Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 campaign suspended though what that means is hard to sa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 campaign suspended though what that means is hard to say

Juncker: "We will work side by side… to fight back against those who seek to destroy our way of life" #manchester https://t.co/mYk0A2gIEN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Shameful
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Shameful

Second, and seconded.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    edited May 2017
    Third

Yes, I have just had the email telling me the national LibDem campaign is suspended, and asking that all local activity cease likewise. As far as the national campaign is concerned, we are probably better off if it stays suspended thru June 9th.

The national freepost deliveries are easy to suspend - one instruction from Royal Mail HQ telling Delivery Offices not to send their posties out with them and the job is done. They are kept separate at the DO - they don't come through with the ordinary mail.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Is a comment from a random foreigner the most appropriate tweet to head this thread?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    You know what, Trump's response to this is actually exactly right. These people are losers, and they need to be driven out of our society.
  • Options

You know what, Trump's response to this is actually exactly right. These people are losers, and they need to be driven out of our society.

They are, to use a Trumpism, "sad"
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Suspending the national campaigns is the right thing to do. We did the same unilaterally in Wakefield and Hemsworth Conservatives early this morning. I've since had an e-mail from the regional campaign office, with an attachment I can't open on my mobile, but which I assume instructs a cessation of campaigning at a local level too.

I don't intend to comment further on this. I'm sure others will discuss the implications, which on a betting site is fair enough, but I'm not in the mood for it.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Agree with that. We should start calling them 'cowardly criminals'. Take the glamour away.

Absolute bastards. The children were near the merchandising area. It's terrible.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

PB is not the place for me today.

My first and only thoughts today are with victims and families.

Really cannot understand those respected posters who within a few hours of hearing the news wish to make Political Capital.

My view is thats disgusting but I don't want to get dragged down to their level so will go elsewhere for the day.

It is not making political capital to point to the very significant implications, during a general election, that an act of political terrorism might have for one political leader whose reputation has been severely damaged by his own reactions to terrorist related issues down the decades.

It is reality.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Really cannot understand those respected posters who within a few hours of hearing the news wish to make Political Capital.

My view is thats disgusting but I don't want to get dragged down to their level so will go elsewhere for the day.

It is not making political capital to point to the very significant implications, during a general election, that an act of political terrorism might have for one political leader whose reputation has been severely damaged by his own reactions to terrorist related issues down the decades.

It is reality.
    You seem to misunderstand the meaning of "making political capital". Whether the accusation is "real" or not is irrelevant.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

I struggle with how some people are speculating on the political ramifications of this. Some kids went to a concert and aren't coming home again. Others have suffered gratuitous injuries. This event is NOT something where "Corbyn's in trouble now" fantasies are appropriate. Or May's in trouble for that matter given that ISIS operate regardless of who is in power.

This isn't the IRA, and comparisons to that civil war are lazy. With ISIS there is no-one to negotiate with. No rational cause. No army to target. These suicide bombers are so often radicalised citizens of the state they then attack. There will be a solution to this, and that solution will be talking rather than bombing.

Well said.
    Utter nonsense.

This terrorist outrage is a political act and those who think there are no political implications are completely deluded.

The harsh and undoubted reality is that there is only one political leader who will be dangling in the wind through to polling day and his name is Corbyn.

Over the coming days and weeks as the spotlight moves from the initial outrage through to interviews with relatives of the dead and injured and injured themselves and funerals, the nation will be confronted with the weasel words of Jezza on terrorist outrages in the UK and overseas down the decades. Aided and abetted by his Shadow Home Secretary - Diane Abbott

ISIS Manchester Arena Bombing 2017
    IRA Manchester Arndale Bombing 1996

The political juxtaposition is devastating.
    Disgusting post you are an ARSE
    If it's disgusting to state the truth of Corbyn's perfidy then I happily plead guilty.

In the light of last nights terrorist attack you as a Labour partisan may wish to dance on a pinhead to avoid confronting Corbyn's past and the implications of it for the general election.

So be it.
    What is the truth Jack w can you spell it out .So we are all clear .
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623934/ex-ira-killer-says-jeremy-corbyns-solidarity-encouraged-vicious-campaign-of-violence-and-without-his-support-terrorist-murders-and-torture-would-have-ended-much-earlier/
    Carletta I was asking JackW as I respect what he thinks not the sun.As the sun is not a trustworthy source as many in Liverpool and Northern England are aware.
    The Sun are quoting a former IRA member:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    We can only hope that this was an isolated attack and not the first of a coordinated series between now and election day.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

It is reality.
    You seem to misunderstand the meaning of "making political capital". Whether the accusation is "real" or not is irrelevant.
    Incorrect.

The implication of "making political capital" is a deliberate and unworthy attempt to seek advantage.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

We can only hope that this was an isolated attack and not the first of a coordinated series between now and election day.

Indeed.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I appreciate emotions are running high and I agree that general campaigning should pause but I'm afraid I DO want to see May and Corbyn today. I want to see how the two PM candidates react to a national disaster.

Are they Chamberlin or Churchill?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    GeoffM said:

Is a comment from a random foreigner the most appropriate tweet to head this thread?

Britain's world class intelligence and security services were meant to be one of our Brexit bargaining chips so it seems appropriate.

Probably better than the Suns 'your money or your life' headline.
  • Options

I think its somewhere in the middle, it seems these people don't really coordinate but they're too frequent to be called isolated.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2017
    The problem is that the terrorist act itself was political, so there is no real way it can be divorced form the day-to-day politics of the General Election, or the beliefs of the participants.

It’s very sad. The election was already depressing enough.

After a respite to allow tempers to cool, it seems completely inevitable that this terrorist act will become embroiled in the Election.

JackW is simply stating the logical conclusion & the consequences.

• Options

I appreciate emotions are running high and I agree that general campaigning should pause but I'm afraid I DO want to see May and Corbyn today. I want to see how the two PM candidates react to a national disaster.

May in 30-60 mins after COBRA in Downing Street. Corbyn, sometime after I would expect for a statement to the cameras.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Just horrible news. Sadly, the news is going to get a lot worse as we learn the identities of those killed - it's going to be very heartbreaking.

As for political consequences, there obviously will be but that is for another time.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. D, preventing every attack is impossible.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

GeoffM said:

Britain's world class intelligence and security services were meant to be one of our Brexit bargaining chips so it seems appropriate.

Given it's been twelve years since the last bombing I'd say they are doing a pretty good job.
  • Options
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

It is reality.
    Incorrect.

The implication of "making political capital" is a deliberate and unworthy attempt to seek advantage.
    Correct.

Your posts are deliberate and unworthy, and seek advantage. Whether they are based on truth, or not, is irrelevant. As I said.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    GeoffM said:

Some things supercede things like nationality. I see nothing inappropriate about the leader of a powerful political bloc of which we are currently still members making a message of solidarity and support.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    FPT:

In defence of politicisation of these issues - I take the view that when there is a mass shooting in the US, all the NRA people saying that 'today is not the time for politics' or accusing the democrats of making political capital out of the shootings is pretty disgusting in my mind, because it just stops discussing the problems at hand. I have a feeling many people are the same as me in this regard.

Therefore, I cannot oppose the politicisation of other attacks - terrorism should be open for politicisation just as much as other issues. I happen to disagree with those on here who link the issue to Corbyn's IRA failings, I don't think this will massively affect his campaign. But you can't pretend these issues don't have a political aspect.
  • Options
    RobD said:

May in 30-60 mins after COBRA in Downing Street. Corbyn, sometime after I would expect for a statement to the cameras.
    This will be the defining moments of their campaign, social care becomes irrelevant.

Let's see what they're made of.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

How are they losing? The percentage of muslims in western states increases every year. That's winning.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    JackW said:

It is reality.
    No, I'm with BigJohnOwls.

This is all for another day. The debate can wait.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

How are they losing? The percentage of muslims in western states increases every year. That's winning.
    Only if you equate terrorism directly with the Muslim faith which thankfully most people do not.

Edit: and even there I have allowed myself to be sucked into your mistake of immediately assuming the attacker was Muslim. That may well be the case but the assumption based on no evidence is also we.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    murali_s said:

Just horrible news. Sadly, the news is going to get a lot worse as we learn the identities of those killed - it's going to be very heartbreaking.

As for political consequences, there obviously will be but that is for another time.

Agreed I remember the elation of winning the Olympics for London one day , then the despair the day after with 7/ 7.The response from the government and the Mayor of London seemed to speak for all London and the UK.
  • Options

RobD said:

This will be the defining moments of their campaign, social care becomes irrelevant.

If this determines the result of the election, then the terrorists are winning. Of course national security is an important issue, but so are all of the other issues that we have been debating.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

I struggle with how some people are speculating on the political ramifications of this. Some kids went to a concert and aren't coming home again. Others have suffered gratuitous injuries. This event is NOT something where "Corbyn's in trouble now" fantasies are appropriate. Or May's in trouble for that matter given that ISIS operate regardless of who is in power.

This isn't the IRA, and comparisons to that civil war are lazy. With ISIS there is no-one to negotiate with. No rational cause. No army to target. These suicide bombers are so often radicalised citizens of the state they then attack. There will be a solution to this, and that solution will be talking rather than bombing.

Well said.
    Utter nonsense.

This terrorist outrage is a political act and those who think there are no political implications are completely deluded.

The harsh and undoubted reality is that there is only one political leader who will be dangling in the wind through to polling day and his name is Corbyn.

Over the coming days and weeks as the spotlight moves from the initial outrage through to interviews with relatives of the dead and injured and injured themselves and funerals, the nation will be confronted with the weasel words of Jezza on terrorist outrages in the UK and overseas down the decades. Aided and abetted by his Shadow Home Secretary - Diane Abbott

ISIS Manchester Arena Bombing 2017
    IRA Manchester Arndale Bombing 1996

The political juxtaposition is devastating.
    Disgusting post you are an ARSE
    If it's disgusting to state the truth of Corbyn's perfidy then I happily plead guilty.

In the light of last nights terrorist attack you as a Labour partisan may wish to dance on a pinhead to avoid confronting Corbyn's past and the implications of it for the general election.

So be it.
    What is the truth Jack w can you spell it out .So we are all clear .
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623934/ex-ira-killer-says-jeremy-corbyns-solidarity-encouraged-vicious-campaign-of-violence-and-without-his-support-terrorist-murders-and-torture-would-have-ended-much-earlier/
    Carletta I was asking JackW as I respect what he thinks not the sun.As the sun is not a trustworthy source as many in Liverpool and Northern England are aware.
    The Sun are quoting a former IRA member:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/
    You disgust me.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

FPT:

In defence of politicisation of these issues - I take the view that when there is a mass shooting in the US, all the NRA people saying that 'today is not the time for politics' or accusing the democrats of making political capital out of the shootings is pretty disgusting in my mind, because it just stops discussing the problems at hand. I have a feeling many people are the same as me in this regard.

Therefore, I cannot oppose the politicisation of other attacks - terrorism should be open for politicisation just as much as other issues. I happen to disagree with those on here who link the issue to Corbyn's IRA failings, I don't think this will massively affect his campaign. But you can't pretend these issues don't have a political aspect.

I’d agree if it was just the IRA.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

RobD said:

If this determines the result of the election, then the terrorists are winning. Of course national security is an important issue, but so are all of the other issues that we have been debating.
    Security trumps everything else.

Without security you have nothing.
  • Options

RobD said:

This site is for politicos, the wider electorate go by gut feeling - can I vote for this person to govern the country? A penny on income tax is nothing when compared to the slaughter of children.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Correct.

Your posts are deliberate and unworthy, and seek advantage. Whether they are based on truth, or not, is irrelevant. As I said.

My posts are clearly deliberate but perhaps you might clarify why they are "unworthy" and why I would "seek advantage" for a particular party?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Dura_Ace said:

Only if you equate terrorism directly with the Muslim faith which thankfully most people do not.

Edit: and even there I have allowed myself to be sucked into your mistake of immediately assuming the attacker was Muslim. That may well be the case but the assumption based on no evidence is also we.
    Well, I am very bloody happy to correlate terrorism directly with the Muslim faith (as are you, subject to your afterthought; you were right first time).
  • Options

RobD said:

There is a balance between liberty and security. I would not want to live in a secure totalitarian state.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Agree with that. We should start calling them 'cowardly criminals'. Take the glamour away.

Absolute bastards. The children were near the merchandising area. It's terrible.
    Fenster use criminals and any other word you like for their despicable acts However I never think cowards is the correct wording.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone upset that people are considering the party political implications of what seems to be a major terrorist attack in the middle of a general election campaign is probably on the wrong website today. I can completely understand why people might not feel able to since I'm among their number, so I'll give today a miss on here. That's not a criticism of those who feel differently, because it is a legitimate subject for discussion.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    This is a totally unnecessary election and a waste of public money. I know some will say if the election is cancelled that means the bomber has won, but I think this is the best we can do, after all there may be more planned in the next 2 weeks and all the security on the election can be added to counter the attackers whoever they may be. Cancel the election I say.
  • Options

It's no good relying on hope.

What is needed is the capability to weed out the potential criminals before they can strike.

We can narrow down the search to Muslims.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Dura_Ace said:

I get the whiff of the Rotherham investigation here. "Can't identify the nationality/religion of the perpetrators"
  • Options
    theakes said:

This is a totally unnecessary election and a waste of public money. I know some will say if the election is cancelled that means the bomber has won, but I think this is the best we can do, after all there may be more planned in the next 2 weeks and all the security on the election can be added to counter the attackers whoever they may be. Cancel the election I say.

Cost of running the election is probably microscopic compared to the security budget.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, I am very bloody happy to correlate terrorism directly with the Muslim faith (as are you, subject to your afterthought; you were right first time).
    Nope I was answering the assumption made by Dura_Ace and if you equate terrorism and Islam in the way he did (the terrorists are winning because Islam is growing in Europe) then frankly you are a bloody fool
  • Options

RobD said:

There is a balance between liberty and security. I would not want to live in a secure totalitarian state.

Would you rather live in Turkey or Libya?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Trump's found the right words today :

LOSERS
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

You disgust me.

Those who back terrorists who try to murder children and others disgust me.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Dura_Ace said:

I get the whiff of the Rotherham investigation here. "Can't identify the nationality/religion of the perpetrators"
    Not at all. I am sure it will be revealed very quickly. But making the kind of offensive connections that Dura just made helps no one.
  • Options

You disgust me.

It's in today's newspaper. It's not my fault you don't like it.

The IRA (and their apologists) disgust me - I (and the PM) lost a friend to them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump's found the right words today :

LOSERS

I love the way he says it, too.
  • Options

RobD said:

As the old saying goes he who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

RobD said:

I think having a cohesive society trumps everything. Security is a big part of that but not the only part.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    JonathanD said:

GeoffM said:

The idea that our security forces are no good because of 1 missed suspect isn't relevant here.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, indeed.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

RT is nevertheless right (in addition to his very sensible edit) to point out that "winning" and "losing" isn't to do with the ethnic or religious mix of the population. It's the propensity of the muslims who are already here to take up Islamist ideology in arms against "the West" that we must focus on. Those advocating simplistic solutions need to consider what will be the likely effect of the actions they advocate.

For once the parallel with the IRA is relevant; the 'persecution'. through discrimination, exclusion and violence, of the catholic population clearly didn't starve the IRA of recruits; indeed interviews with former members indicate that in many cases being on the receiving end of such during their teenage years is the reason many give for their joining. History is littered with examples of such failures.

• Options
    theakes said:

Are you mad? The terrorists have won unequivocally if we opt out of democracy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

RobD said:

Most totalitarian states aren't secure, they are just better at hiding the news....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Morning all,

Shocked at what happened in Manchester last night. Hearts go out to all the victims (a lot of them are going to be very young as well) and their families.

On the political side (and it seems nasty to say this) but this almost certainly stops Jezza's mini-revival in its tracks.

But we have more important things to worry about today...
  • Options
    theakes said:

You are correct. The terrorists would have won.

What would stop terrorists acting in a similar fashion during the new general election ..... and so on?
  • Options

RobD said:

Alastair did a piece on that last year re the referendum:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/14/alastair-meels-looks-at-the-theory-of-referendum-motivation/
  • Options

RobD said:

Indeed. "Security" has been used to justify some terrible things through history. On its own it is an incomplete argument.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2017
    theakes said:

You are mad. Of course that would mean the bombers had won. It would be a national surrender to them.
  • Options

RobD said:

Would you rather live in Turkey or Libya?
    No. I'll stick with the UK. Or any other western democracy.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347
    Utterly horrifying news. On the political effects, I think the main one will be that when the campaigns start up again it will cool temperatures. The Tories and their press allies will be more careful about linking Corbyn to the IRA lest they be accused of crass opportunism. Likewise, the head of steam that was building on the left about May's alleged character flaws will dissipate as even the most partisan recognise the difficulty and importance of reacting well to events like these. It's a lot more difficult to hurl insults when there's more horrific things going on.

We know from the past that barring a cock-up (Bush, Katrina) coping with tragedies, terrorist outrages or otherwise, tend to politically help those tasked with coping with them. Which is fair enough really, as doing so proves a politician can perform the first duty of leader - to lead the nation against threats to our safety.

Thoughts with all those who were either at the Manchester Arena or were left worried about loved ones there.
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're happy?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

RobD said:

I think having a cohesive society trumps everything. Security is a big part of that but not the only part.

If a group of people are at war with you, you have to give that priority.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Yorkcity said:

Fenster said:

Fenster use criminals and any other word you like for their despicable acts However I never think cowards is the correct wording.
    I agree. Whatever else they may be terrorists are seldom cowards, and throwing the word about just renders it meaningless.

Just plain "criminals" would do, surely?

Though I also agree that Trump of all people seems to have found the mot juste. Odd that.
  • Options

RobD said:

Which is a fallacy anyway. The most deadly terrorist attacks in recent years have come in countries with authoritarian governments - though it is partly chicken-and-egg where terrorists already exist, and the most totalitarian countries the biggest terrorist is the state itself.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    theakes said:

But wouldnt that be the case whenever the election would be called?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

My posts are clearly deliberate but perhaps you might clarify why they are "unworthy" and why I would "seek advantage" for a particular party?
    I worry that you cannot see how seeking to use the murder of innocent teenagers, just hours after the event, the victims as yet unidentified and for reasons still unknown, to advance your argument for not voting for a particular party in the coming election is both seeking advantage and unworthy.

Your original post has already attracted sufficient responses to indicate you are fighting a losing battle with this one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

I worry that you cannot see how seeking to use the murder of innocent teenagers, just hours after the event, the victims as yet unidentified and for reasons still unknown, as an argument for not voting for a particular party in the coming election is both seeking advantage and unworthy.

Your original post has already attracted sufficient responses to indicate you are fighting a losing battle with this one.
    Looks quite balanced in those that agree/disagree.
  • Options
    COBRA meeting over.
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting that totalitarian states ARE secure, merely highlighting the value of liberty in addition to security.

I really hope that May does not use the phrase 'Strong and Stable' in her statement today. Not today.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,310
    edited May 2017
    By coincidence I happen to be reading The Looming Tower - Al Qaeda's Road To 9/11 by Lawrence Wright. I am sure there will be other PBers who will confirm what an excellent account of the background to Islamic Terrorism this is.

Anybody reading it will have their understanding of the source of such outrages greatly enhanced. This particular reader was to surprised however to find himself reacting not with less disdain but more towards the perpetrators. They are not a single body, and vary hugely in character and outlook, but you cannot be struck by the prevalence of intolerance, self-indulgence and often downright childishness amongst the culprits.

It is right we should try to understand. Understanding always helps, but it need not imply indulgence.

Btw, I should add that it is not yet known what the religion or background of the culprit was. We are entitled to suspect Islam, on the evidence of similar previous attacks, but for the moment it would be as well not to jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    BBC have just shown a big screen saying PRAY FOR MANCHESTER.

ffs if praying worked this wouldn't have happened
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

JonathanD said:

RobD said:

If a group of people are at war with you, you have to give that priority.
    Well, surely if security and safety trump everything, you should instantly surrender in any war.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Fenster said:

I agree. Whatever else they may be terrorists are seldom cowards, and throwing the word about just renders it meaningless.

Just plain "criminals" would do, surely?

Though I also agree that Trump of all people seems to have found the mot juste. Odd that.
    Terrorists is the right word. We shouldn't shy from identifying why they were doing what they were doing. Indeed, only by doing so, and facing down that reasoning, do we win.
  • Options

RobD said:

Alastair did a piece on that last year re the referendum:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/14/alastair-meels-looks-at-the-theory-of-referendum-motivation/

Maslow's heirarchy of needs proposes that the first priority of people after breathing and eating is security - not social cohesiveness. :)

• Options

Keep calm and carry on would have been better IMO.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

I worry that you cannot see how seeking to use the murder of innocent teenagers, just hours after the event, the victims as yet unidentified and for reasons still unknown, to advance your argument for not voting for a particular party in the coming election is both seeking advantage and unworthy.

This site is to post regarding the politics, and the betting. I'd expect to be utterly lynched and defriended by alot of people if I posted such analysis onto Facebook.
    No this site is for hard headed thinking about what might happen on Betfair and other places.
    @JackW is entitled to his views on the consequences thereof.
    @MJW Has expressed well my thoughts on the consequences of this

"On the political effects, I think the main one will be that when the campaigns start up again it will cool temperatures. The Tories and their press allies will be more careful about linking Corbyn to the IRA lest they be accused of crass opportunism. Likewise, the head of steam that was building on the left about May's alleged character flaws will dissipate as even the most partisan recognise the difficulty and importance of reacting well to events like these. It's a lot more difficult to hurl insults when there's more horrific things going on."

Of course the attack is utterly disgusting and carried out by life's losers. But we all know that.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

Margaret Thatcher argued in 1985 against giving terrorists the oxygen of publicity.
    It's almost the best speech she gave. She argued that it couldn't be done by censorship. Indeed, that would be helping to do the bastards' work for them. Read her words.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

I wasn't suggesting that totalitarian states ARE secure, merely highlighting the value of liberty in addition to security.

I really hope that May does not use the phrase 'Strong and Stable' in her statement today. Not today.

She's not that silly.
  • Options

Yes - but which God should we pray to?
  • Options

She's not that silly.
    Well, last week gives me pause for thought.
  • Options

RobD said:

Margaret Thatcher argued in 1985 against giving terrorists the oxygen of publicity.
    It's almost the best speech she gave. She argued that it couldn't be done by censorship. Indeed, that would be helping to do the bastards' work for them. Read her words.
    Is that even feasible these days, given social media etc.?
  • Options

RobD said:

Which is a fallacy anyway. The most deadly terrorist attacks in recent years have come in countries with authoritarian governments - though it is partly chicken-and-egg where terrorists already exist, and the most totalitarian countries the biggest terrorist is the state itself.
    Yes exactly - North Korea has never suffered a terrorist attack on its soil, must be the most secure state there is. Still not a ringing endorsement to go live there.
  • Options
    Mr. D, I agree. Two hands working do more than a thousand clasped in prayer, as Napoleon said.
  • Options
    Ah, statement within the next few hours. So maybe not too imminent.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

Some things supercede things like nationality. I see nothing inappropriate about the leader of a powerful political bloc of which we are currently still members making a message of solidarity and support.
    Not that, with apologies: instead I was remarking about the odd use here of Junker's comment in preference to the reactions of many others - including elected heads of state.

If you're only going to pick a single response then there are plenty of better candidates would carry more legitimacy and relevance.

But it's a trivial niggle on my part and of no significance, so I'll leave it there.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,268

The problem is that the terrorist act itself was political, so there is no real way it can be divorced form the day-to-day politics of the General Election, or the beliefs of the participants.

It’s very sad. The election was already depressing enough.

After a respite to allow tempers to cool, it seems completely inevitable that this terrorist act will become embroiled in the Election.

JackW is simply stating the logical conclusion & the consequences.

"Crime is crime. It is NOT political!" - Maggie, 1981.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,310
    RobD said:

Following the London July bombings, Bertrand Delanoë, mayor of Paris, referred to the disappointment Parisians had felt at losing out the previous day on the city's Olympic bid. 'Yesterday', he said, 'we were competitors. Today, we're all Londoners".

It was very touching. Maybe today we can all be Mancunians.
  • Options

Well if you are Laurie Penny, you send your 'atheist prayers' (she tweeted that after the Westminster attack)

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/844588769177206784
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

I am not arguing for voting for any political party but expressing my view on the significant implications of the event for Corbyn.

This site exists for the discussion of such matters.

• Options

Well if you are Laurie Penny, you send your 'atheist prayers' (she tweeted that after the Westminster attack)

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/844588769177206784
    Ugh, totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017

She's not that silly.
    Going on recent form, I wouldn't be so sure.

4/1, perhaps?

Sorry. Inappropriate ;)
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

RobD said:

Following the London July bombings, Bertrand Delanoë, mayor of Paris, referred to the disappointment Parisians had felt at losing out the previous day on the city's Olympic bid. 'Yesterday', he said, 'we were competitors. Today, we're all Londoners".

Reminds me of a joke that did the rounds soon after about someone of the tube saying 'I knew the French were upset about the Olympic bid but this is ridiculous'

Shows British humour shines through in the greatest tragedy.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

I'd prefer it if politicians avoided all the "we stand with X" statements, and there weren't the hashtags, and we didn't illuminate building in the colours of flags. It all seems utterly banal, futile, and repetitive.
  • Options

RobD said:

Well said I remember driving to work hearing the word London on the radio announcing the Olympic bid.Then the terrible news the next day.
  • Options
    glw said:

RobD said:

I'd prefer it if politicians avoided all the "we stand with X" statements, and there weren't the hashtags, and we didn't illuminate building in the colours of flags. It all seems utterly banal, futile, and repetitive.
    So "Keep calm and #CarryOn" wouldn't work for you? :p
This discussion has been closed.