Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mega By-Election Week (Day Two: Take Two) : February 23rd 2017

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mega By-Election Week (Day Two: Take Two) : February 23rd 2017

D-Day. The day Doris Day came to Copeland pic.twitter.com/Laa4WYkxVp

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First :smiley:
    Everyone makes mistakes, Harry. I am just glad there wasn't an election on a... *shudders*... Wednesday!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    edited February 2017
    Third like UKIP.
  • From p/t: to @viewcode

Oh dear, sorry to hear of your woes. Wuss away!!
  • Cheers, Mr. Hayfield. (We all make mistakes. Even em).
  • Are we all staying up....so we can say we were there when Stoke yet again returned a donkey with a red rosette?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    A second betting disaster in 5 days beckons! Anyone want a match bet on 2nd place in Stoke?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Are we all staying up....so we can say we were there when Stoke yet again returned a donkey with a red rosette?

Hell no
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    LDs take Chigwell Village, I think it falls into the category of very, very unlikely.
    kle4 said:

Are we all staying up....so we can say we were there when Stoke yet again returned a donkey with a red rosette?

Hell no
    Not even for an extended session of late night political chat? :o
  • how late are the results expected?
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    isam said:

A second betting disaster in 5 days beckons! Anyone want a match bet on 2nd place in Stoke?

Will you offer me 3/1 on con 2nd?
    Pong said:

isam said:

No! I was hoping some muggeroo would bet EVS!
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
  • Are we all staying up....so we can say we were there when Stoke yet again returned a donkey with a red rosette?

I am, I shall be your guide for this evening.

In the last year when I've looked after PB overnight, I oversaw Brexit and President Trump.
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Hell no
    Ok youve won me over
  • Sorry to hear of your bad week, Mr. Viewcode. Hopefully the next will be better, and tomorrow will provide some diversion.
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    You can't blame me for trying.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

I think you offered 5/2 to me a couple of weeks back that Con beat Kipper for second. Does that still stand?
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

I am, I shall be your guide for this evening.

In the last year when I've looked after PB overnight, I oversaw Brexit and President Trump.
    So no pressure then to make it an exciting night here on PB....
  • kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Hell no
    Ok youve won me over
    I've got an awesome pun lined up for tonight.

isam said:

I think you offered 5/2 to me a couple of weeks back that Con beat Kipper for second. Does that still stand?
    Oh yeah I keep the same prices for the match bet when the odds to win change from EVS to 5/1 and 100/1 to 14s!!!!
    edited February 2017
    Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

UKIP could still win, I have seen 5/1 shots come in before!
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh yeah I keep the same prices for the match bet when the odds to win change from EVS to 5/1 and 100/1 to 14s!!!!
    Excellent! I may have some further bets to place then :-)
  • A truly terrible night for Mrs May if the Tories fail to take Stoke.

That's my benchmark for tonight.
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Hell no
    Ok youve won me over
    Blue Nun on standby.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

I would point out that at this point on EU referendum day, Remain was the clear betting favourite.
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

I would point out that at this point on EU referendum day, Remain was the clear betting favourite.
    1/14 at the close of the polls I believe

What price was Trump?

Vaguely on topic:
    though I note Blaby in Leics is in third. Not my favourite Leicester suburb...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231

From p/t: to @viewcode

Oh dear, sorry to hear of your woes. Wuss away!!

Thank you
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2017
    "Estimate (based on historical trends): Labour HOLD on a swing of 1% from Con to Lab"

I was surprised to read the above "estimate" on the last line of the header this evening setting out details of the Copeland by-election.
    I would be interested to learn by whom the "estimate" was prepared and on what polling or other information it is based since it flies in the face of all the received wisdom relating to the likely outcome on which basis the Tories are the short odds-on favourite to win the seat from Labour, even if Mike Smithson (along with yours truly) happen to disagree.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

A truly terrible night for Mrs May if the Tories fail to take Stoke.

That's my benchmark for tonight.

A truly good night for me if they fail to take Copeland.
  • rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

The question will Paul Nuttall concede at around 10pm tonight and bugger up the betting markets further, and then win?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Harry! :)

What time are we expecting declarations in Stoke and Copeland?
  • Kudos for the Its The Mind image - fantastic bit of Python insanity.

Posting this from the business lounge of Holiday Inn Kensington making full use of the free bar. As a Labour man should I (a) cheer on the Labour candidates tonight or (b) cheer on the Tory candidates...?
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Has Nuttall really done much worse than Trump? I don't see how the enormous Brexit vote can be dismissed, however much he has embarrassed himself individually. If somebody wants to vote UKIP to send a message, the candidate is but a minor barrier.

Kudos for the Its The Mind image - fantastic bit of Python insanity.

Posting this from the business lounge of Holiday Inn Kensington making full use of the free bar. As a Labour man should I (a) cheer on the Labour candidates tonight or (b) cheer on the Tory candidates...?

Sit and pray for sanity to return to the party no matter what result occurs - as it is that is not guaranteed whichever you cheer on.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Pray 4 Jeremy
  • On the bright side I decided to stay in the smoke tonight and not head north as my colleagues have done. Not the best day for travelling by train
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    My worst betting event last year was the Holyrood elections. Got a bit high on the SNP supply and underestimated Tory surgitis.
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    GIN1138 said:

Someone on here yesterday was suggesting 1-2am for Stoke and 3-4am for Copeland (weather permitting).
    Pulpstar said:

My worst betting event last year was the Holyrood elections. Got a bit high on the SNP supply and underestimated Tory surgitis.

You didn't hear the Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon (tm)?
  • Dutch polls IPSOS VVD [Rutte] 28 (+2) PVV [WIlders] 26 (-1) continuing the trend - but will it stay like that?
  • The Tory price in Stoke at over 15/1 makes no sense.

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

The question will Paul Nuttall concede at around 10pm tonight and bugger up the betting markets further, and then win?
    It depends if he's betting on the outcome.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    dr_spyn said:

LDs take Chigwell Village, I think it falls into the category of very, very unlikely.

what?? they got 4% last time? How?........
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    No big changes today in the betting re-Copeland.

The Tory price in Stoke at over 15/1 makes no sense.

That looks like value. 8 or 9 to 1 seems right to me.
  • "Estimate (based on historical trends): Labour HOLD on a swing of 1% from Con to Lab"

I was surprised to read the above "estimate" on the last line of the header this evening setting out details of the Copeland by-election.
    I would be interested to learn by whom the "estimate" was prepared and on what polling or other information it is based since it flies in the face of all the received wisdom relating to the likely outcome on which basis the Tories are the short odds-on favourite to win the seat from Labour, even if Mike Smithson (along with yours truly) happen to disagree.

It was my estimate based on comparing the Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, Plaid, SNP, UKIP and Green vote at a general election and the by-election in a similar method to Mr. Singh of Number Cruncher Politics

• glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited February 2017
    Nuttall is right about the NHS, it is a monolithic hangover from days gone by, not the envy of the world BS that politicians usually trot out. We will never have first class healthcare if we won't even talk honestly about the NHS.
    @HarryHayfield - thanks for this, and all previous by election threads!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Ranieri sacked! What on Earth?
  • Sean_F said:

I think they should be shorter than UKIP but UKIP should be longer.
    glw said:

Nuttall is right about the NHS, it is monolithic hangover from days gone by, not the envy of the world BS that politicians usually trot out. We will never have first class healthcare if we won't even talk honestly about the NHS.

Seems likely. Taking public statements at face value it is in continual crisis, no matter how much money is put in it is never enough, and its administration is a farce even by governmental standards.
  • Interesting that Shadsy, Ladbrokes' political supremo, who doesn't get many things wrong has shortened his odds on Labour holding Stoke from 1.57 this morning to 1.36 currently.
    Why TSE, no slouch himself when it comes to political betting really thinks the Tories have a prayer in this seat amazes me.
  • Mr. Eagles, rank ingratitude from Leicester.
  • Interesting that Shadsy, Ladbrokes' political supremo, who doesn't get many things wrong has shortened his odds on Labour holding Stoke from 1.57 this morning to 1.36 currently.
    Why TSE, no slouch himself when it comes to political betting really thinks the Tories have a prayer in this seat amazes me.

I don't think the Tories have a chance in Stoke.

I will eat Paddy Ashdown's hat if the Tories gain Stoke.
    edited February 2017
    Pulpstar said:
    That is incredible. Sacked at Peak Leicester!

Modern Football Is Rubbish
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/ftwestminster/status/834852931358879745

Given reunification would involve NI joining Ireland (already an EU member), how is this an issue? NI wouldn't have to apply to join in their own right.
  • It is an offence to report on postal votes.
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Sacked after getting a half decent result in the CHAMPION'S LEAGUE.
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Nuttall is right about the NHS, it is monolithic hangover from days gone by, not the envy of the world BS that politicians usually trot out. We will never have first class healthcare if we won't even talk honestly about the NHS.

Seems likely. Taking public statements at face value it is in continual crisis, no matter how much money is put in it is never enough, and its administration is a farce even by governmental standards.
    And the same people who bang on about all those woes attack even the mildest criticism of the NHS. It seems impossible to have a sensible debate about the NHS.
    Scott_P said:
    The end of the UK then. The question is whether it will be a return to the Kingdom of Great Britain, or whether the clock will be turned back even further.
    Pulpstar said:
    Blimey, this morning's radio was all about how Leicester might have turned a corner with last night's performance.
  • It is an offence to report on postal votes.

Even after 10pm when the polls close?

Scott_P said:

The end of the UK then. The question is whether it will be a return to the Kingdom of Great Britain, or whether the clock will be turned back even further.
    A seemingly unnecessary clause in a treaty is the end of the UK? Talk about hyperbole.
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Sacked after getting a half decent result in the CHAMPION'S LEAGUE.
    Hope they go down now.

It's not about him getting it wrong or right: his odds will reflect Ladbrokes book, and the weight of money being placed.

Following that is just following the market.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

It is an offence to report on postal votes.

Does that apply to general comments as well as giving specific figures?
  • Pulpstar said:
    Second season in a row that the reigning Premier league champions have sacked their manager
  • Has Keith Vaz engineered a big story to deflect from labour tomorrow morning.

Either way disgraceful and I hope they go down as a result
  • justin124 said:

It is an offence to report on postal votes.

Does that apply to general comments as well as giving specific figures?
    Yes.
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:
    Blimey, this morning's radio was all about how Leicester might have turned a corner with last night's performance.
    I'd give my right arm for Ranieri to come to my club down the M69 from Leicester.

Leicester - Prem winners going to Seville in the Champion's league
    Coventry - Nine points from safety at the bottom of league one.
  • Anyway, I am off for the evening.

Best of luck, everyone. Do give Mr. Eagles regular jabs with a pin if he seems to be nodding off.
    glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

And the same people who bang on about all those woes attack even the mildest criticism of the NHS. It seems impossible to have a sensible debate about the NHS.
    Alternatively we could bring spending up to the G7 average.
  • DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

5/2?
    EVENS!
    No always worth a go!

1/14 at the close of the polls I believe

What price was Trump?

I put my whole Betfair bank on Clinton at 1.16 which is about 1/6 and then went to bed, when I woke up I found to my horror that Trump was 'ahead in key states'

He must have been around 9/2 or 4.5 on Betfair.
    edited February 2017

Sean_F said:

I think they should be shorter than UKIP but UKIP should be longer.
    My thoughts too.

I may well be wrong though.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    David Coburn MEP‏@DavidCoburnUKip 25s25 seconds ago
    More
    I will be tweeting from Stoke once the polls close we can win this
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

A seemingly unnecessary clause in a treaty is the end of the UK? Talk about hyperbole.
    I'm just getting into the spirit of Brexit at any price.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Russell Hargrave‏@Hargraver 46s46 seconds ago
    More
    Sources in Stoke: leading candidate for new #Leicester boss is Paul Nuttall
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Yes, the spending on our healthcare should go up. An NHS complemented by employer private health schemes seems the way to go methinks.
    For all its problems it is still a very valuable and cost efficient resource for providing healthcare at the end of the day.

Has Keith Vaz engineered a big story to deflect from labour tomorrow morning.

Either way disgraceful and I hope they go down as a result
    Me too. It is scandalous.
    Danny565 said:

More

Some punctuation would help clarify whether he's blindly optimistic or just planning to stuff the ballot boxes.

Pulpstar said:
    Second season in a row that the reigning Premier league champions have sacked their manager
    So Wenger's being cannier than people think.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    TudorRose said:

GIN1138 said:

Someone on here yesterday was suggesting 1-2am for Stoke and 3-4am for Copeland (weather permitting).
    I heard 3-4am for Stoke and perhaps tomorrow for Copeland. I'm going to set my alarm for 3am and join you all then.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Given reunification would involve NI joining Ireland (already an EU member), how is this an issue? NI wouldn't have to apply to join in their own right.
    In the middle of an election campaign in NI, that's a bit stupid from Kenny, he might as well say vote DUP.
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Money is only part of the problem, and maybe not even a major part.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

And how do the G7 organise this funding of healthcare?

Danny565 said:

More

Some punctuation would help clarify whether he's blindly optimistic or just planning to stuff the ballot boxes.
    lol

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

In the middle of an election campaign in NI, that's a bit stupid from Kenny, he might as well say vote DUP.
    Isn't he on his way out anyway? So who cares what he thinks should be in the deal?
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Yes, the spending on our healthcare should go up. An NHS complemented by employer private health schemes seems the way to go methinks.
    For all its problems it is still a very valuable and cost efficient resource for providing healthcare at the end of the day.
    We cannot have a proper debate when the Left treats the NHS as the ultimate in perfection and the Right complain that we spend too much on it. It isn't, and we don't.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    glw said:

dixiedean said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Money is only part of the problem, and maybe not even a major part.
    It's the system.

It came into being in 1948. It's been in crisis since 1948.

No one in their right mind would design this system from scratch.

I don't think the Tories have a chance in Stoke.

I will eat Paddy Ashdown's hat if the Tories gain Stoke.
    I must have somehow misconstrued your earlier post at 7.26pm:

"A truly terrible night for Mrs May if the Tories fail to take Stoke.

That's my benchmark for tonight."
    edited February 2017

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Will it really make a difference there? Genuine question.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2017
    I hear Jim the Washing Machine salesman is distort, I mean distraught, at the news of Ranieri sacking....
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't he on his way out anyway? So who cares what he thinks should be in the deal?
    He is, normally he has been a pretty sensible bloke who avoids the North like the plague , so I assume the green tub thumping is trying to shore up his position.

On the other hand I'm all for it if we can have a reciprocal clause on Ireland leaving the EU.
This discussion has been closed.