Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The €60 billion question. The EU exit charge and what it means

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The €60 billion question. The EU exit charge and what it means

Picture: The front page of yesterday’s Times newspaper.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2017
    First!

Once again, Alastair, you are determined to put the worst possible interpretation on the British position, to align with your own prejudices.

They will pay (or at least take on) the real liabilities on pensions. I'd imagine there will also be a deal for the remaining year of the current budget. Accepting that is not a "morally or legally weak" position.

But it's a far cry from accepting the Eur 60bn figure.

It's also important to appreciate that we have *always* said we will pay something. It's one of the cards we have to play on our side - and the traditional British gambit in European politics.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Second time I have been second.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2017
    Grrh .... second!
    As a matter of interest Charles, to what extent did you feel the need to edit your opening post?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited March 2017
    @peter_from_putney ... oh how the mighty have fallen :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Grrh .... second!
    As a matter of interest Charles, to what extent did you feel the need to edit your opening post?

Just to give me time to read the header :triumph::tongue:
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is objecting to paying a fair share of our liabilities when we leave. The opening gambit of 60bn is clearly not a fair share.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Yep - the amount only matters if no deal is reached. But a deal will be reached. However, if May is no longer riding high at the time the deal is done any money the UK pays to the EU will be used against her.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't think anyone is objecting to paying a fair share of our liabilities when we leave. The opening gambit of 60bn is clearly not a fair share.

It's an opening gambit. No-one expects it to be the final sum. We may also end up paying out for continued access, in addition to whatever we pay to meet our liabilities.

• Options
    The US is ending the fast-tracking of visa applications for engineers, scientists, programmers etc from the start of April. This will be a huge setback for Silicon Valley and other tech hubs there. It's also a huge opportunity for us: if the Americans don't want top talent, we should be making clear we do.
  • Options

RobD said:

It's an opening gambit. No-one expects it to be the final sum. We may also end up paying out for continued access, in addition to whatever we pay to meet our liabilities.

Disagree - to anyone who really understands the basis of the European claim the vast majority really is utter garbage (I think @RichardNabavi split it Eur10bn existing liabilities, + 1 year contribution for the existing budget so say Eur 20bn is arguable, but the rest is "future costs of current programmes that we wouldn't have undertaken in their current form if the UK hadn't agreed to pay for them").

What they will do (at least in the UK) is use the big liability number to justify what, in reality, are payments for access. "Britain is honest, we pay our bills. These are real liabilities, but haven't we done well, we've agreed to pay them off over 10 years"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    This reminds me of the story (first told in an economics lecture as a hungover student) of the ten men who go for a drink, and split the bill according to their income.

It's a long story, but the bottom line is that if the richest man decides he's no longer welcomed by the group, then the other nine have learn to drink fewer beers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9236469/There-is-a-moral-message-behind-the-low-tax-story.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,675
    Charles said:

First!

Once again, Alastair, you are determined to put the worst possible interpretation on the British position, to align with your own prejudices.

They will pay (or at least take on) the real liabilities on pensions. I'd imagine there will also be a deal for the remaining year of the current budget. Accepting that is not a "morally or legally weak" position.

But it's a far cry from accepting the Eur 60bn figure.

It's also important to appreciate that we have *always* said we will pay something. It's one of the cards we have to play on our side - and the traditional British gambit in European politics.

Imagine the field day Misery Meeks would have had if the lawyers had actually agreed with him! As the old saying goes, when the facts are against you, pound the law, when the law is against you, pound the facts. When both are against you, pound the table.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Disagree - to anyone who really understands the basis of the European claim the vast majority really is utter garbage (I think @RichardNabavi split it Eur10bn existing liabilities, + 1 year contribution for the existing budget so say Eur 20bn is arguable, but the rest is "future costs of current programmes that we wouldn't have undertaken in their current form if the UK hadn't agreed to pay for them").

What they will do (at least in the UK) is use the big liability number to justify what, in reality, are payments for access. "Britain is honest, we pay our bills. These are real liabilities, but haven't we done well, we've agreed to pay them off over 10 years"

€20bn sounds about right. And there'll be access payments on top. As I said, the €60bn is an opening gambit.

• Options

The US is ending the fast-tracking of visa applications for engineers, scientists, programmers etc from the start of April. This will be a huge setback for Silicon Valley and other tech hubs there. It's also a huge opportunity for us: if the Americans don't want top talent, we should be making clear we do.

Wow, just got mine done a couple of weeks ago (took one business day to get it sorted, I was gobsmacked!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wow, just got mine done a couple of weeks ago (took one business day to get it sorted, I was gobsmacked!)

Cut-off day is 3rd April, I believe.

• Options
    Presumably what applies to the UK on EU liabilities would also apply to an independent Scotland on UK liabilities.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Presumably what applies to the UK on EU liabilities would also apply to an independent Scotland on UK liabilities.

Why? Is resigning a club the same as dissolving a marriage?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I thought it was the H1-B that they'd stopped fast tracking? That's the vehicle by which IT services firms are bringing cheap bonded Indian labour and making Americans redundant. Many Silicon Valley workers hate Trump with a passion but say they'll forgive him everything else if he ends this abuse of skilled Americans.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/32324

Of course that's not to mean that the UK should place themselves to take advantage of American protecionism, just that this isn't the issue to get excited about.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

RobD said:

Cut-off day is 3rd April, I believe.

Probably squeaky bum time for a fair few applicants who were preparing to apply, they only gave one month notice and H1B applications without premium processing can take 2-6 months!
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

€20bn sounds about right. And there'll be access payments on top. As I said, the €60bn is an opening gambit.

How much do other countries pay to "access" the single market? Some idea of the range would be helpful...USA? China? India?
  • Options

The same legal argument applies. Nothing would oblige an independent Scotland to meet any liabilities. The issue is much more about the practical consequences of not doing so. As it is for the UK and EU liabilities.

• Options
    Very helpful and two nice arguments - you persuaded me at least. Thank you.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited March 2017
    IanB2, whose informed commentary never ceases to impress, observes that it will all come down to who needs the most from the negotiation as a whole.

Despite all the bravado and guff about German cars, methinks that will probably be us.

Journalism where you get to write your own strapline? It could catch on....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I thought it was the H1-B that they'd stopped fast tracking? That's the vehicle by which IT services firms are bringing cheap bonded Indian labour and making Americans redundant. Many Silicon Valley workers hate Trump with a passion but say they'll forgive him everything else if he ends this abuse of skilled Americans.

Of course that's not to mean that the UK should place themselves to take advantage of American protecionism, just that this isn't the issue to get excited about.
    It's mainly just an inconvenience. Before you could pay the fee and get a guaranteed decision in 15 days. Without it there is no set time frame, just a nebulous 2-6 months waiting period. Wouldn't be so bad if they said it would be done in three months guaranteed, for example.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

I'd say Eur 10bn is fair, and the Eur 10bn for the remaining year of the budget is really a transition payment (technically you wouldn't need to pay it after you leave the club, but there's pragmatic case to do so). So we're not really disagreeing.
  • Options

Difference is the existing debt - EU doesn't issue bonds in their own right (not surprisingly, Germany has vetoed proposals championed by Italy and Greece).

That's a big number to dispute between iScot and rUK.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

How much do other countries pay to "access" the single market? Some idea of the range would be helpful...USA? China? India?

None of those countries have ever been members of the single market and customs union, so none have companies pursuing business and investment strategies predicated on it. If we want to ensure access on a basis that causes the least disruption we will have to pay.

• Options

The same legal argument applies. Nothing would oblige an independent Scotland to meet any liabilities. The issue is much more about the practical consequences of not doing so. As it is for the UK and EU liabilities.

Not meeting liabilities wouldn't be a great start for a new currency.....let alone government bonds.....might easily prove more expensive than meeting them....
  • Options

Not meeting liabilities wouldn't be a great start for a new currency.....let alone government bonds.....might easily prove more expensive than meeting them....

Of course. And in the same way, the UK walking away from liabilities may prove to be very expensive - as the Lords report states. In both cases it would be a political/economic judgement, not one predicated on the law.

• Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

It's mainly just an inconvenience. Before you could pay the fee and get a guaranteed decision in 15 days. Without it there is no set time frame, just a nebulous 2-6 months waiting period. Wouldn't be so bad if they said it would be done in three months guaranteed, for example.
    AIUI they've stopped accepting new fast track applications because they can't keep up, probably as they've had a surge of applications from those expecting big changes to the scheme. Apparently the same pause was done a few years ago for that reason, but yeah it would be difficult for genuine applicants to have to wait months for a decision on a visa application.

Looks like you got lucky with yours though!
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

None of those countries have ever been members of the single market and customs union, so none have companies pursuing business and investment strategies predicated on it. If we want to ensure access on a basis that causes the least disruption we will have to pay.

And the EU pay us for reciprocal rights?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Top talent chooses where to go. That makes mood music so important.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2017
    Christian said:

Very helpful and two nice arguments - you persuaded me at least. Thank you.

Kindly do not come on PB to announce you are persuaded by "nice arguments". It is completely outwith the ethos of the site to unconditionally accept thread leaders and then inform us it was "very helpful".

Lord preserve us !! ..... and to make matters worse you will have the Brexiteers foaming at the gills and having a fit of the vapours in commending the notorious Remoaner - Alastair Meeks.

What a way to start a Sunday .... :astonished:
  • Options

Of course. And in the same way, the UK walking away from liabilities may prove to be very expensive - as the Lords report states. In both cases it would be a political/economic judgement, not one predicated on the law.

There is a difference between liabilities.

One is a debt: there is a fixed obligation which must be paid by someone

The EU case is a expectation of future expenditure which can be changed.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

Why would it? The EU takes 44% of our exports.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Yep, waiting for immigration stuff to get sorted is very annoying. I'm guessing they just don't have the staff to go through all the applications in a timely manner.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

But that does not change the legalities. The UK is and will be responsible for its debts. Scotland would no longer be part of the UK. Not agreeing to meet a share may be a bad idea for Scotland, but that is a political/economic judgement for a Scottish government to make.

• Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

So we should expect to pay the US in any deal with them too?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Charles said:

RobD said:

£20bn is the cost of a couple of fvcked up NHS IT systems. Bargain.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2017

Charles said:

RobD said:

Under 40% now. And falling. The EU is becoming as irrelevant to us as it is to every other non-EU country in the world. Eventually our trade will reflect global GDP share much more closely and the EU accounts for just 12% including the UK.

But I won't let the facts get in the way of your constant delusional rantings about how we need the EU oh so very much.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Charles said:

RobD said:

Norway and Switzerland pay in...
    I believe Norway pays £140/head vs. £220/head for UK.
    Now they choose to opt into things and we might choose not to.
    But around half of that seems to be linked to access/free trade....

https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-eu-payments/

IMO makes sense for UK to compromise on payments far more than other issues.
    But is TM strong enough in her own party to do this?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Under 40% now. And falling. The EU is becoming as irrelevant to us as it is to every other non-EU country in the world. Eventually our trade will reflect global GDP share much more closely and the EU accounts for just 12% including the UK.

But I won't let the facts get in the way of your constant delusional rantings about how we need the EU oh so very much.

The EU is our biggest export market and will be for years to come. I am sorry that you do not like that fact, but a fact it is nevertheless.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    'The EU’s starting figure of €60 billion is making a statement.'

That the true cost for UK menbership has been grossly under estimated for decades?
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

In leaving the single market and customs union we will be putting ourselves in a worse trading position with our biggest export market than we are now. We will pay up to mitigate the consequences of that.

As for a deal with the US, it will be what the US tells us it will be. We can then choose to take it or leave it.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Agree, absolutely when it comes to genuinely top talent. UK needs to make sure that we make it clear to the world that we welcome the highly skilled.

I'd have a fast track for anyone on £100k or taking a university research post, we shouldn't be asking many questions of anyone in that position , bar a security check.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Charles said:

RobD said:

I am sure that is pretty much what Trump wants...
  • Options

The EU is our biggest export market and will be for years to come. I am sorry that you do not like that fact, but a fact it is nevertheless.

It's share is falling, and the pace of the drop is accelerating. Brexit will cause a systematic drop as well. The EU is 27 different markets for our services exporters, the true strength of our economy. Being in or out of the single market makes precisely zero difference. Our goods exporters, who are finally price competitive with Germany, are finding great success outside of the EU as well. The picture is one of the EU becoming irrelevant for the UK, an irrelevance that strikes at the very heart of your constant EUphile delusions. No wonder you are trying so hard to deny what's coming ahead. We will never rejoin and the EU is permanently diminished by the UK calling time on both membership of the political union and the single market.

Look at it this way, if Britain succeeds economically outside of both the political and economic parts of the EU, what value does it then hold for everyone else? An economic zone which excludes 90% global GDP with an inwards looking political elite is doomed to fail. We gave them ample opportunity to alter the course of the EU, they chose not to and now it doesn't look like there is a way back for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Agree, absolutely when it comes to genuinely top talent. UK needs to make sure that we make it clear to the world that we welcome the highly skilled.

I'd have a fast track for anyone on £100k or taking a university research post, we shouldn't be asking many questions of anyone in that position , bar a security check.
    Brexit ran on a manifesto of reducing immigration. That is one of the outcome measures on which the success or failure of Brext will be judged, and that judgement will be delivered by voters in places like Copeland and Stoke. Immigration is not going to get easier for anyone wanting to come here. That is the political reality.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Agree on university research posts, but not many early stage businesses can pay £100,000 salaries. We need to be more creative than that.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

A risible view.

Even if our export trade with the EU was 20% it could hardly be termed as "irrelevant". Brexit hyperbole is as much to be deprecated as Remainiac scaremongering.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Brexit ran on a manifesto of reducing immigration. That is one of the outcome measures on which the success or failure of Brext will be judged, and that judgement will be delivered by voters in places like Copeland and Stoke. Immigration is not going to get easier for anyone wanting to come here. That is the political reality.
    That doesn't mean we can't make life easy for nurses and researchers, have quotas for plumbers and electricians, and an outright ban on car washers and Big Issue sellers though.

Leaving the EU allows us to think more about which immigration is beneficial and which isn't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's share is falling, and the pace of the drop is accelerating. Brexit will cause a systematic drop as well. The EU is 27 different markets for our services exporters, the true strength of our economy. Being in or out of the single market makes precisely zero difference. Our goods exporters, who are finally price competitive with Germany, are finding great success outside of the EU as well. The picture is one of the EU becoming irrelevant for the UK, an irrelevance that strikes at the very heart of your constant EUphile delusions. No wonder you are trying so hard to deny what's coming ahead. We will never rejoin and the EU is permanently diminished by the UK calling time on both membership of the political union and the single market.

Look at it this way, if Britain succeeds economically outside of both the political and economic parts of the EU, what value does it then hold for everyone else? An economic zone which excludes 90% global GDP with an inwards looking political elite is doomed to fail. We gave them ample opportunity to alter the course of the EU, they chose not to and now it doesn't look like there is a way back for them.

Silly name calling doesn't make your argument any stronger. The EU is our single biggest export market, that will not change for years to come. There are a large number of companies operating in the UK whose business and investment strategies are built on our membership of the single market and customs union. Precipitous withdrawal from both will cause them significant problems. That's why the government will agree a deal which exchanges payments for ongoing beneficial access. If believing that makes me a deluded EUphile, so be it. You are likely to discover in the next two or three years that the government shares my views.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No, Brexit ran on a manifesto of CONTROLLING immigration. We get to decide who comes here, not Brussels. That will be the measure of success or failure of Brexit. If the world's sharpest minds can't get here, but Europe's dodgy geezers gaming the system can, that will be a measure of failure.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    The primary problem is the cowardice the government has developed in the face of the Mail et al. The security measures to prevent leaks have also isolated the PM and the negotiating team from voices even on their own side that they need to hear. There is frustration and growing concern on the part of even the most friendly EU governments that the positions coming from London are either irrelevant or actively harmful to the UK position. Attempts to reach out have equally been met with suspicion or incomprehension by London. There is no interest in a total breakdown and a chaotic brutal Brexit on either side, but the UK is playing a weak hand exceptionally badly.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Agree on university research posts, but not many early stage businesses can pay £100,000 salaries. We need to be more creative than that.
    Yes, we need to be more creative, but we should operate a fast track for positions that are clearly in the country's interest. Startups are one of the more difficult cases, as we'd need to know more about the company to prevent widespread abuse.
  • Options

Charles said:

But that does not change the legalities. The UK is and will be responsible for its debts. Scotland would no longer be part of the UK. Not agreeing to meet a share may be a bad idea for Scotland, but that is a political/economic judgement for a Scottish government to make.

On a very basic level, yes, any government has the right to repudiate debts (although, as Argentina has seen you can get tied up in the courts for a long time). In this case rUK would repay the debts.

But that doesn't mean it's comparable: no one has given the EU money expecting the UK to be part of the repayment plan.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No, Brexit ran on a manifesto of CONTROLLING immigration. We get to decide who comes here, not Brussels. That will be the measure of success or failure of Brexit. If the world's sharpest minds can't get here, but Europe's dodgy geezers gaming the system can, that will be a measure of failure.
    Nope. It was clearly about reducing immigration. That is what the pledge about tens of thousands means.

Every other outcome of Brexit will be plagued by counterfactuals ("Inflation would have happened anyway, and is a good thing" etc). The immigration figures will be how May's Brexit will be judged, and she knows it. Immigration is not going to be getting easier.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

The primary problem is the cowardice the government has developed in the face of the Mail et al. The security measures to prevent leaks have also isolated the PM and the negotiating team from voices even on their own side that they need to hear. There is frustration and growing concern on the part of even the most friendly EU governments that the positions coming from London are either irrelevant or actively harmful to the UK position. Attempts to reach out have equally been met with suspicion or incomprehension by London. There is no interest in a total breakdown and a chaotic brutal Brexit on either side, but the UK is playing a weak hand exceptionally badly.

Because you are fully informed of the intra-government discussions and you have generously decided to share those perspectives with us.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cicero said:

Because you are fully informed of the intra-government discussions and you have generously decided to share those perspectives with us.
    Yes
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    The majority in the country want to reduce/manage/control immigration, it was a key factor for Leave. Most people think that the number of people coming here needs reducing, its straightforward and undeniable.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

MaxPB said:

Silly name calling doesn't make your argument any stronger. The EU is our single biggest export market, that will not change for years to come. There are a large number of companies operating in the UK whose business and investment strategies are built on our membership of the single market and customs union. Precipitous withdrawal from both will cause them significant problems. That's why the government will agree a deal which exchanges payments for ongoing beneficial access. If believing that makes me a deluded EUphile, so be it. You are likely to discover in the next two or three years that the government shares my views.

Sidestepping the argument....
    Assuming the EU survives as is... Or even adds an extra country or two...

Will it ever be the case that they are not our largest trade partner?
    The EU is roughly the same size as US economy. Yet we trade something like three times as much with EU despite sharing a common language with US....

EU share of world GDP will decline as poor countries catch up. The same will happen for US.
    But will the likes of China ever be as big a trading partner? They're far away and have very different systems... Just a thought.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    It seems correct that both the eu figure of 60bn and our counter of 0bn, that we are obliged to pay at least, are negotiating gambits only. It's one reason the idea floated we would gravely offend the eu by saying it is preposterous, since it seems a pretty brazen counter to a pretty brazen opening gambit.

With that being the case and it seems acknowledged in your piece, I am surprised you see the response To be as bad as you say, since it is presumably only a negotiating position. Now, maybe it's a poor one, but this piece isn't as convincing as the a50 one.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Charles said:

Cicero said:

Yes
    What evidence can you provide that you are as informed and unbiased as you represent?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, we need to be more creative, but we should operate a fast track for positions that are clearly in the country's interest. Startups are one of the more difficult cases, as we'd need to know more about the company to prevent widespread abuse.

This is one of the best pieces ever published on PB. It should be required reading for everyone charged with developing our post-Brexit immigration policy:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/13/guest-slot-the-impact-of-leaving-the-eu-on-londons-technology-start-up-scene/
  • Options
    JackW said:

A risible view.

Even if our export trade with the EU was 20% it could hardly be termed as "irrelevant". Brexit hyperbole is as much to be deprecated as Remainiac scaremongering.

Why put the 60% of markets at a disadvantage to gain access to the 40% market? Especially since the latter is dropping in share anyway (and that drop predates the referendum). At 20-25% (which is around where I think the long term figure will be) it makes absolutely zero sense to disadvantage non-EU exporters and domestic companies by taking up EU regulation.
  • Options
    I like the URL since that's the whole point - the government are saying this particular bill is not an obligation, not that they wouldn't meet actual obligations.

As I said when the report was issued, government lawyers are wrong plenty of times, and presumably European lawyers will be wrong at least as often, so the posturing stuff seems irrelevant. It's not in their interests to have us legally fight such payments nor in our should we fail, so it's in both our interests to concede something. Who concedes the most remains to be seen. Certainly my reading of the initial headline was to add an unwritten 'but we'd pay something to make things easier because we're so nice'. Others may take it literally to mean the gov thinks it will not pay a dime.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Of course that's not to mean that....

Nope. It was clearly about reducing immigration. That is what the pledge about tens of thousands means.

Every other outcome of Brexit will be plagued by counterfactuals ("Inflation would have happened anyway, and is a good thing" etc). The immigration figures will be how May's Brexit will be judged, and she knows it. Immigration is not going to be getting easier.
    Control is the key. By not being a member of the EU then not only can we be picky about who comes, we can see ensure that the gaps in the labour market which immigration identifies can be removed in the medium term by refraining, and we can ensure that access to public services is not to the detriment of nationals.

Public perceptions are far more nuanced than you'll ever understand if you just poke fun at the views...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

Cicero said:

Yes
    What evidence can you provide that you are as informed and unbiased as you represent?
    Mike Smithson knows that as an Investment Banker with several large International Houses, I have served as an economic advisor at PM and ministerial level to several CEE states. I continue that role. I posted because a) it's true and b) there are several people who read this site who will be quite clear about what is being signalled. The U.K. Is making a mess of things and they need to review their strategy and position.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    MaxPB said:

JackW said:

A risible view.

Why put the 60% of markets at a disadvantage to gain access to the 40% market? Especially since the latter is dropping in share anyway (and that drop predates the referendum). At 20-25% (which is around where I think the long term figure will be) it makes absolutely zero sense to disadvantage non-EU exporters and domestic companies by taking up EU regulation.
    Because the 40% are next door and the rest several thousand miles away?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I like the URL since that's the whole point - the government are saying this particular bill is not an obligation, not that they wouldn't meet actual obligations.

As I said when the report was issued, government lawyers are wrong plenty of times, and presumably European lawyers will be wrong at least as often, so the posturing stuff seems irrelevant. It's not in their interests to have us legally fight such payments nor in our should we fail, so it's in both our interests to concede something. Who concedes the most remains to be seen. Certainly my reading of the initial headline was to add an unwritten 'but we'd pay something to make things easier because we're so nice'. Others may take it literally to mean the gov thinks it will not pay a dime.
    Quite - it may easily be cheaper to pay something than exhaust a fortune in fees and civil servants time defending some payment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

A risible view.

Geographic location is hardly a limitation of trade today. Especially for services trade where it makes no difference.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sure should.

Charles said:

RobD said:

£20bn is the cost of a couple of fvcked up NHS IT systems. Bargain.
    Ouch!

Although seriously, I know little of IT systems and am sure the technical wizardry must be damn complicated, but why do they capita so many billions sometimes?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

MaxPB said:

Sidestepping the argument....
    Assuming the EU survives as is... Or even adds an extra country or two...

Will it ever be the case that they are not our largest trade partner?
    The EU is roughly the same size as US economy. Yet we trade something like three times as much with EU despite sharing a common language with US....

EU share of world GDP will decline as poor countries catch up. The same will happen for US.
    But will the likes of China ever be as big a trading partner? They're far away and have very different systems... Just a thought.
    Both China and US are also more protectionist than the EU. There are also simple matters of geography that determine certain trading relations, particularly in things like agriculture and tourism.
  • Options
    Interesting from Carswell. This is the kind of thinking we need:
    https://twitter.com/rolandmcs/status/838292390611927042
  • Options

https://twitter.com/rolandmcs/status/838292390611927042

Ripped from the comments section of this very blog!
  • Options

twitter.com/rolandmcs/status/838292390611927042

Interesting, how is this different from the current non-EU migration rules?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    kle4 said:

It seems correct that both the eu figure of 60bn and our counter of 0bn, that we are obliged to pay at least, are negotiating gambits only. It's one reason the idea floated we would gravely offend the eu by saying it is preposterous, since it seems a pretty brazen counter to a pretty brazen opening gambit.

With that being the case and it seems acknowledged in your piece, I am surprised you see the response To be as bad as you say, since it is presumably only a negotiating position. Now, maybe it's a poor one, but this piece isn't as convincing as the a50 one.

My guess would be the figure is designed to plug the very large black hole out departure will leave in their budget, especially as several EU banks are still very vulnerable to financial shocks (e.g. restrictions on their access to the City of London).

As I have pointed out, there are still unpaid fines within the EU that could be used to offset this. France still owes us £2.1 billion over that illegal ban on our beef (a fine that the Commission decided not to enforce). The Commission as a whole should probably owe us quite a lot for that given that it was morally and legally unjustifiable from the outset.

The big error to my mind is that by playing for such a big figure to start with when it is inevitably either negotiated down to about £10 billion or simply not paid they will look weak and ineffectual, and have implanted the idea that it is possible to leave the EU without financial penalty. That could prove rather a dangerous impression going forward.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The big error to my mind is that by playing for such a big figure to start with when it is inevitably either negotiated down to about £10 billion or simply not paid they will look weak and ineffectual, and have implanted the idea that it is possible to leave the EU without financial penalty. That could prove rather a dangerous impression going forward.

The EU looking weak and ineffectual? It'll never happen.... :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

It looks like it would be automatic.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Most voters, of any stripe, want immigration reduced. There is a certain level and type that is definitely beneficial, but the government has a tricky position to take. to date it has been able to talk about wanting to reduce and not be punished for failing,but at done point will need to actually reduce, while encouraging the sort of high value immigration it wants without the wider public thinking that is bad for them.
  • Options

RobD said:

Sorry, not sure I follow?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's also clickbait headlining.

The comment from the MEP was that we had an obligation to pay our share "up and until withdrawal"
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

If you are a non-EU migrant you need a visa to settle and work here: it's not just a case of getting a job that pays at a certain level.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

JackW said:

A risible view.

Geographic location is hardly a limitation of trade today. Especially for services trade where it makes no difference.
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper and quicker to trade with Belgium than with India. Time, fuel, maintenance costs and wages are all considerations when shipping bulk items at distance.

That is why despite the fact it is 1% of the size of India we do twice as much trade with Belgium.

Services have certain advantages in this regard, but even they experience difficulties and delays about distance (faults on the cable, electrical storms on the satellite, etc.).

For these reasons Europe will always be disproportionately important to us as an export market (and was even in the nineteenth century).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Why should we pay? Two possibilities. Firstly, that we have already promised to do so. Secondly, that we are getting something in return.

In respect of the first the EU budget that we agreed runs until 2019. If we were to leave before that there may be an argument that we should honour those commitments. After that not so much. There are longer term liabilities of the EU, such as the pensions of their well paid staff. I can see the UK taking on the responsibility to pay those of UK citizens although I can also see an argument that we have a right to roughly 20% of the value of EU Institutions that have been built up with our money. A trade off looks likely.

Going forward, there remains the possibility that we will remain in some sort of relationship with some EU institutions. So we might remain a part of the EU patents system, for example. If we do then we will inevitably have to contribute to the cost of those institutions in the same way as we do now.

Paying for access to the Single Market, for example, I would be a lot less happy about. Canada is not paying, why should we? The Single Market's access to the UK is worth rather more than our reciprocal rights.at the moment and indeed for the last 20 years. On this we should dig our heels in.

Does this mean we are playing Bridge at a poker table in Alastair's colourful metaphor? I don't think so. I just think the UK position is more in accordance with the realities of the situation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

My guess would be the figure is designed to plug the very large black hole out departure will leave in their budget, especially as several EU banks are still very vulnerable to financial shocks (e.g. restrictions on their access to the City of London).

As I have pointed out, there are still unpaid fines within the EU that could be used to offset this. France still owes us £2.1 billion over that illegal ban on our beef (a fine that the Commission decided not to enforce). The Commission as a whole should probably owe us quite a lot for that given that it was morally and legally unjustifiable from the outset.

Perhaps, although ensuring our leaving does not look an attractive prospect seems like a higher priority than a deal which is genuinely mutually beneficial, so while 60bn as stated by Alistair seems, in essence, nonsense, I'd imagine they will push hard for something like half if that. How well we play our hand elsewhere will presumably dictate how much we can negotiate it down, and how credibly the government can claim it as a victory.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JackW said:

A risible view.

Perhaps so. But our future trade with the EU is not "irrelevant" as you hopelessly contended.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Cicero said:

Charles said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

Cicero said:

Yes
    Mike Smithson knows that as an Investment Banker with several large International Houses, I have served as an economic advisor at PM and ministerial level to several CEE states. I continue that role. I posted because a) it's true and b) there are several people who read this site who will be quite clear about what is being signalled. The U.K. Is making a mess of things and they need to review their strategy and position.
    Hi Shriti. You were a pretty vocal Remainer if I remember?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This is one of the best pieces ever published on PB. It should be required reading for everyone charged with developing our post-Brexit immigration policy:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/13/guest-slot-the-impact-of-leaving-the-eu-on-londons-technology-start-up-scene/
    That is indeed a bloody good article, that I'm not sure I read when it were first published. Thanks for the link. I hope that senior people in the tech startup industry have got the ear of government as they work though the Brexit process.

What I'd probably do is set up a 'free zone', with minimal taxes, their own work permits and cheap rents for startup tech businesses. I hope the ministers in the business department are having a good look at how similar schemes work elsewhere in the world.

A general bonfire of unnecessary regulation aimed at small businesses is also long overdue, maybe Brexit gives the opportunity to take a look at this, at the same time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why should we pay? Two possibilities. Firstly, that we have already promised to do so. Secondly, that we are getting something in return.

In respect of the first the EU budget that we agreed runs until 2019. If we were to leave before that there may be an argument that we should honour those commitments. After that not so much. There are longer term liabilities of the EU, such as the pensions of their well paid staff. I can see the UK taking on the responsibility to pay those of UK citizens although I can also see an argument that we have a right to roughly 20% of the value of EU Institutions that have been built up with our money. A trade off looks likely.

Going forward, there remains the possibility that we will remain in some sort of relationship with some EU institutions. So we might remain a part of the EU patents system, for example. If we do then we will inevitably have to contribute to the cost of those institutions in the same way as we do now.

Paying for access to the Single Market, for example, I would be a lot less happy about. Canada is not paying, why should we? The Single Market's access to the UK is worth rather more than our reciprocal rights.at the moment and indeed for the last 20 years. On this we should dig our heels in.

Does this mean we are playing Bridge at a poker table in Alastair's colourful metaphor? I don't think so. I just think the UK position is more in accordance with the realities of the situation.

Canada is not home to big employers whose investment and business strategies are predicated on membership of the single market. Paying to get access on better terms than Canada has makes complete sense. Obviously, it makes no sense to pay for what Canada gets for free.

• Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps, although ensuring our leaving does not look an attractive prospect seems like a higher priority than a deal which is genuinely mutually beneficial, so while 60bn as stated by Alistair seems, in essence, nonsense, I'd imagine they will push hard for something like half if that. How well we play our hand elsewhere will presumably dictate how much we can negotiate it down, and how credibly the government can claim it as a victory.
    But what happens when they push for it and don't get it? Unless something dramatic happens in the next two years, a hard Brexit risks a second banking panic, this time in Italy and Germany, and the collapse of the Euro. So they will have to compromise and will have implanted the idea they can't even get cash out of departing members. Will this hinder them going forward? I would argue so, especially as that drunken lunatic Verhofstadt has argued Brexit underscores how beloved the EU is and is now pushing for more or less immediate federation.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A general bonfire of unnecessary regulation aimed at small businesses is also long overdue, maybe Brexit gives the opportunity to take a look at this, at the same time.
    Everything I've ever heard from Hammond suggests that he understands small/micro business, and especially building a business from nothing.

I'd never expect him to make such stupid mistakes as Osborne made re: compulsory pensions, I'd be very surprised if quarterly reporting happens etc
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Interestingly, Ladbrokes has shorter odds for Juppe and longer for Fillon than Betfair. That's mostly been the other way around. If Juppe does replace Fillon, I wonder if Le Pen becomes a third place favourite for the presidency.

On paying the EU - there are a few different factors. We'll have made certain commitments (most obviously the fees for until 2019) and may wish to pay for membership of the bodies that should be independent but which the Euromonster has its tentacles wrapped around (EURatom etc). As mentioned below, if Canada has better single market access with no fee, then having the same for us seems a minimum standard rather than a special deal.

Also, as Mr. Max stated, we should not neglect the French fine.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Canada is not home to big employers whose investment and business strategies are predicated on membership of the single market. Paying to get access on better terms than Canada has makes complete sense. Obviously, it makes no sense to pay for what Canada gets for free.

The irony of course is that Canada is pushing hard for far more immigration to exploit its vast size and natural resources and build up its economy to world power status!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

If you are a non-EU migrant you need a visa to settle and work here: it's not just a case of getting a job that pays at a certain level.

Ah, thanks!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Charles said:

RobD said:

39% last year. And on a downward trend. Plus the quantity of exports to the UK is substantially larger and has been consistently over a long period.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Business needs to adjust their strategy. These things are not set in stone.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Everything I've ever heard from Hammond suggests that he understands small/micro business, and especially building a business from nothing.

I'd never expect him to make such stupid mistakes as Osborne made re: compulsory pensions, I'd be very surprised if quarterly reporting happens etc
    So "Bosses Brexit", with a bonfire of consumer and workers protections it is...
This discussion has been closed.