Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunday Polling Roundup

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunday Polling Roundup

Two weeks ago Labour’s lead slipped by three percentage points compared with the two weeks before, possibly the result of negative media coverage of Miliband’s performance and a lack of energy at the top of the party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Obama's full statement on CNN, as I said, waffle:
    "We're moving through the UN to try to prompt better action from them."

And then: "The notion that the US can somehow solve what is a sectarian, complex problem inside of Syria sometimes is overstated."

Pleading
    He calls the attack "troublesome" and says it touches on core national interests of the US, but quickly adds: "Sometimes what we've seen is that folks will call for immediate action, jumping into stuff, that does not turn out well, gets us mired in very difficult situations, can result in us being drawn into very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region."

Assad is secure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23812944
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "No wonder that Dame Tessa Jowell has said Public criticism of Ed Miliband’s leadership by senior Labour figures is creating an impression of “toxic disunity” and risks handing the next election to the Tories"

Little Ed will be praying for something to take the focus off him and onto Cammie or Clegg.

LOL

Just a shame we all know the Blairites will never have the bottle to topple him, particularly while he's ahead in the polls. But at least it gives Hodges something to do for a while.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited August 2013
    Has Ed Moribund beaten Michael Foot's (un)popularity rating yet?

The figure of 24% approval was Foot's worst, IIRC...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Reasonable poll ratings for Labour if not for poor Ed.

We should have known something was up when IOS tellingly didnt declare that 2013 would be great for Ed. I await his pronouncement on 2014 with interest.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    HYUFD

That would suggest then that the overt US action will indeed be very limited but it always would be.

The least contented target is the chemical stocks This can be done by stand off weapons but is tricky. The most dangerous stocks tend to be held as separate components so a strike would hopefully incinerate those with minimal consequences. If they are ready to go weapons then difficulties increase in case of toxic release. US assessments on this may be indicated by the time of day of any attack.

They could also add with less potential consequence:

-some military infrastructure designed to make Assad lose a finger rather than an arm or leg off his military capability. For example, taking out the ability to operate from the major airbases (some of those locations are also adjacent to the chemical weapons key stores). No aircraft hit but airfields get cratered. All fixable but extremely painful short term and no ultimate military balance change, perhaps.

-Air defences as warning that we can come right through next time, even though they can pretty much do that now. This has no change on the military balance

-Some of the decision making and operational apparatus believed to have launched the chemical weapons attack, hit the physical units involved, take out some heavy rockets held by such units, take out a fuel depot and so on. Painful but not fatal.

What the world has missed is the indirect methods which the US has switched back on recently. e.g training & assisting chosen rebels (see my recent post on goings on in Jordan). There is the 'no fly zone without any planes' using the AA missiles in Jordan and Turkey to shoot down Syrian aircraft in Syrian airspace if they go into that zone(or zones one in the South and one in the North). The Syrian airforce has limited ability to counter it.

In addition the US has been somewhat effective in lobbying other 3rd parties not to get too involved, Qatar in particular got shin kicked, the Saudis have come under pressure too, though there are examples of cooperative US/Saudi actions. Bringing those guys fully into the tent is again a one step removed move. The Turkish too represent a player who have hesitated many many times, partially due to lack of US support. The Turks may have to have a role given some of the the options on the table.

Everything carries risk and Obama doesn't do risk, the guy is a political wonk but within an extreme caution approach these are all viable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And then: "The notion that the US can somehow solve what is a sectarian, complex problem inside of Syria sometimes is overstated."

"Sometimes what we've seen is that folks will call for immediate action, jumping into stuff, that does not turn out well, gets us mired in very difficult situations, can result in us being drawn into very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region."

Since when was a statement of the bleeding obvious 'waffle'?

The NeoCon way of bombing countries into peace doesn't exactly have a great track record of success.

You also said quite clearly that we should stay out of this as much as possible, and rightly so, particularly in light of this this ominous new development.
    Israel News - ישראל ‏@Israel_News 2h

Arutz7: Syria Rebels: We'll Use Chemical Weapons, Too: Rebel forces say they will retaliate for regime... http://bit.ly/15kN3UT #israel

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Speaking of Islamist extremists, statement due from Jabhat Al Nusras leader on latest goings on in Syria.

For the un-initiated this faction is one of most effective Islamist fighting units in the insurgency.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    HYUFD said:

Pleading
    He calls the attack "troublesome" and says it touches on core national interests of the US, but quickly adds: "Sometimes what we've seen is that folks will call for immediate action, jumping into stuff, that does not turn out well, gets us mired in very difficult situations, can result in us being drawn into very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region."

Assad is secure

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23812944

1 - nil to you so far.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Rule #1 of politics. Opinion poll leads are chimerical.

Labour under Michael Foot enjoyed 10-13% leads in 1980-81.

They lost by 15% points in 1983...
  • Options
    @Rod

Yes but leading by 6% / 7% is better than trailing by 6% / 7% at this stage.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Rod

It's a losing position, either way...

• Options
    The most startling aspect about the ICM poll is the surge in support for the LibDems, now standing at 16%.

Had I not already wagered the maximum amount they would allow me, I'd be rushing off to Paddy Power on this news to top up on the number of lost LibDem deposits at the next General Election being fewer than 50.
    The words "rope", "money" and "old" spring to mind!
  • Options

Had I not already wagered the maximum amount they would allow me, I'd be rushing off to Paddy Power on this news to top up on the number of lost LibDem deposits at the next General Election being fewer than 50.

I'm not sure that's where the value is in that market. In 2011 the Lib Dems lost 25 deposits in Scotland and 16 in Wales. That's equivalent to at least 35 lost deposits in those two countries alone. With the Lib Dems concentrating on the small minority of seats they have a chance in there must be a very good chance of more than 50 lost deposits.
  • Options
    @Rod

What can I say, I think there are clear advantages to the former over the latter.
  • Options

The most startling aspect about the ICM poll is the surge in support for the LibDems, now standing at 16%

If it isn't another wisdom of the crowds poll then it would be fairly surprising.

"If it is a Wisdom index poll, then the changes from their last Wisdom Index Poll from a fortnight ago is the Tories down one, with Labour, the Lib Dems and UKIP all unchanged."

• Options
    Neil said:

@Rod

What can I say, I think there are clear advantages to the former over the latter.

As I've said before, canny punters should be looking for seats Labour might LOSE in 2015, as well as gain. I think there will be a bit of both...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Yokel - Indeed, Obama's professiorial air coming to the fore, even if he does do some of the things you suggest they will not be fatal.
    MickPork - I agree, on Syria at least Obama can waffle to his hearts content!
    Mr Jones - Thanks and with that I bid you good night!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    edited August 2013
    Australian election (in 13 days time):

There have been boundary changes in Victoria and South Australia, with every seat apart from one in each state affected: Ballarat is unchanged in VIC and Grey in SA. This means 46 seats have been altered, 36 in VIC and 10 in SA.

In only 9 seats has the margin (which is the same as swing required by the second-placed party with 2PP) changed by 1% or more:

1. Casey (VIC): from Coalition 4.2% to 1.9%.
    2. Deakin (VIC): from Labor 2.4% to 0.6%.
    3. Gorton (VIC): from Labor 22.2% to 23.6%.
    4. Higgins (VIC): from Coalition 6.8% to 5.4%.
    5. McEwen (VIC): from Labor 5.3% to 9.2%.
    6. Port Adelaide (SA): from Labor 20.0% to 21.0%.
    7. Scullin (VIC): from Labor 22.3% to 20.6%.
    8. Wakefield (SA): from Labor 12.0% to 10.5%.
    9. Wannon (VIC): from Coalition 7.3% to 5.7%

No seats notionally changed hands as a result of the boundary review.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/Fact_Sheets/national-seat-status.htm
  • Options
    Stan James are offering a market on which, if any of the three party leaders will be the first to leave office prior to the next General Election.
    Unsurprisingly "None of them" is the 4/6 favourite, but of the three individuals, the odds are currently:

Clegg ............. 9/4
    Cameron ....... 6/1
    Miliband ........10/1 (WOW!!)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

The most startling aspect about the ICM poll is the surge in support for the LibDems, now standing at 16%.

Not if it's a Wisdom poll.

As part of the question for the Wisdom, ICM tell people the 2010 result, ie 37/30/24.

Being told LD got 24 is going to skew upwards what people give for LD.

ie People will think movements from 2010 can't be absolutely massive so people will be reluctant to say under 15 for LD having just been told they got 24 last time.
  • Options

Neil:
    I'm not sure that's where the value is in that market. In 2011 the Lib Dems lost 25 deposits in Scotland and 16 in Wales. That's equivalent to at least 35 lost deposits in those two countries alone. With the Lib Dems concentrating on the small minority of seats they have a chance in there must be a very good chance of more than 50 lost deposits.

Eh, are you sure? Last night in the thread header on this subject, TSE stated:

"Now in 2010, the Liberal Democrats didn’t lose any deposits, whilst the the Conservatives lost just two deposits and Labour lost five deposits."

One or other of you is very, very wrong!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Stan James are offering a market on which, if any of the three party leaders will be the first to leave office prior to the next General Election.
    Unsurprisingly "None of them" is the 4/6 favourite, but of the three individuals, the odds are currently:

Clegg ............. 9/4
    Cameron ....... 6/1
    Miliband ........10/1 (WOW!!)

Ed Moribund ordinarily would be a dead man walking, but Labour know they only need a featherweight swing to be in pole position in 2015, courtesy of the Tories attachment to FPTP...

So as long as Labour remain even marginally ahead in the polls, Moribund should be safe, and would have no reason to fall on his sword when the prize remains so tantalizingly within his grasp.

By the time the polls swing decisively back in the Tories' favour, the election will be almost upon us, and too late for Labour to change its leader...
  • Options
    @pfp

No, TSE is correct that the Lib Dems lost no deposits in 2010 and I am also correct that a year later, after they entered Government and saw their polling slump, they lost a shedload in Scotland and Wales. No contradiction there.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @peter_from_putney

Aren't you comparing 2010 with 2011?
  • Options
    "Ignoring Qualms, Some Republicans Nurture Dreams of Impeaching Obama

Representative Kerry Bentivolio, a freshman Republican from Michigan, has a legislative dream. It is not to balance the federal budget, or find a way to help his ailing state or even take away money from the federal health care program, a goal that has so animated many other Republicans this summer.
    Rather, Mr. Bentivolio told constituents, it is to put in motion the impeachment of President Obama. “If I could write that bill and submit it, it would be a dream come true,” he said this month."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/us/politics/ignoring-qualms-some-republicans-nurture-dreams-of-impeaching-obama.html?hp&_r=0
  • Options
    redteddyredteddy Posts: 16
    Little wonder Ed Miliband is unpopular. He has been subject to the most vicious person attack by the media since the attacks on Michael Foot in the early 1980s. Who is at the forefront these attack? Why the Murdoch press, The Daily Mail, the Express, the Telegraph and the Times. Even the Televised media has joined in the attack, the BBC, ITV and Sky are all guilty of joining in this disgraceful attack on Ed Miliband.

The Tories cannot win on policy so they launch these lies and distortions against the Labour Leader. Those Labour has beens, like the militant Blairite Wilson, shows that the red Tories in the Labour Party don't want Ed Miliband to live. Despite all these smears I expect Labour to win the next election. For one thing, the electoral system is heavily biased against the Tories. Even if the Tories finish 3% in front of Labour they will still get less seats than Labour. To win outright the Tories will have to poll at least 43-44% of the national vote. With UKIP still polling around 12-16% there is no way the Tories can achieve that percentage level. my bet is that Labour will win for one simple reason. They are not the Tory party. Labour has to convince the traditional Labour voter that it is no longer the Tory Party mark two.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Looks like Cameron is going to follow my advice re tactics for the next GE.

Here's the website. It's called: "HOW MUCH WOULD LABOUR COST YOU?"

http://www.costoflabour.com/

It's going to be an absolutely classic rerun of 1992. Miliband = Kinnock. Labour = More spending, more waste, more borrowing and that will mean HIGHER TAXES.

It's all very well looking at opinion polls today. In 1992 that message led to a 4% swing in the last FOUR DAYS - ie from level to an 8% Con lead in the ballot box.

If the public get the message that Miliband is weak and isn't up to the job (which it appears is getting through very nicely) then that is the absolutely perfect foundation for the above election message.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Andy_JS said:

"Ignoring Qualms, Some Republicans Nurture Dreams of Impeaching Obama
    How do you impeach someone who may not even be eligible to hold the office he purports to hold?

The appropriate legal process in such circumstances is known as Quo Warranto....
  • Options
    "Society is "losing the plot" as it becomes more secular and less trusting, the UK's outgoing Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks has said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23825465
  • Options
    Neil said:

@pfp

No, TSE is correct that the Lib Dems lost no deposits in 2010 and I am also correct that a year later, after they entered Government and saw their polling slump, they lost a shedload in Scotland and Wales. No contradiction there.

Ah, so you're comparing local mid-term apples with GE pears! They simply aren't the same.
  • Options

Neil said:

@pfp

Ah, so you're comparing local mid-term apples with GE pears! They simply aren't the same.
    I'm using past experience to inform my view of what might happen in the future. It's what we do all the time.

You can choose to ignore the information or take it into account. Personally I think election results from a period when the Lib Dems were polling poorly are more relevant than election results when the Lib Dems polled 24% because I think the 2015 result will be more in line with the former than the latter.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @MikeL

Don't use 1992 polling as a precedent for anything. All the polls were simply rubbish and the disaster led to big changes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Society is "losing the plot" as it becomes more secular and less trusting, the UK's outgoing Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks has said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23825465

When a rabbi speaks more sense than the CofE and the Conservative party put together, you know we're in deep trouble...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I agree, especially as the Labour polling lead is now shrinking as we head towards the next GE. That Ed Miliband's personal ratings are also declining doesn't bode well for the Labour party.
    RodCrosby said:

Neil said:

@Rod

It's a losing position, either way...

• Options
    @Rod

There's no need to be particularly alarmed about agreeing with a Rabbi.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The ICM Poll in Sunday Telegraph is a Wisdom Index not a voting intention poll

This is from the report.

"The poll of 2,013 people online between August 21 and August 23 gave Labour 32 per cent of the vote, the Tories 30 and the Liberal Democrats 16. The UK Independence Party was on 12 per cent."

The phrase "gave Labour 32 per cent of the vote, the Tories 30 and the Liberal Democrats 16" is the giveaway.

http://goo.gl/1sFZDj

Compared with last Wisdom Index CON down 1.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Two polls now have apparently indicated that Australian PM Rudd might lose his seat in Brisbane.

Pretty sensational if it happens, and would mean that getting rid of Gillard was a waste of time.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/second-poll-shows-rudd-facing-battle-for-own-seat-20130824-2si7r.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Why are Australian PMs not in safe seats?
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Rod

There's no need to be particularly alarmed about agreeing with a Rabbi.

I'm not alarmed, just surprised - as an Englishman and a Christian...
  • Options
    @Andy_JS

John Howard also lost his seat in going down to defeat (as tipped here by a poster based near constituency).

I dont think getting rid of Gillard was a waste of time. Rudd appears to be on course to do much better than anyone was expecting her to do.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    RobD said:

There aren't that many very safe seats in Australian politics. A swing of 8.5% would be required to unseat Rudd in Griffith so it's not a super marginal by any standards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_of_Griffith

Griffith is target number 36 out of 73 for the Coalition:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dERmb2NsbmpUNmlyOHplOTNOTE9iZVE
  • Options
    RobD said:

i) Possibly there are fewer safe seats in Australia than in the UK?
    ii) The Australian political system is not as ossified as in the UK? (marginality of seat is irrelevant to ability to rise on merit)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

There aren't that many very safe seats in Australian politics. A swing of 8.5% would be required to unseat Rudd in Griffith so it's not a super marginal by any standards:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dERmb2NsbmpUNmlyOHplOTNOTE9iZVE
    Remember, the Aussie definition of 'swing' is twice what we would call the swing required for a seat to change hands in the UK.

Rudd's seat is a marginal by any reasonable definition. It has changed hands no fewer than 8 times since 1945...

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Remember, the Aussie definition of 'swing' is twice what we would call the swing required for a seat to change hands in the UK.

Rudd's seat is a marginal by any reasonable definition. It has changed hands no fewer than 8 times since 1945...

I think I've taken that into account. When they say a 5% majority/margin it's what we would call a 10% majority, requiring a 5% swing for the second-placed party to gain.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The last British PM to sit for a remotely marginal seat was Heath (Bexley).

He had actually gained it from Labour in 1950 by just 133 votes, and in 1966 he sat on a majority of just 2,000 odds votes (4%)...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Neil said:

OK. What's your 2015 LD vote share? 12%? 15%?

If we assume they go from 23% to 15%, then that means the LDs have lost 35% of their vote. Let's be conservative... lets's look at all the seats where the LDs had less than 8.5% share in 2010 - i.e. assuming an approximately 40% drop in vote share (equivalent to 13-14% nationwide), then you get a mere 9 lost deposits.

This may - of course - be completely wrong. But it seems the value is on the 4/1 on fewer that 50.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    rcs1000 said:

Neil said:

If we assume they go from 23% to 15%, then that means the LDs have lost 35% of their vote. Let's be conservative... lets's look at all the seats where the LDs had less than 8.5% share in 2010 - i.e. assuming an approximately 40% drop in vote share (equivalent to 13-14% nationwide), then you get a mere 9 lost deposits.

This may - of course - be completely wrong. But it seems the value is on the 4/1 on fewer that 50.
    Do the low vote shares drop proportionally like that? Obviously doing normal UNS doesn't work because they end up negative, but the proportional thing may not work either.
  • Options
    Martin Boon of ICM: "... if it carries on like this it’s hard not to think that we’ll be seeing Conservative polling leads very soon."
    I wonder what effect that will have on IndyRef polling and betting?

Con polling leads would probably mean the end of the excellent 6.2 you can currently get on Yes over at Betfair. Luckily wise punters managed to get a half decent sum on with Hills at the old 5/1 price.

If there are consistent and significant Con leads come late summer next year then IndyRef turnout will be through the roof. Ironically, Darling's outstanding work undermining Ed Miliband internally is likely to have a bigger effect on the IndyRef outcome than his official job as leader of the Bitter Together campaign.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Neil said:

According to Martin Baxter's Electoral Calculus, the Lib Dems are on course to lose 43 deposits in Scotland alone:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_scot.html

If that is anywhere near accurate, and I suspect it is, then they only need to lose 7 in the whole of England and Wales. And they are likely to lose at least 7 in Wales alone.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

i) Possibly there are fewer safe seats in Australia than in the UK?
    ii) The Australian political system is not as ossified as in the UK? (marginality of seat is irrelevant to ability to rise on merit)
    I think you will find that it is actually ozzified.....
  • Options
    If it is a Wisdom Poll it's very naughty of the Telegraph not to say so. Anyone would think they were deliberately seeking to mislead people. And I am sure that can't be the case, can it?

With YouGov it seems that Labour has been getting slightly bigger leads over the last fortnight than it had been in the one previous to that. But. I could be wrong as I have not been following things that closely.

Finally, given the remarkable stability in Labour's vote share and the relentlessly negative coverage of EdM there has been over the summer I am beginning to wonder whether Ed is Crap is actually built into the Labour share to quite a large extent. And if that is the case, the Tory courting of the UKIP vote makes much more sense: they've - probably quite correctly - realised they have no chance at all of making any real headeay with the 35% to 40% of the population that can be described as centre-left and which has, in most parts of England (except, perhaps, in Tory/LD marginals) swung pretty irrevocably behind Labour.
  • Options
    To continue, the Tory strategy is pretty clearly all about frightening current UKIPers into voting Tory to keep Ed out, while reassuring them that the Tories are sufficiently right wing to merit their support

What we have in England, therefore, are two parallel political conversations taking place: Tories to base and UKIPers; Labour to base and 2010 LDs. And never the twain shall meet. What it may well all boil down to is turnout. And here Tory toxicity may favour Labour. If the opiion polls are correct the pool of anti-Tory voters out there remains larger than the pool of anti-Labour ones.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

To continue, the Tory strategy is pretty clearly all about frightening current UKIPers into voting Tory to keep Ed out, while reassuring them that the Tories are sufficiently right wing to merit their support

What we have in England, therefore, are two parallel political conversations taking place: Tories to base and UKIPers; Labour to base and 2010 LDs. And never the twain shall meet. What it may well all boil down to is turnout. And here Tory toxicity may favour Labour. If the opiion polls are correct the pool of anti-Tory voters out there remains larger than the pool of anti-Labour ones.

Most of Labour's conversations in recent weeks have been internally towards Ed Miliband. And not particularly helpful conversations, either...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Neil said:

Rule #1 of politics. Opinion poll leads are chimerical.

Labour under Michael Foot enjoyed 10-13% leads in 1980-81.

They lost by 15% points in 1983...
    I wonder if George Osborne knew that when he briefed the press that Cameron has already won the IndyRef?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned that 21 months from the GE that poor old Ed's polling is so crap that he might politically become an IDS lookalike !!

PB Coalitionistas now need to ensure a determined effort is made to :

"Save Ed For The Nation Until 2015"
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The conclusion has to be that if Labour chose a new leader without the negative ratings of Ed the contest would be done and dusted. It's got to be tempting
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited August 2013
    I've updated the thread header, Mike's emailed me to say the ICM poll is a Wisdom index poll
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    YouGov:

Looking forward to the next election in 2015, who would you trust more to run the British economy after 2015?
    Cameron/Cons: 35 (+1)
    Miliband/Lab: 28 (-2)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/9ytf2ekflo/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-230813.pdf
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

Kindly do not shout at us in bold on a Sunday morning .... and especially at those of us who enjoyed a particularly wonderful but mighty long Saturday luncheon !!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    FinishED.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Roger said:

The conclusion has to be that if Labour chose a new leader without the negative ratings of Ed the contest would be done and dusted. It's got to be tempting

But some new leaders are more equal than others.

Would they select a better leader? Recent history may make you question that. The last two selections lacked perfection.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned that 21 months from the GE that poor old Ed's polling is so crap that he might politically become an IDS lookalike !!

You are talking about a party that would not even challenge a lunatic like Gordon Brown when the books since the election show that a large part of his cabinet doubted his sanity and thought he was imperalling the country. Ed is safe.

In fact my theory is that poor Ed is being used as a bit of a lightning pole. The difference between the wisdom index and the current polling is quite marked as is the increasing lead on economic competence. So many people think I would like to vote Labour but I have reservations and blame the current leadership.

The lack of policies or even clear principles is also a mistake. It allows his enemies (most of whom are in the Labour party) to define him instead of him defining himself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

You are talking about a party that would not even challenge a lunatic like Gordon Brown when the books since the election show that a large part of his cabinet doubted his sanity and thought he was imperalling the country. Ed is safe.

In fact my theory is that poor Ed is being used as a bit of a lightning pole. The difference between the wisdom index and the current polling is quite marked as is the increasing lead on economic competence. So many people think I would like to vote Labour but I have reservations and blame the current leadership.

The lack of policies or even clear principles is also a mistake. It allows his enemies (most of whom are in the Labour party) to define him instead of him defining himself.
    We must earnestly hope and pray that your analysis that "Ed is safe" is as a stuck on certainty as Mike Smithson's number one hairpiece in a gale force wind.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    RodCrosby said:

Has Ed Moribund beaten Michael Foot's (un)popularity rating yet?

The figure of 24% approval was Foot's worst, IIRC...

Harry Phibbs @harryph
    In 2003 IDS had 30% approval as Tory leader. icmresearch.com/pdfs/2003_octo… Ed Mili now has 20% approval as Labour leader. cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_upload…
  • Options
    @Philiph

"Would they select a better leader? Recent history may make you question that. The last two selections lacked perfection."

I agree that the last two selections lacked perfection.

I might even go further and say they were some way short of being the cats pyjamas.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is just possible that the Labour party has learnt a bit, but I think you are right and Ed is safe.

The danger of being an incoherent and disunited party that doesnt know what it believes in or is planning to do is that they will gain power then try to figure out what to do at that point. It could be the beginning of a shambolic government. A repeat of the 1992 Major govt in the mirror.

I still like Ed M though. The rest of the front bench are to blame for being witless, disunited and largely talentless. EdM is leading a disunited rabble.
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited August 2013
    It's interesting that Martin Boon believes negativity about Ed should lead to polling leads soon. I wonder how he would define "very soon". Given how relentless the criticism has been over the summer (deservedly so, I might add) it is amazing what little effect it has had on the Labour vote share.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited August 2013
    The voting intention (VI) position is very stable and has been for a long time. What could shake it up? I suggest there is a fairly short but important list:
    1. The party conferences. Two of them left (plus Labour's spring one). Generally they give a short-term boost to each party in turn which then evaporates. Occasionally one goes horribly wrong.
    2. Edited
    3. The economy. If it got much better and people started to feel it personally, or it slumped back and people felt the strategy had flopped, it could affect VI. So far people think it's got a bit better but it's not affected VI. Today's YouGov findings confirm the current view that things are a bit better but the Government hasn't especially helped.
    4. The Scottish referendum. A No vote (which seems the more probable outcome) will probably benefit Cameron in England - presiding over the non-dissolution - and Labour in Scotland - as the SNP argue over what to do next.
    5. The Euros. UKIP have high expectations to meet. If they do, it should help 2015 publicity, if they don't it will seriously damage coverage thereafter.
    6. Labour's union link. The spring conference is likely to be organised to succeed, with UNITE onside. It could unravel, or it could give Ed a boost.
    7. The election campaign. Occasionally this makes a big difference, but usually the frenetic efforts largely cancel out.
    8. Black swans. By definition we have no idea. They aren't as frequent in terms of what affects VI as one might think, though.

And that's about it, isn't it? The Labour lead of 6-7% is tight enough to make these events/issues potential game-changers, but Cameron probably needs a Tory lead of 3+ to have a reasonable chance of staying on. It should be fairly clear by next autumn, since 1,2,4,5,and 6 will all be out of the way.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    Labours choices.
    Burnham..no way
    Balls..He is a cracked bell.
    Cooper..ditto.
    The eagles..will never land.
    Twigg..useless.
    Reeves..too robotic..
    Tims avatar .. he spoke the truth.
    Abbott ... purleese.
    These are the more prominent members of the Shadow Cabinet...
    Ed is safe
  • Options

It is just possible that the Labour party has learnt a bit, but I think you are right and Ed is safe.

The danger of being an incoherent and disunited party that doesnt know what it believes in or is planning to do is that they will gain power then try to figure out what to do at that point. It could be the beginning of a shambolic government. A repeat of the 1992 Major govt in the mirror.

I still like Ed M though. The rest of the front bench are to blame for being witless, disunited and largely talentless. EdM is leading a disunited rabble.

DavidL said:

JackW said:

And what he doesn't need right now is starting an internal war about union funding - but he's done it anyway. If there was going to be a lightning rod you wouldn't want to be holding - its that one.

This was an issue for his first year as leader - not his third/fourth. Even Blair would have trouble with this one, and Ed is no Tony.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    I'd not expect to see a Conservative lead (bar one or two outliers) this year. Just a continued downward drift in Labour's lead.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @NickPalmer.

9. Time. Pollsters ask their respondents how would they vote if there were a general election tomorrow. That's a hypothetical question today. When it's non-hypothetical, some people may well answer it differently based on priorities that seem more important then.

I'd agree, however, that the position should be fairly clear by next Autumn.
  • Options
    @RichardDodd

Mr Burnham appears to be getting tacit support in all sorts of places - that he's Dr Death in the PR Dept is clearly immaterial.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Unpopular leader (Miliband) against unpopular party (Conservatives) - which one will win out??
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Intriguing setup at Spa. Rain possible, Lotus and Ferrari looked faster in dry conditions but start 7-10th, McLaren's improved but Button will have a hard time hanging onto 6th and the Williams/Toro Rossos start at the back.
  • Options
    Andy Burnham isn't exactly looking great on Sky News at the moment.
  • Options
    Plato..Re Burnham..Crosby must be just waiting.. patiently
  • Options
    I remember OGH's previous wisdom on distrusting polls over the summer and the party conference season - let's see what October brings...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

I'm starting to get a wee bit concerned that 21 months from the GE that poor old Ed's polling is so crap that he might politically become an IDS lookalike !

I don't think Ed Milliband is particularly good or particularly bad. Some political leaders are outstanding and some are incompetent. Most look good or bad because they're in the right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time. He's in the latter category. Labour can't shake off the fact that floating voters blame them for the last recession. There will come a time when that ceases to matter.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Roger said:

But some new leaders are more equal than others.

Would they select a better leader? Recent history may make you question that. The last two selections lacked perfection.
    It wouldn't matter who they had chosen.
  • Options
    Roger said:

IIRC Survation polled some hypotheticals and none of the alternatives seemed to improve their VI numbers. I guess you could argue that the leader ratings aren't showing up in VI yet but will later, but against that it's by no means certain that a different leader would hold the VI Ed Miliband has, especially if they were associated with one of the various things that ticked off left-liberal people under New Labour and made them vote LibDem in 2010.
  • Options
    The underlying problem for Labour is the fact that it did not choose it's curent leader, it is powerless to so in the future..
  • Options

Pretty consistently since 1945, more people have identified with Labour than Conservatives. But, Labour finds it harder than the Conservatives to get its identifiers to vote for it. Broadly, people think Labour have their hearts in the right place, but the Conservatives are more reliable on the economy.
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited August 2013
    Cameron and the Tories could easily undermine UKIP. All they have to do is to persuade our party members and activists that the Conservatives are serious about our leaving the EU. However, because Cameron's view is that the UK should stay in, that option is not available.

Is the stratagey really to try to 'frighten' the semi-politically-interested UKIP/tory waverers into vote tory? That feels like a tough and unattractive approach.

FWIW, I think exactly the opposite attitude might work better. DC should go out of his way to pay respect to the views of all his political opponents, especially UKIP. Being genuinely generous and 'inclusive' would be much more effective? And wouldn't lose him the centre ground?

But he is nowhere near this approach. That, not UKIP, is what will cost him the next GE?
  • Options
    What the Wisdom Index is currently pointing to is a pretty large Labour majority. Can't see it myself.
  • Options
    There's nothing that much wrong with Ed Miliband. He's a bit undynamic and has not shown much consistency in messaging, but he seems intelligent, reasonably personable and is slowly hauling together a policy platform for the next election.

A lot of the polling reflects the public's justified general distrust of politicians at present.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    "Has Ed Moribund beaten Michael Foot's (un)popularity rating yet?"

I think it's important to see why a leader is unpopular before deciding it's terminal.

Michael Foot walked with a limp. He wanted to do away with our nuclear deterrent and was considered a crypto-communist. The public weren't ready for him.

IDS was so bumbling and inarticulate the public thought him a bufoon. I think he still could have won if his party wasn't so unpopular though he could do nothing about appearing dithering and stupid

Brown was seen as a Chancellor not a PM. Super-inarticulate and geekish but could and would have won easily if he hadn't shown himself to be so useless when in office.

Ed is quite simply unproven. Apart from personal prejudices there is no reason for his ratings to be so low. In my opinion with some good advice they could easily rise as quickly as they fell

• Options
    edited August 2013
    As everyone now realises, McClusky chose the current leader and in doing so demonstrated that ordinary voting members of the party count for nothing, to be ignored..The Labour Party got the leader it deserved.
    It must seriously P** off the ordinary members, the ones who feel passionately about the party, all a little Soviet for some of them.
  • Options
    Nick Cohen on the LibDems and being err liberals

"As you must have noticed, selling out means shutting up. An occasionally shrill but always pertinent voice has vanished from "our national conversation". As the broken manifesto promises remind us, whenever New Labour or the old Conservatives went along with the security establishment and proposed an attack on basic freedoms, the Liberal Democrats would explode.

You did not have to agree with them to be glad they were there. You might have thought that the police needed new powers to combat terrorism. You might have thought that the Liberals were gibbering paranoids. But you still ought to have been grateful that one major party obliged the authorities to justify themselves. The Liberal Democrats could say with pride that they kept the state honest.

And now they don't. Liberal Democrat ministers do little or nothing as scandals break about secret courts, the snoopers' charter and the detention of the partners of journalists under the Terrorism Act. They are so shameless that Nick Clegg's aides boasted to the Financial Times that the deputy prime minister had personally approved plans to force our sister paper, the Guardian, to destroy a hard disk containing Ed Snowden's leaked secrets on state surveillance. I remember a time, not so long ago, when the Lib Dems worried about the secret state. But that was another age..." http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/24/lib-dems-no-longer-radical
  • Options
    Oh dear, I agree with Roger.
  • Options
    tim said:

So no VI poll movement.
    ICM making fools of themselves for a customer is unusually stupid on their behalf, the sample size was the giveaway, Boon seemed more interested in editorialising.

To be fair, we don't know the question he was asked or whether what he said was part of a much wider, caveat-heavy answer. Given the Telegraph has misrepresented the poll, it's not a stretch to conclude the pollster was also misrepresented. It would be interesting to know what Boon means by "very soon" though. I'd have expected a much more significant decline in Labour vote share given the negative coverage of EdM over the last few weeks. That it has not happened says to me that Labour probably can realistically now count on a minimum 34%-36% at the next GE.

• Options
    Roger said:

"Has Ed Moribund beaten Michael Foot's (un)popularity rating yet?"

I think it's important to see why a leader is unpopular before deciding it's terminal.

Michael Foot walked with a limp. He wanted to do away with our nuclear deterrent and was considered a crypto-communist. The public weren't ready for him.

IDS was so bumbling and inarticulate the public thought him a bufoon. I think he still could have won if his party wasn't so unpopular though he could do nothing about appearing stupid

Brown was seen as a Chancellor not a PM. Super-inarticulate and geekish but could and would have won easily if he hadn't shown himself to be so useless when in office.

Ed is quite simply unproven. Apart from personal prejudices there is no reason for his ratings to be so low. In my opinion with some good advice they could easily rise as quickly as they fell

There's a lack of charisma at the core of the problem, but beyond that the leadership ratings tend to be self-reinforcing. If you hear he's not very popular, you give him low ratings when asked, because the job of a leader of the opposition is to win, which sounds like it needs you to be popular. In theory you could get a positive self-reinforcing cycle instead, but I think that's hard to see unless he starts looking like a dead cert for PM, which is pretty unlikely of, as looks likely, the Con ratings are getting gradually better (but not enough for Con to actually win).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is just possible that Unite is less keen on EdM than it was.

The loss of union friends of EdM is probably more important than parliamentary support; which was thin at best.

Of the alternatives, I think Burnham is best, but as I am no longer a member so get no say on the Labour leadership.

If there were a defenestration* then who would the Union barons support? My hunch would be the curiously quiet Ed Balls (or Mrs Balls).

*on my recent rail trip I visited Prague castle and saw the window where the prague noble defenestrated the Hapsburg governers. The governers survived the fall, won the war, and publicly executed the nobles in the old town square. Hapsburg rule continued for centuries.

A lesson to read for all would be defenestration thinking labour nobles!

The underlying problem for Labour is the fact that it did not choose it's curent leader, it is powerless to so in the future..

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    On E. Miliband - he's very safe, I suspect. Labour dislikes axing leaders, and is thoroughly incompetent at doing so. The potential replacements are middling at best and some (Balls) would be worse. Time is short for such a move and would require decisiveness.

The next election could be a weird one.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JackW said:

Where IDS lost it was that his MPs panicked when he was trounced weekly at PMQs. IDS did quite well at the ballot box and there is no evidence Howard did better on polling day. We vote for parties, not presidents.

This is why Labour's lead is holding up, and why none of the prompted alternatives shift polling. There is no plausible rival at the moment. Burnham and Byrne are risible when interviewed, and no-one likes Ed Balls. Ed is safe.

Until, that is, Alistair Darling reappears after the Scottish referendum, garlanded with red roses having saved the union. Then Labour's worst Chancellor since Snowden might pose a real threat to Ed.
  • Options
    Foxinsox,,Being a member of the Labour Party does not seem to allow you to choose its leader.. save your contribution.
    Burnham is a disaster for Labour..ranks alongside Balls.These deadheads have to go.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk The defenestrated governors in Prague survived because they fell into a dungheap. I'll leave others to find the analogy here.
  • Options

As everyone now realises, McClusky chose the current leader and in doing so demonstrated that ordinary voting members of the party count for nothing, to be ignored..The Labour Party got the leader it deserved.
    It must seriously P** off the ordinary members, the ones who feel passionately about the party, all a little Soviet for some of them.

McCluskey became Unite leader after Ed became Labour leader.

This discussion has been closed.