Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of 20 dead after what appears to be terrorist incident

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reports of 20 dead after what appears to be terrorist incident at Manchester concert

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    1st?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    2nd tho no great achievement
  • Options
    Andy Burnham now involved. Phew - what a relief.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Sounds awful.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Tim_B said:

I bow to no one in my distaste of that man - but really, not now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited May 2017
    This going to have a huge impact on the election. Labour are going to pay the price for offering up as our Prime Minister a guy who will be pilloried in coming days as the terrorists' friend.
  • Options
    People being shipped out to all the Greater Manchester A & Es, so they must be expecting big casualties.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Totally off topic, the Germans have today - for the first time since the creation of the Euro - acknowledged that low inflation has made it harder for peripheral countries to recover.

Guys, if you'd recognized this about seven years ago, an awful lot of human suffering might have been avoided.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2017

This going to have a huge impact on the election. Labour are going to pay the price for offering up as our Prime Minister a guy who will be pilloried in coming days as the terrorists' friend.

Not sure this is the time for GE talk, but I would think that a) all GE coverage is off for the rest of the week and b) I would think screaming terrorist sympathizer at Jezza (although true) might be now seen as in bad taste.
  • Options

I was thinking that - but felt now not the time to worry about the politics
  • Options
    Floater said:

Tim_B said:

I bow to no one in my distaste of that man - but really, not now.
    Yup - the timing sucks, but it's what the pols do.
  • Options

People being shipped out to all the Greater Manchester A & Es, so they must be expecting big casualties.

Bloody hell. That is a lot!
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

NBC reporter was saying 30 mins ago casualties were in the 100s.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
    Sarcasm 100% Pissed 0%
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nail bomb would cause loads of minor as well as major injuries, so does sound consistent with what we've heard.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
    Sarcasm 100% Pissed 0%
    Leave it for another day please.
  • Options
    Sky saying all emergency resources in Manchester are being sent to the arena.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Yep. Not really the time for this discussion, but I can imagine that the Tories will keep re running the interview when he expresses his uncertainty about shoot to kill.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Nail bomb would cause loads of minor as well as major injuries, so does sound consistent with what we've heard.
    Not great news. <Local hotels taking in unaccompanied kids. Big incident.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Theres something else going on elsewhere in Greater Manchester.

I said earlier that the suicide bomber idea was floated. Someone I know who is good at assessing this kind of stuff reckons its a matching MO for incident, location and planned targeting approach but that is an assessment not a fact.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    When France and Belgium in particular were on the receiving end of atrocities, I sensed in the media a degree of misplaced hubris about our own security services. There was even suggestion that our superior intelligence might be a bargaining chip in Brexit talks.

Recent events remind me of the IRA statement after the Brighton bombing: "remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."
  • Options
    Confirmed "shrapnel type injuries" ( for Yokel)
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I said earlier that the suicide bomber idea was floated. Someone I know who is good at assessing this kind of stuff reckons its a matching MO for incident, location and planned targeting approach but that is an assessment not a fact.

Oldham.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited May 2017

I was waiting to be seen at Rochdale hospital as this happened and at 11.30 we were all told that there had been a major incident with many expected casualties and to leave and come back tomorrow.

Utterly sickening news, and for me in the city where I live and work and having been to the Arena and Victoria many times without ever feeling vulnerable.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
    Sarcasm 100% Pissed 0%
    I take a dim view of politicians of any stripe muscling their way into this sort of thing.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    So sad. I remember the attacks in Manchester and Warrington when I was growing up. My neighbour was injured in Warrington, and it could have been anyone I knew or me, I was luckily playing a football tournament on that day.

I have to say that I couldn't fathom it when I was growing up, nor now, how people could do this sort of thing in the name of religion. Just senseless.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
    Sarcasm 100% Pissed 0%
    I take a dim view of politicians of any stripe muscling their way into this sort of thing.
    Its his job now, he's not muscling in and I'm no fan of his. Now is not a time for politics though I have certain thoughts running through my head right now about a certain individual they can wait for another day.
  • Options
    GMP statement soon.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Y0kel said:

Oldham.
    No, thats not it.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    Cnbc reporting suspected suicide bombing via U.S. intelligence briefing
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Horrible news from Manchester Arena tonight, made worse that it may involve many youngsters. Condolences to them and their families.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Y0kel said:

Oldham.
    Excitable rumours about an incident at a hospital.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Tony said:

Cnbc reporting suspected suicide bombing via U.S. intelligence briefing

The US media seem to be well ahead on this story. I don't know if British media are just being extra extra cautious on reporting on this or if US intelligence have info.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    camel said:

When France and Belgium in particular were on the receiving end of atrocities, I sensed in the media a degree of misplaced hubris about our own security services. There was even suggestion that our superior intelligence might be a bargaining chip in Brexit talks.

Recent events remind me of the IRA statement after the Brighton bombing: "remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."

reminded me of the sun headline: "Your money or your lives"
    Not looking so clever now.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

OUT said:

Tim_B said:

Are you pissed?
    Sarcasm 100% Pissed 0%
    Its his job now, he's not muscling in and I'm no fan of his. Now is not a time for politics though I have certain thoughts running through my head right now about a certain individual they can wait for another day.
    I agree. Not really a fan of Burnham but it is his time to step up. He has a strategic role to link police and health service and local council approaches, and a moral duty to encourage calm, praise heroes and helpful citizens, plan for the future.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Floater said:

OUT said:

Y0kel said:

Oldham.

Oldham Council has denied this is happening.
  • Options
    19 dead, 50 injured from GMP statement.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    19 dead ffs
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2017
    19 people dead according to GMP. 50 injured. Being treated as a terrorist incident. - Sky News
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Floater said:

OUT said:

Y0kel said:

Oldham.

Oldham Council has denied this is happening.
    As I say excitable rumours

I literally weep for our dead
  • Options
    I am sure Burnham will do fine. He is a long time professional career politician and a minister when incidents have occurred. I am sure he can handle the job of mayor in such a situation.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

How some people's first thoughts during incidents like this can be political is beyond me.

That your side were already nailed on to win the GE makes it even worse.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    I was at the Arena 14 days ago watching Iron Maiden. Brilliant gig, great evening with friends and so many fans. That 2 weeks later some other people have been slaughtered at their gig is too awful to contemplate.

This is not a time for politics.
  • Options

So sad. I remember the attacks in Manchester and Warrington when I was growing up. My neighbour was injured in Warrington, and it could have been anyone I knew or me, I was luckily playing a football tournament on that day.

I have to say that I couldn't fathom it when I was growing up, nor now, how people could do this sort of thing in the name of religion. Just senseless.

I lived and worked in London during the 70s IRA bombing campaign. You just got on with life and heard the 'WHUMP' of the explosions in the distance. I remember Leila Khaled who hijacked 2 planes from Heathrow from memory.

Apparently 19 dead, unknown injured.
  • Options

Bugger, much worse than I feared.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Awful. Targeting children too.. whoever the perpetrators are have a special place in hell reserved for them.
  • Options

Bugger, much worse than I feared.
    Fox echoes those numbers
  • Options
    RIP to all the victims and condolences to their families.

Also condolences to those with loved ones who have been injured.
  • Options
    This is just ghastly.

Poor innocents.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    In situations like this , if you want fast but ofetn inaccurate news then listen to CNN, NBC etc. If you want verifiable but late news then listen to BBC. I find SKY News is suually between the two and what I try to watch.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

19 people died according to GMP - Sky News

Jesus, that's horrendous. This is the worst terrorist incident in the UK since 2005.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Idiots on Twitter spreading false rumours of a man with a gun in Oldham hospital
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

Jesus, that's horrendous. This is the worst terrorist incident in the UK since 2005.
    Amazing it took 12 years, to be honest.
  • Options
    Suicide bomber looks 90% sadly.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I was at the Arena 14 days ago watching Iron Maiden. Brilliant gig, great evening with friends and so many fans. That 2 weeks later some other people have been slaughtered at their gig is too awful to contemplate.

I saw them a couple of years ago...they can still do it.

Bit of light relief, about 15 years ago I was returning from Portugal. The plane was supposed to Monarch, but for some reason was it was a charter airline called Astraeus, Over the intercom this distinctive voice rang out...hello my name is Bruce Dickinson and I will be your captain today...you say what...
  • Options

May I just commend your sentiments and your taste in music

• Options
    Bugger. That is all for now,
  • Options
    RobD said:

Awful. Targeting children too.. whoever the perpetrators are have a special place in hell reserved for them.

They will have to watch endless Barney the dinosaur videos.
  • Options

Absolutely.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    RobD said:

Or heaven/virgins. Madness.
  • Options

How some people's first thoughts during incidents like this can be political is beyond me.

This is a betting site. This terrible event has betting implications. Harsh, but there will be consequences of this action. And I don't see how how any of them are good for Jeremy Corbyn, being offered up as our next Prime Minister.

But I am not placing bets, to cash in. That would seem particularly distasteful.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

The Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain) shows a reducing number of terrorist incidents by decade, but that - when they occur - they are much more deadly.
  • Options
    Incident took part OUTSIDE the venue in a public space.
  • Options

I saw them a couple of years ago...they can still do it.

Bit of light relief, about 15 years ago I was returning from Portugal. The plane was supposed to Monarch, but for some reason was it was a charter airline called Astraeus, Over the intercom this distinctive voice rang out...hello my name is Bruce Dickinson and I will be your captain today...you say what...
    Yeah - he is a qualified airline pilot

Friend of mine once dated a girl who had dated one of Maidens other lead singers

Stories :-)
  • Options
    Watching BBC World News and Fox News concurrently. Fox's coverage (with Sky) is better than th Beeb
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

Not for want of trying on their part

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    jonny83 said:

19 people dead according to GMP. 50 injured. Being treated as a terrorist incident. - Sky News

Fuck
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

The Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain) shows a reducing number of terrorist incidents by decade, but that - when they occur - they are much more deadly.
    Nate Silver covered this in this Signal and the Noise book - there is a strong power law relationship between the number of casualties and the frequency of such incidents
  • Options
    Horrific. Was just checking the news channels before bed as this broke. Am rather worried that if those death and injury numbers have been officially issued already, they are only likely to rise and possibly by a lot. Both sad and sick in about equal measure.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Corbyn has his Andrew Neil interview on the 26th.
  • Options
    An attack that will turn children's hair white.

You just wonder.
  • Options

Horrific. Was just checking the news channels before bed as this broke. Am rather worried that if those death and injury numbers have been officially issued already, they are only likely to rise and possibly by a lot. Both sad and sick in about equal measure.

Yes, early numbers tend to rise so prepare for worse.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I lived and worked in London during the 70s IRA bombing campaign. You just got on with life and heard the 'WHUMP' of the explosions in the distance. I remember Leila Khaled who hijacked 2 planes from Heathrow from memory.

Apparently 19 dead, unknown injured.
    I was nowhere near either but remember being shocked that they were both places I had been to. I think that it is particularly difficult to post in the right manner. Obviously my thoughts go out to those affected, but most people will be thinking of the politics and how it will affect the election as well. I will go to bed before I say something inappropriate.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    I dont really want to make any political point - but if JC is aked for opinion on this bombing and then followed up by his opinion on Manchester IRA bombing or Warrington...it is unlikley he will come out of it well
  • Options

This is a betting site. This terrible event has betting implications. Harsh, but there will be consequences of this action. And I don't see how how any of them are good for Jeremy Corbyn, being offered up as our next Prime Minister.

But I am not placing bets, to cash in. That would seem particularly distasteful.
    Indeed, I wonder if some of the betting markets are suspended, but then I imagine some can't be. I'd feel dirty profiting off something like this but some possibly would. Unpleasant but true.
  • Options
    NBC say suicide bomber with rucksack bomb.
  • Options
    CBS News confirms a large group of young girls are among the 19 dead following alleged terror attack at Ariana Grande concert in England
  • Options
    CBS News confirms a large group of young girls are among the 19 dead following alleged terror attack at Ariana Grande concert in England
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    G M Police‏Verified account @gmpolice 1m1 minute ago
    More
    There will be a controlled explosion in Cathedral gardens shortly if you hearing anything don't be concerned.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Could the GE be suspended / delayed?
  • Options
    CBS News confirms there were two explosions at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, Englad - the devices contained nails.
  • Options

PB being a betting site doesn't mean that incidents like these are a time to think about politics, especially so soon after the incident.
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    GMP going to do a controlled explosion on a second suspected device - sounds lucky that it never went off to be honest.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

Look at the long list of prevented attacks. Thank you to those who help keep us safe.
  • Options

GMP going to do a controlled explosion on a second suspected device - sounds lucky that it never went off to be honest.

That could be anything. Some tramps carry bag of belongings will get blown up rather than risked.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No.
    It could couldn't it? It won't, but the Civil Contingencies Act gives the power to do that I thought?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No.
    It could couldn't it? It won't, but the Civil Contingencies Act gives the power to do that I thought?
    Remember the 2001 GE got delayed due to Foot & Mouth
  • Options
    nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

Look at the long list of prevented attacks. Thank you to those who help keep us safe.
    Its a good job nobody in the running to get control of the levers of power wants to get rid of the likes of MI5.
  • Options
    seeing rumours from States of up to 30 dead
  • Options

nunu said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

jonny83 said:

Its a good job nobody in the running to get control of the levers of power wants to get rid of the likes of MI5.
    Not now, not now
  • Options
    I'll be in the city centre on Wednesday, along with thousands of others watching United in Stockholm, it's going to be a very strange atmosphere.
  • Options
    Floater said:

seeing rumours from States of up to 30 dead

I think we have to prepare ourselves for the number of dead to rise, it always does. NBC said pretty quickly 20+ dead and 100s injured.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No.
    That took an Act of Parliament from memory. Parliament's been dissolved so there can't be a new Act of Parliament so it would require either an existing Act like the Civil Contingencies Act or some other power to be invoked.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No.
    Preventing the spread of contagion is slightly different from an isolated incident.
  • Options
    Press conference by GMP at 2. I'd expect worse news.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Some reports now of shrapnel and nails. The death toll could rise.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No.
    Preventing the spread of contagion is slightly different from an isolated incident.
    I'm not trying to claim that this incident will or should delay the GE, just pointing out that there is a precedent for short notice postponements of elections
This discussion has been closed.