Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May breaks her word and calls an early general electio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May breaks her word and calls an early general election for June 8th of this year

Can she satisfy or circumvent The Fixed-term Parliament Act? pic.twitter.com/pkKaBrVPuF

Read the full story here

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    edited April 2017
    First like Farron!!

The only way is UP.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,783
    What a woman!!!!

EU Go Girl!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2017
    Tessie came out fighting there!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Re: Labour. The leadership and Shadow Cabinet could vote in favour of the election, whilst the rest of the MPs could vote against. Perfect way to start an election campaign.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Wow. Expect to see looped clips of May's frequent "politics is NOT a game" intonations, against this transparently opportunistic tactic.

If Labour really do vote for this, they're dumber than anyone thought.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,132
    Is OGH on holiday? Yet another major political event...
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnMoynes: Corbyn has just announced Labour's campaign will be launched on June 9th.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited April 2017
    Will Labour try to block her?
    edited April 2017
    Danny565 said:

Wow. Expect to see looped clips of May's frequent "politics is NOT a game" intonations, against this transparently opportunistic tactic.

They have no choice. Voting against would be another nail in an already well made coffin.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    She doesn`t really know what to do now, so she chickens out. The really has put the country in a dreadful mess.
    Artist said:

Re: Labour. The leadership and Shadow Cabinet could vote in favour of the election, whilst the rest of the MPs could vote against. Perfect way to start an election campaign.

That would mean the motion fails, unless the SNP voted for it.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Danny565 said:

If they vote it down, they're even more screwed.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    Pigeons, meet cat.

Obviously the Tories' private polling matched the 21% leads from over the weekend. Game on!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,181
    It is brilliant.

So many ducks in a row/fish in a barrel.
    Scott_P said:

@JohnMoynes: Corbyn has just announced Labour's failed campaign will be launched on June 9th.

Fixed for you.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Labour have to agree.

Will they?
    @jamesrbuk: For clarity: May needs 434 or more votes; not 2/3rds of the MPs who vote. So Labour can't abstain, they'd need to vote in favour.
    The SNP won't be too pleased; there is no upside for them.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Danny565 said:

Labour can't vote again it... no opposition would give up an opportunity for governement, when if they don't actually have one.
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Worst case: we get to see Corbyn tying himself in knots explaining why Labour won't vote for an early election.

Best case: we get to see Corbyn trying to run a General Election campaign.

I'm salivating.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Overdue and very sensible. Always kick your opponents when they're down.
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    She had to do it, didn't she. I would've.
  • BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    What happens to Gorton now, then...?
    The way Tessie went for corbyn from the off, I think she is going to grind him into the ground.
    IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

They have no choice. Voting against would be another nail in an already well made coffin.
    Even if that's true, it wouldn't be a coffin they'd get shut in for another 3 years, if they successfully blocked an early election.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    LOL, I hope this happens. Labour needs it in order to survive in the long-term politically.
    Artist said:

A group of turkeys are asked whether they want to vote for Xmas. The catch is that they hate the head turkey and only some of them will be spared the slaughter but the head will definitely go afterwards.

hmm...
    IanB2 said:

Not so, they'll presumably campaign on Indyref2.
  • PClipp said:

She doesn`t really know what to do now, so she chickens out. The really has put the country in a dreadful mess.

Clear leadership - interesting times
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    A shabby statement from the Prime Minister.

A government with a majority cuts and runs and the PM breaks her word for narrow party advantage.

Shameful.

She didn't just kick them, she took an almighty run up and smashed them in the knackers in that speech!
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2017
    I see no downside to Labour blocking it. "It'd show they're not serious about being in government".. erm no one thinks they are at the moment anyway.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I reckon that 23% Labour rating with YouGov did it.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Headline is wrong, she cannot call a general election, merely announced a motion for parliament to vote on whether or not there should be one. A ploy to soft sell a begging bowl agreement on Brexit where we pay more money for less.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Well done Gina Miller.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,783
    I bet the calculation was the Jezza won't survive the aftermath of the local's and Gorton...
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Great news. Goodbye Corbyn.
    AndyJS said:

That Con 1% lead in the North with ComRes was pretty devastating too!
    Corbyn's best plan would be to vote against.

He would be cricified in the press. Plus ca change...

They still can't shift him. And Tezza's Brexit would be derailed.
  • Faisal Islam expects Theresa May to get the numbers tomorrow
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140

And makes the various potential police-investigation-related by-elections moot, presumably.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    just turned on the tv and saw the news - lol - something about a dockside hooker comes to mind
    AndyJS said:

I suspect she asked her husband's advice whilst walking over Easter. A good way to mull over a problem away from aides.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

@JohnMoynes: Corbyn has just announced Labour's campaign will be launched on June 9th.

Beyond irony to see a Remoaner retweeting that.
    GIN1138 said:

I bet the calculation was the Jezza won't survive the aftermath of the local's and Gorton...

Indeed. This is May's only chance to have a GE with Corbyn as leader before labour get their act together.
    May's nature would suggest she has been brooding on this for a while, and didn't just get up in the morning, see Labour's worst ever opposition poll rating, and decide to go for it.
  • freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Big respect for TM
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

As early as that? :lol:
    edited April 2017
    PClipp said:

Bullshit...This is the best thing for the country. We get to choose and most likely we get rid of corbyn and get a functioning opposition rather than another 3 years of the only thing opposing the Tories are themselves.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Tom Blenkinsop says he won't stand. Who else I wonder?
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    If Labour MPs care about their party, they'll vote for an early GE. The only way at this stage that they can get Corbyn out and hope to salvage the party. The party is literally dead, buried with Corbyn and those who think like him at the helm.
  • BudGBudG Posts: 711
    Biggest obstacle to an election might be the Lords
    Scott_P said:

Oh boy - buy shares in popcorn makers
    The timing suggests she has been planning this for a while. Early June election with an announcement giving her 6/7 weeks to campaign.
    An interesting question is whether the boundary commission would have to start again, for the third time, or whether there is any way the proposals can still be produced and voted through in 2018?
    David Macmillan‏ @bbcdmacmillan

Labour's @TomBlenkinsop announces he will not seek re-election as MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.

Here we go......
  • David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    JackW said:

A shabby statement from the Prime Minister.

A government with a majority cuts and runs and the PM breaks her word for narrow party advantage.

Shameful.

Politician exercises political strategy.

Shameful.
    Artist said:

I see no downside to Labour blocking it. "It'd show they're not serious about being in government".. erm no one thinks they are at the moment anyway.

Agreed.

And the SNP don't want it either. They could argue they vote against the Tories on principle and get away with it (with their supporters)
    PClipp said:

care to explain ?

The way Tessie went for corbyn from the off, I think she is going to grind him into the ground.

It was always going to be a GE focused on 'leadership' from the moment the £3 idiots elected Corbyn.

This is going to be popcorn-tastic slaughter.
  • Normally Mike goes on holiday late May and early June.

This year his holiday begins July 1st
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Chance this might backfire with the public? She gave her word there wouldn't be and she has gone back on it even it makes sense to do so with brexit negotiations being affected by having a small majority.

I can't see how Labour do not get absolutely massacred. Corbyn on an actual GE election campaign coupled with all the press after him and digging into his past...
    @RichardJMurphy: Theresa May notes Erdogan’s ‘success’ and decides to consolidate her power. Heaven help us all
  • It took all my self restraint not to headline this piece

'Mrs May proves shes a pound shop Gordon Brown'

She didn't just kick them, she took an almighty run up and smashed them in the knackers in that speech!
    As jack says another perfidious Tory puts party ahead of country, they are not called the nasty party for nothing. They may get a shock with leave voters les than happy that they are trying to sell out on Brexit.
    On the plus-side, if this does happen, it'll be the first time I've voted in a marginal seat!

(Mind you, my old formerly safe Lab seat would be a marginal on current polling.)
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am rather hoping that Labour refuses to play ball here!
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    BudG said:

It doesn't need the Lords.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888

Labour's @TomBlenkinsop announces he will not seek re-election as MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.

Here we go......

He had no chance.
    Labour will spend most of this campaign working on next leader sub-campaigns.
    Essexit said:

Worst case: we get to see Corbyn tying himself in knots explaining why Labour won't vote for an early election.

Best case: we get to see Corbyn trying to run a General Election campaign.

I'm salivating.

LOL - it really is simplistically brutal by the tories
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2017
    Fenster said:

The timing suggests she has been planning this for a while. Early June election with an announcement giving her 6/7 weeks to campaign.

The expenses scandal presumably is the actual trigger. It is said the party has been polling the affected constituencies.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,980
    IanB2 said:

May's nature would suggest she has been brooding on this for a while, and didn't just get up in the morning, see Labour's worst ever opposition poll rating, and decide to go for it.

I think the response from the EU since A50 is what's done it. She's realised she holds absolutely no cards at all and thinks that winning a big majority will strengthen her hand.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Theresa Will
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Wow.

Yesterday I remarked that The problem with Clegg's FTPA (and, specifically, Osborne's five year amendment to it) is that there are two conflicting things that the good of the country requires: a functioning opposition and hard Leftism to be trounced at an election since the lesson of 1983 has apparently been forgotten - it looks like May has found a way to square the circle.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

IanB2 said:

I think the response from the EU since A50 is what's done it. She's realised she holds absolutely no cards at all and thinks that winning a big majority will strengthen her hand.
    LOL I'd love to go on holiday inside your head.

Loool - I missed it but might have to take a look now
    BudG said:

? They are using the act, not repealing it
    Mr. G, the Lords opposing an election that had the backing of the Commons would not be helpful to them in the long term.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Always thought TM would do this at some point - the longer she left it, the more chance Labour got rid of Jezza, and the daily grind of difficult negotiations would grind away her poll lead.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

PClipp said:

Bullshit...This is the best thing for the country. We get to choose and most likely we get rid of corbyn and get a functioning opposition rather than another 3 years of the only thing opposing the Tories are themselves.
    +1 - anyone would think the LDs are frit. they only seem to like by-elections.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    The smart play from Corbyn now would be to resign with immediate effect. That would give Labour MPs credible reasons to vote against an early general election. Obviously, Corbyn is not smart so he'll be resigning on 9th June instead. But the good news is that we are going to get a functioning opposition rather sooner than expected.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,677
    edited April 2017
    IanB2 said:

I would expect the SNP to bargain their 50 odd MPs against getting a commitment to Indyref2. We will vote for dissolution providing you give us one (bearing in mind you rejected it earlier on the grounds that referendums, elections etc are distraction from Brexit. Expect to hear the words "Now's not the time" repeated ad nauseam. Whether those 50 MPs will make or break the two thirds is another matter.
    Go LibDems - first out of the gate with a reaction!

I wonder when Labour's National Executive Press Release sub committee is next due to meet?

And makes the various potential police-investigation-related by-elections moot, presumably.
    No. if the investigated candidates are convicted later, they'll still have to resign. Of course, that will be a minor annoyance if the government majority is 200.
    LibDems sounding like they will vote for GE
    (((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Another good thing about this. We now have a defining moment. The Left always said voters wanted a proper choice. Now they have one.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    The prospect of Mr Corbyn as Prime Minister does not appeal, even with his wondrous Front Bench forming the Cabinet.

Good morning everyone.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    IanB2 said:

I wonder when Labour's National Executive Press Release sub committee is next due to meet?

Paddy Power‏Verified account @paddypower 8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Jeremy Corbyn is in for a shock when he wakes up in 45 minutes. #GeneralElection
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    I just booked Friday 9th June as holiday :)
    IanB2 said:

After the Morning Star has had a latte with Seamus.
    justin124 said:

I am rather hoping that Labour refuses to play ball here!

They would be sensible to leave Tories on the Brexit hook, come 2020 and UK is facing a bleak future after dire Brexit , Labour could do well.

The smart play from Corbyn now would be to resign with immediate effect. That would give Labour MPs credible reasons to vote against an early general election. Obviously, Corbyn is not smart so he'll be resigning on 9th June instead. But the good news is that we are going to get a functioning opposition rather sooner than expected.

He won't resign before Labour Conference and a deal over the leadership election rule amendment IMHO
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I just booked Friday 9th June as holiday :)

Snap - me too!
    @DPJHodges: Just had another thought. Are we going to have TV debates. May v Corbyn?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,941
    Hot take from reasonably sane Scottish Unionist.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/854277928322052097
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,215
    edited April 2017
    It's my girlfriend's birthday on June 8th.

#IHateTheresaMay
    Good morning, Miss JGP.
    How many of the Lab MPs who voted for Corbyn to stand in the Lab leadership election are likely to lose their seats?
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

The first of many such announcements I suspect, moderate PLP must be relieved it’s all over.
This discussion has been closed.