Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 looks such a certainty that it could end up like GE2001

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 looks such a certainty that it could end up like GE2001 – boring with a low turnout

Many of the Labour MPs who will be voting for a general election this afternoon will be doing so in the pretty certain knowledge that they are ending their political careers earlier than planned.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    First, like Mrs May and the blue lovelies.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

kle4 said:

I see guido was mocking labour for not having a campaign slogan ready to go. What is the Tory slogan? The lds I assume are going for 'open, tolerant and united', I've seen that plastered in many places these last months.

'Stability and security', as the slogan? Keep it simple.

"Destroy all traitors", judging by the front pages of the Sun and Mail today.

I suspect they'll go for a slightly more conciliatory tone. But I hope those headlines cost the Tories a few votes - perfectly designed to tell any waverers 'you may hate corbyn, but you cannot sit this one out'.

Surprised no ones photoshopped May as a Dalek.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Boring and predictable will not motivate the electorate to turn out in great numbers as seen with Brexit. 60-65% turnout has become the norm for an average general election, so unless a black swan appears on the scene, I’d expect the lower end.
  • Options
    Probably will be boring. I'm expecting the tory lead to come in a bit, perhaps even to since figures, and people to get overexcited by a good showing by the lds in be locals, beer return to 12-13 point lead for the result. The complacency that will be inevitable and non corbynsas terrified labour will be annihilated returning o the fold will see the worst avoided, even as more casual voters stay home.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I see guido was mocking labour for not having a campaign slogan ready to go. What is the Tory slogan? The lds I assume are going for 'open, tolerant and united', I've seen that plastered in many places these last months.

I suspect they'll go for a slightly more conciliatory tone. But I hope those headlines cost the Tories a few votes - perfectly designed to tell any waverers 'you may hate corbyn, but you cannot sit this one out'.

It's such a shame it is Corbyn. I cannot vote for a party he leads. I suspect there are many more like me. May and the cabinet she leads are profoundly mediocre and her constant pandering to the right wing press is a sign of immense weakness; but when the choice is her or Corbyn it is perfectly understandable that most voters have concluded there is no choice.

The one good thing in all this is that it is happening three years earlier than expected. That means there is now slightly more of a chance that I will live to see another Labour government; or, failing that, the creation of a new centre-left party that can seriously challenge for power.

I continue to be hugely grateful that I was born when I was.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    I suspect that the Remainers will be motivated and many Leavers confused.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Dull election will lead to low turnout and magnify those who vote - the old. Not good for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Probably will be boring. I'm expecting the tory lead to come in a bit, perhaps even to since figures, and people to get overexcited by a good showing by the lds in be locals, beer return to 12-13 point lead for the result. The complacency that will be inevitable and non corbynsas terrified labour will be annihilated returning o the fold will see the worst avoided, even as more casual voters stay home.

The most motivated voters in the election will be die hard Remainers and the Scots.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It's such a shame it is Corbyn. I cannot vote for a party he leads. I suspect there are many more like me. May and the cabinet she leads are profoundly mediocre and her constant pandering to the right wing press is a sign of immense weakness; but when the choice is her or Corbyn it is perfectly understandable that most voters have concluded there is no choice.

The one good thing in all this is that it is happening three years earlier than expected. That means there is now slightly more of a chance that I will live to see another Labour government; or, failing that, the creation of a new centre-left party that can seriously challenge for power.

aw come on

you do this every election. You wobble like SeanT in a referendum and then vote Labour anyway.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's not just apathy that will cause many to abstain but the feeling that no party represents them.

I'm sure I will go to the polling booth but I have no idea who, if anyone, I will vote for.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Typo in the lead? Calling -> appalling?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

aw come on

you do this every election. You wobble like SeanT in a referendum and then vote Labour anyway.

Not a chance. In fact, I have only voted Labour once in a GE since 2005.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Reposted from previous thread:

So, anyway, on to more important matters: the next Labour leader.

First of all, it has to be someone with a rock-safe seat. That lets out the egregious Cat Smith, also Clive Lewis and despite earlier posts very probably Jess Philips too (heck, even Yvette Cooper doesn't look totally safe).

It has to be someone who can pass for sane. That lets out Abbott, Macdonnell, Burgon, Rayner, Long-Bailey and Thornberry.

It has to be someone in Parliament. That lets out Burnham and Khan.

It has to be someone who can't be blamed for the defeat. That lets out Trickett.

It has to be someone acceptable to the left. That lets out almost every other plausible candidate including Benn, Watson and Creasy.

Two obvious front runners are left. Starmer is favourite with the bookies. However, there is rumoured to be some bad stuff about his disastrous time as DPP which somebody as ruthless as May will undoubtedly use. Moreover as a posh London lawyer he's completely out of touch with the voters Labour need to reach.

Which leaves the other one. Jon Ashworth meets all the criteria above. Also, if the Labour campaign is to be on the NHS - and it has to be because that's the one topic Labour agrees on and has a realistic angle of attack on - he will get a lot of airtime. He is also, along with Starmer, a rare example of an effective shadow Minister. Moreover, he doesn't carry much baggage.

At the moment he's 80/1. Those odds seem insane to me. 3/1 would be more like it. DYOR but I'd say he's value.
  • Options

It's not just apathy that will cause many to abstain but the feeling that no party represents them.

I'm sure I will go to the polling booth but I have no idea who, if anyone, I will vote for.

If I do go to the polling booth, I will vote LibDem. Not sure I will, though.

• Options

That's why we have no hoper lib dem candidates, I thought. The 'eh, gotta vote for someone' party.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Try Sinn Fein
  • Options
    On the expenses cases, it is reported by the Indy that the CPS has confirmed that it is required by law to decide whether to press charges (if appropriate) in those cases it already has received from local forces before June 8. Most probably such decisions will be made later in May.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    IanB2 said:

Typo in the lead? Calling -> appalling?

My guess was 'chilling'.

Now the Tory lead with over 65s, that was chilling - so much more then last time, when it was already high. That and the higher turnout from the old are the on,y reason I am not wholly certain of my 60-80 majority prediction.
  • Options

Well, don't try any inventive spoiling of your ballot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32658907/election-2015-mp-thanks-voter-for-penis-ballot-paper-mark
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    ydoethur said:

First of all, it has to be someone with a rock-safe seat. That lets out the egregious Cat Smith, also Clive Lewis and despite earlier posts very probably Jess Philips too (heck, even Yvette Cooper doesn't look totally safe).

It has to be someone who can pass for sane. That lets out Abbott, Macdonnell, Burgon, Rayner, Long-Bailey and Thornberry.

It has to be someone who can't be blamed for the defeat. That lets out Trickett.

It has to be someone acceptable to the left. That lets out almost every other plausible candidate including Benn, Watson and Creasy.

Two obvious front runners are left. Starmer is favourite with the bookies. However, there is rumoured to be some bad stuff about his disastrous time as DPP which somebody as ruthless as May will undoubtedly use. Moreover as a posh London lawyer he's completely out of touch with the voters Labour need to reach.

Which leaves the other one. Jon Ashworth meets all the criteria above. Also, if the Labour campaign is to be on the NHS - and it has to be because that's the one topic Labour agrees on and has a realistic angle of attack on - he will get a lot of airtime. He is also, along with Starmer, a rare example of an effective shadow Minister. Moreover, he doesn't carry much baggage.

At the moment he's 80/1. Those odds seem insane to me. 3/1 would be more like it. DYOR but I'd say he's value.

What about Dan Jarvis?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good call. However, I think if Cooper stands she'll probably win. I'd like to see Nandy myself.

I'd say that realistically any Labour MP who gets back into the Commons by whatever margin probably has a safe seat or an immensely strong personal vote.

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

aw come on

So 50% of the time then?
  • Options

Try Sinn Fein
    Political compass tells me I should vote for Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

aw come on

So 50% of the time then?

Soon to be 33.333333%. But not always.

• Options
    Will voters have to bring ID with them in order to vote? If so, that may well catch a lot of people out.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

ydoethur said:

Jon Ashworth meets all the criteria above. Also, if the Labour campaign is to be on the NHS - and it has to be because that's the one topic Labour agrees on and has a realistic angle of attack on - he will get a lot of airtime. He is also, along with Starmer, a rare example of an effective shadow Minister. Moreover, he doesn't carry much baggage.

What about Dan Jarvis?
    He has the safe seat, but is unpopular on the left - seen as disloyal to the Dear Leader.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

ydoethur said:

Jon Ashworth meets all the criteria above. Also, if the Labour campaign is to be on the NHS - and it has to be because that's the one topic Labour agrees on and has a realistic angle of attack on - he will get a lot of airtime. He is also, along with Starmer, a rare example of an effective shadow Minister. Moreover, he doesn't carry much baggage.

Good call. However, I think if Cooper stands she'll probably win. I'd like to see Nandy myself.

I'd say that realistically any Labour MP who gets back into the Commons by whatever margin probably has a safe seat or an immensely strong personal vote.
    I'd be surprised if she stood and more surprised still if she won. She's hated by the Left for resigning merely because Corbyn is a crap leader who showed her no respect or even gratitude for agreeing to work with him. She is also seen as too close to the Blair/Brown years the party is frantically trying to move on from.

I'd agree with your second point but we don't know who's going to survive yet. In a northern working class seat with a large UKIP vote to squeeze she might just be a shock victim.

Creagh incidentally looks like toast in Wakefield and good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

Ashworth also has good Union support, and is someone who despite his Brownite background is willing to sit in the shadow cabinet.

I think Leicester South is pretty safe, but it did go Tory in 1983.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    For me, the most telling number about this election is the 4m who voted UKIP last time. I would guess that something like 3m of them will be at least potentially in play by election day. I suspect some won't even have a UKIP candidate to vote for.

A significant number will not vote. A more important number will support the Tories. This is what has driven them to the low to middle 40s. Others will splinter and everyone will get a share, even the Lib Dems in their re-found NOTA mode. But the Tories will gain the most and I suspect in some areas the Lib Dems will be chasing a moving target that remains beyond their reach as a result.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ashworth also has good Union support, and is someone who despite his Brownite background is willing to sit in the shadow cabinet.

The lack of a clear challenger with a strong third to squeeze is what makes me think it's probably safe this time, whereas I'm not so sure about Normanton.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

For me, the most telling number about this election is the 4m who voted UKIP last time. I would guess that something like 3m of them will be at least potentially in play by election day. I suspect some won't even have a UKIP candidate to vote for.

A significant number will not vote. A more important number will support the Tories. This is what has driven them to the low to middle 40s. Others will splinter and everyone will get a share, even the Lib Dems in their re-found NOTA mode. But the Tories will gain the most and I suspect in some areas the Lib Dems will be chasing a moving target that remains beyond their reach as a result.

In much of the shires, I don't agree. Many of the UKIP voters are people who won't vote Tory. They chose ukip because the LibDems were in coalition with the Tories last time and because voting Labour is unthinkable. In terms of the LibDem/Tory contest I wouldn't see the existence of a higher or lower ukip vote as of much significance either way.
  • Options

Will voters have to bring ID with them in order to vote? If so, that may well catch a lot of people out.

That proposal is only at pilot stage right now,
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

In much of the shires, I don't agree. Many of the UKIP voters are people who won't vote Tory. They chose ukip because the LibDems were in coalition with the Tories last time and because voting Labour is unthinkable. In terms of the LibDem/Tory contest I wouldn't see the existence of a higher or lower ukip vote as of much significance either way.
    Ian, have you canvassed Tory/LD marginals? The reason I ask is that immigration is always the top national issue mentioned for me in these shires.

UKIP won votes for many reasons; but far more for policy than not being the Libs.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'd be surprised if she stood and more surprised still if she won. She's hated by the Left for resigning merely because Corbyn is a crap leader who showed her no respect or even gratitude for agreeing to work with him. She is also seen as too close to the Blair/Brown years the party is frantically trying to move on from.

I'd agree with your second point but we don't know who's going to survive yet. In a northern working class seat with a large UKIP vote to squeeze she might just be a shock victim.

Creagh incidentally looks like toast in Wakefield and good riddance to bad rubbish.

I think there is a tendency to think of the "left" as one great big Corbynite mass. I don't think that it is really like that. There is, of course, a die-hard Corbynite tendency, but that is not the same as all those who voted for him in the last leadership election. The first thing you have to remember is that a Corbynite is actually quite unlikely to be in the next leadership election in the first place.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The next few weeks should be entertaining as the likes of Farage, Arron Banks and George Galloway announce their comeback tours, along with Uncle Vince. We’ll be saying goodbye to some old faces like Ken Clarke and perhaps as many as half the old Labour front bench. – I doubt GE2017 will excel in turnout, but the sweeping away of the old school MPs will be huge imho, may be up there with 1997.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited April 2017
    60% turnout seems a good bet. An indication of the sad state of our democracy and politics in general. Compare that to my country of birth when the turnout was 81% in the last presidential election.
  • Options
    Looking forward to a polling outlier to produce another guardian classic....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think there is a tendency to think of the "left" as one great big Corbynite mass. I don't think that it is really like that. There is, of course, a die-hard Corbynite tendency, but that is not the same as all those who voted for him in the last leadership election. The first thing you have to remember is that a Corbynite is actually quite unlikely to be in the next leadership election in the first place.

Surely a massacre reducing the number of nominations required to sub 30 (maybe even 20) MPs more or less guarantees that a Corbynista will make the ballot?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    The Tories need to avoid hubris.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The lack of a clear challenger with a strong third to squeeze is what makes me think it's probably safe this time, whereas I'm not so sure about Normanton.
    Playing on Electoral Calculus it is hard to get Labour below 150 seats or to lose Leicester South
  • Options
    List of seats the Record regards as vulnerable although their reasoning isn't very developed:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scotlands-key-battlegrounds-2017-general-10251668

Interestingly despite the ridicule I got for pointing out the SNP will be gunning for Carmichael, they also tip Orkney as vulnerable and for the same reason.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Surely a massacre reducing the number of nominations required to sub 30 (maybe even 20) MPs more or less guarantees that a Corbynista will make the ballot?

It depends on who is massacred. You also have to throw MEPs into the equation. If Labour gets down to 150 MPs, then any leadership candidate will need 26 nominations from MPs and MEPs combined.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Playing on Electoral Calculus it is hard to get Labour below 150 seats or to lose Leicester South
    Electoral Calculus is going to be a particularly weak tool this time round, if the polls are anything like correct.
  • Options

The next few weeks should be entertaining as the likes of Farage, Arron Banks and George Galloway announce their comeback tours, along with Uncle Vince. We’ll be saying goodbye to some old faces like Ken Clarke and perhaps as many as half the old Labour front bench. – I doubt GE2017 will excel in turnout, but the sweeping away of the old school MPs will be huge imho, may be up there with 1997.

Arron Banks's humiliation - if he does actually have the guts to stand for election - promises to be one of the few bright spots of the next few weeks.

• Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Lib Dems say 5,000 joined the party yesterday, claiming they are now at 92,500
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited April 2017

ydoethur said:

Yes I think Leicester South is safe, if Labour lose that then they're down to 50 seat territory - so they won't.

But no Labour candidate ought to be 3-1. I think Starmer was ok yesterday at 7-1 (And I had a betting hole there), but 3-1 would be too short for even him I think.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

65/1 on Betfair at the mo.
    I've just had a pint's worth on him.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If you were an MP in a reasonably safe Labour seat and because of the leadership of Corbyn you were in danger of losing it you'd be furious.

I can't see huge numbers of Labour MPs who come into that category keeping quiet for the next six weeks. I think there will be a massive amount of pressure on Corbyn to get out. I think the warfare will be open and bloody and if it isn't it should be..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Electoral Calculus is going to be a particularly weak tool this time round, if the polls are anything like correct.
    Yes - it's quite fun to see that Labour on 11% still leads the Lib Dems on 28%!

One thought occurs to me - at what point does UNS become utterly meaningless and we prepare for a total Labour collapse? If the polls are anywhere approaching correct sub-20% for Labour is not a wholly unrealistic possibility. At that point, surely, all bets are off on the results in individual seats. As we saw in Scotland, there is a cliff edge.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

List of seats the Record regards as vulnerable although their reasoning isn't very developed:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scotlands-key-battlegrounds-2017-general-10251668

Interestingly despite the ridicule I got for pointing out the SNP will be gunning for Carmichael, they also tip Orkney as vulnerable and for the same reason.

The SLDs do not seem to do well in polls (Scottish subsample alert!). I think the LD revival will mostly be in the SE and SW of England and in University seats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Yes I think Leicester South is safe, if Labour lose that then they're down to 50 seat territory - so they won't.

But no Labour candidate ought to be 3-1. I think Starmer was ok yesterday at 7-1 (And I had a betting hole there), but 3-1 would be too short for even him I think.
    Starmer was 12-1 when I looked.

However, Corbyn was 1-10 which was a bit peculiar.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Despite its faults UNS did prove pretty reliable in England and Wales last time.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

ydoethur said:

The SLDs do not seem to do well in polls (Scottish subsample alert!). I think the LD revival will mostly be in the SE and SW of England and in University seats.
    Would be surprised if they did well in the SW although that depends on your definition of 'well' - they should pick up 2-3 seats. I think the are fighting Labour in the conurbations and the universities, and will do well in the latter. Gorton, Cardiff Central, Cambridge may be attainable. Thornbury is not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited April 2017
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Starmer was 12-1 when I looked.

However, Corbyn was 1-10 which was a bit peculiar.
    12-1 might have been too short a few weeks ago, but 7-1 is fine now. The timeframe of Corbyn's probable departure shifts the odds towards known candidates with a platform (Which Starmer has) and away from rank outsiders.
  • Options
    Roger said:

If you were an MP in a reasonably safe Labour seat and because of the leadership of Corbyn you were in danger of losing it you'd be furious.

I can't see huge numbers of Labour MPs who come into that category keeping quiet for the next six weeks. I think there will be a massive amount of pressure on Corbyn to get out. I think the warfare will be open and bloody and if it isn't it should be..

Too late to get rid now.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    On the boundary changes, the position appears to be that unless parliament decides otherwise, the Commission will slog on to its existing timetable, the new proposals will still come before parliament in 2018 and, if agreed, be implemented for the next GE thereafter, presumably 2021/22.

However there is an interesting problem in that the 2013-2018-2023 etc. timetable for reviews is hard-written into law, designed to tie up with the FTPA. In the HoC briefing papers, civil servants identify the potential problem if an earlier election is called (amusingly in one paragraph using a 2017 GE as a hypothetical example) but the paper doesn't offer any solution.

Most probably, legislation will have to be amended to reset the timetable or, more sensibly, to remove the hard-wired dates and go for some more flexible formula in terms of scheduling future reviews.

The likelihood, however, is that the need to amend legislation, coupled with the extra time before the subsequent GE, the local electoral numbers changing as people rush to sign up in advance of June, and the data being used for the 2018 review becoming more out of date, will generate calls for the review to be re-started on different criteria. The new (current) criteria - particularly the inflexible +/- 5% tolerance - has been widely criticised by both academics and polticians, including some Tories.

If the Tories have a big majority, they may well press ahead - and indeed the timing question doesn't actually need to be addressed until the current review is completed. With a smaller majority things might become more interesting. In amending the Act, the HoL too gets a say - indeed the setting aside of the 2013 review began as a Lords amendment.

My best guess is that the Tories will implement the new boundaries in 2018 (for 2021/2) and then amend the future arrangements thereafter, postponing the subsequent review until after the 2022 GE. But this now looks less certain than it did last week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Would be surprised if they did well in the SW although that depends on your definition of 'well' - they should pick up 2-3 seats. I think the are fighting Labour in the conurbations and the universities, and will do well in the latter. Gorton, Cardiff Central, Cambridge may be attainable. Thornbury is not.
    I think the LDs will struggle to break past 20 seats, but will build up quite a lot of strong second places, for a springboard for 2022. This was never going to be a quick revival.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

ydoethur said:

Let it be Cooper, she is useless. She has hips baggage too.,
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

I just can't see how he can stay. He'll be like a bad smell wherever he goes. The incontinent great aunt
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    theakes said:

Aaaah...Les napthalines...(French resistance WW2 reference)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The SNP are going to abstain today apparently.

What are they frightened of?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

I just can't see how he can stay. He'll be like a bad smell wherever he goes. The incontinent great aunt
    nail on head imagery!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2017
    The dangers of trying to analyse Scotland based on previous elections.

The 2011Holyrood election had 50% turnout and the 2016 had 55% turnout where the Conservatives managed to capture almost the entirety​ of that extra 5%.

The 2015 Westminster General Election also had unnaturally high turnout which almost certainly favoured the SNP.

What that means? Buggered if I know.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

You wouldn't want the job of arranging his election tour and the route for Corbyn's battle bus!

Usually every party's HQ is besieged by eager candidates wanting a visit; if not a target seat they'll be pleading for a 15 minute stop-off and quick photo opportunity, if their seat is anywhere near a motorway. Somehow I think the dynamic in Corbyn Towers might be a little different this time?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

He may even try to hang on afterwards, successfully.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The long anticipated excitedly awaited.... Scottish Tory Surge....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

He is the anti-Kinnock. Rapidly taking his party back to the 'glory days' of the early eighties.

Why would he go? His party will be cast more in his image after a shellacking...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Let it be Cooper, she is useless. She has hips baggage too.,
    HIPS were a joke but versus the baggage of Corbyn and McDonnell???
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

You wouldn't want the job of arranging his election tour and the route for Corbyn's battle bus!

Usually every party's HQ is besieged by eager candidates wanting a visit; if not a target seat they'll be pleading for a 15 minute stop-off and quick photo opportunity, if their seat is anywhere near a motorway. Somehow I think the dynamic in Corbyn Towers might be a little different this time?
    It'll be besieged by hundreds of volunteers from any seat with under a 15,000 majority to make sure he stays where he is and no messages or images get out to cause trouble?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited April 2017

Scott_P said:

KLAXON!

Edit:.. I approve of your avatar change!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nae chance. Nae chance in hell.
  • Options

theakes said:

Aaaah...Les napthalines...(French resistance WW2 reference)
    Last figure I saw for the Tories wasn't much over 100,000
  • Options
    murali_s said:

60% turnout seems a good bet. An indication of the sad state of our democracy and politics in general. Compare that to my country of birth when the turnout was 81% in the last presidential election.

Well, we're doing better than the USA at least!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

If it does prove to be a surprise SNP win (and I was talking about the outliers) I will remind you and Mr Smithson Jr of this.

My own expectation is that it will stay LD, but I think it could be much tighter than expected.
  • Options
    so much for Trump banging on about fake news..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39638012
  • Options

The Tories need to avoid hubris.

Too late
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

If it does prove to be a surprise SNP win (and I was talking about the outliers) I will remind you and Mr Smithson Jr of this.

My own expectation is that it will stay LD, but I think it could be much tighter than expected.
    So you now have some money on two horses, and are only wrong with a stonking LD win? I still think you are wrong ;)
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

Not a chance. He will be challenged and he will lose.

• Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

KLAXON!

Just wait for the superior ground game 'intell' on here
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think the LDs will struggle to break past 20 seats, but will build up quite a lot of strong second places, for a springboard for 2022. This was never going to be a quick revival.
    Getting near 20 with strong second places restored for 2022 would be a quick recovery.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Their leaflets are going to be "Labour did what May asked"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Getting near 20 with strong second places restored for 2022 would be a quick recovery.
    And I would see 20 as at the lower end of possible outcomes.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

We'll need what Shadsy's odds are but I will not be tempted at almost any price to back the SNP.

The SNP screwed up their Orkeny and Shetland campaigns for Holyrood in a way that poisoned the well.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I do have doubts about strength of LDs in SW, given the Referendum results in seats in the region, it wasn't a hotbed of support for Remain. It is possible that LDs might recover in Bath or Cheltenham. The notion that Tory MPs not have an incumbency effect strikes me as naive.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes - they clearly don't expect to hold all their seats. Abstaining looks a very weak and wet option.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What if Corbyn does well in the campaign?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Still surprised Labour's apparent position is to support this.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I do have doubts about strength of LDs in SW, given the Referendum results in seats in the region, it wasn't a hotbed of support for Remain. It is possible that LDs might recover in Bath or Cheltenham. The notion that Tory MPs not have an incumbency effect strikes me as naive.

The SW was leave and a lot of former LD seats there are now large Tory majorities, but the things can be strange - I could see 4 or 5 turn back.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

Isn't his chief goal to get the McDonnell amendment on the rule book?
    I don't think he will resign until he can guarantee the left wing of the PLP a horse in the next leadership race.

• Options

Scott_P said:

I think there may be 2 Con gains with several good second places - anything more is unlikely.
    Labour could be down to zero with the LDs on 2/3.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Too late to get rid now.

I hope that you are right, but he does have the hide of an armour plated rhinoceros.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What if i discover £10million in my attic?
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

In such an uncertain election the ground war may be critical. As such the Lib Dems have got to be fancied to pick up some seats. They have an energised membership and strong tactical skills.

In Scotland the post referendum election was won by the losers as they were more determined and more united. I am not sure this election is the slam dunk the pollsters predict.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

I will be very surprised indeed if the Liberal Democrats retake Cheltenham. Put it this way, it would be the equivalent of Labour taking Cannock. Bath with its two universities looks a lot more plausible.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

Yes - they clearly don't expect to hold all their seats
    Given they did better than they could have dreamed last time, and the worst prediction I've seen for them is high 40s with most predicting in the 50s, I dont think they'll be weeping into their porridge if they lose a few.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

You can bet it all on the Lib Dems winning Orkney :wink:
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    dr_spyn said:

The LD advantage of the LDs in SW and SE is that with only a handful of exceptions Labour is not in the game, so they can hoover up anti-Tory votes, not all of them Brexit related.

The other aspect is that there is only a couple of years since having LD MPs, so not a distant memory.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

KLAXON!

Just wait for the superior ground game 'intell' on here
    Cant remember the bozo who used to post on here Labour's ground game was so clever he couldn't tell us... He disappeared after GE 2015
  • Options
    Gisela Stuart on R4 just now:

- won't express support for Corbyn as PM, although she still wants people to vote Labour
    - says Labour won't win
    - says she expects Labour to campaign for Brexit

• Options
    Alistair said:

Jonathan said:

No joke - he's built for campaigning and has the hide of a particularly tough rhinoceros, and 160 seats are safe even if he shoots the queen during the campaign. While I'd expect he and labour to do badly under the assault they will face, that they at least hold up better then anticipated cannot be discounted.
This discussion has been closed.