Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls range from ComRes 12% CON lead to Survation’s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls range from ComRes 12% CON lead to Survation’s 1%

It a massive night of polls with the election just five days away. So far we’ve had four:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    Survation is the only poll to be carried out post QT.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Third!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    15 mins to YouGov. The excitement!
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Fourth like UKIP
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    So it is either too close to call or a landslide...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Well that cleared that up then. Without polls it would be confusing.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2017

yes but pre QT mrs may was accused of running chicken from the debates which you would have thought should have depressed her polling
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

But if 75% of it's respondents claim to have seen the debate - then their panel has been gamed.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

This is madness. Utter madness.
  • Options
    MagoshMagosh Posts: 8
    History tells me that when the polls say conflicting things, it's better to side with those that show higher Tory leads, I'm afraid. (And I mean I am literally afraid, personally)

Frankly, it would be wise for all LAB supporters to assume they'll lose badly, since that it is historically the most likely outcome. Anything more would be a nice surprise on the night.

Seeing who is right and who is wrong will be very interesting, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

:D

Imagine they are all wrong, and that we're heading for a landslide Labour victory.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

But if 75% of it's respondents claim to have seen the debate - then their panel has been gamed.
    Well they didn't
  • Options
    The difference between ComRes and Survation is well above MOE. The pollsters are once again asking us to make a judgement as to who has the best adjustments, rather than pointing us towards an accurate forecast of the result.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

:D

Imagine they are all wrong, and that we're heading for a landslide Labour victory.
    Or a Lib Dem/UKIP coalition of chaos....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Spare a thought for the poor sod who has two write the Sunday morning thread.

He likes to write said thread between 9pm and 11pm on Saturday nights

Thread - Polls All Over Shop - Discuss
  • Options
    SeanT said:

With a huge over-sampling of people who watched/were aware of, the QT show

Most of my educated, politically aware friends had no idea QT was on, or what it meant.

How many saw it? 3m? 4? Multiply by 3 to include those aware of it. That's still less than a third of the electorate.
    It was around 3m I think.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:
    Yeah, even if the 72% is watched or heard of it, the poll claims 40% watched some of it live, which is rubbish.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    SeanT said:

Most of my educated, politically aware friends had no idea QT was on, or what it meant.

How many saw it? 3m? 4? Multiply by 3 to include those aware of it. That's still less than a third of the electorate.
    https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/871097589982273536
  • Options
    I reckon this is the sort of polling we'd have got in reverse if Gordon Brown had called an election in the autumn of 2007
  • Options
    Magosh said:

History tells me that when the polls say conflicting things, it's better to side with those that show higher Tory leads, I'm afraid. (And I mean I am literally afraid, personally)

Frankly, it would be wise for all LAB supporters to assume they'll lose badly, since that it is historically the most likely outcome. Anything more would be a nice surprise on the night.

That would work except for the fact that the pollsters are this time adjusting their raw data to allow for that. Or so they hope.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    I love politics. The ultimate soap opera where you the viewer can affect the ending to the story. Will St Theresa be allowed to complete her negotiations with the rector for a new steeple for the village church? Will Mad Jeremy succeed in snatching the deeds to the church so that it can be swept away allowing a yoghurt knitting co-operative to set up shop in a new eco-factory? Its up to you...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Magosh said:

That would work except for the fact that the pollsters are this time adjusting their raw data to allow for that. Or so they hope.
    They are trying to do that each time with their adjustments. It's not a new thing for this election.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    EMA model after Orb Con maj 40
    Con 44% Lab 36%
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Con 44% Lab 36%

I think that's a reasonable estimate for the final numbers
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I am still very bemused by the Tory reaction or lack of it. If Messina was getting too close to call in his polls you would have thought they would be calling in every favour, every Tory that is popular would be spending every waking minute in every marginal seat and the Sun / Mail / Telegraph would be getting inundated with useful stories.

That or Kim Jong May doesn't want to listen.
  • Options
    I inadvertently chose the tailend of the last thread to delurk:
    Whilst I live in hope that last night’s debate may help burst the Corbyn bubble, I am bewildered at the total lack of questioning by anyone of the credentials to govern of three long-term, serially rebellious, career politician backbenchers with no ministerial or shadow ministerial experience between them prior to Corbyn’s appointment. How can these people possibly be entrusted with running the country? What experience can they draw on? Do they have the remotest inkling of how government really works? Nor has there been anything approaching a forensic examination of their magic money tree manifesto. Lacklustre does not even begin to describe the Conservative campaign, but I find it inconceivable that 35% - 40% of the electorate can truly want this toxic trio at the helm.
  • Options
    JackW said:

"DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN"
  • Options
    I wonder if YouGov and Survation are wondering "HAVE our panels been bent out of shape by Momentum? Are they smarter than us?"
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/cjterry/status/871099209218494466

11 points! YEAH :D
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    The best thing to do is take an average of the polls. So far today it's a Tory lead of 7%.

Scrap that: 8% with ICM included.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited June 2017
    Survation precise figs.

Con 39.8
    Lab 39.1

& all important mcsubsample

SNP 43.8
    SCon 20.7
    SLab 27.9

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Little change from last time. PB Tory bedwetting subsides, at least until the YouGov poll anyway....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I'll take that.....
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I find it impossible to believe that 45:34 is only a 60 seat majority.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Magosh said:

They are trying to do that each time with their adjustments. It's not a new thing for this election.
    Not so much as now. When they publish the raw data we see that the published headline VI is sometimes miles different.
  • Options
    ICM is out - its all over, lads.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So that's three good or excellent polls for the Tories (in the circs)

Heading for a majority somewhere between 50 and 100.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Magosh said:

Not so much as now. When they publish the raw data we see that the published headline VI is sometimes miles different.
    I've not actually looked at raw/adjusted figures for previous elections, but I recall the MORI headline figures always being significantly different from their "all expressing an opinion" numbers.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ICM is

Cons 45
    Lab 34
    LD 9
    UKIP 5
    Greens 3
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    ICM says chill. Still the gold standard in my book.
  • Options
    I wonder if ICM will be in, even more closely with the Tory 'herd" of polls, while there might be even also more shock poll on the other side before the election, possibly showing a level result , or a 1% Labour lead.
    Prediction - Tory maj of 15-40.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This is madness. Utter madness.
    On the other hand it makes our elections WAY more interesting than the tedious, regimented French processions of Gallic voter robots who can be predicted to the third decimal place, with great accuracy, and all tension ends three weeks before the vote.
    TBF there was a fair bit of MLP hopeful wanking until quite late on.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    This is just utter bonkers....I don't care what the result is, the polling companies are going to need another inquiry. There is no way one should lot should be consistently getting 1-4% and the other 11-12%.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I doubt QT did much to change minds, though perhaps it stalled some Corbyn momentum.
    I agree in the old thread with the comment suggesting the survation poll is designed to get Mail readers out to vote, I dont think a survey taken across one morning is the optimum way to do things, but if the Mail on Sunday wanted to cause worry this is perfect.

Similarly kudos to another poster suggesting survation had 4 polls with different results unpublished from 2015, so obvious and probably so true! Why i did i never think of that. Gold standard my arse.
  • Options

I wonder if ICM will be in, even more closely with the Tory 'herd" of polls, while there might be even also more shock poll on the other side before the election, possibly showing a level result , or a 1% Labour lead.
    Prediction - Tory maj of 15-40.

"polls", on the other side, I should say there.
  • Options
    Out ComRes, and ICM who do PBTories love the most? :innocent:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Me thinks this is what Messina polls are telling the Tories. At least that would explain the lack of panic and seeming like little need to go nuclear and just skip interviews and debates.
  • Options
    Average of today's polls so far:

Con 44%
    Lab 36%
  • Options
    Lets split the difference between ComRes and ICM and put the Tories on 46 :p
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    AndyJS said:

The best thing to do is take an average of the polls. So far today it's a Tory lead of 7%.

Scrap that: 8% with ICM included.

Thats about right IMO

TMICIPM increased Maj
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited June 2017

ICM is 45:34

Take 2-3% off Labour due to lazy people not turning out on the day and we're at 45%/31% and a Tory landslide is still on...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The ICM phone poll was the gold standard, ICM now only do online polls.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I know you can't read too much into these things, but why are so many of these polls showing none of the main four parties going down? Is it because the SNP/Plaid/Green are going down? Seems to be a common theme this last week.
  • Options

Out ComRes, and ICM who do PBTories love the most? :innocent:

Comres, by about 10%... :smiley:
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    Tory majority 100 seats. Time to get.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    So are we sticking with survation interesting sample as the bar chart poll for this thread and not icm the world's favourite pollster.....for pb tories and pampers pundits.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

I am still very bemused by the Tory reaction or lack of it. If Messina was getting too close to call in his polls you would have thought they would be calling in every favour, every Tory that is popular would be spending every waking minute in every marginal seat and the Sun / Mail / Telegraph would be getting inundated with useful stories.

The campaign has been non-existent. Very weird.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I suppose there's a strong case for saying that polls being all over the place is good for our democracy. Nobody's got an excuse not to vote. Highly accurate polling is the worst. Inaccurate herding pretty bad, because the herding leads to believability.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Magosh said:

Heard this before, time to check it out....
    (result, best Tory poll)

2015: +6.6, +6 (Surveymonkey and the spiked Survation both on +6, everyone else basically saying +0)
    2010: +7.2, +9 (Populus, but polls overall very good, lots on +7, although LDs polled at 27/28 confused things)
    2005: -3.0, -5 (Ipsos MORI, others had much larger Lab leads)
    2001: -9.0, -11 (ICM and Rasmussen, others had much larger Lab leads)
    1997: -12.5, -10 (ICM, others had much larger Lab leads)

Pretty good general rule.

• Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    So 5 down

1, 6, 9, 11, 12?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SNP 43.8
    SCon 20.7
    SLab 27.9

Darkest timeline (for my book)
  • Options
    ICM as predicted there.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Game over for labour . i'll take a stab at 395 seats for tories labour sub 200
  • Options
    alex. said:

I suppose there's a strong case for saying that polls being all over the place is good for our democracy. Nobody's got an excuse not to vote. Highly accurate polling is the worst. Innaccurate herding pretty bad, because the herding leads to believability.

It's not good if polls are driving the narrative.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Con 44% Lab 36%

I think that's a reasonable estimate for the final numbers
    I reckon 50 to 60 Maj
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    ICM¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SNP 43.8
    SCon 20.7
    SLab 27.9

*hides KLAXON* :(
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Unless the sort of polls ICM have just released is what the Tories are getting i.e. Steady Tory number 44-45 come what may, and yes a Labour surge but no where near as much as YouGov.

I just wonder, is the private polling telling the Tories they are ok and worry that going nuclear on Corbyn could get a Gordo type sympathy response.

I can't think of any other logical reason why the only time the Tories have really campaigned is when their manifesto social care policy went tits up.
  • Options
    Just wait until we see the tables and find out ICM also have 40% of people having watched the debate live.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Spoilsport.
  • Options

Well JackW has been steadfast in his 100 seat majority prediction. And in 2015 he had contacts at the heart of the Tory campaign.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

SeanT said:

Unless people watching clips on evening and breakfast news are counting that as seeing part of the QT programme.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I know you can't read too much into these things, but why are so many of these polls showing none of the main four parties going down? Is it because the SNP/Plaid/Green are going down? Seems to be a common theme this last week.
    When it's +1 changes, it's usually roundings
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

If it is ultra-targetted (and that's soaking up all of their funds) we might just be in the wrong demographics for the advertising. How may 45 years old white C2 women are on here?

Still doesn't explain where most of the cabinet is tho'.
  • Options

I love politics. The ultimate soap opera where you the viewer can affect the ending to the story. Will St Theresa be allowed to complete her negotiations with the rector for a new steeple for the village church? Will Mad Jeremy succeed in snatching the deeds to the church so that it can be swept away allowing a yoghurt knitting co-operative to set up shop in a new eco-factory? Its up to you...

'Leave it Jez, she's not wurf it.'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

DavidL said:

Do you think they might throw out a phone poll for the final "Eve Of Poll" poll on Wednesday?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Unless people watching clips on evening and breakfast news are counting that as seeing part of the QT programme.
    The table states that 17% watched the whole event live, and 21% watched part of it live. That's just way too high.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    There is remarkable consistency in the approximate 80% combined vote share for Labour and Conservatives no matter the polling company.
    I find it hard to imagine that the Survation poll is right since I cannot image so many people swapping between the 2 parties when they are offering such a different idea on what they want to do in government. (For the 1 time in ages) If the Con vote was down 6 surely some of that would go to the LDs or UKIP rather than straight to Labour?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

Wait, there are other timelines?
  • Options
    If this is herding we need a sheepdog
  • Options
    I said I'd be getting blootered next Friday celebrating the surprise Laour win. I'll be getting blootered regardless of the result. And being paid to do so. Politics is fun, life is good.
  • Options

The truth may be that after all this is a Brexit election. The fact that it has been barely mentioned in the campaign hasn't changed that. Brexit voters decided on day one that they would vote Con to guarantee Brexit, and they haven't wavered.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Do you think they might throw out a phone poll for the final "Eve Of Poll" poll on Wednesday?
    No
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

The table states that 17% watched the whole event live, and 21% watched part of it live. That's just way too high.
    Yep ur right.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

I know, but it seems to have happened a lot recently.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

https://twitter.com/flying_inside/status/871100912865071104
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

"DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN"
    Or

Daily Mirror - 9th June

"CORBYN DEFEATS MAY"

• Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

twitter.com/flying_inside/status/871100912865071104
    He's biding his time, and will tell us who is right at 10:00pm, June 8th.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Is there any collection of these polls results showing with DKs included in the results. I think that would be really useful to see if there is big differences between polling companies DK figure
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I know, but it seems to have happened a lot recently.
    I think we're seeing a natural squeeze because a lot of pollsters are filtering for the respondents who live in constituencies with no UKIP or Green candidate
  • Options
    Not going to make any difference but a terrible decision by the referee in giving a red there.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

DavidL said:

There is a phone poll coming isn't there?

Am I right that Survation interesting as it is the only post debate one,

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Polls really are bollocks.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There is a phone poll coming isn't there?

Am I right that Survation interesting as it is the only post debate one,

I don't think we know the ICM/YouGov fieldwork dates. It's also interesting in that it claims 40% of people watched all/some of the debate live.
This discussion has been closed.