Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we seeing the Tony Blair effect on BREXIT? Those saying LE

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we seeing the Tony Blair effect on BREXIT? Those saying LEAVE vote “wrong” now same as those saying “right”

I love trackers because the same question is asked in exactly the same way each time the question is put so and as PBers will know I’ve regularly report the above BREXIT finding from YouGov.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QTWTAIN
  • Options
    'the Tony Blair effect'.

Excellent trolling!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    MOE
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    So boring, who cares?

Its over!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    The most remarkable thing about the polling on this issue is just how unremarkable it is. There is no movement outside the MoE.
  • Options
    It looks like random variation to me. Very few are changing their minds either way, which is itself striking.

Proposals for change often become more popular once passed. This one hasn't.
  • Options
    Interesting from Britain Elects on the forthcoming locals.

http://britainelects.com/2017/02/24/2017briefing-england/
  • Options
    isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Very probably, but not definitely. If polls showed opposition to Brexit at 70:30 in September, we would see a reverse ferret. I'm not remotely expecting this, mind.
  • Options

It looks like random variation to me. Very few are changing their minds either way, which is itself striking.

This one still isn't accepted by the people who lost in the media or the members of parliament. The options seem to be the establishment's choice or a divided country

Theresa May was a Remainer who has accepted the result, and she is now cast as a hardline Brexiteer on the back of it!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Not what Nigel said in 1975. Or 1993. Or...
  • Options

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Very probably, but not definitely. If polls showed opposition to Brexit at 70:30 in September, we would see a reverse ferret. I'm not remotely expecting this, mind.
    Yes, reversal remains theoretically possible, but the range of scenarios that would produce clear public support for such a position that would embolden politicians to attempt it are vanishingly small, not least because best or worst case, a lot won't be incontestably obvious to the men and women in the street such as you and I.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKO_JRbcC04
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

God I hope not. We are leaving. We can't change our minds now. The deal would be dreadful. Dave's deal was very important and I doubt we would be offered it again.

Give it a few years to try to negotiate a deal which is not too damaging.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Howl.

Seriously though Mike, there's very little point in getting excited over MoE stuff.
  • Options

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

For a very long while I made a complete fool of myself by refusing to believe that someone I loved didn't love me. The contortions I created to somehow make it the way I wanted it were remarkable.If you had told me before I met her that I would be so blind, I would never have believed it, and when I look back at that part of my life I have to turn the heating down or open a window so great is the cringe factor... that's how the refuseniks are looking now. I saw them before and after, it is quite unreal
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Sorry I can't be bothered to watch embedded videos which the poster thinks makes a droll point.

You'll have to actually reply to me.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

For a very long while I made a complete fool of myself by refusing to believe that someone I loved didn't love me. The contortions I created to somehow make it the way I wanted it were remarkable.If you had told me before I met her that I would be so blind, I would never have believed it, and when I look back at that part of my life I have to turn the heating down or open a window so great is the cringe factor... that's how the refuseniks are looking now. I saw them before and after, it is quite unreal
    Was it the Labour Party?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

I suspect that no large scale movement will occur until it seriously impacts the economy for good or bad. At that point Joe & Joanne Public will pay attention.

Of course, by then it will be too late to do anything about it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Sorry I can't be bothered to watch embedded videos which the poster thinks makes a droll point.

You don't even have to watch it!
  • Options
    Also Mike, you've posted the same chart twice, not the overall one and the party splits.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

You don't even have to watch it!
    A black box with a white "play" arrow in the middle of it.

Says nothing to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

So boring, who cares?

Its over!

Watch it anyway - You can't beat a bit of Roy!
  • Options
    Pretty much within the margin of error surely? AKA much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, reversal remains theoretically possible,

I have to disagree. I think reversal would only be possible under conditions that cannot prevail or would be wholly unacceptable.

For instance, the current government's comments, whether intended for home consumption or not, have been very hostile to the EU. To remain in the EU we would need to change the character of the govt completely. How do you do that without an opposition? We have no broom with which to sweep clean.

Even if we did have a way of changing the govt, the EU would have to be delusional not to believe that the Brexiteers would never be re-elected so we would have to be "locked in" or else why have us back if we can leave again?

We have made our bed, now we have to lie in it...

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    BBC News Channel cuts away from Jezza for 'The Travel Show'. So it stops being a news channel on Sundays.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FPT Roger, I don't see what the problem is with Brexit for you. You'll still get to mix with other rich left wing snobs, while avoiding the English hoi polloi you loathe.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

BBC News Channel cuts away from Jezza for 'The Travel Show'. So it stops being a news channel on Sundays.

Like the Marr show ceases to be a politics show and tries to be the South Bank Show. Today it was Wolverine and Marc Almond. It's so weird, I wonder if it is a budgetary thing - maybe if it is classed as light entertainment it gets more than as current affairs??
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited February 2017
    Essexit said:

Also Mike, you've posted the same chart twice, not the overall one and the party splits.

Two much of a good thing? Oh.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

kle4 said:

I have to disagree. I think reversal would only be possible under conditions that cannot prevail or would be wholly unacceptable.

For instance, the current government's comments, whether intended for home consumption or not, have been very hostile to the EU. To remain in the EU we would need to change the character of the govt completely. How do you do that without an opposition? We have no broom with which to sweep clean.

Even if we did have a way of changing the govt, the EU would have to be delusional not to believe that the Brexiteers would never be re-elected so we would have to be "locked in" or else why have us back if we can leave again?

Well you don't. You're off to Ireland!
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Now we have the right chart, it doesn't prove that Corbyn's out of line with his party's voters. Thinking the vote was wrong isn't the same as thinking it shouldn't be respected.

You'd need more detailed polling to distinguish between 'I think it was wrong but should be implemented' and 'I think it was wrong and Parliament should overrule the plebs'. No doubt some of the latter category exist within Labour and the Tories, but they're probably strongest in the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT Roger, I don't see what the problem is with Brexit for you. You'll still get to mix with other rich left wing snobs, while avoiding the English hoi polloi you loathe.

Given that 'hoi' is the (nominative masculine plural) definite article, isn't using 'the' and 'hoi' together a tautology of sorts?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2017

The most remarkable thing about the polling on this issue is just how unremarkable it is. There is no movement outside the MoE.

And there won't be even if the economy moves.

Oil is nowhere near $150 a barrel in Scotland as ' Scot Leave' promised in 2014 and the Scottish budget deficit is eye-watering.

Yet, who has changed their minds up there about Leave/Remain for the UK?

Hardly anybody. The same will apply with the EU independence vote.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    @isam - I agree with Jezza!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Given that 'hoi' is the (nominative masculine plural) definite article, isn't using 'the' and 'hoi' together a tautology of sorts?
    Correct, but it is in common usage.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    isam said:
    He forgot to add they are racist too....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

But this is PB.com, Britain's most-read political blog - and the best online resource for insufferable pedantry and classics!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    So the premise of the thread is that Tony speaks and everyone falls to their knees and has a conversion?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    GIN1138 said:

So the premise of the thread is that Tony speaks and everyone falls to their knees and has a conversion?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... ;)

I believe it is what is popularly known as....Taps mic...Sniff sniff..Fake News.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Interesting. In general as it's a derogatory term (I guess) I think you should be right. But English is slippery. More conventionally, If one used the phrase "consensus of opinion" in a derogatory way he would be tripping on his own feet.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Essexit said:

Now we have the right chart, it doesn't prove that Corbyn's out of line with his party's voters. Thinking the vote was wrong isn't the same as thinking it shouldn't be respected.

You'd need more detailed polling to distinguish between 'I think it was wrong but should be implemented' and 'I think it was wrong and Parliament should overrule the plebs'. No doubt some of the latter category exist within Labour and the Tories, but they're probably strongest in the Liberal Democrats.
    As David Herdson continues to point out, looking at the hardcore group who still say they'd vote Labour isn't terribly helpful because (unless Labour gets utterly thrashed at the next GE) they may not be representative of Labour voters in general..

Would be particularly interesting to see the breakdown of Labour supporters at the 2015 or even 2010 General Election, to see what the makeup is of those groups who Labour needs to get back in order to suffer a 2010 or 2015 style defeat rather than a cataclysm. Let alone the floating voters who are potential Labour voters in future, and who Labour needs to win if they'd like to force a hung parliament, or actually win something...

(Such a split would be particularly useful if we saw the England/Wales and Scottish figures separately as I suspect those demographics may be poles apart.)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772
    edited February 2017
    @Luckyguy1983

I can see this is going to run and run. Firstly, I refer you to my rebuttal here (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) which was based on Plato's original posting of this: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 . However I have now been informed of a better quality version (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ), which should put things to bed about the lack of fakery.

However, that's not answering your points. So secondly, let's go thru your points one by one...

"1. The reporter's voice is quite clearly not being recorded on the prow of a boat...."

I disagree to the noise level, and refer you to the better quality video for examples of wind noise

"2. The waves near the bottom of the screen are way too close up...."

This assumes you know how big the waves are.

"...This effect is also evident when a seagull takes off - it would have to be the size of a elephant to appear that large from that distance..."

I can't speak to gulls from other countries, but North Anerican gulls have wingspans[2] of between 24inches (2ft) to 63 inches (5ft 3inches), with an average[1] of approximately 50inches (4ft 2). From the video the gull's wingspan is less than the distance between the reporter's elbows if outstretched (about 3-4ft).

"3. The motion of the water is having no impact on the boat that the reporter is being filmed on..."

Again, I refer you to the better quality video. The boat is plainly moving.

"...nor is the boat having an impact on the motion of the water..."

I don't know what you mean by this. Did you mean there's no obvious wash over the prow? I think you'd get that in more unsettled conditions, but not in these.

"4. The reporter makes no movement to compensate for the rise and fall of the water, beyond his initial legs akimbo stance."

I think you'd get that in more unsettled conditions, but not in these

"5. The reporter and his prow are brightly lit..."

I disagree with this. The lighting is consistent with an (partly?) overcast day during the daytime: lots of soft fill, no harsh shadows, with a degree of fill from the light deck below him. If the reporter was brightly lit as you suggest, we'd be seeing harsher shadows.

Given your previously professed beliefs (Russia had nothing to do with the airline shootdown, the Ukraine violence was caused by the EU somehow), I don't expect you to believe this. But I do tend to treat people literally (@PlatoSaid has criticised me for this wrt Trump) so I hope you understand I did you the compliment of treating your points seriously, if only to dismiss them

Notes
    [1] It should be a weighted average, but I don't have frequencies, so... :(
    [2] http://www.spwickstrom.com/seagull/
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

kle4 said:

Even if the UK somehow 'decided' we really wanted to stay in the EU after all, the EU would be out of patience and would probably try to impose terms that would be tantamount to kicking us out.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    The spurs absolutely smashing stoke...How the f##k did they lose to Genk in the week?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

That may be the case, but then plebs like me would think there was a word missing.
  • Options

The spurs absolutely smashing stoke...How the f##k did they lose to Genk in the week?

Because Alli is an idiot and Gent are quite good.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

But this is PB.com...the best online resource for insufferable pedantry...

My middle names, I believe.

• Options
    I

LOVE

HARRY
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I

LOVE

HARRY

Redknapp? ;-)
  • Options

I

LOVE

HARRY

Redknapp? ;-)
    Anyone called Harry with Spurs connections....
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

That may be the case, but then plebs like me would think there was a word missing.
    Relax AnneJGP ...... I bet you don't say "haitch" instead of aitch .... now that would be serious.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

WHL vs Wemb-er-le-y
  • Options
    TSE having Kane as skipper is the only downside but I'll take that!!!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Hoi polloi like you!
  • Options
    The question is will spurs scored more goals than English scores tries vs Italy?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GIN1138 said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... ;)

Yet he is known as Toxic Tony..... for some reason...........

• Options
    viewcode said:

I disagree with this. The lighting is consistent with an (partly?) overcast day during the daytime: lots of soft fill, no harsh shadows, with a degree of fill from the light deck below him. If the reporter was brightly lit as you suggest, we'd be seeing harsher shadows.

OK as someone who holds RYA qualifications, three things immediately stand out to me

1) The flags on the shore (and on the warship) are well streamed out indicating about 20 - 25 kts of wind. The reporter's hair is well combed and not blowing around very much. His hair should be like the flags - horizontal.

2) Anyone who goes on to the foredeck of any boat I am in charge off will be wearing a PFD or else they can stay on the pontoon/wharf

3) The wake produced by the warship is not trivial yet the report's boat seems to yaw rather than roll. I know few sailors who would remain in that stance on a boat in windy, bouncy conditions. Sailors are called "hands" because you have one have hand for the work and one hand for working the boat.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

But this is PB.com, Britain's most-read political blog - and the best online resource for insufferable pedantry and classics!
    To speculate, maybe if we'd lost WWII we'd be encountering similar little conundrums (conundra??) in German, just as we now do with Latinate words.
  • Options

A Hat-trick and an assist for my Skipper.

Hurrah for Harry Kane.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Well, give him some credit for honesty.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I think that is because, usually, the keaders of the group that didn't get their preferred option move on or accept the result.

Here many haven't - they've fought tooth and nail to frustrate the decision of the people. In itself this has legitimized people not changing their mind
  • Options

Pretty much within the margin of error surely? AKA much ado about nothing.

But, but what are the Lib Dems for if not to save us from ourselves
  • Options
    Toms said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

To speculate, maybe if we'd lost WWII we'd be encountering similar little conundrums (conundra??) in German, just as we now do with Latinate words.
    Would there be elections to bet on though?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,402
    Sean_F said:

He's probably worried about the fact that London bars of the pseudo-posh variety generally have a quota of French people. Boris Becker might stop speaking to him...
  • Options

kle4 said:

That's why it's only theoretical, because the conditions that would allow are both unlikely and unpalatable to a great many on various sides. Most things under our system of government are theoretically possible, like taking away the vote, but aren't about to happen.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

WHL vs Wemb-er-le-y
    Spurs to go down next season then?
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Toms said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Would there be elections to bet on though?
    I guess not. Thinking about it makes me appreciate what we've got.
  • Options

Hurrah for Harry Kane.
    Everyone ends up a Spurs fan in the end. Welcome. And you've copied me with Eriksen too in your team... Wise man.
  • Options
    What a great place Stoke is - helps keep Jezza in place and then lies down vs Totty.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Invaluable pedantry I think you mean.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think that is because, usually, the keaders of the group that didn't get their preferred option move on or accept the result.

Here many haven't - they've fought tooth and nail to frustrate the decision of the people. In itself this has legitimized people not changing their mind
    Yes, exactly

If it had been 52/48 the other way I guess more people would have accepted no Brexit, but UKIP would be winning Stoke (I have accepted that loss!)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

WHL vs Wemb-er-le-y
    Spurs to go down next season then?
    Only if we win the Premier League this year, the precedent has been set.
  • Options

A moment of madness
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    edited February 2017
    Speaking for myself, I thought Brexit a big mistake and still think that, but I totally accepted on the 24th June that it was going ahead. I am very and quite objectively interested in how it is all going to pan out.

It's very similar to the 2004 Iraq invasion. I knew from the off that there was little prospect of success because the assumptions behind it were highly doubtful. But once you declare war you can't undeclare it. You have to go through with it. Iraq turned out pretty much as I expected, incidentally, including not finding significant WMD. I did think other countries might take advantage of Iraq's subsequent weakness and balkanise it. In fact it was a non-state organisation that piled in.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ah, it's Remainers' fault that Leavers have been unpersuasive. I should have guessed.
  • Options

Hurrah for Harry Kane.
    Everyone ends up a Spurs fan in the end. Welcome. And you've copied me with Eriksen too in your team... Wise man.
    I've always liked Spurs fans.

PB does have a pro Spurs bias in this thread writers too with Keiran and Southam.

So, fancy selling Harry Kane to us in exchange for Daniel Sturridge.

We'll even take Sissoko off your hands too.

£35 million for Carroll and £30 million for Sissoko, Newcastle are rather good at the sales.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

Can you believe someone once complained to Mike about me using classical history references in thread headers.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998

viewcode said:

OK as someone who holds RYA qualifications, three things immediately stand out to me

1) The flags on the shore (and on the warship) are well streamed out indicating about 20 - 25 kts of wind. The reporter's hair is well combed and not blowing around very much. His hair should be like the flags - horizontal.

2) Anyone who goes on to the foredeck of any boat I am in charge off will be wearing a PFD or else they can stay on the pontoon/wharf

3) The wake produced by the warship is not trivial yet the report's boat seems to yaw rather than roll. I know few sailors who would remain in that stance on a boat in windy, bouncy conditions. Sailors are called "hands" because you have one have hand for the work and one hand for working the boat.
    Thanks for that.

1) The flag on shore and on the ship are at much higher levels, and the ship is moving. And the reporter's hair does move: for instance a great deal at about ten seconds in. Other, smaller movements are hidden by artifacting in the distance shots, although something can be seen at about 2m40.

2) well, yes.

3) I'd bow to your superior knowledge. To my inexpert view it seems reasonable; given the angle of the reporter's boat to the wake coming off the ship when it hits.

BTW, my profile piccie is of me eating breakfast on the bowsprit of the Jeanie Johnston. :)
  • Options

Charles said:

Ah, it's Remainers' fault that Leavers have been unpersuasive. I should have guessed.
    Why do leavers have to keep persuade all over again? They won, they persuaded the majority, it is over.

The only people interested in keeping the argument alive are those who cant handle the fact they lost. Funnily enough, they are the people who had it their own way for the last generation, while dismissing the concerns of anyone not in their clique.

Remainers/Remoaners/Refusers are wearing the clothes of the people they used to mock
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

viewcode said:

I can't believe I'm getting into this but 20 - 25 knts is upper end of Force 5 mainly Force 6. The waves are clearly typical of something under Force 3. Not a white horse insight. Crests begin to break at the upper end of Force 3. The Destroyer obviously has a speed producing a relative wind speed for the flag.
  • Options
    @Beverley_C

1) The flags on the shore (and on the warship) are well streamed out indicating about 20 - 25 kts of wind.

I can't see flags on shore. As for flags on the warship, you'd have to take its speed into account.

The reporter's hair is well combed and not blowing around very much. His hair should be like the flags - horizontal.

I don't think the wind and boat speed would result in the effect you describe. However, if I am wrong...well, there's always hairspray

Fair point, but we are not debating whether the reporter is safe, we are debating whether he is present.

I initially thought that, but I thought the yaw was produced by the boat driver (wrong word?... :) ) altering the angle driving into the warship's wake to minimise roll. But if you look at the higher quality video (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ), you can see rolling between 2:50 and 3:00. It would be easier to see if the prow contained horizontal lines, but it doesn't

• Options

Hurrah for Harry Kane.

PB does have a pro Spurs bias in this thread writers too with Keiran and Southam.

£35 million for Carroll and £30 million for Sissoko, Newcastle are rather good at the sales.
    Everyone says how clever Levy is but Newcastle - that's how to be a selling club...
  • Options
    isam said:
    They should let him go. More trouble than his millions are worth.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Here's an interesting one for SeanT:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/835549939904221184/photo/1
  • Options
    Re the last thread.

Betstars are offering 100/1 on Jeremy Hunt as next PM

https://www.betstars.uk/#/specials/outrights/4007331
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

Charles said:

Why do leavers have to keep persuade all over again? They won, they persuaded the majority, it is over.

The only people interested in keeping the argument alive are those who cant handle the fact they lost. Funnily enough, they are the people who had it their own way for the last generation, while dismissing the concerns of anyone not in their clique.

Remainers/Remoaners/Refusers are wearing the clothes of the people they used to mock
    I thought that Leavers wanted Britain to unite around Brexit to make a success of it. To do that they need to show Remainers that there is something to unite behind. So far, they have proven to be malignantly poor winners, reconfirming all of Remainers' suspicions about them. Yet somehow this is Remainers' fault.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    viewcode said:

@Luckyguy1983

I can see this is going to run and run. Firstly, I refer you to my rebuttal here (h ttp://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1450938/#Comment_1450938 ) which was based on Plato's original posting of this: h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn5pIkEHPf0 . However I have now been informed of a better quality version (h ttp://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2014/03/07/exp-nr-vo-watson-russia-ukraine-ships.cnn ), which should put things to bed about the lack of fakery.

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears. We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event. Therefore, contrary to your implication, I have no dog in this fight. I am simply sceptical enough about the honesty of large media organisations to believe that it's quite possible that CNN would attempt to manipulate a report, for whatever reason, if they thought they could get away with it.

For you, on the other hand, acknowledging that CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage would shatter your world view. So you pull together a daft 'rebuttal' to try to convince everyone (even yourself?) that it didn't happen.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick. The fact that it's as large as life in the film makes it very clear this is a composite. But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes because CNN would never lie to you.

• Options

Hurrah for Harry Kane.

Not into football, so could someone please enlighten me: Where/who do these vast sums of money come from, and where/who do they go to?
  • Options

isam said:

Charles said:

I thought that Leavers wanted Britain to unite around Brexit to make a success of it. To do that they need to show Remainers that there is something to unite behind. So far, they have proven to be malignantly poor winners, reconfirming all of Remainers' suspicions about them. Yet somehow this is Remainers' fault.
    Hmmm can you you think of any malignant remainers.

Perhaps someone who threw a huge hissy fit when things didn't go their way?

• Options

Hurrah for Harry Kane.

PB does also have a notable West Ham contingent. Only amongst the most sensible posters though :-)
  • Options
    kjh said:

I can't believe I'm getting into this but 20 - 25 knts is upper end of Force 5 mainly Force 6. The waves are clearly typical of something under Force 3. Not a white horse insight. Crests begin to break at the upper end of Force 3. The Destroyer obviously has a speed producing a relative wind speed for the flag.

Good point. Flags and windsocks normally go horizontal at 20-25. Force 4 is up to 15 and that normally produces small waves.

In any case, more than enough to blow hair around unless he has glued it with a can of Harmony No.5 Extra Hold :)

• Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

Charles said:

Haha nice try!

We had a vote, Leave won

We had a PM who had fronted the Remain campaign, but had committed to seeing through the will of the people either way. He said that he would stay on as PM, and that people could rightly expect A50 to be triggered immediately.

He quit the day after

I don't think you need to look much further for someone to blame.

As it is who is in charge? Nigel Farage? Boris Johnson? Michael Gove? Andrea Leadsome???

Nope, a remainer who oversaw a catastrophic rise in immigration for the last 6 years.

It was all in remainers hands, Cameron could have implemented the result how he saw fit but chose not to. It's your (Remain's) people in charge and the leave side accepted this.

UKIP seem a busted flush, they still have no influence. Every leader is a Remainer! We SHOULD be moaning and sceptical
  • Options
    If Theresa May avoids a harvest failure before the general election, she should be fine.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/835857888035893249
  • Options

BTW, my profile piccie is of me eating breakfast on the bowsprit of the Jeanie Johnston. :)

Good for you. Was there no room down below or was the view spectacular?

• Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Hmmm can you you think of any malignant remainers.

Perhaps someone who threw a huge hissy fit when things didn't go their way?

Leave won. It is they who need to unite the country behind their vision. So far they have conspicuously failed.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@Luckyguy1983

There's really not much I can say to someone who ignores the evidence of their own eyes and ears. We all acknowledge, the report is of a genuine event. Therefore, contrary to your implication, I have no dog in this fight. I am simply sceptical enough about the honesty of large media organisations to believe that it's quite possible that CNN would attempt to manipulate a report, for whatever reason, if they thought they could get away with it.

For you, on the other hand, acknowledging that CNN green-screened this ludicrous footage would shatter your world view. So you pull together a daft 'rebuttal' to try to convince everyone (even yourself?) that it didn't happen.

The camera is filming the reporter from an elevated and distant position. The reporter himself is again, elevated and distant from the surface of the water. The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick. The fact that it's as large as life in the film makes it very clear this is a composite. But do go ahead and continue to disbelieve your own eyes because CNN would never lie to you.
    To say the reporter is in an elevated and distant position, you would need to know the type of boat he is on. Do you?

"The gull should therefore be little more than a pin-prick."

I'd love to see the maths that makes you think that. But to do that, we'd need to identify the type of boat he's on.
  • Options
    Re Labour's problems I think this is very interesting regarding the right 'political tribes' of modern Britain:

http://opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Dead-Centre-British-politics4_lr.pdf

' For Labour, the task seems harder, even without taking into account its ongoing troubles regarding leadership. The groups in the centre, centre-left and left are smaller in aggregate terms and more fissiparous. In particular, the groups on the left are split in relation to immigration, with the Solidarity group of older and poorer voters at odds with the Progressives and Democratic Socialists.

The last time an enduring, successful electoral coalition was assembled from the centre-left was before the increase in immigration which took place in the mid-2000s, and one
    wonders whether another can be put together while the issue of immigration retains its
    current salience. '
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

kjh said:

Good point. Flags and windsocks normally go horizontal at 20-25. Force 4 is up to 15 and that normally produces small waves.

In any case, more than enough to blow hair around unless he has glued it with a can of Harmony No.5 Extra Hold :)

Maybe he did? He wants to look good for the telly!
This discussion has been closed.