Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s loss to the SDP in the Greenwich by-election exactly 30

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB’s loss to the SDP in the Greenwich by-election exactly 30 years ago has lessons for the party today

30 years ago today (roughly), I was pounding the wet streets of Greenwich on a miserable cold Thursday evening. I was doing knock-up for this woman:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I'm claiming first.
  • Options
    "As a Sheffield man had said a few years earlier, that was then but this is now."

Martin Fry of ABC!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What a dunce....has he never heard of using an anonymizing / piracy service for registration?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Hard to disagree with any part of this article. Labour are in a worse position now than in 1982-87, or the Conservatives were in 1997-2003.
  • Options
    A great piece Stodge, though my inner Finbar Saunders kicked in with your opening paragraph
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Hard to disagree with any part of this article. Labour are in a worse position now than in 1982-87, or the Conservatives were in 1997-2003.

Nonsense on stilts, Michael Foot only won 209 seats in 1983!
  • Options

"As a Sheffield man had said a few years earlier, that was then but this is now."

Martin Fry of ABC!

He also said "Can't complain, mustn't grumble, help yourself to another piece of apple crumble".
    Wise words indeed.
  • Options
    This story embarrasses us as a country.

https://twitter.com/emilydugan/status/835894090193592321
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The dude really seems keen on bestiality references
  • Options

Absolutely disgusting!
  • Options
    William_H said:

Scott_P said:
    The dude really seems keen on bestiality references
    That's why I like him.

Far too many politicians speak in anodyne phrases, it is nice to see someone using a few colour metaphors and similes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

Absolutely disgusting!
    Quite amazing, it is embarrassing for us as a country.

Her sister could be a bit more hospitable too!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Interesting piece. I disagree with the diagnosis of the "cardinal error" though. Corbyn would still be electoral poison if he had never said a word about Hamas. It simply doesn't register with most people.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

It is basically depriving dual national families who are on low incomes the right to a family life. Makes me ashamed to be British.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    It might be prudent to hear the whole story on that deportation.

I thought that someone could apply for UK citizenship after five years residence, so am surprised to read that the lady hasn't got it after 30 years.

For information:

You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:

you’re 18 or over
    you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
    you’ll continue to live in the UK
    you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
    you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
    spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
    spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
    had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
    had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document
    not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

• Options
    Baroness Chakrabarti is ridiculed after she WRONGLY blames Copeland defeat on low turnout saying Labour supporters don't have CARS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4261334/Chakrabarti-blames-Copeland-loss-carless-Labour-voters.html

Reminds me of toothpaste-gate...
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Stodge, although I agree with your article your main premise that Labour are in real trouble but it is wrong in the comment that [contact with] "such groups seek to achieve their political objectives through violence and especially when that violence is directed at British people and British military personnel" is unacceptable.

I am not sure what groups currently in contact with Corbyn are advocating such behaviour.? No palestinian groups or Irish groups involved in the peace process advocate violence against UK nationals or UK mil personnel.

The N Ireland peace process was precisely brought about by engagement with PIRA (by the Conservatives & Labour) so your point is a bit off the mark and recycles the usual D mail hysteria.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    chestnut said:

I thought that someone could apply for UK citizenship after five years residence, so am surprised to read that the lady hasn't got it after 30 years.

For information:

you’re 18 or over
    you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years

had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
    had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document

If she is out of the country for more than two years that will kill her entire residence track record and she will be starting from scratch. The article said she went back to SIngapore to care for her elderly parents, so that figures.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

The gov.uk website is a summary of the position but hardly gives the full picture of immigration law.
    People fall down cracks and this appears to be an example of that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Last June an ally of Osborne met with LD leader Tim Farron and Labour MPs to discuss the formation of a new centrist party called 'the Democrats.' Osborne is building links with Lord Mandelson and Mandelson with Clegg and the likes of Tory MP Anna Soubry to build on the success of Macron's centrist 'En Marche' party to try and defeat a hard Brexit
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/835872422792429569
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    @cliveforleader.co.uk and @cliveforleader.org.uk. Oops, banged to rights there me thinks.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

A great piece Stodge, though my inner Finbar Saunders kicked in with your opening paragraph

Thank you, sir, and I obviously had to include the obligatory 80s pop reference.

I was considering comparing Corbyn to Flaccus at the first Battle of Herdonia but that was too obvious for PB.

The first sentence was a problem - "knocking up Rosie Barnes on the streets of Greenwich" might have been misconstrued.

By the way, it's Finbarr, not Finbar, I think you'll find.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited February 2017
    The first and lesser problem is Jeremy Corbyn – now, I have to confess I don’t share the visceral contempt for the man some have. He has however proved himself quite incapable and unsuitable to be Party leader yet alone a prospective Prime Minister.

I actually agree, to some extent. While he causes many additional problems his being elected was a symptom of a problem that already existed, and simple fact is even if he is not worthy of visceral contempt, he is incapable of the role he holds.

Baroness Chakrabarti is ridiculed after she WRONGLY blames Copeland defeat on low turnout saying Labour supporters don't have CARS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4261334/Chakrabarti-blames-Copeland-loss-carless-Labour-voters.html

She's a party robot now, and one who reached for all the lazy and cliched answers to defend her side. Even though she's only been a party member for a short time, she has been in the public eye for a long time, she should be better at this game.
    chestnut said:

It is surprising (though I have a relative in Oz who has been there 40 years without bothering to take citizenship), but if we've allowed someone to stay for 30 years even if they are not a citizen I would hope it would take a lot to justify deportation. I will have to look into the matter to see if this is an unfortunate byproduct of policy, or if the policy itself is seriously unfair. The details can be very important.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

If she is out of the country for more than two years that will kill her entire residence track record and she will be starting from scratch. The article said she went back to SIngapore to care for her elderly parents, so that figures.
    The only reason I was born in India was because mum went back to India to care for her elderly father (my grandfather) while she was pregnant with me, during 1975. He outlived my birth by only a month or so.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

Stodge, although I agree with your article your main premise that Labour are in real trouble but it is wrong in the comment that [contact with] "such groups seek to achieve their political objectives through violence and especially when that violence is directed at British people and British military personnel" is unacceptable.

I am not sure what groups currently in contact with Corbyn are advocating such behaviour.? No palestinian groups or Irish groups involved in the peace process advocate violence against UK nationals or UK mil personnel.

The N Ireland peace process was precisely brought about by engagement with PIRA (by the Conservatives & Labour) so your point is a bit off the mark and recycles the usual D mail hysteria.

Corbyn and McDonnell weren't engaging with the IRA to seek peace. They were acting as their apologists, and advocating capitulation to them.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    On topic - a good read and not much to disagree with.

“Yet Labour’s biggest problem isn’t Corbyn – the much more serious problem is that Labour has nothing to offer in way of a credible alternative prospectus for Government.”

Whilst I largely agree I would say that there are some morsels of comfort for Labour, if they look in the right places and act sensibly.

Firstly, Corbyn is obviously a dud, so it reasonably follows that appointing a leader perceived as competent and not a Londoner would provide an immediate boost.

Secondly, within the usually awful polls there are odd snippets that offer a glimmer of revival if they get the leadership issue right. 28% of SNP voters do not want independence while as many believe Donald Dewar was Scotland’s best ever First Minister as believe Nicola Sturgeon is and far more than believe it of Alex Salmond. That implies latent sympathy for a certain type of Labour in Scotland. Choose accordingly.

Thirdly, the government is approaching a primary surplus and with it the age of austerity will soon cease to be a perceived necessity. Labour governments need money in the pot.

Fourth, the SNP’s independence budget is pipe dreams. Unionism still trumps independence in Scotland.

Fifth, Brexit puts the emphasis on the Tories to develop and implement an immigration plan. Labour can then just pledge to maintain it in essence without ever having been the implementation team.

Sixth, Brexit changes the policy arena so that trade, manufacturing, tax policy on imported produce etc become live issues instead of ‘what can we do- it’s all decided in Brussels’ ones.
    This creates a new area for debate and forward thinking.

So, get the correct personnel in place. The election is three years away. Do not waste it clinging to the past; seize the future and accept what the people have said in referendums. Drop the toxic (North/Inner) London link with key personnel.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No.
    It's not what it seems. Read the weird details. The story initially claims she spent most of her life in Britain blah blah blah, then it says very quietly "she spent the majority of the last 30 years in Singapore"

So the Home Office has judged, very understandably, that she has chosen to make Singapore her true home. Which removes her right to residency here.
    The Buzzfeed article linked in the tweet doesn't say that. It says she has been living in the UK for nearly thirty years and that Mrs Clennell has no real connection with Singapore after the death of her parents.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    Something doesn't quite add up about that story.

She claims she can't live in Singapore because nobody would accept her, but then she has failed the test (and a number of appeals) of being able to show that over the past 30 years she has lived for the majority of the time with her husband i.e. she must have lived in Singapore for significant periods of that time, and not just popped home to look after Mum and Dad for a few months, even few years.

Furthermore, its seems she has been living here illegally for quite a while, as her visitor visa ran out last year, and is surprised that the authorities have now come to deport her. And only after deportation now saying she needs to make another appeal.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Sean_F said:

Nonsense on stilts, Michael Foot only won 209 seats in 1983!
    Labour are very powerful locally and they will continue to be a powerful force in the cities. Un-killable...the Red Cockroach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_make-up_of_local_councils_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Something doesn't quite add up about that story.

She claims she can't live in Singapore because nobody would accept her, but then she has failed the test (and a number of appeals) of being able to show that over the past 30 years she has lived for the majority of the time with her husband i.e. she must have lived in Singapore for significant periods of that time, and not just popped home to look after Mum and Dad for a few months, even few years.

Furthermore, its seems she has been living her illegally, as her visitor visa ran out last year, and is surprised that the authorities a year later have come to deport her. Only after deportation now saying she needs to make another appeal.

it's buzzfeed, don't believe anything they write. sjw bs.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

No. It doesn't.

It indicates we have ruled and apply them equally to all, which is a positive.

It also indicates we are inflexible and unable to adapt to specific circumstances which is a negative.

But not embarrasing
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

Buzzfeed headline:

Woman deported despite spending 30 years in Britain

Actual reality:

"The Home Office told the Sunday Times.... As Mrs Clennell has spent the majority of her life, and her married life, living in Singapore, it is deemed she will not face reintegration issues upon her return."

Buzzfeed is just lying. Fake News strikes again.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-fighting-deportation-from-britain
    Never believe these sob stories from lefty sources are words to live by... and I fell for it!!

The way she was deported sounds a bit harsh though, esp if the old man is ill
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Last June an ally of Osborne met with LD leader Tim Farron and Labour MPs to discuss the formation of a new centrist party called 'the Democrats.' Osborne is building links with Lord Mandelson and Mandelson with Clegg and the likes of Tory MP Anna Soubry to build on the success of Macron's centrist 'En Marche' party to try and defeat a hard Brexit

If it is more than chit chat I will donate £50 to PB server costs the instant they officially form.

It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea for a political realignment, as many have raised on here, but it's so hard, so likely to fail, that actually following through is tough for anyone.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

Perversely the 5 year rule favours those who have not been in the country too long. Applicants have to account for all their foreign trips as part of their application. Fairly easy as a Filipino Nurse applying after 5 years and a couple of trips back. A friend of mine who works for the University and is an EU national has been in Leicester 16 years, and was asked to account for all her foreign trips. These are roughly 20 per year, between visiting her parents and frequent academic conferences. She gave up her application as a result as too much trouble.
  • Options
    Is there a bottom to hit in Scotland for Labour?

Yougov sub sample (I know it is only a cross break) SNP 49%, Tory 23% and LABOUR 11%!!!!!
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Is there a bottom to hit in Scotland for Labour?

Yougov sub sample (I know it is only a cross break) SNP 49%, Tory 23% and LABOUR 11%!!!!!

At the very least YouGov are struggling to find them, that's for sure.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

No.
    It's not what it seems. Read the weird details. The story initially claims she spent most of her life in Britain blah blah blah, then it says very quietly "she spent the majority of the last 30 years in Singapore"

So the Home Office has judged, very understandably, that she has chosen to make Singapore her true home. Which removes her right to residency here.
    The Buzzfeed article linked in the tweet doesn't say that. It says she has been living in the UK for nearly thirty years and that Mrs Clennell has no real connection with Singapore after the death of her parents.
    Buzzfeed is lying. The Home Office has checked her out. She spent many years in Singapore, she overstayed her visa, she never got proper documents, it's all shite. And you bought it.

Buzzfeed is about as reliable as Zerohedge

I am sorry, you gave a direct quotarion that doesn't exist in the article and isn't supported by anything else in the article. I accept it is possible Mrs Clennell is lying and has no real connection with the UK as you claim, but you are not supporting that claim with evidence, while apparently fabricating quotations.
  • Options

Fair comment of course. However, that's not how the vast majority of the British electorate see it. Tell them Ted Heath's Government spoke to the IRA in the early 70s and they won't believe you. Both Sunningdale and Good Friday involved the British Government of the day having to deal with people previously considered beyond the pale (and as you say the Daily Mail regularly churns up the past of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness).

The problem was the relationships Corbyn and others had with PIRA, HAMAS and others in the 1980s and before. This was when these groups were actively using violence to further their political goals and when that violence was directed against British interests. When British MPs are seen to be supporting groups whose modus operandi was violence against British military personnel - that becomes very hard to justify even if Governments had done the same in secret.

You might call it double standards - I would - but it's also realpolitik.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    HYUFD said:

The Democrats? "The Elites" seems more appropriate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

Perversely the 5 year rule favours those who have not been in the country too long. Applicants have to account for all their foreign trips as part of their application. Fairly easy as a Filipino Nurse applying after 5 years and a couple of trips back. A friend of mine who works for the University and is an EU national has been in Leicester 16 years, and was asked to account for all her foreign trips. These are roughly 20 per year, between visiting her parents and frequent academic conferences. She gave up her application as a result as too much trouble.
    If people can't be bothered to keep records of these things, especially as it is obviously going to be relevant for an immigration claim, that is their own problem.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited February 2017
    There is a bit more information about the Irene Clennell case here: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-fighting-deportation-from-britain

As I read it, she lived in Singapore from 1992 until 2013 before returning to the UK. Her British husband gave up work last year due to ill health, so I would guess that they failed the income test.

A very sad case, but maybe not quite what was being reported by Buzzfeed?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    @cliveforleader.co.uk and @cliveforleader.org.uk. Oops, banged to rights there me thinks.
    ... and he's the registrant himself, not some supporter.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2017
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

No.

Buzzfeed is lying. The Home Office has checked her out. She spent many years in Singapore, she overstayed her visa, she never got proper documents, it's all shite. And you bought it.

I am sorry, you gave a direct quotarion that doesn't exist in the article and isn't supported by anything else in the article. I accept it is possible Mrs Clennell is lying and has no real connection with the UK as you claim, but you are not supporting that claim with evidence, while apparently fabricating quotations.
    That's a great point. And a really interesting example of alt-right projection.

"Buzzfeed is lying"

Says the liar.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    LucyJones said:

There is a bit more information about the Irene Clennell case here: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-fighting-deportation-from-britain

As I read it, she lived in Singapore from 1992 until 2013 before returning to the UK. Her British husband gave up work last year due to ill health, so I would guess that they failed the income test.

As I suspected, not as Buzzfeed tried to spin, that she popped home for a few months to look after mum and dad...

Also, it is says she has 3 sisters in Singapore, so again we aren't sending somebody packing with no family...and unless she is a total weirdo, having lived there for many many years, friends as well.

The quote in the buzzfeed article is embarrassingly bullshit, about not being able to live in Singaporean society. You know that one she has lived in for the majority of her life.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

Buzzfeed headline:

Actual reality:

"The Home Office told the Sunday Times.... As Mrs Clennell has spent the majority of her life, and her married life, living in Singapore, it is deemed she will not face reintegration issues upon her return."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singaporean-fighting-deportation-from-britain
    Never believe these sob stories from lefty sources are words to live by... and I fell for it!!

Buzzfeed is not lying, but is telling part of the story, an important distinction. It seems she was in Singapore from 1999-2013 according to Straitstimes.

This is what cutting immigration to tens of thousands means. People voted for it, including TSE, so he shouldn't really be appalled.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Wikipedia 2050

"The democrats were formed in 2017 by a group of people who lost, then refused to accept the outcome of, a democratic vote"
  • Options
    edited February 2017

isam said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

Buzzfeed headline:

Actual reality:

Buzzfeed is not lying, but is telling part of the story, an important distinction. It seems she was in Singapore from 1999-2013 according to Straitstimes.

This is what cutting immigration to tens of thousands means. People voted for it, including TSE, so he shouldn't really be appalled.
    They certainly being very careful with what facts they tell the reader. And even then you have to read really really carefully to get a clue about what the actual history to the story might be.

Lets call it Brietbart-ian.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No.

From what I can gather it looks like a fairly normal story of a dual nationality family. He is a gas engineer and she was working in a hotel. They have lived in both singapore and the UK on and off since 1988 and recently she went back to singapore to look after her parents, thereby losing her 'indefinete leave to remain'. He became ill in 2015 and could not meet the new £18600 per annum income requirement to maintain a spouse in the UK, so notwithstanding the fact that she was his carer and she has a family here in the UK (British children and grandchildren) she is not now entitled to stay here and has been forcibly deported.

There is no judgement involved on the part of the home office, it is simply a case that he cannot support her and so therefore she is ineligible for a visa to stay here. Those are the rules and thats it. There really is no discretion involved on the part of decision makers.

It is quite remarkable and telling that you cannot be sympathetic towards her position.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

I read the article and was entirely unsurprised by the story.

Blair's intervention was a calculated part of it, IMHO.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Fair comment of course. However, that's not how the vast majority of the British electorate see it. Tell them Ted Heath's Government spoke to the IRA in the early 70s and they won't believe you. Both Sunningdale and Good Friday involved the British Government of the day having to deal with people previously considered beyond the pale (and as you say the Daily Mail regularly churns up the past of Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness).

The problem was the relationships Corbyn and others had with PIRA, HAMAS and others in the 1980s and before. This was when these groups were actively using violence to further their political goals and when that violence was directed against British interests. When British MPs are seen to be supporting groups whose modus operandi was violence against British military personnel - that becomes very hard to justify even if Governments had done the same in secret.

Perhaps. The difficulty is that you need to talk to people, even terrorists, to end these conflicts, but you cannot seem eager to do it when they appear to not be in the mood for a negotiated end. I claim no insight into how you can conduct these things, but it seems like it would have to be through backchannels for a very long time before either side is ready to present to all their people that it is time, its why you need good leaders on both sides. So even if you ultimately end up with a situation that was an aim others were arguing for, such as peace, them taking such a stance openly or without sufficient condition would not actually help matters at the time, since they were too eager, and therefore supportive of a deal that would not be acceptable to their own citizens, thus counter intuitively making an actual deal less likely.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited February 2017
    nielh said:

SeanT said:

No.

From what I can gather it looks like a fairly normal story of a dual nationality family. He is a gas engineer and she was working in a hotel. They have lived in both singapore and the UK on and off since 1988 and recently she went back to singapore to look after her parents, thereby losing her 'indefinete leave to remain'. He became ill in 2015 and could not meet the new £18600 per annum income requirement to maintain a spouse in the UK, so notwithstanding the fact that she was his carer and she has a family here in the UK (British children and grandchildren) she is not now entitled to stay here and has been forcibly deported.

There is no judgement involved on the part of the home office, it is simply a case that he cannot support her and so therefore she is ineligible for a visa to stay here. Those are the rules and thats it. There really is no discretion involved on the part of decision makers.

It is quite remarkable and telling that you cannot be sympathetic towards her position.
    According to the Strait Times article she didn't live in the UK at all between 1992 and 2013. Hardly on and off.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

LucyJones said:

As I suspected, not as Buzzfeed tried to spin, that she popped home for a few months to look after mum and dad...

Also, it is says she has 3 sisters in Singapore, so again we aren't sending somebody packing with no family...and unless she is a total weirdo, having lived there for many many years, friends as well.

The quote in the buzzfeed article is embarrassingly bullshit, about not being able to live in Singaporean society. You know that one she has lived in for the majority of her life.
    The real shameful viral fake news bullshit is the Buzzfeed headline. They clearly know it is a lie, she hasn't spent 30 years "living in Britain" but they knew that headline it would invite and titillate readers, so they went for it anyway. This fake news stuff is becoming a real danger to politics. And yes, I know it comes from the right just as much as the left.
    And of course when somebody tw@tters it or pins it on Facebook, that is what they will see.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

That does seem really harsh.

Mate of mines brother and family moved to Florida many years back, they had a successful business and they had been there for more years than I remember.

Then he was told he and his son had to go to US embassy in London for a meeting - details are hazy now as this happened years back but I don't think he had a clue what would happen next.

He was told he and his son could not live in States and were not even allowed back to help wife and daughter sell business / house and move back.

The kids were high school age at this time and found it a huge wrench.

• Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

If people can't be bothered to keep records of these things, especially as it is obviously going to be relevant for an immigration claim, that is their own problem.
    She had no intention of applying for a British passport until the Brexit vote, and only wanted one as a safeguard post Brexit. She has two children at Uni (one a Med Student) so was planning to stay here at least until retirement, possibly permanently depending on where they settle.

• Options

Reminds me of toothpaste-gate...

She has a point we need postal voting... oh
  • Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

She had no intention of applying for a British passport until the Brexit vote, and only wanted one as a safeguard post Brexit. She has two children at Uni (one a Med Student) so was planning to stay here at least until retirement, possibly permanently depending on where they settle.

This story has the square root of f##k all to do with Brexit...
  • Options

Take a look at stop the war on top of everything else Corbyn has been involved in
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed and curiously enough 'the Democrats' would unite Osbornites, Blairites and Cleggites and on PB the likes of OGH and TSE and Southam Observer and William Glenn and Alistair Meeks and Kle4 in one party!
  • Options
    Floater said:

That does seem really harsh.

Mate of mines brother and family moved to Florida many years back, they had a successful business and they had been there for more years than I remember.

Then he was told he and his son had to go to US embassy in London for a meeting - details are hazy now as this happened years back but I don't think he had a clue what would happen next.

He was told he and his son could not live in States and were not even allowed back to help wife and daughter sell business / house and move back.

The kids were high school age at this time and found it a huge wrench.

Good Lord. A friend of mine had exactly the same experience. He had a hotel in Sarasota, could it be the same bloke?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No.

Ah, a very different slant
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Wikipedia 2050

"The democrats were formed in 2017 by a group of people who lost, then refused to accept the outcome of, a democratic vote"
    The story in the tweet says they want to frustrate a hard brexit, which was not the result of a democratic vote (though it might well win one - and certainly would if the options were stay in or hard brexit - and was an acknowledged potential outcome). It might be the case they would also like, if possible, to actively prevent any Brexit, in fact I think we know some of them at least would if they could, and that would indeed be refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic vote (though an unpopular if legitimate political position to take), but the snippet in the tweet is not in fact about refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic vote. In fact, it is the opposite, as it is attempting to work to the letter of the democratic vote while still trying to get as much of what they want out of it. Which may be unpopular and sneaky, but is actually accepting the outcome, unless the bit behind the paywall is that they also are fighting to prevent Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

No.

Read to the end:

On the basis of her own admissions it looks like she spent maybe 20 of those 30 years "living in Britain", actually "living in Singapore". Lol.
    My apologies. That article does give a different angle. To be fair to Mrs Clennell it does look like the reason why she was out of the UK for so long was because the UKBA kept refusing her admittance over more than a decade.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If it is more than chit chat I will donate £50 to PB server costs the instant they officially form.

It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea for a political realignment, as many have raised on here, but it's so hard, so likely to fail, that actually following through is tough for anyone.
    It sounds like a combination of the SDP and the pro Euro Conservatives!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    The biggest issue with Corbyn and McDonnell talking to the IRA is that they didn't talk to the loyalist paramilitaries. They weren't interested in negotiating peace, they wanted the IRA to win.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Osborne
    Mandelson
    Clegg

Contenders for the most detested trio in British politics.
  • Options
    People can slip through the cracks of a policy and be deserving of sympathy, while the policy itself may still be worthwhile overall of course. I don't know what to think on this one yet.
  • Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

expand the previous comments. I was referring to an Academic friend in Leicester.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

nielh said:

SeanT said:

No.

But then I also feel sorry for myself, quite a lot of the time.
    All that foreign travel, luxury food and bestseller success getting to you? :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017

RobD said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

expand the previous comments. I was referring to an Academic friend in Leicester.
    Apologises...bloody blockquotes...lady who has been deported also has two kids.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Labour up 4.4 pts, Tories down 23.6 pts in this election.

A 14 pt Tory -> Labour swing, far above the 8.1 average for the 83-87 parliament.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Osborne
    Mandelson
    Clegg

Yes and all Blairites in one way or another
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

I read the article and was entirely unsurprised by the story.

Blair's intervention was a calculated part of it, IMHO.
    It's all well and good, those popular fellows, Blair, Osborne and this other chap - Fallon I think his name is - forming their own party. But who's going to vote for them?

The Lib Dems are already the party of metropolitan elite remain ultras. The "Democrats" would be neither the party of patriotic conservatism nor the party of socialism red in tooth and claw. They would be the party of continuity "carry on folks, neoliberalism's fine", a viewpoint which has received a monumental stuffing in the UK and beyond the last few years. It would be a party to which everyone is invited but no-one comes.

I could imagine there being space in the FPTP system for a party firmly behind the views of bellwether constituencies like Nuneaton etc. But the risibly named "Democrat" party of Blair, Osborne and other continuity remainers ain't it.

• Options
    A great piece from Stodge.

I think the second paragraph is a bit vague about the third party in the Greenwich by-election.

The Conservatives had finished a close second in Greenwich in 1983:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_by-election,_1987

and if Guy Barnett had lived a few more months Greenwich might well have been a Conservative gain at the 1987 general election.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed and curiously enough 'the Democrats' would unite Osbornites, Blairites and Cleggites and on PB the likes of OGH and TSE and Southam Observer and William Glenn and Alistair Meeks and Kle4 in one party!
    Could the stratosphere survive such a heaven shattering event?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Perhaps. The difficulty is that you need to talk to people, even terrorists, to end these conflicts, but you cannot seem eager to do it when they appear to not be in the mood for a negotiated end. I claim no insight into how you can conduct these things, but it seems like it would have to be through backchannels for a very long time before either side is ready to present to all their people that it is time, its why you need good leaders on both sides. So even if you ultimately end up with a situation that was an aim others were arguing for, such as peace, them taking such a stance openly or without sufficient condition would not actually help matters at the time, since they were too eager, and therefore supportive of a deal that would not be acceptable to their own citizens, thus counter intuitively making an actual deal less likely.

It's not easy and I have nothing but admiration for men like Sadat and Shamir who tried to break the cycle of violence and conflict and paid the ultimate price.

Nixon, Brandt and others sought to change the rules of the game - both John Major and Tony Blair, along with Bill Clinton, deserve credit for trying to bring a lasting peace to Ulster. Some feel they bent over too far to appease Sinn Fein, perhaps, but they tried.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    @stodge

Good header. While the SDP precedent is not good, a new "Democrats" would be a different kettle of fish. This is not 1981, and the Unions have not the strength they did then, and Corbyn is not as electable as Foot.

I could see it working, but only if over half the PLP moved over, a handful of defectors is neither here nor there.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Osborne
    Mandelson
    Clegg

What's wrong with people of like mind talking to each other ? I doubt anyone is seriously interested in a new Party but forming a campaign group whose aim is to try to persuade the Government to adopt a different line during the A50 negotiations - I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

It's not easy and I have nothing but admiration for men like Sadat and Shamir who tried to break the cycle of violence and conflict and paid the ultimate price.

Nixon, Brandt and others sought to change the rules of the game - both John Major and Tony Blair, along with Bill Clinton, deserve credit for trying to bring a lasting peace to Ulster. Some feel they bent over too far to appease Sinn Fein, perhaps, but they tried.

I don't know how people can do it, as to make a lasting peace individuals will miss out on justice, as crimes all over are passed over in the interests of stopping more occurring in a struggle. I really hope for Columbia, as President Santos and his rebel counterparts really seem to have tried hard to find an end. He seemed a worthy winner of a Nobel prize, though I suppose time will tell.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

@stodge

Good header. While the SDP precedent is not good, a new "Democrats" would be a different kettle of fish. This is not 1981, and the Unions have not the strength they did then, and Corbyn is not as electable as Foot.

I could see it working, but only if over half the PLP moved over, a handful of defectors is neither here nor there.

Would only fill a chasm if such a chasm existed. Mrs May has tanks over the sensible centre (those not fixated on June 2016) as well as being an acceptable One Nation Tory.

The worst thing for Labour is turpor. They'd do better to die quickly than hang around as a rump...
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

Sadat and Rabin, surely?
  • Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

chestnut said:

For information:

you’re 18 or over

lived in the UK for

Apologises...bloody blockquotes...lady who has been deported also has two kids.
    She is fine for present of course, and most likely indefinitely, but is now reasonably likely to move back to the EU sooner rather than later. She is bewildered by Brexit. It would be a pity as she is very eminent.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    stodge said:

Excellent article, thank you.
  • Options
    Osborne, Clegg and Mandelson?

The "Yes it's true, we are all the same" Party.

• Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Osborne
    Mandelson
    Clegg

What's wrong with people of like mind talking to each other ? I doubt anyone is seriously interested in a new Party but forming a campaign group whose aim is to try to persuade the Government to adopt a different line during the A50 negotiations - I see nothing wrong with that.
    There's nothing wrong with people talking or campaigning.

But if you want to create a new party having some of the most unpopular politicians leading it isn't a good idea.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

@stodge

Would only fill a chasm if such a chasm existed. Mrs May has tanks over the sensible centre (those not fixated on June 2016) as well as being an acceptable One Nation Tory.

The worst thing for Labour is turpor. They'd do better to die quickly than hang around as a rump...
    May is not a Centrist now, even if she were once. She is a political chameleon who has changed her colours to avoid standing out.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    LucyJones said:

The interesting thing was that she apparently made repeated applications from 1999 until 2013 to return but they were turned down. There's something we don't know going on.
  • Options

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Sadat and Rabin, surely?
    Yes, of course. Apologies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Wikipedia 2050

The story in the tweet says they want to frustrate a hard brexit, which was not the result of a democratic vote (though it might well win one - and certainly would if the options were stay in or hard brexit - and was an acknowledged potential outcome). It might be the case they would also like, if possible, to actively prevent any Brexit, in fact I think we know some of them at least would if they could, and that would indeed be refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic vote (though an unpopular if legitimate political position to take), but the snippet in the tweet is not in fact about refusing to accept the outcome of a democratic vote. In fact, it is the opposite, as it is attempting to work to the letter of the democratic vote while still trying to get as much of what they want out of it. Which may be unpopular and sneaky, but is actually accepting the outcome, unless the bit behind the paywall is that they also are fighting to prevent Brexit.
    There were two democratic votes, one elected a Tory govt, the other voted to Leave the EU. Now it is for the govt to implement the second decision however it sees fit
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Was it Marques de Casa Concha you were impressed by ?

Asda has it for sale at £8 a bottle for the Cabernet Sauvignon.

• Options
    We aren't traffic wardens. If this woman has two kids and a husband here, she should be able to stay with them. There are plenty of people that should be deported that haven't been, including convicted rapists and people who want to kill us w terrorism. Some compassion should be shown here I think
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

@stodge

The key is whether there is an appetite of an overtly pro-REMAIN Party. Given at least a third and perhaps more of Conservative voters and a good number of Labour supporters voted REMAIN, the "potential" for a pro-REMAIN party is clear.

That would leave the Conservatives, Labour and UKIP scrapping over the LEAVE vote while the Democrats sailed to a landslide in 2020.

Perhaps not...but it would be May's nightmare.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    SeanT said:

Apology accepted.

As I said below, I do personally feel sorry for her. But you can't make, bend or apply law, especially immigration law, because you feel sorry for people.

I feel for sorry for tens of millions of people living in Zimbabwe, or Somalia, or Syria, or Egypt. That doesn't mean we should bend the law so they can all come and live in the UK.

A perceived risk of overstaying your visa is a huge immigration red flag. I wonder whether that was the reason for the UKBA repeatedly refusing her visa. It's a Catch-22 because obviously her whole aim was to move to the UK, but the visas applied for would be temporary.

Your point about not making or bending law is a fair one, but immigration is totally arbitrary in practice. Some others would be allowed in under essentially the same circumstances.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

nielh said:

SeanT said:

No.

She has spent most of her life, and most of her married life, in Singapore. She has no legal right to stay in Britain. So, after due legal process, she has been deported to her actual home, Singapore.

It's not a story to delight the ages, it is the law being applied without fear or favour. As it must.

The Buzzfeed bullshit is just depressing.

On a personal level I do feel sorry for her. But then I also feel sorry for myself, quite a lot of the time. It is irrelevant.
    So is your standpoint that you agree with every law however bizarre and inhumane the consequences are? Just because it is the law and must be applied without fear or favour? There are lots of stories going around with similar outcomes, this is not even a particularly unusual case.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

We aren't traffic wardens. If this woman has two kids and a husband here, she should be able to stay with them. There are plenty of people that should be deported that haven't been, including convicted rapists and people who want to kill us w terrorism. Some compassion should be shown here I think

As Charles points out, there is clearly even more to this story. 14 years of being rejected, even during Blair / Brown shall we say extremely relaxed attitude to immigration years and well before the income cap that Buzzfeed try to tie this case to.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    stodge said:

Mortimer said:

@stodge

The key is whether there is an appetite of an overtly pro-REMAIN Party. Given at least a third and perhaps more of Conservative voters and a good number of Labour supporters voted REMAIN, the "potential" for a pro-REMAIN party is clear.

That would leave the Conservatives, Labour and UKIP scrapping over the LEAVE vote while the Democrats sailed to a landslide in 2020.

Perhaps not...but it would be May's nightmare.

The SNP and Labour Remain vote is full of people who love a George Osborne budget. :smiley:

Focus on the next battle - how a post-independence UK will function.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Wikipedia 2050

The story in the
    There were two democratic votes, one elected a Tory govt, the other voted to Leave the EU. Now it is for the govt to implement the second decision however it sees fit
    Yes, and people are free to argue they should implement it another way. I voted Leave and would not support reversing that decision - I don't see the evidence that could justify that - but my point was Hard Brexit was a governmental choice post referendum, not a certain option as part of the referendum (in the sense of us being balloted about it). There was no democratic public vote on Hard Brexit - it doesn't require one - so it is demonstrably untrue to say campaigning against Hard Brexit is against the democratic vote, unless they also campaign to prevent Brexit, which would go against the democratic vote

Your bringing up the vote for a tory government would suggest anyone arguing against government policy is going against a democratic vote, which cannot have been the intention, otherwise it would be undemocratic to have an opposition! Were you assuming I was saying the Hard Brexit choice was undemocratic? Because it wasn't and isn't. It was an option open to government. Why is it undemocratic for people to try to make the government make a different choice on that, while we still leave?

As long as we do leave, the democratic vote has been followed. Any form of leave is therefore on the table. The government has decided Hard Brexit is the best form (not to mention the easiest to achieve). They may or may not be right about that. The public as a whole might not like certain forms of leave. But if we're out, we're out, regardless of the form.
  • Options

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Osborne
    Mandelson
    Clegg

There's nothing wrong with people talking or campaigning.

But if you want to create a new party having some of the most unpopular politicians leading it isn't a good idea.
    Proves Galloway and Fsrage right though. The 2015 parties were three cheeks of the same arse
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

Wikipedia 2050

The story in the
    Yes, and people are free to argue they should implement it another way. I voted Leave and would not support reversing that decision - I don't see the evidence that could justify that - but my point was Hard Brexit was a governmental choice post referendum, not a certain option as part of the referendum (in the sense of us being balloted about it). There was no democratic public vote on Hard Brexit - it doesn't require one - so it is demonstrably untrue to say campaigning against Hard Brexit is against the democratic vote, unless they also campaign to prevent Brexit, which would go against the democratic vote

Your bringing up the vote for a tory government would suggest anyone arguing against government policy is going against a democratic vote, which cannot have been the intention, otherwise it would be undemocratic to have an opposition! Were you assuming I was saying the Hard Brexit choice was undemocratic? Because it wasn't and isn't. It was an option open to government. Why is it undemocratic for people to try to make the government make a different choice on that, while we still leave?
    Hard brexit is an invention of people who will try to stop us leaving
This discussion has been closed.