary has never had a big lead against Trump since the polls settled down last autumn, she's hardly ever dropped below 44% and he's hardly ever risen above it. He has a low ceiling and given his favourable scores with big demographics, seems unlikely to break through it. FWIW, despite today's story, I'd still hold on to those pieces of data. Even so, she only needs one bad day if it's the wrong bad day ...
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2016
    I'm home - hopefully TSE hasn't enjoyed his men beating Spurs kids in the Worthington Littlewoods Carling Cup too much in my absence.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    OK, quick check

If you think this is a flash-in-the-pan and Clinton will be back in the lead next week, lay Trump/bet Clinton now in expectation of Trumps odds going further out next week

If you think this is a real thing and Trump will be in the lead next week, bet Trump/lay Clinton now in expectation of Trumps odds coming further in next week

Have I got this right?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Floater said:

Because 4 to 5% is a statistically significant winning margin.

https://xkcd.com/1131/
    4-5% doesn't take account of Events, Dear Boy, Events.
  • Options
    The Economist is becoming very predictable these days — they've got a story on how Canada is the last bastion of liberal values:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21709291-why-canada-still-ease-openness-last-liberals
  • Options

Indeed. To think how much better it could have been had the nominees been Cruz v Sanders.
    I hope, for the sake of all Americans everywhere, that the US is not a meritocracy. 'Cos if it is, ...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2016
    AndyJS said:

The Economist is becoming very predictable these days — they've got a story on how Canada is the last bastion of liberal values:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21709291-why-canada-still-ease-openness-last-liberals

Some sections of the media are go more loopy for their dunce of a PM (regardless of politics the man ain't very bright) than when Obama got elected in the US.

I understood the initial Obamarama worship. First black president, bright guy, all hopey and changey stuff, following Bush Jnr...

But Trudeau, don't get it. He reminds me of those hipsters trying to flog £5 a bowl cereal in London. Trying so so so hard to be cool, but not a lot going on upstairs.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Some sections of the media are go more loopy for their dunce of a PM (regardless of politics the man ain't very bright) than when Obama got elected in the US.
    Has Justin Trudeau won the Peace Prize yet?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The way some sections of the media bang on about him, I am surprised they haven't launched a campaign to get him one.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Stupidly I didn't bet on HRC getting 300-329 EVs at 5-1 because I thought the odds will continue to increase. Today the odds are in to 100-30. D'oh!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Better? Different, certainly. I do like Sanders, but as president of the USA? That would be quite something. As for Cruz, he's a religious nut.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The way some sections of the media bang on about him, I am surprised they haven't launched a campaign to get him one.
    Instead of these spurious awards they should add a section to the Oscars for politicians.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Some of the newspapers here - now that Weiner is involved in the email scandal - are referring to the whole thing as Dickileaks. The NY Post had a headline 'Stroking Gun'.

What's the German for schadenfreude? :smile:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The reason they like him is because he finally defeated the Tories after 3 terms in power.
This discussion has been closed.