Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Netflix series “The Crown” is a must watch for political j

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Netflix series “The Crown” is a must watch for political junkies

For the past few days I’ve watched all ten parts of the “The Crown” – the compelling big budget series from Netflix which centres on the life of the Queen. One you’ve watched the opening minutes of episode one you become hooked and I can heartily recommend it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    Second! And seconded!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

First ..... again!

You win this round, sir!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    If you get a chance, check out the Sky News report on Muirfield. I'd be annoyed if I was a member and was forced to vote on this issue again. But there's a hilarious moment in the report when a member says that he'll with it (if vote is to allow women members) and that it's not nearly as bad as what Mrs Sturgeon is doing to Scotland!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If you get a chance, check out the Sky News report on Muirfield. I'd be annoyed if I was a member and was forced to vote on this issue again. But there's a hilarious moment in the report when a member says that he'll with it (if vote is to allow women members) and that it's not nearly as bad as what Mrs Sturgeon is doing to Scotland!

Ah, the EU approach to referendums - if you don't like the first result, ask again!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Ah, the EU approach to referendums - if you don't like the first result, ask again!
    I wonder who will be the first remainer to link the two and claim a second referendum is now absolutely necessary following a changed Muirfield vote. I would have money on Sturgeon and Ken though Clegg will o doubt run very close for the honour.
  • Options
    Leavers seem irked by my raising the £350 million a week for the NHS in the context of front page news about health crises. The trouble is that if you make preposterous promises, people have a habit of remembering them.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Leavers seem irked by my raising the £350 million a week for the NHS in the context of front page news about health crises. The trouble is that if you make preposterous promises, people have a habit of remembering them.

I don't think they were irked they merely pointed out that "We haven't left yet"

Mind you everyone is still waiting for the instant disasters prophesied by project fear for Day 1 after a leave vote. They are also remembered though rarely if ever mentioned now by Remainers following positive news including comments of Mervyn King.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

I don't think they were irked they merely pointed out that "We haven't left yet"

Mind you everyone is still waiting for the instant disasters prophesied by project fear for Day 1 after a leave vote. They are also remembered though rarely if ever mentioned now by Remainers
    I think you'll find that preposterous promises will be remembered unfairly by those that believed them. You can fool some of the people but they aren't going to be impressed by excuses. Genies are expected to deliver the three wishes pronto.
  • Options

It does raise the important question of why we are spending money on aid for EU countries when our own hospitals are infested with vermin.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Morning. If your suggestion is that we immediately stop paying into the EU budget and divert the funds to the NHS this winter, then I'm sure you will find strong support for it.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Moses_ said:

Mind you everyone is still waiting for the instant disasters prophesied by project fear for Day 1 after a leave vote. They are also remembered though rarely if ever mentioned now by Remainers following positive news including comments of Mervyn King.
    Remainers will have an easy life for at least 10 years. At the moment, it's 'we haven't triggered art 50 yet'. Then, when more good news comes it'll be 'we're still part of the EU'. Then after the 2 year negotiations are completed, it'll be 'we haven't seen the long term impact of Brexit yet'. Finally, after about 10 years it'll be 'we'll we would have been sooo much stronger if we hadn't left' despite a strong performance of UK plc for the previous decade. All this whilst the rump EU crashes and burns :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Moses_ said:

Mind you everyone is still waiting for the instant disasters prophesied by project fear for Day 1 after a leave vote. They are also remembered though rarely if ever mentioned now by Remainers
    I think you'll find that preposterous promises will be remembered unfairly by those that believed them. You can fool some of the people but they aren't going to be impressed by excuses. Genies are expected to deliver the three wishes pronto.
    You don't seem to wish to grasp the very basics of this which is not surprising.

We haven't left yet... I will repeat that "We haven't left yet."

As such we are duty bound to contribute to the EU system Ponzi scheme until we do. A basic principle you seem to forget or at least ignore simply to make a point.

Delays for this are caused by Remainers using every tiny excuse or even legal challenge available to prevent this. Until these challenges stop and the democratic will is recognised then nothing stated can be delivered so we won't know will we? Claiming non delivery when you are the very people preventing it is totally hypocritical to say the least.

No mention of project fear again then either? How unsurprising?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

You don't seem to wish to grasp the very basics of this which is not surprising.

As such we are duty bound to contribute to the EU system Ponzi scheme until we do. A basic principle you seem to forget or at least ignore simply to make a point.

Delays for this are caused by Remainers using every tiny excuse or even legal challenge available to prevent this. Until these challenges stop and the democratic will is recognised then nothing stated can be delivered so we won't know will we? Claiming non delivery when you are the very people preventing it is totally hypocritical to say the least.

The basics of this are that Leave told a straight lie with forward effects. If you're telling me that rubbing the magic lamp isn't going to make my wishes come true for many years after you promised me that my wish would come true, I'm more likely to throw the lamp away than release the genie.
  • Options
    RobD - 7.41am It does raise the important question of why we are spending money on aid for EU countries when our own hospitals are infested with vermin.

To say nothing of lefties.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

The basics of this are that Leave told a straight lie with forward effects. If you're telling me that rubbing the magic lamp isn't going to make my wishes come true for many years after you promised me that my wish would come true, I'm more likely to throw the lamp away than release the genie.
    We get it. Leave hacked the referendum.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

It is pointless even discussing this with you as you just wilfully refuse to accept any point but your own, refuse to accept the Remains lies in Project fear which also have not yet happened and that amongst other things ......in a nutshell .......is why people voted en mass to leave.

You want the genie to produce while you keep a cork in the spout. Well done!! this is taking utter hypocrisy to a whole new level.

Good day sir.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    Enjoyed it at first but Found it a bit repetitive after awhile, and didn't make it all the way through.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning. If your suggestion is that we immediately stop paying into the EU budget and divert the funds to the NHS this winter, then I'm sure you will find strong support for it.
    Is Mr Meeks suggesting that?

I think we should be told!
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Not at all. Leave won. But they won in a given way that limits them too. By Leave pandering to xenophobia and by making up nonsense figures about how the NHS would get £350 million a week, the manner of their victory will have consequences that many Leavers do not desire for many years to come.
  • Options
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited December 2016

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Not at all. Leave won. But they won in a given way that limits them too. By Leave pandering to xenophobia and by making up nonsense figures about how the NHS would get £350 million a week, the manner of their victory will have consequences that many Leavers do not desire for many years to come.
    Why should the government be held to promises made by a campaign many of them opposed? Are you suggesting governments ALWAYS fulfil ALL their manifesto commitments?

You seem to have lost all perspective or grasp of nuance....the world is shades of grey, not black & white....
  • Options
    The normally astute Mr Meeks keeps raising the subject of '£350M/week for the NHS'. £150M (the nett rather than gross cost of the EU) would have been a better sum, to reduce the predictable whinging. We were selling the sizzle, not the sausage, so the precise size of X in the strap-line of '£XM for...' was immaterial.

Because the country post-EU membership, will be able to spend the gross contribution on anything the govt chooses, it is not a totally specious amount.

There are two big points to remember. Very few voted Leave because of NHS funding. And without the assination of Jo Cox, a much bigger margin for out would have resulted. That also would have had a positive effect on the current level of whining.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

It is pointless even discussing this with you as you just wilfully refuse to accept any point but your own, refuse to accept the Remains lies in Project fear which also have not yet happened and that amongst other things ......in a nutshell .......is why people voted en mass to leave.

You want the genie to produce while you keep a cork in the spout. Well done!! this is taking utter hypocrisy to a whole new level.

Good day sir.
    I will laugh so hard if the first Budget after we Leave actually does put £350m per week extra into the NHS...
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

I wonder who will be the first remainer to link the two and claim a second referendum is now absolutely necessary following a changed Muirfield vote. I would have money on Sturgeon and Ken though Clegg will o doubt run very close for the honour.
    Surely everyone would agree that anyone who made such a fatuous connection would be an idiot?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2016
    Three quidder

save your laughter lines, it aint gonna happen.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Good day sir.
    I will laugh so hard if the first Budget after we Leave actually does put £350m per week extra into the NHS...
    I think it's been discussed on here before. You could easily package it as a £70mn/week increase per year for the length of a parliament.
  • Options
    @Theuniondivvie just had the unpleasant misfortune of clicking on your avatar.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

You jest but that's already been suggested .......except it was the Russians. No smear to great by the looks?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russian-interference-brexit-highly-probable-referendum-hacking-putin-a7472706.html
  • Options
    Moses [7.56am] "people voted en mass to leave". The vote was 17:16. Is that "en mass"? Maybe - it sure ain't en masse...
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, North Sea oil isn't coming back so there isn't the slightest justification for Barnett, just take the missing money for the £350 million pledge for the NHS England from that...
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Netflix? When I were a lad our TV were broke. We had to light a candle and make shadow puppets to re-enact the programmes we watched through a shop window, in the rain.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I think .

Good day sir.
    It will have to deliver the fabled £350 million, partly as the voters of Leave are the ones most dependent on the NHS, and partly because the NHS is facing a grim future without substantial investment.

While the free marketeers would regard the collapse of the NHS to be a BOGOF special for Brexit, the voters are not likely to see it the same.

That bus slogan has the potential to be the #Edstone for the next election, though helpfully concise.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Good day sir.
    I think it’s difficult to make a case that people voted 'en mass'...... by implication overwhelmingly ....... for Leave.
    However, I would agree that the Project Fear campaign was overegging the pudding. It was one of the worst campaigns, by both sides that I can recall. And I’ve been watching, or involved with, election campaigns for a very long time.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/814564127230271489

Twitter doesn't really allow nuanced diplomacy does it?
  • Options

That bus slogan has the potential to be the #Edstone for the next election, though helpfully concise.

I think May has a good enough excuse.
  • Options

twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/814564127230271489

They should have really used the word "sad" :D
  • Options

Moses [7.56am] "people voted en mass to leave". The vote was 17:16. Is that "en mass"? Maybe - it sure ain't en masse...

Ok hands up, you got me bang to rights I was trolling .... :smirk:

I should have more correctly referred to it as a democratic majority .... My bad.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Ok hands up, you got me bang to rights I was trolling .... :smirk:

I should have more correctly referred to it as a democratic majority .... My bad.
    They did vote to Leave en masse, 17.4 million of them. Unfortunately, the Remain side also voted en masse. :p
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I think .

Good day sir.
    Who do you see as campaigning against more money for the NHS?
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, no, it doesn't.

Neither the previous nor incumbent Conservative leader supported the Leave side, let alone the specific campaign upon whose bus that slogan appeared.

Miliband stood next to the Stone of Doom as it was unveiled and prognosticated on carving (rather bland) promises into limestone to show how serious he was.
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, no, it doesn't.

Neither the previous nor incumbent Conservative leader supported the Leave side, let alone the specific campaign upon whose bus that slogan appeared.

Miliband stood next to the Stone of Doom as it was unveiled and prognosticated on carving (rather bland) promises into limestone to show how serious he was.

The more the Leavers squeal about it the better. They are going to see a lot of it over the next 4 years.

That Bus Slogan will feature heavily in the next election, it would be wise for the Tories to neutralise it before it becomes part of Jezzas Red Brexit programme.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    edited December 2016

Why should the government be held to promises made by a campaign many of them opposed? Are you suggesting governments ALWAYS fulfil ALL their manifesto commitments?

Well exactly. It's insane, frankly. Even if the darkest interpretation of the public motivation behind its vote is correct, all that means is the government would be well advised to try to address or mollify that somehow, but they are free to take the actions they think best for the country and take the political consequences if they fail to convince us it meets our desires. Manifesto commitments are not legally enforceable, and the campaigns, not being homogenous party bodies, had suggestions not even that powerful as a promise.

The leave campaign overdid it in many ways, and yes I said so at the time as well. It is true that this government cannot deliver all that campaign suggested or promised. But that's part of the point. There will be disappointment for the most believing and naive anyway, they're not obliged to even attempt some things if they think they would be destructive, it's a question of what would hurt them most democratically if they don't try them. It's why future elections will be heavily influenced by post Brexit plans being different. It's supremely idiotic to think single courses of action must be taken because of what the leave campaign said. Why even have any more elections, apparently our entire government programme is set in stone now?

I don't think 'you know, there might be political costs to not addressing public concerns as interpreted by the referendum campaign' is as stunning and unique an insight as portrayed. No kidding. It doesn't mean things must happen, only indicates potential costs if they don't, but of course we the public can be convinced some trades are worth it, ence why u turns and failed commitments don't usually break governments. Scale and frequency key.
  • Options
    "However, I would agree that the Project Fear campaign was overegging the pudding. It was one of the worst campaigns, by both sides that I can recall. And I’ve been watching, or involved with, election campaigns for a very long time."

I would agree fully with that. ( I was trolling Meeks to be fair but he deserved it)

Both sides were as you say " over egging" but only one side seems to be held to account by certain people on a daily basis without reference to the multitude of prophesies from day 1 that have failed to happen.

Your more open and balanced view makes much more sense and of course starts to provide a way forward into what are the undoubted challenges that lie ahead.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, squeal?

*sighs*

It wasn't spoken, endorsed or supported in any way by either the then Prime Minister or the current Prime Minister. That's a pretty clear line of reasoning why it won't affect (or shouldn't, at least) May.

I'm not enthused by May, but this is not a legitimate line of attack.

I also remember similar 'squeal' comments following Obama's killer blow for Leave, or Leave supporters being 'over-sensitive' about Cameron's clever Little Englander line. It's not squealing to point out why I think you're mistaken about something.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2016
    kle4 said:

I don't think 'you know, there might be political costs to not addressing public concerns as interpreted by the referendum campaign' is as stunning and unique an insight as portrayed. No kidding.

It's neither a stunning nor unique insight. What's fascinating is how desperate many Leavers are to suggest that the campaign was just a mild suggestion about everything other than the bare fact of leaving.

The Leave campaign was won by making the white folks angry and by splashing the cash around with preposterous promises. That now has to be delivered on. That ugly reality is one that far too many Leavers are frantic to deny that they participated in creating.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited December 2016

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Good day sir.
    Over the course of the Parliament it's something like a 2% real terms annual increase. It shouldn't be too difficult to find. And as you say, massively symbolic for the govt the year before a 2020 election.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

I think .

Good day sir.
    It will have to deliver the fabled £350 million, partly as the voters of Leave are the ones most dependent on the NHS, and partly because the NHS is facing a grim future without substantial investment.
    Still?

The difference, of course, is that Leave will not be standing in the next general election...
  • Options
    The feeling[over Thatcher's resignation] was even more acute in Moscow. The Soviet ambassador handed over a personal message to “Margaret” from Mikhail Gorbachev saying there had been “consternation” at the turn of events: “Gorbachev had sent Shevardnadze [his foreign minister] out of a high level meeting in the Kremlin to telephone him, to find out what on earth was going on and how such a thing could be conceivable,” recorded Powell.

“The ambassador said that he had indeed found it very hard to explain. Indeed, there was a certain irony. Five years ago they had party coups in the Soviet Union and elections in Britain. Now it seemed to be the other way round.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/30/margaret-thatcher-resignation-shocked-us-ussr-files
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Alastair, the time to raise the argument about £350m for the NHS being a lie was during the referendum campaign.

What's that - you did? But you weren't believed? Now why would that be I wonder. Nothing to do with the rest of the Remain campaign being bogged down in lies and hyperbole of its own I'm sure.

We get it. Your Beautiful People and their Beautiful Minds lost out to a bunch scuzzy old thickoes with expanded waistlines and narrow minds. We've been getting that since June. Every conceivable opportunity to stick your hand-made loafers into the underbelly of the Leave voters has been taken. We get it. You're in pain yourself, so it' OK for you to lash out. No, you couldn't make a convincing argument at the time, because these Leavers were just too damn impervious to your perfectly crafted logic, too stupid to see nuance, too hate filled to see your carpet-bombing was just love-bombing, honestly. Therefore you have a burning need to keep re-running the Referendum in perpetuity. In homage to the way your beloved EU treats democracy. Re-run it often enough, and they'll get it right one day. Except, no, they won't. Because they're thickoes. As you keep telling us.

Suggestion. You have a little under 40 hours of 2016 to get it out your system. But then, please, for the sake of this site - knock off the Remain mono-mania in 2017. Or I will have to resort to the lowest blow of all against your ego.

And tell you you're just fucking boring. You make the site boring. You are that Faragista with his own pewter tankard hanging from a beam above the bar, giving forth to no-one in particular about your views on the EU.

There was a time you were better than that. I hope you refind your way next year.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Mr Meeks, Leave's 'genie' was never promised to be out of its bottle on June the 24th.

Remain's Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were meant to be wreaking havoc with the economy on Day 1, and they simply aren't.
  • Options
    So.. because of the Poster and the Bus we should have open borders and unlimited immigration forever and never mention it again because there are racists, and every government forever must spend an extra £350m a week on the nhs above their plans.. Or what? Are Remainers going to deliver on that apocalypse they promised us?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Thank you Mr Moses (8.25am) . While I am relieved that the dire predictions of Project Fear have not transpired, I am by no means confident that we are not in for an unnecessarily unpleasant time over the next few years. For example, while it appears that exporters are doing well, particularly where they are exporting products made with UK raw materials ...... yes, there are some ........ or where the added value value is local expertise, it does appear that imported good, including food, are beginning to rise in price. There also appears to be a stop to the alleged practice by some employers of recruiting (particularly) East European staff where British staff were available, but expected higher salaries. Maybe of course the East Europeans have just realised they were being exploited and aren’t coming.

Much more worrying, though, is the amount of energy which is being expended on unravelling what seemed to me, as a Remainer, to be perfectly sensible arrangments and setting up new ones. It’s also alarming to see the concerns of citizens of other European countries who have been working here for some time.

One thing that did surprise me over Christmas was the friend of my ‘children’ who, having discovered that her mother was born in the Irish Republic had applied for an Irish passport, and whose student son was also applying. 'Just to make sure the son could work anywhere in the EU!"
  • Options

kle4 said:

I don't think 'you know, there might be political costs to not addressing public concerns as interpreted by the referendum campaign' is as stunning and unique an insight as portrayed. No kidding.
    That now has to be delivered on.
    No, it doesn't, you know.....
  • Options
    "The difference, of course, is that Leave will not be standing in the next general election...
    "

Whoa! 3Q...... Please Don't bring logic to an illogical argument.

Let's play along though. Just say if there was an election next year and Labour won ( yeah I know we are moving through the rear of the wardrobe here) would it be expected that the then new Labour government on leaving also allocated 350 million to the NHS? After all there were as many leavers on the Labour benches including their leader ( in his case very covertly of course).

Or is it just the Toreees with a large number of Remainers including the present and past Tory PM that would be held to account on this Measure?
  • Options
    I see our Brexiters are being history's most bad tempered and unhappy winners again. I can't imagine why. Buckle up.
  • Options

Alastair, the time to raise the argument about £350m for the NHS being a lie was during the referendum campaign.

What's that - you did? But you weren't believed? Now why would that be I wonder. Nothing to do with the rest of the Remain campaign being bogged down in lies and hyperbole of its own I'm sure.

We get it. Your Beautiful People and their Beautiful Minds lost out to a bunch scuzzy old thickoes with expanded waistlines and narrow minds. We've been getting that since June. Every conceivable opportunity to stick your hand-made loafers into the underbelly of the Leave voters has been taken. We get it. You're in pain yourself, so it' OK for you to lash out. No, you couldn't make a convincing argument at the time, because these Leavers were just too damn impervious to your perfectly crafted logic, too stupid to see nuance, too hate filled to see your carpet-bombing was just love-bombing, honestly. Therefore you have a burning need to keep re-running the Referendum in perpetuity. In homage to the way your beloved EU treats democracy. Re-run it often enough, and they'll get it right one day. Except, no, they won't. Because they're thickoes. As you keep telling us.

Suggestion. You have a little under 40 hours of 2016 to get it out your system. But then, please, for the sake of this site - knock off the Remain mono-mania in 2017. Or I will have to resort to the lowest blow of all against your ego.

And tell you you're just fucking boring. You make the site boring. You are that Faragista with his own pewter tankard hanging from a beam above the bar, giving forth to no-one in particular about your views on the EU.

There was a time you were better than that. I hope you refind your way next year.

I find the psychology of Leavers fascinating. They want their lies to be consequence free. They want their race baiting to be forgotten. But this isn't a game of cards where we shuffle the pack and move on to the next hand. The cards have memory.

For the next few years just about everything is going to be about Brexit. So the referendum campaign is going to be relevant for years. The lies, the pandering to xenophobia, that stuff.

So no, it won't be left behind. Long after those Leavers who thought leaving would be fun find the reality of it boring and frightening, Brexit will be dominating political conversation.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    With all due respect to the Leavers recent posting (which is probably too close to zero IMHO to be worth measurement) the "Four Horsemen" appeared on 'Day 1' it's just that you didn't see them. My business arranging holidays in the EU couldn't survive the instant 20% devaluation in our currency as our margin was 10% and I had to close it once our bookings made it unprofitable.

As for raising the issue about the £350m lie during the referendum I think all right thinking people pointed this out but weren't believed as the electorate would rather believe in the Unicorns on offer from the other side. I expect this will be taken on board by all parties at the next election and no one will be suggesting that a vote for a party supporting Leave will result in anything less than Armageddon. If the recent post by OGH regarding abuse was meant to be taken seriously then I expect you will be rightly dispatched to the naughty step MM and close the door behind you please.
  • Options
    "foxinsoxuk said:

The difference, of course, is that Leave will not be standing in the next general election... "

Leave MPs will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @OKC

That indeed is an issue and I work with a very large number of such people residing in the UK mainly from Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Spain but also Venezuela and Australia. They are all most valuable in their contribution to projects on which they are engaged and the benefit as a country as a whole.

I would really wish to see these issues resolved quickly and to be fair it has never been a doubt for me they would be able too and only the most extreme Remainer states they are to be thrown out. The illegal entry's though have to be assessed and removed if they are illegal. This is no different to any other country and even Morrocco says it will not take people back without the correct paperwork. Why should we then accept people without the correct paperwork or due reason for not having this. There are many of course that won't for example refugees as opposed to economic migrants and we have to consider this. From first hand experience economic migrants tend to destroy their documents purposely to hide their true identifies and prevent deportation. Deportation is of course very difficult even in the simplest of cases.

At the moment May has proposed solutions to EU nationals and it was rebutted by Junker. It is in everyone's best interest to get this reolved but I do not see why Junker has a major issue here? He certainly should not be standing in the way while the rest of Europe throw up border fenceing and the southern most countries are brought to their knees. This by the shear influx of uncontrolled economic migrant groups other than refugees from war zones with genuine needs. The refugees who we must help are simply lost in the masses.
  • Options

For the next few years just about everything is going to be about Brexit. So the referendum campaign is going to be relevant for years. The lies, the pandering to xenophobia, that stuff.

A few years of "the Poster racists" and "the Bus lies"? Surely not even remainers are that boring?
  • Options
    Poll stuff: set one (well, two) up about the paperback cover for Kingdom Asunder. Tend not to bang on about my blog here, but obviously more responses are more useful:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/vote-picking-paperback-cover.html

Tweetists may prefer the Twitter poll: https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/814756990316646400
  • Options

A few years of "the Poster racists" and "the Bus lies"? Surely not even remainers are that boring?
    Only a small subset of them.

Sadly they are over-represented amongst the political and media classes, and here.
  • Options
    we should just rename this site Political Brexit.com

Or PB.com for short. :wink:

Off out......
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited December 2016
    If wasn't for the filibustering by the referendum losers we would have the option to give the NHS £350m per week, & they would have the chance to point out that it wasn't happening.

Simultaneously conspiring to stop us leaving while moaning that promises that are dependent on our leaving are not being fulfilled is borderline crazy.

"The food here is awful"

"Yes and such small portions"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Credit for The Crown should go to the production company, not Netflix! It is Left Bank Pictures and Sony that made it happen, Netflix just purchased the rights. As Roger pointed out the other day, there is a lot of ex-BBC talent involved, but the BBC couldn't hold onto them.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited December 2016
    Ally_B said:

With all due respect to the Leavers recent posting (which is probably too close to zero IMHO to be worth measurement) the "Four Horsemen" appeared on 'Day 1' it's just that you didn't see them. My business arranging holidays in the EU couldn't survive the instant 20% devaluation in our currency as our margin was 10% and I had to close it once our bookings made it unprofitable.

As for raising the issue about the £350m lie during the referendum I think all right thinking people pointed this out but weren't believed as the electorate would rather believe in the Unicorns on offer from the other side. I expect this will be taken on board by all parties at the next election and no one will be suggesting that a vote for a party supporting Leave will result in anything less than Armageddon. If the recent post by OGH regarding abuse was meant to be taken seriously then I expect you will be rightly dispatched to the naughty step MM and close the door behind you please.

The fact that your niche business which was directly linked to the EU went under does not support your claims that overall things changed for the worse after the vote. Whilst it might be bad for you personally, for the country as a while the devaluation was a very good thing - indeed it was something that we should have been trying to do for years irrespective of the EU question.

So no, the Four Horsemen did not turn up.
  • Options

Ally_B said:

The fact that your niche business which was directly linked to the EU went under does not support your claims that overall things changed for the worse after the vote. Whilst it might be bad for you personally, for the country as a while the devaluation was a very good thing - indeed it was something that we should have been trying to do for years irrespective of the EU question.

So no, the Four Horsemen did not turn up.
    0.6% growth, rapidly falling primary income deficit, trade deficit finally starting to fall, savings growth up YoY and the government deficit will fall much further than the OBR have forecast. What's not to like?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kle4 said:

It's neither a stunning nor unique insight. What's fascinating is how desperate many Leavers are to suggest that the campaign was just a mild suggestion about everything other than the bare fact of leaving.

The Leave campaign was won by making the white folks angry and by splashing the cash around with preposterous promises. That now has to be delivered on. That ugly reality is one that far too many Leavers are frantic to deny that they participated in creating.
    Non-white "folks" who have already immigrated tend to feel exactly the same way as white "folks" about further immigration and no doubt voted in accordance with their concerns. Your attempt to pin this on the WWC fails.

If you really think 52% of your countrymen are racists, you have I think a moral obligation to emigrate to somewhere less horrible, and not come back. I do not jest. How can you sleep at night?

The 350m figure was the most thoroughly debunked claim in UK politics ever, well before the vote. It is, furthermore, unquestionably of the right order of magnitude. If you cranked it down to 100m its impact would probably not be measurably different.

If "making the white folks angry" means pointing to Remain's temporising and prevaricating over Turkey joining the EU, that strikes me as a very good thing to be angry about. How do you feel about being patronised and lied to?

None of the above considerations persuaded me to vote leave, so I voted remain. But I have resisted very successfully any temptation to re-classify 52% of my fellow-citizens as untermenschen, so it can be done.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    tlg86 said:

You always get at least one saddo Tory
  • Options
    If remainers want the £350m a week for the nhs, why don't they try to encourage Gisela Stuart to run for some higher office? I think she was the leaver who first 'promised' it to the nhs..
  • Options
    You mean an out of touch toilet paper rag repeats "SNPBAD" despite all teh evidence to the contrary
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    "fairly bleak". Not quite the broad sunlit uplands, is it?

I'm sure May has a plan though. Sure of it. Yep, definitely sure of it.

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/814753664279650304
  • Options

Moses_ said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

Surely everyone would agree that anyone who made such a fatuous connection would be an idiot?
    He is an idiot of the first order, knows ZERO about Scotland yet loves to pontificate.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Well, North Sea oil isn't coming back so there isn't the slightest justification for Barnett, just take the missing money for the £350 million pledge for the NHS England from that...

Are they emptying the asylums for New Year
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    Leave said there would be an extra £100m for the NHS. It said that ValAT on people's energy bills would be abolished (costing about £30m a week). And it said existing payments for farmers and regional support would be maintained. All these statements are compatible with the contributions we make to the EU presently.

Leave's programme for Brexit can be seen here. See under 'Immediate action' about two thirds of the way down.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36534802?client=safari

Anyone who thinks the referendum result would have been different if the ordinary punter thought we 'sent' £250m to the EU rather than £350m is deluding themselves.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/814564127230271489

The truth in one picture though, very simple.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    After some festive James Bond viewing I have decided that T May has modelled herself as closely as she can on Judi Dench's M. No doubt one of Davis, IDS, Johnson is her 007 figure, and the other two are deep cover moles working for Brussels.
  • Options

twitter.com/Brexit/status/814753664279650304

Yeah, the government have just been twiddling their thumbs for the past several months.
  • Options

Would not want to bet on that, they are whingers extraodinaire it seems
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah, the government have just been twiddling their thumbs for the past several months.
    I doubt they are even doing that Rob, I find it hard to believe they found someone mushier and more useless than Cameron.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I doubt they are even doing that Rob, I find it hard to believe they found someone mushier and more useless than Cameron.
    To be fair, I don't think you'd ever be pleased, unless perhaps Sturgeon was PM? :D
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I think we've found something Leavers and Remainers can agree on. Shall we all go and do something else today?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I asked my father and mother why they voted leave they said immigration .They are both nearly 80.There is immigration in York but mainly Chinese students.They both read the daily mail I believe that had more influence than the effect of where they live.However York Harrogate and Leeds voted remain..I do not think the arguments regarding sovereignty had any cut through with the vast majority.Immigration won it for leave.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

To be fair, I don't think you'd ever be pleased, unless perhaps Sturgeon was PM? :D
    Malc's not a huge fan of lefty Nicola.
  • Options
    Mr. City, Leeds was something like 50.3% for Remain. It was almost exactly split down the middle.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You mean an out of touch toilet paper rag repeats "SNPBAD" despite all teh evidence to the contrary
    'toilet paper rag' with three times the circulation of The Nat Onal

SNP....... 'the Nokia of politics'......has a ring to it.......
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I asked my father and mother why they voted leave they said immigration .They are both nearly 80.There is immigration in York but mainly Chinese students.They both read the daily mail I believe that had more influence than the effect of where they live.However York Harrogate and Leeds voted remain..I do not think the arguments regarding sovereignty had any cut through with the vast majority.Immigration won it for leave.

Doesn't polling suggest otherwise?
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer can't vote on Twitter, but I'd go for #1 - I do like more minimalist designs.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Barnett is not now and never has been related to North Sea Oil. It is a formula for equalising funding across the 4 parts of the United Kingdom when spending changes are made for England. It is based on proportional populations not income or assets. North Sea Oil plays absolutely no part in it at all.
  • Options
    Mr. D, cheers, made a note of that.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/814753664279650304

Or possibly its going to over heat.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/brexit-hysteria-blinds-us-to-the-real-danger-an-out-of-control-boom/

Economists eh ?
  • Options

Personal preference, no idea what would sell better!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I voted A for same reason.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Yorkcity said:

How fortunate we have your beliefs to rely on rather than say polling evidence.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.” Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.” Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I can see the merits either way (perhaps obviously, if I had a firm preference I'd just go with that).

Mr. D, one advantage of two versions (abridged and full) is that two different artworks can attract more eyes than just one would.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

How fortunate we have your beliefs to rely on rather than say polling evidence.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Nearly half (49%) of leave voters said the biggest single reason for wanting to leave the EU was “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”. One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.” Just over one in eight (13%) said remaining would mean having no choice “about how the EU expanded its membership or its powers in the years ahead.” Only just over one in twenty (6%) said their main reason was that “when it comes to trade and the economy, the UK would benefit more from being outside the EU than from being part of it.”
    How many people voted because of the infamous £350mn figure? :p
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

The normally astute Mr Meeks keeps raising the subject of '£350M/week for the NHS'. £150M (the nett rather than gross cost of the EU) would have been a better sum, to reduce the predictable whinging. We were selling the sizzle, not the sausage, so the precise size of X in the strap-line of '£XM for...' was immaterial.

Because the country post-EU membership, will be able to spend the gross contribution on anything the govt chooses, it is not a totally specious amount.

There are two big points to remember. Very few voted Leave because of NHS funding. And without the assination of Jo Cox, a much bigger margin for out would have resulted. That also would have had a positive effect on the current level of whining.

The £350 million a week claim was emblazoned on the campaign bus and featured heavily in Leave leaflets, it was hardly a throw-away comment, it was a central plank in Leave's campaign and it was no doubt there because focus groups etc showed it swayed votes.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
This discussion has been closed.