Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More polling showing that the Tories have nothing to fear from

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » More polling showing that the Tories have nothing to fear from LAB or its leader

Its not been a good day for Theresa May. The decision on Article 50, if upheld by the Supreme Court next month, completely undermines her strategy for dealing with EU extraction. She’s going to find it much harder to follow her Home Office practice of keeping things very much to her close advisors without involving other people.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I suspect Mrs May will do a Gordon Brown and bottle it.
  • Options
    Will Labour be frit?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.125855759

Democrats at 33-1 and 39-1 for you on Betfair (I think its a horrible bet personally)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Glorious sixth!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Which surprise policy announcement from Corbyn will swing the polls? :)
  • Options
    Just noticed this:
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects Oct 30
    % of UK voters who'd consider voting for (X):
    CON: 39%
    LAB: 31%
    LDEM: 21%
    GRN: 18%
    UKIP: 18%
    SNP: 6%
    PC: 3%
    [Unsure]: 11%
    (via YouGov)

Good for LibDem and Green.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    But really, how much internal party pressure is Theresa May under? I'd heard her election to leader got a significant amount of backing from MPs on the specific understanding that she wouldn't go for an early election.
  • Options
    Point of order, did anyone actually say during the referendum that they was about bringing sovreignty back to Parliament in particular? :p
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    An election would go a long way to purging parliament of it's vast over-representation of Remainers.

• Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

That's quite astonishing. You'd have to assume a large part of the Green vote is there for the taking by the Lib Dems in a national election.
  • Options

Owls?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Point of order, did anyone actually say during the referendum that they was about bringing sovreignty back to Parliament in particular? :p

Hannan, in between okaying ads about immigration. In private meetings.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Democrats at 33-1 and 39-1 for you on Betfair (I think its a horrible bet personally)
    Cheers, I've been asked to come up with a long shot bet.

And I went for Arkansas on the basis of the GOP voters not turning out, and the fact the Clintons were popular in the State.

AA population too.

Last Dem to carry Arkansas was a Clinton
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2016
    you say 'ever never' I say 'never ever' - lets call the whole thing off... :lol:
  • Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

That's quite astonishing. You'd have to assume a large part of the Green vote is there for the taking by the Lib Dems in a national election.
    Challenging Labour for 2nd?
  • Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Changes? Last poll?
  • Options

But really, how much internal party pressure is Theresa May under? I'd heard her election to leader got a significant amount of backing from MPs on the specific understanding that she wouldn't go for an early election.

What would any of the MPs have to fear from an election at the moment ?

Kevin for one would completely romp home.
  • Options

True, McDonnell and Corbyn are no Osborne & Cameron.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

Yer man, BoZo

https://www.headoflegal.com/2016/03/07/what-boris-told-us-about-the-sovereignty-plan/
  • Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Changes? Last poll?
    Note it's a non-standard VI question.
  • Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Challenging Labour for 2nd?
    Forget my comment - I misinterpreted the numbers.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, May's done nothing to encourage speculation of an early election.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Changes? Last poll?
    That's not much more than 100% which intrigues me. I would have though that plenty of people would have two possibles, whether for locals/Euros/national elections, some three or even four.
  • Options
    F1: as expected, Stroll will be Bottas' team mate at Williams next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37860557
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Yer man, BoZo

https://www.headoflegal.com/2016/03/07/what-boris-told-us-about-the-sovereignty-plan/
    Gawd, him and his big gob.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Will Labour be frit?

They have good reason to be at the moment ! I would expect them to do everything to block it.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Adds upto 147%
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Looking at the pictures in those tweets, I could not help but envisage OGH with Brian Blessed's hair and beard.

Now, if only I was any good with Photoshop ...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Adds up to 147%
    Good spot, it shows that on average a voter would "consider" roughly 1.47 parties.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Adds upto 147%
    Because people would consider voting for more than one party.. swing voters.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    If the appeal fails, call a motion in the House of Commons giving the government the authority to trigger article 50 'sometime in the next 12 Months'
    Make it a three line whip and a motion of confidence, if it fails someone else has 7 days to form a new government, which they won't be able to do and there is a second vote, if that fails there is a General Election probably in April 2017.
    Labour under Corbyn will lose 40 seats, the SNP will also lose some, UKIP will only stand against remaindermen.
    There might be a small number of gains for the Lib/Dems but there will be a large Tory majority with some remaindermen gone.
    Brexit will be in the manifesto and as a bill in the first Queens speech, the government will ask again for authority to trigger article 50 and then it's bye bye EU.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

If the appeal fails, call a motion in the House of Commons giving the government the authority to trigger article 50 'sometime in the next 12 Months'
    Make it a three line whip and a motion of confidence, if it fails someone else has 7 days to form a new government, which they won't be able to do and there is a second vote, if that fails there is a General Election probably in April 2017.
    Labour under Corbyn will lose 40 seats, the SNP will also lose some, UKIP will only stand against remaindermen.
    There might be a small number of gains for the Lib/Dems but there will be a large Tory majority with some remaindermen gone.
    Brexit will be in the manifesto and as a bill in the first Queens speech, the government will ask again for authority to trigger article 50 and then it's bye bye EU.

It can't be a motion, it has to be a bill, which means going through all the hoops.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/794220149398208512

Mike Smithson
    @MSmithsonPB

Can the moaning leavers tell us which other of our statutory rights the PM should be able to abolish without going through parliament?

The ones on which a specific referendum has been held.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Pulpstar said:

And I went for Arkansas on the basis of the GOP voters not turning out, and the fact the Clintons were popular in the State.

AA population too.

Trump will win Arkansas easily, along with West Virginia, Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee, which were all carried twice by Clinton.

I'd try Alaska as a long shot. Trump will very likely win, but his popularity lags way behind the incumbent Senator.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Voters could be forgiven for looking at today and concluding the only way to get Brexit is to vote UKIP.

And that is dangerous for some major parties, methinks.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

RobD said:

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

Changes? Last poll?
    That's not much more than 100% which intrigues me. I would have though that plenty of people would have two possibles, whether for locals/Euros/national elections, some three or even four.
    But it doesn't tell you how many said 'no-one'!
  • Options

Mike Smithson
    @MSmithsonPB

Can the moaning leavers tell us which other of our statutory rights the PM should be able to abolish without going through parliament?

None of the specific terms of Brexit or our current EU membership have been put to a referendum.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

I think I'd put your Clinton wins Arkansas bet down as "not close and no cigar" .... :smile:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

Mike Smithson
    @MSmithsonPB

Even if it is clear in the legislation for the referendum that it is not legally binding?
  • Options
    O/T
    A fairly shocking dip in the spreads for Hillary over the past hour with her price now at 285 - 295, down 7 ECVs. Trump's spread has risen correspondingly to 241 - 251.
    Therefore at their respective mid-spread points they are now just 44 ECVs apart (290 vs 246). At this rate, with 5 days to go before the election next Tuesday, it appears possible that the Donald will be America's next President. Something which was unthinkable just one week ago.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Voters could be forgiven for looking at today and concluding the only way to get Brexit is to vote UKIP.

It's as dangerous for ardent Leavers to assume that people's GE vote will be motivated by their opinion of Brexit as it is for Remainers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Brexiteers don't do logic. That's a discipline for experts
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Judiciary in tying things up in yards of red tape NON SHOCK. Sigh.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

I think I'd put your Clinton wins Arkansas bet down as "not close and no cigar" .... :smile:
    I did not have financial relations with that wager!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

Alaska is a better long shot for her only one two thirds white.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DeClare said:

On the basis of today's YouGov Labour would lose circa 30seats. On balance I would expect the Tory lead to narrow in a campaign.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

O/T
    A fairly shocking dip in the spreads for Hillary over the past hour with her price now at 285 - 295, down 7 ECVs. Trump's spread has risen correspondingly to 241 - 251.
    Therefore at their respective mid-spread points they are now just 44 ECVs apart (290 vs 246). At this rate, with 5 days to go before the election next Tuesday, it appears possible that the Donald will be America's next President. Something which was unthinkable just one week ago.

I don't know how people have the courage to engage in spread betting. What I've read about it on here is enough to frighten me!
  • Options
    Nice, if self-aggrandising, chart showing the different models out there:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794220355132989441
  • Options

At this rate, with 5 days to go before the election next Tuesday, it appears possible that the Donald will be America's next President. Something which was unthinkable just one week ago.

He's a fighter not a quitter. When you look back to his position before the second debate when most of the Republican party and the media turned on him, to be where he is now is incredible.
  • Options

O/T

Any day that does not reveal a new FBI investigation, must surely be a good day for Clinton!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What would any of the MPs have to fear from an election at the moment ?

Kevin for one would completely romp home.
    On the contrary, with boundary changes deferred yet again, they could then look forward to a fresh full 5 year term in the HoC.
  • Options

O/T

Unthinkable to buyers of Hillary on the spreads most certainly !
  • Options
    As if by magic for TSE ...

Arkansas - Uni of Arkansas - Sample 585 - 18-27 Oct

Clinton 31 .. Trump 51

https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/political-science/partners/arkpoll/2016/2016-Arkansas-Poll-summary-report.pdf
  • Options

Just noticed this:
    (via YouGov)

More accurately there must be potential for significant Green/LD/Lab tactical voting.
  • Options

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

I did not have financial relations with that wager!
    Chortle .... :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2016
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

That's what they all said when I backed Clinton to win Texas at 16/1

Now she's as low as 11/2
  • Options

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

That's what they said when I backed Clinton to win Texas at 16/1

Now she's as low as 11/2
    11-2 looks to me like the muggiest punt since muggers saw Muggy McMugface at the Mucksville Muck fayre.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

Trump will win Arkansas easily, along with West Virginia, Louisiana, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee, which were all carried twice by Clinton.

I'd try Alaska as a long shot. Trump will very likely win, but his popularity lags way behind the incumbent Senator.
    Snap!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

O/T

I don't know how people have the courage to engage in spread betting. What I've read about it on here is enough to frighten me!
    I have bought HC at 295 but only for 50p.

The stop/loss is 200, so maximal loss of £100. It is pretty highly geared.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

AA population too.

Snap!
    I have a small wager on Alaska falling to Dems.
  • Options
    JackW said:

As if by magic for TSE ...

Arkansas - Uni of Arkansas - Sample 585 - 18-27 Oct

Clinton 31 .. Trump 51

https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/political-science/partners/arkpoll/2016/2016-Arkansas-Poll-summary-report.pdf

Clearly a rogue poll :lol:
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The Labour tactic is to delay things as much as possible, argue and put up amendments, then complain that the final bill is unacceptable to the British people so they're reluctantly having to vote against.

That will give the Labour MPs the ability to go to their constituents and say ... "We wanted to vote Yes, but look at subsection (b) - it would be terrible for this constituency. That's the only reason I voted No."

It's playtime politics ... "Those awful Tories made me do it."

• Options

AnneJGP said:

O/T

How did you get the stop/loss in there ?
  • Options
    Meanwhile at Holyrood...

@BBCPhilipSim: So the headline is, council tax bands E-H are going up. The sub-plot is that govt had to vote for order noting "regret" at their strategy...

After the defeat yesterday too
  • Options

Nice, if self-aggrandising, chart showing the different models out there:

twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/794220355132989441

I assume there's some basis for their locations?
  • Options
    National Tracker - Times-Picayune/Lucid - Sample 1,200 - 31 Oct - 2 Nov

Clinton 44 .. Trump 39

https://luc.id/2016-presidential-tracker/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile at Holyrood...

@BBCPhilipSim: So the headline is, council tax bands E-H are going up. The sub-plot is that govt had to vote for order noting "regret" at their strategy...

Aren't council tax rates set on a council by council basis ?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    It's playtime politics ... "Those awful Tories made me do it."

When it looked as though the leave cause was lost in the early summer, I thought well I'll just have to vote UKIP in future if Brexit's what I really want.

Looking at today, I'm starting to think the same again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Meanwhile at Holyrood...

titters :D
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

O/T

Eh?? Your maximum stop loss is surely 50p x (295 - 200) = £47.50.
    I'm amazed that Sporting took your bet for 50p per ECV!
  • Options
    You know it could be a really boring election night.

All the "known" states called within a minute or so (Including New Hampshire)

Some minor excitement as Iowa, North Carolina and Ohio all swap sides. But otherwise nothing but Hillary celebrating and Trump crying into his beer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Some minor excitement as Iowa, North Carolina and Ohio all swap sides. But otherwise nothing but Hillary celebrating and Trump crying into his beer.

I will take that from a financial standpoint. Dem <53 in the Senate too please.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AnneJGP said:

O/T

How did you get the stop/loss in there ?
    It came up in the betting slip on Sporting Index. So the maximum loss is the free bet that they give to new accounts.
  • Options
    Utah - Monmouth - Sample 402 - 30 Oct - 2 Nov

Clinton 31 .. Trump 37 .. McMullin 24

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_UT_110316/

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Control of the Senate, OTOH, really is a coin toss (though the Democrats have the edge, thanks to the casting vote.)
  • Options
    edited November 2016

AnneJGP said:

O/T

Eh?? Your maximum stop loss is surely 50p x (295 - 200) = £47.50.
    I'm amazed that Sporting took your bet for 50p per ECV!
    I understood it to be that the bottom would be 95 EV and top 495 EV; but it is a new venture for me.

Here's hoping for a Hillary landslide!
  • Options
    Quick Update on the Young Prince.

RCS is out of surgery and looking very sorry for himself. I don't think he will be doing any typing for a week or so judging by the bandages.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I think Clinton taking Utah by slipping tbrough the middle is a reasonable longshot punt too.
  • Options
    @AndrewDuffEU: @JenniferMerode I guess @MargSchinas was being polite. I doubt that the UK Supreme Court can avoid a reference to the CJEU on Article 50.

@AndrewDuffEU: @JenniferMerode Supreme Court will have no option. Article 267 says it "shall bring the matter before the Court (of Justice)".

popcorn!
  • Options
    JackW said:

The 8-11 on offer at Ladbrokes looks absolubtely massive on the GOP here to me.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@AndrewDuffEU: @JenniferMerode I guess @MargSchinas was being polite. I doubt that the UK Supreme Court can avoid a reference to the CJEU on Article 50.

@AndrewDuffEU: @JenniferMerode Supreme Court will have no option. Article 267 says it "shall bring the matter before the Court (of Justice)".

popcorn!

Would the government take it to the ECJ, even if they could?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

taffys said:

It's as dangerous for ardent Leavers to assume that people's GE vote will be motivated by their opinion of Brexit as it is for Remainers.
    There is a precedent in Scotland.

I think we can reasonably assume that many Leavers will not be lending their vote to Remain MPs, especially in clear Leave voting constituencies.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, unfamiliar with the situation, but hope he recovers quickly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I read that as they have no choice but to.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Probably would help if I knew what Article 267 was... :D
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It is amusing to see Eurofanatics who, for more than 40 years have argued in favour of the subverting of Parliamentary Sovereignty by the EEC/EU, suddenly discovering how vital it is to this country. Utter hypocrites.
  • Options
    ''I read that as they have no choice but to. ''

Its sounding more as if the remainer assurance that we always had sovereignty, that we simply had to invoke article 50 to leave, is another complete fabrication.
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, unfamiliar with the situation, but hope he recovers quickly.

Young Mr Smithson. Just had surgery on his arm/hand. We are friends on FB so I got to see his post-op scowl. :-)
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I read that as they have no choice but to. ''

Its sounding more as if the remainer assurance that we always had sovereignty, that we simply had to invoke article 50 to leave, is another complete fabrication.

Well, we do have sovereignty.. it's just in Parliament, not in the Crown.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

If it a question of:

"(a) the interpretation of the Treaties;

(b) the validity and interpretation of acts of the institutions, bodies, offices or agencies of the Union"

Then the Court must refer.

If the interpretation of Article 50 is at stake, it must be referred. But I'm far from clear it is.
  • Options
    Hannibal wouldn't've had this palaver. The day after the vote (or possibly several months beforehand) he would've led an army of men, horses and elephants through the Channel Tunnel to devastate the oblivious eurocrats.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

If it a question of:

(b) the validity and interpretation of acts of the institutions, bodies, offices or agencies of the Union"

If the interpretation of Article 50 is at stake, it must be referred. But I'm far from clear it is.
    Oh, why would an Article of the EU treaty force the government to appeal to the ECJ?
  • Options
    On this day in 1534 - The English Parliament passed the first Act of Supremacy, making King Henry VIII head of the Anglican Church, supplanting the pope and the Roman Catholic Church.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It is amusing to see Eurofanatics who, for more than 40 years have argued in favour of the subverting of Parliamentary Sovereignty by the EEC/EU, suddenly discovering how vital it is to this country. Utter hypocrites.
    A ruling caste will rarely surrender power willingly.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Quick Update on the Young Prince.

RCS is out of surgery and looking very sorry for himself. I don't think he will be doing any typing for a week or so judging by the bandages.

All best wishes to him & his family.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

If it a question of:

Oh, why would an Article of the EU treaty force the government to appeal to the ECJ?
    That would make sense if the question of whether or not it was irreversible were at stake, but both parties seem happy to concede that it is. For now at least.
This discussion has been closed.