Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron and Clegg The New Blair and Brown?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited August 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron and Clegg The New Blair and Brown?

I am told that [David Cameron] has recently had a lot of “quite angry” meetings with Nick Clegg. Where once civil servants liked to compare the polite and mutually respectful dealings of the coalition leaders with the storms of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown’s dysfunctional “coalition”, insiders now say that there are similarities after all.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    They were both on holiday when Theresa May, the Home Secretary, approved the billboards, which might as well have read “Vote Conservative”.
    Wrong. They might as well have read “Don't Vote Conservative”. It is hard to think of a stunt more designed to backfire than that immigrants go home poster. The reason Clegg hated it was not because May approved taxpayers' money to finance party political advertising (after all, he likes all those Focus leaflets), but because May whacked a flippin great stamp on her party saying "TOXIC", and his Lib Dem party has to spend another year and a half in bed with the festering stench.

Pong.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    @Stuart_Dickson

That's not consistent with polling which supported the posters:

yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/30/majority-say-immigration-vans-not-racist/

And it seems to have been a LibDem minister who signed it off:

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/no10-says-go-home-immigration-van-ads-are-working-8736820.html

So I'm unclear where you get your analysis from?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2013
    'Clegg and Jeremy Browne, the Lib Dem Minister of State in the Home Office, were furious,"

If you get into bed with a dog you catch fleas......if Clegg didn't realize what malodorous bedfellowes he'd chosen then he should have done his homework. 55% of the rest of the population-according to MORI-knew what they were like and wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.

I've no sympathy
  • Options
    So Rentoul says Jeremy Browne was "furious" and the Standard says Browne signed it off.

They can't both be right.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,974
    Roger said:

'Clegg and Jeremy Browne, the Lib Dem Minister of State in the Home Office, were furious,"

If you get into bed with a dog you catch fleas......if Clegg didn't realize what malodorous bedfellowes he'd chosen then he should have done his homework. 55% of the rest of the population-according to MORI-knew what they were like and wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.

I've no sympathy

Am I to understand you don't like the Conservative Party? It just seems to be a common thread in your posts... ;-)

On-topic: the situation is nothing like Brown/Blair: that relationship was much deeper, with sordid personal deals that lasted years. Towards the end of the Blair premiership, it was obvious that Brown believed he deserved to be PM, regardless of his ability (or lack thereof). There's no chance of Clegg becoming PM, so much of that heat will be absent.

I'd be surprised if a little heat and anger didn't creep into politics at all levels - a little controlled anger sometimes concentrates minds, as long as it is controlled. Any disagreement between Cameron and Clegg is likely to be based more in political beliefs than personal ambition.

A manager of mine once pulled me into a meeting room and gave me an absolute telling-off for a mistake I'd made. Later that evening we were down the pub together. I learnt my lesson, and I never made that mistake again. Even better, there was no lingering resentment - he had made his point well. His controlled anger worked.

But we have no real idea of the situation. It is all rumours and tittle-tattle so far; we will have to wait for a few years for the first books to come out from the coalition leaders.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GeoffM said:

So Rentoul says Jeremy Browne was "furious" and the Standard says Browne signed it off.

They can't both be right.

Signed it off, then furious when that news became public perhaps?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Signed it off, then furious when that news became public perhaps?

No, never in a million years. That would be hypocritical and two-faced, after all.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Rumours of rows at the same time as the Lib Dems are trying to develop a policy of differentiation? Who would have thought?

The Coalition parties remain separate parties. The election is in sight, albeit only just. Cui bono? Pretty much everyone allegedly involved I would say.
  • Options
    @Jessop

"Am I to understand you don't like the Conservative Party? It just seems to be a common thread in your posts... ;-)"

Few things they have done irritated me as much as the vans. Up there with the anti gypsy campaigns of Michael Howard. Just the brutal insensitivity for which Tories are famous.

Having said that it was a massive wasted opportunity by Ed. It could have been an issue which helped to define him. Instead he chose to read Evening Standard polls and take from them the wrong message as people so often do from raw research.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Having said that it was a massive wasted opportunity by Ed. It could have been an issue which helped to define him.

Yes, Ed standing on a platform of "Illegal immigrants are welcome here" would indeed have defined him.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Up there with the anti gypsy campaigns of Michael Howard.

Ah no, the anti-Howard campaign was the Fagan anti-Jewish one. They weren't calling him a gypsy. Unless that was another one by Labour?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    FPT. I see the FAKE TORY supposedly an educated rich businessman from the central belt disappeared quickly after his one pathetic post. He was obviously a Tory though given his sneering about the poor and his delusions about supposed educated chums. Given the idiot believes the Tories are alive and well we can assume he is at least a sandwich short of a picnic.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Illegal Immigrants..Go Home...sounds fine to me..then maybe we can use the money and services for some Legal ones...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT. I see the FAKE TORY supposedly an educated rich businessman from the central belt disappeared quickly after his one pathetic post.

Maybe he doesn't have a huge drive to be online and here at 7:30 on a Bank Holiday morning?

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @DavidL – ‘Rumours of rows as the Lib Dems pursue a policy of differentiation’

Good point Sir. – I’m sure the nerves are a little frayed in both camps at the mo – After all the shenanigans the yellow team have got up to in the media recently, I’m surprised things are only ‘rumours’ at present and not the fisticuffs I’d have resorted to by now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Line 1 "FAKE TORY"
    Line 2 "obviously a tory".

The level of foaming incoherence is frankly embarrassing and the determination of cyber nats to hear no voice but their own depressing. On the plus side I think it will make a lot of people think twice.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT. I see the FAKE TORY

I didn't think he was claiming to be a Tory.

A Scottish Tory Surge, and I missed it...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Geoff

I was thinking about the miserable. "Are you thinking what we're thinking" campaign. It turns out 33% were but the other 67% thought them a bunch of toxic turds. Cameron then had to waste the next five years trying to detoxify which is why he is where he is now.....

....fighting with Nick
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wodger .. "Fighting with Nick".. at least there are some signs of communication in the Coalition .. whereas the Opposition front bench does not seem able to talk about anything at all, even amongst themselves.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Geoff

I was thinking about the miserable. "Are you thinking what we're thinking" campaign. It turns out 33% were but the other 67% thought them a bunch of toxic turds. Cameron then had to waste the next five years trying to detoxify which is why he is where he is now.....

....fighting with Nick

What was miserable about it, compared to the 2005 Labour campaign?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I was thinking about the miserable. "Are you thinking what we're thinking" campaign.

Ah, I was thinking about the anti-semitic Fagin and pigs campaign. I'm sure you haven't forgotten those gems.
    Roger said:

It turns out 33% were but the other 67% thought them a bunch of toxic turds.

Within a decent % margin of error that could describe every general election result in the last 50 years for both main parties.

• Options
    @davidL

"The level of foaming incoherence is frankly embarrassing and the determination of cyber nats to hear no voice but their own depressing."

It does point to some unpleasant divisions after the vote particularly if it's close
  • Options
    A very clear and thoughtful article highlighting France's deep economic problems - and the implications for the Euro:

http://www.businessinsider.com/france-is-heading-for-the-biggest-economic-train-wreck-in-europe-2013-8

It drives two thoughts from me:
    1. Thank God we never joined the Euro; and
    2. We really must do much much more to reduce our deficit and increase our competitiveness. "Rich' developed states CAN fail.
  • Options
    @Geoff.

'Ah, I was thinking about the anti-semitic Fagin and pigs campaign"

Anyone who the thinks the expression 'flying pigs' is in anyway anti semitic is frankly a fool
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited August 2013
    Good morning, everyone.

The comparison is plain daft. Cameron and Clegg lead separate parties. That's substantially different to the Brown and Blair situation.

In stupid news a thinktank wants to force the young (down to 16) able to vote for the first time to turn out, on pain of a fine, and to have a None Of The Above option: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23832607
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited August 2013
    I've long expected that around New Year 2015 two things will happen.
    a) Clegg will get some sort of post outside Parliament which will mean he can stand down at the May election
    b) The LibDems will formally end the coalition.

And if Clegg at al are getting cross with their Tory "partners" then it's no more than they should do!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    tim said:

The Go Home vans helped UKIP not the Tories.

As for hamiltonace on the previous thread why did none of the PB Tory stats geniuses spot he'd doubled the number of children in Scotland's independent schools over the actual figure to make his point?

. Was it Random or Rexel 56 who exposed your selective pasting of articles.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

malcolmg said:

FPT. I see the FAKE TORY supposedly an educated rich businessman from the central belt disappeared quickly after his one pathetic post.

Maybe he doesn't have a huge drive to be online and here at 7:30 on a Bank Holiday morning?

Geoff, he disappeared after his post , not this morning. Also note it is not a Bank Holiday in Scotland.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited August 2013
    Make the newly enfranchised vote cos they're being hit by savage cuts says impartial think tank. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23832607

And fine them if they don't turn out...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

FPT. I see the FAKE TORY

I didn't think he was claiming to be a Tory.

A Scottish Tory Surge, and I missed it...
    LOL , he did say the Tories were alive and well so think you really have missed that surge you were waiting for

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    THE other Tom Watson (not the golfer) on Oz TV tonight at 12.35pm British time, not geoblocked.

Programme is on ABC called Q & A. No mention of Falkirk I imagine, but he will apparently show what Labour plans to do in 2015 and is offering help to Oz Labor in how to fight a negative campaign.

Might be worth watching for anoraks....
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The comparison is plain daft. Cameron and Clegg lead separate parties. That's substantially different to the Brown and Blair situation.

In stupid news a thinktank wants to force the young (down to 16) able to vote for the first time to turn out, on pain of a fine, and to have a None Of The Above option: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23832607

I'm all for compulsory voting for everyone. Society grants us many rights; we should have voting as a responsibility (duty).

However, as well as a 'None of the above', I would like a 'I do not agree with this system' option.

If (say) 33% of people vote for the ISNAWTS option, a debate has to start on the voting process.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Its nearly LibDem conference, and we get this every year. The LibDem Mps, and in particular the ministers nedd to throw some red meat to their activists. As it is in Glasgow it will be influenced by Scotland more than usual.

The Tories will do the same in a couple of weeks, then the Coalition can hop back into bed together, where most of the LibDem and Tory ministers are quite comfortable.

I expect the Coalition to break up in a controlled manner at about new year 2015. Not least the LibDem ministers need the time to campaign in their own seats.

The spring Budget of 2015 will be interesting, as it will most likely be a Conservative rather than coalition one. Ideal for Tory election plans of tax cuts, but maybe not one that will pass parliament.

I've long expected that around New Year 2015 two things will happen.
    a) Clegg will get some sort of post outside Parliament which will mean he can stand down at the May election
    b) The LibDems will formally end the coalition.

And if Clegg at al are getting cross with their Tory "partners" then it's no more than they should do!

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Geoff, he disappeared after his post , not this morning. Also note it is not a Bank Holiday in Scotland.

He posted twice last night, not once. I remarked on his absence on pb at 7:30am on a Bank Holiday morning. If it's not one up there then that's all very exciting'n'stuff but 7:30am remains, holiday or not, a time that only obsessives are on here. Anyway, talking about why someone might or might not be here is trivial and banal in the extreme. Next.

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, I disagree entirely. It's unreasonable to say that a system all about choice *has* to be participated in.
  • Options
    "First-time compulsory voting could well be very effective in engaging young people in politics. There are many other things that young people are required to do, not the least of which is go to school."

She must be taking time off from writing in The Daily Mash.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/aug/26/young-people-compulsory-voting-pay-fine-ippr
  • Options
    Herr Hitler: we can act without League authority if necessary #Poland.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Is it really necessary to point out to the local kinnockry that the claim "n Scottish children go to independent schools" is rebuttable by statistics about the number of children going to independent schools in Scotland if and only if no Scottish children go to independent schools outwith Scotland?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

The level of foaming incoherence is frankly embarrassing and the determination of cyber nats to hear no voice but their own depressing. On the plus side I think it will make a lot of people think twice.

We have had on here Fitalass, Kristin, Easterross and several others who have spoken about being Scottish Tories. Yet the cybernats think that they all must be fake or that somehow their opinions/votes don't matter.

There were approx as many LD, Tory and SNP votes cast in GE2010 in Scotland - that can't be pointed out too often.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@davidL

"The level of foaming incoherence is frankly embarrassing and the determination of cyber nats to hear no voice but their own depressing."

It does point to some unpleasant divisions after the vote particularly if it's close

I suspect that even if its a No as wide as the AV vote result - it'll still be unpleasant which is very sad and destructive.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Is it really necessary to point out to the local kinnockry that the claim "n Scottish children go to independent schools" is rebuttable by statistics about the number of children going to independent schools in Scotland if and only if no Scottish children go to independent schools outwith Scotland?

Only a complete fool would try to say that as many go to private schools outside Scotland as do in Scotland. He was either a FAKE or an idiot.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    dr_spyn said:

"First-time compulsory voting could well be very effective in engaging young people in politics. There are many other things that young people are required to do, not the least of which is go to school."

She must be taking time off from writing in The Daily Mash.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/aug/26/young-people-compulsory-voting-pay-fine-ippr

This seems a bit mad, but the idea of using the fact that everyone is in school to help with training and logistics is sound. They should make sure everyone is registered to vote, has a secret credential allowing them to vote from home and knows how to use it. It doesn't really matter whether the system they practice on is a real election, a pretend one or an internal school one, although if I was teaching them I'd rather use a live election.
  • Options
    Why vote from home?

If people can't be bothered to walk a few hundred yards once every four to five years their opinion can't hold tremendous weight.

There's already an emphasis on turnout at the expense of legitimacy, with the current banana republic method of postal voting.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

We have had on here Fitalass, Kristin, Easterross and several others who have spoken about being Scottish Tories. Yet the cybernats think that they all must be fake or that somehow their opinions/votes don't matter.

There were approx as many LD, Tory and SNP votes cast in GE2010 in Scotland - that can't be pointed out too often.

Its the same tactic revisited , buttonhole people into various groups and then accuse them of being idiots loons etc. Anyone who dislikes this and retaliates is then accused of being a simpleton or a stalker.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    Roger said:

@Jessop

"Am I to understand you don't like the Conservative Party? It just seems to be a common thread in your posts... ;-)"

Few things they have done irritated me as much as the vans. Up there with the anti gypsy campaigns of Michael Howard. Just the brutal insensitivity for which Tories are famous.

Having said that it was a massive wasted opportunity by Ed. It could have been an issue which helped to define him. Instead he chose to read Evening Standard polls and take from them the wrong message as people so often do from raw research. </

You must understand that the Conservatives aren't going to waste time trying to win your approval - just as Labour won't waste time trying to win my approval. Your sensitivies aren't shared by the average voter, which is why Milliband didn't make a fuss about this issue.

• Options
    Silly season stories being brought down at low profile level...the local paper reports that the MP for Batley and Spen is considering retirement and that a couple of men are already salivating after the seat. One of them is Shahid Malik, ex MP for Dewsbury. The sitting MP (Mike Wood) sent out a statement saying he's not about to announce retirement (which isn't the same as saying he won't retire).
  • Options

Why vote from home?

If people can't be bothered to walk a few hundred yards once every four to five years their opinion can't hold tremendous weight.

There's already an emphasis on turnout at the expense of legitimacy, with the current banana republic method of postal voting.

Whether or not you approve of voting wh you can get to the relevant polling station, there are a lot of situations where you can't and would be better voting online. Doing this in a non-banana-republic way requires good control of registration, and a securely-issued secret that nobody was able to spy on when you got it. These things would be easy to do at scale in school.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Its nearly LibDem conference, and we get this every year. The LibDem Mps, and in particular the ministers need to throw some red meat to their activists.

Could some of the Yellow Peril on here give us an honest assessment of how much of the activist base has picked up its ball and gone home? There is much talk of the Tory grassroots withering like they have been doused in Round Up, but to what extent have the LibDem's loyal pavement pounders lost heart? That would better allow us to bet on LibDem prospects.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited August 2013
    DavidL said:

The level of foaming incoherence is frankly embarrassing and the determination of cyber nats to hear no voice but their own depressing.

On the contrary, this Cybernat was vastly entertained by the usual suspects treating a shiny, new Scottish Tory as if he was the prodigal son.
    DavidL said:

On the plus side I think it will make a lot of people think twice.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but not a word said on here (not even the lustrous pearls of my wisdom) will add a single vote to either side of the independence referendum.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_X said:

Only a complete fool would try to say that as many go to private schools outside Scotland as do in Scotland. He was either a FAKE or an idiot.
    It might seem unlikely. Then again 80% of Buckies (from just down the road here in Devon) is sold in Glasgow and environs, perhaps Scotland exports posho children to maintain its balance of trade?

• Options
    If the newly enfranchised are to be fined if they don't vote, would the same principle have apply to all voters? Forcing us to freely vote.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, voting online would be sacrificing security for convenience.

There are few situations where wandering down to a polling station is impossible, and provision should be made for those particular cases (armed forces personnel standing out as an example) but that shouldn't become a general approach.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ishmael_X said:

Then again 80% of Buckies

Buckies are winkles, Buckie is the fortified wine, delicious as a chilled aperitif with a few olives (so I'm told).

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I used to think the coalition would split in 2013.Now I think an engineered split in Autumn 2014 would allow both parties to develop separate identities for May 2015.
    Clegg will take anything including being a teaboy for Cameron and Osborne in his eagerness to make coalitions work.
  • Options
    EiT ..no voing procedure should go anywhere near a school..except for it to be used as a polling station.
  • Options

Why vote from home?

Whether or not you approve of voting wh you can get to the relevant polling station, there are a lot of situations where you can't and would be better voting online. Doing this in a non-banana-republic way requires good control of registration, and a securely-issued secret that nobody was able to spy on when you got it. These things would be easy to do at scale in school.
    I am rabidly against electronic voting for many reasons, including security and anonymity.
  • Options
    LOL

Sonia Hooper @Twuntman
    Things to do: 1) Invade Syria 2) Relocate badgers to Syria 3) Frack for shale gas in Syria 4) Send protesters to Syria 5) Give protesters TB
  • Options
    The ugly Nat responses to Hamiltonace's calm and informative post confirm his fears.
  • Options
    Anyone doubting that there's a certain nuttiness on the Scottish right should have a read of this.

http://tinyurl.com/k52vutj
  • Options
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

So speaks the biggest fake on the site. They have 1 MP and only have MSP's due to the system granting them some seats , they won ZERO. There are more panda's in Scotland than Tory MP's, how can you make that out to be "foaming incoherence", what can one say.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Patrick said:

A very clear and thoughtful article highlighting France's deep economic problems - and the implications for the Euro:

http://www.businessinsider.com/france-is-heading-for-the-biggest-economic-train-wreck-in-europe-2013-8

It drives two thoughts from me:
    1. Thank God we never joined the Euro; and
    2. We really must do much much more to reduce our deficit and increase our competitiveness. "Rich' developed states CAN fail.

@Patrick

Thank you for that link and very useful - shows how many ostriches there are in power. The two Eds and Vince could do with a copy.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_X said:

It might seem unlikely. Then again 80% of Buckies (from just down the road here in Devon) is sold in Glasgow and environs, perhaps Scotland exports posho children to maintain its balance of trade?

Dear Dear , typical twat response , when shown to be a complete dolt try and stick on an insult. Back to your banjo and stop pestering the adults.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

So speaks the biggest fake on the site. They have 1 MP and only have MSP's due to the system granting them some seats , they won ZERO. There are more panda's in Scotland than Tory MP's, how can you make that out to be "foaming incoherence", what can one say.
    I believe you repeatedly voted for Margaret Thatcher . Some might include you in the list of Scottish PBTories.

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    Scots have always had to leave to get ahead as the local economy has not been big enough or strong enough to hold the brightest who see the streets paved with gold elsewhere.
  • Options
    tim said:

Why vote from home?

The biggest take up of postal votes by far is by the over 65's who vote disproportionately Tory, I wouldn't hold your breath for that system to be changed.
    No matter how much you think pensioners using postal votes equals a banana republic.
    Sadly, just because Con/Lab/LD agree that postal voting is a 'good thing', there is an assumption that it must be good for democracy. It is not.

It reminds me of when I did economics at Soton in the late 60s. The received wisdom was that if the TUC and the CBI agreed on a 'way forward', it was a 'good thing'. It almost always was not. That was because the proposal often worked in favour of big employers/unions, and operated against the interests of the SMEs. And these small outfits were the organisations which were going to create tomorrow's jobs.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    As a tory I am infuriated by the way our prime minister slashes spending on defence and then casually pitches our armed forces into ever more complex entanglements.

Syria, Gibraltar, the Falklands, Afghanistan. The list is getting longer as the forces become fewer.
  • Options
    Golly @malcolmG has stood in his chamberpot again this morning!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

I believe you repeatedly voted for Margaret Thatcher . Some might include you in the list of Scottish PBTories.

Good try Monica, usual mince from you
  • Options
    There is a change in the postal voting system for 2014 (and hence 2015 too).

If you want to vote by this method, you will have to register individually in advance (according to the government's own website).

If you do not register individually, you will not be allowed a postal or proxy vote. You will have to vote in person.
  • Options
    Brown = Ed M

Vote Yvette!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Scots have always had to leave to get ahead as the local economy has not been big enough or strong enough to hold the brightest who see the streets paved with gold elsewhere.

Redcliffe, Scotland has just as many English people who have chosen to live here due to the quality of life, they may not make as much money but have a far better lifestyle overall, especially if they have sold a rabbit hutch in London and can buy a real house with change. All that glistens is not gold.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    The latest (ish) on the Brighton council Green rift:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10632561.Brighton_and_Hove_Green_Party_brings_in_mediators_to_try_and_heal_rift/

Which made another good one - one of the best - for the Argus headline collectors (a local sport):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/the-30-best-headlines-of-the-argus
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, voting online would be sacrificing security for convenience.

There are few situations where wandering down to a polling station is impossible, and provision should be made for those particular cases (armed forces personnel standing out as an example) but that shouldn't become a general approach.

You don't necessarily sacrifice security, although you're right that you'd get more convenience.

The status quo is:
    1) Registration based on the honesty system, somewhat mitigated by
    2) Having to vote in person, so it's hard to make up really large numbers of voters, except that
    3) This turns out to be inconvenient for the mobile/housebound/lazy, so (2) is made voluntary.

What I'm advocating instead is:
    1) Strict control of registration, made practical by doing it at school.
    2) A secret ballot used when voting online, using a secret known only to you and the voting system.
    3) No need for weird exceptions, be because the original system is both secure and convenient.
  • Options
    @Financier

At some point the cost of debt for big hugely indebted OECD countries will have to rise. Also we can't print money forever. This will have a fairly seismic impact on mortgages, bank solvency, markets and trade.

At that point it will become starkly apparent who has a reasonably competitive economy / some future and who doesn't. FWIW I think the UK is broadly on the right trajectory as growth returns, public sector employment falls, and wage rates become more compettive. The deficit needs to come down alot more though.

IMHO the UK needs Osborne in No.11 after 2015. For all his weknesses he is very clear that we must get more competitive and cut public spending. If Balls is in charge of the money we'll end up like France or Greece or Portugal.
  • Options

EiT ..no voing procedure should go anywhere near a school..except for it to be used as a polling station.

That's one hell of an exception to the rule you've got there.

It's a reminder how people can get used to a completely crazy system, just because it's always been done that way. Imagine you were suggesting a new system for some kind of governmental function, and it started with, "First, we shut down all the primary schools"...
  • Options
    taffys said:

There is a change in the postal voting system for 2014 (and hence 2015 too).

If you want to vote by this method, you will have to register individually in advance (according to the government's own website).

If you do not register individually, you will not be allowed a postal or proxy vote. You will have to vote in person.

Right. I'm not sure what "register individually" means here, as the process is still done entirely on paper, so the people processing it have no idea whether they're dealing with individuals or not.

I think there's also a "security" requirement to fill in a National Insurance number, which they hope will be yours, and not belong to somebody you just got off Google.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2013
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

They have 1 MP and only have MSP's due to the system granting them some seats , they won ZERO. There are more panda's in Scotland than Tory MP's, how can you make that out to be "foaming incoherence", what can one say.
    MalcomG. Personally I hope the Yes vote wins, sadly I will not get a vote.
    However, if the polls are right and there will be a No vote next year, what is your current forecast of the Scottish seat split at GE2015?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

The ugly Nat responses to Hamiltonace's calm and informative post confirm his fears.

The irony of the Nats response was not lost...! : )
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

They have 1 MP and only have MSP's due to the system granting them some seats , they won ZERO. There are more panda's in Scotland than Tory MP's, how can you make that out to be "foaming incoherence", what can one say.
    Everyone wins seats by virtue of the 'system'.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2013
    Carola said:

The latest (ish) on the Brighton council Green rift:
    http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10632561.Brighton_and_Hove_Green_Party_brings_in_mediators_to_try_and_heal_rift/
    Which made another good one - one of the best - for the Argus headline collectors (a local sport):

Organic vegan rats fighting in their fair trade hemp woven sacks? Taking place in the dark that night as there was no electricity due to no wind.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited August 2013
    If finding the time to vote is a problem, make the General Election a bank holiday. If necessary hold it on the May Bank holiday.

But this is NOT the problem IMO. Politics is too complex, frequently actively off-putting and possibly under resourced*.

*If company X spends $10millions selling sugar water, what chance do political parties have explaining difficult choices with $1million or less?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Patrick .. good article..looks like my friends in Portugal would be wise to trim their deposits in their local bank..none of them could survive a Greek/Cyprus haircut.
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/alevel-student-who-gained-six-a-grades-pens-furious-letter-to-michael-gove-over-offensive-exam-reforms-8784154.html

A-level student who gained six A* grades pens furious letter to Michael Gove over 'offensive' exam reforms

Editorial by proxy.

Do you think my 5A*s and 2As would get my letter supportive of the reforms published? I doubt it somehow - even if I had my brother's 8A* grades.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If finding the time to vote is a problem, make the General Election a bank holiday. If necessary hold it on the May Bank holiday.

But this is NOT the problem IMO. Politics is too complex, frequently actively off-putting and possibly under resourced*.

*If company X spends $10millions selling sugar water, what chance do political parties have selling difficult choices with $1million or less.

I'm not sure that low turnout is necessarily a problem. If you've got basically competent political parties, there isn't going to be an alternative that's wildly better than what you've got. If you're not that interested, you may not follow things closely enough to meaningfully choose between them. In that case I don't see what's wrong with leaving things to people who are following what's going on.

What is a problem is if there are people who would have an opinion, but they're being prevented from expressing it by some kind of logistical problem, like the system being a PITA if you move around a lot. In that case it's worth fixing the system so that it isn't a PITA.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but speaking as an overseas voter, the system is a PITA.
  • Options
    EiT..simple.. no-one trust the influence of the teachers,who would no doubt be placed in charge of explaining the process of voting..
  • Options

The irony of the Nats response was not lost...! : )
    Another value added post from you
  • Options
    taffys said:

As a tory I am infuriated by the way our prime minister slashes spending on defence and then casually pitches our armed forces into ever more complex entanglements.

Syria, Gibraltar, the Falklands, Afghanistan. The list is getting longer as the forces become fewer.

I'm baffled that we haven't used our status as an 'Aid Superpower' to sort out all these issues.

Where's Avery today?

Is he on his way to liberate Syria with SamCam or on his way to Cleethorpes with GloucesterOldSpot?
  • Options
    EiT

I'm no expert but I'd have thought it will be more difficult to perpetrate multiple voter fraud by the new method.

If you're intent on inventing ten 'voters' you'll have to find ten pseudo identities complete with national insurance numbers. Wouldn;t that involve a good deal more work, and more risk, than the old system?

Labour thinks it'll make a difference...... 'disenfranchising millions' apparently...

• Options
    Grandiose said:

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Line 1 "FAKE TORY"

Everyone wins seats by virtue of the 'system'.
    However some actually win the real seats and do not just get all their seats as losers
  • Options
    @RichardDodd

Indeed. The crunch point will most likely come in the form of a bank run / collapse in a peripheral country where the rates start to creep up and the viability of the banking system comes into question. Brown trousers time for the ECB and Eurozone countries not too far away I think. The absolute political will to keep the show on the road is there. But markets determine sovereign debt interest rates and these will rise and rise as the debt/GDP numbers head into the MickeyMouseosphere.

The endless 'we don't need a bailout - whoops oh yes we do' is a farce. The Eurozone needs a united banking and bond market. The end of nation states as we know them. This is what the architects wanted all along. I'm not sure the citizens of Europe want it though.
  • Options
    @MG

"I believe you repeatedly voted for Margaret Thatcher ........"

"Good try Monica, usual mince from you"

Is that a denial a non denial denial or an obfuscation?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2013
    Good morning and happy bank Holiday.

I don't know if you've seen this, you probably have, but as I'm late to the blog I'll print it anyway.

Nick Cohen says that the Lib/Dems are dead: I believe him. Vote UKIP:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/24/lib-dems-no-longer-radical
  • Options
    Can someone tell me if we're interveneing in Syria on Al Qaeda's side or Hizbollah's side?

For that matter which side are we on in Afghanistan?

The wife stoning, opium trading, sheep shagging side or the wife burning, opium selling, goat shagging side?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have little doubt that we'd already have intervened in Syria if it hadn't been for Iraq, and that is a great disappointment. There wasn't just one failing in the way that the UK went to war in Iraq, there were several relating to the so-called 'dodgy dossier' and other claims made about Iraq's weapons capability, what Parliament was told, over the need for a second UN resolution, and the fact that therefore the lack of a second resolution wasn't the result of other members of the Security Council voting it down but no attempt to gain consensus at all. I'd hope that Cameron would go to the Security Council for a resolution authorising strikes, because even if he can't get one the position would be better. This is all assuming that government involvement in chemical attacks is in evidence, or something similar.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    MG..Please put some trews on, a tartan skirt and nae breeks are no defence against bloodlusting savage midges...
    It might improve your mood ..but I doubt it..heheh
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

*If company X spends $10millions selling sugar water, what chance do political parties have selling difficult choices with $1million or less.

I'm not sure that low turnout is necessarily a problem. If you've got basically competent political parties, there isn't going to be an alternative that's wildly better than what you've got. If you're not that interested, you may not follow things closely enough to meaningfully choose between them. In that case I don't see what's wrong with leaving things to people who are following what's going on.

What is a problem is if there are people who would have an opinion, but they're being prevented from expressing it by some kind of logistical problem, like the system being a PITA if you move around a lot. In that case it's worth fixing the system so that it isn't a PITA.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but speaking as an overseas voter, the system is a PITA.
    The govt should be able to find a solution for people who move around. It need not be a PITA.
  • Options
    ''I'm baffled that we haven't used our status as an 'Aid Superpower' to sort out all these issues.''

Our leaders, of whatever hue, seem to lose their minds when it comes to foreign affairs. It's all that hobnobbing and telephone calls of the highest and most important nature with the President. They just cream their pants.

They can't resist it. It's what they are in it for.
  • Options
    taffys said:

EiT

I'm no expert but I'd have thought it will be more difficult to perpetrate multiple voter fraud by the new method.

If you're intent on inventing ten 'voters' you'll have to find ten pseudo identities complete with national insurance numbers. Wouldn;t that involve a good deal more work, and more risk, than the old system?

Labour thinks it'll make a difference...... 'disenfranchising millions' apparently...

I'd have thought it would be harder than if you didn't have that limitation, but it's still fairly trivial for fraudsters, while adding an extra hurdle for non-fraudsters. Like any "secret" that lots of different people have to know, national insurance numbers aren't really secret.
  • Options

MalcomG. Personally I hope the Yes vote wins, sadly I will not get a vote.
    However, if the polls are right and there will be a No vote next year, what is your current forecast of the Scottish seat split at GE2015?

TC , I am no expert on politics , however it will be a very unusual election and will depend on how the campaign and vote goes on the referendum. Unfortunately lots of people have yet to get away from voting Labour to stop the TORIES AT Westminster votes. I think a lot would depend on what was on offer re Devomax.
    If the vote is NO and they do not come up with real changes quick then we will be back to another referendum very soon. Hopefully it will not come to that but neither Tory or Labour will want to give away real powers so I believe it is only a matter of time and so hope it is YES first time.
This discussion has been closed.