Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Download the Rallings and Thrasher Election 2015 book for FREE

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Download the Rallings and Thrasher Election 2015 book for FREE

The leading psephologists, Profs Colin Rallings and Michael Thrasher, are making their reference work on last General Election, Election 2015 Results and Tables, available online so people can download it. It is in PDF format and runs to 437 pages.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Danke schoen
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited May 2017
    Second. Like Corbyn will be very lucky to be.

FPT: The next recession will be on the Tories' watch and is going to hit them incredibly hard.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/865553683387367425

Hope the arsehole has been paying his fair dues in child support.

LOL! Self-imposed exile after running from justice isn't "Detained" by any definition of the word. Idiot.
    According to the UN it is. Idiots.
    TGOHF said:
    I'd like if she lost. But she won't.
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Disraeli said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Looks like Starmer will challenge Corbyn if he loses
    Looks like, and that the challengers no longer think Corbyn will do worse than Ed M, in vote share at least - the belief is growing, even as the seats tally is still expected to be very bad.
    Good points.

Nevertheless, if Corbyn could get,say, 35% of the vote then he could point out that he had been able to attract just over one million more people to vote for the him than Ed Miliband.

He could argue (plausibly) that in a special year such as this one that he did better than the Blairites would have (in part because there would be little differentiation between Blairite and Mayism)
    Oh, I have long thought if he faced a shellacking he would, despite statements to the contrary, stand down for fear of provoking a split...but if he does get that many votes, which will save some number of seats, then I fully expect he will stay on with that as his defence, and the others will be too cowed by his relative out performance to split.
    Well hold on, if he does get that number of votes then why shouldn't he stay on? He can say that Brexit was a unique set of circumstances, that the party was in the middle of a reorganisation, and that people had just given him a mandate to complete the move leftwards.
    That was my point - he will have a legitimate justification for saying he should stay on if he does that well, and because he did that (relative) well, his opponents won't dare split.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    IanB2 said:

FPT: The next recession will be on the Tories' watch and is going to hit them incredibly hard.

General Election 2010: cuts will doom election winner

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/865553683387367425

Hope the arsehole has been paying his fair dues in child support.

LOL! Self-imposed exile after running from justice isn't "Detained" by any definition of the word. Idiot.
    According to the UN it is. Idiots.
    TGOHF said:
    I'd like if she lost. But she won't.
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Disraeli said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Looks like Starmer will challenge Corbyn if he loses
    Looks like, and that the challengers no longer think Corbyn will do worse than Ed M, in vote share at least - the belief is growing, even as the seats tally is still expected to be very bad.
    Good points.

Nevertheless, if Corbyn could get,say, 35% of the vote then he could point out that he had been able to attract just over one million more people to vote for the him than Ed Miliband.

He could argue (plausibly) that in a special year such as this one that he did better than the Blairites would have (in part because there would be little differentiation between Blairite and Mayism)
    Oh, I have long thought if he faced a shellacking he would, despite statements to the contrary, stand down for fear of provoking a split...but if he does get that many votes, which will save some number of seats, then I fully expect he will stay on with that as his defence, and the others will be too cowed by his relative out performance to split.
    Well hold on, if he does get that number of votes then why shouldn't he stay on? He can say that Brexit was a unique set of circumstances, that the party was in the middle of a reorganisation, and that people had just given him a mandate to complete the move leftwards.
    That was my point - he will have a legitimate justification for saying he should stay on if he does that well, and because he did that (relative) well, his opponents won't dare split.
    nice format rescue.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I started at 60-100, moved up to 70-120 and am now probably back at 60-100. .

A lot of people actually initially predicted 50-80 range, on here at least, but that will be forgotten if it actually happens in favour of mocking that some then moved on to 100+
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The economy didn't turn south on their watch, though, did it?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

No, but the author of the piece thought at the time it was going to, didn't he? So your point isn't actually in your own favour.
  • Options
    47 LD lost deposits in Scotland in 2015 the books says - I wonder if that will be the same this time, even as they might get 3 MPs if they are lucky? Their overall voteshare is static, so it is highly concentrated, and with potentially even more tactical voting dissuading potential LDs to go back to them in some seats, presumably plenty more lost deposits to come.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    kle4 said:

47 LD lost deposits in Scotland in 2015 the books says .

How many in England and Wales? :lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

No, but the author of the piece thought at the time it was going to, didn't he? So your point isn't actually in your own favour.
    It is, if the economy heads south before 2022.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Awesome resource, thanks to the professors for making their work available to us all :+1:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Very generous of Rallings and Thrasher. – Do the wonderfully accurate polls get a mention?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited May 2017
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20167/dementia_awareness_week

May 14th to the 20th is the Dementia Awareness Week.

Theresa May [ she leads the Conservative Party ], chose to foist the Dementia Tax appropriately in this week.
  • Options

kle4 said:

As a percentage of the total? Fewer.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I meant the absolute number. 200+?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I meant the absolute number. 200+?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

According to my favourite Twitter feed of election night 2015, they lost 340 in total.

https://mobile.twitter.com/libdemdeposits
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

According to,my favourite Twitter feed of election night 2015, they lost 340 in total.

This book says 341
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    The Tories will no doubt win.
    But many of us would never conceive of voting Tory. Not ever.
    A sensible alternative would be to vote Green or LibDem, and some no doubt will.
    But our politics is essentially polarised.
    So Labour may not do as badly as might be necessary to shed its dingleberry.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Key thing was they didn't implement the cuts they said they would do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

47 LD lost deposits in Scotland in 2015 the books says - I wonder if that will be the same this time, even as they might get 3 MPs if they are lucky? Their overall voteshare is static, so it is highly concentrated, and with potentially even more tactical voting dissuading potential LDs to go back to them in some seats, presumably plenty more lost deposits to come.

Anyone spotted a bigger vote drop than LD in Edinburgh North and Leith?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

According to,my favourite Twitter feed of election night 2015, they lost 340 in total.

This book says 341
    I'd go with the book as the definitive number.

Ah, wasn't there one constituency election postponed, due to the death of a candidate? That might explain the difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Brent Central, over 35%.

Biggest Tory drop was Clacton, then the Bradfords.

Biggest Lab drops were all in Scotland, some only just less than the LD Brent Central drop.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Edinburgh South!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    surbiton said:

Theresa May [ she leads the Conservative Party ], chose to foist the Dementia Tax appropriately in this week.

What a bitch, eh?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    edited May 2017
    Regarding the So Solid comments on the last thread ( v funny @not_on_fire ), can you imagine Diane Abbott trying to do the rap at the end of his solo single?!

"Two multiplied by ten, plus one... erm hang on"

• Options
    Looks like UKIP only went backwards, and even then marginally, in two seats. Very impressive result. Greens the same thing, in fairness.

Moray second lowest SNP surge last time, Angus fourth lowest (presumably they were relatively high already, since it was enough to win).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    kle4 said:

I now think the LDs will pick up four Scottish seats: O&S, CS&ER, Edinburgh West and either Dunbartonshire East or Fife NE.
  • Options

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Edinburgh South!
    -30.3! Impressive
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Brent Central, over 35%.

Biggest Lab drops were all in Scotland, some only just less than the LD Brent Central drop.
    But Brent Central is a humdinger, especially as they were in first place.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

surbiton said:

What a bitch, eh?
    Oh don't start him off with his mysogyny - then Justin 124 will pile in and want her euthanised - these left-wingers get pretty nasty.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It is, if the economy heads south before 2022.
    If.

As in, αἴκε.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Looks like UKIP only went backwards, and even then marginally, in two seats. Very impressive result. Greens the same thing, in fairness.

Moray second lowest SNP surge last time, Angus fourth lowest (presumably they were relatively high already, since it was enough to win).

My initial Scottish model in 2015 saw them losing votes in Moray, Angus and Banff & Buchan - they actually lost Banff despite taking 45 seats ish. Low Yes vote in Indy Ref.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    The University of East Anglia believes there is a 74% chance of a Tory gain in Norwich South:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/will-norfolk-turn-completely-blue-on-june-9-1-5021158

"The hugely-respected UEA model goes as far as to predict a Tory rout with gains in Labour’s Norwich South and the Liberal Democrats’ North Norfolk."
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Key thing was they didn't implement the cuts they said they would do.
    Indeed, they implemented Labour's cuts; despite all of Dancing Ed's gurning and gesticulating from the opposition front bench, the profile of spending cuts 2010-15 was pretty much what Mr Balls had himself proposed during the 2010 election campaign.

Nevertheless the fact remains that an economic downturn on top of Brexit during the next five years is going to hit the Tories so very hard.
  • Options
    Toms said:

A sensible alternative would be to vote Green

This is the kind of deadpan wit that draws me to this site.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I now think the LDs will pick up four Scottish seats: O&S, CS&ER, Edinburgh West and either Dunbartonshire East or Fife NE.
    I think that is a very brave forecast on current polling. My guess would be 2 max.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Completely OT. A producer friend has just moved to Dalian in China. He's just sent me this. I don't know whether anyone's been there but I was expecting something semi-primitive.

Eat your heart out Hartlepool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIvqhhzTBmY&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    AndyJS said:

The University of East Anglia believes there is a 74% chance of a Tory gain in Norwich South:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/will-norfolk-turn-completely-blue-on-june-9-1-5021158

"The hugely-respected UEA model goes as far as to predict a Tory rout with gains in Labour’s Norwich South and the Liberal Democrats’ North Norfolk."

One less person to be LibDem leader then.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

They could also win Argyll & Bute if Tory supporters voted tactically for the LDs but I think they probably won't this time.
  • Options
    LD highest percentages

1 Westmorland & Lonsdale 51.5 - Won, likely to win again
    2 Orkney & Shetland 41.4 - Won, likely to win again
    3 Sheffield Hallam 40.0 - Won, probably going to win again
    4 Norfolk North 39.1 - Won, dead cert to lose
    5 Eastbourne 38.2 - Lost. Anyone know if there's a shot? Retread candidate, majority under 1000
    6 Twickenham 38.0 - Lost, probably lost again.
    7 Thornbury & Yate 37.9 Lost, probably lose again. (Webb's seat, not restanding)
    8 Leeds North West 36.8 Won, probable loss.
    9 Dunbartonshire East 36.3 Lost, possible win (lowest drop in percentage, but still not a dead cert by any means)
    10 Ross, Skye & Lochaber 35.9 Lost, probably lose again- long way back
    11 Lewes 35.9 Lost, probably lose again - no UKIP candidate
    12 Ceredigion 35.9 Won, probably win again.
    13 Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross 35.1 Loss, probably lose again - needs lots of tacticals.
    14 Carshalton & Wallington 34.9 Won, probable loss.
    15 Cambridge 34.9 - Loss, possible win. Smallest majority in country for Lab.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Completely OT. A producer friend has just moved to Dalian in China. He's just sent me this. I don't know whether anyone's been there but I was expecting something semi-primitive.

Why would you expect that?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

They could also win Argyll & Bute if Tory supporters voted tactically for the LDs but I think they probably won't this time.
    Why on earth would they do that when the LDs won't return the favour?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Well, you're not known for being over optimistic when it comes to LD seat chances, although that's still pretty bold
  • Options
    felix said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

The greater good.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

The latest YouGov Scotland-only poll had the 2015 Lib Dem to Tory defection rate running at about 40%, with virtually no flow in the opposite direction. The usual caveats about tiny subsamples apply, but even so it makes logical sense in light of the expected pattern, which you highlight: the step from Lib Dem to Con will not, for the average voter, be as great as that from Lab to Con (running at about a quarter of the 2015 Lab vote in the poll,) and in terms of seats where Unionist voters might be asking who the best-placed challenger to the SNP is, the Lib Dems are only the leading choice in nine Scottish constituencies, based on the 2015 results (the one they still retain, plus eight second places.)

There's no particular reason to anticipate anything other than a very expensive night of lost deposits practically everywhere else.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

A sensible alternative would be to vote Green

This is the kind of deadpan wit that draws me to this site.

Be the humour in the editing?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

5 Eastbourne 38.2 - Lost. Anyone know if there's a shot? Retread candidate, majority under 1000
    7 Thornbury & Yate 37.9 Lost, probably lose again. (Webb's seat, not restanding)
    9 Dunbartonshire East 36.3 Lost, possible win (lowest drop in percentage, but still not a dead cert by any means)
    13 Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross 35.1 Loss, probably lose again - needs lots of tacticals.

I'd say winning Eastbourne is more likely than not. The current policy controversy enhances the chances. W&L is nailed on. Norfolk Nth is too close to call, not dead cert to lose. Twickenham remains an outside chance. T&Y unlikely to win. Don't write off Cambridge, although Labour's cynical pitch to students makes this more of a challenge.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Thoroughly off topic - I remember some on PB rather liked the election of Duterte in the Phillippines, because although he's a bit Trumpish in his outspokenness they felt he was a good no-nonsense fellow who would deal toughly with criminals.

Now he's decided to make ALL smoking in public illegal, indoors or outdoors, and to throw smokers in prison. Still on board, guys?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/19/philippines-president-bans-smoking-in-public-with-offenders-facing-jail
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929

Thoroughly off topic - I remember some on PB rather liked the election of Duterte in the Phillippines, because although he's a bit Trumpish in his outspokenness they felt he was a good no-nonsense fellow who would deal toughly with criminals.

Now he's decided to make ALL smoking in public illegal, indoors or outdoors, and to throw smokers in prison. Still on board, guys?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/19/philippines-president-bans-smoking-in-public-with-offenders-facing-jail

Apart from the prison bit, I agree! I was just thinking the other day that smokers should at least have to stand in a separate space outdoors.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Edinburgh South!
    -30.3! Impressive
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Brent Central, over 35%.

But Brent Central is a humdinger, especially as they were in first place.
    I had some seats near Hereford with gargantuan losses
  • Options
    kle4 said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

The greater good.
    you can't trust a LD further than you can throw them.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Brent Central, over 35%.

I remember in 2005 a Labour activist came into the Mosque to try to promote Dawn Butler. One guy stood up and started shouting at him about Iraq, the labour activist had to stop. I kinda felt bad for him as he wasn't able to say his piece but most of all I was laughing my head off.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    AndyJS said:

That;'s the place which published falsified climate data.

Wouldn't trust them with numbers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    My transition model is particularly bad for the LDS but retention she be better in held seats I err think
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My transition model is particularly bad for the LDS but retention she be better in held seats I err think

Doesn't help of the Tories rise in some of them. Retention was great in Dunbarton East, it couldn't hold off the SNP surge.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    News an absolute and utter cluster **** for May and the Tories tonight!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Because it's a city I've never heard of and I misjudged how modern what I thought was an average city would be in China.

And we're arguing about high speed rail!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    AndyJS said:

It also predicts a 100% chance of a Conservative gain in Norfolk North.

In other words its model has errors.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

News an absolute and utter cluster **** for May and the Tories tonight!

If there was a time for Lab to get within 10 points at some stage, it would be now.
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

I'd say winning Eastbourne is more likely than not. The current policy controversy enhances the chances. W&L is nailed on. Norfolk Nth is too close to call, not dead cert to lose. Twickenham remains an outside chance. T&Y unlikely to win. Don't write off Cambridge, although Labour's cynical pitch to students makes this more of a challenge.
    7/4 from William Hill for the Cons in Twickenham must be a great bet if you think the LDs are only an outside chance there.
  • Options
    calum said:
    The Scotch aren't grown up and mature enough to handle power yet.

For some unknown reason the adults have given them matches.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Because it's a city I've never heard of and I misjudged how modern what I thought was an average city would be in China.

And we're arguing about high speed rail!
    Agree, what's going on in the second tier cities in China is astonishing - yet almost completely under the radar to most of us.

http://online.wsj.com/ad/article/chinaenergy-cities
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

AndyJS said:

Have they borrowed the climate change department's computer programme?
  • Options
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Brent Central, over 35%.

I remember in 2005 a Labour activist came into the Mosque to try to promote Dawn Butler. One guy stood up and started shouting at him about Iraq, the labour activist had to stop. I kinda felt bad for him as he wasn't able to say his piece but most of all I was laughing my head off.
    He got away lightly with just being shouted at.

On a bad day you lot would have beheaded him or chained him to a radiator for a decade.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

AndyJS said:

Have they borrowed the climate change department's computer programme?
    Hide the decline!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

Well get your money on with an LD sell bet on the spreads.

@SportingIndex 15-18
    http://www.sportingindex.com/spread-betting/politics/british?tpid=6441&btag=a_7b_95c_ … … … … … … …
    Spreadex14-17
    https://spreadex.com?tid=356759spreadex.com/?tid=356759spreadex.com/?tid=356759spr … … … … … …

If you sell at 15 and they get 5 you win ten times your stake

• Options
    New forecast from Stephen Fisher:

Con 386
    Lab 177
    LD 13
    Greens 1
    SNP 46
    PC 3

Con maj 123

https://electionsetc.com/
  • Options
    calum said:

Surely Tory MP's aren't going to vote to take the cold fuel payment off their own voters while keeping it going for Scotland?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    GeoffM said:

calum said:

It may appear pedantic, Geoff, but it's a pet hate of mine. Scotch is a drink, the people of Scotland are Scottish.

I don't know why it jars with me - I haven't any Scottish blood in me, as far as I know - but it does.

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

Well get your money on with a sell bet on the spreads.

@SportingIndex 15-18
    http://www.sportingindex.com/spread-betting/politics/british?tpid=6441&btag=a_7b_95c_ … … … … … … …
    Spreadex14-17
    https://spreadex.com?tid=356759spreadex.com/?tid=356759spreadex.com/?tid=356759spr … … … … … …

I have some small amounts on the lowest LD performance I can find. I've always overestimated them and ignored what the evidence tells me, and I'm trying not to now.
  • Options
    LordWakefieldLordWakefield Posts: 144
    IanB2 said:

1992?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

GeoffM said:

calum said:

It may appear pedantic, Geoff, but it's a pet hate of mine. Scotch is a drink, the people of Scotland are Scottish.

I don't know why it jars with me - I haven't any Scottish blood in me, as far as I know - but it does.

Cheers.
    He knows, he's just trying too hard to be uber English.
  • Options
    Latest prediction from Chris Hanretty:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

http://electionforecast.co.uk/
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    surbiton said:

!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    GIN1138 said:

calum said:

Surely Tory MP's aren't going to vote to take the cold fuel payment off their own voters while keeping it going for Scotland?
    Will be an interesting vote !
  • Options
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I think that is a very brave forecast on current polling. My guess would be 2 max.
    At Holyrood LD Constituency vote went down (admittedly only 0.1%) but they picked up two extra constituency seats.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    calum said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:

Will be an interesting vote !
    For the good of the Union an stuff like.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

calum said:

Cheers.
    "Scotch" meaning whisky is an Americanism. In GB it is called "whisky". OTOH I think scotch eggs are scotch, not Scottish.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    AndyJS said:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

There's some right bollox among those predictions.

Does Hanretty put his money where his model is ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    AndyJS said:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

Seat Loss LD 'very likely', SNP seat loss 'probable'. Greens only as seat loss 'possible', but I think that's a change - predicting a narrow Lab win.

Still putting Bristol West as a possible LD gain, which surprises me, as I rarely see it elsewhere on the list of potentials like Cambridge, Bemondsey or Bath for instance. I'm pessimistic about their changes of holding some seats, but I think they'll be closer in a few than this model suggests, which is not close at all.

I just don't see how the Tories lose Dumfriesshire. Surely not?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

If SNP are nailed on with 3 guaranteed loses. DCT, BRS, EdW

To hold everything else would be spectacular and not supported by current polling in my view.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

calum said:

They'll synchronise the withdrawal date in England with the transfer of the power to Scotland.

No chance that the British govt will vote to have one rule for England and another for Scotland.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Wow just WTF was that before C4 News???
  • Options
    Why stop at A New Hope? The Empire of Tories is about to strike back!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:

They'll synchronise the withdrawal date in England with the transfer of the power to Scotland.

No chance that the British govt will vote to have one rule for England and another for Scotland.
    Even so this is really toxic stuff for the Tories and May now...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    kle4 said:

From one of my Corbynite friends.

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/865626240929091584

Interesting. I didn't see any proposals in the manifesto that said May will abolish the Lords and replace them with regional governors.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

GeoffM said:

calum said:

Cheers.
    I object more to an entire nation being dismissed as immature and not grown up.

And I am Scotch!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    AndyJS said:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

The SNP lost quite a few Holyrood seats last year, and has shed support since then.

I think Hanretty's SNP number is probably 10 too high, and it may be more like 13 or 14.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:

English votes for ....
    twitter.com/faisalislam/status/865621552720736256
    twitter.com/faisalislam/status/865620388918775808

I thought the vox pop of older folks was more along the lines of annoyed, but still voting for May.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

GeoffM said:

calum said:

Cheers.
    I was setting out to troll certain others. You, rather than intended prey, kicked the tripwire instead. My apologies PtP.

Edit: FF43 is a late consolation scalp. That'll do
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

calum said:

Toxic because they are actually admitting to taking stuff away from people? I'll get the smelling salts.

I don't doubt they will take a small hit for some of their plans, but the only reason Labour's isn't 'toxic' is it is a spending splurge of unrealistic proportions, and the LD's isn't toxic because nobody but me has read the thing - the Tory one was always, in comparison, going to contain negatives.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    calum said:
    If I was May I would fast track implementation of this policy for Scotland from Westminster, and then leave it up to the SNP to explain why the hell they have needed to ask for such a cynically long delayed period for some of these newly devolved powers... Its not like they have been even getting on with the day job or passing any legislation in the last year. What have they been doing apart from playing constitutional grudge and grievance politics?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    Ishmael_Z said:

GeoffM said:

calum said:

Cheers.
    "Scotch" meaning whisky is an Americanism. In GB it is called "whisky". OTOH I think scotch eggs are scotch, not Scottish.
    Yes, I knew about scotch/whisky, but its an Americanism that is widely recognised here. Not sure about scotch eggs, or scotch mist for that matter, but no way I'm having Scotch for the people of Scotland!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

LD highest percentages

Well get your money on with an LD sell bet on the spreads.

@SportingIndex 15-18
    Spreadex14-17

If you sell at 15 and they get 5 you win ten times your stake

Selling Lib Dems on the spreads seems incredibly dangerous to me. There is a limited amount that can be won if you're right but if for some reason the Lib Dems suddenly surged there is a very long tail of what can be lost.

Selling Lib Dems is probably safer done on a straight over/under bar level I would have thought.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

From one of my Corbynite friends.

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/865626240929091584

Interesting. I didn't see any proposals in the manifesto that said May will abolish the Lords and replace them with regional governors.
    More that they are about to hit the base of their enemy hard.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Con 405
    Lab 166
    LD 5
    SNP 53
    PC 2
    Greens 0

Seat Loss LD 'very likely', SNP seat loss 'probable'. Greens only as seat loss 'possible', but I think that's a change - predicting a narrow Lab win.

Still putting Bristol West as a possible LD gain, which surprises me, as I rarely see it elsewhere on the list of potentials like Cambridge, Bemondsey or Bath for instance. I'm pessimistic about their changes of holding some seats, but I think they'll be closer in a few than this model suggests, which is not close at all.

I just don't see how the Tories lose Dumfriesshire. Surely not?
    Would be surprised to see Lucas lose in Brighton.
This discussion has been closed.