Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take Care. The implications of the Conservative policy on soci

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take Care. The implications of the Conservative policy on social care

General elections aren’t usually about big ideas. They’re usually occasions for the parties to try to come up with visual representations of their opponents that sting, for frenetic arguments about trivial events and for their leaders to pose in unlikely photo-opportunities. Voters are expected to react, not to think.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Thwarted by vanilla forums again!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Fourth! Like SLibD (if they're lucky...)
  • Options
    Thanks Alastair, an interesting read.
  • Options
    Excellent thread Mr Meeks. I wonder if last night's hysterical posters have calmed down?
  • Options

Excellent thread Mr Meeks. I wonder if last night's hysterical posters have calmed down?

Will be interesting to see the polls in the evening!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited May 2017
    Are wealthier voters really likely to prefer Corbyn?

- The Labour manifesto promises to raise Inheritance Tax
    - The Labour manifesto promises to raise Capital Gains Tax
    - Many will fear that Labour would launch an attack on ISAs

The Conservative policy makes no difference as far as residential care costs are concerned - in fact it eases the burden by raising the savings threshold to £100k.

Where the Conservative policy does hit people is with in-home care costs.

But what proportion of wealthy pensioners are relying on care supplied by their local council in the first place - which normally consists of 15 or 30 minute visits at best?

If you are a wealthy pensioner I would have thought you would be far, far more likely to be using a private care agency - and thus incurring the cost already. And if you don't have enough income to pay for it, you'll do an equity release to raise the necessary funds to pay for it.

Are people in the South who own homes likely to be worth £300k+ (and usually much more) really settling for a very poor service from their local council rather than paying about £10 per hour for a good quality tailored service from a private care agency? Whilst sitting on a £300k+ asset which would fund it?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

I wonder how much the Tories 31 point lead vs Labour (or May's 36 points best PM) in Southern England will have fallen by?
  • Options

RobD said:

I wonder how much the Tories 31 point lead vs Labour (or May's 36 points best PM) in Southern England will have fallen by?
    Suspect it might dip a bit, but still a long way to go until polling day!
  • Options
    @MikeL - that is what they are gambling on. We shall see if it pays off. I am cautiously optimistic that the polls won't collapse tomorrow.
  • Options
    And they must have focused group the hell out of all these options. I doubt they are doing it blind.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Cheers Mr Meeks, it’s not often we get a sensible thread on party manifesto proposals, especially on a subject that is of such growing concern for the UK. On a political point, there are something like four polls out today I believe, that will hopefully show how the main party manifestos have been received by the wider public, should be interesting.
  • Options

Morning all.

Cheers Mr Meeks, it’s not often we get a sensible thread on party manifesto proposals, especially on a subject that is of such growing concern for the UK. On a political point, there are something like four polls out today I believe, that will hopefully show how the main party manifestos have been received by the wider public, should be interesting.

Argh! Just wake me up when they are out... :o
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RobD said:

Morning all.

Wilco MrD, you’ll hear the first klaxon early afternoon, sleep tight etc.
  • Options

RobD said:

Morning all.

Wilco MrD, you’ll hear the first klaxon early afternoon, sleep tight etc.
    You know I've adapted to the relentless drone of the Klaxon. It's just white noise now. :D
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Good Morning everyone. I can see the usual suspects are up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    edited May 2017
    An interesting lead, although I doubt that most voters will weigh things up in that much detail.

As Alastair says, the WFA will probably generate more focus because it's an identifiable current payment whose loss would be noticed straight away.

The background message is that pensioners are no longer a protected group under the Tories, and will have to take some share of the pain. Everyone is a prospective pensioner, so this may well lose a few votes, but on the other hand there will be young people pleased to see some element of fairness breaking into Tory inter-generational policy - even if Labour's bag of goodies looks more attractive provided you don't think too much about where the money is coming from. If Labour does manage to get elected, trying to honour their manifesto will make Cameron's mistakes in 2015 look amateur by comparison.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Up? I've been up for hours. :p
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Part of the problem is people expecting to spend the last period of their life in "the family home"

Once yer kids are adults, downsize and enjoy life ffs.

British psychology is bonkers sometimes.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Factoid: the word "free" appears 39 times in Labour's manifesto...

The Guardian puts it thus (although personally I'd take the wine anyway on a 'never know' basis): Consider the advice that a glass of red wine a day is good for you. If a doctor says it, you’ll accept it. But if the same advice comes from an alcoholic, you’ll hesitate. Labour aspires to be entrusted with the nation’s health and wealth. But the country first needs to be sure that its hands are not trembling.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    IanB2 said:

An interesting lead, although I doubt that most voters will weigh things up in that much detail.

As Alastair says, the WFA will probably generate more focus because it's an identifiable current payment whose loss would be noticed straight away.

The background message is that pensioners are no longer a protected group under the Tories, and will have to take some share of the pain. Everyone is a prospective pensioner, so this may well lose a few votes, but on the other hand there will be young people pleased to see some element of fairness breaking into Tory inter-generational policy - even if Labour's bag of goodies looks more attractive provided you don't think too much about where the money is coming from. If Labour does manage to get elected, trying to honour their manifesto will make Cameron's mistakes in 2015 look amateur by comparison.

Labour's most powerful message in this election is:

Vote Labour, we will not get elected
  • Options
    Pong said:

Part of the problem is people expecting to spend the last period of their life in "the family home"

Given the number of people who say that their house is their pension, I would have thought a significant minority will be pushed in this direction eventually, by inadequate pension provision. In the long run another reason to see a bit of hope for a more affordable housing market.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    edited May 2017
    Pong said:

Sadly, our system - with its large stamp duty payments and high transaction costs - discourages people from trading down.

(While I am loathe to complicate the tax system further, one of the key purposes must surely be to encourage the efficient use of resources. People in houses far too big for them is not efficient. Could we perhaps exempt people from stamp duty on purchases when they are trading down post the age of 50?)
  • Options
    Interesting that Ashcroft's detailed model identifies that the Tory majority goes up by a significant 50 seats if turnout matches the 2015 GE rather than people's reported likelihood to vote (the latter being close to 2016 referendum turnout).

Since it isn't obvious why turnout should be particularly high this time (save for a few anecdotes of first-time referendum voters converted into always-voters), this probably gives the Tories a further edge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    RobD said:

And they must have focused group the hell out of all these options. I doubt they are doing it blind.

I'm not so sure.

Sir Lynton Crosby (pbuh) spent two years working/focus grouping/polling the 2015 Tory manifesto and general campaign strategy, this time he's been only working for a few weeks on this snap election.

So don't be surprised if this campaign isn't as brilliant as the 2015 one.
  • Options
    This story is potentially immense. http://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-Gas/Energy-Breakthrough-China-Has-Successfully-Mined-Fire-Ice-From-The-Sea.html

Gas hydrates are the most abundant fossil fuels on earth, and the total amount available might exceed all other fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas) combined. They are methane that is trapped in an ice-like structure at the bottom of the ocean. If the Chinese have successfully worked out a way to (economically) harvest them, it is potentially huge news.

(The problem with gas hydrates is that they only stay trapped while they are under immense pressure at the bottom of the sea.)
  • Options

RobD said:

I'm not so sure.

Sir Lynton Crosby (pbuh) spent two years working/focus grouping/polling the 2015 Tory manifesto and general campaign strategy, this time he's been only working for a few weeks on this snap election.

Cheers TSE, you sure know how to make a PB Tory feel better. :p
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Interesting that Ashcroft's detailed model identifies that the Tory majority goes up by a significant 50 seats if turnout matches the 2015 GE rather than people's reported likelihood to vote (the latter being close to 2016 referendum turnout).

Since it isn't obvious why turnout should be particularly high this time (save for a few anecdotes of first-time referendum voters converted into always-voters), this probably gives the Tories a further edge.

Based solely on non-PB conversations, I reckon turnout will be down at close to 2001 levels. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, has even mentioned the election to me, and we're less than three weeks away.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Sadly, our system - with its large stamp duty payments and high transaction costs - discourages people from trading down.

(While I am loathe to complicate the tax system further, one of the key purposes must surely be to encourage the efficient use of resources. People in houses far too big for them is not efficient. Could we perhaps exempt people from stamp duty on purchases when they are trading down post the age of 50?)
    As someone who is likely to trade down in about 5 years (when I max out my pension and retire from my post, albeit to carry on work part time as a locum), transaction costs are only part of the problem.

The other problem is that there are few smaller properties that appeal to the youngrr retired, in particular people like to have plenty of social space downstairs, while needing fewer bedrooms. There is also a desire to be able to put up grandchildren when they visit. Increasingly either grandparents help look after their grandchildren to help out working parents, or live at distance where they must stay overnight when they visit.

A further problem is that we have acquired a lot more junk than previous generations, and need storage space.

Stamp duty is a particularly poor tax though, as it is a tax on residential mobility, being a further bar on internal migration to where jobs are. Replacing it with an annual property/land tax would level the playing field.
  • Options
    On topic, superb work Alastair.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2017

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

As someone who is likely to trade down in about 5 years (when I max out my pension and retire from my post, albeit to carry on work part time as a locum), transaction costs are only part of the problem.

The other problem is that there are few smaller properties that appeal to the youngrr retired, in particular people like to have plenty of social space downstairs, while needing fewer bedrooms. There is also a desire to be able to put up grandchildren when they visit. Increasingly either grandparents help look after their grandchildren to help out working parents, or live at distance where they must stay overnight when they visit.

A further problem is that we have acquired a lot more junk than previous generations, and need storage space.

Stamp duty is a particularly poor tax though, as it is a tax on residential mobility, being a further bar on internal migration to where jobs are. Replacing it with an annual property/land tax would level the playing field.
    Why don't you focus group an "annual property tax" and see how it goes down. I think without exception for anyone who owned property, it would go down like a cup of someone else's cold sick..

I am sick of being taxed , I am sick of excuses by govt for their failings that things cost us more. I worked damed hard for 50 yrs, I have a lovey house and I am not moving. Its too big acc to your suggestion but its MY HOME. Taxing me our of it.. pffffff
    As for the rented sector the annual property tax would have to be passed on to the renter, I reckon they would feel the same when you asked them to cough up.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Governments love stamp duty, like VAT, because it's so easy and cheap to collect. All the work of assessment and collection is done by solicitors.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I'm not so sure.

Cheers TSE, you sure know how to make a PB Tory feel better. :p
    At least I didn't say Mrs May isn't as brilliant as Dave.

He'd never make a rookie mistake like she has done and led to today's Telegraph front page. Giving the Scots benefits that English can't have, especially those English who are paying for it and/or living in the desolate North.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/865671981307441152
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Why don't you focus group an "annual property tax" and see how it goes down. I think without exception for anyone who owned property you would be told to F right off. I am sick of being taxed , I am sick of excuses by govt for their failings that things cost us more. I worked damed hard for 50 yrs, I have a lovey house and I am not moving. Its too big acc to your suggestion but its MY HOME. Taxing me our of it.. pffffff
    As for the rented sector the annual property tax would have to be passed on to the renter, I recon they would feel the same when you asked them to cough up.
    Nevertheless, it would be less economically distorting than a transaction tax as it would encourage efficient allocation of resources.
  • Options

I'd second that.

In general, I consider this proposal to be a marked improvement on where we are at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

I'm not so sure.

Anyone who uses a focus group to tell them what to do is an idiot. Politicians (in this case) need to decide what 'the right thing to do' is - focus groups can then help them explain it to the voters - but not to decide what to do - I'm sure Sir Lynton (who got a knighthood for winning an election, while Livermore got a peerage for losing one...) knows this - but some dimmer politicians appear not to.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183

He'd never make a rookie mistake like she has done and led to today's Telegraph front page.

Didn't he say something about a renegotiation and a referendum?

How did that work out? :tongue:
  • Options

RobD said:

I'm not so sure.

Anyone who uses a focus group to tell them what to do is an idiot. Politicians (in this case) need to decide what 'the right thing to do' is - focus groups can then help them explain it to the voters - but not to decide what to do - I'm sure Sir Lynton (who got a knighthood for winning an election, while Livermore got a peerage for losing one...) knows this - but some dimmer politicians appear not to.
    A top rank politician uses focus groups/polling not to decide policy but how best to sell it to the public.

I support the principles behind the policy but it has been poorly explained and has a few flaws in it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Why don't you focus group an "annual property tax" and see how it goes down. I think without exception for anyone who owned property would go down like a cup of someone else's cold sick.. I am sick of being taxed , I am sick of excuses by govt for their failings that things cost us more. I worked damed hard for 50 yrs, I have a lovey house and I am not moving. Its too big acc to your suggestion but its MY HOME. Taxing me our of it.. pffffff
    As for the rented sector the annual property tax would have to be passed on to the renter, I recon they would feel the same when you asked them to cough up.
    Nevertheless, it would be less economically distorting than a transaction tax as it would encourage efficient allocation of resources.
    Lets see any party, bar the bonkers Labour party(who probably would introduce it) suggest it.. oblivion beckons.

As for efficient allocation of resources, Tell that to voters as the reasoning. , Good luck with that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Yes, well you have a good reason. Unfortunately some of us are insomniacs. :(

On topic. Thank you very much Mr Meeks, a very informative piece. What this has shown, in my opinion, is just how f****** stupid the left are. They literally don't realise that they are lining up to the right of the Tories. And Tim Farron's contribution to the debate just showed him to be totally out of touch with reality.

My one concern about the Tories policy is that this is another policy that puts it in the government's interest for property prices to keep on rising. You can guarantee that £100,000 won't be going up over the next five years.

I don't know how many people will have noticed the difference in Tory policy on winter fuel payments in Scotland. But again, even if you're an angry Englishman, who else are you going to vote for?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

He'd never make a rookie mistake like she has done and led to today's Telegraph front page.

Didn't he say something about a renegotiation and a referendum?

How did that work out? :tongue:
    Well Mrs May should have learned from it, this is what happens when you go against your core voters.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

On topic. Thank you very much Mr Meeks, a very informative piece. What this has shown, in my opinion, is just how f****** stupid the left are. They literally don't realise that they are lining up to the right of the Tories. And Tim Farron's contribution to the debate just showed him to be totally out of touch with reality.

My one concern about the Tories policy is that this is another policy that puts it in the government's interest for property prices to keep on rising. You can guarantee that £100,000 won't be going up over the next five years.

I don't know how many people will have noticed the difference in Tory policy on winter fuel payments in Scotland. But again, even if you're an angry Englishman, who else are you going to vote for?
    If the property equity of the elderly is spent on care, in the long run that will tend to reduce house prices, surely?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Why don't you focus group an "annual property tax" and see how it goes down. I think without exception for anyone who owned property you would be told to F right off. I am sick of being taxed , I am sick of excuses by govt for their failings that things cost us more. I worked damed hard for 50 yrs, I have a lovey house and I am not moving. Its too big acc to your suggestion but its MY HOME. Taxing me our of it.. pffffff
    Lets see any party, bar the bonkers Labour party suggest it.. oblivion beckons.
    I would prefer a simple gross assets levy (GAL), which would discourage people from taking on excessive levels of debt. Say 0.5%/year.
  • Options
    On topic, thank you for a very interesting thread header Alistair (as ever). As I said last night I think this policy will do OK round here and it's hard to see sufficient loss of support in the south that will make an overall difference.

The only thing it might do is leave Tory majorities in the south both smaller and softer, so if Labour ever come to their senses and revisit Planet Earth they might not be quite as far out of their reach as I had thought.

Incidentally don't forget that while the Telegraph is headlining winter fuel they have also gone with this story on Corbyn:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/19/exclusive-mi5-opened-file-jeremy-corbyn-amid-concerns-ira-links/amp/

The predicted dead cat?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On topic, thank you for a very interesting thread header Alistair (as ever). As I said last night I think this policy will do OK round here and it's hard to see sufficient loss of support in the south that will make an overall difference.

The only thing it might do is leave Tory majorities in the south both smaller and softer, so if Labour ever come to their senses and revisit Planet Earth they might not be quite as far out of their reach as I had thought.

Incidentally don't forget that while the Telegraph is headlining winter fuel they have also gone with this story on Corbyn:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/19/exclusive-mi5-opened-file-jeremy-corbyn-amid-concerns-ira-links/amp/

The predicted dead cat?

The first in a clowder.

I'm sure totally unconnected to how the social care reforms are going on the door step.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

If the property equity of the elderly is spent on care, in the long run that will tend to reduce house prices, surely?
    That's what my dad said, but surely it's the deceased estate (i.e. not just the house) which will be subject to the charge.

But I reckon property prices will ease a little bit once the baby boomers start to snuff it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

I would prefer a simple gross assets levy (GAL), which would discourage people from taking on excessive levels of debt. Say 0.5%/year.
    As I said, good luck with it. There is a reason why Lib Dems might really be reduced to taxi numbers. Policies like this.. Thank you for reminding me why I could never lend my vote to the LIb Dems.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The predicted dead cat?

The first in a clowder.

I'm sure totally unconnected to how the social care reforms are going on the door step.
    What's the ratio of dead cats? Are they holding back the Islington paedophile scandal in case things get really grim? Or is it that photograph with Paul Eisen on posters everywhere next week and then that the week after?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The predicted dead cat?

The first in a clowder.

Not going too badly in the Telegraph letters page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/05/18/lettersthe-tories-care-reforms-price-worth-paying-fairer-society/
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance.. more of a mixed bag :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

()

Lets see any party, bar the bonkers Labour party suggest it.. oblivion beckons.
    There are certainly good arguments for taxing land, assets, and environmental damage, and not taxing income, jobs and spending, all of which are desirable things that are complicated to track and pin down. The problem as ever is how to get from here to there. And of course government is looking for new ways to plug the gap in its finances, rather than at relieving the burden on taxing our income.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The predicted dead cat?

The first in a clowder.

What's the ratio of dead cats? Are they holding back the Islington paedophile scandal in case things get really grim? Or is it that photograph with Paul Eisen on posters everywhere next week and then that the week after?
    Pass. I'm not as well informed on Tory general election plans this campaign as I was last time for some inexplicable reason.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

ydoethur said:

The predicted dead cat?

The first in a clowder.

Not going too badly in the Telegraph letters page:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/05/18/lettersthe-tories-care-reforms-price-worth-paying-fairer-society/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/05/19/letterstory-care-proposals-will-hurt-wish-help-next-generation/

What a difference 24 hours makes.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Betting Post.....odds on Betfair for Rhondda...

Plaid slight favourites at 5/6 over Labour at 10/11

Chris Bryant might need new underpants....but no more photos please..
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Why don't you focus group an "annual property tax" and see how it goes down. I think without exception for anyone who owned property, it would go down like a cup of someone else's cold sick..

I am sick of being taxed , I am sick of excuses by govt for their failings that things cost us more. I worked damed hard for 50 yrs, I have a lovey house and I am not moving. Its too big acc to your suggestion but its MY HOME. Taxing me our of it.. pffffff
    As for the rented sector the annual property tax would have to be passed on to the renter, I reckon they would feel the same when you asked them to cough up.
    The problem is that either taxes have to go up to pay for social care or people have to pay for it out of their assets (and that means property).

Fox's dictum applies "the only fair tax is one on other people".
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

That's what my dad said, but surely it's the deceased estate (i.e. not just the house) which will be subject to the charge.

But I reckon property prices will ease a little bit once the baby boomers start to snuff it.
    More likely when the generation following the baby boomers starts to reach retirement, since the boomer generation is much better provided for.

The bottom line is that if the equity in property flows down the generations in full, then the next generation, as a whole, doesn't need to purchase the country's housing stock afresh - it's simply a question of how it is distributed (which is of course a massive issue in itself). If however the equity is spent - either to support living costs in the absence of adequate pension provision, or on health or care - then the next generation does have to buy its homes from scratch, which must drag the cost of housing back down to what people can realistically afford in relation to average earnings.

Where we agree is that longer lifespans, inadequate pension provision and rising care costs all point towards a significant part of property equity being spent during old age rather than left intact for the heirs.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    ydoethur said:

The predicted dead cat?

Dead cat or fancy bear? Comrade Putin surely wants a Conservative win to ensure Brexit and weaken the EU.

Probably neither. It reads more like an ex-spook has phoned the Telegraph which has padded it out from the files.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

The problem is that either taxes have to go up to pay for social care or people have to pay for it out of their assets (and that means property).

I believe countries such as France have an annual property tax, and it appears to work without crowds of homeless elderly roaming the streets?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

The LIb Dems always want to increase the tax burden even more. We have had enough tax, I am already being taxed another 2% on my council tax, which in itself is extortionate , to pay for social care.
  • Options
    Penddu said:

That suggests Labour's recent uptick in the polls is not coming through on the ground in key marginals OR that people are betting with their hearts not their heads.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

The baby boom is generally considered to be 1945 to 1964, and with a life expectancy of 80 years. Baby boomers will only die off in the mid forties.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

The LIb Dems always want to increase the tax burden even more. We have had enough tax, I am already being taxed another 2% on my council tax, which in itself is extortionate , to pay for social care.
    Sorry my friend but your taxes are going up whoever wins the election. The pressures on education, pensions, health and social care are inexorable, and the scope for balancing the books by cutting the bits and pieces of other public spending is rapidly reducing.

Why do you think the Tories have dropped Cameron's cast iron tax promise?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sorry my friend but your taxes are going up whoever wins the election. The pressures on education, pensions, health and social care are inexorable, and the scope for balancing the books by cutting the bits and pieces of other public spending is rapidly reducing.

Well they have committed to continuing to raise the personal allowance. Not sure we'll see any major changes in income tax, although NI might be reformed as in the budget.
  • Options

As I said, good luck with it. There is a reason why Lib Dems might really be reduced to taxi numbers. Policies like this.. Thank you for reminding me why I could never lend my vote to the LIb Dems.

Why would you think I'm a LibDem?

I'm a six percenter. I believe that the state should be limited to 6% of GDP. But I also think that taxes should encourage work and discourage misallocation of capital. I would prefer to largely eliminate income taxes, and replace them with something like a gross assets levy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

More likely when the generation following the baby boomers starts to reach retirement, since the boomer generation is much better provided for.

The bottom line is that if the equity in property flows down the generations in full, then the next generation, as a whole, doesn't need to purchase the country's housing stock afresh - it's simply a question of how it is distributed (which is of course a massive issue in itself). If however the equity is spent - either to support living costs in the absence of adequate pension provision, or on health or care - then the next generation does have to buy its homes from scratch, which must drag the cost of housing back down to what people can realistically afford in relation to average earnings.

Where we agree is that longer lifespans, inadequate pension provision and rising care costs all point towards a significant part of property equity being spent during old age rather than left intact for the heirs.
    Yes, the figures on equity release would be interesting. I think a fairer criticism of this policy is that the government's basically saying "don't worry, we'll pay for adult social care using the really high house prices."

To answer @MikeL's question, I know someone who works in adult social care in Surrey (and has done so for many years). I'll see what she thinks when I next see her but I suspect your right. If you could afford it you pay for it yourself.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

I believe countries such as France have an annual property tax, and it appears to work without crowds of homeless elderly roaming the streets?
    but council tax in France is nothing like what it is in the UK. My friend tells me that its equivalent costs are about 1/3 to 2/5 of what we pay.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited May 2017
    Penddu said:

Two odds-on shots in the same race? Scandalous. Tissue Price should set up a judge-led enquiry once elected.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Well they have committed to continuing to raise the personal allowance. Not sure we'll see any major changes in income tax, although NI might be reformed as in the budget.
    It'll be stealth taxes. NI, as you say - maybe even integrating tax and NI. Tax reliefs - a fortune could be saved if they looked at tax relief on pension contributions, or found a way of taxing the vast amounts of savings now sheltered free of tax in ISAs etc. None of these are desirable - but the Gvt will have to find the money one way or another and, as you imply, the Tories will resist anything that looks like a headline increase.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2017
    Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

In general, I consider this proposal to be a marked improvement on where we are at the moment.
    I agree with you. In fact I support the Tory proposal on paying for care and their proposal on winter fuel allowance, even though both may adversely affect me. (It won't persuade me to vote Tory though!)

My mother spent the last years of her life in a care home and we sold her house to fund it. It cost about £700 a week. My brother, sister and myself were very pleased that she could afford private care and we didn't once discuss its impact on our inheritance, and I personally didn't give it a thought.

Having recently been on a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, I compared costs and it is very similar to a care home. For that you get top quality hotel accommodation, excellent food and entertainment, new places to see and good company. Two doctors on board and a mortuary with two places. So that's my plan.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

I agree with you. In fact I support the Tory proposal on paying for care and their proposal on winter fuel allowance, even though both may adversely affect me. (It won't persuade me to vote Tory though!)

My mother spent the last years of her life in a care home and we sold her house to fund it. It cost about £700 a week. My brother, sister and myself were very pleased that she could afford private care and we didn't once discuss its impact on our inheritance, and I personally didn't give it a thought.

Having recently been on a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, I compared costs and it is very similar to a care home. For that you get top quality hotel accommodation, excellent food and entertainment, new places to see and good company. Two doctors on board and a mortuary with two places. So that's my plan.
    If only cruise ships took passengers that need the degree of medical and care support that puts most of them in homes!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

It'll be stealth taxes. NI, as you say - maybe even integrating tax and NI. Tax reliefs - a fortune could be saved if they looked at tax relief on pension contributions, or found a way of taxing the vast amounts of savings now sheltered free of tax in ISAs etc. None of these are desirable - but the Gvt will have to find the money one way or another and, as you imply, the Tories will resist anything that looks like a headline increase.
    I was looking into this, and there is now about £500bn in ISAs. :o A very tempting target for the Treasury, I would have thought!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

)

The

Much as I may wish to, I do not write LD policies and manifestos. It is worth noting too that the LD reputation in Local Government is based on sound finance and good services, not profligacy.

The problem is that the population pyramid changes to a column over the next 3 decades. Those elderly people are going to be supported by those lower down the pyramid one way or another.

http://www.kulzick.com/stu/ukpop.htm

That is how the UK (and much of the rest of the worlds population) changes over the next few years.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

)

The

Much as I may wish to, I do not write LD policies and manifestos. It is worth noting too that the LD reputation in Local Government is based on sound finance and good services, not profligacy.

The problem is that the population pyramid changes to a column over the next 3 decades. Those elderly people are going to be supported by those lower down the pyramid one way or another.

That is how the UK (and much of the rest of the worlds population) changes over the next few years.
    Looks like this data was from 2000, prior to the huge increase in immigration. It'd be interesting to see updated projections.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I was looking into this, and there is now about £500bn in ISAs. :o A very tempting target for the Treasury, I would have thought!
    Probably they will take a similar approach to pensions - introduce some sort of 'lifetime ISA cap' that only affects the most rich, then rely on inflation and periodic shifts of policy to gradually tighten the limit on how much people can shelter from tax.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

)

The

Sh*t. We've got it all wrong.

We should be banning contraception & encouraging teenage pregnancy.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

I arranged for a client to be placed in a care home, at similar cost, using a power of attorney. Her main heir was not at all pleased, and wanted me to search for the cheapest alternative (I was tempted to find somewhere more expensive)
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

If you want to lose power then I guess it is.. the keywords are govern WITH consent"

Attacking ISA's.. well good luck with that. Noone is getting any interest.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

If you want to lose power then I guess it is.. the keywords are govern WITH consent"

If no one is getting any interest, HMRC isn't getting any revenue :D
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Which makes it the perfect time to get away with it... (and the big money is in stock ISAs anyway)
  • Options
    Pong said:

Also, over 60s should be encouraged to drink, smoke, take drugs and engage in extreme sports.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

I'm a six percenter. I believe that the state should be limited to 6% of GDP. But I also think that taxes should encourage work and discourage misallocation of capital. I would prefer to largely eliminate income taxes, and replace them with something like a gross assets levy.
    Agree on shifting away from income. For one thing it's getting tougher to collect in a globalised world.
    Thoughts on a land value tax?

And 6% seems crazily small to me. Is there any country in the world that's even close to that?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

If only cruise ships took passengers that need the degree of medical and care support that puts most of them in homes!
    My mother, and many others in her care home, had the problem of wandering off and not knowing where she was. That doesn't matter so much on a cruise ship. She didn't need medical care. Her only medication was a glass of Baileys before retiring.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

Also, over 60s should be encouraged to drink, smoke, take drugs and engage in extreme sports.
    You mean this isn't normal practice for a 60-yo? Damn. I was looking forward to it :(
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

My mother, and many others in her care home, had the problem of wandering off and not knowing where she was. That doesn't matter so much on a cruise ship. She didn't need medical care. Her only medication was a glass of Baileys before retiring.
    Wandering off on a cruise ship sounds pretty worrying!
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pong said:

)

The

Why don't you focus group an "annual property .

Looks like this data was from 2000, prior to the huge increase in immigration. It'd be interesting to see updated projections.
    It makes only a modest difference. These are the recent govt figures:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/bulletins/nationalpopulationprojections/2015-10-29

The population changes due to migration merely maintain the working age population, the real population increase is in the over 65's in general, and the over 85's in particular.

This is the bald truth, we can either plan for it, or stick our heads in the sand.
  • Options

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationprojections/bulletins/nationalpopulationprojections/2015-10-29

The population changes due to migration merely maintain the working age population, the real population increase is in the over 65's in general, and the over 85's in particular.

This is the bald truth, we can either plan for it, or stick our heads in the sand.

Definitely not as top-heavy as the earlier link though!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Where does the 6 come from out of curiosity?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

I arranged for a client to be placed in a care home, at similar cost, using a power of attorney. Her main heir was not at all pleased, and wanted me to search for the cheapest alternative (I was tempted to find somewhere more expensive)
    Sounds like a good case for putting her in the Ritz and retaining someone from Harley Street to look after her full time!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    This policy could make the Tory vote yet more efficient......
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Another strong possibility is adding a couple of extra bands to Council Tax, to ramp up the take on more expensive properties, then syphoning the money back to central government by playing around with the local government funding formula.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Where does the 6 come from out of curiosity?
    http://www.heretical.com/british/mhistory.html

And I should have said 8%.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

Wandering off on a cruise ship isn't the problem. It's when you wander off it that the fun begins!
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Do you have a source for that? I was trying to find that information a while back...

ISA limit per person should be capped. If you've got 200k squirrelled away... Surely we don't need to encourage you to save any more - you have plenty and you obviously don't need the encouragement!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mostly presentation, I think. The explosion in over 85-y-old women is disguised by spreading them up over all of the ages.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Mostly presentation, I think. The explosion in over 85-y-old women is disguised by spreading them up over all of the ages.
    Hm, I'm not talking about that one bar right at the top.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Do you have a source for that? I was trying to find that information a while back...

ISA limit per person should be capped. If you've got 200k squirrelled away... Surely we don't need to encourage you to save any more - you have plenty and you obviously don't need the encouragement!
    Here's a link I found - https://www.moneyexpert.com/savings/average-isa-deposits-hit-record-high/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

I'd second that.

Wandering off on a cruise ship isn't the problem. It's when you wander off it that the fun begins!
    If you need serious medical care whilst on a cruise ship, the costs can be horrendous. As are, of course, the costs of medical/travel insurance for the elderly passengers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yep, all those fertile twenty something Poles have bought us enough time to work out a solution, as well as work significantly in the social care sector.

I was abused a week ago for pointing out that Brexit Britain looks substantially like Wales.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Here's a link I found - https://www.moneyexpert.com/savings/average-isa-deposits-hit-record-high/
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.