Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you have system like first past the post then don’t get ups

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you have system like first past the post then don’t get upset if voters try to game it

The above poll by BMG for the Electoral Reform Society, is striking because when exactly the same question was asked by the same pollster before GE2015 just 9% said they were ready to vote tactically.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,548
    edited June 2017
    Thirst.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm sure some will try. Good luck to them too - I usually vote with some consideration in mind other than just voting for the party or candidate I like best.

Voting tactically is easier said than done though. It's often not easy to see who's best placed to stop your least desired outcome.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited June 2017
    Bugger
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Isn't this thread just Mike trying to put some credibility behind his leaflet campaign?

Do we have any evidence of significant tactical voting in the last few elections that has changed the result very much?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited June 2017
    Fifth preference.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    The total of 200% seems high

It does. :smile:
    Electoral Calculus has the Lib Dems losing all their seats if that Opinium poll was the final result.

I don't believe that would happen, mind.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    New @OpiniumResearch poll

Con 43 (-2) Lab 37 (+2) LD 6 (-1) UKIP 5 (nc)

Con lead down 13% since May called the GE

Mays's ratings also falling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/03/theresa-may-approval-rating-sinks-as-tory-lead-shrinks-to-six-points
    I don't get why people are so upset about Mike's leaflet campaign. He's entitled to do as he pleases.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,732
    edited June 2017

I don't get why people are so upset about Mike's leaflet campaign. He's entitled to do as he pleases.

Commenting on it = being upset? If people think it's a bad idea they are allowed to say so

It just looks so Arfur Daley style dodgy!

If I got a letter from someone I don't know telling me they make money out of betting and.... it'd go straight in the recycling
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    iirc tactical voting helps the party ahead, if (big if) there's an equal amount of tactical voting going on. Doesn't make much difference though.

I was amused

1) Last night somebody was getting upset on mine and David Herdson's behalf that Mike had done this, I pointed out this is Mike's site, he's the editor, and he's never told me what I can and can't write

2) Getting back home this morning, finding out I had received such a leaflet from Mike
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    May’s approval rating is down from +11% last week to +6%, while Corbyn’s holds relatively steady on -12%. Though over two in five (42%) think that May would be the better prime minister, and 26% prefer Corbyn, this is a significant change from the first poll of the campaign where 49% thought May would be the best prime minister and 14% thought Corbyn was the superior option.

I actually think May should hide herself over the next few days. She's lucky her lead was so big, that she's still ahead of Corbyn significantly on both approval and best PM.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Electoral Calculus has the Lib Dems losing all their seats if that Opinium poll was the final result.

You need special pleading for anywhere in England right now though.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    isam said:

Commenting on it = being upset? If people think it's a bad idea they are allowed to say so
    Tge problem for him and the lib dems is that the letters have a national imprint so they will claim they are part if the national spend. The letters though are aimed at individual constituencies and thus should be regarded as local spend and come under the election spending rules- At 30p per leaflet thats a lot of money

Who would have thought Orkney and Shetland would the Lib Dem's safest seat at this election.
    Pulpstar said:

Ceredigion looks iffy too, though Plaid Cymru's own weakness helps them a fair bit.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Polling, turn-out and the young in a nutshell?

https://twitter.com/bekahgracedowd/status/870973426579763202
    edited June 2017

I am not upset about it at all. I was interested in the legalities of such schemes this morning but only as regards the ability of people with very large sums of money to get around the EC rules. I am fairly certain Mike does not fall into that category unless he is selling all our data to Russian mafia men on the side. :)

But after sending out leaflets encouraging tactical voting it does seem more than coincidence that we have a thread on it this afternoon.

I would actually be more concerned about Mike's vote swapping exercise which, even after the discussions on it in 2015 still strikes me as somehow wrong in the context of voting for someone to represent you in Parliament. I would also be interested to know if the process of selling your vote in return for someone else's vote isn't on the edge of legality.
    NB you can still back Lib Dems for under 10 seats at 2.6 or so on Betfair, which is 13/8 or so. It looks to me like an evens or better shot, even allowing for the Lib Dems' focus on individual constituencies.

Sacrificing your life for Jeremy Corbyn, FFS.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Latest polling...

I am not upset about it at all. I was interested in the legalities of such schemes this morning but only as regards the ability of people with very large sums of money to get around the EC rules. I am fairly certain Mike does not fall into that category unless he is selling all our data to Russian mafia men on the side. :)

But after sending out leaflets encouraging tactical voting it does seem more than coincidence that we have a thread on it this afternoon.

I would actually be more concerned about Mike's vote swapping exercise which, even after the discussions on it in 2015 still strikes me as somehow wrong in the context of voting for someone to represent you in Parliament. I would also be interested to know if the process of selling your vote in return for someone else's vote isn't on the edge of legality.
    And people like Mike are the material of opinion polls... I wonder why they don't work
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    timmo said:

isam said:

Tge problem for him and the lib dems is that the letters have a national imprint so they will claim they are part if the national spend. The letters though are aimed at individual constituencies and thus should be regarded as local spend and come under the election spending rules- At 30p per leaflet thats a lot of money
    He doesn't suggest how they should vote. He let's the facts speak for themselves.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Did TSE back the Derby winner .... :smile:
    Pulpstar said:

Here's a thought, come Friday, will the Lib Dems be a Scotland only party?
    edited June 2017

Then when they get a tricky question on the exams......NO FAIRRRRRRRR all over snapchat.

My experience of dealing with undergrads (albeit not for a few years) compared to back in the day. They definitely are more dedicated to study and put in more effort, but are totally fixated on what is on the "syllabus" and believe that it is somehow totally unfair if they get a bad grade if they spent hours revising.
  • chloechloe Posts: 308
    Have we got to wait until after 10 for most of these polls?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    NSFW https://twitter.com/ConnorJamesMoss /status/870269865692729344/photo/1

Some serious anti-Tory GOTV going on here.
    JackW said:

What a race!
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    edited June 2017

Not least because, without further modification, Baxter will assume no change in the SNP vote => gain Orkney.

Plugging in the Ipsos MORI Scotland poll, Orkney stays LD and - amusingly - the only other seat left standing is Westmoreland, by about 50 votes. A scenario in which Tim Farron would presumably resign as leader in humiliation and be replaced by Carmichael.

[Statistical note: the Ipsos 5% in Scotland would imply a slightly better performance in England & Wales than 6% across GB would imply, hence Tiny Tim surviving by the skin of his teeth. I think.]
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2017
    Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts on the previous thread, perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

Any new polls today and what's the Tory Bedwetting Index?

Edit. Just seen OR poll

Then when they get a tricky question on the exams......NO FAIRRRRRRRR all over snapchat.
    Still, they did have a point with the GSCE question about the Capulets.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    Barnesian said:

timmo said:

isam said:

He doesn't suggest how they should vote. He let's the facts speak for themselves.
    And I would expect the spending to be declared locally.
    Pulpstar said:

She's risks getting a very sore jaw.
    JackW said:

I think I saw on twitter Sgt Reckless won a race today

Seems about 100 people are stuck outside his meeting hall (it's full) chanting some cultish rubbish or other about Jezza.

edited June 2017

Seems about 100 people are stuck outside his meeting hall (it's full) chanting some cultish rubbish or other about Jezza.

The cult like following is very scary, especially for such a flawed individual.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Barnesian said:

timmo said:

isam said:

He is not telling people how to vote but he has written a letter on behalf if the lib dems with the lib dem imorint on it.. you cant have it both ways...
    NeilVW said:

Not least because, without further modification, Baxter will assume no change in the SNP vote => gain Orkney.

Plugging in the Ipsos MORI Scotland poll, Orkney stays LD and - amusingly - the only other seat left standing is Westmoreland, by about 50 votes. A scenario in which Tim Farron would presumably resign as leader in humiliation and be replaced by Carmichael.

[Statistical note: the Ipsos 5% in Scotland would imply a slightly better performance in England & Wales than 6% across GB would imply, hence Tiny Tim surviving by the skin of his teeth.]
    That's very helpful (and plausible).
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    JackW said:

Opinium 43-37-6, and mildly damp.

What we really want to know: when will your ARSE arise?
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

This was discussed in 2015. It had at that stage been oked by the Electoral Commission, but actually I think it is *very* borderline. It is an offence to sell a vote for money or money's worth. A vote clearly has a potential cash value (if it didn't, you wouldn't have to legislate against selling it) - what it doesn't have is a lawful cash value. But if you are relying on that as a get-out you are very close to saying, what I am doing is legal because it is illegal.

The question in the threader survey looks flawed to me, it doesn't address the possibility of voting for your second choice of party because you quite like it, rather than because you dislike a third party.
    Pulpstar said:

For those of us living in safe Tory seats....
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts on the previous thread, perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

So far Opinium, Tory lead down to just 6%

Other polls tonight

ComRes at 6pm,

ICM, ORB, 2 Survation polls, one GB wide, one Scotland only, and a YouGov.
    There's going to be a wave of angst and downright anger from Jezza's crowd following next week's Tory win.

The cult-like reverence for him is absolutely ridiculous.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964

Funniest result would be if the LibDems end up with just The Liar of Orkney. That seat looks a nailed on hold. The others? On 6%? Who knows. They are being bled dry by Corbyn.

And if that isn't a damning indictment of Tim Farron.... surely the first party Leader to go on Friday?
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

My experience of dealing with undergrads (albeit not for a few years) compared to back in the day. They definitely are more dedicated to study and put in more effort, but are totally fixated on what is on the "syllabus" and believe that it is somehow totally unfair if they get a bad grade if they spent hours revising.
    They're fine, so long as they don't have to think for themselves. Having to think for yourself is definitely unfair. I am glad to be out of that game.
    timmo said:

Barnesian said:

timmo said:

isam said:

He is not telling people how to vote but he has written a letter on behalf if the lib dems with the lib dem imorint on it.. you cant have it both ways...
    I didn't see the imprint. Only got a quick glance.
  • noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    How best do I cover the unfortunate scenerio of Lib dems winning 11 seats? Currently £1,400 net profit 10 or under, £144 net profit 12 or over.

11 seats and I lose £610

JackW said:

Other polls tonight

ComRes at 6pm,

Thought ComRes was at 5pm? Think that BritainElects account implied so anyway.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I really, really hope that Nick Clegg holds on in Hallam.
    edited June 2017

They're fine, so long as they don't have to think for themselves. Having to think for yourself is definitely unfair. I am glad to be out of that game.
    I thankfully don't deal with undergrads anymore. There is definitely a huge issue with thinking for oneself though. Effort is up, but learning for interest is way down.

Unfortunately with grade inflation and more competition for uni places that is the game they get taught at school, then when they attend university (especially a top one) they get this horrible shock when somebody such as myself says there isn't a rigid syllabus and lets look at this because it is really rather interesting.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

May’s approval rating is down from +11% last week to +6%, while Corbyn’s holds relatively steady on -12%. Though over two in five (42%) think that May would be the better prime minister, and 26% prefer Corbyn, this is a significant change from the first poll of the campaign where 49% thought May would be the best prime minister and 14% thought Corbyn was the superior option.

I actually think May should hide herself over the next few days. She's lucky her lead was so big, that she's still ahead of Corbyn significantly on both approval and best PM.

She has the final interview of the campaign with Julie Etchingham on ITV on Tuesday.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    timmo said:

Barnesian said:

timmo said:

isam said:

Whatever you do - don't tell Crick!

Arf....

I thankfully don't deal with undergrads anymore. There is definitely a huge issue with thinking for oneself though. Effort is up, but learning for interest is way down.
    If one is paying for one's education, one expects the exams to reflect what one has been told to study.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

When I went to university I thought the idea was you learned stuff and then they tested you at the end. It was not till my second degree that someone got took me in hand and showed how to analyse past papers for patterns, work out markers' foibles, organise group revision sessions and so on. I gather it is this sort of exam technique that was one of the factors behind grade inflation in schools (alongside taking the hard stuff out).
    edited June 2017

timmo said:

Barnesian said:

timmo said:

isam said:

Whatever you do - don't tell Crick!

Arf....
    Honestly, who is going to read that letter and take it seriously?! Looks so moody its unreal. The only surprise is it doesn't mention Nigeria or Western Union

JackW said:

Other polls tonight

ComRes at 6pm,

Thought ComRes was at 5pm? Think that BritainElects account implied so anyway.
    The memo I got from John Rentoul said 6pm
    OT Well done anyone who found Wings of Eagles in the Derby. I was counting my winnings till he swept by.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569

Trump like. Are you scared yet?
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017

I can't remember but wasn't there a Tory vote or effort to keep in in place in 2015 in case of the need for another coalition? Or Tory voters sympathetic to the job he did under coalition. Could of sworn I read they was some tactical voting but I could be wrong. I probably would have voted for him in that situation, I really liked that coalition government.

I guess that won't be there now. if there indeed was at that time.

If one is paying for one's education, one expects the exams to reflect what one has been told to study.
    Yes -- students are consumers now and they want their nine grands' worth.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    isam said:

It just looks so Arfur Daley style dodgy!

If I got a letter from someone I don't know telling me they make money out of betting and.... it'd go straight in the recycling
    Plus, talking about "how I make my predictions" is very Mystic Meg (and I thought contrary to Mike's philosophy that it's not about making predictions, it's about identifying value in the odds). Plus "data" is plural.

What of course will happen now is that because this post doesn't say the letter is the most exciting development in representative democracy since 1832, two or three threads down the line some dweeb will be saying "Ooooh the PB tories were frothing with rage about OGH's letter".
    @Indigo It was just an idea I put out there! Lots of poorer students have been put off going to uni due to the increase in tuition fees. Also, I remember reading that poorer students ended up doing less well post-graduation, than students from middle-class backgrounds, I'll try to find it.

@MyBurningEars I liked your idea of an income debt repayment! I think in general it'd be good give teenagers classes on how to manage money and understanding finance. Good life skills.
    edited June 2017

It shouldn't be. One aspect I do think is a valid complaint, is not bad grades, but academics seeing tuition as a hindrance to their research. It is true, but until Jezza wins they need the students paying their (loaned) money and they do deserve more time / prep from academics.

Some that I interact with are really good, but others still have this rigid "I don't answer emails outside these times" and "This is my office HOUR for the week". When somebody is paying £9k a year that isn't acceptable.

I always tried to make myself available and told students if you come showing you have read about the topic, tried the work etc I will never give you the answer but I will help to explain things. However, I won't be happy to help you if you don't come to lectures and then just email me saying I don't understand anything.
    edited June 2017
    jonny83 said:

I can't remember but wasn't there a Tory vote or effort to keep in in place in 2015 in case of the need for another coalition? Or Tory voters sympathetic to the job he did under coalition. Could of sworn I read they was some tactical voting but I could be wrong. I probably would have voted for him in that situation, I really liked that coalition government.

Tories might vote tactically for him to deny Labour the seat. It's all the rage.

Is there a link to this leaflet? It feels like a pb shibboleth. Three days of discussion and I've still no idea what it's about.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    Opinium - TMICIPM.

I'm revising my forecast down to a Tory majority of 50-70 though.
    Please can someone post a link to these letters that OGH has been sending out. I'm feeling left out.

At University one is expected to think for oneself and do what was always known as 'reading around the subject'. One should not expect to be spoon fed. University is supposed to teach independent learning and critical thought not just regurgitation of what has been taught to you.
    OUT said:

Trump like. Are you scared yet?
    Yes, it is like Trump. I can't say that it scares me though, I just find it a bit bizarre.
    jonny83 said:

Lord Clegg of Chalfont St Giles it is then. Shame he's not allowed to be leader in that scenario.
    jonny83 said:

Yup, the Cons for Clegg.

I declined to do so in 2015, but my father did.

All the Tories for Clegg I know have gone back to the Blue meanies this time.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/03/theresa-may-approval-rating-sinks-as-tory-lead-shrinks-to-six-points

Blimey that came out early! :open_mouth:

JackW said:

Other polls tonight

ComRes at 6pm,

+ There might be a "surprise" given its the final weekend of the campaign?
    tlg86 said:

Please can someone post a link to these letters that OGH has been sending out. I'm feeling left out.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/871032574080163841

At University one is expected to think for oneself and do what was always known as 'reading around the subject'. One should not expect to be spoon fed. University is supposed to teach independent learning and critical thought not just regurgitation of what has been taught to you.
    Are you from the 19th century?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/krishgm/status/871032486708617216

Hm, isn't that an offence?
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited June 2017

Well, it depends what you have been told to study.

I teach UG chemistry/chemical engineering - there has to be a strong problem solving element present, so I spend a good 5 % of my teaching time telling them that there will be unseen elements in the exam, that past papers are no guide to future ones etc etc

But I still get semi-complaints about "that wasn't in the lecture" and "where were all the derivations".

shrugs.
    GIN1138 said:

There's medicines you can take that sort out that problem.

Yes, I appreciate that. However it is not unreasonable to expect the rules of engagement to be clear if you are paying a massive amount of money for the privilege.
    edited June 2017

twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/871031642399408128

Better get the prison cell ready for Banksy if he does that...If I remember correctly his wife is a former labour SPAD.
    RobD said:

Hm, isn't that an offence?

Probably
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Scott_P said:
    Is that not breaking the law? You are giving inducements to win votes.
    Some essential reading on a Twitter thread about 18-24 year olds:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/871029891873067008

Some that I interact with are really good, but others still have this rigid "I don't answer emails outside these times" and "This is my office HOUR for the week".
    On the second one, sure - but you have office HOURS to match teaching responsibility.

On the first - no, I am not on call and the students have got to understand that. I take Wednesdays off teaching for research and working with my group. Thursday is only 24 hours away.
    Scott_P said:
    Lawyer's note: this print is a souvenir piece of campaign material, it is in no way meant to influence the choices of the electorate, has no monetary value, is for amusement purposes only and is strictly not for re-sale. Terms and conditions to follow, postage not included.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Scott_P said:
    offering a bribe for a vote is illegal isn't it

This is more 'Life of Brian' than a grown-up campaign for high office.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Small Lab turnout in Derby North. I wish I had gone now will be there tomorrow

https://twitter.com/j_darcy_derby/status/871032005793918977/photo/1
    kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    offering a bribe for a vote is illegal isn't it
    Treating is the word I believe.
  • chrisbchrisb Posts: 101

How best do I cover the unfortunate scenerio of Lib dems winning 11 seats? Currently £1,400 net profit 10 or under, £144 net profit 12 or over.

11 seats and I lose £610

Ladbrokes are offering 10/1 on exactly 11 seats.

GIN1138 said:

There's medicines you can take that sort out that problem.
    Have you "got plans" to abandon your position again tonight before all polls are released like last week?
    "academics seeing tuition as a hindrance to their research."

it'd be fine if teaching wasn't basically ignored when coming up to year reviews, promotions etc etc
  • BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

There's going to be a wave of angst and downright anger from Jezza's crowd following next week's Tory win.

They'll blame it on people voting in pencil instead of pen.
This discussion has been closed.