Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to the Labour party, stop sending Diane Abbott to do inte

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to the Labour party, stop sending Diane Abbott to do interviews for the rest of the campaign

I’ve only just caught up with the quite literally hair raising interview with Diane Abbott had on this morning’s The Andrew Marr show. If you can’t watch the video above here’s an excerpt from The Spectator.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

First ..... again!

Rigged!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Third like Alonso.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Nice to see a positive vision of the sunlit uplands we can expect from a Conservative government.

Has "Strong and Stable" been consigned to the bin now?

The manifesto was entitled 'Forward, Together'.

• Options
    It really is bizarre - she is the worst of all the performers, and yet there are other loyal figures they could send. She has single handedly been responsible for most negative parts of the Labour campaign to date.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2017
    Fourth like UKIP if they're lucky.

No unlucky.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    She has a degree from Cambridge!
  • Options
    As for your tip for Abbott as leader, I assume you were thinking if the trend of worse and worse leaders continues, she would be an obvious pick.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    For what it is worth, I've not been browsing anything political online (bar this) for the past week, and I've only seen Corbyn's IRA connections mentioned once. It will still take a while for this to filter through to the general consciousness.
  • Options

Maybe she is actually knowledgeable? Just not quick witted?
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    I think far more likely than hiding from view is her coming out fighting, blaming the criticism of her on racism or sexism or both, and thus multiplying the damage many-fold.
  • Options
    RobD said:

First ..... again!

Rigged!
    MI5 or the mods?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    kle4 said:

It really is bizarre - she is the worst of all the performers, and yet there are other loyal figures they could send. She has single handedly been responsible for most negative parts of the Labour campaign to date.

Sticking to his ideals in the face of adverse reality is something that Corbyn has relied on since he became an MP, why would he change now?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Also, with reference to the thread header, I'm seeing an awful lot of Diane Abbott 'memes' being shared on Facebook.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Could we maybe stop giving Labour advice for just a little while? Like, for the next 10 days? I hear AV is a pertinent topic on the doorsteps...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    Seamus Milne earns £100,000 a year. He went to Winchester. Not a great advert for our elite public schools, is he?
  • Options
    JonWC said:

I think far more likely than hiding from view is her coming out fighting, blaming the criticism of her on racism or sexism or both, and thus multiplying the damage many-fold.

Quite probable.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    If Starmer and Watson have any sense whatsoever, they'll steer well clear of this train crash. Why would they want to tarnish themselves with these lunatics any further than what they have already done?

Besides, Corbyn clearly wants his inner circle doing all the donkey work.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    JonWC said:

I'm surprised she hasn't already tried that tactic, to be honest. It's usually her first port of call.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Seamus Milne earns £100,000 a year. He went to Winchester. Not a great advert for our elite public schools, is he?

On the contrary, he's a great advert - living proof that, with help from a top school, even the most bone-headed can get on quite well in life.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

She is really poor .For someone with her experience on This week with Andrew Neil .Is she ill ?Hope I am wrong .Emily Thornberry is a lot more impressive .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nice to see a positive vision of the sunlit uplands we can expect from a Conservative government.

Subtitle: for a safe and secure society.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

On the contrary, he's a great advert - living proof that, with help from a top school, even the most bone-headed can get on quite well in life.
    And Balliol and a PPEist. What's there not to like?
  • Options
    TSE: "Also, can I apologise to anyone who followed my 100/1 tip earlier on this year on Diane Abbott being next Labour leader, what was I thinking? was I even thinking? ""

Well, should Corbyn, McDonnell and a few of their like-minded cronies all fall under the proverbial .... well, you never know.

What amazes me is that Abbott agrees to go on such programmes when she knows she's going to get the third degree. OK, perhaps not from Labour-supporting Marr, but even so it's not likely to be a bed of roses for her.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    If I was registered to vote in Abbott's seat I might be pulling a sicky on polling day.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

She is really poor .For someone with her experience on This week with Andrew Neil .Is she ill ?Hope I am wrong .Emily Thornberry is a lot more impressive .
    Certainly. I do not much like Thornberry, and she's had mistakes in the past, but she clearly has some quality and authority.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    FPT, Sandy Rentool, negative campaigning works when you have much to be negative about.

The Conservatives have clearly got their second wind.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Au contraire, the fact that he can finesse £100k a year out of a grammar school boy like Corbyn justifies every penny his parents spent on his education.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I am sure going to Winchester was not his choice. On the other hand, Abbott's son being sent to a private school................
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

You are docked 5 Tory party points - it was 'Our plan for a stronger Britain and a prosperous future'

I get no points as I have been rereading some bits of the manifestos, so have it open in front of me.
  • Options
    Why are there no public schools as we understand them in Germany ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    I'm not liking this dissing of former public schoolboys.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

You are docked 5 Tory party points - it was 'Our plan for a stronger Britain and a prosperous future'

I get no points as I have been rereading some bits of the manifestos, so have it open in front of me.
    I was pretty close... :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

But think of the controversies just from Memory

- sons education
    - racist tweets
    - police numbers
    - walking off stage into cupboard to laughter
    - comparing views on IRA to changing haircut

Doesn't seem clever to me!

Either they have no one else or they think she's doing fine
  • Options

The last minority it is ok to persecute - public schoolboys.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The war?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So sexist. What about the public schoolgirls? :p
  • Options

kle4 said:

- sons education
    - racist tweets
    - police numbers

I'm trying to imagine how she got through Cambridge and convinced people to let her become an MP, and had a longstanding gig as a political pundit where she presumably had to be coherent.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    surbiton said:

I think they were all east of the Oder.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT, Sandy Rentool, negative campaigning works when you have much to be negative about.

They've ditched the "Brexit Election"

They've ditched Strong and Stable

They've ditched May as the new Thatcher

They're even ditched their manifesto

All they've got left is 'We're not as awful as the other lot'

If that is their second wind, I know which orifice it is being emitted from.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    kle4 said:

It's true, I've been more persecuted in this country for being former public schoolboy than the colour of my skin/notional religion.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Labour are the party of traitors.

Let's go with that one.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    kle4 said:

I know This Week isn't that much of a guide but when she regularly appeared on there up to a few years ago she was quick-witted, knowledgeable and a fair match for Portillo and Andrew Neil. 2017 has been disastrous for her starting with the infamous missed vote a couple of months ago. What is it - drink, an unspecified illness I don't know but even the Corbynistas must realise she's a massive liability. Amber Rudd knocked spots off her shortly afterwards
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

- sons education
    - racist tweets
    - police numbers

I'm trying to imagine how she got through Cambridge and convinced people to let her become an MP, and had a longstanding gig as a political pundit where she presumably had to be coherent.
    She was on This Week only because she was not Labour establishment.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Perhaps so, but it will work.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Let's go with that one.
    Little on the nose perhaps. particularly with millions and millions of people voting for them even in a worst case scenario.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Let's go with that one.
    ...............the last refuge of the scoundrel !
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Let's go with that one.
    L is for Labour, L is for Lice.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

- sons education
    - racist tweets
    - police numbers

She was on This Week only because she was not Labour establishment.
    Well sure, but they would have found someone else to book if she was just terrible, i assumed.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Jason said:

If Starmer and Watson have any sense whatsoever, they'll steer well clear of this train crash. Why would they want to tarnish themselves with these lunatics any further than what they have already done?

I should imagine most of the xPLP moderates would would go along with that. Pay out the rope...

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/868859435401261058

An interesting bit of politicking from Germany. Their election is shortly due. Sounds more like the Brexit election than our own.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

TSE: "Also, can I apologise to anyone who followed my 100/1 tip earlier on this year on Diane Abbott being next Labour leader, what was I thinking? was I even thinking? ""

Well, should Corbyn, McDonnell and a few of their like-minded cronies all fall under the proverbial .... well, you never know.

What amazes me is that Abbott agrees to go on such programmes when she knows she's going to get the third degree. OK, perhaps not from Labour-supporting Marr, but even so it's not likely to be a bed of roses for her.

Agrees!!? She wants to be on TV - all the time. That's the deal - Corbyn lurks and shows how wise he is by stroking his beard, McDonnell writes policy, and Abbott is the face of trio. That really is the arrangement. Thornberry isn't trusted enough to be in this gang.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

Jason said:

I should imagine most of the xPLP moderates would would go along with that. Pay out the rope...

From what I have seen locally, moderate Labour have been busy working their constituencies.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,412

surbiton said:

The war?
    Also, isn't German state education highly selective? Maybe takes some of the attraction of it away?
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Rough old game, politics.

• Options

Prodicus said:

Jason said:

From what I have seen locally, moderate Labour have been busy working their constituencies.
    Wasn't there the accusation that Fox was hiding, when in reality he too had simply been busy campaigning?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Prodicus said:

Jason said:

And most of them privately agree with everything in the Tory videos on Corbyn and Abbott.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Sean_F said:

all of that and yet

despite a shite campaign and the black swan event in Manchester shes still fimrly in the lead

which sort of says the bulk of voters have already made up their minds and the next week and a half are just hot air to amuse the journos
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Let's go with that one.
    L is for Labour, L is for Lice.
    unfair to lice
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has more sympathy for the IRA than British soldiers. Should he be our Prime Minister?

Job done.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The speed controls on YouTube are very useful when you've only got 2 minutes to watch a 4 minute video.
  • Options
    I've closed half my sell position on the Tories at 381 seats, thereby making a 20 seat profit. I suspect with all the personal bashing directed at Corbyn, McDonnell & Abbott, the polls may move at least a few seats back in favour of the Blue Team. If not, then it really does promise to be closer than we thought come June 8. I propose selling the remaining 50% of my position if/when the Tories slip below 375 or rise above 385 seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

An interesting bit of politicking from Germany. Their election is shortly due. Sounds more like the Brexit election than our own.

I cant help but think her next term will be her downfall

shes just hung on too long
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    AndyJS said:

The speed controls on YouTube are very useful when you've only got 2 minutes to watch a 4 minute video.

@scrapheap_as_was will be delighted to hear that. No longer does he have to spend 10 hours watching the 2015 election coverage.. he can watch it all at 100x speed :D
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Alonso leads the 500, with 60 laps to go!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Norm said:

kle4 said:

I know This Week isn't that much of a guide but when she regularly appeared on there up to a few years ago she was quick-witted, knowledgeable and a fair match for Portillo and Andrew Neil. 2017 has been disastrous for her starting with the infamous missed vote a couple of months ago. What is it - drink, an unspecified illness I don't know but even the Corbynistas must realise she's a massive liability. Amber Rudd knocked spots off her shortly afterwards
    Totally agree she seems different to her appearances on This week .In a boxing match you would throw the towel in to stop further punishment .I hope she is ok but as you say it reminds me of Charles Kennedy when the Lib Dems asked him to stand down.
  • Options

Power has gone to her head. It's rather cheeky of her to criticise the USA when her country doesn't pay its fair share towards NATO.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The demographic of potential pupils ceased to exist - they fought bravely and died. I don't know if there were such institutions pre-1914, or even pre-1939.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Power has gone to her head. It's rather cheeky of her to criticise the USA when her country doesn't pay its fair share towards NATO.
    RoyalBlue said:

well if shes going to have a measty foreign policy it will be interesting see what happens when the bodybags turn up in Wiesbaden and Lubeck.

To date Germany has ridden the coat tails of the USA
  • Options

Forecasts of doom for Merkel, The Eurozone and the EU are as perennial on PB as ever.

Strangely, always at some indeterminate time in the future...
  • Options
    Sir_GeoffSir_Geoff Posts: 41
    That she manages to appear condescending whilst out of her depth is an achievement of sorts.
  • Options
    Sir_Geoff said:

That she manages to appear condescending whilst out of her depth is an achievement of sorts.

It's that aspect of her style that riles me up the most.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

He was caught out on that restart. Getting to the business end and there are a fair few strategies in play.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    edited May 2017

Deleted. I see I've been beaten to it by Ishmael
  • Options

She is absolutely brilliant !
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Forecasts of doom for Merkel, The Eurozone and the EU are as perennial on PB as ever.

and like all forecasts at some point they will be correct

all political careers end in failure
  • Options

I've closed half my sell position on the Tories at 381 seats, thereby making a 20 seat profit. I suspect with all the personal bashing directed at Corbyn, McDonnell & Abbott, the polls may move at least a few seats back in favour of the Blue Team. If not, then it really does promise to be closer than we thought come June 8. I propose selling the remaining 50% of my position if/when the Tories slip below 375 or rise above 385 seats.

The one reason for holding off today in closing my entire spread position is on account of the Survation poll due out tomorrow at some stage. Their last survey was somewhat unfriendly at the time towards the Tories, showing them down 5 percentage points iirc, and I suspect we may get more of the same from them tomorrow, when I'm expecting a Tory lead of not more than 5% at best.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    calum said:
    And the IRA attack on Manchester?
  • Options

Meanwhile the pound slips 17% since the birth of the Euro.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

surbiton said:

The demographic of potential pupils ceased to exist - they fought bravely and died. I don't know if there were such institutions pre-1914, or even pre-1939.
    The most recent figure that I can find for private education in Germany is 7.7% of pupils but growing quickly. I think this is much the same as the UK.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2011/07/priv-j05.html?view=article_mobile
  • Options

Deleted. I see I've been beaten to it by Ishmael
    True enough, he makes £55k p.a. tube drivers look like exploited paupers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Brexit has united the elite in Europe and they are going to make another significant push for proper Federalism. Including Treaty change. Non-eurozone members will be told to get in the euro, and quick, or get out.

It is the one best option for the EU in the long term. Trouble is I don't think many of the voters want it. The Dutch definitely don't. The French voters probably don't. Germans don't want to pay the debts of the PIIGS.

How do they square the circle?
    By ensuring the alternative seems even worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

Brexit has united the elite in Europe and they are going to make another significant push for proper Federalism. Including Treaty change. Non-eurozone members will be told to get in the euro, and quick, or get out.

It is the one best option for the EU in the long term. Trouble is I don't think many of the voters want it. The Dutch definitely don't. The French voters probably don't. Germans don't want to pay the debts of the PIIGS.

they cant

Trump could have a bit of fun at the next G7 by telling the EU to act as one so Fr Ger and It can fuck off and they can then decide who to send to represent them all
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    On topic. It's not really an option for the shadow Home Secretary to be hidden away in the present circumstances. People, quite reasonably, want to hear from the woman who would be in charge of the security services if Labour won.
  • Options
    SWRSWR Posts: 3
    This is yet another example of why Labour must not get in UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - they are a useless, hopeless, cretinous, idiotic bunch of individuals who are unable to run a bath let alone the fifth biggest economy on the planet !!! PLEASE GOD CAN EVERYBODY SEE SENSE and don't fall for the pathetic, shameless bunch of dangerously unworkable policies !
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    what was I thinking? was I even thinking?

Smoking ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

He was caught out on that restart. Getting to the business end and there are a fair few strategies in play.
    Yeah, he got caught napping there as the race went green. As you say, lots of strategy and fuel saving going on, the timing of another yellow could make a huge difference to the outcome. US ESPN commentators are doing a good job of educating an occasional audience about the various strategies in play.
  • Options
    SWR said:

This is yet another example of why Labour must not get in UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - they are a useless, hopeless, cretinous, idiotic bunch of individuals who are unable to run a bath let alone the fifth biggest economy on the planet !!! PLEASE GOD CAN EVERYBODY SEE SENSE and don't fall for the pathetic, shameless bunch of dangerously unworkable policies !

Oh don't worry - it wouldn't be the fifth biggest economy for much longer.
  • Options

But not yet. She will stay as Chancellor for the forseable. She is a formidable Iron Lady.

My point is that this is the backdrop to our opening Brexit talks.

No deal nailed on IMO. Perhaps DD should do some contingency planning before it hits. Just friendly advice.
  • Options
    SWR said:

Have you considered helping your local Conservatives? I'm sure they would appreciate your undoubted energy :smile:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited May 2017
    Chilton leads :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Chilton leads :D

He's doing very well, but needs some yellows to help him.
  • Options

But not yet. She will stay as Chancellor for the forseable. She is a formidable Iron Lady.

My point is that this is the backdrop to our opening Brexit talks.

No deal nailed on IMO. Perhaps DD should do some contingency planning before it hits. Just friendly advice.
    Thatcher was at the height of her powers when she won in 1997, then it all fell apart, much betond 10 years and theyre all on borrowed time

it was the same with Kohl
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

By ensuring the alternative seems even worse.
    The EU are very good at that. Whether that strategy works forever is moot.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    RoyalBlue said:

SWR said:

Have you considered helping your local Conservatives? I'm sure they would appreciate your undoubted energy :smile:
    Perfect for calling back on wavering Labour supporters who need some gentle persuasion ...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    SeanT said:

The Corbyn FB attack ad is now rapidly heading to 2.2m views. It might reach 3m this week. That's seriously impressive. Someone is getting a gold star.

It could yet prove the Miliband-in-Salmond's-pocket of this election.

Everything that makes you queasy about voting Labour.
  • Options
    A German suggesting that our nation cannot be relied upon! I feel history may be against her. (She may be right, but I have a lot of dead ancestors that really do rather point the finger at the Germans as being the least nice to play with of the kids in the playground)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

As we all know the Roman Empire declined and fell. They had 700 years of hegemony first. Which is a good innings.
This discussion has been closed.