Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the 8-1 William Hill hung parliament but no coalition

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the 8-1 William Hill hung parliament but no coalition bet

At 8/1 the current best value GE2015 bet is the “other” option in the William Hill list above. That there’ll be no overall majority but there’ll be no coalition formed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MYSTERY of Guardian mobos and graphics cards which 'held Snowden files'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/21/guardian_smashed_computers_questioned/
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Not sure about this. If Labour fall short of a majority, I can't see them being too far off, which would probably make a Lib Lab Coalition possible. I suspect the temptation for both parties would be too great to resist.

But 8/1 is decent, ta.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Pays out if there is a LAB-SDLP coalition if Labour were just short, or perhaps even intriguingly over the mark anyway but wanting a larger majority...
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Yes, good bet. I've topped up, to the limited extent Wm Hill will let me.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    I agree. A further reason is that the much reduced number of Lib Dem MPs is unlikely to exceed the combined total of the remaining 'other' MPs, making it harder for Con or Lab to deliver an effective coalition with more than a wafer thin majority via the support of one other party alone. Rainbow coalitions may be the only game in town. As such this will make any coalition harder to deliver and also less likely to offer the benefit of a guaranteed majority over 5 years, as by elections come into effect. It all makes supply and confidence far more attractive by comparison as a short term option.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2013
    @Carl - it does depend on the composition and number of Lib Dem MPs - if there were more Orange Bookers is it more likely that a deal would be not done. On the other hand if the OBs were a more diminished element of surviving Lib Dems could a deal occur?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm far from convinced this is particularly likely as a long term solution. The pressure on the Lib Dems to deliver a stable Government will be greater than seems to be appreciated, given that we now have five year fixed Parliaments and the raison d'etre of the Lib Dems is coalition government. If the maths add up, the pressure all round for a coalition will be strong.

This only really works on a long term basis if the Conservatives are the largest party but a majority of Conservative backbenchers in 2015 are irrational. While I freely acknowledges that a sizeable minority of the current intake fall into that category, I'm very doubtful that they yet command a majority.

BUT. The bet is on the next Government. We might well have a minority Government before we have a formal coalition. 8/1 is fair value for this possibility.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Conservatives.com are now using a splash screen, highlighting "achievements".

http://www.conservatives.com/Achievements.aspx

I think they've also changed the font on their headings tags
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Con maj at 3s and no government maj no government at 8s almost looks to be the wrong way round!!

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited August 2013
    @antifrank - I think you're being too logical. In the event of a hung parliament, an unstable outcome, with no combination of parties able and willing to form a coalition, is perfectly possible. In fact, I'd say it's rather likely, given the conflicting visions and the fact that all three main parties would be jockeying for position with an eye to the next (and probably imminent) election, not to mention internal feuds within each party and the personal ambitions of wannabe leaders. Even if everyone acts rationally from their own, or their party's, point of view, it doesn't follow that the overall outcome would be rational for the country.

Edit: In addition, don't forget that the LibDems, or many or them, will be very concerned at the prospect of another coalition with the Conservatives because they'll think there's a risk of losing their identity as a separate party. It's a fair enough point, even if it does clash with their raison d'etre of being the party of coalitions.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    " According to the invitation, Liam Byrne was to speak at a place in Finsbury Park called the London Fashion Centre. This may sound an unlikely venue for a speech on Universal Credit by the Shadow Work & Pensions Secretary – short, forties, shiny-headed, nicknamed Baldemort – but then we got there and found he was actually giving it in an office up two flights of stairs.

When I say office, I don’t mean some vast, modern, open-plan expanse; I mean office as in “deputy headmaster’s office”. For a speech by a former Cabinet minister, it was a remarkably small venue. Perhaps all the local phone boxes had already been booked up. We waited. Apparently the room belonged to a children’s mentoring charity. In the corner was a shelving unit stacked with Monopoly, Pictionary, Scrabble and other board games. “At least those’ll give us something to do once the speech starts,” said a journalist. Although what with the shortage of space the board would probably have to sit out in the corridor.

Twenty minutes late, Mr Byrne squeezed through his audience to the front. “I hope you’re comfortable,” he said, brightly. “I’ll rattle through this.” His subject was welfare, or, as Labour prefer to call it, social security. Senior party figures are worried that, in the public’s mind, the word “welfare” has become too closely linked with idleness, fecklessness, scrounging, and, worst of all, Labour. Hence during his speech Mr Byrne said “social security” 12 times, and “welfare” only once (“This Government’s promised welfare revolution has collapsed”). >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10257309/Sketch-Labour-run-out-of-room-on-welfare.html
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I really do wonder about Labour - this is just totally weird as a line of attack when they've opposed all welfare reform and are so worried about it that the word has been banned

" Afterwards he took questions from the press. (“We’ve got 10 minutes for questions – or less if they get difficult!”) A journalist asked what he’d meant when he said, “Something seems to be very wrong in [Mr Duncan Smith’s] mind”. Was this really an ideal way to propose cross-party talks?

“I don’t have any doubts about Mr Duncan Smith’s sanity,” replied Mr Byrne, without explaining what “something very wrong in his mind” could mean other than “he’s bonkers”. He tried a different line of attack. “The Conservative party,” he said, “has become the ‘Failure to Reform Welfare’ party.”

Nice try, but two points off for saying welfare."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940

An interesting approach, but I personally find splash screens annoying. They get in the way of finding the information I want, by giving me information I almost certainly do not want.

I end up thinking: "I want the twenty seconds it took to parse the blooming splash screen back!"

However: the Conservatives need to fight back against Labour's upcoming attack line. Such a splash screen might be a place to put 'real' stories about 'real' people who are doing well, and have done well under the coalition. There's bound to be one or two somewhere. ;-)
  • Options

An interesting approach, but I personally find splash screens annoying. They get in the way of finding the information I want, by giving me information I almost certainly do not want.

I end up thinking: "I want the twenty seconds it took to parse the blooming splash screen back!"

However: the Conservatives need to fight back against Labour's upcoming attack line. Such a splash screen might be a place to put 'real' stories about 'real' people who are doing well, and have done well under the coalition. There's bound to be one or two somewhere. ;-)
    These are very popular with US politicos. It's just email harvesting. Perhaps this is from their new USA hire?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Seems like a good tip, I may have a go.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

These are very popular with US politicos. It's just email harvesting. Perhaps this is from their new USA hire?

Probably just copying their coalition partners :p
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    tim said:

‘Political Genius’ Housing Plan Spurs Bubble Talk: U.K. Credit

“It’s political genius but economic lunacy,” said Stewart Robertson, an economist at Aviva Investors in London, which manages about $430 billion. “Have we learned nothing? You can already use language like ‘booming’ about the housing market. It may win you votes, but at what cost?”

Rob Wood, an economist at Berenberg Bank and a former Bank of England official, forecasts house prices will rise 15 percent by the end of 2014.
    “If you want an economic recovery in the U.K. you want to push up house prices, but it is a dangerous way of doing it and stores up problems in the future,” he said. “It’s not sound economics but great politics. It will be very difficult for the government to get out of it.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/-political-genius-housing-plan-spurs-bubble-talk-u-k-credit.html

Clearly it's economic lunacy, whether it's political genius is yet to be seen.

Here you go tim, the bit you missed off the end:

“Politically, it’s a masterstroke,” Alan Clarke, an economist at Scotiabank in London, said of Help to Buy. “Economically, given the choice between that and stagnation, some growth is better than none.”
  • Options
    corporeal said:

The LDs don't have a splash screen when I visit.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    tim said:

Rexel56 said:

tim said:

“It’s political genius but economic lunacy,” said Stewart Robertson, an economist at Aviva Investors in London, which manages about $430 billion. “Have we learned nothing? You can already use language like ‘booming’ about the housing market. It may win you votes, but at what cost?”

Rob Wood, an economist at Berenberg Bank and a former Bank of England official, forecasts house prices will rise 15 percent by the end of 2014.
    “If you want an economic recovery in the U.K. you want to push up house prices, but it is a dangerous way of doing it and stores up problems in the future,” he said. “It’s not sound economics but great politics. It will be very difficult for the government to get out of it.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/-political-genius-housing-plan-spurs-bubble-talk-u-k-credit.html

“Politically, it’s a masterstroke,” Alan Clarke, an economist at Scotiabank in London, said of Help to Buy. “Economically, given the choice between that and stagnation, some growth is better than none.”
    "“Economically, given the choice between that and stagnation, some growth is better than none.”

I don't think the choice was ever between no stimulus and a stimulus based on a housing bubble.
    The quote from Rob Wood suggests otherwise, whilst not advocating a bubble he recognises that pushing up house prices is a pre-requisite for a recovery... he questions the mechanic but not the intent

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Rexel56 said:

tim said:

Although Help to Buy does raise some questions, you can't argue with Mr Clarke's summing up. well spotted.
  • Options

corporeal said:

That's odd, they've had one before for a fair while.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913
    tim said:

Fox News audition alert

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 47m
    Manning sentence seems proportionate to light. Seen tweets saying he may only serve another 8.5 years. Reflects mental ill-health probably.

How more obvious can she be without carrying a "I want a job on Fox News" placard.

So does this mean that your constant outpourings on here are you carrying a "I want a job with the guardian" placard? Or is it just that both of you are using a public forum to express your opinions?
  • Options
    Way off-topic but fascinating:

Want to stop wrinkles but don't like Botox? Just stick your head into a working particle accelerator ...

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/08/what-happens-when-you-stick-your-head-into-a-particle-accelerator/

A lucky man to live through that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

Fox News audition alert

How more obvious can she be without carrying a "I want a job on Fox News" placard.

Shame Imogen Lloyd Webber has already filled the "sexy Brit blonde" position already I guess.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

That's odd, they've had one before for a fair while.
    Probably budget cuts. It was the splash screen, or the envelope machine!

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 10m
    Does "amateurism" of #ukip matter as much as some claim? Since 2010 they've delivered striking results with no more than 10 full time staff
  • Options
    boulay said:

tim said:

Fox News audition alert

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 47m
    Manning sentence seems proportionate to light. Seen tweets saying he may only serve another 8.5 years. Reflects mental ill-health probably.

So does this mean that your constant outpourings on here are you carrying a "I want a job with the guardian" placard? Or is it just that both of you are using a public forum to express your opinions?
    Haha good one!
  • Options
    isam said:

Does "amateurism" of #ukip matter as much as some claim? Since 2010 they've delivered striking results with no more than 10 full time staff

That is pretty impressive. :-)

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

I think it depends what you mean by that. Lack of paid staff in HQ isnt necessarily a problem. Failing to target properly so as to not have any obvious winnable seats for the next GE when winning is within grasp is.
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

I think it depends what you mean by that. Lack of paid staff in HQ isnt necessarily a problem. Failing to target properly so as to not have any obvious winnable seats for the next GE when winning is within grasp is.
    Where is winning within grasp for UKIP?

• Options
    isam said:

Heritage railways can deliver striking results with no more than 1 or 2 full time staff - the others volunteers :)

http://eorailway.co.uk/news/three-national-awards-unveiled-at-epping-ongar-railway
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    Independent film companies can produce outstanding results with just three or four office staff ... the BBC need dozens..
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,028

isam said:

Heritage railways can deliver striking results with no more than 1 or 2 full time staff - the others volunteers :)

http://eorailway.co.uk/news/three-national-awards-unveiled-at-epping-ongar-railway
    Yeah, but heritage railways produce whimsical, little facsimilies of the railways of yesteryear, not a functioning transport system. Need I pursue the metaphor?
  • Options

isam said:

Congratulations to the EOR (I should really not call them that - it makes me think of Exclusive OR).

My years working at a preserved railway gave me an idea how hard it was to organise mass volunteer labour. As they don't get paid, they don't need to turn up. And most have firm (and often incompatible with each other, yet alone reality) ideas of the way forward for the organisation. You have to persuade them to turn out in all weathers, and to work safely and efficiently. For some jobs, you needed twenty or thirty people out regardless of the weather. Yet we mostly managed it.

I always thought that if you could manage volunteers on a preserved railway well over a number of years, you could probably manage any SME excellently. Herding cats has nothing on it.

Few manage it well, so well done to the guys and gals at the EOR.
  • Options

isam said:

Yeah, but heritage railways produce whimsical, little facsimilies of the railways of yesteryear, not a functioning transport system. Need I pursue the metaphor?
    Oh, I'm sure there are heritage railways north of the border:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Heritage_railways_in_Scotland
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555
    edited August 2013
    IMO England are value at 8.4:

Betfair odds, 5th Test Oval:

England: 8.4
    Australia: 2.3
    Draw: 2.22

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/market?id=1.109859153&origin=MRL#id=1.109859001
  • Options

isam said:

Congratulations to the EOR (I should really not call them that - it makes me think of Exclusive OR).

My years working at a preserved railway gave me an idea how hard it was to organise mass volunteer labour. As they don't get paid, they don't need to turn up. And most have firm (and often incompatible with each other, yet alone reality) ideas of the way forward for the organisation. You have to persuade them to turn out in all weathers, and to work safely and efficiently. For some jobs, you needed twenty or thirty people out regardless of the weather. Yet we mostly managed it.

I always thought that if you could manage volunteers on a preserved railway well over a number of years, you could probably manage any SME excellently. Herding cats has nothing on it.

Thanks very muchly, Mr. Jessop! Which railway did you work on?
  • Options
    The Pickering-Whitby heritage railway is well worth visiting:

http://www.nymr.co.uk/
  • Options

isam said:

...& the people that use them are far more satisfied than those that stick with what the establishment dish up! Great metaphor divvie!

• Options

isam said:

A Derbyshire one. People can probably guess if I was to say I'm a part-owner of an improbably-painted 8F. (*) ;-)

I worked on trackwork and civil engineering, which was great fun. I left the operations to other people. It was great fun as we were extending the line, clearing vegetation, having massive bonfires, and laying track. And who can forget the epic drinking sessions. If you work hard, you have to play hard. It's the law.

A great bunch of people. too many of whom are no longer with us. :-(

(*) Which I still have not travelled behind. I need to go to the Great Central sometime to rectify that, and to remember Vince, Reg and others. God bless 'em all.
  • Options

isam said:

That's almost exactly what it's like trying to run a local political party.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

That's almost exactly what it's like trying to run a local political party.
    Except with a railway you have very significant dangers; safety was paramount. Fortunately I started when I was 16, before most of the safety regime was deemed necessary. If you had a high-viz vest, steel-toecap boots and energy, they'd have you.

I actually miss it, but walking's my life now. From one sad hobby to another ...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    isam said:

"Yeah, but heritage railways produce whimsical, little facsimilies of the railways of yesteryear, not a functioning transport system. Need I pursue the metaphor?"

...& the people that use them are far more satisfied than those that stick with what the establishment dish up! Great metaphor divvie!

A sop to the nostalgic with no real purpose and you end up where you started? Not bad I suppose.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Nothing wrong with railways or walking, Mr. Jessop.
  • Options
    Has more than £11 million really been staked on the 5th Test so far? Golly:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/market?id=1.109859001
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    We have a law saying that General Elections must be in the first week of May (or something like that) at 5 year intervals.
    Could a minority government manage that?
    If it tried to amend the law could it get a majority? I get the impression people quite like the idea of Parliament being told to get on wioth that it's got, and not bother the electorate again for a while.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

isam said:

"Yeah, but heritage railways produce whimsical, little facsimilies of the railways of yesteryear, not a functioning transport system. Need I pursue the metaphor?"

A sop to the nostalgic with no real purpose and you end up where you started? Not bad I suppose.

Sounds like the Indyref.
  • Options
    FDP up to 7% with Allensbach and 6% with Forsa and GMS:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Uniondivvie - http://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/dnn/

Worth a visit en route to the distilleries...

• Options

isam said:

Sounds like the Indyref.
    Ooh is that checkmate???!!!! He'll still dig....

• Options
    edited August 2013

isam said:

Sounds like the Indyref.
    Yeah, the BT triple entente certainly seems painfully nostalgic for the days when Scotland was a Labour fiefdom, Tory MPs outnumbered pandas and anyone gave a toss what the LDs thought. Happily, regardless of the referendum outcome, none of those views are going to end up where they started.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

isam said:

Sounds like Cast Iron Cammie's EU referendum promises.

:)
  • Options
    isam said:

Don't you find it rather unseemly scampering after other posters in the hope that they'll win your scraps for you?

• Options
    "The real reason Australians have lost their edge in sport: they're finally comfortable with their sexuality":

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100232026/the-real-reason-australians-have-lost-their-edge-in-sport-theyre-finally-comfortable-with-their-sexuality/
  • Options

isam said:

Don't you find it rather unseemly scampering after other posters in the hope that they'll win your scraps for you?

Haha not really! I couldn't care less! Lighten up
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The real reason Australians have lost their edge in sport: they're finally comfortable with their sexuality":

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100232026/the-real-reason-australians-have-lost-their-edge-in-sport-theyre-finally-comfortable-with-their-sexuality/

He wrote that for a bet surely?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Andy_JS said:

He wrote that for a bet surely?
    They could have regained the Ashes this summer had a couple of sessions & decisions gone their way, wouldn't get too carried away with the scoreline
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    Evening all. Whilst the July figures were a little disappointing (my cheque had cleared too) the underlying figures are remarkable. There has been a massive increase in capital spending by the government on a year by year basis. No doubt this explains why construction is suddenly looking a lot more cheerful overall not just in house building.

I find it extremely curious that the government is letting this go on under the surface so to speak. Are they scared that if they made a big thing of it Balls would be claiming that they have copied his policy (of whatever date) or is it simply a timing distortion? It seems very large to be the latter.

Once again the difference in reality if not in rhetoric between our two main parties gets ever smaller. Is it any wonder that the man in the street tunes out of these two bald men (apologies OGH) fighting over the proverbial more and more?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Andy_JS said:

Has more than £11 million really been staked on the 5th Test so far? Golly:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/market?id=1.109859001

No. First, Betfair double-counts; second, there will be an awful lot of trading going on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Snap poll results after the Abbott v Rudd debate last night -CH 7 declares Rudd winner 56-44, Morgan has it tied.

You can replay the full debate here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-21/rudd-and-abbott-face-off-at-people27s-forum/4903760
  • Options
    Its certainly a better bet than Con Maj.

And has Avery still not confirmed or denied whether he's that block who wrote that article in the Telegraph?

Finally re EdM's troubles - I've said before that Labour MP Graham Stringer impresses me, he was on radion 5live yesturday about 16:15 talking about Labour difficulties, lack of strategy etc. Definately worth listening to if you're looking for a intelligent outsider Labour view.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited August 2013
    @tim

.. a docile acceptance of a stalled deficit reduction and an increase in govt spending you seem to have given up completely on the initial aims of the govt...

tim, your conclusions are totally at odds with the facts. Here are some figures from todays Public Sector Finances Bulletin which show the truth.
    LONG RUN FISCAL INDICATORS: PERCENTAGE OF GDP                   

Fiscal PSCB PSNB PSNB PSND PSCB PSNB PSND
    Year ex ex ex all ex

Labour: Gordon Brown/Alistair Darling
    2007/08 -0.41% 2.58% 2.58% 36.8% -0.40% 2.58% 43.2%
    2008/09 -3.49% 6.86% 6.86% 44.6% -2.54% 5.28% 149.1%
    2009/10 -7.59% 10.97% 10.97% 56.4% -5.95% 8.98% 151.7%

Coalition: George Osborne
    2010/11 -6.69% 9.27% 9.27% 65.9% -4.94% 7.50% 147.2%
    2011/12 -5.82% 7.67% 7.67% 71.1% -4.00% 5.89% 139.3%
    2012/13 -5.58% 5.23% 7.43% 74.2% -4.52% 4.18% 137.6%

GDP = Gross Domestic Product
    PSCB = Public Sector Current Budget
    PSNB = Public Sector Net Borrowing
    PSND = Public Sector Net Debt
    "ex" = excluding financial interventions
    "ex all" = excluding financial interventions; Royal Mail
    Pension Assets & Liabilities; and, BoE Asset
    Purchase Facility transfers.

If you are confused by the above table, it can be simplied:
    Labour (Brown)                         
    2007 Deficit & debt ratios UP
    2008 Deficit & debt ratios UP
    2009 Deficit & debt ratios UP

Coalition (Osborne)
    2010 Deficit & debt ratios DOWN
    2011 Deficit & debt ratios DOWN
    2012 Deficit & debt ratios DOWN
    The only exception to the downward trend under Osborne being PSND ex where the ratio to GDP has risen, but you should note this is a subset of PSND and aggregate debt ratio levels are falling under the Coalition.
  • Options

And has Avery still not confirmed or denied whether he's that block who wrote that article in the Telegraph?

It is not me, ar,

It may have been my cousin Seth O. Logue, but I can't confirm this as he is currently enjoying an incommunicado family holiday in Cleethorpes.

Switching off one's mobile on holiday seems to be in vogue this year.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    My experience of Australian gay men is that they aren't at ease with their sexuality, never mind the straight ones.
  • Options
    "Four by elections tomorrow ... two in Scarborough, one in Lincoln, and another in Doncaster. "

https://twitter.com/PurpleColumnist/status/370243333031206912
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Evening all. Whilst the July figures were a little disappointing ...

Not really David. It is just that the ONS figures have become so opaque with exclusions and adjustments and EU reclassifications that it is now impossible to see the wood for the trees.

If I were to tell you that there was a company which had increased its revenues by 10.3% (year on year) in the first four months of the year; that its expenses had only increased by 4.3%; and that the difference between the two was £9.3 bn, you might be impressed.

If I was also to tell you the company had also increased its net cash balances by £4.9 bn, at the same time as increasing its net investments by 146.3%, you would probably be bribing me to identify the company so that you could buy in.

Yet those are the true figures released for UK plc this morning.

[P.S. Growth % in investments overstated due to Royal Mail impact on April 2012 figures but direction of movement if not quantum valid].
  • Options

isam said:

A Derbyshire one. People can probably guess if I was to say I'm a part-owner of an improbably-painted 8F. (*) ;-)

I worked on trackwork and civil engineering, which was great fun. I left the operations to other people. It was great fun as we were extending the line, clearing vegetation, having massive bonfires, and laying track. And who can forget the epic drinking sessions. If you work hard, you have to play hard. It's the law.

A great bunch of people. too many of whom are no longer with us. :-(

(*) Which I still have not travelled behind. I need to go to the Great Central sometime to rectify that, and to remember Vince, Reg and others. God bless 'em all.
    Very nice, indeed. Mr Jessop!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

According to Mick and Divvie there are no trainspotters in Scotland!
  • Options
    I think conservatives.com may have had some usability testing. The little arrows you have to click on are now big arrows and have text!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

Not really David. It is just that the ONS figures have become so opaque with exclusions and adjustments and EU reclassifications that it is now impossible to see the wood for the trees.

If I were to tell you that there was a company which had increased its revenues by 10.3% (year on year) in the first four months of the year; that its expenses had only increased by 4.3%; and that the difference between the two was £9.3 bn, you might be impressed.

If I was also to tell you the company had also increased its net cash balances by £4.9 bn, at the same time as increasing its net investments by 146.3%, you would probably be bribing me to identify the company so that you could buy in.

Yet those are the true figures released for UK plc this morning.

[P.S. Growth % in investments overstated due to Royal Mail impact on April 2012 figures but direction of movement if not quantum valid].
    As you say the figures are so opaque there is something for everyone. Curiously enough I almost agree with Tim on this. The first budget should have frozen benefits, attacked pensioner fripperies and the money saved should have been ploughed into capital investment then. The major pause in capital investment initiated by Darling did horrendous things to our construction industry and had big knock on effects on growth and employment.

We now seem to be getting to a position where capital investment is improving in the context of increasing income and a better grip on public spending. The underlying accounts are therefore much better but of course this is on a relative rather than absolute scale. Debt, in reality, continues to climb.

This is clearly an improvement but 3 years to get to this point puts George in the B class rather than the A*, especially on Gove's new, more demanding scale.

• Options
    Anyone got the latest odds on Clegg surviving as leader till next election?

Genuinely curious as we might see some movement soon so it might be worth a punt for some.
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    tim said:

"However, only 37% agree with the view advanced by some ministers and officials that it was appropriate to detain Mr Miranda on the grounds that he might have information useful to terrorists. A slightly large number, 44%, thought the police action inappropriate as Mr Miranda was not actually engaged in terrorism."

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/08/21/public-divided-over-miranda-detention/

Would seem to be logical.The reaction of intelligent PBers as well.

Agree. And given the massive PR exercise the Govt has been engaging in over the last day (with its allies on this issue) to back up the action, the numbers probably flatter the Govt.

The pressure will ease on the Govt from now because Syria has taken the lead news, but both security forces and Govt must know that this kind of thing can never happen again in the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    PPP Louisiana GOP primary 2016

•Rand Paul 18% (8%)
    •Jeb Bush 17% (9%)
    •Paul Ryan 11% (7%)
    •Chris Christie 10% (11%)
    •Bobby Jindal 10% (14%)
    •Ted Cruz 8%
    •Marco Rubio 8% (21%)
    •Rick Santorum 5%
    •Susana Martinez 0% (1%)
    •Someone else/Not sure 13% (8%)
  • Options
    MBoy said:

The pressure will ease on the Govt from now

Maybe, maybe not, but the pressure is only going to increase on Clegg.

The reaction on the lib dem blogosphere has been absolutely excoriating with only a few of Clegg's spinners prepared to put their heads above the parapet and fully support him.

This is yet another repeat of his frankly bizarre misreading of his own party's mood on issues such as these and he is in line for another very bruising conference.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Has anyone else been to south east Sicily? I'm here doing a Times travel piece. And it's weird. Mafia cement works frowning at hidden baroque cities. A strange maudlin silence reigning over ruined villages. An air of almost post apocalyptic loneliness edged with intense antique beauty,

Mind you, I've only been here an hour,

LOL Sean, excellent.

• Options
    edited August 2013

dr_spyn said:

According to Mick and Divvie there are no trainspotters in Scotland!
    You Britntats are obsessed with borders and nationalities, ain't ye?
    I'm aware there's a thriving heritage railway industry in Scotland; in fact they probably display a higher level of 'professionalism' than UKIP Scotland (or whatever wanky moniker they trade under - SNIP, Scottish Non Independence Party?).
  • Options
    tim said:

Benteke again for Villa.
    Arguably Belgium have more world class footballers at the moment than England have produced in twenty years

And who are Scotland's next opponents? Gulp.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

As you say the figures are so opaque there is something for everyone. Curiously enough I almost agree with Tim on this. The first budget should have frozen benefits, attacked pensioner fripperies and the money saved should have been ploughed into capital investment then. The major pause in capital investment initiated by Darling did horrendous things to our construction industry and had big knock on effects on growth and employment.

We now seem to be getting to a position where capital investment is improving in the context of increasing income and a better grip on public spending. The underlying accounts are therefore much better but of course this is on a relative rather than absolute scale. Debt, in reality, continues to climb.

This is clearly an improvement but 3 years to get to this point puts George in the B class rather than the A*, especially on Gove's new, more demanding scale.

I would agree that benefits should have had their increase capped in 2015 to the same rise in public sector incomes.

Pension fripperies would have been more difficult as the falls in living standards and earnings from savings hits this group the most, especially in a period where cost inflation of essentials (food, energy) was runnning much higher than the headline indices. The logical solution would have been to cancel the fripperies in return for a one off higher than normal rise in the state pension, but I would be surprised if the savings from abolishing the fripoeries would have enabled much of real rise in the pension. The problem with the fripperies is that they have much greater perceived than real value to recipients. And perceived value is all for politicians and salesmen.

On capex, there really was no alternative but to cancel existing project commitments in 2010 as the government needed to send a clear signal to markets that it was serious about deficit reduction. The Eurozone crisis showed how exposed we would have been to market pressure and we only need to look back to April of this year when both Moody and Fitch removing the UK's AAA rating to see just how close we came to being in the firing line.

[to be continued ...]

• Options
    edited August 2013
    [... continued]

The Eurozone crisis has also seen the more hawkish austerity pressures abate as they nearly pushed the whole continent into depression. Growth rather than fiscal consolidation has become the fashion as evidenced by the IMF running around Europe arguing for increased investment. So a number of EU countries as large as France, Spain and Italy have taken fiscal consolidation holidays in order to get themselves out of recession.

So government investment as a stimulus only became fashionable over the past year; Luckily the UK got started on fiscal consolidation at a gradual pace early in 2010 and the progress made, together with being semi-detached from the Eurozone, has meant that we are leading the continent in growth without having to abandon the government's core fiscal mandate. The UK will both grow and consolidate in the short term future and generate sufficient funds to expand public sector investment. The latter won't be a pre-crisis Brownian PFI levels but at least it will be sustainable and suitable to the current state of the economy.

Debt reduction has to be a long term goal. The UK has only completed 40% of the fiscal consolidation needed to be able to reduce debt to 60% of GDP by 2030. There is a long road ahead, although bank share sales and above trend growth may see us get there in time. The key will be the political will to keep public spending at around 35% of GDP for a decade and a half.

But does that will exist in the electorate? 2015 will only be the first of a number of occasions when this question will need to be asked.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Mboy.. The train bombers were just passengers until they pressed the trigger,,
    Do try and get real
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    Mick_Pork said:

Maybe, maybe not, but the pressure is only going to increase on Clegg.

The reaction on the lib dem blogosphere has been absolutely excoriating with only a few of Clegg's spinners prepared to put their heads above the parapet and fully support him.

This is yet another repeat of his frankly bizarre misreading of his own party's mood on issues such as these and he is in line for another very bruising conference.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
  • Options
    Training seems to be a big part of the LD conference.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/conference-preview-the-training-programme-35821.html

I can't find any mention of it on the Conservatives' conference website.

http://www.conservativepartyconference.org.uk/What_and_where/Whats_on.aspx

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Strong. Decisive.
    Brian Wilson, a minister in Tony Blair’s government, said the Labour leader’s poll ratings were “somewhere between dire and disappointing” despite having been in the post for more than two years.

He attacked the “lightweight” shadow cabinet and called for the former ministers Alan Johnson and Alistair Darling to be brought back on to the front bench.

Mr Wilson’s assessment represents the latest setback for Mr Miliband, who has endured a stream of criticism over his performance and growing concern over the lack of policy details and inaction from his shadow cabinet in recent weeks.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10258080/Dire-to-disappointing-the-verdict-on-Miliband.html
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Sean

I have been to that part of Sicily on a choir tour (including Spem in Alium for those interested in such matters).

Not sure that helps from a travel guide perspective.
  • Options
    Brian Wilson, a minister in Tony Blair’s government, said the Labour leader’s poll ratings were “somewhere between dire and disappointing” despite having been in the post for more than two years.

He attacked the “lightweight” shadow cabinet and called for the former ministers Alan Johnson and Alistair Darling to be brought back on to the front bench.
    The Falkirk fall-out continues as the turf war heats up and the Blairites and Brownites prepare to do what they do best.

Who could possibly have seen that coming? :)

LOL
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    tim said:

@Avery
    Cancelling Capital Expenditure made deficit reduction less likely, as we subsequently discovered, although it was bleeding obvious.p that it would

The main problem was that Osnpborne went from shrieking about turning into Greece in June 2010 to boasting about growth being established four months later just as growth stopped.
    He got every call wrong and is now left with trying to create a housing led bubble after three wasted years

Tim this is not a housing led bubble. Over the next 2 years as growth improves this is what you will keep coming out with to try to divert attention away from any good economic news. What happened to the growth at any cost stuff you were coming out with over the past 3 years. Now growth is here, according to you its the wrong sort of growth.

Remortgages that were the basis of the Brown boom were only at 24% of the level at the end of 2012 than they were at start of 2008. Over the past 5 years with interest rates so low many people have in fact greatly reduced their mortgage. Maybe its these people who are spending a bit more money now as they have greater disposable income.

My company is busier than ever and we have increased our spark numbers by 50%. All of our work is on commercial properties with companies expanding as demand increases. It is happening all over Hampshire, its not housing market led expansion, its demand led expansion that is fueling these companies growth and hence willingness to invest in improving or expanding their premises.

Confidence is returning to the economy and that is something that should be celebrated.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mick_Pork said:

The Falkirk fall-out continues

The PB Kinnocks told us a fight with Len was great news for Ed...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

@Avery
    Cancelling Capital Expenditure made deficit reduction less likely, as we subsequently discovered, although it was bleeding obvious.p that it would

The main problem was that Osborne went from shrieking about turning into Greece in June 2010 to boasting about growth being established four months later just as growth stopped.He believed the latter, unlikely that he believed the former
    He got every call wrong and is now left with trying to create a housing led bubble after three wasted years

tim

Deficit reduction as a target, Osborne's "Fiscal Mandate" and the EU treaty obligation of all countries having a current budget deficit below 3% of GDP, is based on the Cyclically Adjusted Current Budget (CACB). This metric excludes government investment and interest payments. In other words it is recurring government current revenues less recurring government current expenses.

So to be pedantic, neither increasing capex nor reducing it would have a direct impact on deficit reduction.

Capex does however impact government borrowing (unless you are Norway and can fund it out of accumulated surpluses). And the cost of borrowing is critical to the sustainability of debt.

Osborne had to demonstrate that the UK was reducing its borrowing (or growth in borrowing) to keep market rates low. Once a downward trajectory has been established it becomes much easier to raise funds for investment without alarming markets. And getting borrowing down requires both expenditure cuts (80%) and tax rises (20%) and growth. Plans to reduce borrowing need to be more than announced: they need to be implemented and seen to be working.

It is only now that the UK government can safely and cautiously start to plan increased levels of public sector and government investment.

Growth in Europe from 2011 onwards was killed by the Eurozone crisis, which arose out of unsustainable debt, deficits and state spending levels. It should not have escaped your notice that the Eurozone has only just emerged from a continuous recession since 2011, a fate which Osborne, whether by luck or judgement, just avoided.

It is pure fantasy to argue that the UK could have ramped up borrowing levels to finance infrastructure investment during 2011-12, at a time when the markets were in full hue and cry.

• Options
    Hills appear to have removed this particular GE result outcome!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Putney, the bounders!

Early post for Belgium is up, incidentally. For my title bets it'd be handy if Hamilton won, Webber came second, and Alonso scored no points.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dont_blame_mr_ed_for_labours_failings/13939#.UhUjbEby35S

Amusing, unless you are a Labour spinner.

"Far be it from me to leap to Miliband’s defence. He is indeed a hopeless excuse for a political leader, with no vision or charisma or connection to the public, as reflected in his dire poll ratings among Labour’s own voters."
  • Options
    @Avery @Tim
    I am somewhere in the middle. The last government was the most useless and positively dangerous I have had to endure in my life time. I hope we will never see the like. In 2010 we were in a very bad place and Tim's repeated moans about a Chancellor whistling in the dark hoping to keep spirits up and the markets willing to lend us the collossal sums we needed (before we started printing it all) is a pretty poor point.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the risks were real and substantial but capital spending was cut well into the bone by Darling to try and make Gordon's insanity look something like the real world. He failed. Inevitably. But in accepting this the current government accepted spending with a low multiplier effect and abolished spending with a high multiplier effect. It is ridiculous to argue that this did not have an adverse effect on growth over the last 3 years.

Growth would not have been good while the EZ committed its complicated hari kari but it could and should have been better. If it had been we would be borrowing less now. But better late than never. Osborne could have done better but he could have done a lot worse.

As you say Avery we have a long, long way to go.
  • Options
    currystar said:

tim said:

@Avery

The main problem was that Osnpborne went from shrieking about turning into Greece in June 2010 to boasting about growth being established four months later just as growth stopped.

Tim this is not a housing led bubble. Over the next 2 years as growth improves this is what you will keep coming out with to try to divert attention away from any good economic news. What happened to the growth at any cost stuff you were coming out with over the past 3 years. Now growth is here, according to you its the wrong sort of growth.

Remortgages that were the basis of the Brown boom were only at 24% of the level at the end of 2012 than they were at start of 2008. Over the past 5 years with interest rates so low many people have in fact greatly reduced their mortgage. Maybe its these people who are spending a bit more money now as they have greater disposable income.

My company is busier than ever and we have increased our spark numbers by 50%. All of our work is on commercial properties with companies expanding as demand increases. It is happening all over Hampshire, its not housing market led expansion, its demand led expansion that is fueling these companies growth and hence willingness to invest in improving or expanding their premises.

Confidence is returning to the economy and that is something that should be celebrated.
    Tories always tell us that the long years of sustained growth and rising living standards under the last Government was "the wrong sort of growth", because it was an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom.

Now, Cameron and Osborne have tried to engineer an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom, it's good news?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Scott_P said:

Mick_Pork said:

The Falkirk fall-out continues

The PB Kinnocks told us a fight with Len was great news for Ed...
    I didn't. :)

The PB tories just saw the word "union" in the Falkirk story, foamed at the mouth about unions and Len for a while and were too dumb to realise it's actual implications.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    tim said:

Floater said:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/dont_blame_mr_ed_for_labours_failings/13939#.UhUjbEby35S

"Far be it from me to leap to Miliband’s defence. He is indeed a hopeless excuse for a political leader, with no vision or charisma or connection to the public, as reflected in his dire poll ratings among Labour’s own voters."

Big fan of the Revolutioanry Communist Party and the reason they had to start Spiked are you?
    Or not aware.
    The clue was in the word "amusing"

Still, you never were very bright.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Another UKIP policy?

Employment law should be torn up to allow small firms to sack women workers who get pregnant, UKIP MEP Godfrey Bloom has suggested.

The Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire MEP said that owners of smaller businesses were too scared to hire women of childbearing age because of maternity and anti-discrimination laws.

Mr Bloom called for the tearing up of 'draconian' employment legislation which burdened small employers by giving women the right to take maternity leave and expect their jobs back.

He said there should be 'liberty of contract' which would see a woman replaced for a job if she had children.

'Young women would much rather have a job under liberty of contract than not be given a job because of the fears some employers might have', he told London's LBC radio.

He had argued that feminism had 'done no favours' for the 'sisterhood' and that maternity rights in employment law had been bad for women.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398985/Bongo-bongo-land-UKIP-politician-Godfrey-Bloom-says-companies-sack-pregnant-women.html#ixzz2cdcNznO8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    tim said:

Floater said:

Big fan of the Revolutioanry Communist Party and the reason they had to start Spiked are you?
    Or not aware.
    Lol!

Has someone been googling "Ed" "crap" "poll" etc do you think? Or excitedly c&p ing from Guido or some other Tory cesspit?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    carl said:

currystar said:

tim said:

@Avery

Tories always tell us that the long years of sustained growth and rising living standards under the last Government was "the wrong sort of growth", because it was an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom.

Now, Cameron and Osborne have tried to engineer an unsustainable debt-fuelled boom, it's good news?
    So there is currently a debt fueled boom going on is there?

do you really think that?

This discussion has been closed.