Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour can’t afford a Shadow Cabinet anchored to the past

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited August 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour can’t afford a Shadow Cabinet anchored to the past

The debate on Syria has highlighted one of the advantages of Ed Miliband’s leadership. As someone who was not even an MP or in the country when the decision to invade Iraq was taken, the Labour leader is able to make policy decisions today free from some of the political shackles of the past.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    I agree with most of that.

Part of the problem is that each time they come under fire, the government creates a talking point that they can defend at that time. But over time those talking points pile up and harden into something increasingly distant from reality. Government ministers stay out of trouble by faithfully mastering the talking points, but after long enough in government that makes them unable to communicate with the voters.

BTW what was the deal with that bloke who resigned? If seems like a weird time to resign, especially for someone who stuck with Blair - was he on his way out in the reshuffle?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Cheers for a tedious thread opener, mixing obvious statements with snide partisanship. We heard about how wonderful Henry Manson thought Labour individuals were in his last hagiography, so there was no need to reprint the same enervating dullness.

Caroline Flint has been nifty on her feet over energy issues and looks like a smart survivor who can adapt.

What does that sentence add to the sum of all human knowledge? It's shallower than a puddle in Death Valley. Good grief.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    I'm surprised Cameron doesn't try to do an informal deal with the DUP.

With approx 30 Con MPs out to get him plus the scope for LD rebellions as well it is now obvious that he can't be confident of getting anything remotely controversial through the Commons.

I guess that may not matter if he just settles for non-controversial stuff up until 2015 - most of the controversial stuff has already been done anyway.

But with the maths as it is, it seems obvious to me that the DUP MPs are now important. If they had voted with the Government last night he would have won.

I think it's highly likely they will be the deciding factor on some more votes in the future. So he should give them some type of "inducement" and get their support.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I'm surprised Cameron doesn't try to do an informal deal with the DUP.

With approx 30 Con MPs out to get him plus the scope for LD rebellions as well it is now obvious that he can't be confident of getting anything remotely controversial through the Commons.

I guess that may not matter if he just settles for non-controversial stuff up until 2015 - most of the controversial stuff has already been done anyway.

But with the maths as it is, it seems obvious to me that the DUP MPs are now important. If they had voted with the Government last night he would have won.

I think it's highly likely they will be the deciding factor on some more votes in the future. So he should give them some type of "inducement" and get their support.

If he'd seen it coming he'd have had more options, not least just accepting Ed Miliband's amendment. His problem isn't so much that he doesn't have enough votes as that his party doesn't seem to be able to count the ones he has.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286

If he'd seen it coming he'd have had more options, not least just accepting Ed Miliband's amendment. His problem isn't so much that he doesn't have enough votes as that his party doesn't seem to be able to count the ones he has.

It was blindingly obvious.

I posted on here yesterday at 3pm that I wondered if Cameron may have to resign with 24 hours as it seemed obvious that he may well lose the vote.

One or two posters responded by mocking me.

I would have thought anyone with primary school maths would have been able to work it out - it was blindingly obvious what the numbers were.

To be fair I didn't know how many abstentions there would be but I guess there were simply a lot across all parties who couldn't be bothered to return from holiday.

But going forward it is simple. He has a majority of 77. With 30 Con MPs looking to cause trouble at any opportunity + scope for LD rebels then basically he is under major threat if backbenchers have any opportunity to rebel.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Hennry - Thank you for the teaser.

If Ed was strong he would announce a Shadow Cabinet entirely of his own choosing and be able to declare that he had thrown away all the trappings of both Blair and Brown and had an opposition with thought and vision that is needed for the 2020s - but as you say....

WRT the living wage, I would be grateful if you would explain how it would be paid for and how the resulting price rises would increase the Uk's global competitiveness - or will all tax credits and allowances be ditched?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    MikeL said:

I posted on here yesterday at 3pm that I wondered if Cameron may have to resign with 24 hours as it seemed obvious that he may well lose the vote.
    One or two posters responded by mocking me.

I would imagine that those mocking you were doing so safe in the knowledge that it wasn't a confidence vote and therefore there was no reason for him to resign. Planning how to win a vote iss an entirely different matter, and many of the DUP are not friendly with the Conservatives for rather good historical reasons.

• Options
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 29th August - Con 33%, Lab 37%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%; APP -26
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Ed doesn't have many people to choose from. Some of the people Henry wishes to praise seem to me very second rate. Perhaps in the second term of the current government he'll be able to muster a more capable shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    The British Chambers of Commerce has sharply upped its 2013 growth forecast, saying the economy is gaining momentum.

The business lobby group now expects 1.3% growth this year, up from 0.9%. Its forecasts for the next two years were upped to 2.2% and 2.5%.

But the BCC also warned of overseas risks to the more positive outlook, notably those posed by the eurozone, the Middle East and China's slowdown.

"Unfortunately the recovery is not yet secure," said BCC head John Longworth.

"We have had false dawns in recent years and although this upturn appears to be on stronger ground, we must be aware that complacency could lead to setbacks," the organisation's director general said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23893789
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Balls has been hamstrung imo by a deal with Darling on the one hand and the Blairites on the other to keep shtum, and presumably his replacement would be similarly bound.

Nor is it clear that Balls is actually connected to Brown in the eyes of the average voter who does not follow politics as closely as we do.

But you know who is anchored to the past, yet has been nominated to replace Balls and even backed for next Chancellor by notable pb denizens -- Alistair Darling.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I haven't even noticed Caroline Flint at all - niftier than what?
    GeoffM said:

Cheers for a tedious thread opener, mixing obvious statements with snide partisanship. We heard about how wonderful Henry Manson thought Labour individuals were in his last hagiography, so there was no need to reprint the same enervating dullness.

Caroline Flint has been nifty on her feet over energy issues and looks like a smart survivor who can adapt.

What does that sentence add to the sum of all human knowledge? It's shallower than a puddle in Death Valley. Good grief.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Last night's vote was a crushing blow to David Cameron's authority. He's seriously weakened as a result.

But Ed Miliband needs to pray that the Syrian government doesn't commit any more atrocities. Because David Cameron is going to lay them all at his door from now on.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Well donw everyone'
    More gas for Syria.
    More bodies.
    More popcorn.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881
    antifrank said:

Last night's vote was a crushing blow to David Cameron's authority. He's seriously weakened as a result.

But Ed Miliband needs to pray that the Syrian government doesn't commit any more atrocities. Because David Cameron is going to lay them all at his door from now on.

What I find really strange are the people who claim that chemical weapons are no worse than conventional munitions, and that they are not WMD.

It's like they're trying to downplay the seriousness of the attacks so that we don't have to do anything.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Let's hope that from now on the West accept that bombing countries who's behaviour they find unacceptable is consigned to the last century and they find a more civilized way to confront international outrages.

The fact that Israel were able to use phosphorus bombs in Gaza without sanction shows it to be no more than bullying by the powerful on the weak.

This not only causes resentment but teaches that physical power is everything and encourages powerless nations to go on a weapons chase

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/16/phosphorus-bombs-video-israel-gaza
  • Options
    Following the discussion about it last week, I've just reread Njal's Saga. It's every bit as good as I remembered it, with a whole society of living characters summoned into your mind with apparent effortlessness. It's a great story too.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop The decision for Britain not to intervene in Syria was probably right. But some of the reasoning being given for inaction is shambolic.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

The most revealing sentence was "it's harder to hit a moving target".

Let's not forget that Miliband made promises to the Prime Minister about a matter of national security following a briefing on privy counsel terms.

He then retraded with the aim of embarassing the PM.

It seems there are two options:

(1) He is a untrustworthy person who thinks of nothing but political advantage
    (2) He can be leant on by others that disagree

Either way he is unfit to be Prime Minister. This is not to say that he *won't* be Prime Minister, but I truly believe he will be absolutely terrible at the job.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Last night's vote was a crushing blow to David Cameron's authority. He's seriously weakened as a result. But Ed Miliband needs to pray that the Syrian government doesn't commit any more atrocities. Because David Cameron is going to lay them all at his door from now on.

I agree entirely - missed this big news last night but when the news came on at 7am on R5 my chronological thoughts were:

1. Cameron's strength and leadership looks to have taken a big hit and he must be a smaller figure now on the world stage

2. Miliband's 'weak' tag seems less appropriate

3. but his quotes on R5 were all about Cameron's leadership sounded like partisan pettyness given the issues.

4. The news then went on to report apparant Napalming of a school in Aleppo and an interview with the head about the children killed.

5. This looks to be the video on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23892594

Not a proud moment.
  • Options
    FPT @Mike

"Farron, the elected party president, was amongst 14 LD abstentions. 9 others LD MPs voted against."

So over half the party voted in favour? Surely political suicide for those not already dead.

The Lib Dem Party conference should be a hoot!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    One might reflect this morning whether the Prime Minister should consider handing in the seals of his office to HM The Queen.

It is unprecedented for a Prime Minister to be defeated on the floor of the HoC on a matter of such foreign policy significance, importance and gravity and if the Prime Minister cannot command the support of the Commons then his position has been severely undermined.

There is no gainsaying the scale of the personal defeat that the Prime Minister has suffered to his standing, authority and credibility with 39 Coalition MP's voting against the government.

As a firm supporter of this Prime Minister it is with a heavy heart that I say that Mr Cameron must consider his position.

It is my firm hope that he stays and it is most likely that he will but there must be a possibility that the Prime Minister quietly and soberly reflects with colleagues and family and drives to the palace next week to tender his resignation.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Let's hope that from now on the West accept that bombing countries who's behaviour they find unacceptable is consigned to the last century and they find a more civilized way to confront international outrages.

The fact that Israel were able to use phosphorus bombs in Gaza without sanction shows it to be no more than bullying by the powerful on the weak.

This not only causes resentment but teaches that physical power is everything and encourages powerless nations to go on a weapons chase

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/16/phosphorus-bombs-video-israel-gaza

@Roger

"they find a more civilized way to confront international outrages."

Please will you give some examples that will work quickly, be backed by most nations and will be effective and not ignored.
  • Options
    @JackW It's 10/1 with Ladbrokes that David Cameron will leave the post of PM in 2013. This morning that's not a stupid bet (though I'm not making it).
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Where`s the `Cameron is crap` thread?
  • Options

5. This looks to be the video on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23892594

Not a proud moment.

*Everyone* should watch video. It is horrific. What kind of regime would be happy to do that?

Let's hope that Obama acts and that the West delivers a firm message to the regime. Britain may be free riding on that action - but if Obama backslides I fear for all of us.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JackW said:

One might reflect this morning whether the Prime Minister should consider handing in the seals of his office to HM The Queen.

It is unprecedented for a Prime Minister to be defeated on the floor of the HoC on a matter of such foreign policy significance, importance and gravity and if the Prime Minister cannot command the support of the Commons then his position has been severely undermined.

There is no gainsaying the scale of the personal defeat that the Prime Minister has suffered to his standing, authority and credibility with 39 Coalition MP's voting against the government.

As a firm supporter of this Prime Minister it is with a heavy heart that I say that Mr Cameron must consider his position.

It is my firm hope that he stays and it is most likely that he will but there must be a possibility that the Prime Minister quietly and soberly reflects with colleagues and family and drives to the palace next week to tender his resignation.

Blimey. My reflection this morning is that Dave should also have backed the Labour amendment. It would have cost him virtually nothing. He was blindsided to that way out by his ego.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Jessop

"What I find really strange are the people who claim that chemical weapons are no worse than conventional munitions, and that they are not WMD."

I find the idea that some ways of killing your enemies are more civilized than others preposterous. Bit if there was a scale top of the list would be those weapons that kill and maim the most people. Top of the list would be nuclear.

How can any sane person claim that a chemical weapon that killed two hundred in Syria is worse than an atomic bomb that killed 100.000 in Hiroshima?
  • Options
    @anitfrank

"Last night's vote was a crushing blow to David Cameron's authority. He's seriously weakened as a result."

Totally disagree, he acknowledged the will of Parliament and is not barred from returning to the subject if matters in Syria do not improve or worsen.

The weakness from all sides was that nobody and no party came up with an end-point scenario which would not look like another Iraq2 and would improve the lives of all the people of Syria.

It is noticeable that Obama has not described an end-point scenario and that is the fatal weakness in his positioning - also the people of the USA do not fancy another failed intervention that will result in more US bodies being flown home.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

The morning is the westminster-bubble commentary on implications for Cameron's and Ed's leadership whilst the news shows atrocities that we are now standing-by.

Did tim ever answer me if this was Ed M's Kosovo?

Tim Montgomerie‏@TimMontgomerie1h
    An Australian MP tells me: The nation of Churchill looks more like the nation of Chamberlain this morning.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges32m
    Just heard Ed Miliband giving a lecture on leadership. Seriously.

PoliticsHome‏@politicshome19m
    Paddy Ashdown: "In all my years of serving my country I don't think I've ever felt more depressed, nor more ashamed."
  • Options
    Roger said:

How can any sane person claim that a chemical weapon that killed two hundred in Syria is worse than an atomic bomb that killed 100.000 in Hiroshima?

I don't think anyone is claiming that chemical weapons are worse than nuclear weapons.

There is a line. ABC weapons are on one side of it, conventional weapons are on the other.

It is the indiscrimiante and disproportionate nature of ABC weapons that make them unacceptable.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    That is a very sober comment.

I said last night befor the vote that Ian Martin comment below was correct.

"Cameron says" he simply wants to deter Assad from using this stuff in future. But that is simply not credible. Bombing the regime would obviously be interpreted by Syria and its allies as a change in the status of our involvement"

The British parliament did not find Camerons position credible .
  • Options

Paddy Ashdown: "In all my years of serving my country I don't think I've ever felt more depressed, nor more ashamed."

Ashdown's speech to the Lords last night was one of the best I've heard him give.
  • Options
    I don't want us in Syria - but this is now on Miliband's hands

Jeremy Bowen @BowenBBC
    govt shelling into the rebel held suburbs in #Damascus this morning. Huge column of smoke about 15 mins ago, still drifting across sky
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I went to bed early last evening secure in the knowledge that an inept Miliband had rallied Tory MPs to Cameron's banner, thanks to the insight provided by a number of tweeting political commentators and like-minded contributors to pb.com. And yet Cameron lost the vote.

How did that happen?
  • Options
    @Roger No one is currently proposing using nuclear weapons, while it seems fairly clear that President Assad is entirely comfortable using chemical weapons.
  • Options
    RT @RealPengy: Which way did Gordon Brown vote on #Syria? He was what? At home? Surely not, Sooty.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Blimey. My reflection this morning is that Dave should also have backed the Labour amendment. It would have cost him virtually nothing. He was blindsided to that way out by his ego.
    The Prime Minister has been diminished by an honourable defeat but the LotO has been even further diminished by his dishonourable double dealing and dissembling.

• Options
    I am pleased that parliament decided we won't get involved in another country's civil war where we have no legitimate interests.

I am pleased that parliament was strengthened at the expense of the executive.

I think this means we will be much, much less likely to get involved in future military actions unless there is a clear and direct UK interest. Good.

I am pleased Dave stated clearly his belief and principles, was voted down, and then graciously accepted the outcome. His authority is damaged in the short term but his integrity is enhanced. He lost honourably.

I am pleased it is utterly apparent that Miliband said one thing to Dave then hours later reneged. He emerges looking a bit less weak but also a shit, untrustworthy on matters of national importance and happy to play party politics with matters as serious as war. He won disreputably.

I am pleased Dave got a wake up call that he needs to keep his party on-side and cannot take his backbenchers or the yellow peril for granted.

Overall a very good night for the UK.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

The morning is the westminster-bubble commentary on implications for Cameron's and Ed's leadership whilst the news shows atrocities that we are now standing-by.

Did tim ever answer me if this was Ed M's Kosovo?

Tim Montgomerie‏@TimMontgomerie1h
    An Australian MP tells me: The nation of Churchill looks more like the nation of Chamberlain this morning.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges32m
    Just heard Ed Miliband giving a lecture on leadership. Seriously.

So while 100000 people were killed,they felt OK.When 350 more were killed by CW,they felt outraged.And they couldn`t even wait for the evidence to emerge and had to take action this weekend!Crazy adrenaline fuelled rush into war just because you can is not a good policy.If evidence emerges about Assad`s involvement and the allies have a specific plan which doesn`t make things worse then it needs to be supported and not this headlong rush into madness.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    I have received an email signed Ed saying:

"My position is clear: any action that our country supports must be legal, legitimate and effective. Our country must not make the same mistakes that happened ten years ago."

Is that a sorry for the last Labour Government?
  • Options
    I agree - this seems to be a fuss up generated by the media and partisan sorts. Cameron put it to the vote and lost - yes its bad news but actually I think its democracy in action - some of his own team appeared to be asleep at the wheel like Ms Greening. Reshuffle time...
    Financier said:

@anitfrank

"Last night's vote was a crushing blow to David Cameron's authority. He's seriously weakened as a result."

Totally disagree, he acknowledged the will of Parliament and is not barred from returning to the subject if matters in Syria do not improve or worsen.

The weakness from all sides was that nobody and no party came up with an end-point scenario which would not look like another Iraq2 and would improve the lives of all the people of Syria.

It is noticeable that Obama has not described an end-point scenario and that is the fatal weakness in his positioning - also the people of the USA do not fancy another failed intervention that will result in more US bodies being flown home.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Sorry Henry but no real interest in the pygmies on the Labour front bench who will not get into government any time soon.

I suspect the media are over-egging the effect of last night's vote. Most people are against us lurching into another war. The shadow of Blair's lies hung over the House of Commons last night.

David Cameron may have got a slap on the face but unlike Blair, he didn't lie to the country and he has agreed to follow the wishes of the country. If however there are further atrocities in Syria, I hope journalists will ask Ed Bland to explain how his position has worked to prevent them!

Perhaps it is time for Britain to reflect upon the fact that we are no longer an Imperial power and we should not be first to rush to police the rest of the world. Let the Saudi's or Israel sort out Syria. No-one thinks any less of Angela Merkel because Germany is not getting involved in Syria. We are a small island of 63 million people off the west coast of Europe. Time for us to act like that. However if it was Gib or the Falklands, that would be a different matter as they are UK territories.
  • Options
    JackW said:

@JackW

Usually we are in accord, but here I must disagree with you. Cameron would be doing the country a disservice if he resigned on a non-resigning matter.

The most important matter for this country is regaining economic stability and improving, growth, education and employment. Syria is a sideshow that threatened to divert his attention from what is really important for the people of the UK.

If the violent factionalism in Syria and the rest of the Middle East spreads to the UK Muslims, then he will have to deal with that problem first before matters outside the UK.
  • Options
    Gazza50Gazza50 Posts: 6
    "I am pleased it is utterly apparent that Miliband said one thing to Dave then hours later reneged. "

This is entirely according to Dan Hodges, Miliband's most implacable foe in the media for three years. Miliband has sounded conspicuously cautious notes all the way through, but this has been gratefully accepted by tories as the new orthodoxy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JackW said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

The Prime Minister has been diminished by an honourable defeat but the LotO has been even further diminished by his dishonourable double dealing and dissembling.

EdM gave the PM a clear way out. No10 was too busy swearing to take it.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

No doubt. But Cameron will have to be believed by an electorate that overwhelmingly rejected British involvement. If he is not, such accusations will cost him dear.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Clegg should be looking at his position as deputy pm, he could have kept the coalition together by advising Cameron to back the Labour amendment.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Jeremy Bowen @BowenBBC
    govt shelling into the rebel held suburbs in #Damascus this morning. Huge column of smoke about 15 mins ago, still drifting across sky

Are you seriously suggesting that the Syrian civil war would have ended today if Cameron had been able to persuade nearly 100 more government MPs to support his line?

• Options
    Financier said:

JackW said:

@JackW

Usually we are in accord, but here I must disagree with you. Cameron would be doing the country a disservice if he resigned on a non-resigning matter.

The most important matter for this country is regaining economic stability and improving, growth, education and employment. Syria is a sideshow that threatened to divert his attention from what is really important for the people of the UK.

If the violent factionalism in Syria and the rest of the Middle East spreads to the UK Muslims, then he will have to deal with that problem first before matters outside the UK.
    No Prime Minister in over 200 years has lost a vote of such gravity.

Make no mistake this is very clearly a matter for the Prime Minister to consider his position and of course economic matters are vastly important but the "Clapham Terminal Omnibus" awaits those who think themselves indispensable !!

• Options
    @Financier

"Please will you give some examples that will work quickly, be backed by most nations and will be effective and not ignored."

DavidL wrote an excellent post yesterday morning where he suggested making outrages like this a matter of personal responsibility.

If as was suspected this was the work of Assad's brother then it could be agreed that he has to be handed in to face trial together with his associates. This would surely command international agreement and it could be agreed that no country would supply weapons until he'd been handed over for trial. Much easier to get China and Russia onboard and it could be applied to powerful countries like Israel too.
  • Options

Sorry Henry but no real interest in the pygmies on the Labour front bench who will not get into government any time soon.

I suspect the media are over-egging the effect of last night's vote. Most people are against us lurching into another war. The shadow of Blair's lies hung over the House of Commons last night.

David Cameron may have got a slap on the face but unlike Blair, he didn't lie to the country and he has agreed to follow the wishes of the country. If however there are further atrocities in Syria, I hope journalists will ask Ed Bland to explain how his position has worked to prevent them!

Perhaps it is time for Britain to reflect upon the fact that we are no longer an Imperial power and we should not be first to rush to police the rest of the world. Let the Saudi's or Israel sort out Syria. No-one thinks any less of Angela Merkel because Germany is not getting involved in Syria. We are a small island of 63 million people off the west coast of Europe. Time for us to act like that. However if it was Gib or the Falklands, that would be a different matter as they are UK territories.

@Easterross

Totally agree, honesty will always be respected. Dissembling looks like using a situation purely for political purposes and not caring about the effect on or the wishes of the electorate.
  • Options

I went to bed early last evening secure in the knowledge that an inept Miliband had rallied Tory MPs to Cameron's banner, thanks to the insight provided by a number of tweeting political commentators and like-minded contributors to pb.com. And yet Cameron lost the vote.

How did that happen?

We discussed this bit on the last thread, but apparently some Tory MPs didn't hear the division bell.

I wonder if this is another sign of the leadership having a hard time adjusting to the threat from UKIP. They failed to consider that MPs from places like Boston and Skegness where people are making very noisy threats to their jobs may have developed hearing loss.
  • Options
    The Syrian dogs of war have just been unleashed..pity the poor Syrians
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    JackW said:

FWIW Tony Blair did make it clear that he'd resign if the Commons voted against the Iraq involvement, though it wasn't put forward as a major argument for waverers, more as a personal decision. But as someone here pointed out last night, Cameron has taken a more detached view as PM - he doesn't pin himself to the mast on issues. Parliament doesn't agree with something? OK, we won't do it. Next! The approach has its merits - it makes votes more sober and less of a psychodrama. It also makes it harder to get stuff through and probably would even if he had a majority.
  • Options
    Gazza50 said:

"I am pleased it is utterly apparent that Miliband said one thing to Dave then hours later reneged. "

This is entirely according to Dan Hodges, Miliband's most implacable foe in the media for three years. Miliband has sounded conspicuously cautious notes all the way through, but this has been gratefully accepted by tories as the new orthodoxy.

I read exactly the same story (with slightly less detail) in the independent.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Financier

"Please will you give some examples that will work quickly, be backed by most nations and will be effective and not ignored."

DavidL wrote an excellent post yesterday morning where he suggested making outrages like this a matter of personal responsibility.

If as was suspected this was the work of Assad's brother then it could be agreed that he has to be handed in to face trial together with his associates. This would surely command international agreement and it could be agreed that no country would supply weapons until he'd been handed over for trial. Much easier to get China and Russia onboard and it could be applied to powerful countries like Israel too.

Russia, at present under Putin, will do almost anything to keep its base in the Med and I do not see Putin agreeing to such action - alternate suggestion please.
  • Options

Plato said:

Jeremy Bowen @BowenBBC

Are you seriously suggesting that the Syrian civil war would have ended today if Cameron had been able to persuade nearly 100 more government MPs to support his line?

Its not worth answering Southam its pathetic rubbish from Plato what else do you expect.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Jessop

"What I find really strange are the people who claim that chemical weapons are no worse than conventional munitions, and that they are not WMD."

I find the idea that some ways of killing your enemies are more civilized than others preposterous. Bit if there was a scale top of the list would be those weapons that kill and maim the most people. Top of the list would be nuclear.

I find your position on this whole thing not just preposterous, but sick; your comments on Assad yesterday were a sign of a person who has no real idea of the issues.

For one thing, from your comments above I assume you think that all arms limitations treaties should be torn up, as they are all equally uncivilised?

After all, last night's vote has just torn up the chemical weapons' treaties.

Perhaps you should read the following excerpts:
    Death by gas was often slow and painful. According to Denis Winter (Death's Men, 1978), a fatal dose of phosgene eventually led to "shallow breathing and retching, pulse up to 120, an ashen face and the discharge of four pints (2 litres) of yellow liquid from the lungs each hour for the 48 of the drowning spasms."
    Many of those who survived a gas attack were scarred for life. Respiratory disease and failing eyesight were common post-war afflictions. Of the Canadians who, without any effective protection, had withstood the first chlorine attacks during 2nd Ypres, 60% of the casualties had to be repatriated and half of these were still unfit by the end of the war, over three years later.
    In reading the statistics of the time, one should bear the longer term in mind. Many of those who were fairly soon recorded as fit for service were left with scar tissue in their lungs. This tissue was susceptible to tuberculosis attack. It was from this that many of the 1918 casualties died, around the time of the Second World War, shortly before sulfa drugs became widely available for its treatment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_weapons_in_World_War_I#Casualties
  • Options
    Gazza50Gazza50 Posts: 6

The Independent also quotes Dan Hodges, at length. The entire story has come from him.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

EdM gave the PM a clear way out. No10 was too busy swearing to take it.
    Ed's alternative was to do nothing. For the reasons given yesterday, it was a do-nothing amendment.

With no other alternative given.

And in the meantime, people die.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Plato said:

Jeremy Bowen @BowenBBC

Its not worth answering Southam its pathetic rubbish from Plato what else do you expect.
    Awww - I love you too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Mildly surprised Cameron lost the vote. Given this wouldn't have authorised immediate military action and a second vote was needed it seems a bit odd. However, I was against an intervention, so that's a plus at least.

The spectacle of two identical motions, one Government, one Opposition, a lot of bad blood and two defeats is not a splendid sight.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Roger said:

@Jessop

You are aware that the most deadly bombing in human history was carried out not with WMD but with conventional weapons? What makes 100,000 deaths at Hiroshima less acceptable than 150,000 deaths in the Tokyo firestorm?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Living wage is sloganising nonsense.

Which of Labour's MPs were effective ministers under Blair or Brown, can Miliband afford to drop them or not? Burnham out of his depth as a Minister - look at this evidence to Francis and weep.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

If the two motions were so similar, why did Miliband put down his in the first place, if not for partisan advantage i.e. to be able to claim that he was leading government policy? As soon as Miliband made it clear that Labour would vote against the government it became inevitable that the government benches would have to vote against his for the same reason.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A lot nonsense being spouted on Twiiter about Britain's diminished relationship with America and the end to our semi-great power status.,

They seem to forget Wilson kept us out of Vietnam (another horrible pointless war) and it changed nothing.

Cameron is, however, diminished: it was utterly plain the people dud not want this war. His arrogance got the better of him. Meanwhile Miliband looks a more ruthless yer more unsavoury figure. I doubt this will dramatically influence the polls.

But will Obama do? America is equally opposed to war. I reckon he will just lob a few stray missiles, if anything.

I have to agree with all that Seant
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This Syrian thing is going to run forever.. more popcorn needed.
    Beats the Jackson Trial into a cocked hat.
    Doncha just love the pic of all the dead kids on Guidos site..all mocked up and played by the Young Syrian Drama Academy students of course
    Makes you proud to be British.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Financier said:

JackW said:

@JackW

No Prime Minister in over 200 years has lost a vote of such gravity.

Make no mistake this is very clearly a matter for the Prime Minister to consider his position and of course economic matters are vastly important but the "Clapham Terminal Omnibus" awaits those who think themselves indispensable !!

JackW:

I disagree with the degree of gravity of the vote - please could you expand on that point. The Gov. motion was always subject to a later vote and also depended on the findings of the UN inspectors - lots of hurdles to jump before any action was agreed. It would however have sent a mild shot across the bows of Assad, but not as effective as a NATO or a UN vote.

Yes, nobody is indispensable but I do not think that Cameron will look at it that way, but of the importance of the work that may not get done if he left. It would a derogation of his greater responsibility if he resigned on on what was really a far less important and vital matter.
  • Options
    Given that the government was apparently deeply concerned about the welfare of Syrian civilians, to the point where they were prepared to risk both British and Syrian lives to help them, but they've proved unable to protect them per their initial plan, presumably they'll now be allowing for large numbers of Syrian refugees to live in Britain?

If not, a cynical person might wonder whether they were being honest about the goals of the military action they were proposing.
  • Options
    Gazza50 said:

The Independent also quotes Dan Hodges, at length. The entire story has come from him.

I agree that's the web story currently, but it's not what I remember reading yesterday on the plane (it could of been the i - I read them both).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    SeanT said:

Death is often slow and painful. That's what it does. Singling out chemical weapons for banning when 1 we have used them (agent Orange) 2 our allies have used them (Israel) 3 we reserve the right to use nukes (which kill millions, often slowly and horribly) is absurd and hypocritical.

Have *we* used Agent Orange? Sources, please.

So I guess you want the existing chemical weapons' treaties ripped up? Or should we actually try to make sure they are enforced, and prevent the use of these hideous weapons?

If we can get treaties for other weapons to be banned as well, good. But that will only be effective if we ensure existing treaties are enforced.

Which we are not.

Hopefully one thing to come out of this mess will be a process whereby nations and leaders can be held to account for their use. We are nowhere near that yet.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Roger said:

@Financier

Russia, at present under Putin, will do almost anything to keep its base in the Med and I do not see Putin agreeing to such action - alternate suggestion please.
    The country that would block this arrangement is not Russia but the USA who would not agree in principle to handing over American citizens, and who have by far the most official and unofficial "military advisors" in war zones around the world, who'd face a clamour for their arrest the next time a drone wipes out a wedding party.
  • Options
    JackW said:

One reason why it's unprecedented is that parliament has rarely had the opportunity to debate foreign policy matters of this importance before they took place.

The fact is that Cameron rightly never made it a confidence matter. There is no evidence that his ministry has lost the confidence of the House and there is no reason to resign. Indeed, no-one is calling on him to do so. I believe his Syrian policy was misguided and had I been in the House I hope I'd have had the strength to have followed my convictions and voted No to both motions, as that's how I'd have voted from behind this computer. I would not, however, be calling for him to resign as a result of losing the vote. On the contrary. At the moment, he's the best PM the country could have.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    A long term political impact of last night is now that Gove probably has no chance of being leader. You can't go round accusing people you want to lead as being in collusion with people who are using chemical weapons.
  • Options

JackW said:

FWIW Tony Blair did make it clear that he'd resign if the Commons voted against the Iraq involvement, though it wasn't put forward as a major argument for waverers, more as a personal decision. But as someone here pointed out last night, Cameron has taken a more detached view as PM - he doesn't pin himself to the mast on issues. Parliament doesn't agree with something? OK, we won't do it. Next! The approach has its merits - it makes votes more sober and less of a psychodrama. It also makes it harder to get stuff through and probably would even if he had a majority.
    I fundamentally disagree Nick.

On the one hand as PM of a Coalition government Cameron is more detached from some aspects of government but on the Syria issue both the PM and Clegg couldn't have pinned their colours closer to the mast and indeed the whole ship !! .... and neither initially could Miliband. However as soon a choppier waters developed Ed struck different colours and shipped into the first available lifeboat !!

Sorry Nick but whilst it's common knowledge that I don't rate Ed his recent behaviour has been appalling. Frankly he's a sh*t and little wonder his brother couldn't stand to serve under him and buggered off from parliament and distanced himself to New York !!

• Options

JackW said:

It's also the case that by the time of the vote in 2003, Blair had already deployed about half the British armed forces to the Middle East. To have lost that vote would have required a U-turn on a different order of magnitude from that required as a result of yesterday's vote. Blair was also clearly much further out of line with his own party than Cameron is with his, and consequently, Iraq was much more Blair's personal policy and a defeat on it, a defeat against him. But as you say, in constitutional terms, the key difference was that Blair had effectively made it a vote of confidence in his premiership by stating that he'd resign if the vote went down; Cameron made no such commitment.
  • Options
    The difference with Wilson and Vietnam is that it was the PM who said No to the US. Yesterday, the PM could not carry Parliament; nearly 100 government MPs failed to back him. That will not harm him domestically too much; but internationally it will. And by extension, that diminishes the UK's standing. "Are you sure, Mr Cameron? Can you persuade your Parliament?"
  • Options

JackW said:

One reason why it's unprecedented is that parliament has rarely had the opportunity to debate foreign policy matters of this importance before they took place.

The fact is that Cameron rightly never made it a confidence matter. There is no evidence that his ministry has lost the confidence of the House and there is no reason to resign. Indeed, no-one is calling on him to do so. I believe his Syrian policy was misguided and had I been in the House I hope I'd have had the strength to have followed my convictions and voted No to both motions, as that's how I'd have voted from behind this computer. I would not, however, be calling for him to resign as a result of losing the vote.
    Agreed. Putting the vote parliament and going along with the result represents an almost unprecedented outbreak of good government. Can someone write a pseudonymous letter to The Times or whatever it is you have to do to make this permanent feature of the British constitution?
  • Options
    MichaelWhite @MichaelWhite
    @adamboultonSKY Perhaps yes. But Geoffrey Howe once reminded me that " nothing is ever as good or as bad as it looks on the day." Wise words
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Apologies but airport run beckons .... Sadly not 39 Coalition rebel MP's to Damascus !!

Will reply to points made later.
  • Options

JackW said:

The fact is that Cameron rightly never made it a confidence matter. There is no evidence that his ministry has lost the confidence of the House and there is no reason to resign. Indeed, no-one is calling on him to do so. I believe his Syrian policy was misguided and had I been in the House I hope I'd have had the strength to have followed my convictions and voted No to both motions, as that's how I'd have voted from behind this computer. I would not, however, be calling for him to resign as a result of losing the vote. On the contrary. At the moment, he's the best PM the country could have.
    David

I too, if I had been an MP last night, would have voted against both motions as both were incomplete. You cannot say you are going to do something without saying what the end result will/might be. Sloppy thinking on all sides of all parties in the HoC. Too much looking at what Blair did/did not do in 2003 and not enough original thinking.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, 'failed to back him' is a rather dubious way of putting it.

"Thirty Conservative and nine Liberal Democrat MPs voted against the government's motion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23892783

Besides which, 'Government' MPs would apparently include the Lib Dems.

The comments in that piece are almost entirely pleased with the result, and many consider it a victory for the people/Parliament rather than a defeat for Cameron.
  • Options
    tim said:

@LadPolitics: Ladbrokes: William Hague now 5/1 favourite to be next Cabinet Minister out.

m.twitter.com/LadPolitics

He's just a joke now,Cameron could shore himself up a bit by moving Osborne to the Foreign Office and Theresa May to Number Eleven

The interesting dynamic is between Hague and Cameron, who are the two big losers (pace Dan Hodges) of last night's vote. If Cameron goes, Hague can become caretaker PM but if Cameron wishes to stay, or if Hague wants Cameron to stay, Hague's resignation can shield the Prime Minister. I might be "talking my book" after backing Hague to resign but unlike most of his colleagues, he knows he will not be elected leader again.
  • Options

The difference with Wilson and Vietnam is that it was the PM who said No to the US. Yesterday, the PM could not carry Parliament; nearly 100 government MPs failed to back him. That will not harm him domestically too much; but internationally it will. And by extension, that diminishes the UK's standing. "Are you sure, Mr Cameron? Can you persuade your Parliament?"

I believe on this topic that Obama has yet to get the backing of either House in Washington?
  • Options

Mr. Observer, 'failed to back him' is a rather dubious way of putting it.

"Thirty Conservative and nine Liberal Democrat MPs voted against the government's motion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23892783

Besides which, 'Government' MPs would apparently include the Lib Dems.

The comments in that piece are almost entirely pleased with the result, and many consider it a victory for the people/Parliament rather than a defeat for Cameron.

As I say, domestically yesterday's defeat will have little impact. It is a matter of record that close to 100 government MPs failed to back Cameron last night.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Financier said:

I believe on this topic that Obama has yet to get the backing of either House in Washington?
    I believe he doesn't have to, nor did he intend to.
  • Options
    Financier said:

He doesn't need them. The US views executive decisions as a matter for the Executive.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, 'failed to back'? The majority of those also 'failed to oppose'. You can't claim abstenstions as being for or against either side. By that definition it could be said of almost every MP that a majority of the electorate 'failed to back' them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Interesting though Henry G's article's are, surely today's focus should be on who is going to take over from Cameron now that the Tory Party has turned it's leader into a Lame Duck?

This morning's headlines are atrocious for Cameron and this is just start. There is no way he can continue long-term with no authority.
  • Options
    Assad is probably laughing his socks off this morning.. as he orders more gas..
    Well done everyone.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Jessop

"I find your position on this whole thing not just preposterous, but sick; your comments on Assad yesterday were a sign of a person who has no real idea of the issues.

Having worked in Beirut several times and having many friends there my knowledge of the situation is better than on many more domestic issues!

The first time I went it was occupied by Syria and to get from my hotel to the studio I had to pass three Syrian checkpoints. The soldiers were so badly paid they'd let anyone through for a packet of fags

I was told two members of my crew were the Christian phalangists who had planted a bomb on the Palestinian school bus killing 42 children. An event credited with starting the second of the Lebanese civil wars.

Despite being occupied by Syria our labourers were all Syrian. They were picked up by coach at 4 AM and driven across the Beka to arrive at the studio for 7. They were returned at the end of the day arriving home at midnight. Their pay was half that of the Lebanese and Syrians were the only Muslims ever used on any of the shoots I worked on.

There's no point in going on. It's a very different part of the world and the way they do things is quite different from anything most here would recognize.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, it'll be very interesting to see how the polling changes regarding both parties and leaders.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, 'failed to back'? The majority of those also 'failed to oppose'. You can't claim abstenstions as being for or against either side. By that definition it could be said of almost every MP that a majority of the electorate 'failed to back' them.

Did any MP achieve an absolute majority at the last election? I thought not but stand to be corrected. They'd have needed something like a 60%+ share on an 80%+ turnout.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Interesting though Henry G's article's are, surely today's focus should be on who is going to take over from Cameron now that the Tory Party has turned it's leader into a Lame Duck?

This morning's headlines are atrocious for Cameron and this is just start. There is no way he can continue long-term with no authority.

Golly - what enormous hyperbole. I've only read PB and Twitter and think its a bump in road given that most of the population were already against action. That's what the HoC is meant to do - he lost a vote - it wasn't a confidence one.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    "Andy Burnham has been able to defend Labour’s health record"

Sorry Henry, I only made it that far before collapsing in giggles....
  • Options
    Quite.

Jamie Foster @1jamiefoster
    Weakness? EIther you want Blair's presidential style leadership or you want Cameron's respect for Parliament. Make your choice.
  • Options
    tim - is this Ed M's Kosovo?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    "Having worked in Beirut several times and having many friends there my knowledge of the situation is better than on many more domestic issues!"

Sorry Roger, I only made it that far before collapsing in giggles....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The once mighty arm of the British People has been lopped off at the shoulder by weak Politicians;
    Every one of them shoukd be given a framed pic of the dead children, gassed by Assad.
    Their deaths will go unacknowledged so that cowardly men and women in the UK can sleep at nights .
    Weak.
    We are the laughing stock of the world today.
This discussion has been closed.