Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another way of looking at how the parties are doing – how succ

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2017 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another way of looking at how the parties are doing – how successful they are at fundraising

LAB pushed into 3rd place in the Q4 2016 party donation totals from @ElectoralCommUK . UKIP got just £33k. CON top pic.twitter.com/k6ufeXHbVj

Read the full story here

Comments

• PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited March 2017
    First. And very interesting that the Lib Dems are starting to catch up with the Tories in terms of funding. I had a feeling that the business community would go off the Conservatives, once they saw what a mess Mrs May is making of the economy. Very fortunate that there is an alternative party with experience of being in government recently, and making a success of it.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    There's something screwy with the SNP figures. They are an extremely well funded party. How do they come last after the English "Democrats"?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So if UKIP have no money, are getting rid of their only MP and their MEPs disappear in 2019, what's left of the party?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    PClipp said:

First. And very interesting that the Lib Dems are starting to catch up with the Tories in terms of funding. I had a feeling that the business community would go off the Conservatives, once they saw what a mess Mrs May is making of the economy. Very fortunate that there is an alternative party with experience of being in government recently, and making a success of it.

I see the LDs are still troughing it in from the taxpayer :)
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    PClipp said:

More likely Remain donors than what you suggest about the economy.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited March 2017
    FF43 said:

There's something screwy with the SNP figures. They are an extremely well funded party. How do they come last after the English "Democrats"?

Yes. The SNP figure is errm "interesting"
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    PClipp said:

How much of the funds raised by the LibDems do you get paid to write this guff? Just curious....
    Jason said:

PClipp said:

More likely Remain donors than what you suggest about the economy.
    Quite - and obviously with a lot more money than sense given that Brexit is a done deal. Still lost causes and the LDs are nothing new - PR anyone?

PClipp said:

How much of the funds raised by the LibDems do you get paid to write this guff? Just curious....
    Be careful. I used the words "vapid bilge" in a similar context and I've never heard the end of it.
    edited March 2017
    And the SNP got £4,165 in donations. Really? I wouldn't want to perpetuate the myth of Scotsmen having deep pockets and short arms, but that is an extraordinary number.
  • Sleazy broken Labour, UKIP, and the SNP on the slide.

So UKIP want to kick out their only MP, that'll help with the funding problems.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT

At his Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing in January, Sessions was asked by Democratic Senator Al Franken what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign, the Post reported.

"I’m not aware of any of those activities," Sessions responded, according to the Post.

He added: "I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-disclose-russia-contacts-report-170302041900080.html

That's clearly linking "being called a surrogate" to "communications with the Russians".
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

And the SNP got £4,165 in donations. Really? I wouldn't want to perpetuate the myth of Scotsmen having deep pockets and short arms, but that is an extraordinary number.

They did get that largish cheque from the lottery winning nats a while back.
    Perhaps that is tiding them over for a long while ?

Having thought about this, I came to the conclusion that the money that the SNP would otherwise be collecting is presumably being diverted elsewhere.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,732

So if UKIP have no money, are getting rid of their only MP and their MEPs disappear in 2019, what's left of the party?

I agree they are in bad shape, but Arron Banks donated £7.5m to leave.eu instead last year, which amounts to the same thing
  • I'd also not get too concerned by the low SNP figures.

They had a Scottish Parliament campaign and a referendum to finance, one year after a general election campaign, donor fatigue might be an issue.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    FF43 said:

It's donations over £1,500. I've never donated that amount or anything close to a political party, and don't know anyone who has.
  • Charles said:

FPT

At his Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing in January, Sessions was asked by Democratic Senator Al Franken what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign, the Post reported.

"I’m not aware of any of those activities," Sessions responded, according to the Post.

He added: "I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/03/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-disclose-russia-contacts-report-170302041900080.html

That's clearly linking "being called a surrogate" to "communications with the Russians".
    I think the Trump campaign are being hoisted by their own petard.

Sessions could have avoided this mess by being clear and disclosing his meetings.

Now at best he looks shifty, at worst...

Sleazy broken Labour, UKIP, and the SNP on the slide.

Can only assume that what pass for sane heads in UKIP have actually prevailed and so Carswell stays.

For now. Doesn't exactly make for a happy house though.

Charles said:

FPT

Sessions could have avoided this mess by being clear and disclosing his meetings.

It's a hatchet job. He was asked a question and he answered it. If he was asked for a list of all meetings he had had I am sure he would have disclosed it.
  • BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    @MorrisDancer FPT

You are pushing against the tide. Cash is already banned in several places – as you would know if you had ever been to London (try catching a bus and paying with cash!). It may be the same in Leeds, I don't know?

Having thought about this, I came to the conclusion that the money that the SNP would otherwise be collecting is presumably being diverted elsewhere.
    Legal defence funds?

• Sleazy broken Labour, UKIP, and the SNP on the slide.

Can only assume that what pass for sane heads in UKIP have actually prevailed and so Carswell stays.

For now. Doesn't exactly make for a happy house though.
    I've got a very clickbaitish insightful piece coming up on that subject this weekend.
  • Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

It's a hatchet job. He was asked a question and he answered it. If he was asked for a list of all meetings he had had I am sure he would have disclosed it.
    If it was a hatchet job, then he wouldn't have offered to recuse himself.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The difference between the amount of private v public funding received by political parties is surely down to 'short money' and which the party in power is not entitled to?
    The SNP figures on here are 100% wrong. That figure is the equivalent of one day's donation by a Scottish–American magnate. I suspect there is a misplaced decimal place in Mike's chart.
  • And the SNP got £4,165 in donations. Really? I wouldn't want to perpetuate the myth of Scotsmen having deep pockets and short arms, but that is an extraordinary number.

Indyref 2?

Indyref 2?
    Or some pressure group that can act as an outrider for that. I'd be looking for campaign groups called things like "Scotland for Scotland".
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,725
    Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

You are pushing against the tide. Cash is already banned in several places – as you would know if you had ever been to London (try catching a bus and paying with cash!). It may be the same in Leeds, I don't know?

Does one have to pay on buses? I must be getting even older, and forgetful!

'tis true.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/levelling-the-field#/
  • AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Charles said:

FPT

The interview in question is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC_Ea3jgANo

The bit we are all arguing about is from 3:25 onwards on that video.

He is going to to have to paddle pretty damn hard to sell that as a misunderstanding.

Yes - i thought it seemed very high too :)
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, my fellow dystopian worker-slaves.

Small margin, but a nice morale booster for the yellows.

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

I don't know how old you are OKC but if you are 65+ pensioners ride free!
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

Charles said:

FPT

He is going to to have to paddle pretty damn hard to sell that as a misunderstanding.
    The striking thing is... He didn't really need to go there. Franken wasn't really asking about him - but he brought himself into the question and then said something untrue.

Sleazy broken Labour, UKIP, and the SNP on the slide.

‘Cut', ‘nose' and ‘face' come to mind
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Bojabob said:

The SNP figures on here are 100% wrong. That figure is the equivalent of one day's donation by a Scottish–American magnate. I suspect there is a misplaced decimal place in Mike's chart.

Those are Electoral Commission charts.

'tis true.

JK Rowling has now switched sides though I believe?
  • Interesting to see that (in percentage terms) the SNP is more dependent on the taxpayer than even Labour.
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

Irony/sarcasm doesn’t often work in print, does it!
    Bojabob said:

Although it is worth checking the small print. Donations under 7500 to the central party are not included, so you could have thousands of 20 quid donations by direct debit, and thousands more dropped in the collecting tin, and not show a single pound.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Barely worth bribing, are they?
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2017
    The Green party lost deposit contingency fund is looking a tad shaky, don’t think they can afford too many more Labour by–elections…
  • Charles said:

FPT

Thank you for that link.

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

If it was a hatchet job, then he wouldn't have offered to recuse himself.
    You can't draw that conclusion. He may have decided a tactical retreat is best.
    Bojabob said:

'tis true.

Hmm, not seen any real evidence of that. She's very anti Brexit & Trump but I think she still holds to the Union as the primary cradle of progress and stability, current events notwithstanding.
    This:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27228971

would give a powerful incentive for getting some well-funded campaign groups going now.

Bojabob said:

'tis true.

Hmm, not seen any real evidence of that. She's very anti Brexit & Trump but I think she still holds to the Union as the primary cradle of progress and stability, current events notwithstanding.
    Actually google tells me that she is actually saying that Brexit will lead to Scots Indy rather than she supports that outcome. Might be persuadable though!

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

Oh whoops. Sorry :)
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

FPT

The striking thing is... He didn't really need to go there. Franken wasn't really asking about him - but he brought himself into the question and then said something untrue.
    Even stranger, Al Franken is a comic from SNL, Jeff Sessions is a J.D, former US Attorney for Alabama, former US District Court Judge - you would think he would know when to keep his mouth shut.

Bojabob said:

Although it is worth checking the small print. Donations under 7500 to the central party are not included, so you could have thousands of 20 quid donations by direct debit, and thousands more dropped in the collecting tin, and not show a single pound.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. That's important to know.
    edited March 2017

This:

would give a powerful incentive for getting some well-funded campaign groups going now.

Scotland in Union are already going, employing an ex SLabber as chairman for £50k p.a. for 1.5 days a week of work; they seem to have access to substantial funds already.

http://www.scotlandinunion.co.uk/
    David Tennant has switched sides to Scots Indy however.

JK Rowling can't be far from making the leap.

This:

Scotland in Union are already going, employing an ex SLabber as chairman for £50k for 1.5 days a week of work; they seem to have access to substantial funds already.

Oh I'm certainly not suggesting that this will be limited to one side or the other.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

This:

Scotland in Union are already going, employing an ex SLabber as chairman for £50k for 1.5 days a week of work; they seem to have access to substantial funds already.

The European Union I presume?
    Bojabob said:

Lulu's hanging by a thread.
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

No worries.
    I’ve been using a bus pass for nearly 14 years now, and TBH find it very useful. Unless I’m going somewhere the bus doesn’t, or where there’s a triangular route involving two buses I now don’t often use a car. And there’s a route directly from about 200m away directly to both the local hospital and the county cricket ground. Which, given the parking issues at both, is a blessing.

Bojabob said:

Like a puppet on a string? Or was that someone else?
    edited March 2017

Bojabob said:

Sandie Shaw. Eurovision 1967 I believe.

EDIT: Eurovision winner. quarante-sept point.
    Mr. Bojabob, that just seems inexplicable to me.

The vote was only two and a half years ago. The only major change since is the EU vote. Power flows to the EU centre. In UK devolution, it's flowed away from the centre to Holyrood.

If you want independence, then a desire for the EU over the UK just seems bonkers to me. I know lots of Yes types don't care about joining the EU, but it sounds like most are in favour.

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

No worries.
    I’ve been using a bus pass for nearly 14 years now, and TBH find it very useful. Unless I’m going somewhere the bus doesn’t, or where there’s a triangular route involving two buses I now don’t often use a car. And there’s a route directly from about 200m away directly to both the local hospital and the county cricket ground. Which, given the parking issues at both, is a blessing.
    Spending one's retirement watching the noble game is indeed a blessing, OKC.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

It's not - and rightly so.

Bojabob said:

EDIT: Eurovision winner.
    Ah, thanks!
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

The Green party lost deposit contingency fund is looking a tad shaky, don’t think they can afford too many more Labour by–elections…

They stand a fighting chance in Gorton. I think it'll be the first ever by-election that the Greens have gone into in second place.
    Bojabob said:

Actually google tells me that she is actually saying that Brexit will lead to Scots Indy rather than she supports that outcome. Might be persuadable though!

Which is why there is a serious risk of the next referendum going for independence. Not that the case for it has improved - the opposite actually - but because there will be very few people arguing for the Union. The Conservatives will, but they only make up a quarter of the electorate even with their recent surge.

As someone who supports both unions for essentially the same reason, it sucks.

• Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This is a splendid piece from Atul Hatwal on the Labour leadership, thinking just like a political punter should:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/03/02/how-labours-potential-leadership-candidates-measure-up-against-member-priorities/#more-21396
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780

They stand a fighting chance in Gorton. I think it'll be the first ever by-election that the Greens have gone into in second place.
    They won't come out that way. The next generation of students seem to have forgiven (or are just ignorant) the Lib Dems for you know what. Their vote collapsed in 2015 and can bounce back a long way on this factor alone. Not that they will get close to Labour of course.

The vote was only two and a half years ago. The only major change since is the EU vote. Power flows to the EU centre. In UK devolution, it's flowed away from the centre to Holyrood.

If you want independence, then a desire for the EU over the UK just seems bonkers to me. I know lots of Yes types don't care about joining the EU, but it sounds like most are in favour.

The fact that people like you find it bonkers one of the main reasons why Scottish independence is becoming inevitable. Being a sovereign member of a confederation is very different constitutionally from being a devolved region of a unitary state.

This:

The European Union I presume?
    Well, in a round about way..
    FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

Which is why there is a serious risk of the next referendum going for independence. Not that the case for it has improved - the opposite actually - but because there will be very few people arguing for the Union. The Conservatives will, but they only make up a quarter of the electorate even with their recent surge.

Apparently around a third of SNP voters are Leave voters which gives her something of a tactical problem.

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

It's not - and rightly so.
    It's saved lots of time in London with people faffing around with change. You can get a card and charge it up or – better – just pay contactless. It's coming!
    Mr. Herdson, don't go into Leeds much, but when I do I pay the bus fare in cash.

Don't have a mobile, so I'd be less than impressed if I needed apps or other such bullshit just to travel by bus.

I'm not against technological progress. E-books (especially old, free ones) are great, and the use of Wikipedia and other sources have made researching things a lot easier.

But not everything is best served by trying to make it electronic. Voting is one such example, and making payment electronic-only is something I'm also dead against.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,267
    I don't think the figures include membership fees, which has been the main driver enabling Labour to sort out its finances, and which currently certanily dwarf the LibDem and I think the Tory revenue. The figures here are for separate, explicit donations above the threshold level.
    edited March 2017

FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

Apparently around a third of SNP voters are Leave voters which gives her something of a tactical problem.
    Not really. Independence for Scotland is the key issue for them.

Extra bit: the passionate Remainers in Scotland are to be found in the entrails of Scottish Labour. The Scottish WWC have moved to the SNP
    F1: not much running today on the artificially wet track.
    FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

It's notable that the people who switched to Brexit on the basis that Dave's Deal didn't meet their expectations for reforming the EU are so silent about the pressing need for much deeper constitutional reform of the UK if we want to have any hope of preserving the union. Instead they seem to have brought into the '100% of sovereignty must lie in Westminster' argument wholesale.
    edited March 2017

I don't think the figures include membership fees, which has been the main driver enabling Labour to sort out its finances, and which currently certanily dwarf the LibDem and I think the Tory revenue. The figures here are for separate, explicit donations above the threshold level.

In effect if you are essentially a grassroots based organisation your accounts are going to be very simple. You can take any number of donations from ordinary people of the couple of hundred, or even a thousand quid, and not have to account for it. If on the other hand you get your money from a few big donors, people will rightly want to know who they are.
    Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

Bojabob said:

@MorrisDancer FPT

No worries.
    Spending one's retirement watching the noble game is indeed a blessing, OKC.
    Yup, season starts in about a month. Not sure when our local club starts theirs, but that’s walking distance.

Mr. Herdson, don't go into Leeds much, but when I do I pay the bus fare in cash.

Don't have a mobile, so I'd be less than impressed if I needed apps or other such bullshit just to travel by bus.

I'm not against technological progress. E-books (especially old, free ones) are great, and the use of Wikipedia and other sources have made researching things a lot easier.

But not everything is best served by trying to make it electronic. Voting is one such example, and making payment electronic-only is something I'm also dead against.

You don;t need an app or a phone to pay for buses (or tubes), although you can use ApplePay if you so choose. You just tap your debit card on the reader. It's far better than a cash-based system which wastes lots of time with people faffing around with change and causes bottlenecks at ticket machines.

Thankfully those days are behind us here. You will see the light soon enough.

The fact that people like you find it bonkers one of the main reasons why Scottish independence is becoming inevitable. Being a sovereign member of a confederation is very different constitutionally from being a devolved region of a unitary state.
    Yes, well put.

FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

It's notable that the people who switched to Brexit on the basis that Dave's Deal didn't meet their expectations for reforming the EU are so silent about the pressing need for much deeper constitutional reform of the UK if we want to have any hope of preserving the union. Instead they seem to have brought into the '100% of sovereignty must lie in Westminster' argument wholesale.
    Not true. They just don't want to the sort of idiotic vandalism that people like Blair thought was a good idea. I would support a proper federal UK, with a UK federal parliament, and devolved assemblies including one for England.

Bojabob said:

EDIT: Eurovision winner. quarante-sept point.
    One of the better spoofs I saw was the relationship between the Tories and the LibDems set to the tune of "I didn't promise you a rose garden" by Sandie Shaw
    Mr. Glenn, yes, but the UK has been devolving ever more power to Scotland over the last two decades, during which time the EU has been taking ever more power from its member states.

And that's without considering the eurozone. Do Scots want to join the euro? It's a funny sort of independence that involves handing Frankfurt control of your monetary policy.

Sturgeon bleats about losing single market access, but the (non-Scottish) UK single market is worth four times more to Scotland. It's like complaining you've lost a toe, and prescribing cutting your foot off as the answer.

Were all those three-quidders worth it though, Nick?

:naughty:
    Mr. Indigo, indeed. An English Parliament would answer the West Lothian Question without disadvantaging any part of the UK.
    DavidL said:

They won't come out that way. The next generation of students seem to have forgiven (or are just ignorant) the Lib Dems for you know what. Their vote collapsed in 2015 and can bounce back a long way on this factor alone. Not that they will get close to Labour of course.
    My recently graduated grandchildren are much less exercised about their loan situations than might be expected. One of them now teaches what Mr Llama and I call VIth formers and tells them not to worry about it. It’s paid off slowly and only starts being paid, for most people, a couple of years after graduating.
    And no, neither their parents nor myself gave them massive handouts.

FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

Because - at least on here - it end up in a sterile debate with the Nats.

But if someone were to come up with a well thought through plan for a federal UK, I'd be supportive (even, probably to @Morris_Dancer 's disgust) supporting the re-creation of Wessex, Mercia, London, East Anglia and Northumbria as states.
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

Because - at least on here - it end up in a sterile debate with the Nats.

But if someone were to come up with a well thought through plan for a federal UK, I'd be supportive (even, probably to @Morris_Dancer 's disgust) supporting the re-creation of Wessex, Mercia, London, East Anglia and Northumbria as states.
    Well thought through plan = wall round Yorkshire?
    Mr. Charles, English Parliament.

Carving England into pieces is not acceptable.
  • BudGBudG Posts: 711

This is a splendid piece from Atul Hatwal on the Labour leadership, thinking just like a political punter should:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/03/02/how-labours-potential-leadership-candidates-measure-up-against-member-priorities/#more-21396

Excellent article.. thank you.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Bojabob said:

Not really. Independence for Scotland is the key issue for them.

Extra bit: the passionate Remainers in Scotland are to be found in the entrails of Scottish Labour. The Scottish WWC have moved to the SNP
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/27/shift-scottish-independence-yougov-nicola-sturgeon-balancing-act

The movement among this group has been offset by a much larger swing among those who voted yes to independence in 2014 but then voted to leave the EU last year. Despite only making up 14% of Scottish voters, 43% of these leave/yes voters have since abandoned their pro-independence position, with 28% now saying they would vote to stay in the union.

Thanks for posting @TissuePrice That is an absolutely brilliant piece by Hatwal and is required reading for ALL PBers and punters. Possibly worth a threader @TSE @MikeSmithson?

Very good in terms of how to look at the problem, I'm less convinced by the conclusions (though Heidi Alexander would be a better than par outcome for me).
    Incidentally, there's a free short story by me, up here:
    http://www.kraxon.com/desert-prey/

Mr. Glenn, yes, but the UK has been devolving ever more power to Scotland over the last two decades, during which time the EU has been taking ever more power from its member states.

And that's without considering the eurozone. Do Scots want to join the euro? It's a funny sort of independence that involves handing Frankfurt control of your monetary policy.

Sturgeon bleats about losing single market access, but the (non-Scottish) UK single market is worth four times more to Scotland. It's like complaining you've lost a toe, and prescribing cutting your foot off as the answer.

You are making the classic error of assuming ceteris paribus after the event. The very act of Scotland entering the EU will fundamentally and swiftly change the game vis a vis its balance of payments.
    Marvellous to see these federalists and supporters of an English parliament staggering blinking into the sunlight, even if they seem to think someone else is going to hand these outcomes to them on a plate.
    My only advice would be not to hold your breath.
  • DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Yes, I agree. You can't account for every penny, as it would cost more than the money you get. And a local party must exist because there is a personal relationship with the members and politicians and money is raised and spent locally on things like rent or meeting rooms etc. None/not all of that gets audited at central level.

Certainly within the Tories, all central money stays there. We then pay them a fee, a % for deigning to be a local association. We raise our own cash to pay for staff, leaflets etc. Don't think it gets counted nationally. Unless you know different.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2017
    On topic: that's a rather misleading bar chart (in the finest LD tradition!), as one should really add the Labour and Co-op values together, as I think they're effectively one party*. That restores them to second place. Just.

* Happy to be corrected by a Kremlinologist.
This discussion has been closed.