Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Mike Smithson was right about his theory about the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Mike Smithson was right about his theory about the reasons for an early general election

BREAKING: The CPS have told Channel 4 News tonight that they are considering charges against more than 30 individuals. #electionexpenses

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited April 2017
    Tories out ! A strong CPS will continue with the cases regardless of whether the same candidates are there or not.

I still think the decision to go for the election is because of the "divorce bill". She could not get through any settlement beyond £20 bn with her current majority.

Of course, it would still be unpopular but she would not have to worry about the people for 5 years. She will have fooled the people as she has fooled her party all these years.

The most unsuccessful Home Secretary in living memory campaigning on immigration, on which she herself spectacularly failed.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Indeed. The alleged number is significantly high, given the reportedly high bar for charges.
  • Options
    2nd like corbyn
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    This is a disaster for Theresa May. She could be facing a reduction in her majority to, say, 75 or 95
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    30? She better win a BIG majority
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    My facebook feed is already full of Tory hating posts, which it was at the last two general elections as well. Learn, you thick twats!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Oh, I am stunned.

Best be careful this time, Tories. Everyone breaks the rules a bit, but it appears you have egregiously and repeatedly.
  • Options
    The next GE in 2020 call by OGH - not so much.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Shocking.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    John Woodcock not prepared to back Corbyn as Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/854392447882887169
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    FPT:

Pedant mode, but haven't they been considering them since they received the files? :smiley:
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    So the Tories are a bunch of cheating, lying scumbags! We need independent election monitors in this country or it will truly become a banana republic one party state.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    How, exactly, does such a person stand under the banner of a leader they have so little faith in? I know Corbyn disliked Blair, but was he ever so bold in criticism? Has to be indy, surely?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I'm clearly an old fashioned lawyer but the CPS doing a running commentary strikes me as, at best, inappropriate. Charge or don't charge but drop the might and perhaps. They are serial failures so are desperate to look half way competent so that perhaps explains it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

2nd like corbyn

Labour to come third: you heard it here first...
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    murali_s said:

....We need independent election monitors in this country or it will truly become a banana republic one party state.

The job is half-done. We have been a one party state for a while.

Brexit should take care of the other half of the job :D
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    As amusing as Crick's little masturbatory reverie has been, I think it demonstrates how deep is leftish delusion at the moment. Crick and C4 news honestly thought, apropos nothing, they were on to a MAJOR scandal that was going to rock Tories to their knees and open the door for Comrade Jez's ascendence.

Delusion is a beautiful but tragic thing.
  • Options
    Mr. Matt, not a lawyer (old-fashioned or otherwise), but I agree.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

So the Tories are a bunch of cheating, lying scumbags! We need independent election monitors in this country or it will truly become a banana republic one party state.

They didn't fiddle the votes, they spent more than they were supposed to (allegedly) - a crime which deserves punishment, but not exactly stuffing ballot boxes.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Innocent until proven guilty old bean.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited April 2017
    It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.
  • Options
    There wasn't any fiddling.
    The CPS won't prosecute.
    This isn't a scandal.
    George Osborne is never coming back.

Some things you have to let go, TSE.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Indeed. The alleged number is significantly high, given the reportedly high bar for charges.

Wonder how many are MPs?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

This is a disaster for Theresa May. She could be facing a reduction in her majority to, say, 75 or 95

Just think of the narrative, sleazy Tories, Mrs May frightened to debate...

Might save Labour from a wipeout.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I think it's not the expenses issue per se, but the interaction between the expenses issue and trying to negotiate Brexit which will have been the decisive consideration for Theresa May.
  • Options
    calum said:

Wonder how many are MPs?
    Wonder if any are household names.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

Dimbleby opines that other parties may "empty chair" the Cons in a TV debate.

They should.

No political party should be able to torpedo debates.
    Most unlikely to happen. Presume they would be taken off the air by legal challenges, Besides, without the Prime Minister involved, how many people (especially those more inclined to support her anyway, whose minds the other parties need to change) would bother to watch anyway?
    What would the legal challenge be ?

We we not invited ? ... :smiley:

An empty chair with a pair of leopard skin shoes underneath would be worth a view.
    Surely if May is invited what can they do ? If it is a Brexit election it is worth hearing the other party leaders.
    It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.
    Ironically, only sky will have the guts to do it. The BBC obviously won't.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Just think of the narrative, sleazy Tories, Mrs May frightened to debate...

Might save Labour from a wipeout.
    PB Tories 4 Corbyn live in hope.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    When's the next PLP meeting? Was there one today?
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, fewer than half, I'd guess (I think it was around 12 constituencies that were being looked at).

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

But May can lay the blame at Cameron's door. And that doesn't alter the fact it's her or Corbyn.

Hard to say how it'll play. Charges during the election campaign would be... interesting.
  • Options

Mr. Calum, fewer than half, I'd guess (I think it was around 12 constituencies that were being looked at).

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

But May can lay the blame at Cameron's door. And that doesn't alter the fact it's her or Corbyn.

Hard to say how it'll play. Charges during the election campaign would be... interesting.

A bit like the FBI and Clinton's emails?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited April 2017
    The Tories spent a bit more than they should have in Cameron's 2015 election campaign in a few seats, I doubt it affects this election campaign that much beyond a few seats needing new candidates and agents
  • Options
    TSE your May denialism makes you go to some very strange and dark places.

Perhaps you'd feel more at peace if you came to terms with the emergence of May as the greatest Tory PM since Thatcher.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

May has a touch of Clinton about her and the poll leads to boot.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

As amusing as Crick's little masturbatory reverie has been, I think it demonstrates how deep is leftish delusion at the moment. Crick and C4 news honestly thought, apropos nothing, they were on to a MAJOR scandal that was going to rock Tories to their knees and open the door for Comrade Jez's ascendence.

Delusion is a beautiful but tragic thing.

Rubbish. Crick is an old fashioned gumshoe journo who had a good story.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

Except her Chief of Staff was involved in Thanet South.

She can't blame the ancien régime.

The CPS have balls, they've charged and imprisoned 4 or 5 past or serving MPs in recent years, including a cabinet minister.
  • Options
    Mr. D, yes. But Corbyn isn't as competent as Trump.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Perhaps you'd feel more at peace if you came to terms with the emergence of May as the greatest Tory PM since Thatcher.

When did she emerge as such? Doesn't she need to achieve things first? She hasn't had time for that yet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tories spent a bit more than they should have in Cameron's 2015 election campaign in a few seats, I doubt it affects this election campaign that much beyond a few seats needing new candidates and agents

£200,000 more.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

How, exactly, does such a person stand under the banner of a leader they have so little faith in? I know Corbyn disliked Blair, but was he ever so bold in criticism? Has to be indy, surely?
    Labour4Trident.com
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

Er, didn't Clinton once ask why she wasn't twenty points ahead in the polls? :p
  • Options
    The CPS have to show probable cause and weigh up the likelihood of a successful prosecution. Which you, as a professional law-doer are disingenuously pretending is much more likely than it is.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Labour should hire this guy as an advisor !

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/854398631906086913
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Tories out ! A strong CPS will continue with the cases regardless of whether the same candidates are there or not.

I still think the decision to go for the election is because of the "divorce bill". She could not get through any settlement beyond £20 bn with her current majority.

Of course, it would still be unpopular but she would not have to worry about the people for 5 years. She will have fooled the people as she has fooled her party all these years.

The most unsuccessful Home Secretary in living memory campaigning on immigration, on which she herself spectacularly failed.

Mainly because of EU workers pre Brexit and crime fell on her watch as Home Secretary
  • Options

Nonsense. Thatcher would have put up a candidate in Richmond Park, Mrs May is frit, as evidenced by her failure to debate Corbyn.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

I'm struggling, and failing, to imagine any two leading politicians more different than Clinton and May, (leaving aside Trump who's different from everyone, of course).
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, but do they have brains?

Operation Charge Old White Men has a pretty high failure rate. And there was the case Mr. Charles referred to here some time ago, during Starmer's period as head of the CPS.
  • Options

Nonsense. Thatcher would have put up a candidate in Richmond Park, Mrs May is frit, as evidenced by her failure to debate Corbyn.
    Honestly how long are you going to be salty that she castrated your boy Gideon?

Years? Decades? Life?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

Most unlikely to happen. Presume they would be taken off the air by legal challenges, Besides, without the Prime Minister involved, how many people (especially those more inclined to support her anyway, whose minds the other parties need to change) would bother to watch anyway?

An empty chair with a pair of leopard skin shoes underneath would be worth a view.
    Surely if May is invited what can they do ? If it is a Brexit election it is worth hearing the other party leaders.

Would this be the same Sky that is currently awaiting regulatory approval for its acquisition by Fox?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Richmond was just a tactical retreat, like when Caesar withdrew after Dyrrachium.

/trollusmaximus
  • Options

Years? Decades? Life?
    It is nothing to do with the sacking of George.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Richmond was just a tactical retreat, like when Caesar withdrew after Dyrrachium.

/trollusmaximus

So what was her Pharsalus moment?
  • Options

Years? Decades? Life?
    It is nothing to do with the sacking of George.
    Chinny reckon, as we used to say in the day.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

When did she emerge as such? Doesn't she need to achieve things first? She hasn't had time for that yet.
    Wasn't a necessary qualification for being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, after all. :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

I'm struggling, and failing, to imagine any two leading politicians more different than Clinton and May, (leaving aside Trump who's different from everyone, of course).
    Really? Been around for years. Political operators. Tough. Not liked much. Followed on from much more charismatic predecessor. Been dreaming of the top job for years.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

Wasn't a necessary qualification for being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, after all. :smile:
    A fair point indeed.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    FPT
    Omnium said:

» show previous quotes
    These ideas may individually get over the wire in their acceptance in Scotland, but they're far from accepted as a package.

The relatively pragmatic Tories are far from your enemy if you want an independent Scotland. Your actual enemy is clearly the somewhat brighter bloke that lives next door.

Nobody within miles is brighter than me so that one does not resonate.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

£200,000 more.
    I doubt voters will care much beyond the seats concerned and even there I doubt it makes much difference, in US elections they spend far more and most of all it happened when Cameron was Tory leader not May
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

She's female, you mean? Or a touch of President Clinton?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Years? Decades? Life?
    Please refrain from using 4chan Russian alt-right terminology like "salty" on here

Snowflake and triggered are banned as well, except when I use them e.g. This morning
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Is there anyone who can drag Diane Abbott away from the cameras? Things aren't looking good for Labour as it is and she must be shedding votes every moment she's on. Who cares whether the Tories fiddled their election expenses. It wouldn't have altered anything.
  • Options
    I mean May's about to deliver a Thatcher-level extinction event to her opposition without and the enemies within, and best of all, they NEVER SAW IT COMING.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

May is politically astute in choosing to let Corbyn do what he does. Thatcher would have totally destroyed him. I can't imagine that I'll form a line on the streets for Mrs May's funeral, but I did for her. Margaret Thatcher was a bit special.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Mr. Eagles, maybe.

She's female, you mean? Or a touch of President Clinton?
    I think they have more in common than gender.
  • Options

Indeed.

The PM will be returned with a handsome majority but her specific judgement on various issues has been lamentable. She has the great good fortune in being opposed by a LotO so poor that an investigation by Trading Standards is substantially overdue.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

£200,000 more.
    I doubt voters will care much beyond the seats concerned and even there I doubt it makes much difference, in US elections they spend far more
    If they broke the rules they should be punished, otherwise why bother having the damn things? If the rules are stupid they should changed, not ignored. And the issues were too systemic to have been accidental everywhere, if the charges are true, it would have been intentional.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Is there anyone who can drag Diane Abbott away from the cameras? Things aren't looking good for Labour as it is and she must be shedding votes every moment she's on. Who cares whether the Tories fiddled their election expenses. It wouldn't have altered anything.

She seemed to have been off the screens for a few months at least, but has been popping up a lot again lately.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

TSE's dislike of Mrs May is(IMHO) all to do with the fact that her choice of shoes is infinitely preferable to his.

Its the feminine side of him that's kicking off. It'll calm down eventually.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Channel 4 , ignore. Fake news merchants.
  • Options
    JackW said:

A bucket of snake oil would be more appropriate
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

Channel 4 , ignore. Fake news merchants.

After that fiasco over the London terror attack suspect I'm surprised C4 are still on air...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, 8 June. But...

Mr. Omnium, if the election goes ahead. Labour have to back it.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

TSE's dislike of Mrs May is(IMHO) all to do with the fact that her choice of shoes is infinitely preferable to his.

Its the feminine side of him that's kicking off. It'll calm down eventually.
    I've never known pms to last *this* long....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    The CPS has no business in the world to be telling journalists in advance what it is considering: either charge or not, but shut up about it. That creep Starmer started the habit of announcing charges at press conferences as a way of getting himself known: and this is conduct which if it took place after, rather than immediately before, the bringing of charges would be contempt of court.

They have been undone by their own sloth, though. If they had been in a position to bring charges today, that would have been a game changer. Dripping poison about their vague intentions into the ears of journalists doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Imagine a whole elction campaign like this.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/854401993389092865
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Tory sabotage to stop him rallying his troops.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

£200,000 more.
    I doubt voters will care much beyond the seats concerned and even there I doubt it makes much difference, in US elections they spend far more and most of all it happened when Cameron was Tory leader not May
    LOL only a Tory could come out with that bollox. They are lying cheating toerags and should be jailed , banana republic does not describe it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Is there anyone who can drag Diane Abbott away from the cameras?

Only a combination of Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko at a pinch.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Roger said:

I thought I was enjoying this but now I'm wondering whether I'm just having hysterics.
  • Options
    FTSE drops 180 points. You would have expected big business to support the Tories.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    kle4 said:

:Let's take Woodcock's reasoning backwards here :

Through some miracle or other Labour get 270 seats, enough for a coalition or minority gov't with the SNP (They are one vote short).
    Farron says he can't countenance Corbyn as PM and will support for Hammond (May has resigned perhaps) to have the support of the house. But they are one vote short - the support of the Commons depends on Woodcock after taking all votes in the round into account - does he HONESTLY vote against the Labour Queens speech or abstain or some such if his is the neccesary vote ?
    His position is utterly ludicrous I'm afraid if he decides to run as a Labour & Coop candidate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

He'll be knackered though after all that time avoiding the available seats.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Stuck in the toilets again?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FTSE drops 180 points. You would have expected big business to support the Tories.

Half of that was pre-anouncement.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    dr_spyn said:
    They should just carry on without him. Hoping the election campaign follows the same path...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

No comment on Sterling? :p
  • Options

Did you castigate Cameron for his yuge reluctance to debate with (in English English) the Milidweeb? What's different?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

He'll be knackered though after all that time avoiding the available seats.
    Not as knacked as he will be after working everyday for next 7 weeks. He will need 3 months off as time in lieu.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Am I the only person that thinks this market (https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131081552) is staggeringly good value.

To trigger an election under the FTPA you need the votes of two-thirds of the Commons. I believe there will be - and this is a technical term - a metric shit tonne of abstentions. A great many Labour MPs, and even quite a few Conservative and SNP MPs, will say "Obviously, I would have voted in favour, but I was out campaigning". It is quite possible the government comes up short at the first attempt.

Of course, there will be a simple one line enabling bill tabled. But could it cause the election to slip by a week or two? Yes.

It is probably an 85% probability the election is on 8 June. But the odds suggest a 97-98% probability. That's a great value bet, and one where there might be multiple trading opportunities to leave the party with a profit.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    The job of the right wing press from this point on is to tie every viable replacement labour leader to corbyn.

The job of every viable replacement labour leader is to avoid being tied to Corbyn at all costs.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Look at the pound - rocketed today
  • Options
    surbiton said:

They don't like uncertainty.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

surbiton said:

They don't like uncertainty.
    Or the £ going up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

:Let's take Woodcock's reasoning backwards here :

Through some miracle or other Labour get 270 seats, enough for a coalition or minority gov't with the SNP (They are one vote short).
    Farron says he can't countenance Corbyn as PM and will support for Hammond (May has resigned perhaps) to have the support of the house. But they are one vote short - the support of the Commons depends on Woodcock after taking all votes in the round into account - does he HONESTLY vote against the Labour Queens speech or abstain or some such if his is the neccesary vote ?
    His position is utterly ludicrous I'm afraid if he decides to run as a Labour & Coop candidate.
    We may see more of this. A lot more. Vote for me as a decent Labour MP, forget Corbyn, he'll be gone soon etc etc
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Driven by falls in commodities and strength of £; yugely welcome to petty market timers looking to punt this year's £20 000 into a dip.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

geoffw said:

They should.

Would this be the same Sky that is currently awaiting regulatory approval for its acquisition by Fox?
    Ironically, a very good opportunity to declare their independence.
This discussion has been closed.