Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Les Republicans. You’ve lost that lovin’ Fillon?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Les Republicans. You’ve lost that lovin’ Fillon?

Fillon puts final decision on his continuing running or not to Républicains party, according to his prepared speech.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
    Just walk away, Juppé...
  • Options
    I hope you all spotted my two subtle musical references.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2017
    Premier...........peut-être pas
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited March 2017
    It's a bit daft that he didn't just come out with it.

Your puns may be in contravention of the Geneva Convention.

Edited extra bit: vast yawning chasm between Baroin's back and lay prices on Betfair (36/85).
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited March 2017
    Trump is totally unhinged.

America, good luck for the next three four years. You're going to need it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    Oh that lovin' Fillon.

@TSE, there's No Limit to your dodgy '90s music references. ;)
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, four years.
  • Options

Well, it's 2017 now (next elections are in 2020). But I'll edit the post.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Don't you mean 8 years ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

Trump wont make four years. He'll be impeached.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

Power transfer is the following year. 2021. So four years. Unless he dies, resigns or is declared unfit to rule. But then we would have Mike Pence.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Don't you mean 8 years ?
    Well, it's not guaranteed he'll win a second term.
  • Options

My father is convinced he will be assassinated.
  • Options
    Has anybody told the West Indies that they only get to bat for 50 overs?
  • Options

Don't you mean 8 years ?
    The next President could well be Ivanka.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

V v difficult these days.
  • Options

Don't you mean 8 years ?
    On the assumption he will be facing someone better than Hilary Clinton next time (and let's face it, a monkey on a stick would be better and probably have fewer legal problems) it's hard to imagine he'll win a second term!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Power transfer is the following year. 2021. So four years. Unless he dies, resigns or is declared unfit to rule. But then we would have Mike Pence.
    True, true. Flu is really slowing my mind today.

Picking between Trump and Pence is like deciding whether you want to eat vomit or faeces.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, get well soon.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

ydoethur said:

V v difficult these days.
    Become member of posh Florida golf and country club....make dinner reservations for any Saturday night...claim to be connected to the Russian ambassador...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

True, true. Flu is really slowing my mind today.

Picking between Trump and Pence is like deciding whether you want to eat vomit or faeces.
    It sounds more like the difference between eating horse faeces and cow faeces to me, actually.

Sorry to hear you are ill, get well soon.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Getting impeached doesn't actually mean he'll have to leave office though, does it?

@williamglenn Why do you say that?
  • Options
    Never mind Fillon, this is the important news in France:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/04/baguette-postbox-trend-taking-france-storm/
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I genuinely don't know how you deal with someone in such an important position who lies as easily as he breathes. It's unprecedented in recent times - he is very clever insofar as he understands that his core support simply believe him without bothering to verify anything he ever says or asking for any evidence. Frightening to think where it could end.
  • Options

Getting impeached doesn't actually mean he'll have to leave office though, does it?

Ok, lets try 25th amendment instead then.
  • Options
    Its one of those, how was this never thought of before moments....its not like the French have only just become fans of the old baguette.
  • Options

Because she's clearly a powerful figure in his administration and is a much more unifying figure than her father. (This scenario supposes that he survives a full term.)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    OllyT said:

I genuinely don't know how you deal with someone in such an important position who lies as easily as he breathes. It's unprecedented in recent times - he is very clever insofar as he understands that his core support simply believe him without bothering to verify anything he ever says or asking for any evidence. Frightening to think where it could end.
    Its the lies that can be so easily fact checked that get me....I had the biggest election win ever...no you didn't...well since Regan...no you didn't...I was talking about Republican win...nope still you didn't...

Most politicians lie, but its the way they tell'em...either leaves wiggle room or are very difficult to establish with 100% certainty it is a lie...but Trump just constantly makes absolute claims which are easy to check.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer and @ydoethur thanks! It's hard to believe that it was only Tuesday night/Wednesday morning that many were talking about how his Congress speech could be a turning point.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Only if convicted, which has never happened as it requires a 2/3 majority in the Senate. In practice they generally vote on partisan lines and there is seldom a split that large. Even if it is, that's no guarantee of a conviction. When Clinton was on trial, five Republicans supported him out of the feeling that (a) it had gone too far and (b) the whole thing was a massive distraction that the country should move on from.

No president has ever left office due to impeachment (although Nixon would surely have done so if he hadn't resigned - technically that happened before being impeached, however).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

Oh that lovin' Fillon.

Wasn't it the sixties and The Righteous Brothers?
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, nevertheless, the speech (of Trump's) was of interest, because it showed he could deliver one that was broadly respected and more along, shall we say, traditional presidential lines.
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, nevertheless, the speech (of Trump's) was of interest, because it showed he could deliver one that was broadly respected and more along, shall we say, traditional presidential lines.

I liked the Bill Maher gag on Friday that what actually happened was a PWC employee gave the wrong speech to the teleprompter operator.
  • Options
    Goddamnit, I forgot The only way is Juppé
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Yep, I totally agree. This whole 'wire tapping' accusation is like a re-run of his voter fraud allegations.

According to Carl Bernstein many Republicans on the hill are very concerned about Trump's mental state.
  • Options

Because she's clearly a powerful figure in his administration and is a much more unifying figure than her father. (This scenario supposes that he survives a full term.)
    From a w*nker to Ivanka? It has a certain ring to it...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Oh that lovin' Fillon.

Wasn't it the sixties and The Righteous Brothers?
    It was, but it was re-released in 1990 and was number one that year;
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that's quite good.

I feel some sympathy for the envelope bunglers, but why the hell weren't they paying attention? Mind you, from what I've heard it sounds like the chap reading it saw something seemed wrong and handed it to the lady to read out, which is also dodgy.

Still not as stupid as the F1 qualifying at the start of last season.
  • Options

If you want some really awful puns;

They have that sinking Fillon

They should sing for their Juppe.
  • Options

Is she that powerful? The reports in the press seem to indicate that the guys running the show so far are Bannon and Miller.

I agree that's she a much more unifying figure though.

Surely, if Trump doesn't survive the next four years, it will be Pence who gets to be POTUS. If it's not him then Paul Ryan (or whoever else is speaker of the house). The only way I see it being Ivanka is if she runs in the primaries and wins.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    Clearly a man who cannot organise himself a raincoat when it is stottin doon with rain isn't fit for office.
  • Options

Or that Seventies feelgood song :

"Juppe, Juppe and away in my Beautiful Fillon"
  • Options

Clearly a man who cannot organise himself a raincoat when it is stottin doon with rain isn't fit for office.

You're from part of the world we're the football think people who put on a t shirt in the rain are soft.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    ydoethur said:

From a w*nker to Ivanka? It has a certain ring to it...
    It would be terribly ironic if an indirect consequence of Clinton's failed campaign is that Ivanka Trump becomes the first female President.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,869

Mr. Urquhart, that's quite good.

I feel some sympathy for the envelope bunglers, but why the hell weren't they paying attention? Mind you, from what I've heard it sounds like the chap reading it saw something seemed wrong and handed it to the lady to read out, which is also dodgy.

Still not as stupid as the F1 qualifying at the start of last season.

The way the envelope bunglers have been treated frustrates me. Yes, they mucked up, but failures are almost never the result of one person's actions, but a combination of a series of causal factors that culminate in their actions.

As an example, I bet next year the envelopes and the cards inside will have much clearer descriptions of what the f they're for. But it's easier to blame the individuals ...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited March 2017

OllyT said:

Yep, I totally agree. This whole 'wire tapping' accusation is like a re-run of his voter fraud allegations.

According to Carl Bernstein many Republicans on the hill are very concerned about Trump's mental state.
    Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, predicted that Trump would win well before anyone thought it was conceivable, let alone likely. This is what he said:

"I see a flamethrower, the flamethrower guy wins in a stick fight…

"The idea of the Master Wizard Hypothesis says there are some people in the world, living people, masters of persuasion, they’ve got a linguistic gift for influencing people. And they are using actual techniques.

"What I [see] in Trump is someone who was highly trained. A lot of the things that the media were reporting as sort of random insults and bluster and just Trump being Trump, looked to me like a lot of deep technique that I recognized from the fields of hypnosis and persuasion."

I believe that Adams was, in the last sentence, referring to Cialdini's seminal work on 'compliance professionals', his book the Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion . It has sat on my bookshelf for a while, but recent events have persuaded me to read it. I am beginning to think that Adams was onto something. Trump uses a lot of flamethrowers.

PS Important addition to the Adams quote:

"So his complete ignoring of facts are actually part of the persuasion because he doesn’t give you targets. He doesn’t give you details of his policies, usually. So he’s reducing the number of targets while making you feel good and focusing on the things he wants. So it’s not about facts, it’s about focus and attention."
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    ydoethur said:

If you want some really awful puns;

They have that sinking Fillon

They should sing for their Juppe.
    Juppés your money and you takes your chance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

Is she that powerful? The reports in the press seem to indicate that the guys running the show so far are Bannon and Miller.

I agree that's she a much more unifying figure though.

Surely, if Trump doesn't survive the next four years, it will be Pence who gets to be POTUS. If it's not him then Paul Ryan (or whoever else is speaker of the house). The only way I see it being Ivanka is if she runs in the primaries and wins.
    Yes, it will be Pence if Trump is 'got' ( I don;t think he will be).

Ivanka is an idea straight out of Don Brind fantasy land.
  • Options
    Da do Macron-ron, da do Macron...
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I agree.

French stuff - if Juppe gets the gig, would we expect both Macron and Le Pen's odds to lengthen?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Well, that's a non-denial denial. WTF are the words 'against Trump' doing in that statement?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    James Clapper is a habitual and inept liar. He looks very worried in that brief interview. I hope he gets what's coming to him.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Interesting use of words...bit like the rebuttal of Obama.

I seemed to remember that the claims in articles in the likes of the Guardian (and well as some more "out there publications", was NOT that they asked for and eventually were granted a wire tap on Donald Trump, but to snoop on certain parts of Trump Towers.

The suggestion was that they wanted to know more about interesting internet connections emanating from within Trump Towers to Russians contacts.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

I missed the subtle ones: what were they?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

You're from part of the world we're the football think people who put on a t shirt in the rain are soft.
    Autocomplete?
  • Options

I seemed to remember that the claims in articles in the likes of the Guardian (and well as some more "out there publications", was NOT that they asked for and eventually were granted a wire tap on Donald Trump, but to snoop on certain parts of Trump Towers.

The suggestion was that they wanted to know more about interesting internet connections emanating from within Trump Towers to Russians contacts.
    On the other hand photographic evidence has emerged

https://twitter.com/45jonnyboy/status/838352840393306113
  • Options
    edited March 2017

twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/838408093151211521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

twitter.com/45jonnyboy/status/838352840393306113
    LOL.
  • Options

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Tremendous article in today's Sunday Times by David Goodhart. Classifies people as Somewheres or Anywheres: reckoning that those who support national identity and putting our country first to be about 60% of our population, 'Anywheres' prioritising internationalism etc at around 25%.

Chimes with my experience....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,869

https://twitter.com/45jonnyboy/status/838352840393306113
    (trigger LuckyGuy1983 mode)

That's obviously not faked. Look at the angle Obama's hanging at; it's impossible to fake that even with the best green-screens in Holywood ...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2017

Da do Macron-ron, da do Macron...

Put your Fill-on in, take you Fill-on, put your Fill-on in and shake it all about
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    Artist said:
    'It doesn't seem encouraging at all to me. Things were going OK for Corbyn in February 2016, if you look at the YouGov's during the last leadership contest, the released figures from Election Data so far don't show much of a drop at all. Corbyn would still win against a moderate by roughly 55/45, unbelievable. '

A Yougov poll of Labour members at the end of August 2016 showed 52% wanting to see him lead Labour into the next election. 41% did not. Today's poll has only 44% wanting him as leader at the election compared with 50% who do not. That represents a 9% swing against Corbyn in 6 months when Don't Knows are excluded.Pretty close to a tipping point I would think.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    Is that his real decor? It's hideous. Almost an impeachable offence on its own!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    "it would break a few irony meters if Fillon quit the race for alleged financial impropriety and was replaced as Les Republicans candidate by someone with a conviction for misuse of public funds"

It would suggest that LR aren't taking the big decisions concerning who represents LR.

Whether Fillon stays in or withdraws, the question is what will happen to his support. Will it stay with the LR candidate, whether it's him or someone else, or might it leak in someone else's direction? If there's a classic "men in dark suits" stabbing, populism may win out.

Le Parisien quote someone at today's pro-Fillon demo:

"Si on retire Fillon, les gens voteront pour un petit candidat au premier tour, Dupont Aignan et Le Pen au deuxième tour", estime cette femme de 68 ans, pour qui "l'autorité judiciaire confisque la démocratie en empêchant Fillon de parler de son programme."

"If they pull Fillon out of the race, people will vote for a small candidate in the first round, Dupont-Aignan, and for Le Pen in the second Round", said this woman, 68, for whom "the judges are undermining democracy by preventing Fillon from speaking about his programme" (emphasis added)

I doubt that Dupont-Aignan will even need 10% in the polls to get into the TF1 TV debate on 20 March. 7-8% should be enough.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    We're talking here about the biggest, loosest gun on the planet. And should he keep an eye on Arnold Schwarzenegger too?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
  • Options
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    Have you never seen the footage of his penthouse...The whole place is like that.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    MTimT said:

OllyT said:

Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, predicted that Trump would win well before anyone thought it was conceivable, let alone likely. This is what he said:

"I see a flamethrower, the flamethrower guy wins in a stick fight…

"The idea of the Master Wizard Hypothesis says there are some people in the world, living people, masters of persuasion, they’ve got a linguistic gift for influencing people. And they are using actual techniques.

"What I [see] in Trump is someone who was highly trained. A lot of the things that the media were reporting as sort of random insults and bluster and just Trump being Trump, looked to me like a lot of deep technique that I recognized from the fields of hypnosis and persuasion."

I believe that Adams was, in the last sentence, referring to Cialdini's seminal work on 'compliance professionals', his book the Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion . It has sat on my bookshelf for a while, but recent events have persuaded me to read it. I am beginning to think that Adams was onto something. Trump uses a lot of flamethrowers.

PS Important addition to the Adams quote:

"So his complete ignoring of facts are actually part of the persuasion because he doesn’t give you targets. He doesn’t give you details of his policies, usually. So he’s reducing the number of targets while making you feel good and focusing on the things he wants. So it’s not about facts, it’s about focus and attention."
    The notions that Trump's lies are a diversionary tactic isn't something that his critics don't know. The trouble with this strategy, isn't that it doesn't shift the focus away from 'bad stories', it just creates a new bad story to focus on.

Also, and in regard to Russia story it certainly isn't a sustainable strategy long-term. That story just keeps coming back, and no amount of diverting has really changed that. It certainly didn't help save Michael Flynn.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    ydoethur said:

Only if convicted, which has never happened as it requires a 2/3 majority in the Senate. In practice they generally vote on partisan lines and there is seldom a split that large. Even if it is, that's no guarantee of a conviction. When Clinton was on trial, five Republicans supported him out of the feeling that (a) it had gone too far and (b) the whole thing was a massive distraction that the country should move on from.

No president has ever left office due to impeachment (although Nixon would surely have done so if he hadn't resigned - technically that happened before being impeached, however).
    He will do all right and get re-elected. He is now calling Obama's bluff, he was sneaking about spying on people, Democrats all over the Russians. They are scumbagas and hopefully Trump causes plenty of hassle for them over the next 4 or 8 years.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Cyan said:

"it would break a few irony meters if Fillon quit the race for alleged financial impropriety and was replaced as Les Republicans candidate by someone with a conviction for misuse of public funds"

It would suggest that LR aren't taking the big decisions concerning who represents LR.

Whether Fillon stays in or withdraws, the question is what will happen to his support. Will it stay with the LR candidate, whether it's him or someone else, or might it leak in someone else's direction? If there's a classic "men in dark suits" stabbing, populism may win out.

"Si on retire Fillon, les gens voteront pour un petit candidat au premier tour, Dupont Aignan et Le Pen au deuxième tour", estime cette femme de 68 ans, pour qui "l'autorité judiciaire confisque la démocratie en empêchant Fillon de parler de son programme."

"If they pull Fillon out of the race, people will vote for a small candidate in the first round, Dupont-Aignan, and for Le Pen in the second Round", said this woman, 68, for whom "the judges are undermining democracy by preventing Fillon from speaking about his programme" (emphasis added)

I doubt that Dupont-Aignan will even need 10% in the polls to get into the TF1 TV debate on 20 March. 7-8% should be enough.

I like M. D-A, who manages to be Eurosceptic without being antisemitic, and who doesn't believe that France's biggest problems are a lack of government regulation and too much free trade.

If Fillon does depart for Juppe, M. D-A will not doubt gain somewhat; but how much? 2% 3%?

I also suspect that M. D-A may split the French Eurosceptic vote. If Mme Le Pen loses 5 points to D-A, you could easily end up with a Macron-Juppe last two.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:
    'It doesn't seem encouraging at all to me. Things were going OK for Corbyn in February 2016, if you look at the YouGov's during the last leadership contest, the released figures from Election Data so far don't show much of a drop at all. Corbyn would still win against a moderate by roughly 55/45, unbelievable. '

A Yougov poll of Labour members at the end of August 2016 showed 52% wanting to see him lead Labour into the next election. 41% did not. Today's poll has only 44% wanting him as leader at the election compared with 50% who do not. That represents a 9% swing against Corbyn in 6 months when Don't Knows are excluded.Pretty close to a tipping point I would think.

It's only going one way. He was supported by 72% of members in February 2016; it's 54% now.

• Options
    West Indies showing why they aren't ranked in the top 8 in the world for ODIs...As Trump would say..Failing West Indies Cricket...Sad....
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2017
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't snooping in some way on the Trump campaign. This is the US that we're talking about. Of course, Trump was undoubtedly reciprocating. Why is anyone up in arms about this?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, Macron-Juppe would be a nice result (not for huge stakes, but every little helps).
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I agree.

French stuff - if Juppe gets the gig, would we expect both Macron and Le Pen's odds to lengthen?

Things we know about Juppe: he's quite poor in debates; he's hardly untainted from a corruption perspective; he's arguing for no real change except a little more competence; he's been a competent mayor of Bordeaux.

He's also personally popular and competes with Macron for the centre ground.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    Yes, that really is what the inside of his apartment looks like. (It's been on The Apprentice a number of times.)
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2017
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    For me the names Ozymandias and Midas pop up. Wishful day dreaming no doubt.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, Macron-Juppe would be a nice result (not for huge stakes, but every little helps).

I've just been continually selling Le Pen. The only time I was scared was when it looked like Hamon might take enough votes from Melanchon to make the second round. (Le Pen would beat Hamon.)

But right now (and I reserve the right to change my mind), I don't see how she doesn't lose by 20 points plus.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, sounds like you expect Macron's odds to lengthen and Le Pen's to shorten.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701

Don't you mean 8 years ?
    Only if Hillary runs again.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, cheers.

I'm green on her, but only a little. Juppe (relatively) a lot, and Macron quite a lot.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195

Some terrible puns by TSE... Sad...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

MTimT said:

LOL.
    LOL indeed.
    Yes, that really is what the inside of his apartment looks like. (It's been on The Apprentice a number of times.)
    Blimey! it looks uncomfortable
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Wouldn't that still be 53/47 and even then it may be overstated by people who don't want him to go immediately. The +17 approval in today's poll means there hasn't been a sea change against Corbyn just days/weeks after a terrible election result and supporting the Tories on Brexit.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,683
    Juppe days are here again
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Juppe days are here again

Juppe doesn't rhyme with happy :p
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Baroin, two, three times a Juppé...Oui!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Turkey's president has compared German officials to Nazis, in the latest escalation in a war of words. Recep Tayyip Erdogan hit out after German authorities cancelled rallies designed to woo ethnic Turkish voters in Germany ahead of a key referendum.

"Your practices are not different from the Nazi practices of the past," Mr Erdogan said.

Voters will be asked whether they back a new constitution, which would transform the country from a parliamentary republic to a presidential one.

That would give Mr Erdogan, as president, new powers over the budget, appointment of ministers and judges, and the power to dismiss parliament, among others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39173296

Dictator....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Wouldn't that still be 53/47 and even then it may be overstated by people who don't want him to go immediately. The +17 approval in today's poll means there hasn't been a sea change against Corbyn just days/weeks after a terrible election result and supporting the Tories on Brexit.
    There will be an ocean change after we lose Gorton. Or, there will be another party. The Democrats.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Obama wasn't snooping in some way on the Trump campaign. This is the US that we're talking about. Of course, Trump was undoubtedly reciprocating. Why is anyone up in arms about this?

Because the Democrats are vilifying Trump daily instead of just slinking off and licking their wounds.
  • Options
    Wendy's is adding self-service ordering kiosks "to at least 1,000 restaurants, or about 15% of its stores," reports the Los Angeles Times, while McDonald's and Panera Bread are now planning to add kiosks to every restaurant. "Lots of restaurants, not just fast-food chains, are really trying to mitigate the costs of higher wages," says one market research firm, while also citing a survey which found 40% of millennials willing to use kiosks (compared to 30% of restaurant-goers overall).

But in some cases this means more work for human employees. Quartz points out that McDonalds doesn't plan to reduce its workforce after installing kiosks, and Panera Bread "has said that at some locations where it has ordering kiosks, it has actually increased human hours to help the kitchen keep up with the higher number of orders that come in through the more efficient ordering system."

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/03/05/0344244/more-fast-food-restaurants-are-now-automating
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyan said:

I like M. D-A, who manages to be Eurosceptic without being antisemitic, and who doesn't believe that France's biggest problems are a lack of government regulation and too much free trade.

If Fillon does depart for Juppe, M. D-A will not doubt gain somewhat; but how much? 2% 3%?

I also suspect that M. D-A may split the French Eurosceptic vote. If Mme Le Pen loses 5 points to D-A, you could easily end up with a Macron-Juppe last two.
    Is Nicolas Dupont-Aignan running?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyan said:

Is Nicolas Dupont-Aignan running?
    Yes, he has quite a comprehensive programme - http://www.nda-2017.fr/themes.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Turkey's president has compared German officials to Nazis, in the latest escalation in a war of words. Recep Tayyip Erdogan hit out after German authorities cancelled rallies designed to woo ethnic Turkish voters in Germany ahead of a key referendum.

"Your practices are not different from the Nazi practices of the past," Mr Erdogan said.

Voters will be asked whether they back a new constitution, which would transform the country from a parliamentary republic to a presidential one.

That would give Mr Erdogan, as president, new powers over the budget, appointment of ministers and judges, and the power to dismiss parliament, among others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39173296

Dictator....

But suggesting that welcoming Turkey into the EU had its sub-optimal aspects seems to have been the very worst thing that the Leave campaign did.
  • Options
    Artist said:

justin124 said:

FPT
    Artist said:

Not all Brexiteers voted Tory - yours truly voted Labour in 2015 :)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,369
    edited March 2017

Emma Watson posed in a see-through top for the cover of this month's Vanity Fair magazine, she was accused by some of being anti-feminist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39170490

I presume the same knobbers who think Germaine Greer is a disgrace to the causes of feminism and equality.

Probably not imo.

Anyhoo, the Beeboids have misreported certain details - trolling for outrage-clicks as per, perhaps? The top on the cover isn't seethrough:

I'd say Watson's problem is that she is positioning herself as an English version of Charlotte Church, burbling on about a kind of hectoring feminism that most people rejected some time ago.
This discussion has been closed.