Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Arron Banks v Douglas Carswell. Let’s get ready to rhumble.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Arron Banks v Douglas Carswell. Let’s get ready to rhumble.

In yesterday’s Independent Arron Banks, the UKIP donor, said he would definitively stand against Douglas Carswell in Clacton at the next general election, so Paddy Power have a market up on which of those two will receive the most votes at the next general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2017
    @PolhomeEditor: So ... it looks like the 2015/16 tax return Jeremy Corbyn published on his website today is wrong.

@JasonGroves1: Team Corbyn saying they hired accountants to try and get his tax return right this year. But it's still wrong.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Give us the aspiration we can cause a sensation.
    Give us the motivation we can stop immigration.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    " in Putney at the 1997 general election"
    Sir James came fourth with 3.5% (but he did beat UKIP on 0.5%).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited March 2017
    Is it known that Mr Carswell would like the post of Speaker? He always strikes me as a person who's keen to get things done, rather than someone who enjoys the process involved.

(edited for spelling)
  • Options

Well done for spotting my subtle pop music reference.
  • Options

Subtle? More PB doublespeak

• Options

I'm multitalented. Aside from a thread on the EU exit charge and spotting 90s pop references, I've also made a Turkish delight cheesecake today.

That last is definitely the zenith of today's achievements.
  • Options
    On topic, I'd make it 4/1 against Arron Banks running. He doesn't strike me as the type to deign to submit himself to the electorate.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    I can't see Arron Banks winning, but he could seriously split the UKIP vote.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

I'm multitalented. Aside from a thread on the EU exit charge and spotting 90s pop references, I've also made a Turkish delight cheesecake today.

Bloody hell that sounds fantastic.

It seems our food tastes align rather a lot! Pineapple and striking delight...
  • Options

I really do hope it is/was delicious but it sounds ..... yuk.
  • Options
    Does Corbyn get a salary as LOTO?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I really do hope it is/was delicious but it sounds ..... yuk.
    It really was delicious. A Marcus Wareing recipe but very easy even for a palooka like me.
  • Options

Turkish delight cheesecake.

I've gone all Phoenix Nights and garlic bread.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Does Corbyn get a salary as LOTO?

Yes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

If he ran, & Carswell was a ukip candidate, I'd make the Conservatives favourite I think.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: So ... it looks like the 2015/16 tax return Jeremy Corbyn published on his website today is wrong.

@JasonGroves1: Team Corbyn saying they hired accountants to try and get his tax return right this year. But it's still wrong.

That is quite astonishing.

Isn't it a good job he will never get his mitts on the consolidated fund? Heaven only knows what sort of mess he'd make of handling it.
  • Options
    McDonnell appeared on TV this morning and challenged the chancellor to produce his tax returns. Obviously part of some coordinated plan...

https://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/838480755474878465

We need new ways to characterise this level of incompetence
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Scott_P said:

McDonnell appeared on TV this morning and challenged the chancellor to produce his tax returns. Obviously part of some coordinated plan...

And this idiot could run the country..how? Once was bad enough but two dodgy tax returns in a row..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And quite brilliantly Corbyn has made the story once again about his uselessness rather than Hammond's income or indeed tax policies.

If Stephen Pile were writing now he'd put Corbyn ahead of MacGonagall as the ultimate Heroic Failure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And this idiot could run the country..how? Once was bad enough but two dodgy tax returns in a row..
    If he is prosecuted for tax evasion (the irony of which would of course be delicious) will he have to resign?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    SNAFU, Corbyn can't organise a piss up in a brewery.

http://jeremycorbyn.org.uk/articles/jeremy-corbyn-my-tax-return-2/

Can't get an enlarged version of the Corbyn Tax Return.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,986
    Interesting from I&O. Support for Geert Wilder's PVV by age:

18-25 yrs: 30%
    26-35: 25%
    36-50: 17%
    61-65: 10%
    65+: 2%

Staggering how little support he has from the oldies, and how much from youth.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

If he is prosecuted for tax evasion (the irony of which would of course be delicious) will he have to resign?
    You are not a tax evader if you do not submit your tax returns. Many people don't. But is there any evidence that he does not pay taxes. I am pretty sure 100% of his income is taxed at source.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Would be opposite in the UK.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

You are not a tax evader if you do not submit your tax returns. Many people don't. But is there any evidence that he does not pay taxes. I am pretty sure 100% of his income is taxed at source.
    Failing to declare income on a tax return, whether taxed at source or not, is an offence. It might affect how much tax he is charged on the income from his self-employment (presumably journalism).

If you only have one income taxes via PAYE, it isn't a problem, of course.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    isam said:

If he ran, & Carswell was a ukip candidate, I'd make the Conservatives favourite I think.
    Yes. It's an interesting situation. You might think it would push Carswell back to the Tories, but that would look awful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Top gear - laughs more forced than a hostage reading the prepared statement of a terrorist.
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476
    edited March 2017
    Not much leadership nor opposition. Maybe he didn't feel it right to claim. Fair play.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

Over 50s voting for the over fifties party!!
  • Options
    Will the government lose the vote on the right of EU citizens to remain in the UK when the bill returns to the Commons ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Failing to declare income on a tax return, whether taxed at source or not, is an offence. It might affect how much tax he is charged on the income from his self-employment (presumably journalism).

I don't think Corbyn accepts money for writing. He is not that type. Not like our Ken.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

I don't think Corbyn accepts money for writing. He is not that type. Not like our Ken.
    Where it comes from is irrelevant (although that in itself begs questions). The fact is he has private income requiring self-assessment and it would appear he has failed to declare all his income.

The fine if convicted would not be princely - if my calculations are right it would be about £600 - but if he has missed this money off he's in line for it. How embarrassing would that be?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Pierre Briançon‏Verified account @pierrebri 31m31 minutes ago

Pierre Briançon Retweeted Alain Juppé
    Juppé says he will make a statement tomorrow at 10h30. Probably meaning he won't run and Fillon stays in.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Juppe drifting out on BF.
  • Options
    God corbyn cocked his tax return stunt up AGAIN... No idea how he got 2 x Es at a-level.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    England 200-1 plus 5 batsmen who didn't bother to show up.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    surbiton said:

Will the government lose the vote on the right of EU citizens to remain in the UK when the bill returns to the Commons ?

Only if they want to...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2017
    TSE

Great puns on the last thread......Up there with "No Time Toulouse" and "The Best 4x4 by Far"
  • Options
    Is the more plausible explanation that Corbyn decided not to take the Leader of the Opposition portion of the salary?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

Pierre Briançon‏Verified account @pierrebri 31m31 minutes ago

Pierre Briançon Retweeted Alain Juppé
    Juppé says he will make a statement tomorrow at 10h30. Probably meaning he won't run and Fillon stays in.

I wonder if Macron is Machiavellian enough to have promised him a role in his government.
  • Options

Is the more plausible explanation that Corbyn decided not to take the Leader of the Opposition portion of the salary?

Or that he didn't know about it?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

England 200-1 plus 5 batsmen who didn't bother to show up.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
  • Options

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Like Max, I will be very disappointed if the Govt cave on this because of the virtue signallers in The Other Place.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Like Max, I will be very disappointed if the Govt cave on this because of the virtue signallers in The Other Place.
    Michael Gove is a virtue signaller?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,986

rcs1000 said:

Over 50s voting for the over fifties party!!
    The 50+ Party does surprisingly well with the 36-50 group, but very poorly with the real youngsters.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017

He'd be breaking the Trade Descriptions Act if he did, surely?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    No idea who this person is, but sums up my feelings...

https://twitter.com/davewknight/status/838486679694487552
  • Options

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Unlikely though the amendment for a meaningful vote may be tight depending on how many more conservatives rebel than the 7 last time
  • Options

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
  • Options
    England need 14 from 28 balls
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    "We must be SAD! Literally SAD!"
  • Options

England need 14 from 28 balls

Even england can't f##k this up...surely...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    Well like the Lords he would like the mandate less Mrs May to unilaterally guarantee the rights of 3.2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TSE

Great puns on the last thread......Up there with "No Time Toulouse" and "The Best 4x4 by Far"

Terrible puns from TSE... Sad...
  • Options
    Woakes dropped
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    Well like the Lords he would like the mandate less Mrs May to unilaterally guarantee the rights of 3.2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK.
    Mandateless? Leadsome withdrew...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    So lots of mandateless people want a unilateral guarantee on something - I would be very irate if I were an ex pat.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Surely Corbyn's leader salary would be included on the same P60 as his MPs salary.

Ditto for Ministers - surely their ministerial salary is paid with their MPs salary as one salary from one employer with one P60.

If so, one wonders whether Corbyn actual claimed the higher salary for being leader?

Perhaps he wasn't even aware of it, so never claimed it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Top gear - laughs more forced than a hostage reading the prepared statement of a terrorist.

They've managed to make it, arguably, even worse than the Chris Evans version.

They should have just completely reinvented it. Everything.
    The only people laughing are clarkson and co who now get paid insane amounts of dosh to galavant around the world doing whatever the hell they like.
  • Options
    England win cricket
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surely Corbyn's leader salary would be included on the same P60 as his MPs salary.

Ditto for Ministers - surely their ministerial salary is paid with their MPs salary as one salary from one employer with one P60.

If so, one wonders whether Corbyn actual claimed the higher salary for being leader?

No - it's from the Cabinet Office. MPs are I think paid via Parliament.

Also I have just seen a suggestion that MPs are technically self employed and paid Commission, not a salary, and therefore have to fill in a tax return for this. It seems unlikely, but does anyone know if it is true? If so, and if he took the money, Corbyn may be in rather deeper trouble than I thought. He might be on the hook for around £75,000.
  • Options

England win cricket

Same as it ever was.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    A few things.
    1. You could have at least said "frothing" not "foaming" to increase the troll factor.
    2. Aaron Banks will probably not enjoy your metaphor and may bring a hailstorm of angry Kippers to our tranquil shores
    3. I really really want Turkish delight cheesecake or at least the recipe
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    ITN & Sky picked up Corbyn Tax story.

Guido claims he censored details of Corbyn's Nat Insurance and Taxpayer numbers.

Tis such sport to see the engineer hoist with his own petard.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited March 2017
    Freggles said:

A few things.
    1. You could have at least said "frothing" not "foaming" to increase the troll factor.
    2. Aaron Banks will probably not enjoy your metaphor and may bring a hailstorm of angry Kippers to our tranquil shores
    3. I really really want Turkish delight cheesecake or at least the recipe

I had to use foaming, it was from a memorable speech.

As for the recipe

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/turkish-delight-cheesecake
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Surely Woakes for MOTM. Excellent all round performance and his scoring rate meant that Root was not obliged to take any risks at all.

This WI side is good but they are not Carling. Dropped catches made what should have been tricky easy.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

The backstabber rides again.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

TSE

Puns are supposed to be terrible....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It was always the Clarkson & Co show. A point I'm not sure the BBC really understood.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

No - it's from the Cabinet Office. MPs are I think paid via Parliament.

Also I have just seen a suggestion that MPs are technically self employed and paid Commission, not a salary, and therefore have to fill in a tax return for this. It seems unlikely, but does anyone know if it is true? If so, and if he took the money, Corbyn may be in rather deeper trouble than I thought. He might be on the hook for around £75,000.
    I think we learned last time around that there is a special Revenue form for MPs.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

This surely isn't the way the whole adventure ends? I'm genuinely laughing at this. Obviously for the sake of the nation we need a decent opposition, etc, but surely nothing in politics will ever be as hilariously useless as Labour is currently offering (with, it must be said, admirable supoprt from UKIP).

Off thread - I haven't really drunk more than one glass of wine at a sitting for several years - I much prefer beer nowadays - but I've opened a bottle of something called Apothic red tonight and it''s absolutely unputdownable. It may all be rather gauchely cheap by pb.c standards, but as a non-wine drinker I'm enjoying it tremendously.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    DavidL said:

Surely Woakes for MOTM. Excellent all round performance and his scoring rate meant that Root was not obliged to take any risks at all.

This WI side is good but they are not Carling. Dropped catches made what should have been tricky easy.

This WI side is pathetic ! #9 for nothing !
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

'Cos you got Gove
    Gove
    Gove on your side
    'Cos you got Gove
    Gove
    Gove on your side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66cGvR5yvU
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

SeanT said:

It was always the Clarkson & Co show. A point I'm not sure the BBC really understood.
    And conversely they try to turn shows which are not personality driven into 'star' vehicles. Not Sunday Morning Politics but The Marr Show...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    And when was Gove last on the wrong side of an argument? I am pretty certain in this instance that his wife has advised him that sticking up for these people will create the illusion that he has a human side to him. Sad.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Just had the absolute joy of condemning Corbyn in Nye Bevan's words:

if [he] is sincere in what he is saying, and he may be, then he is too stupid to be a Prime Minister."
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

Roger said:

TSE

Puns are supposed to be terrible....
    And TSE never disappoints ....
  • Options

SeanT said:

And conversely they try to turn shows which are not personality driven into 'star' vehicles. Not Sunday Morning Politics but The Marr Show...
    Peston on Sunday :)
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Notwithstanding pb's header obsession with UKIP's inevitable decline, laying Banks to become an MP anytime, anywhere, ever, is like finding money in the street. I appreciate that isn't a viable bet but you get my drift.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    And when was Gove last on the wrong side of an argument? I am pretty certain in this instance that his wife has advised him that sticking up for these people will create the illusion that he has a human side to him. Sad.
    As with so very many other things, Gove is absolutely right on this.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

This surely isn't the way the whole adventure ends? I'm genuinely laughing at this. Obviously for the sake of the nation we need a decent opposition, etc, but surely nothing in politics will ever be as hilariously useless as Labour is currently offering (with, it must be said, admirable supoprt from UKIP).

Off thread - I haven't really drunk more than one glass of wine at a sitting for several years - I much prefer beer nowadays - but I've opened a bottle of something called Apothic red tonight and it''s absolutely unputdownable. It may all be rather gauchely cheap by pb.c standards, but as a non-wine drinker I'm enjoying it tremendously.
    Apothic has the weirdest website ever, written in (I think) Flash and doesn't work in Chrome but does in ms Edge: how early-2000s is that?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

The only person he ever arguably stabbed in the back was Boris and we should all be eternally grateful for that selfless act.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

I disagree. Instead of putting pressure on the EU to make a quick and simple deal for both the UK and EU citizens, it turns the UK ex-pats into bargaining chips.

• Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    No he isn't. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and even if it wasn't, the UK government's most fundamental obligation is to put the interest of UK geese before those of foreign ganders.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    May has no more or less of a mandate than any other Prime Minister we have ever had. She has a mandate from being able to command a majority in Parliament which is exactly the same as any other PM.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    May has no more or less of a mandate than any other Prime Minister we have ever had. She has a mandate from being able to command a majority in Parliament which is exactly the same as any other PM.
    TSE's misogyny is showing :)
  • Options
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

I disagree. Instead of putting pressure on the EU to make a quick and simple deal for both the UK and EU citizens, it turns the UK ex-pats into bargaining chips.

Well you are wrong. Simple. It is to the benefit of this country to ensure that EU citizens who already form a part of our society are absolutely clear on our commitment to them. Using them as bargaining chips helps no one.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?

Listening to a report on EU citizens it seems it is a lot more complicated than just saying they can stay. All kind of rights and welfare benefits together with rights to become British citizens are involved and the same applies to ex pats.

I agree with the sentiment that EU citizens must be allowed to remain but it needs to be part of a comprehensive EU UK deal and for that reason I believe the Lords amendment should be rejected by the HOC and the PM allowed to make it her first priority on the day she serves A50
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The only people laughing are clarkson and co who now get paid insane amounts of dosh to galavant around the world doing whatever the hell they like.
    I thought, after a hopeful beginning, the Grand Tour was seriously flawed. Over scripted. Forced. But there were still moments of comic genius. And it has Clarkson. So there are grounds for optimism.

This new new Top Gear is unbearable. Euthanise
    IMO The grand Tour was 1/3 episodes crap, 1/3 ok, 1/3 up there with best old top gear episodes ever...but 100% of them still better than new top gear.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    No he isn't. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, and even if it wasn't, the UK government's most fundamental obligation is to put the interest of UK geese before those of foreign ganders.
    Using EU citizens as hostages to fortune will not help the Brits in Europe one bit. Besides the duty of the Government is to do what is best for the country as a whole. Not just for those who have decided to go and live elsewhere.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited March 2017
    Latest Kantar with Juppe

Le Pen 27% Juppe 24.5% Macron 20%. So Le Pen v Juppe runoff

With Fillon Hamon is just 1% behind him and it is a Le Pen v Macron runoff

Le Pen 26% Macron 25% Fillon 17% Hamon 16%

http://fr.kantar.com/elections/presidentielle/2017/intentions-de-vote-francois-fillon-nettement-distance-par-marine-le-pen-et-emmanuel-macron/
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    Surely that isn't a viable jibe? If the leadership election had gone to a members' vote, there would have been a choice of two women.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Scott_P said:

They are just trolling us now...

twitter.com/owenjbennett/status/838490989459296257

Couldn't organize a piss up in brewery mother friendly, all religious denomination appropriate, post work social.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    AnneJGP said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

Only if they want to...
    Is he a Lord now?
    Surely that isn't a viable jibe? If the leadership election had gone to a members' vote, there would have been a choice of two women.
    TSE was the leading proponent of the epithet Andrea "Loathsome".
This discussion has been closed.