Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson – On the Lobbying Bill

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson – On the Lobbying Bill

Hasty legislation usually makes for the lousy legislation. But for lousy and cynical legislation, look no further than the government’s ‘Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill’.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    LOL - judging by this manic article Labour are seriously rattled.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Would the EHCR let a government do this?
  • Options
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 22nd August - Con 32%, Lab 39%, LD 11%, UKIP 10%; APP -29

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    That thread header is even more partisan and one-eyed than Manson's usual drivel, which is saying something.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    tim said:

Does Alistair Darlings intervention on HS2 presage a Labour shift, with most of the PB Tories silently and sullenly opposing the govt position?

It will just show that Labour (as expected) don't have any long-term vision, or understand infrastructure and pricing.

No change there then.

The HS2 opponents are just plucking figures out of their posteriors and using them. £50 billion, £73 billion, £80 billion. Ridiculous figures with no basis in reality.

And idiots believe and use them ...

This matters. The same methods will be used against any large infrastructure projects - Heathrow, new roads, everything.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    "His desperate response through this Bill owes more to Zimbabwe than Britain."

Henry - have you been drinking?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

Heathrow doesn't require public funding, any parallel falls at the first hurdle.

Are you sure?
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jun/18/heathrow-public-funding-expansion
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Interesting article until the penultimate para when the mask slips and undermines all that has gone before.

O/T good analysis of the Miranda decision yesterday:

http://www.headoflegal.com/2013/08/22/miranda-v-home-secretary-todays-hearing-and-order/

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    So much for the big society from Dave.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Holyrood bye-election in Dunfermline?

"Labour and Conservative MSPs demanded to know how he had been chosen to stand for the Holyrood seat of Dunfermline, which he won with a majority of 590 over Labour in 2011.

The Herald's sister paper, the Sunday Herald, revealed last year that the SNP was warned of his violent past by Rob Armstrong, the brother of Walker's third wife, Diana Walker, whom the shamed MSP assaulted on several occasions."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/pressure-on-snp-as-msp-guilty-of-beating-three-wives.21945788

"ALEX Salmond last night led calls for bully MSP Bill Walker to quit Holyrood — after he was found guilty of beating his former wives and stepdaughter."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article5090973.ece
  • Options

Holyrood bye-election in Dunfermline?

"Labour and Conservative MSPs demanded to know how he had been chosen to stand for the Holyrood seat of Dunfermline, which he won with a majority of 590 over Labour in 2011.

The Herald's sister paper, the Sunday Herald, revealed last year that the SNP was warned of his violent past by Rob Armstrong, the brother of Walker's third wife, Diana Walker, whom the shamed MSP assaulted on several occasions."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/pressure-on-snp-as-msp-guilty-of-beating-three-wives.21945788

"ALEX Salmond last night led calls for bully MSP Bill Walker to quit Holyrood — after he was found guilty of beating his former wives and stepdaughter."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article5090973.ece

Result in 2011:

SNP 11,010 37.6% (+13.5)
    Lab 10,420 35.6% (+2.7)
    LD 5,776 19.7% (-13.5)
    Con 2,093 7.1% (-1.2)
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Tories reading this need to think what is going to happen when we get in power. Which we one day will whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    tim said:

Does Alistair Darlings intervention on HS2 presage a Labour shift, with most of the PB Tories silently and sullenly opposing the govt position?

Alistair Darling's intervention on HS2 presages trouble for his Better Together work. He has clearly taken his eye off the ball.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited August 2013
    The hypocritical shrieking of inept and partisan tory spinners is obviously of no consequence.

More to the point however, this so called anti-lobbying bill is of no consequence.

MPs have repeatedly proved utterly incapable of policing themselves with regards to expenses and corruption. So even if this bill had any teeth (which it does not) it would only be a matter of time before the lobbyists watered it down and changed it. Just like IPSA was systematically watered down and made supine by MPs furious that their perks were being questioned.

What will happen is that in a month, or a year, or a few years there will be one hell of a scandal with resignations and somebody is going to look quite the incompetent fool when this legislation is proved to be worthless.

There's going to be more expenses scandals and there's going to be more and bigger lobbying scandals. If enough MPs actually realised with just how contempt they are regarded by the public then they would be biting Cammie's and Clegg's hand of to make sure an effective curb against lobbying and expenses scandals was implemented instead of this toothless mess.
  • Options
    Bun-fight ahead?

" The Deputy Prime Minister has privately demanded that the Bill is not published until after the party conference season in order to avoid a conflict with his colleagues.

However, the Home Office plans to produce the Bill just three days before the Lib Dem conference in Glasgow next month. Under the planned reforms to the immigration system, migrants’ access to the NHS would be restricted to try to deter foreigners from moving to Britain for free treatment.

Downing Street originally intended to publish the Bill in September, once some of the consultations were complete. Senior Lib Dems demanded that the Home Office move the Bill’s publication date from Sept 13, the day before the Lib Dem conference. Home Office officials then offered to introduce it two days earlier. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10260738/Clegg-seeks-to-delay-migrant-Bill.html
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2013
    This lobbying bill is typical of Cammo. I would like to run up to that screen showing Cammo's big head and throw my Macintosh MK1 at his stupid face, as in the famous advert: but more, I'd like to punch his insipid head for real.

Big Brother? More like a Big Girl's Blouse!
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    why does tim think any PBer would want to see any male politician going topless,as he calls it, on a beach ... very weird
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    The lobbying bill - an another example of how the Tories seem incapable of understanding that sticking the boot in the trade unions and their members at every turn is really stupid politics. I'm surprised that it took Henry's article for it to generate any comment here after people had been complaining about it all week.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The HS2 opponents are just plucking figures out of their posteriors and using them. £50 billion, £73 billion, £80 billion. Ridiculous figures with no basis in reality.

The 73 billion figure is a Treasury estimate. Presented in such a way as to put their case no doubt and you may well consider that it has no basis in reality but it hasnt been plucked out of the posterior of anti-HS2 campaigners.
  • Options
    Neil said:

The 73 billion figure is a Treasury estimate. Presented in such a way as to put their case no doubt and you may well consider that it has no basis in reality but it hasnt been plucked out of the posterior of anti-HS2 campaigners.
    Urrrm, name another major project which has been judged by the same standards used in those Treasury figures (which are naturally unattributed). I think the answer would be none.

Note that most of the recent cost increase from £32.7to £42.6 billion was due to the Treasury moving from the usual P50 to P95 accounting, apparently a highly unusual move.

So yes, not using usual accounting practices for such projects is, indeed, plucking figures out of their posteriors. Read the IEA report if you want a laugh.

If you are stupid enough to believe the £73 or £80 billion figures, you should also ask yourself why infrastructure costs so much in this country compared to other countries. Perhaps we should spent a few billion fixing that ...

My current thinking, having read a great deal about this, is that the cost will be in the £30 to £35 billion range as long as there are no wholescale changes to the route. In other words, either some of the contingency will not be used, or it will go slightly over budget.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Urrrm, name another major project which has been judged by the same standards used in those Treasury figures (which are naturally unattributed).

Why? I simply pointed out that the figure was from HMT rather than invented by anti-HS2 campaigners like you claimed.

My current thinking, having read a great deal about this, is that the cost will be in the £30 to £35 billion range as long as there are no wholescale changes to the route.

Well that's fine then. Can we come back to you to write the cheque for any cost overruns?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “This Big Brother Bill Belongs to Zimbabwe Not Britain”

Oh dear, Henry. - Would you kindly leave this kind of hyperbolic nonsense to Polly @CIF where it belongs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Manson, whilst the bill would appear in need of some improvement I think it's a bit rich for an advocate of the Labour Party to use the Big Brother theme. It's not like he wants to be able to lock people up for 90 days without charge or force everyone to carry an ID card.

Mr. K, you can't claim Cameron's both a vile tyrant and a big soft girly.

On a side note, it's worth recalling that many charities are political, either in party allegiance terms or in terms of spending a lot of their energy on political campaigning. It may be legitimate for them to be included to at least some degree in a lobbying bill.
  • Options
    F1: P1 of Spa begins in about 48 minutes. Nyoooooooom!
  • Options
    Tax Tax Tax

Labour plans for a ‘tourist tax’ would mean millions of families could no longer afford to take ‘staycations’ in the UK, ministers warned last night.

Culture Secretary Maria Miller and Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said a ‘levy on overnight accommodation’ would hit thousands of businesses in the tourist sector. The proposal, put forward by Ed Miliband’s Shadow Cabinet ally Sadiq Khan and backed by some Labour councils, would potentially see a tax placed on all hotel, bed and breakfast and self-catering accommodation

Similar taxes in the United States are typically levied at 10 per cent of the price of a room. If Labour adopted a similar rate it would add £10 to the cost of a £100 hotel room. A family staying in a £90-a-night room would pay an extra £126 in tax for a two-week holiday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400543/Labours-plans-hotel-tax-spell-end-staycations-hit-businesses.html#ixzz2cm63phH0
  • Options
    I am not fully aware what is being proposed in this bill so won't comment directly on content. But...if it is as Mugabeish as claimed then surely the LibDems will veto? The coalition only has a majority if the Yellows play along. Where are the 'Liberal' Democrats in this one?
  • Options
    Miss Plato, whilst I concur with your disapproval of the proposal, if Labour changed it to affect only Spanish nationals until they stop dicking about Gibraltar's border it would go down well.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Urrrm, name another major project which has been judged by the same standards used in those Treasury figures (which are naturally unattributed).

Why? I simply pointed out that the figure was from HMT rather than invented by anti-HS2 campaigners like you claimed.

My current thinking, having read a great deal about this, is that the cost will be in the £30 to £35 billion range as long as there are no wholescale changes to the route.

Well that's fine then. Can we come back to you to write the cheque for any cost overruns?
    Where's the source for those figures from the Treasury?

How the figures are reached is important: there are set ways of pricing projects, and inventing new ones (as apparently is the case with these unattributed figures) makes them B/S.

The mindset should be: "What are the costs and benefits of the project?"

The mindset is: "We don't like this project. How can we create a big, scary figure?". The same technique was used by the IEA.

Sure, write me a cheque. It may bounce. :-)

A good analysis of the IEA report that some stupidly believe:
    http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/hs2-iea-report-one-huge-turkey.html

But I'd expect nothing more than opposition for HS2 from a Green party supporter. A Green party who were previously in favour of high-speed rail, but are now miraculously against it.
  • Options

But I'd expect nothing more than opposition for HS2 from a Green party supporter. A Green party who were previously in favour of high-speed rail, but are now miraculously against it.

What opposition to HS2 have I presented here? I simply pointed out that the 73 billion figure was a Treasury one (unless you believe the FT invented it) rather than from any anti-HS2 campaign. If clarifying information amounts to opposition in your book then you're not in a very good place.
  • Options
    Neil said:

What opposition to HS2 have I presented here? I simply pointed out that the 73 billion figure was a Treasury one (unless you believe the FT invented it) rather than from any anti-HS2 campaign. If clarifying information amounts to opposition in your book then you're not in a very good place.
    Where's the official release from the Treasury giving that figure?

I've done some searching and not been able to find an official document with it on. It appears to be an unsourced briefing using assumptions that are not used when pricing other projects. In other words, B/S.

(As for opposition to HS2: I thought you were firmly in that camp. I'm still amused by the Green Party's volte-face on high-speed rail).
  • Options
    tim said:

@Josias Jessop.

You used to trail the lower govt estimates for HS2, now your estimates have risen but remain below Treasury estimates.
    Criticising the Greens or Labour isn't really the point, but I suspect you know that.

Eh, when?
  • Options

It appears to be an unsourced briefing

Yes, finally, well done, it's an unsourced Treasury briefing. Like I said, it's a Treasury figure rather than one invented by HS2 opponents.
  • Options
    tim said:

Wee-Timmy,

Why is a Scottish MP commenting upon an English Railways and Infrastructure project? Should his views be any more pertinent then - say - those of Kaj Leo Johannesen...?

Disclaimer: Genernally neutral on the HS2 project. Niether argument - for or against - convinces me....

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327
    Just a passing note as nobody else has done it - the secondaries in YouGov on satisfaction and the economy and attitudes to the parties virtually all swung sharply against the Government today. I think that just suggests a more Labour sample, just as yesterday's opposite findings suggested a more Tory sample. In reality, NOTHING is happening and Labour is steady on 38-39 and the Tories are in the 31-34 range.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    HS2 using the same CBA as The Dome or The Olympic Stadium? Wonder who signed them off.

As for The Mirror, it is a good job that their photojournalist hasn't tracked down the MP for Morley and Outwood.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Yes, finally, well done, it's an unsourced Treasury briefing. Like I said, it's a Treasury figure rather than one invented by HS2 opponents.
    It appears that they have not followed the usual accounting standards for such projects. Therefore they had to invent a scheme that produced the figures.
    The Department for Transport (DfT) said the higher figures were only arrived at by factoring in VAT and inflation, against standard Treasury guidance.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/21/hs2-high-speed-rail-cost-fears

An invention, pure and simple.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Surely there must be a cast-iron definition of a "lobby" before any bill can proceed. As MD says, some charities only exist to lobby government to pursue certain objectives. Labour's definition would be "something we disagree with." So on that basis, unions being cuddly are not included, but right wing groups, being baby eaters, are.

Indeed ... I am a well respected charity, you promulgate information, he lobbies.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    tims obsession with a bare male torso is definitely weird..who else gives a damn... scary stuff from The Cheshire Farmer....
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    @NickPalmer - You must have realised by now that we only get a microscopic disection of any poll if it is bad for Labour.....the rest are just meh!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

That thread header is even more partisan and one-eyed than Manson's usual drivel, which is saying something.

I do think the piece is fairly poorly written and partisan but the underlying message that Henry is trying to get across is absolutely correct. Commentators from every part of the political spectrum and beyond are up in arms about this bill and it really does need to be thrown out as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Just a reminder that the Belgian Grand Prix is live on free-to-air TV, so practice sessions are likewise available to watch.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, wouldn't it be better to rewrite the bill rather than axe it entirely?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Surely there must be a cast-iron definition of a "lobby" before any bill can proceed. As MD says, some charities only exist to lobby government to pursue certain objectives. Labour's definition would be "something we disagree with." So on that basis, unions being cuddly are not included, but right wing groups, being baby eaters, are.

Indeed ... I am a well respected charity, you promulgate information, he lobbies.

Precisely. Without that as a starting point - the rest is futile.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Plato said:

Tax Tax Tax

Labour plans for a ‘tourist tax’ would mean millions of families could no longer afford to take ‘staycations’ in the UK, ministers warned last night.

Culture Secretary Maria Miller and Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said a ‘levy on overnight accommodation’ would hit thousands of businesses in the tourist sector. The proposal, put forward by Ed Miliband’s Shadow Cabinet ally Sadiq Khan and backed by some Labour councils, would potentially see a tax placed on all hotel, bed and breakfast and self-catering accommodation

Similar taxes in the United States are typically levied at 10 per cent of the price of a room. If Labour adopted a similar rate it would add £10 to the cost of a £100 hotel room. A family staying in a £90-a-night room would pay an extra £126 in tax for a two-week holiday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400543/Labours-plans-hotel-tax-spell-end-staycations-hit-businesses.html#ixzz2cm63phH0

Labour have a policy?!?
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, wouldn't it be better to rewrite the bill rather than axe it entirely?

It would but there is no sign that they will do so. It is typical piggybacking; using a much needed reform bill as the vehicle for brining in additional unnecessary and unwanted legislation.
  • Options

Just a reminder that the Belgian Grand Prix is live on free-to-air TV, so practice sessions are likewise available to watch.

Cheers, I'd forgotten that.

As a matter of interest, will you be going to the cinema to see 'Rush', or is that too far before your time?

http://www.rushmovie.com/

Memory's funny - I was only three at the time, but I can swear I watched that season on TV. That is strange, as I think the BBC only started showing all the races in 1978.

Which just shows how much it's passed into folklore.

I think my oldest cast-iron F1 memory was Carlos Reutemann winning the tragic and chaotic 1981 Belgian GP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Belgian_Grand_Prix
  • Options

Neil said:

It appears that they have not followed the usual accounting standards for such projects. Therefore they had to invent a scheme that produced the figures.
    The Department for Transport (DfT) said the higher figures were only arrived at by factoring in VAT and inflation, against standard Treasury guidance.

Er no. If the Treasury do not normally factor in these things then they are not presenting a real cost. . What we are interested in is how much it is actually going to cost in the end. Unless you are claiming that government projects are somehow immune to inflation and pay no VAT?

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I recall cybermen in Dr Who (Old Who), and I must've been a similar age then.

My oldest F1 memories are Schumacher and Hill fighting for a title or two.

Rush looks like it could be good, not sure if I'll go and see it, though. F1 history is interesting but regulation and technological changes mean it's not very relevant for modern F1.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato said:

Tax Tax Tax

@Plato

Most hotels and many B&Bs and self-catering already have to charge VAT which is far higher in the UK than the rest of the EU for such services. Again no homework done by Labour and what do they want to use the money for anyway?

Country Hotel VAT Normal VAT
    Austria 10% 20%
    Belgium 6% 21%
    Bulgaria 9% 20%
    Cyprus 5% 15%
    Czech Republic 10% 20%
    Denmark 25% 25%
    Finland 9% 23%
    France 5.50% 19.60%
    Germany 7% 19%
    Greece 6.50% 23%
    Hungary 18% 25%
    Ireland 9% 21%
    Italy 10% 20%
    Malta 7% 18%
    Netherlands 6% 19%
    Norway 8% 25%
    Poland 8% 23%
    Portugal 6% 23%
    Slovenia 8.50% 20%
    Spain 8% 18%
    Sweden 12% 25%
    UK 20% 20%
  • Options

Labour have a policy?!?

No, don't fret, it's just a proposal. Labour are sticking to plan.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'Does Alistair Darlings intervention on HS2 presage a Labour shift, with most of the PB Tories silently and sullenly opposing the govt position?'

Does anyone in Labour take Brown's poodle seriously?
  • Options

Neil said:

Er no. If the Treasury do not normally factor in these things then they are not presenting a real cost. . What we are interested in is how much it is actually going to cost in the end. Unless you are claiming that government projects are somehow immune to inflation and pay no VAT?

1) VAT is often reclaimed for construction - as it was apparently for Crossrail and HS1. So including it is a large cost inflation.

2) AIUI, the reason why inflation is not included is that we have no idea what the inflation rate will be in a couple of decades time, towards the end of the project. Again, not including it is apparently standard.

So wrong on both counts.

The point is that HS2 should be judged and costed by the same method as all other big projects. Inventing a scheme that applies to HS2 only does not allow fair comparison or CBA.

Worse: there will be a time when there is a large project that you will be in favour of, and people will use exactly the same bogus practices against them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    This provides a slightly more objective view on the purposes and intentions of the bill: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0097/en/14097en.htm

I don't think that anyone is seriously opposed to some form of licencing system for professional lobbyists although there are clearly issues at the margins that need some consideration.

One of the nonsenses of recent elections is that we have fairly strict rules about spending and then trade unions spend very large amounts of money on phone banks, advertising and canvassing, particularly in marginal constituencies. This is not a level playing field and if we are to keep spending limits it seems unreasonable to me to discount the cost of a poster beceause it is paid for by Unite instead of Labour itself. This spending is somewhat akin to PACs in the US which have also distorted spending there, usually to the right in that case.

On the other hand there are enough people alienated from politics in this country without discouraging more participation. If Union members believe that Labour being elected is good for them why should they not come together and combine their efforts? I think the answer is to include the spending if it is promoting a single party (as opposed to some other TU idea) but to look at the spending limits.

Having up to date membership lists for Unions may be an ideal but I frankly don't understand why it is thought to be so important. Maybe I am missing something.

The meat of the bill is the second section. We read a lot of smug statements on here about Labour's superior ground game but very few acknowledgements about how it is paid for and organised. The way ahead to me seems obvious but hey, what do I know?
  • Options
    F1: Gary Anderson reckons the Lotus double-DRS could work in qualifying/the race, which could be handy for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For those who haven't delved into the Bill, a brief summary of the controversial bits may be helpful. As I understand it:

1. Third parties (charities, lobbyists, whatever) acting in a way helpful or unhelpful to any candidates will be limited in the 12 months before an election.

2. There is an absolute limit of £390,000 nationally.

3. If you want to spend more than £32,000, you need the permission of the party or parties who may be benefiting from your activities, since it can count against their spending limit. If they refuse it, you need to shut up or stop saying things which could be interpreted as favouring them.

The purpose of this is, I think, to prevent third parties getting round spending limits on parties by campaigns that clearly support one or another party - vote for a party that will legalise hunting, or support public services, or whatever. However, the wording appears to go well beyond that and hit anyone who has an opinion on anything controversial.

For example, if X favours HS2 and Y opposes it, and you are a group very interested in railways and strongly favour or oppose it, you will be be deemed to be helping one party and damaging the other, even if you only talk about HS2 and don't mention the parties or the election. If you spend £32,000 including staff time, you need the permission of X or Y to continue to express your view. They may not be keen since you might say something that they don't quite like - if they're well off, they might prefer to spend their allocation themselves.

It's certainly true that the larger charities and campaign groups are concerned and that it doesn't really address the more obvious lobby issue of the professional bloke throwing champagne dinners for MPs on behalf of his clients.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    DavidL said:

This provides a slightly more objective view on the purposes and intentions of the bill: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2013-2014/0097/en/14097en.htm

This is not a level playing field and if we are to keep spending limits it seems unreasonable to me to discount the cost of a poster beceause it is paid for by Unite instead of Labour itself.

Exactly, and I would suggest that any exposure of the financial and political assistance given to political parties by so called ‘charities’ and institutions that this lobbying bill may curtail is Herny’s greatest fear.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

Have any PB Tories actually got the intellect to argue for this bill?

Well, you apparently don't have the intellect to argue against it as you would rather post about someone taking his shirt off on holiday, which is obviously more important. Neither does Henry, rather than an article explaining the terms of the Bill, and arguing why it is bad, he has posted a list of other people's opinions.

From what I have seen on other blogs, this bill sucks ass. The intention is obvious: to ensure that someone (eg the Unions or a rich Tory donor) cannot set up a parallel fund to the political parties and use it to effectively circumvent expenditure rules during an election year. But the mechanism for doing this seems not only excessive but wrong in principle. Everyone, at any time, should be free to express political opinion, unconstrained by the State and even more so by private organisations.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Interesting article on a bill I knew nothing about-and now do. I like the digs at Cameron. He's proving himself to be one of the most inept PM most of us can remember so nothing wrong with Henry's embellishments.

I particularly like the screen shot taken from Ridley Scott's 1984 Apple commercial because I was in the studio with RS when it was shot.

(Carlotta-thanks for the link to the Miranda court case intro. Very interesting)
  • Options
    sjmacssjmacs Posts: 1
    To Mike Smithson. how much longer is this site going to allow Henry Manson to air his left wing drivel. a lurch back to non partizan would be the professional way forward.
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidL

You want the Countryside Alliance, the Taxpayers Alliance, Conservative Home etc governed by statue in an election campaign and their spending counted against the Tory Party's with Cameron and Shapps responsible for it?

Yes, if they are supporting the tories to the exclusion of any other party. But the conclusion must be that the overall spending limits must be increased. I think the figures Nick has helpfully quoted are too low and would restrict participation in a way that is unhelpful.

Taking the Tax Payers Alliance as an example this might get quite tricky. They support lower spending which generally makes them sound like tories but they are frequently critical of the tories for, err, spending too much or increasing taxes. When and how the spending should count may well be difficult but my preference would be for a fairly broad definition of the support and fairly high limits on the spending.

• Options
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Big news today is that Ben Affleck is the new Batman. Alot of my friends are not best pleased...
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, are you suggesting his casting is a bit of a daredevil move?
  • Options
    @sjmacs

"To Mike Smithson. how much longer is this site going to allow Henry Manson to air his left wing drivel. a lurch back to non partizan would be the professional way forward."

No need for the sock puppet . I'm sure you will have exhibited yourself as a jerk already using your usual username
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Wait even more of he wrong type of growth ?? 0.7%
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Sounds like a dog's breakfast to me.

Other news (breaking): Russia calling on Syria govt to cooperate with UN.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Having up to date membership lists for Unions may be an ideal but I frankly don't understand why it is thought to be so important. Maybe I am missing something.

You are missing the Tories' desire to shaft trade unions every way they possibly can. It's a completely disproportionate administrative burden to put into primary legislation (and who on earth benefits from it?) but they must think that every little helps.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Channel 4 News @Channel4News
    GDP: The economy expanded by 0.7 per cent in the second quarter of 2013, up from an initial 0.6 per cent estimate, the ONS says. #c4news

POLWAS

Tory Treasury @ToryTreasury
    Government output grew by 0.9% in Q2 while government spending fell by -1.5%. More for less
  • Options
    Markit Economics @MarkitEconomics
    UK Q2 industrial output +0.6%; manufacturing production up 0.7%, services output +0.6%, construction +1.4% all compared with Q1
  • Options
    Quick, send out the search parties for Ed Balls....
  • Options
    The devil is in the detail. I've no doubt that the Government had in mind the trade unions campaign to support public services without mentioning Labour. But the unions often criticise Labour for being insufficiently sound on public services, so could certainly defend themselves in the same way as the Taxpayers' Alliance if they said they are critical of the Tories too. It would end up in the courts, with frankly unpredictable results. And as tim observes, it's impossible to present the Daily Express, say, as anything other than a Tory-supporting newspaper - should it be covered? And if not, would the unions or the TA be able to get round the limit by expressing their views through a free "newspaper" launched in election year? What is a newspaper? etc etc.

I've expressed myself less strongly than Henry, who has the job of provoking us into lively exchanges. A party man, I might quite like the idea that if the unions want to support Labour, they should give us lots of money, not spend it themselves in a semi-supportive campaign. But it does seem to me to be an entry into a swamp full of landmines without a map.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

DavidL said:

You are missing the Tories' desire to shaft trade unions every way they possibly can. It's a completely disproportionate administrative burden to put into primary legislation (and who on earth benefits from it?) but they must think that every little helps.
    We do it for the sole purpose of annoying Len and his mates in Unite. I know it's naughty but it's also nice.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Channel 4 News @Channel4News
    GDP: The economy expanded by 0.7 per cent in the second quarter of 2013, up from an initial 0.6 per cent estimate, the ONS says. #c4news

POLWAS

Tory Treasury @ToryTreasury
    Government output grew by 0.9% in Q2 while government spending fell by -1.5%. More for less

That's ruined tim's day then, hasn't it? How thoughtless.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

We do it for the sole purpose of annoying Len and his mates in Unite. I know it's naughty but it's also nice.
    I'm not sure it's good politics though!
  • Options

it's impossible to present the Daily Express, say, as anything other than a Tory-supporting newspaper

The totally insane Daily Express supports UKIP!
  • Options
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Possibly not....but in truth I can't get exercised about this Bill one way or the other. But Henry is a prize ass for the comparison with Mugabe.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Very amusing article.

Those who have been campaigning for lobbying and political funding to be regulated by legislation are now, slowly, beginning to understand the implications. What is sauce for the Ashcroft or Murdoch goose is sauce for the McCluskey, Rusbridger or League against Cruel Sports gander.

At the moment we have the unions effectively able to by-pass limits on candidates' spending by claiming it's not Labour spending the money, but the unions.

Now here's a suggestion: why don't we all agree to forget about the whole nonsense and let people spend money and time on whatever campaigns they like?
  • Options
    @tim - No need to be grumpy, grasshopper, rejoice at the news.
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

tim said:

@DavidL

You want the Countryside Alliance, the Taxpayers Alliance, Conservative Home etc governed by statue in an election campaign and their spending counted against the Tory Party's with Cameron and Shapps responsible for it?

Yes, if they are supporting the tories to the exclusion of any other party. But the conclusion must be that the overall spending limits must be increased. I think the figures Nick has helpfully quoted are too low and would restrict participation in a way that is unhelpful.

Taking the Tax Payers Alliance as an example this might get quite tricky. They support lower spending which generally makes them sound like tories but they are frequently critical of the tories for, err, spending too much or increasing taxes. When and how the spending should count may well be difficult but my preference would be for a fairly broad definition of the support and fairly high limits on the spending.

So all the Tory supporting newspapers are dragged in then.

Do newspapers spend money on politics? They sell their product. I suppose if they donated advertising space the answer would be yes but not because they have expressed a view in a product they are selling.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

JohnO said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Possibly not....but in truth I can't get exercised about this Bill one way or the other. But Henry is a prize ass for the comparison with Mugabe.
    As part of a larger pattern of attacking trade unions for no particular reason I think it's poor politics. It's like they dont realise than many of the millions of trade union members out there vote Tory. Look at Pickles' decision to waste thousands of pounds just to stop trade unions subs being deducted on check-off. Madness.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tim hates good economic news...
  • Options

JohnO said:

tim hates good economic news...
    That's unfair, he doesnt celebrate bad economic news as much as some posters here used to. Pre May 2010.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2013
    JohnO said:

Tim's moved on from growth now that growth is happening.

Living standards is the new game in town.

Growth was only a good thing when Labour had it, like in spring 2010, when we were spending £175bn more a year than we were taking in to achieve it.

Of course, a £175bn deficit was never going to have an adverse effect on future living standards.

• Options
    Neil said:

DavidL said:

If that is the motive I would disapprove but there have been a number of cases in recent years where employers have used allegations that TU membership registers are not up to date or accuate to say that it has not been a valid vote etc and, entirely wrongly in my view, courts have been granting injunctions stopping strike action. It may be that a bit of clarity about what the requirements are may actually help the Unions in such situations. A certificate from the regulator would seem reasonably definitive.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

If that is the motive I would disapprove but there have been a number of cases in recent years where employers have used allegations that TU membership registers are not up to date or accuate to say that it has not been a valid vote etc and, entirely wrongly in my view, courts have been granting injunctions stopping strike action. It may be that a bit of clarity about what the requirements are may actually help the Unions in such situations. A certificate from the regulator would seem reasonably definitive.
    Yeah, I think we can definitely rule out this move as one intended to benefit trade unions.
  • Options

Very amusing article.

Those who have been campaigning for lobbying and political funding to be regulated by legislation are now, slowly, beginning to understand the implications. What is sauce for the Ashcroft or Murdoch goose is sauce for the McCluskey, Rusbridger or League against Cruel Sports gander.

At the moment we have the unions effectively able to by-pass limits on candidates' spending by claiming it's not Labour spending the money, but the unions.

Now here's a suggestion: why don't we all agree to forget about the whole nonsense and let people spend money and time on whatever campaigns they like?

Quite.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    A freudian slip up from someone about decapitation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-23797832

• Options
    Good graphic re GDP

http://twitpic.com/d9toi6
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So according to Labour it's really unfair for them to be compared to Zimbabwe (Zanu Labour etal) but it is fair to tar their opposition with a similar brush?

LOL - what was it that they used to say about principles??

Seems principles like taxes are only for the other people.

• Options

Neil said:

1) VAT is often reclaimed for construction - as it was apparently for Crossrail and HS1. So including it is a large cost inflation.

2) AIUI, the reason why inflation is not included is that we have no idea what the inflation rate will be in a couple of decades time, towards the end of the project. Again, not including it is apparently standard.

So wrong on both counts.

The point is that HS2 should be judged and costed by the same method as all other big projects. Inventing a scheme that applies to HS2 only does not allow fair comparison or CBA.

Worse: there will be a time when there is a large project that you will be in favour of, and people will use exactly the same bogus practices against them.

No the point is that people are sick and tired of these big projects being costed up ina favourable way to get them approved and then running vastly over budget. And there will large parts of the HS2 project which will not be reclaimable for VAT. So it is reasonable to include that part at least in the costs.

And this all ignores the basic point that the government has been massively inflating the supposed benefits and no one now takes them seriously about this any more.

Sauce for the goose etc.

• Options

And there will large parts of the HS2 project which will not be reclaimable for VAT. So it is reasonable to include that part at least in the costs.

But as that would just show up as revenue on another part of the Government accounts I think it's fair enough to exclude VAT (which is why the Green Book says it should be).

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, I can only reply briefly and haven't seen the precise proposals, however it seems to me that such measures are wholly necessary if there is to be a meaningful cap on political spending and we are to avoid the sort of Super-PAC organisations that are polluting American politics.

Groups either linked to one party or another should operate within them. One of the reason that the parties are hollowing out is the general abdication of responsibility from people who are happy to comment, criticise and campaign on single issues but leave the business of direct involvement in the political system to others. Political parties are an essential part of the system as they provide the key link for the accountability of the government to the electorate.

Journalists and campaigners who seek power, and power without responsibility should read what Kipling via Baldwin had to say about that.
  • Options
    And it gets even more amusing

Chris Williamson @WilliamsonChris
    UK exports surged 3.6% in Q2. Expect good Q3 too as overseas markets (even eurozone) pick up bit.ly/17Nk7mU twitpic.com/d9qddi
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    tim said:

@Fenster

Osborne boasted he had established growth on the back of that then went on to borrow hundreds of billions more and raise govt spending, while having a flatlining economy for three years.

Some people on here see 1% wage growth and 7% house price inflation as a target.

I don't claim that Osborne is an angel and he can sometimes be as political as Brown when presenting his figures, but, and this is a big BUT, I find it hard to accept any argument that the structural economy is in a worse shape now than it was in April 2010.

At least this government is attempting to tackle the deficit. Brown hadn't moved from denial stage, despite the pleadings of Alistair Darling.

Osborne won't wipe the deficit out in five years and the road is bumpy and difficult, but he has changed the mindset and just about everybody out there realises that money is tight and should only be spent wisely.

It may all still end in tragedy, but I feel a lot more comfortable under a government who - despite their own travails with spending - accept we are heading to disaster than under one who were extremely reluctant to accept the direness of the economic situation at all (and many among the Labour hierarchy still don't - go read Labour List).

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Let me ask our Labour friends three questions.

(1) Would it be OK for Lord Ashcroft to spend, say, £500K of his own money, quite separately from the Conservative Party, to buy advertising, deliver leaflets, and hire staff to canvass voters in Broxtowe, in a bid to persuade people to vote for Anna Soubry rather than Nick Palmer?

(2) Would it make any difference if it wasn't just Lord Ashcroft, but a club of good citizens of Broxtowe who, quite separately from the Conservative Party, organised themselves to raise the money?

(3) Would it be OK for Unite to spend, say, £500K from its political fund, quite separately from the Labour Party, to buy advertising, deliver leaflets, and hire staff to canvass voters in Broxtowe, in a bid to persuade people to vote for Nick Palmer rather than Anna Soubry?

At the moment, (3) already happens, albeit not to the tune of £500K in a single constituency. If, unlike me, you think there should be a cap on political spending, this is an outrage, right?
  • Options

So wrong on both counts.

No the point is that people are sick and tired of these big projects being costed up ina favourable way to get them approved and then running vastly over budget. And there will large parts of the HS2 project which will not be reclaimable for VAT. So it is reasonable to include that part at least in the costs.

And this all ignores the basic point that the government has been massively inflating the supposed benefits and no one now takes them seriously about this any more.

Sauce for the goose etc.

Projects are costed in a standard way; this method was chosen for a reason. HS1 came in on time and on budget (leaving aside the farcical 'one billion' claim, which looks like it was for a totally different scheme BR proposed in the 1980s).

Crossrail looks as though it will be on time and on budget as well (so far):
    http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2013/05/31/crossrail-a-third-built-and-on-time-and-budget/

Unless we do the stupid thing HS2 opponents did with HS1 as mentioned above, and say Crossrail's costs have increased from £300 million (a 1974 Crossrail scheme).

"And this all ignores the basic point that the government has been massively inflating the supposed benefits and no one now takes them seriously about this any more. "

Evidence?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Do newspapers spend money on politics? They sell their product. I suppose if they donated advertising space the answer would be yes but not because they have expressed a view in a product they are selling.

But that sort of argument is the problem. If there is a definitive exemption for newspapers, then the legislation is a doddle to get round - UNISON launches "Public Service News", takes some adverts on this and that (why not?) but editorially and in article coverage is heavily critical of the Tories. They then distribute it to all homes in marginal seats. The Countryside Alliance launches "Rural Champion", etc.

But if there isn't a blanket exemption, but it depends on the case, then we're back with trying to guess what the courts will do. And uncertainty is usually worse than bad law.

• Options
    Roger said:

Interesting article on a bill I knew nothing about-and now do. I like the digs at Cameron. He's proving himself to be one of the most inept PM most of us can remember so nothing wrong with Henry's embellishments.

I particularly like the screen shot taken from Ridley Scott's 1984 Apple commercial because I was in the studio with RS when it was shot.

(Carlotta-thanks for the link to the Miranda court case intro. Very interesting)

The screen shot is from Michael Radford's film , not Scott's commercial.
    False memory has always been an essential part of Ingsoc.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is all a bit of a mess.

But unless we wish to allow the same nonsense as they have in the US with super PACS, some form of control on political expenditure by those not directly taking part in elections is required.

We cannot have the restrictions on fund-raising and campaigning by political parties so easily circumvented.
This discussion has been closed.