Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay U-turns on her controversial manifesto social care policy

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay U-turns on her controversial manifesto social care policy

Theresa May’s 9 U-turns https://t.co/5rfqideq4d

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited May 2017
    1st like Mrs May
    Mr Corbyn
    Mr Farron

... errr....
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    She doesn't deserve to win. She's awful. She's very lucky she's facing Corbyn
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    She's crap.

At least she didn't carve her original proposals in stone.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2017

She's crap.

etch-a-sketch board?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    The lady is for turning.

Tomorrow's headline, today.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

She's crap.

More like the back of an envelope.
  • Options

She's crap.

:D:D

Are you still a Tory Mr Eagles?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,944
    bobajobPB said:

The lady is for turning.

Tomorrow's headline, today.

People also want a listening leader as Thatcher learnt to her cost over the poll tax
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Well I don't think she needed to do this - but she will have a much better sense on what the damage was going to be.

A full u turn would be swiftly forgotten... But if it's partial I think Labour can still make some political capital out of it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    One group of people who will have paid close attention to the U-turn under pressure will be the Eurosceptic parliamentary group. Getting a Brexit deal through the Commons just got harder.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    rkrkrk said:

Well I don't think she needed to do this - but she will have a much better sense on what the damage was going to be.

A full u turn would be swiftly forgotten... But if it's partial I think Labour can still make some political capital out of it.

How - and see their lack of proposals exposed.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well etc.

I feel sorry for all those Tory candidates who have been selling this policy on the doorstep for the past few days and now look like chumps at best.

Nick Timothy's reputation is now lower than crocodile piss, which means Mrs May's government won't function well post election. She might have to sack him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Nick Timothy's reputation is lower than crocodile piss, which means Mrs May's government won't function well post election. She might have to sack him.

@DPJHodges: Going to be huge briefing against Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill over next 24 hours. That's a cop-out. Buck always stops with the principal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

She doesn't deserve to win. She's awful. She's very lucky she's facing Corbyn

You'd like to think they wouldn't have made such a shitty presentational job (of what I still think is a fair and reasonable policy) if they had been facing someone with rather more voter appeal than the old Commie, terrorist-lover and his innumerate side-kick.

(You do have to wonder if there wasn't a fiver bet in CCHQ on "I reckon I can get a poll with the Tories in the 30's....")
  • Options

I feel sorry for all those Tory candidates who have been selling this policy on the doorstep for the past few days and now look like chumps at best.

Nick Timothy's reputation is lower than crocodile piss, which means Mrs May's government won't function well post election. She might have to sack him.

She may well - I cannot think she is happy at the way the proposal was stated in the manifesto
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    The U-turn consists only of saying there will be a consultation. Andrew Neil should eviscerate her over who was consulted before publishing the policy.

If the pattern is rushed decisions made by a kitchen cabinet followed by panicked climb-downs, the Brexit negotiations will be a shambles.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Tim Marshall‏ @Itwitius 3m3 minutes ago

Clever of Labour to capitalise on the Tory care policy fiasco seeing as it hits the better off the hardest... no wait....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    rkrkrk said:

Now the Tories have u turned Crosby should launch a hard hitting PPB and poster campaign on Corbyn's 'inheritance tax bombshell', McDonnell plans to almost completely reverse Osborne's inheritance tax cut last year
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

rkrkrk said:

How - and see their lack of proposals exposed.
    Labour will carry on the same attacks about a dementia tax.
    The Tories won't be able to say - we have dropped that policy completely.

Instead they will have to explain whatever the amended policy is - and clearly they haven't figured out all of the details yet since they only just u turned.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Going to be huge briefing against Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill over next 24 hours. That's a cop-out. Buck always stops with the principal.
    Let's not forget Fiona Hill was sacked in disgrace when Mrs May was Home Secretary for leaking against another member of the cabinet
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    From Strong and Stable to Theresa Maybe in four days.
  • Options

The U-turn consists only of saying there will be a consultation. Andrew Neil should eviscerate her over who was consulted before publishing the policy.

If the pattern is rushed decisions made by a kitchen cabinet followed by panicked climb-downs, the Brexit negotiations will be a shambles.

To be fair William you have always said the Brexit negotiations will be a shambles and long before the social care policy
  • Options
    I see Tory leader Andrew RT Davies has been replaced on the BBC Wales version of the Andrew Neil interviews by Alun Cairns the Welsh Secretary
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Nick Timothy's reputation is now lower than crocodile piss, which means Mrs May's government won't function well post election. She might have to sack him.

Who is her Willie? Who's going to sit her down, and explain that she can't run a government the way she ran the Home Office? So that she listens?

Can't think of anyone, tbh. That's troubling.

As an aside, though, is anyone else feeling nostalgic for The Thick of It right now? One can just imagine Malcolm Tucker on current events...
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017

The multitudinous skies incarnadine, making the blue voters red.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

I see Tory leader Andrew RT Davies has been replaced on the BBC Wales version of the Andrew Neil interviews by Alun Cairns the Welsh Secretary

That is a good move
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I originally expected a Tory majority of 50+ - I think that is increasingly likely now although it could be even lower. I suspect there will only 3/4 Tory seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    So Mrs May turns up to launch Welsh Tories manifesto but no Corbyn show for Welsh Labour launch
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    The public must surely start becoming deeply suspicious of Corbyn's brazen attampts at bribery today, writing off billions of pounds of debts and promising policies, on student loans/maintenance fees, costing an eye watering 11 billion quid. He is chucking around money that he does not have and will never have, because it will go straight onto the tab.

On top of all the other fantastic promises, why oh why oh why hasn't their manifesto been dismantled piece by piece? I believe it has not come under anything like the scrutiny it would have if people genuinely believed they could be the next government. This has to change, because even if there is a million to one chance of Corbyn becoming PM, the consequences must be explained in great detail.

By the way, I thought May actually did pretty well in that speech. She had to do something, I suppose, and I guess even a U turn, embarrassing as it is, will be worth the short term damage in the end.

This last few days has rocked the Tories to the core, there's no point denying that now, but Corbyn & co offer them all the ammunition they could ever wish for in an opposition party, and they have to - must do - and I believe will do - expalin to the public what the catastrophc consequences of a Corbyn government would do to this country.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    marke09 said:

Probably wise. RT ain't the most user friendly. However if half a dozen watch it and two remember anything about it an hour later I shall be amazed.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Tim Marshall‏ @Itwitius 3m3 minutes ago

Clever of Labour to capitalise on the Tory care policy fiasco seeing as it hits the better off the hardest... no wait....

That was always the weirdest aspect of the past 4 days....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited May 2017
    According to the Guardian Mrs May was asked at this morning’s Press Conference 'Someone with dementia will have to use up their inheritance. But someone who dies of cancer will be able to pass on £1m because you have raised the inheritance tax threshold. So it is a dementia tax. How is that fair?”

There are numerous, albeit less publicised, cases where the children of people who have died of dementia have fought social services through the courts ....... although usually to the steps of the court ....... and recovered part at least of he value of their inheritance. It’s nasty, one is vilified, but it can be done.
  • Options

She's crap.

I am. But I'm spoiling my ballot paper this time.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

One group of people who will have paid close attention to the U-turn under pressure will be the Eurosceptic parliamentary group. Getting a Brexit deal through the Commons just got harder.

Good point especially with some lf the presson their side, and the EU making every stage of the process public so they can press for resistence at every step.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,337
    I wonder if Mrs May's decision to call an election might eventually be seen as her equivalent of Brown's election that never was in 2007.Not that she has a hope of actually losing it, she's up against Jeremy Corbyn, but that's also the point - anything but a thumping, epoch shifting win will be seen as a bad result. Even a 50-60 seat majority would leave her wounded and change the narrative around her in the same way that Brown's decision changed him from the clunking fist to a conniving bumbler. She'd no longer be the strong, Thatcher like figure that sends the Mail into barely concealed paroxysms of ecstasy, but the person who Diana Rossed the open goal presented by Corbyn. That's not a good label if/when Brexit negotiations start to go badly or she's forced to compromise on a deal the Mail, Sun and her backbenchers don't like.

Her saving grace might be that the same result would prevent Labour from getting its act together as Corbynistas would insist all that's needed is one more heave from their man.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Who is her Willie? Who's going to sit her down, and explain that she can't run a government the way she ran the Home Office? So that she listens?

As an aside, though, is anyone else feeling nostalgic for The Thick of It right now? One can just imagine Malcolm Tucker on current events...
    Hague would be ideal but he's writing books in deepest mid Wales.

Still much more of this and it will be irrelevant two weeks Friday.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

I wrote about it last year. If only she listened to me..

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/16/theresa-may-doesnt-have-a-willie-and-it-shows-she-urgently-and-desperately-needs-a-willie-in-her-government/
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 897
    edited May 2017
    So if the Tories are elected, can they say "well it was in the manifesto and you voted for us, tough"
  • Options
    MJW said:

I wonder if Mrs May's decision to call an election might eventually be seen as her equivalent of Brown's election that never was in 2007.Not that she has a hope of actually losing it, she's up against Jeremy Corbyn, but that's also the point - anything but a thumping, epoch shifting win will be seen as a bad result. Even a 50-60 seat majority would leave her wounded and change the narrative around her in the same way that Brown's decision changed him from the clunking fist to a conniving bumbler. She'd no longer be the strong, Thatcher like figure that sends the Mail into barely concealed paroxysms of ecstasy, but the person who Diana Rossed the open goal presented by Corbyn. That's not a good label if/when Brexit negotiations start to go badly or she's forced to compromise on a deal the Mail, Sun and her backbenchers don't like.

Her saving grace might be that the same result would prevent Labour from getting its act together as Corbynistas would insist all that's needed is one more heave from their man.

If she makes it over the line, what do we think. Brexit deal 2019/20 and then go?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    marke09 said:

So Mrs May turns up to launch Welsh Tories manifesto but no Corbyn show for Welsh Labour launch

Corbyn wasn't at the Scottish Labour launch either.....
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/16/theresa-may-doesnt-have-a-willie-and-it-shows-she-urgently-and-desperately-needs-a-willie-in-her-government/
    Nicholas Soames would be ideal
  • Options
    felix said:

I originally expected a Tory majority of 50+ - I think that is increasingly likely now although it could be even lower. I suspect there will only 3/4 Tory seats in Scotland.

The biggest pro Tory swing is in Scotland, so expect 6+ seats there and maybe up to 10, post u turn if she can get the Tories back to 46 or 47% the 100 seat majority is back on
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    Ironically the damage was largely due to the fact that the manifesto preparation was so disciplined. If it had been leaked or briefed as 'sources close to..', there would have been time either to modify the policy or to have prepared the ground for it.

Because of leaks and Osborne's devastating attacks, Brown and Mandelson managed to do their U-turn on the Death Tax before putting it into the manifesto - which is less damaging.

As it has turned out, TM has managed to make a reasonable policy on a difficult issue into a massive own-goal, damaging her USP in the process.

Going forward, I agree that the U-turn will mitigate some of the damage even if a cap is not terribly defensible as a policy and will be difficult to administer. Politicians and political pundits like to think that politics is a bit like the BBC's Just a Minute!, whereby you score points if you can shout "U-Turn!" at your opponents. Voters, however, don't really play by those rules; John Major, after all, famously won the 1992 election on the mother of all U-turns.
  • Options
    https://order-order.com/2017/05/22/asked-about-ira-corbyn-praises-bravery-of-irish-republicans/

Problem with Corbyn and his apologists now attempting to airbrush his past associations, and everything he is recorded to have said and done.

He WANTED the IRA to WIN.
  • Options
    where the chuff are these polls!!!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Would heartily suggest that jeering the U-Turn isn't sensible when you've been jeering the policy.

That said, I'd been very happy with the policy; so the u-turn irks somewhat....
  • Options
    Any news on icm?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

According to the Guardian Mrs May was asked at this morning’s Press Conference 'Someone with dementia will have to use up their inheritance. But someone who dies of cancer will be able to pass on £1m because you have raised the inheritance tax threshold. So it is a dementia tax. How is that fair?”

There numerous, albeit less publicised, cases where the children of people who have died of dementia have fought social services through the courts ....... although usually to the steps of the court ....... and recovered part at least of he value of their inheritance. It’s nasty, one is vilified, but it can be done.

Very few people have done this successfully. There are tons of solicitors who will take your case up on a NoWinNoFee basis

However, it is not a good use of public resources for these legal fights to be conducted. Public money is consumed in defending them by both theLocal Authorities and the NHS.

Public money that could be used for ... err ... social care.
  • Options
    I don't even particularly like Jeremy Corbyn, but he's not a fool.

Something that rarely gets mentioned is that there is a large Irish population in Archway, which is part of his constituency, Islington North.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

I was told 'lunchtime'. Just exactly how long are the lunches at ICM?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    My view is that this U-turn is actually worse from a branding perspective than the original dementia tax proposal.

It is possible to provide an argument in favour of the original proposals, there is some merit to them.

However the U-turn has destroyed the Strong and Stable branding, it was not possible for Corbyn to do this. This has enable a crack to form against the whole Conservative message (we know what we are doing, you can not trust Corbyn) which can now be pushed against and expanded.

This should be the focus for the other parties now, to undermine this Conservative message.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Something that rarely gets mentioned is that there is a large Irish population in Archway, which is part of his constituency, Islington North.
    he was banging on about that in his interview yesterday as it happens
  • Options

To be fair William you have always said the Brexit negotiations will be a shambles and long before the social care policy
    I thought for quite a long time, he said that Brexit would never happen?
  • Options

Given they were pre u turn they won't tell us much now
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    If I were still a Labour voter, I'd be weeping. If only!

Even Neil Kinnock would have been ten points ahead by now. Mrs May has no instinctive feel for politics, or solidity of purpose. But it doesn't matter.

She's up against 'ol Bonehead who would turn us into Venezuela and be happy about it, and the anti-democratic Farron, who having put all his eggs in one basket, sees it lying smashed on the ground. And the chances of Ukip or the Greens winning anything are as likely as me giving birth.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Animal_pb said:

Actually, I did wonder whether Hague leaving in 2015 was to do with the promise of a referendum. He, better than anyone else, would have been a fantastic reserve PM in case of anything happening to the Tory party.

But then he took a peerage - damn.
  • Options

Voters, however, don't really play by those rules; John Major, after all, famously won the 1992 election on the mother of all U-turns.

Voters are very forgiving of 'U-turns' if the resulting policy is ok - they support May's 'u-turn' over the GE, for example....
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Animal_pb said:

All of The Thick of It is available on Netflix (even Season 1, which hasn't been repeated "for reasons")
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

Nicholas Soames would be ideal
    Think you need someone a little brighter than the Honourable Mr Soames, for this.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    YESSSS!! THANK YOU JESUS!

Phew! This was exactly what I'd been hoping May would do ever since the policy was announced. She's blown off a few toes, but saved the limb, not to mention her election campaign. The associated "embarrassment" is no big deal if it saves 25-50 seats - let every news outlet (especially the leftie ones) trumpet the new cap far and wide!

Can you tell I'm a little excited?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

How are those polls looking for Le Pen?
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Jason said:

The public must surely start becoming deeply suspicious of Corbyn's brazen attampts at bribery today, writing off billions of pounds of debts and promising policies, on student loans/maintenance fees, costing an eye watering 11 billion quid. He is chucking around money that he does not have and will never have, because it will go straight onto the tab.

On top of all the other fantastic promises, why oh why oh why hasn't their manifesto been dismantled piece by piece? I believe it has not come under anything like the scrutiny it would have if people genuinely believed they could be the next government. This has to change, because even if there is a million to one chance of Corbyn becoming PM, the consequences must be explained in great detail.

By the way, I thought May actually did pretty well in that speech. She had to do something, I suppose, and I guess even a U turn, embarrassing as it is, will be worth the short term damage in the end.

This last few days has rocked the Tories to the core, there's no point denying that now, but Corbyn & co offer them all the ammunition they could ever wish for in an opposition party, and they have to - must do - and I believe will do - expalin to the public what the catastrophc consequences of a Corbyn government would do to this country.

Agree with this, I suspect the man to dismember the Labour manifesto and Corbyn as an individual is Andrew Neil, I'll be looking to take some large pro Tory betting positions the day before his interview
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Even Neil Kinnock would have been ten points ahead by now. Mrs May has no instinctive feel for politics, or solidity of purpose. But it doesn't matter.

She's up against 'ol Bonehead who would turn us into Venezuela and be happy about it, and the anti-democratic Farron, who having put all his eggs in one basket, sees it lying smashed on the ground. And the chances of Ukip or the Greens winning anything are as likely as me giving birth.

Wrong, yougov yesterday had Cooper and Umunna doing slightly worse than Corbyn against May and Khan only matched Corbyn
  • Options
    ‪You know you've hit rock bottom when even Nick Clegg lands a blow on you. ‬

https://twitter.com/nick_clegg/status/866624835014754304
  • Options

Cyan said:

he was banging on about that in his interview yesterday as it happens
    Oh I didn't know that. This is the main reason that he and other figures in London Labour more generally, such as Ken Livingstone, were into the Irish question so much. They're politicians.
  • Options

Must be having a French lunch.

But the polling we will want to see is the next set of Sundays.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Clegg safe now ?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    HYUFD said:

CD13 said:

Wrong, yougov yesterday had Cooper and Umunna doing slightly worse than Corbyn against May and Khan only matched Corbyn
    Those polls are utterly meaningless...you are comparing apples with mango fruit...
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Cleggo is much more like our own williamglenn then I ever realised.... everything is brought back to Brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Mortimer said:

Any news on icm?

I'm wondering whether there's not going to be one this week?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Where is the Welsh poll ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

4pm earliest
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

Animal_pb said:

Actually, I did wonder whether Hague leaving in 2015 was to do with the promise of a referendum. He, better than anyone else, would have been a fantastic reserve PM in case of anything happening to the Tory party.

He could still serve as her Willie. Indeed, Whitelaw took a peerage during his time in government. Time to return the Lord Chancellor to the Lords?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    surbiton said:

That's usually released around 6pm I think...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Clegg safe now ?
    Not if Labour hit 35% with ICM.
  • Options
    The pro-independence mob is an ugly thing when it is unleashed (and it has suited the leadership to open the cage at times). Claire Austin, the nurse who criticised the First Minister on Sunday, has found herself at its mercy. Immediately after the debate, the Nats briefed (wrongly) that she was the wife of a Tory councilor. The SNP branch in Stirling said Tebbitishly that if she was having to use food banks "maybe she needs to tighten her belt a bit more?" Joanna Cherry, a QC, MP and the SNP’s Home Affairs spokesperson, was forced to publicly apologise for spreading "Twitter rumours" about Ms Austin.

The ravening horde has largely kept its head down since the 2014 independence referendum, but we now see it hasn’t gone away - it is not enough for the SNP’s critics to be debated, they must be destroyed. This isn’t the behaviour of a normal political party: it’s the behaviour of a cult.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/05/nicola-sturgeons-snp-tony-blairs-new-labour-heading-crash-landing
  • Options
    edited May 2017

She's crap.

I am. But I'm spoiling my ballot paper this time.
    I quite understand. I did think about it myself, but I will vote for someone, just not my MP (Graham Brady) although he has a thumping majority way over 10,000 so I am unlikely to unseat him :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CD13 said:

I was watching that oily shyster Umuna on TDP earlier. What a fucking worm he is. He's morphed from putting in a vote of no confidence against Corbyn to being a fully paid up apologist.

I do hope when the dust settles and sanity has been restored to British politics that Umuna tries for the Labour leadership and he is utterly destroyed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Clegg safe now ?
    Why not vote for the party best placed to defeat Labour in your constituency :) ?
  • Options
    It gives me no pleasure to say it but Theresa May is like a golfer who needs a short putt to win the Masters, then gets out a driver and smashes the ball into the lake.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

welshowl said:

Animal_pb said:

He could still serve as her Willie. Indeed, Whitelaw took a peerage during his time in government. Time to return the Lord Chancellor to the Lords?
    I don't think Whitelaw was ever Lord Chancellor.

Curse Blair for his constitutional vandalism, it was worse than his Iraq mistake.

But his lack of knowledge of the law isn't surprising considering he did Jurisprudence at Oxford
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Clegg safe now ?
    Why not vote for the party best placed to defeat Labour in your constituency :) ?
    Hush you.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

• Options

It gives me no pleasure to say it but Theresa May is like a golfer who needs a short putt to win the Masters, then gets out a driver and smashes the ball into the lake.

Brilliant.
  • Options

Thankfully for her, her nearest opponent is nine shots back on the 16th.
  • Options

The pro-independence mob is an ugly thing when it is unleashed ... - it is not enough for the SNP’s critics to be debated, they must be destroyed. This isn’t the behaviour of a normal political party: it’s the behaviour of a cult.

It sounds like Labour's Momentum and the treatment meted out to critics of Corbyn

• Options
    We’ve now got the results of this week’s Guardian/ICM survey, and it also shows Labour making advances. Here are the figures.

Conservatives: 47% (down 1 from Guardian/ICM last week)

Labour: 33% (up 5)

Lib Dems: 9% (down 1)

Ukip: 4% (down 2)

Greens: 2% (down 1)

Conservative lead: 14 points (down 6)

Martin Boon, ICM’s director, says these figures support claims Labour won the manifesto battle. Here is his take on the figures.

After the delivery of the party manifesto’s, polling over the weekend has indicated a resurgent, if still rather distant Labour party. ICM has been the stickiest pollster for the Tories, and while we probably still are, our poll today reinforces the impression that Labour have won the short term manifesto battle. They rise to 33%, up five-points on last week, while the Tories drop a point to stand on (a still heady) 47%.

The Tories have had a flat out bad weekend, and the wind does feel as if it’s suddenly blowing in a different direction, but we’ve seen short term effects like this before, and we’ve seen them dissipate. This is still a massive 14-point Tory lead, and still their election to throw away.

It is almost a whole year since ICM last saw Labour on 33% (June 2016), so it’s a surge that has been a long time coming. However, it does not arise in conjunction with a precipitous Tory collapse, and their 47% remains a number that the party will be wholly delighted with. Electoral Calculus predict an overall majority of 134, with the Tories only just shy of 400 seats. Labour do recover to 177, largely because their polling in their own marginal seats is much improved: a deficit of only 3-points compared to 17-20-points that we have seen in such places on ICM’s recent polls. It’s a step in the right direction.

Ukip drop to 4%, the lowest online share we have ever allocated to the party. This is partly the result of a methodology change. ICM is able to systematically allocate every respondent to their political constituency via their full postcode, so this week we built into the interview software constituency-level information that precluded Ukip as a party to vote for in those seats where they are not standing a candidate (thus forcing people living in such places to make an alternative choice). We believe this is a good addition to our polling methods; it will explain part of the further Ukip drop but perhaps not all of it

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/22/general-election-2017-theresa-may-social-care-fallout-politics-live?page=with:block-5922dcf1e4b03ddbc8d5be95#block-5922dcf1e4b03ddbc8d5be95
  • Options
    Strong and stable 47% from ICM still. (-1)

Labour up to 33% (+5)

Lib Dems down 1 to 9.

Still a huge majority if that is the case.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

That's usually released around 6pm I think...

Welsh polls seem to get inordinate amounts of attention on PB. There is something about Celtic polls that seems to appeal to the PB psyche.
  • Options

She is in danger of Pulling a Spieth here
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Despite her reputation, Thatcher swerved all the time, and this one was performed at top speed and with maximum impact - most of the hoohah will have settled down by election day, eliminating the Tories' biggest negative and letting the focus return to Corbyn.

May's probably lost 25 potential gains, but saved a solid win.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2017
    Mr HYUFD,

"Wrong, yougov yesterday had Cooper and Umunna doing slightly worse than Corbyn against May and Khan only matched Corbyn."

Irrelevant. If they had been leaders, Corbyn would have been shuffled off by now, and his erstwhile motorcycle pillion kept way from the stats. No one can take over once the Titanic has hit the iceberg full on.

A more orderly retreat to the lifeboats perhaps?

Can you see Kinnock letting Jezza and his barmy pals loose?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    The entire Lib Dem campaign has been tin eared from the start. Farage is not running and the election is Not about Brexit. How many times do they need to be told?
  • Options
    simmonitesimmonite Posts: 13
    Conservatives: 47% (down 1 from Guardian/ICM last week)

Labour: 33% (up 5)

Lib Dems: 9% (down 1)

Ukip: 4% (down 2)

Greens: 2% (down 1)

Conservative lead: 14 points (down 6)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Todays ICM

TMICIPM (BAL)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    CD13 said:

Mr HYUFD,

"Wrong, yougov yesterday had Cooper and Umunna doing slightly worse than Corbyn against May and Khan only matched Corbyn."

Irrelevant. If they had been leaders, Corbyn would have been shuffled off by now, and his erstwhile motorcycle pillion kept way from the stats. No one can take over once the Titanic has hit the iceberg full on.

A more orderly retreat to the lifeboats perhaps?

Can you see Kinnock letting Jezza and his barmy pals loose?

Except Corbyn had actually increased Labour's voteshare to 35% in the poll in question, Cooper and Umunna took Labour to 33% against May's Tories, Khan to 36% (though the Tories were up from 44% to 45% against Khan)
This discussion has been closed.